Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    still have my Corolla for the 7th year and still running fine and no problems resulting from topping the gas tank off (I've heard some people saying topping it off is bad for your vehicle, didn't investigate the reason why though).

I have heard the same from mechanics on a local TV program called Autotalk. Basically, going beyond the click of the gas pump may overload the fuel tank system; my recollection is that the extra fuel drowns a device (sensor? canister?)in the fuel tank that is used by the main computer to determine the fuel level. Repairs to the device can be costly. The host recommended that people not overfill their tank; don't keep pumping beyond the click to "top it up".
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    I see. It will make me further look into it now since you've told me that. Of couse I don't want to do costly repairs in the future and I never had a problem with my Corolla from 7 years of topping it off. It really pisses me off that I only have 10 gallons in the tank and I can't use the advertised 13.2 galloons on it. Same with my cousin's 06 Civic, stops at around 10-11 gallons. Now my M3 is doing it at around 11-12 gallons out of the 14.5 gallon tank.
  • mtbmikemtbmike Member Posts: 2
    it was the charcoal canister that the overfilled fuel flowed into, and i've read recently that systems have been improved over the years and that no longer happens. But i still stop at the first click of the pump... not sure i believe it's really changed.

MS3, black, 1700 miles, only issue so far is a sticking purge valve.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Another reason for not over-filling is that you are releasing gasoline vapors into the atmosphere. Modern fuel nozzles are designed to mitigate this source of air pollution, but topping off defeats this feature, somewhat.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• johnnyb7johnnyb7 Member Posts: 1
    Ahhhh. I was also trying to see the trip computer information on the cluster. What button needs to be pressed to cycle between the clock and fuel computer?
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Ahhhh. I was also trying to see the trip computer information on the cluster. What button needs to be pressed to cycle between the clock and fuel computer? "

"Set" to see the computer, "clock" to get back to the clock. I believe it goes back to clock when you shut the car off, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Has anyone heard anything about the next generation of Mazda3? From what I have read, the 2008 Mazda3 is a refresh; it has the same engine and most of the same features as earlier models.

Considering that the car is now in its fifth year is it likely that the next generation will be next year (2008) or the year after (2009)?

Also, considering that Mazda shares its engines across different products, is there any news about a new engine for Mazda that the Mazda3 would likely inherit in the future?

Is there any news about a future Ford product using a spruced up engine from Mazda?

Here's hoping that the future Mazda3 hatchback will shed several hundred pounds and come with a more fuel efficient but still performance-oriented engine.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Here's hoping that it has elements of the new 6. I thought I read that the new 4 cyl for the '09 6 is supposed to be bumped up to 2.5L and produce approx 180hp. But I can't find the site at this minute.

Dave
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    180 hp from a 2.5 sounds decent. better than the 5 cyl in vw, but still not as efficient as the current engines in the accord and altima. (4 cyl 2.4 with at least 177 hp and 4 cyl 2.5 with 175.)
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    We currently have an '03 MPV which we're pretty happy with, but our family is shrinking (not really, but the number of kids living at home will be decreasing) and we may want to downsize a bit. While we're thinking about downsizing, we don't want to lose the utility of a hatchback wagon as we have several dogs, and we'll still need a grocery getter.

I will say we've had our share of reliability issues with the MPV. Thankfully, they all occured and were fixed while the vehicle was still under warranty. None of the issues were major and I do think the overall build quality and reliability of Mazdas in general is top notch, which is why we're considering another one. The only real gripe I have about Mazda is they always seem to be lagging behind Honda and Toyota in terms of fuel economy. I don't know if their engine technologies aren't as advanced as those of Honda and Toyota, but when comparing similar vehicles, the Mazdas always seem to be less fuel efficient.

The main reason we're looking at a change in vehicles is fuel economy. My wife is the primary driver of the MPV, and would also be of the 3 as well. Almost all of her driving is in the city. We average about 19 MPG with MPV, which I guess isn't too bad considering it's a minivan, but we'd rather have something that gets more like mid to high 20's in the city. With the MPV, there was only one engine choice. With the 3 there are two, and on paper there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of difference between the them. However, I know sometimes this can misleading. Are there many differences between the 2.0 and the 2.3 engines and if so, what are they? Which one gets the best mileage (the smaller engine doesn't always get better mileage)? Is the 2.0 doggy? Which one is the most reliable. I know the 3.0 Duratec engine in the MPV is bullet proof and I would hope its replacement would be as well.

