Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Hatchback

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
edited April 2014 in Mazda
on the Mazda3 hatch/wagon, please post it here. Thanks!

Revka
Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons.

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Might be a good idea to link it to the Mazda3 in the Sedans or Future vehicles board (forgot where it is).

Dinu
  • bpwpr5bpwpr5 Member Posts: 9
    I talked with a national Mazda rep here at the Nashville car show a couple of weeks back. He explained the Protege/Pro5 are in their last year and are to be replaced with the new Mazda3 late this fall (Nov/Dec 03) as an 04 model. The new 5-door might be called the Mazda3 SportWagon and would likely be offered in two styles--standard and a performance package (similar to the 6) with 17s, body kit, etc. The SportWagon/5-door would have the 6's 160hp 4cyl while the regular 3 would have a smaller engine. The dash architecture will be like the 6's, with the t-shaped plastanium, etc. I love the Pro5, and more hp with improved shifting and cornering based on the 6 will be incredible. Any similar news? This is the first I have heard about the car ANYWHERE, so any news to share is good.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "The SportWagon/5-door would have the 6's 160hp 4cyl while the regular 3 would have a smaller engine."

I hope this is not true....
  • eteaetea Member Posts: 30
    2003:
    Mazda P5, 130hp(2.0L) 17k USD (20,2k CAD)
    Mazda 6, 160hp(2.3L) 19k USD (24,3k CAD)
    Mazda 6s, 220hp(v6) 21,6k USD (28,2k CAD)

projections:
    Mazda3, basic 130hp(2.0L) 17,5k US
    Mazda3, sport 160hp (2.3L) 19 k US

1) Wouldn't make any sense for the Mazda3 sport package to be the same price than the Mazda 6, no?

2) Would that imply a price drop in the basic Mazda3 package?

Etea
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    going to carry over the same 2.0L are they? Not that it's a bad engine, but it's getting kind of old.
    I have no idea, I'm speculating over price / packages..

If they offer the 2.3L 160hp on the basic package, I'd get it. 17" wheels is a bit too much...
    The guy I talked to said the regular 3 would keep the existing 130hp engine, but we can hope they at least make some refinement if not hp changes. I agree it's OK, but getting tired.

The 5door will definitely be in the same price category as it is today, but I'm sure slightly higher given the bigger engine, etc. The 6 will add both a wagon and its own hatchback within the next year or two, so differentiation is important--he said they definitely want to keep the 3 5door the younger-market car, so it will still stay affordable. All versions of it should have the 160hp engine, regardless of wheel size or other package options.
    that's good news then!

I'm looking for a Mazda3, 5 doors, with the 160hp engine... but probably 15" alloy wheels and basic package.

Just looking for as much info as I can! We'll be my first brand new car, after a 1988 dodge caravan, 1988 toyota tercel hatchback (still owning it) and 1994 toyota tercel 4-dr (sold)

I hope it is as good as the P5 :) Thanks for your news!

I hope the picture I have is close to the production one (we'll find out in march I think?), it matches the spy car shots at least!
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    will not use the xisting engine in the Protege and P5. MAzda has a new family of MZR four cylinders that will be used in the M3 - including the 160HP 2.3.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Mazda has new 1.8 (?), 2.0 and 2.3L I4 engines. The smaller ones and some diesels are already offered in Mazda6 outside of NA.
    Forum:
    /direct/view/.ef130a7

Official Mazda3 hatch, according to several persons:
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28888.jpg

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28889.jpg

IMHO, I really really really dislike it..

Wish it would have been like this one:
    http://www.le9.ca/~edm/new2.jpg

Etea
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    Forum:
    mdaffron "Mazda3" Feb 14, 2003 10:45am

(Un)fortunately, lot more going there..
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    I believe that discussion is linked to both the Sedans and Future Vehicles board, so it's getting a little more exposure. If people want this one linked up, they can send the Future Board host (Kirstie) an email. Thanks again for the information. Talk later. ;-)

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    This latest "official concept" image goes along with the info I've heard/read about the car. I saw the same guy from Mazda (the mid-south regional corporate rep) at a dealer yesterday who reiterated the intent of the car to be a cross between a 6 and a Vibe. That makes the back windows/C-pillars in this image about right. Although they're not my favorite (why would you want to copy a Pontiac, even if it is a Toyota), the overall stance is tough. Our "sportif" version, as this official release calls it, should get the larger 2.4 I-4 to differentiate it from the normal 3. Let's hope. Still targeted for Nov 03 US launch--anything new on that front?
    So far, it looks like January, from what I've read.. But I hope your dealer is right! :)

Can you check the two pics I posted above? Is the rear accurate? I can't stand the hatch... it is too european to my taste..!

