Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    You are too much.

Now, does that law specifically say wipers or windshield wipers? In other words, is the rear wiper considered under the law?

And no, don't bother answering.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Virginia law requires motorists to use headlights during inclement weather such as rain, fog, snow or sleet when visibility is reduced to 500 feet. You must use your headlights whenever you use your windshield wipers as a result of bad weather.

Yeah, those powerful windshield washers on the Mazda3 can cause localized flash flooding and heavy downpours if you aren't careful. ;)

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/vadm/vadm2-4.asp
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/vadm/vadm2-4.asp

Am I cross-eyed or is the handsignals section at the bottom backwards? It says to make a left turn you signal right. And since when is the steering wheel on the passenger side?
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    ABS is of very little benefit in snow and in a lot of cases, more of a detriment. It works well in wet and slick conditions and on dry roads too, but not in deep snow. Personally, I hate ABS brakes as you lose so much feel and in some cases, locking the brakes to manevour can be a good thing. Provided of course, you know what you're doing.

As for traction control in the winter....get a good set of snow tires. They make all the difference in the winter and you will be greatly surprised at the stability and traction a good set will offer you.

Lastly, the best value for money would be for you to invest in some specialized winter and emergency driver training. No amount of snow tires, ABS or traction control will ever compensate for someone who does not know how to handle a car in adverse or emergency conditions. Driver education and ability cannot be replaced. It is shocking how few people think this is a worthwhile investment, but are willing to spend thousands on crap like traction control and ABS. All of which will be relatively useless to them anyway if they still don't know how to handle the car equipped with it.
    best value ... would be ... to invest in some specialized winter and emergency driver training

Any school or program that you'd recommend or did you learn this another way?
    Just pretend you are behind a vehicle where the driver of that vehicle in front of you is making those hand gestures (hopefully, only those hand gestures)

Now, do you see it?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "No amount of snow tires, ABS or traction control will ever compensate for someone who does not know how to handle a car in adverse or emergency conditions."

Well said! My point exactly. I encourage people to practice on empty, snow-covered parking lots. If you live "up north", frozen lakes work great too!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Chacobleu is right, that's the view from behind the car. Seeing it the way you're seeing it caused me to flunk the driver's test the first time I took it at age 15 and some number of months. :blush:
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Too many drivers think that because they have 4X4 and/or traction control they can drive at posted speed limits on snow and ice coated roads. It ain't so. You should always drive slower, much slower to hold traction. "I'm a good driver" -- you may be in ideal conditions -- but hotdogging leads to dead dogging in bad weather. Don't put all of your faith in snow tires, ABS, and traction control, which are aids, not guarantees.

Front wheel drive cars do very well if you are careful and maintain traction. Do not spin the drive wheels when traction is lost -- they will over-heat and may burst into flames. Give them as little power as possible to get traction back.

The day after a blizzard in southern Germany, and you know Bavaria gets snow, I drove 350 miles on "bald eagles", no tread at all, with no problems. Dozens of BMWs and Mercedes were stuck on hills, I crept around them and went on. The car was RWD, but light, a compact 4MT. Just take it slow and you will get there. One thing, if the snow is deeper than your ground clearance you will have trouble driving and most likely get stuck.

fowler3
    Indeed!

Meade
    Going back to something you said about drivers from the north loosing control on icy/snowy roads of the mid-Atlantic. Nothing new. When I lived in NY, I saw plenty of cars, 4x4, pickup trucks, etc. with all different types of license plates (Canadian, included) in a ditch somewhere along a road or a highway on a snowy/icy day, waiting for a tow. Then I moved to New Jersey and guess what, the more things change the more they stay the same.
  • rosenattirosenatti Member Posts: 15
    This has nothing to do with driving on ice, sorry. :)

