Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Ok I see Bruno's point now. The 60% doesn't necessarily mean it's a Ford part. It's just something that all three cars share. That 60% could have influence from all three companies, or just one or maybe two so it's hard to say at this point. They might have counted the Mazda engine in with that 60% since the Focus will use it too right?
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    can you show me the article that gives the number of 60% sharing? I wonder it's referred to the development cost or various parts.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Mazda because of warranty costs. Mazda has to pay for parts from Ford if it has to replace a Ford parts wise in the 3. Imagine how much money Mazda had to spend in warranty repairs when all those Ford Tranny problems happened. I would not like to think about that.

The 626 after awhile became associated with Ford. The Protege is not associated with Ford so I don't want the 3 to be. The 6 is kinda associated with Ford on consumers mind. Thats not a good thing.
    It was an autoweek article that had it. Wongpres posted them. I did a search and found them but they don't work for me. Maybe wongpres will be able to explain it better than me and can give you an active link. If I recall though the 40% is along the lines of things you see and touch. Meaning different seats, cloth, interior, exterior, etc. so they can still feel different from each other. The question is what is the 60%? I'm guessing probably none of us knows right now. I'm not too worried myself though. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say the little parts will be sourced from Japan and will be different, where as the chassis, engines, suspension and main stuff like that are part of the 60%. I could be wrong though.
    Ford and Mazda agree to develop common platforms since March 1997, and to my knowledge, they haven't sign anything about sharing various other vehicule parts. But feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "They might have counted the Mazda engine in with that 60% since the Focus will use it too right?"

If the Volvo version does not use Mazda engine, then... For the N.A. market, Volvo will only use 5-cyl, both turbo & non-turbo, so that's a Volvo engine.

The Mazda3 will not use a Ford auto tranny, 'cause even the N.A. Focus I is already using a Mazda auto tranny.
    Does that worry...? I remember its HVAC parts were from Ford, & the design sucks - when I detected bad air from outside & pushed the REC button, the vacumn-assisted recirculate mode took way too many seconds to start shutting the outside air.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Mazda6 looking like Corolla? Certainly not EVERYONE was saying this. I guess there are a few similarities but the Corolla looks so dumpy and the Mazda6 looks so damn good. It is strange, they share some design elements but the Toyota does not pull them off at all. BTW, the Mazda6 debuted before the new Corolla.
    Ok, if you go to autoweek and in the search box type in Mazda3 the third and fourth article in the search results will talk about the 60%.

I haven't read the second article before though. It talks about Hyundai. I didn't realize they were doing so well.

"Hyundai has eclipsed Mitsubishi, Volkswagen and Mazda to become the fourth largest import brand in America."

I guess a good warranty can go a long way. Sure the prices are cheap, but I think the warranty is what really does it. Struggling companies like Saab and Mazda might want to consider upping their warranties another year or two to attract customers. If Isuzu, Suzuki, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Infiniti, and others can do it, then I'm sure Mazda could too. Not saying Mazda would have to do it but if they get desperate then maybe it would help.
    Thanks. I don't think I have read this article. Interesting! I don't know 60% is based on what (cost, weight, number of components?), in any case it wasn't clear, and this percentage seems to be large indeed. Also, IMHO, the relevant information is "The program had 30 to 40 Tier 1 suppliers, not including brand-specific features."

My guess is: Just like the platform, they probably chose the "best" suppliers among those who use to deal with Volvo/Ford/Mazda. It will save the cost in two ways:

- they can negotiate a better price based on greater number of purchase.
    - they will spend less time to study, define the spec, design, and qualify the specific component.

For now, I don't see how the sharing of components could compromise the quality, and shouldn't be object of concern for us. Just my $.02.

Bruno
    Here is a fourth picture of it.

http://autotelegraaf.nl/vanonzeredactie/images/12195.1.gen.jpg

If I'm not mistaken Volvo is suppose to officially release pictures and info on the 26. Kind of a teaser until the Frankfurt show, so if anyone is interested in this car keep an eye out for that. Also here is the article where that picture comes from. Maybe Volvo already released the info or someone jumped the gun too early and released it before they were suppose to? Not really sure, but anyway here it is. I haven't translated it so I'm not sure if there's any relevant info in it about the Mazda3.

http://autotelegraaf.nl/vanonzeredactie/?id=12194
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    you know what, after seeing all three incarnations of the 'C Platform', I'd say All 3 makers did a very good job distinguishing their own version of the platform.