Etea
    Let's wait until we get a 360 of both cars before we pass serious judgements.

Dinu
    The two silver AutoBild pictures look extremeley photoshopped--esp on the hood and hatch--hence the REALLY BIG Mazda logos. Notice BOTH wheel styles from the 6 are shown here--are there really TWO entirely different prototypes out there being "photographed"? Doubt it. Although it looks a little airbrushed, too, I would trust the official release more than those more photoshopped ones.

We WILL have to wait to pass final judgement. I like the "official" one except for the back window, but I could live with it.
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Article:

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=42539

"CEO Charlie Hughes says most of the ad budget is going toward three product launches - the Mazda6, which replaces the 626 and Millenia; the RX-8 sports car, due this summer as a 2004 model; and a third new vehicle, which he declined to identify."

The 3rd vehicle being the Mazda3 around the December timeframe?

As an aside, Autobild reports that the Mazda3 will go on sale in Germany in Oct '03.

I still think that we (as in Canada) won't get it till calendar year '04.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    correct me if I'm wrong but I read that the new 2.0l engine will not be equipped with the variable valve timing (VVT) as in the case of the new 2.3l and the 3.0l V6 on the Mazda6.

Bruno
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    ...do not add "aero" cladding as part of "Sportif" package. Make it totally separate. You have already uglified american Mazda6 enough. And please, bring CVT!

And what is up with Peugeout 307 styling?

Now I just have to wait: either Matrix with 2.4 (I hope on this), or Mazda3 with 2.3 Yeah!
    They're starting to work on the packaging for the Mazda3 now. Here's some preliminary info:

4-door sedan:
    - 2 models, Mazda3i and Mazda3s (like the Mazda6). 2.0l (148hp) for the i, and 2.3l (160hp) for the s.

5-door wagon:
    - only one trim with the 2.3l engine
    148 and 160 HP?

That's a lot for a small car.

Tee Hee! Can't wait to find out more :)

Dinu
    I wasn't aware that the 4-door would get the 2.3--where is this info coming from? It would make sense, but I don't know if it would continue to be Mazda's volume leader given the obvious price difference between the two engines--how many new "Proteges" could they sell at that elevated price? Nonetheless, I hope what you say is true! The 2.3 for the 5-door is almost a sure bet, though.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I wonder what 2.0l engine that is. Anyone know if it's the Zetec?
    YOU'RE asking that, malt?

Now, I'm going to leave before the flaming starts. ;)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I'm curious...where do they get a 148hp 2.0l from?
    From my understanding, the 2.0l for the Mazda3 is the one from the European and Japanese Mazda6 (and a variant of this engine is also in the MX Sportif showing this week in Geneva).
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    This engine - 2.0 L - is from the new Mazda designed Duratec HE family as it's being called in the Ford products (displacing 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3L).
    It's available in the European Ford Mondeo and Mazda6.
    When I last checked the 6 engine options, the 2.0L engine didn't put out 145hp (converting from metric units). Then again, I did think they swapped some ratings between the gas and diesel engines as well (for instance, I think the 1.8L gas engine had some puny hp rating and a phenomenal torque rating, at a relatively low engine speed...I thought that looked wrong), so maybe the chart I based my calculations on was wrong.
  • mazdanymazdany Member Posts: 28
    Are those ratings taking into account the US emissions standards? These usually take a few horses off of Euro and Japan spec engines.
    mazdafun, yeah I was very surprised to hear the 148hp for the 2.0l too. I checked the hp ratings from the UK Mazda6 2.0l engine and it pumps out approx 140hp.

I suspect the 148hp was a typo from my source - my guess is 138hp (which makes much more sense).

I'm not sure which Geneva press day the MX Sportif will be introduced on (Mar 4 or Mar 5), but then we'll know the hp number for that engine (minus a few hp for N. America as mazdany says).

Update: New photos of the Sportif (including rear pics) at www.rx8forum.com, under the photo gallery board. It looks hot!
    As I recall, it put out just a little more power and torque than the current Protege 2.0L.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    in comparison to the new one.
    I don't think that it makes much sense to expect JUST 8 hp improvement from such an advanced design.
    I suspect it will include the variable valve timing feature in NA, similar to its 2.3L cousin.
    The Corolla's engine is nice (power throughout the power band), yet the car's dynamics aren't... Imagine getting the WHOLE package!