But. It does have to do with bicycling. Specifically: Can a bike fit into the back of the Mazda3 hatch without removing on of its (the bike's!) wheels? Is there enough room?
  • massdriver1massdriver1 Member Posts: 20
    I'm sure you can get a bike in there NP. I 've gotten my MT bike in my 6 with the front wheel on, and I have the sedan. It was tough maneuvering it in the opening without scratching my car, but it did fit nice once inside.
    The hatch opening will make it so easy. Next Time, I'll use my truck.
  • massdriver1massdriver1 Member Posts: 20
    RE: my last post. Yeah I know, wrong forum. I have a Mazda6. Don't know if a bike will fit in the 3 hatch. Maybe I wasn't equipped with that cranial option mentioned above.
    Can a bike fit into the back ... without removing on [sic] of its (the bike's!) wheels? Is there enough room?
    tough maneuvering it in the opening without scratching my car, but it did fit nice once inside.

If you don't mind me asking why not use the quick release on the bike wheel? A few old beach towels are handy for avoiding scuffs to the car and bike.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I think it'd be kinda tight getting a bike to lie down between the back of the front seats and the hatch liftgate, but it might work if it's a small-framed bike.

Meade
    I like to keep a rug rolled up on the back of the car (or the trunk). Then you can unroll it and put it over the rear bumper, and it keeps the carpet clean (my bike tends to be a little dirty most of the time).
    Get the trunk liner and rear-bumper step plate like I've got on my hatch. Tell ya what; that liner is worth its weight in gold!

Meade
    Don't know how I lived without it before.
    I still don't have an answer: Does it fit on a Mazda 3 roof? The accessory rack bars for the Mazda 5 are flush with the bracket, so it looks 10x better than the aftermarket, where the bars are longer or extend beyond the brackets.

This website offers something very, very, very similar (in look) for both the Axela 3 sedan and hatch. But they're in Japan, so shipping costs would practically double the price. BTW - the description states it is made by Thule, but Thule USA doesn't carry it. http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/pic143/016-107.htm

GREAT PLACE TO PUT A BIKE.
    www.trythat.ca

Thanks for the lead, Tim. Being an F1 fan, I can indulge my fantasies with sites like this. The 4 hour skid control course in the Purple section looks most interesting. I found the special note about drivers over 240 lbs. or 6 ft. 2" curious, I wonder what they propose for them?
  • xxx5xxx5 Member Posts: 2
    Here's one for you guys 04 3 152000 miles
    just tuned up & cleaned fuel system drove 261 miles at 73 to 75, go 28 mpg
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    You've got 152000 miles on an '04 model Mazda3??????
  • xxx5xxx5 Member Posts: 2
    You bet. Drive as an IC all over northeast
  • rhesterrhester Member Posts: 29
    Holy smoke, that's about 75k a year!
    Based on 250 working days a year, that would be an average of about 300 miles per day. :surprise:
  • jersbajersba Member Posts: 2
    So, does anyone really know if a a large frame ( 58-60cm) bicycle with both wheels on fit inside the hatch ( with seats down of course ). So far the posts seem to be unsure. Removing a wheel is an option but on some types of bikes it's a real pain. I am a prospective owner and this is important to me. The dealers are not enamored with stuffing your bike inside the car on a test drive.

Thanks
    If it's that important to you ...

Take your bike to the dealership and find out! Tell you what, if it was a "make it or break it" decision for me, I wouldn't care what they thought!

Meade
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I agree with Meade...bring the bike with you. Over the years we have seen folks bring in all kinds of things. Dogs, kids, bikes, musical inst, large boxes, etc...

If you buy the car and it doesn't fit you won't be happy...so just let the dealer know this is a decision maker. if it fits you buy the car if it doesn't you don't.
    For hahas, tell the dealer you want to trade the bike in for new wheels.
    Don't laugh, but a while back my bike was worth more than my car.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    I've traded in vehicles that I thought they might ask me to pay them to take away!
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    Mazda has finally updated their web site to reflect the 06 models. I was under the impression that the 06 3's would have a 5 speed automatic transmission rather than a 4 speed as listed in the web site.

