Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Congrats on your new Mazda3 i Touring. I have an '06 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door, 5-speed manual in Titanium Grey with Black/Red interior. I like it so much that I'm seriously thinking about trading it in on a new one.

I also found the 2.0 to have more than sufficient power with the manual transmission. In the automatic versions, the power difference (and torque curve) between the 2.0 and 2.3 are a little more noticeable. You'll be thankful for the few extra MPG you'll see compared to 's' models. I wanted the 5-door bodystyle and 17" wheels, so the 2.3 was my only choice. My fuel economy is a little disappointing, but the power makes it a fair trade-off.

I also considered the Honda Civic and VW Jetta when I was shopping in 12/05. The Civic had just been released a few months prior and dealers weren't discounting. I didn't find the looks appealing either. As a final strike against it, I couldn't find any interior/exterior color combo that I actually liked. I didn't like the ivory interior at all and gray only came in exterior colors I didn't like. I do have to give kudos to Honda here- for 2008, the Civic Sedan in Taffeta White can have either Ivory or Gray interior. One of the few times they've ever offered a choice in a Civic.

I double checked on the leather steering wheel cover and you are correct, the Mazda Accessories catalog doesn't show one available. It may be because the 's' models already have it as a standard feature. Google "Mazda3+steering+wheel+cover" and see what you can find. There are some aftermarket ones available.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Mazda3 to replace my 2006. I recently changed jobs and have a 42-mile one-way commute in Atlanta traffic. The manual transmission just isn't practical given the driving conditions. An automatic is really the only way to go with that kind of drive. I'll also trade-up to a Grand Touring model, but I will stick with the 5-door bodystyle.

Enjoy!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I bought a 07 Mazda 3S 2 months ago and wanted to report it so far is a incredilble car for the money (18K). I also own (or should I say, my ex-wife now has and won't give back!) a 2004 6S that has 45K miles with 0 problems. Drove the new Civic as I have owned 3 Accords in the past; didn't drive a Jetta as I owned a 2000 Passat that I really liked until it became a reliability nightmare and soured me on VW permanantly. Corolla wasn't even a consideration- they are for chicks and old ladys. The 3 blew the Civic away in driving dynamics; also the seat on the Civic has odd placement of the headrests (tipped forward at an extreme angle) that was bothersome and I drive 25-30K miles/year, so seat comfort is key. I have about 5K on my 3, and average 32 mpg hwy/28 mixed on regular- not bad for the 2.3 In all the car is tight & quick handling as all the reviews state; road noise is a little high as it is on my 6 but the handling is a worthwhile trade-off. Build quality of the interior & exterior has been perfect; interior not quite as plush as a VW but Mazda reliabilty again is a worthy trade. The only minor thing I wish Mazda would address would be be to add trunk release to the keyless system- a minor inconvenience but important to a salesman who is in/out of the trunk a lot. As small sedans go, I think the 3 is probably the best overall- offering decent economy, a fun drive, and nice build quality for under 20K. For those looking for an economy car that has more to offer, go drive the Mazda 3, you most likely will be impressed.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I did test drive the 3i with the manu-matic, and thought it was really good for an auto. The shifter seemed backwards - you push forward to downshift and pull back to upshift - but I'd get used to it. I chose the manual to save money and for fun to drive, but if I had a commute like yours, I wouldn't have a problem getting the 3s with its 5-speed auto (i only has 4-speed auto).

Regarding steering wheel cover, has anyone tried Wheelskins?
    http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1168/96/

That turned up on the google search. Only $40, worth a shot. I've ordered a couple of free sample swatches. Will probably just go with black, but would like to see the charcoal and oak colors in person.
    I need help. Perhaps I'm just missing something obvious, but how does the cargo net go in the trunk of the Mazda3 sedan? I can't see any hooks or anything to hang it from. I don't have the offical Mazda net, I just kept the net from my old car, and it looks about the right size, but I can't see any way to install it. If you order the net from Mazda does it come with some hooks to hang it from?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    A lot of manu-matics seem to use forward for the downshift and pull back for the upshift. I'm not sure what logic (if any) is behind that. My best friend just bought a 2004 BMW 330i and the manual gate is set up the same way, I just left it in D after a few minutes of fumbling with it.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • acdacd Member Posts: 11
    I ordered the cargo net through my Mazda dealership and and installed it myself. The four attachments for the net come with the kit. You'll need a drill for installation. With some effort as well as climbing in and out of the trunk several times, I got it installed. I had a cargo net in my previous vehicle and just wanted one again. I think it was worth my trouble.
  • jskusnjskusn Member Posts: 3
    A late response since you asked this question almost three years ago but I just had the same problem. My Mazda 3 is a 2007 still under warranty. Dealer replaced a junction box. Of course it took 3 days for the part to arrive...must not be a high demand part!
  • spiffy1spiffy1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering having these put on my car...has anyone had any experience doing this or having it done? Any recommendations as to where I would go to have ths type of work performed. Thank you for your time...
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Funny to post this is in Jan, but I am having trouble w/ my present car and I'm not sure if I can wait until the summer. How is the A/C in the '07 or "08s? In '06 I test drove 3 Mazda 3s w/ temps in the '90s and the A/C did not cool the car and did not blow out that cold. I test drove an '07 w/ temps in the '90s and the a/c felt like it was blowing cold air but the car was still too hot. I rented an '06 w/ temps in the mid to upper '80s and the A/C was fine.