Also, I've noticed the automatic trannies in the 2.3 liter models are 5 speeds. Are these trannies made by JATCO like the ones in the MPV? If so, I really like their trannies. Who makes the 4 speed auto in the 2.0 liter models?

If there's anything else any of you think I need know about the 3 before I consider buying one, I'd definitely like to hear about it.
  • marscatmarscat Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Mazda 3. My tires lasted only 12000 and that was pushing it. My front passenger tire had a big egg on the side of it. The tires are built for speed not logevity. The tires really grab the road, but also feel every bump in the road. I don't like the car on road trips. I paid $1100 to get new tires. So just add that to the price. It's a shame because for the most part I like the car.
    Also the front dash is a black material that really seems to radiate heat even if you have put up a windsheild shade. Good news is that the AC works great.
    The best mileage that I've recorded is 29. (In manual on the highway.)
    I love the zoom zoom zoom, though. And the hatchback allows me to transport all kind of things. I recommend getting the back bumper protectors and the rubber tray that you can get off the internet is a must.
    I, too would like to see better gas mileage from cars. I plan on waiting a year to see how the hybrids pan out then I'm selling my Mazda.
    Is your's the 2.0 or 2.3 liter? The best mileage you've gotten is only 29 on the highway? That's what I'm talking about with the fuel economy of the Mazdas. If this was a Honda or a Toyota, it would probably get high 20's in town, and 35 highway. Mazda needs to play catch up with their fuel economy technology. I believe we're going to be seeing $4 a gallon gas next summer and these 20 MPG vehicles just ain't gonna cut it.
    ...more input than this. I guess this is kind of a dead topic right now. :(
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I guess this is kind of a dead topic right now.

I didn't think that you would be interested in my 3. FWIW, my 4200 mile Mazdaspeed3 is averaging @22 mpg in mostly suburban driving. If I could resist the urge to keep my foot to the floor I could possibly see 24 mpg- which is the number the pocket protector crowd at Consumer Reports averaged.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    Has for mileage, I own a 2004 MZ3 hatch and average 32MPG for 80% highway. Its a little more than The ciovic and Corolla but I have lots more power and torque. Plus the car is heavier and rides on larger tire. Has for reliability, I still have the same breaks and went to the garage only for TSB. So for me this car is great :)
    I don't know if their engine technologies aren't as advanced as those of Honda and Toyota, but when comparing similar vehicles, the Mazdas always seem to be less fuel efficient.
    Agreed. I think Mazda has some homework to do. According to Consumer Reports the manual 2.0L of the Mazda3 has the best overall mileage of the Mazda3s.
    I think Mazda has some homework to do.

You aren't kidding. At the strip it seems that the fastest pure stock Mazdaspeed3s can just barely break into the high thirteens. I hope Mazda gets its act together... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'll forego the 13 second 1/4 miles for 40 MPG any day of the week.
    I'll forego the 13 second 1/4 miles for 40 MPG any day of the week.

To each his own; I'll forego 40 MPG for a 13 second quarter as long as I'm able to drive.
    That said, if/when BMW NA decides to bring the 335d to the US I'll finally have the best of both worlds- a car that will click off a low 14/high 13 second quarter yet still average 35 MPG.
    Until then, I'll gladly "endure" the Mazdaspeed's 22 MPG fuel economy, as it's a very reasonable trade-off for the borderline quick acceleration numbers.

With $4 a gallon gas looming around the corner, I'm afraid you are in the minority.
    With $4 a gallon gas looming around the corner, I'm afraid you are in the minority.

So what? I'll pay a quite a few extra $$$ to escape automotive boredom any time...