Is this something that is a late availability option?
    It's listed there -- as an option. The 3 is available with a 5-speed manual or a 4- or 5-speed automatic.

But why are we looking at automatics anyway? The stick is 10 times more fun!!!

:shades:

Meade
  • jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    I asked my Mazda dealer and they did not have any listing for roof racks for the Mazda 5 in their parts department.

If they had a listing I guess you could order one and see if it fits.

Have you removed the plastic moldings in your roof to see if there are mounting holes for a roof rack?

If so how would you attach it?

Would it be necessary to remove and re-install the head liner?
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    Meade,

The car is for my wife and she cannot drive a stick. I have attempted several times to teach her with no luck. If you have some time and a car with a very strong manual transmission and could teach my wife maybe a 5 speed is in our future. We are selling our Volvo S60 and buying a loaded 3 under the S plan.

I was amazed at how much better this car feels compared to the S60. It feels very planted and connected to the road in the way a BMW feels. Mazda/Ford have done their homework on this vehicle and quite a bargain for what one is getting.
    Agree!

Problem is that this world has too many straight lines - where's the fun in that?
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Has anyone seen this color in person? It looks like a darker orange vs the Lava Orange from 2005. Just curious. Also, I see heated seats are an option for the 2006 S...DOH! Heated seats would be SO NICE!
  • ssawyerssawyer Member Posts: 3
    I can't remember when I test drove the car, but I thought the 2006 Mazda3 had a 5-speed automatic. Edmunds shows a 5-speed automatic as an option. When I look at the inventory for cars from my local dealer, it shows a 4-speed automatic. I left my brochure at work, but I could swear it said 5-speed automatic.
    I've seen the Copper Red Mica in person. It's more red than orange, and I like it even though I usually don't like red cars.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    The 5 speed auto is only available with the 2.3 liter engine. So only on the 5 door and the "S" sedans. The 2.0 in the "i" sedan is still coupled to a 4 speed as the auto option. Maybe you were looking at an "i" sedan. Also the dealer could have made a mistake in the inventory.
    Great job, Mazda, in updating your website.

I have a lava orange hatch. When I was searching for a vehicle several months ago, the Mazda website showed the same color now, for the copper red, as it did for the lava orange, then. I think my 19" flat panel Dell monitor translates colors fairly well. First, that isn't the copper red posted on the Mazda site. Second, lava orange looks much better than what they have depicted on their site. Under the brightest sun of New Jersey (don't ask me to elaborate), in the middle of the summer, the lava orange still looks less orange/yellow than what's depicted.

I've seen an amateur picture of a copper red sedan, and it reminds me of my previous Dark Toreador Red Contour. If copper red was out for 05, I would have picked that over lava orange.
    The Mazda Canadian site shows a much more accurate depiction of copper red. Go ahead and build/price the vehicle; make sure you select the 3 Sport and then make sure you select the GT trim (the GS shows only velocity red for red colors).
  • x5918x5918 Member Posts: 30
    An interesting new color choice?

I had immense toruble of getting this relatively simple combination (silver, hb, manual) - this in Dallas metropolitan area, with 10 major Mazda dealerships, serving over 5 million people.

About the TRUE COLORS in the car pictures: it is very difficult to get a fair digital representation of the color (except for black?) as you would experience it while standing infront of the car - you have to see the car in real life.