I like the 3 best :-D
    And that Volvo sure does have a short trunk like the Mazda3 doesn't it? But I like it, so maybe that red Mazda3 sedan was just at a bad angle because if it looks as nice as the Volvo then I'll have no problem with it.
    Someone on another forum said he has a friend that works for Mazda and said Job 1 for the US will be September 2. He said cars could be here as early as late October. I know that kind of goes against everything we've heard but I figured I would throw it out here anyway.
    Also ignore the 26 date above about the Volvo S40. It seems the pictures were leaked so Volvo went ahead and released the pictures and info today. Here is another article. Written in the same language I believe so it doesn't help any.

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=1742
  • wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    60% parts sharing:

Wow, good questions about exactly which parts & suppliers are being shared. I have no idea. But, FWIW, if you want to see the Ford Focus C-Max's suppliers (C-Max being the first vehicle on this platform), click here:

http://europe.autonews.com/files/cutawaycmax.pdf

In terms of where those 60% of shared parts are, I suspect the Mazda3/euro-FocusII/Volvo S40/V40 to be like this:

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28923.jpg
    http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/28920.jpg

Pretty similiar isnt it? Those are underhood pictures of the Mazda2 and Ford Fusion. They are platform shared (and the euro-specs are even assembled at the same factory), but they do look different on the outside.

Fortunately, as we can see with the above Volvo S40 and Euro-Focus II pics, the looks of these 3 cars will be quite different.

Mazda3 Job 1 on Sep. 2:

My earlier information was that N. American job 1 would be on Sep 16, but that was from a long time ago and Mazda could very well have changed the timetable since then (maybe production is going better than expected?).

pzev, I don't know which forum you got the Sep. 2 info from, but can you post on that forum and ask where the Mazda3 sedan is assembled? I'm starting to suspect it's not going to be Ujina (Hiroshima) plant I anymore (and I know for sure it's not Ujina plant II). The hatch is definitely at Hofu plant I though.

Mazda horsepower:

The big news from today is Mazda down-rated the RX-8 to 238hp man. & 198hp auto. Don't worry about this for the Mazda3 2.3l. In N. American spec, it has been dynoed at approx 130hp at the wheels (so the 160hp is true).
    I don't think we're allowed to post addresses to other forums on here so I won't. Also the only forum I post on is this one so I can't follow up on it unless I register there, but we're only talking about a couple of weeks at this point so we'll just see what happens. Here is an article I'm sure you've read before about where the sedan is suppose to be assembled.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=3511

As you can see it's almost a year old so it may not be accurate. That's the last I heard about it so anything beyond that I'm not sure about. You did mention though that you know for sure it's not plant #2. How do you know this? The article seems to hint that it will be, but Mazda never gave any official word in that article so there's no way to know. Also I was curious if there is any advantage in being built in one factory over another?
    I do have a question though for anybody that knows. Aren't dealers suppose to have specs and the ability to order cars for customers before the car starts being built? We've heard about Canadian dealerships having some sort of info but nothing about US dealers. Shouldn't they have gotten some info by now?
    I know this is an old article but this is the first time I've read this.

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38122

"For the U.S. market, Mazda will:

- Replace both the Millenia and aging 626 with the 6.

- Add muscle with the RX-8.

- Give the MPV a more powerful drivetrain.

- Add a second roadster to accompany the Miata."

Does anybody know anything about this second roadster? And why a second roadster, why not a coupe instead?
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    "Since Mazda holds less than 2 percent of the U.S. market, Odell says, "You could spend double your share, and you've only got a 4 percent voice. Even my math rules that one out."

Based on that insight, he says: "To me, the most efficient way to market is to get vehicles physically out to where consumers will be and start the word of mouth, which means you have to seed the message much earlier."

For the Mazda3, which replaces the Protege, that will mean "a lot of events, buzz marketing and relationship marketing," he says.

He added that the marketing plans are not final, and said he is waiting for his local marketing managers to come to him with plans."

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=44603

Dinu
    pzev, I temporarily made my email public here on Edmunds. Can you email me the forum you got the Job 1 info from, thanks.

I know the Mazda3 sedan (at least initially), won't be assembled in Ujina plant II because Ujina plant II isn't expected to re-open until 2nd quarter '04 at the earliest.