• jazzminjazzmin Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to purchase a small hatchback, and coming off a BMW 325, I think the Mazda3 might end up being my choice as it's sounding from my research that it'll be the most fun to drive, and I like the looks. My local dealer has lots of 2007s and 2008s available, but the majority of them are equipped with an air dam, which is a $400 (MSRP) option. I understand what the air dam is for, but being a middle-aged woman, I'm not influenced by the appearance and I'm not sure that the function of the thing is worth that much to me. Any thoughts? Also, I don't want the Sirius option and many of their cars have that, also. Is that something that can be removed from the car? I'll be iPodding instead. I want to find out about these issues from objective people, not salespersons at the dealer. Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    like the looks. My local dealer has lots of 2007s and 2008s available, but the majority of them are equipped with an air dam, which is a $400 (MSRP) option. I understand what the air dam is for, but being a middle-aged woman,

Forget the air dam, ask the dealer to get you one that doesn't have one. It's mostly useless except for scraping low driveways. :blush:
    I usually don't get air dams, spoilers or anything since it really won't work until about 70mph anyway. unless the car is genuinely aerodynamic, and maybe the MazdaSpeed3 is. But the Mazda 3 it's just a piece of plastic that weighs more and most don't look good after they get a bit scraped up.
    Tell the dealer what you want no air dam and no Sirius radio, sheesh that's why there are CD's and Ipods.
    If they can't remove it they can find you one without it,or remove it. When I bought my WRX I told them, no spoiler. They said ok and it wasn't there on the one I bought.
    Dealers want to sell cars, be up front tell them what you do and do not want, and insist that you don't care if the car has it as long as you don't have to pay for it. These add-ons are merely to increase the price.
    Yeah, that's my feeling, too. I'm willing to pay for safety and handling features, but the rest of that stuff - no. I just don't want to go in there and have someone tell me they "can't" remove any of those options that I don't want. I hate buying new cars and all the BS that goes along with it, but I'm also stubborn and don't want to cave to their crap. :mad:
    I'm assuming that the air dam and Sirius are factory installed. If that's the case you should simply find a 3 without those options, either by having the dealer locate one or else by going to a different dealer. That's what I did when I decided to purchase my Mazdaspeed3. I wanted a specific color with no options and my salesman found one and had it trucked in at no additional charge.

Right, they are already installed on the in-stock cars. It actually make me suspect that that's one reason this particular dealer has so many cars available - they all seem to have a lot of options like the Sirius and air dams that a lot of people probably don't want. Another dealer in our area has fewer cars, but they have few options. They just don't have as many colors, since they have fewer to choose from, but I'll find out about getting one ordered.
    I'll find out about getting one ordered.

While ordering (and especially when signing a contract) remember to list the date by which you want the car to be delievered. A colleague had to wait nearly half a year to get her car because the dealership did not have the particular model she wanted. They kept trying to have her change her mind and take one from the lot. With a date clause in the contract you could walk away from the deal and get your deposit back.
    Good point. Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    For the record I routinely get the epa milage with my 3 hatch (2.3 litre 5 speed manual), and this is driving at 70-80 mph. If I could manage to drive at 60-65 mph for a whole tank I am sure that I could beat the epa estimates. BTW I don't think engine technology is thereason the Mazdas do a bit worse for milage, I think it is the gearing, Mazda wants the cars to feel powerful for passing in top gear so they are geared for performance, I.e. they are reving quite high, I think with the 2.3 at least there is good power even down low and they could have geared the car more for economy by dropping the revs on the highway by at least 500 rpm, I think that would have made up most of the difference in milage betweeen a cicic/corrolla and a 3.
    Scott
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Those big 17" tires/wheels don't do much for gas mileage, either.. Big sporty air dams, etc, etc.... Those all increase drag and/or friction.

I think the engine technology is okay.. the efficiency/power trade-off seems good. But, sporty options (and most Mazda3 are pretty sporty, compared to the average Civic or Corolla) will put a hit on mileage..

Worth the trade-off, IMO...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

(and most Mazda3 are pretty sporty, compared to the average Civic or Corolla)

Mazdas tend to be more driver-oriented than the equivalent Hondas and Toyotas. There's certainly a market for inexpensive yet fun to drive cars. Honda used to be the major player in that niche, but now -like Toyota- their cars are becoming plain vanilla transportation appliances(Civic Si and S2000 excepted).

Like I said, while YOU feel that way, I'm sure most people would rahter have better fuel economy.
    I'm sure most people would rahter have better fuel economy.