I have a neighbor who has an '06 w/ dak tint and his A/C does not cool the acr with temps in the '90s.

How has the A/C been for people that have '07s?
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    I have to say that it seems to be a bit of a gamble still (though maybe not more on this in a sec). We have two '07 mazda 3 sports (hatchback here in canada). Mine cools the car extremely well in the summer (and heats it well in the winter), The other seems to blow ots of cold air, but does not cool down the car as effectively, and also does't seem to heat the car as well either, so like I said maybe a bit of a gamble. Now for the possible difference, my car is phanotm purple and as such came with the grey seats, the other is phantom blue and came with the black seats, I think that part of why mine seems to cool better is that the grey seats don't hold as much heat as the black ones, I don't think either car is too bad in terms of cooling though, but the one definately takes longer to cool down than the other. So if you are looking for the best performance from the air, you may need to get the lighter seats/ interior, if you don't mind the colour of it that is.

Scott
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    If you want the black interior, you can have the windows tinted. Sure, it's an extra cost, but it'll keep you cooler and it'll make the car look better too. I have a 2006 3i, and the tinting has helped the a/c performance a lot.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    February 4, 2008

Mazda announces mid-year enhancements to Mazda3

Richmond Hill, Ontario - Mazda has announced mid-year enhancements to its Mazda3 line-up, including a new entry-level Mazda3 Sport GX model for the 2008 model year.

Unique to Canada in the North American market, the new 2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GX uses the same 148-horsepower, 2.0-litre engine found in the current Mazda3 GX and GS sedans. The new trim line includes 15-inch steel wheels, body-coloured grille, GFX front and rear bumpers, fog lamps, anti-lock brakes, side and curtain airbags and CD stereo with four speakers. An available Comfort Package adds power locks and windows, power heated mirrors, keyless entry, illuminated entry, wheel-mounted audio controls, spoiler and 15-inch alloy wheels.

Air conditioning and an automatic transmission are also available as options.

The Mazda3 Sport GS now receives air conditioning, rear spoiler, cruise control and two additional speakers as standard equipment, while the Mazda3 Sport GT receives additional standard equipment, including Xenon headlamps; its Luxury Package now also adds a power driver's seat and Bose audio with Sirius satellite radio.

The Mazda3 sedan also receives additional equipment content, with the GX gaining two extra speakers and body-coloured mirrors, along with a Comfort Package similar to the Sport GX.

The GS sedan receives body-coloured grille and standard 16-inch alloy wheels, previously available as a GS Sport Package, and will have only a stand-alone sunroof as an option. Similar to the Sport GT, the Mazda3 sedan GT receives Xenon headlamps and additions to its Luxury Package.

Pricing for the models will be available at a later date.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Pricing for the models will be available at a later date.

It will be interesting to see how Mazda deals with the recent rise of the Canadian dollar in its pricing. Several manufacturers are introducing New Canadian pricing to address the issue. Unfortunately, this is not across the board and is sometimes applied only to higher end models. As a consumer we should insist on having a clear explanation why Canadian prices do not match US prices considering our dollars are at par and the models are virtually identical.
  • kaloftuskaloftus Member Posts: 1
    My daughter uses my Mazda 3 on occasion. A month ago she was driving my car and the windshield wipers just stopped. Luckily she was near home and could get back safely. Today my husband was using my car and was on an interstate when the windshield wipers stopped again. It wasn't raining too hard and he was able to make it home okay. When my daughter had the problem a month ago, we had to have it towed to a dealership (on a Sunday) because they never started working again. Wouldn't you know the next morning the mechanic flipped the switch and they came on. He said they were frozen and when that happens, instead of burning out the motor they switch off and you have to wait and try again, which of course we had, but they never came on for us. Also, it was raining the morning they stopped working, not snowing or freezing rain, but it did get colder that day so that's why the mechanic assumed they didn't operate because they had to be frozen. We told him that it wasn't cold enough for that and he proceeded to rattle off his resume. We were not able to get a loaner from Mazda because windshield wipers not working isn't enough of a problem.