As for dealer info on the Mazda3, all I have to say is that if you look on the Mazda3 boards here, all the specs and options I posted earlier have been removed (and removed for a while now). Let's just say I got contacted. But it had already spread out too much on the internet by the that time.
    Sounds like what they did with the RX-8. For the most part I think they were successful. Of course with the wrong HP thing going on, they may lose some of the enthusiasts' support. I think it's a smart way to go at it. Word of mouth will help them tremendously, but to get that word of mouth people have to be willing to go to the dealership and give the Mazda3 a try before they go buy a Corolla or Civic. Yes some people want a sporty economy car, but the vast majority want a good price and/or reliability. The price is certainly acceptable but most rivals are cheaper. And with the Ford stigma hanging over them that doesn't help in the reliability department either. Given the choice, most economy car shoppers will go straight to Honda or Toyota for the reliability. In my opinion the key for Mazda is to be associated with reliability, else they'll have to offer large discounts. As nice as having excellent handling and a nice interior and good build quality is, shoppers want reliability. The ones that don't take that route get a Cavalier at $4000 off or get a Hyundai Elantra for the cheap price and good warranty.
    I fully agree with your post. Just yesterday I was talking to one of my closest friends about cars and he said "Mazda is Ford". I tried telling him about how only the trucks (B-series and Tribute) are, but he told me he's not interested to hear more, so we changed the subject of our conversation. This is one battle they must fight.

I think you hit it right on when you said that Mazda has to get people to just test drive their cars before going to H/T. If they can do that, their sales will increase.

Dinu
    Ok I sent you an e-mail.

Ok now I see why US dealers haven't said anything yet. I'm sure Mazda will give us some good info in a couple of weeks though.

So it would be assembled in plant #1 then right?
    Now an HP mistake with the RX-8. Mazda just doesn't stop making mistakes. Oh Man. I just wish they would just do a smooth launch of something already. The 90 Miata and 99 Protege are the only smooth lauches they have had over the last decade in change. Lets go over the botched intro's: 92 929: Acura Legend put it too shame basically. 95 Millenia: don't know what happened there. 93-97 626: Ford tranny. 98-02 626 626: Too bland style wise to compete. 95 Protege: Too bland style wise too compete. 03 6: screwy option packages and wrong cars equipped wrong on lots. This Rx-8 mistake is enexcuseable. This mistake will hurt Mazda alot I think. They had alot riding on the RX-8 and they threw it down the toilet. See thats what drives me crazy about Mazda. Mistake after mistakes and more mistakes. This stuff should not happen.
    Yeah, Mazda has a more sophisticated platform, seems to have an interior on par with Honda and Toyota, disc brakes which the Corolla or Civic don't offer, good reliability probably (although most people might not think so because it's just another Ford), and it's certainly no uglier than the Corolla or Civic. And for some being built in Japan is an advantage as well. This seems like a recipe for success. If it had a Toyota or Honda badge it would sell like hotcakes. They will have to sell on reliability, low price, or product or a combination of these. Even if the product impresses them though I think the Mazda=Ford thing will still push people to the Toyota and Honda dealership. Not only do they need word of mouth on how good the product is, but they need word of mouth on how reliable it is. Corolla buyers don't care that it has a beam suspension and the Mazda has a control blade which is far superior, it's all about the Toyota getting them from point A to point B with no troubles or hassles. The Mazda=Ford so there is going to be problems in their minds.

Mazda needs to make these cars as reliable as possible and hope CR and JD Power reflects that since a lot of average people rely on sources like this to influence their decisions. They also need improved fuel mileage and improved crash test scores. All these things weigh more on the economy car shopper's mind than the control blade suspension.

I think they have the product part down. No problems there in my opinion. I don't see them taking the cheap price or huge warranty route, this has to be about convincing Honda and Toyota shoppers to go to the Mazda dealership. This niche car stuff can't go on, they have arguably a far superior product than Honda and Toyota at a very similar price. They can win buyers over on product but they need the additional ingredients to success which is reliability (somehow get rid of the Ford stigma), crash test scores on par with Toyota and Honda, and fuel mileage on par with them. A typical buyer is going to say the Toyota and Honda offers me great fuel mileage, good crash test scores (good safety), great reliability, and good resale value at the same price as a Protege which offers only average fuel economy, average safety, and in a lot of people's minds average reliability. Short of offering huge discounts or a great warranty they'll have to improve in these areas.
    You forgot the 155hp Miata that ended up being wrong and was downgraded to 142hp I believe. Same mistake as the RX-8. You would think they would equip an RX-8 with NA emissions devices, NA fuel, and dyno the thing to make sure the HP matches up.
    make products that are over sporty. The 94-97 Honda Accord was over sporty in exterior styling according to Honda's core audience which turned off older buyers. Toyota buyers really don't care how the styling is because Toyota has never really never been associated with style.