I guess that explains why a lot of Mazda dealers have put ADM stickers on their Mazdaspeed3s- and also why you can't get one on S Plan... :surprise:
    Look, I've done the math; if I drive 15,000 miles per year and average 22 mpg I'll use 682 gallons of gas. At $3.50 per gallon that works out to $2387. So, let's assume I buy a fuel sipper that will average 35 mpg. In 15,000 miles I will have used 429 gallons, which at $3.50 per gallon would amount to $1500- a savings of $887. That's $74 a month, or less than $2.50 per day. From my perspective, $2.50 a day is an extremely small price to pay to drive a car that makes me grin every time I slide behind the wheel.
    But to each his own...

As the price of gas goes up (and it will continue to do so), that number gets bigger. I'm not saying cars that put a smile on your face should go away. I'm saying auto makers should be more focussed on building more fuel efficient vehicles than they currently appear to be.
    Look, I've done the math; if I drive 15,000 miles per year and average 22 mpg I'll use 682 gallons of gas. At $3.50 per gallon that works out to $2387 ... a fuel sipper that will average 35 mpg. In 15,000 miles I will have used 429 gallons, which at $3.50 per gallon would amount to $1500- a savings of $887.

Remember that the Mazdaspeed3 uses premium fuel and the Mazda3 uses regular; the fuel savings would be around $1000 per year.

Since most drivers keep their cars for more than one year, one should also calculate the difference over a longer period (like 3 or 5 years). So, that would mean the Mazdaspeed3 is now $3000 to $5000 more than the Mazda3.

Also, one should also factor in the additional maintenance required for the turbo speed.

But, as you say, to each his own. The Mazdaspeed3 is an impressive machine.
  • iz24tooiz24too Member Posts: 2
  • iz24tooiz24too Member Posts: 2
    I notice that the 06 and older models ground clearance is a little higher -5.90 vs. 4.8 on newer models, 4.8 does seems low to me since we have snow/slush 5 months out of the year just wondering your take!? :surprise: :confuse:
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Quick suggestion, before you order one (if the dealer will even do that)- use the inventory search tool on Mazda's website. It requires a zip code and will search up to a 150 mile radius from it. If you want to expand your search beyond 150 miles, look up a zip code that is roughly 200 miles away or so. Of course, you'll have to travel to wherever you locate it to buy it but it might be worth it.

That's exactly what I did back in 12/05 when I was looking for my MZ3 5-door. I'm in Atlanta, but the closest ones I could find in Titanium Gray with manual transmission were in Knoxville TN and Charlotte NC. I ended up getting almost $2k off sticker from the dealer in Knoxville and it was well worth the three hour trip to get exactly what I wanted and not wait for it.

Your chances of getting much of a discount on an ordered car are pretty low, too. Buying one on the lot will always be a better deal as long as it's what you want.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    Not sure. Some people will be fine with plain vanilla ice cream, others will want a little more like chocolate coating, more expensive but much better, By the way Mazda rose its sale almost 30% in 2007 in the US selling almost 100k MZ3, not bad for a 4 year old style. Thats double the sale since 2004. The MZ3 has bigger motor (more HP and torque), bigger tires, and heavier cars, and still manage to be more fuel efficient than the elentra, focus, VW rabbit, jetta, Astra, caliber, optra, kia rio, rondo, sentra, cobalt (170hp, and even thge Honda fit (cruising at 70mph). IMO, the MZ3 is still a very fuel efficient car for what you get.
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    The reason why you probably didnt get many responses is because this topic has been covered quite a bit on these forums (you have to do some digging).

In any case, there's a topic about people's real world fuel economy and one also about the differences between the 2.0 and 2.3 engines.

Briefly, the 2.0 is fairly fuel efficient and looking at Consumer Report's numbers it's not that far off from the Civic in real world use. The 2.3 will not net you tons more power but it is noticeable. For me, the biggest difference is in the smoothness of the 2.3 engine. It often feels more like a v6 than a buzzy i4.

As for whether Mazda is behind Toyota and/or Honda in engine tech, it probably is considering the relative size of the R&D departments (even taking into consideration being partnered with Ford). Still, Mazda really is not dramatically behind. You have to remember that Mazda tends to design their engines with a flatter torque curve; their gearing is more aggressive as well. Some people find driving Honda i4 to be frustrating as they need more revs (in general) to achieve the same power. Thus, there are tradeoffs for the increased fuel economy observed in say a Civic vs. a Mazda3.