Why so difficult: 1) the sample car is waxed and polished with detailing product X by person NN... 2) light shines on the car in various angles and intensities... 3) a digital camera converts illumination levels and hues/saturation to digital information... 4) the image is retouched and compressed for Web presentation... 5) then the image is dispayed on a monitor... 6) a human compares the color hues/saturation with memories of previously seen cars of similar color

Your monitor is UNLIKELY to be calibrated to the source image. Different screen viewing angles may produce different intensities and contrasts for the constituent R,G,B components, representing the image. What you see is NOT what you get. After you buy the car, the waxing will provide a wide variation in visual stimuli from day to day. So in essance: NTSC -- Never The Same Color... as my electronics professor referred to the acronym.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    As others have said above, the 5AT is on the s models only. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the '05 s with 4AT, that is if anyone bothers to test it. The Mazda6 s now has 6-speed automatic and I've not see a review/test of it anywhere, but I digress. The new transmission in the s helps EPA fuel economy ratings from 24/29 to 25/31. I wonder if it will also improve acceleration?

The only test I've seen of an automatic 3 s was in Motor Trend in July of this year. Their test car did 0-60 in 8.6 seconds. Pretty dang good for an automatic compact if you must have an automatic.

The dealer near me had two of the Copper Red models and, though I usually hate anything near orange, I thought it was kinda cool looking. My biggest concern would be that it is a "fad" color and a few years from now might hurt on resale/trade-in.

I've had a tough time finding a 3 s in the Winning Blue color. That is the color I'd want and the only ones I've found anywhere near me have been one sedan and two hatchbacks and they were all Grand Touring models and two of them were automatic. Ugh! I want the Touring model with 5-speed and would take Sedan or Hatchback. Oh well, I'll find it eventually. And now I've got my $500 Zoom Zoom coupon! :D:D
    I agree with you on the color variations. But you can't ignore one site vs. the other.

I've seen, in person, a Mazda 5 in platinum silver something or other. It has a hint or tint of green to it. The Mazda Canada site is very close to showing the real thing. The Mazda USA site shows a silver vehicle, period. Same computer, same monitor; different sites.

Its obvious to me that eventhough copper red replaced lava/sunset orange, the correct color change was not made to the Mazda USA site as it was on Mazda Canada site.
    SORRY SORRY SORRY

"I've seen, in person, a Mazda 5 in platinum silver something or other"

CORRECTION :(

The correct color name (only) is Stellar Greensilver Metallic.

It's a really nice color in person, not on line.
  • carshopper14carshopper14 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have the exact same question--I believe my frame is a bit smaller 56.

What have you found out? Will it fit? Any other feedback you have on the 3 would be great.

Thanks!

Mark
  • jersbajersba Member Posts: 2
    I had one definite yes from another site. Of course the front wheel is perpendicular to the frame and he had to move the seat forward slightly. He did not specify frame size but said it was a road bike. Did not try it with a Mt. bike.

Also, had a response from a VW Golf owner and he made it fit. I think (?) the Golf is smaller in hatch area.

The Toyota Matrix is a sure fit with pass. seat folded over. Plastic floor good ( easy to clean) and bad ( stuff slides ). My opinion, Not at all as nice a car form and function as the 3..
  • manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    Blueguy:

That is a fantastic buy, if you can get $300-$500 over invoice for a Mazda 3. It is rated as a more popular car than a Honda Civic 06. Been trying to buy a Honda Civic 06. $300 to $500 over MSRP is what the salesmen are trying to get from me. Some want more. Why?

Manny
  • manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    Chaco:

The difference between a good navigation system and a not so good system matters a lot.

I have the experience using a Handheld GPS enabled computer hooked up to the dash board. It is not possible to put it directly in the line of sigt. It is tiny. The audio is very low.

It is not very effective. So this discussion is relevant. Honda does an aggressive job promoting theirs, more so than Mazda. But I would like to hear from people who have used both.

The Mazda system is hidden when not in use. This is an advantage. Several of my co-workers had their Navigation Systems yanked from their car.

And of all places, it happened in the workplace garage. The Navi Systems have replaced Airbags, and Xenon Lights as theif magnets.

And for someone old enough to remember, I have seen cars with empty radio spots. And some cars in the New York City area with a printed carboard message card on their window.
    "Don't Bother Breaking in, the Radio is already Stolen."

This is what I am worried about.

Manny
This discussion has been closed.