Dinu
    http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_geneva/mazda/1.htm

I think we've talked about enough about the exterior, what do you all think about the interior? Very, very similar to the RX-8. Will be interesting to see what makes and doesn't make the production version.
    Ugh... forget the 6: this is IT!!!

What a nice interior!!! And unlike others here, I find the exterior likeable too.

I wonder how much one with the 2.3L, 5spd, ABS, A/C, Pwr win/locks, sunroof and rear spoiler will be in CAD: say $24K Preston?

Dinu
    I'm calling my dealer when I get back from Europe to get one..!

24k CAD sounds fair (although it's the price of a basic M6!), if you get leather seets.

Too bad I can't have it for this summer/autumn... that would have been so nice!

OK, let's play the wait game!

(Any thing on the availability in NA?)
    Dinu, good that you like it. I've actually known that this will be my first car since late 2001 (hence my crazy research on this car). But I'll be getting the sedan.

As for pricing, I suspect it'll be more expensive than the current Pro/P5, with the fully loaded ones just getting into 6 territory. The Pro is Canada's 3rd best selling car so Mazda Canada has to be smart the 3.

etea, the production Mazda3 will debut at IAA Frankfurt (September). Sales in Germany start in October and I suspect it'll be a couple months earlier in Japan. Numerous MazdaUSA hints/expectations say Nov/Dec area. I suspect it'll be 1st quarter '04 for Canada.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Sorry - but the speedo gauge and the side view make me wonder why Mazda has gone and imitated the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. They could do so much better!

The specs, engine and front/rear are impressive, though. I am not a big fan of the section behind the C pillar (side view).

Like the instrument panel and stack - very 6-like, but without the shiny plastanium. Also noticed the same popup style compartment in the center of the dash - cubby-hole now, navigation later, perhaps?

I STILL like the Mazda 6 hatch much better :)
    I'd rather have a loaded (see sunroof) 3 than a GS 6 lacking it. I also prefer smaller cars, so there's another reasin why the 3 would make more sense for me.

Dinu
    Vad wrote:
    I suspect it will include the variable valve timing feature in NA, similar to its 2.3L cousin.

Sorry, I have to disagree, as I wrote above, the 2.0l on Mazda6 sale in europe doesn't have the VVT.

Bruno
    To the best of my knowledge, the europeen engine has sligly higher hp, less torque and higher rpm than its US counterpart.

Let's take an example: for 2.3l engine, UK vs US specs are:

- Power (hp): 165@6500 vs 160@6000
    - Torque (lb.ft): 153@4000 vs 155@4000
    - Compression ratio: 10.6 vs 9.7
    - Gas: premium vs regular

Engines in UK and US are usually coupled with the same manual gear box.

Same thing happens with the current 2.0l on the Protege5/Protege for UK and US.

Here is the spec of the new 2.0l in the Mazda6 in UK:

- Power: 141hp @6000
    - Torque: 134 lb.ft @4000
    - Compression ratio: 10.8
    - Gas: premium

My guess is the new 2.0l for the Mazda3 in US will have around 135-136hp, 135-136 lb.ft, a compression ratio less than 10, and can run with regular gas.

Bruno
    Dinu posted this on the Mazda3 sedan board (from a UK source covering the Geneva autoshow):

"The concept car features a 2.0-litre, 147bhp engine producing 138lb ft of pulling power. It will be joined in the 3 range by 1.4- and 1.6-litre petrol units, as well as at least one common-rail diesel."

So I suspect the N. American version of the engine will be somewhere around 140-145hp.

ashutoshsm, I completely agree with you about the gauges. I'm not familiar with the interior of the Matrix/Vibe, but the MX Sportif gauges look just like the Altima, '04 Maxima (and a few other new Nissan's), and I don't like them either. I much prefer the gauges on the Mazda6 (and Mazda2) to those of the Mazda3 (and RX-8).
    The concept has transparent light covers... but I assume that the 'normal' version will not?

In that case, how easy is it to get these and have them changed? Is Mazda selling them?

I know how to do my oil changes and basic maintenance so I guess I could do that myself, just wondering where you get those, as it's not really "tuning"...

Thanks!

Etea
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I will bet you $1 those wonderfully bolstered seats won't make it over to NA
    I wonder if those big triangular C pillars would obstruct the back visibility. I hate my sister's Open Astra for this very reason.

Bruno
    The other one probably would greatly obstruct visibility.
This discussion has been closed.