I challenge anyone in the entire universe to drive a vehicle on an interstate highway or even a residential street without their windshield wipers not operating. In all of years of car ownership I have never EVER had this happen. The fact that people, mechanics, car dealerships who sell these machines think it's no big deal is very scary. I would like for them to put their loved ones in a vehicle like that and see how they feel.

My husband took my Mazda 3 out to the dealership where we bought it from and once again, the wipers were working.....nothing they could do about it. No big deal!
    So anyone have any advice..please no jokes this car is six months old...brand new. We have owned numerous cars, all makes, models and manufacturers. This is a first and a very frightening one. First of all why wouldn't this be a covered item for a loaner so they can get to the bottom of the problem. Seems to me, brakes, tires, engines, steering wheels, windshield wipers, all fall under the bare necessities to drive a car safely.

Input on this would be appreciated. Thanks. Sorry for the length.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Well I can agree with you that lack of wipers is a safety issue as defined by the US D.O.T. and if they are not working, it's something the dealer should provide a loaner for.

Where I can't agree with you is on what you expect a dealer to do when they can't duplicate the problem. Should they arbitrarily replace parts until your problem no longer occurs? (that's a rhetorical question, btw)

So, what you need to do to help them fix your car is try to give them as many specifics as you can about when the problem occurs.

How long were the wipers running before they failed?
    What was the ambient temp?
    Was this low or high speed?
    Was there any ice build-up on the wind shield?
    etc, etc

Also, I'd suggest putting some rain-x on the wind shield in case it happens again.
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    +1 on the Rain-X. It works great!

What I would do is go to the dealership, and at least ask for them to inspect all of the connections and wiring. Reiterate to them that you understand the frustration of having to find a problem which cannot be diagnosed, but that you are very concerned with your safety. And yes, it is invaluable to provide as much detail as possible when describing a problem. Items that seem inconsequential to you, may be very important when describing the issue.
  • travis64travis64 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone know any shows coming up that might show this car off for the first time?

And when was the 08 m3 put on lots?
    When do u think they will start selling the 09?

I don't know if to get the 08 now or wait..thank you
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    It's going to be quite sometime before we see a new Mazda3. Look for it in late 2009 as a 2010 model.

The 08 Mazda3's have been out since Aug 2007. Look for the 09's to come out around the same time, Aug 2008. Basically the same model as 2008.
  • travis64travis64 Member Posts: 12
    everyone is saying its getting a redesign for 09?
    Who is "everyone"? Since I work for the company, I am sticking to my statements.
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    the new 3 is rumored to be out 09 meaning 2010 model year. The Mazda6 should be all new for the 2009 model year (meaning it should be out sometime in late 2008).

Although it's really been quiet on the Mazda6 front... who knows if things will be delayed, but that is the speculation as of now.
  • cainandabelcainandabel Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 mazda 3 sedan, i am going to buy an exhaust system but i want deep and consisent sound, which one would you perfer? :)
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    I live in the desert w/ temps in the summer being 100+ (dry heat). I have a 07' 3S (grey mica, grey seats & tint). For me, the air conditioner so far, has been cool enough. When i have to park outdoors, i use the window shade (don't know what you call it) to help keep the car cooler. It does take a short while to cool down the car of course. Hope this helps!
    I'd like to lend my voice to the chorus that is asking Mazda and other car manufacturers to give us less ... that is, less weight. I am hoping that Mazda copies its success with the Mazda2 and lowers the weight of its new Mazda3.
    "The Mazda2 is also a marvel of lightweight technology, weighing only 2,103 lbs. Mazda told us that its engineers managed to shave about 220 pounds off the former Mazda2, yet the body is stiffer, NVH is down, and safety is improved."

http://blogs.edmunds.com/?14@@/Straightline/2427
  • ramonesrockramonesrock Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2004 Mazda 3 sedan. A couple weeks ago I brought it to the dealer because it would sometimes shift hard (pause, BANG) when getting going in the morning. Dealer realized my software had not been updated since ??? despite me getting regular warranty service done on the car. There was a software patch for something called "Shift Shock" which seemed to eliminate the problem.

Until Saturday. Starting the car was fine, accelerating from zero to about 15 (I do have a heavier foot so gave it a bit of a goose to go...) and (pause BANG, pause BANG) and the car was in 3rd gear... Transmission light came on, the puzzling AT light came on and stayed on a bit and yikes. I pulled over, turned the engine off, looked at the owners manual, saw that when the AT light comes on you are warned to not drive the car.

I turned the ignition back on, both lights stayed on. I turned it off and then on again, AT light was gone. Did it again, and both lights were gone. I drove a few miles, no warning lights at all. On the way home, transmission light came on, but no AT light.

Yesterday, same thing. Fine all morning, in the late afternoon pause BANG then both warning lights. Did the turn off turn on thing again, AT light vanished, now only have the transmission light on.