If what you really care about is fuel economy, then a Mazda is probably not the way to go. I would venture you should look at a hybrid if you are saving the world or a Civic (maybe even a B class vehicle) if you are saving money.
  • outingsincoutingsinc Member Posts: 9
    I am going to be road racing my 3s hatchback this coming summer and I'm wondering if anyone else is currently racing one? If so has anyone run into problems installing a SCCA approved rollcage such as driver seat movement, visability and if you can still use the rear seat or is that lost?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated as the purchase and installation is forth coming this winter.

Thanks
    If so has anyone run into problems installing a SCCA approved rollcage such as driver seat movement, visability and if you can still use the rear seat or is that lost?

I don't know about the 3 in particular, but installing a roll cage almost always compromises or eliminates rear seat accomodations. You also must remember that even a padded cage can present a danger to a passenger who isn't wearing a helmet. You might need to check some boards that are more competition oriented.

• gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Dumb question maybe, but do the small triangular rear "quarter windows" in the 5-door hatch open? I forgot to check this when we test-drove one today.
    Dumb question maybe, but do the small triangular rear "quarter windows" in the 5-door hatch open?

Not dumb, I never thought to ask either. They are fixed on my 2007 Mazdaspeed3. It would be cool if you could open them, though.

I was aware of the Mazda3, but had not really looked at one since we are typically GM people and were eagerly waiting for the new Saturn Astra to become available. So I jumped on it when Saturn offered a signup for a special preview test drive, and last Thursday we went to see what the car was like. We were already concerned by some missing features on the Astra (such as interior storage space!), but were prepared to overlook it to get the type of car that we were looking for.

At the test drive, they also had some competing cars to try (Civic sedan, Rabbit 3-door, Mazda3 5-door), and their first mistake was in the colors of the cars in their display: all the Astras and two of the competitors were in the usual white/black/gray shades, but the Mazda3 was sitting there like a jewel under the lights in Phantom Purple. Seriously, my eyes went right to it, and when we took a closer look we found all sorts of features over the Astra (usable console & armrest, cupholders, auto-climate control, etc.).

The test drive was even better, as the Mazda has about 15hp over the underpowered Astra, plus the 5-speed automatic over the 4-speed in the Saturn. Both my wife and I came out pretty underwhelmed by the Astra and impressed with the Mazda, so we visited the dealer on Saturday and have all but picked out our car (still deciding on color). And since my company supplies both GM and Ford, I get about the same discount on either.

I'd say that Saturn's test-drive policy sort of backfired on them. Without this, we never would have looked closely at the Mazda.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Howdy...

I'd go with the Phantom Purple myself...that color is truly unique and mysterious in its own way, speaking for myself! ;)

I hope Ford enables Mazda to feature it's new SYNC with all Mazdas in time, especially the 3 model.

As far as the Astra is concerned the jury is still out on that one for my Lady and myself. I've seen the 5dr version in various websites and I wasn't all that impressed. The 3dr model holds promise, IMHO. Time will tell...

Enjoy your new wheels, Mr. & Mrs. !!!

Peace<-AladdinSane-< :shades: -
    Great story! In my case I tend to prefer BMWs, but I recently bought a Mazdaspeed3 and haven't looked back. It makes my daily commute VERY entertaining. I'll always have a Bimmer in the garage, but the MS3 is an unbeatable performance bargain.

• wstamaracwstamarac Member Posts: 1
    I need to remove the cover over the Drivers side rear tire on my 05 MAZDA 3
    Hatchback in the cargo area.Short of breaking it I'm out of idea's.Any help
    would be greatly appreciated
    Well, I just ordered our Mazda3 Grand Touring in the Copper Red that is one of the previous colors that is coming back in January. This is exactly the color that we were looking for, so we're pretty fired up about this car.

It will probably not get here until late February, but that's not a problem since I never liked the idea of getting a new car in the dead of winter in Michigan anyway.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Cool! That is a sharp color. Did you pay full MSRP doing a special order like that? I was lucky to find the exact color, trim, and options (none) that I wanted on the lot at the dealer closest to my home, and their internet sales guy took $1100 off MSRP without batting an eye.
This discussion has been closed.