I never really paid attention to Mazda's association with Ford. My Dad mentioned it to me in 1997. I thought since Mazda was a Japanese car company they made reliable cars. Of course I know more about the car industry than I did 6 years ago. Even American Cars are fairly reliable now.
    Yeah the Miata that was in 1998 when Mazda released a new Miata as a 99 model. Mazda at that time if I remember correctly allowed the customers to return 99 Miata's to do the horsepower number miscalculation. Hopefully they do the same thing with the RX-8 just to show that they are sorry.
    pzev:

Thanks, got your email. Again, the Mazda3 hatch is definitely at Hofu plant I. From what I know, the sedan will either be at Ujina (Hiroshima) plant I or Hofu I (same as the hatch). I just registered on the forum and will ask that fellow.

carguy58:

Yes, Mazda's doing something about the RX-8 mistake. They are going to send a letter to all US & Canadian owners and those with pre-orders that haven't taken delivery yet. The letter will give the customers 2 options:

- Mazda buy the car back
    - free scheduled maintenance for standard warranty period, plus $500 debit card

Customers then have like 30 days to respond.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Just because I need the 5 door and I have had a pretty good history of reliability in my Mazda products. AS far as why Mazda isn't gonna challenge HondYota it's all in the history. You can't beat the Civic with 350,000 sales a year for the past few years. Especially when Honda sells less than 3% to fleets. That much word-of-mouth will trump any marketing or anything out there. When the highest selling version of the Civic is the LX it goes to show you that power and handling are low on the priority list in this segment. Disc brakes and a 140hp engine ain't gonna cut it.

The reason I buy Mazda is the fact I owned a RX7 that was good to me and I'm familiar with them. It's the Mazdas that were built 2-5 years ago that are going to create the most customers for Mazda. And with those dreaded auto 626's out there, things don't look all that promising. Now the Protege with the 1.8L...That's a gem.
    Out of curiosity, why the Mazda3 over the Mazda6 hatch? If I remember correctly from the Mazda6 board, you were quite interested in that.
    You know the 93-97 626 I see alot of on highways all the time. If they were so bad why are so many still out there still running? That always got me. One time I mistaked the 93-97 626 for a Lexus and it sort of looks like a cheaper version of a Lexus on the exterior(I'm thinking it looks like a cheaper version of the mid 90's Lexus GS300.)

About the Civic if Ford hadn't messed up the Focus it would have probably outsold the Civic. I liked the Civic back in the mid to late 90's. The new ones are ok but auto magazines really weren't that enthusiastic about the 01+ Civic.

Abou the 3 hatch it looks great in the back but the front of it spoils the whole cars look.

About the whole Ford thing why do so many people buy Ford's if they their quality is bad?
    "About the Civic if Ford hadn't messed up the Focus it would have probably outsold the Civic...About the whole Ford thing why do so many people buy Ford's if they their quality is bad?"

The N.A. Focus sold more than it should, 'cause the consumers had a false security that Ford compacts have been ok in reliability for several years after the Protege-design took over the American Escort during the '90's. The real name of this 323-based Escort/Tracer body style is suppose to be Ford Laser, also built in Japan by Mazda. So the introduction of the Euro-designed Focus in America was a sudden death trap.
    "About the whole Ford thing why do so many people buy Ford's if they their quality is bad?"

My theory is that some people want to buy "American" so they will buy a car from one of the Big 3. Take a look at the sales last month. Compare the Ford Escape to the Mazda Tribute.

Ford Escape 16,168

Mazda Tribute 5,657

Also worth noting, the Mazda appears to have bigger rebates on the Tribute compared to the Escape. Also some of this can be credited to a typical SUV shopper would go to a Ford dealer first over a Mazda dealer since Ford dealerships have more SUV's to look at and test drive, etc. Tributes and Escapes are pretty much the same right? So unless the person just doesn't know they're almost the same car, why wouldn't they get a Tribute with bigger rebates and probably can negotiate a better deal since they're slower sellers? Also look at the Mazda Truck and Ford Ranger. The Mazda has a slightly better rebate also.

Ford Ranger 19,179

Mazda Truck 1,422

Also the same time a year ago, the Ranger sold 27,558 and the Mazda sold 2,069. This kind of goes back to what I said in an earlier post. If people were to look at a Mazda3 as just another Ford and as a Ford Focus clone that would not be good at all. If someone wanted a Focus they'll buy the Focus at a cheaper price compared to the Mazda3. Sure we know better, but does the average customer know better?
    "AS far as why Mazda isn't gonna challenge HondYota it's all in the history. You can't beat the Civic with 350,000 sales a year for the past few years. Especially when Honda sells less than 3% to fleets. That much word-of-mouth will trump any marketing or anything out there. When the highest selling version of the Civic is the LX it goes to show you that power and handling are low on the priority list in this segment. Disc brakes and a 140hp engine ain't gonna cut it."

I agree. But I do think they have to target the Civic and Corolla anyway, even though they have no chance in beating them in sales. Why do so many people buy those cars? Because they're looked at as reliable. People simply don't care what kind of chassis the car is on. As long as they can put a decent interior and exterior on the car they will sell with no problem. Mazda can offer a better chassis, better exterior and interior and everything else and they simply won't sell as much. Why? Because they never even consider the Mazda or it's simply another Ford. They can win some sales by getting the product out there and having people try it. If the reliability holds up then that's some good word of mouth.
    Because I love the design. I grew up on smaller cars like Civics and Corolla hatches. And one of my favorites was a 1987 Civic wagon. Don't ask me why. But the Mazda seems like it will take me back there. I would have a Protege5 if it weren't for that awful 2.0 engine.
    Shall I say "Welcome Back!"??? :)

So will you get rid if the Dodge or Accord?

Dinu
    The 88-91 Civic wagon was cool looking. The 84 Civic Wagon was cool looking which exterior design probably lasted until 87. The current SI I don't like.

As for Mazda with Ford I just thought it was the auto tranny's in the mid 90's that hurt Mazda's reputation alot not the rebadged Ford pick-ups that hurt their repuatation. Mazda really didn't really sell alot of B-Series cabs in the 80's. Was Mazda heavily associated with Ford before 1994 I wonder though.
    "My theory is that some people want to buy "American" so they will buy a car from one of the Big 3."

The Focus is built in N.A., but it's not really an American car at all, design-wise & engineering-wise. A Mazda3 or a cosmetically-different version can be rebadged as a Ford, just like the Mazda B2000 pickup imported from Japan was rebadged as Ford Courier.

"But I do think they have to target the Civic and Corolla anyway, even though they have no chance in beating them in sales. Why do so many people buy those cars? Because they're looked at as reliable."

Most people are cheapskates. From the people I talked to, they know most Japanese cars are reliable anyway, but the resale value is what determines which car to get. So they rather sacrifice driving fun for the rest of their life & live boring. I do believe Mazda's noisier fwy cruising hurts the resale value in America, however.

I'm a cheapskate, too. But I don't care. Resale value won't happen until sometime in the future when I sell the car. But my entertaining '90 Mazda Protege LX w/ Gabriel struts is also comfortably riding & lasting forever, I don't even have to sell it. Even if I will sell it eventually, what's the big difference b/t a $500 Protege & a $1000 Corolla? That $500 is well worth the fun for way over a decade.

The car I'm selling is the '98 Corolla LE 5-sp. Despite quiet for a small car, the boring steering/handling & shallow uncomfortable ride make me want to get rid of it early & therefore wastes even more $ than my worse-resale Mazda.
    On the Civic and Corolla the those have really been 2 different cars over the last two decades in change. The Civic has always had a younger audience than the Corolla. Even with the sport package on the 03 Corolla its not winning any young buyers. On the Protege the Protege has never had the attention of young buyers like the Civic has had in the past. Not alot of young people bought the Protege(1990-1998 because it wasn't appealing to a young audience.) Finally in 2001 Mazda realased the Pro 5 in the US which appealed to youth buyers. Even on a used car list that I saw they said the Protege is reliable but doesn't have anything to make it stand out.

About resale value if you are going to keep a car for 3-4 years you mine as well just lease if you don't travel alot of miles. Its not worthed to buy a car under the circumstances that I just mentioned. If you plan on keeping a car 5 years resale might be a factor in making a car buying decision. Than again 5 years is when all cars depreciate 50% from their orginal purchase value. 6 or more years of owning a car resale isn't a factor in my opinion. Some people buy a car every 2 years and take the heavy hit on losing money on a trade-in which isn't always smart.

On the reliability front Mazda does get good marks from Counsumer Reports. The 90 day surveys they don't do well in where as the Domestic Big 3 do good in those surveys but 90 days to own a car isn't enough to judge a cars reliability as we all know.

On Mazda sales Mazda sales have been down because the 626 was in its last year of body style last year so Mazda sales were down. This year the Protege is in its last year of body style and the 6 got off to a bad start sales wise in the beginning of this year. Thats why Mazda sales are down. With the whole RX-8 HP thing that will hurt Mazda sales more. I wonder if Mazda has to deduct some of their units sold of RX-8 from the year total sales so far if some RX-8's are returned to dealers.
    We are getting rid of the Dodge and the Accord for an 04 Element EX 5 speed. Then after the Mazda3 5 door comes out we'll get rid of the GS300 for it. I'll still have the LS400. And I figure after the kid turns 5 or so the G35 coupes will be getting just about ready to get cheap. If the gas isn't too expensive by then.

That is if we keep the household population down to 3.
    OK, I've seen these for 2 weeks now but I didn't want to get in trouble like when I presented the specs/options packaging. However, it's now been leaked.

http://www.autoweek.nl/forum/read.php?f=4&i=56005&t=56005
    That's one good looking car!!!

Hopefully mazda NA will not do anything stupid to change the design too much.

Dinu

PS: WOW! This looks good! Sorry, I just can't get over it :)
    Your past heroic attempts really earned respect from us!

The non-sport front end looks good in silver as if all the powerful lines integrated well w/ a V-shape theme. Maybe this is my choice.

The sport-grill front end also looks good in grey, but not in blue, which looks PT Cruiser-ish.

The sedan's short rear deck, although may look a little "compact-cheap", seems like it's design to compete w/ the upcoming BMW 1-series. In other words, this is the future BMW looks. So BMW will be accused of imitating Mazda. Watch out Mazda, the 2005 4-cyl BMW 1-series(w/ the 4-dr sedan being built here in Carolina planned) might cost only $22k. Just like the later-introduced Euro Accord(Acura TSX) seems to be copying the Mazda6, although it was Mazda that followed Honda's grill shape.

That VW interior must be the future Golf/Jetta's, as hinted by the new-A3-ish "handles at the base of the dash". This time, VW no longer followed the idiotic "piling from the bottom" dash-center layout as "pioneered" by the the Audi A4. Neither is the intelligent Mazda3's "A4-style" dashboard doing the same. This time VW still seem less intelligently designed than the Mazda3. The big screen isn't set high enough like the Mazda3's pop up unit so the driver can see the road while reading it. The center of the instrument is occupied by the warning screen that keeps the 2 main gauges wide apart from each other, making the driver doing the frequent reading of the 2 main gauges together less easily at a glance.

The Mazda3 only got black or beige interior? That sucks. Give me grey, stone green, or som'in classy as seen in the Lexus & old VW/Audi. Of the few choices, I dislike the blue/black the least.
    Another thing I don't like about this VW's design is the high center-vents location. Only a low location as found in the old Rabbit can blow straight through your right sweating palm then to your face. So the Mazda3's is slightly better located than this new VW's.
  • drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    I cannot thank you enough...

Okay, NOW I am impress with the 3
  • drumm01drumm01 Member Posts: 97
    .... VERY impressed. The sedan looks terrific in my opinion. VEry Europeean. One can notice a few parts of the M6 in this car. The shifting gear looks very similar to the 6, and well as the center console armrest.

Only one exhaust pipe? Will it come in leather?
    creakid1:

For Canadian-spec anyways, the only interior combinations are: black, beige, and sport-type (black/blue or black/red). And of course, the interior colour is dependant upon the exterior colour and trim level.

drumm01:

Yes, only one exhaust pipe. The Mazda6 isn't a true dual exhaust system anyways (it's an X-type).

Leather is available, but it's black only (not two-tone like the sport cloth).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    I'm with dinu. That is SWEEET lookin!

I am taken with the wagon. Yeah, some aspects look like a few of the X-overs of other companies, but it will, of course, be much smaller, and the front end gives it a distinct look. I am in LOVE. :)

If its quick enough and I can fit comfortably in it (i.e., power seat to fit my 6'5" frame), then I will be taking a long hard look at this when it hits here (hopefully unchanged).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S