Will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning, but would like to hear if anyone has any theories or experienced this themselves?

Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday so that means it's Mazda chat time again! Stop in tonight and meet and greet some of your fellow CarSpace members. We'll talk anything and everything Mazda, automotive, and just plain have a good time.

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning
    Did the dealer figure out the problem?
    Got my K&N filter today. The stock filter was not very dirty yet, but there was a coupon in the paper for $10 off at Pep Boys, and I'd been wanting one for a while. Only drove a few miles, but as with all my previous cars, I notive a definite improvement in low-end throttle response. Starting from a stop seems much easier and smoother. Hopefully I'll get a little boost in mpg too, and will report on that after a few weeks.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    And how much noisier is it now with the Klear & Noisy Filter installed?
    I haven't noticed any additional noise. I have the 3i with 2.0. Have others noticed something?
  • dpeimerdpeimer Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know anything about the Ipod Integration Module? I just purchased an '08 Grand Touring and was curious about this option. Does it enable you to control your ipod with your head unit? If so, is the interface any good? Is it worth buying or should I just stick with using the AUX jack to control my ipod.

Thanks!
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    To me I use the AUX jack on my ipod nano and ipod touch. It works great. You can use the steering wheel controls to skip songs and volume.
    I use the aux jack with my iPod classic. None of the steering wheel or head unit controls work, except of course for volume. I am unable to change tracks or anything. Not sure I would pay extra for that ability, it's not too much trouble to pick up the iPod itself to change tracks. My wife has a nano, I'll see if it does anything more with hers. What I would like is the type of connection that will charge the iPod while plugged in, although the battery life on the classic is pretty impressive. But on a longer trip I may need to get a car charger.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    "To me I use the AUX jack on my ipod nano and ipod touch. It works great. You can use the steering wheel controls to skip songs and volume."

You can't skip songs with the steering wheel controls when using the AUX jack.

Incidentally, if your Mazda3 was made after Jan. 1, 2008, the functionality of the iPod integration module is much improved.
  • cvirdencvirden Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the difference between the 3i Touring and 3i Touring Value models?
    This was posted a couple months ago. The 3i Touring Value Edition has replaced the 3i Touring - 3i Touring is no longer available.

Changes include piano black (rather than faux wood) dash applique', 17" (rather than 16") wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob, color-keyed grille (rather than chrome accent), and fog lights. Basically looks like a 3s but with the more economical 2.0 liter engine. I also think the ABS/SAB/SAC package is standard whereas it used to be optional on the 3i Touring.

Overall, a pretty neat package, for only a few hundred bucks more. Personally I like the faux wood in my 3i Touring, but I would have loved fog lights and the leather steering wheel. Also I really dig the 17" wheels, but I would not have wanted the stiffer handling and more expensive replacement tires. I'm happy with my 16"s, they look nice and are a step up from the 15"s with plastic wheel covers on the base 3i sport model.

(They also added a few new colors 1/1/08, including a really sweet shade of orange-red and metallic blue. Mine is galaxy grey metallic which I truly love, but I probably would have gone for the blue had it been available - oh well!)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    When we got our '05 3s the wife really wanted the Titanium color as it was called then. It's now Galaxy Gray like my Civic. Dealer could only locate a Sunlight Silver car for us and when we drove up to look at the color, it just blew us both away...really nice looking especially when fully detailed. We never looked back and still love the color to this day.
    Must admit, Mazda does make a nice car...nice to look at and crazy fun to drive.

The Sandman :)
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Is there an after market antenna,so I don't have to unscrew it at the carwash.
    Also, someone told me that is a mount that gives your Mada a BMW look .
    ty
  • lauradavidlauradavid Member Posts: 9
    I think the '07 acura RDX antenna mast works. Check out www.mazda3forums.com Several posters have bought the above antenna for under 10.00 at a local acura dealer.
    Thanx, I purchased a shark fin antenna that adheres over and screws down over the mast base.
    Now ,how can I get rid of the dumb cigarettete lighter plug the dealer gave me with a plain one. He gave me a plug with a line through a burning cigarette puffing smoke.
    I have been to 3 auto stores and been googling all night.I didn't think they made cars with ash trays to day. :surprise:
  • domino2332domino2332 Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    Any experiences regarding driving a Mazda3 2.0l in the winter. I live in Toronto ontario and we do get snowstorms. Last winter was pretty bad. The mazda i bought has no ABS and i will get a good set of winter tires. But just wanted anybody's input as to the driveability of the car and if its safe without ABS. The last accord i had had ABS but i didnt have snows through the winter.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    With a good set of winter tires you should be fine. ABS only assists braking, by helping to prevent the brakes from locking up, but in deep snow locking the brakes can actually bring the car to a stop quicker as long as you have a good winter tread on your tires. Without winter tires the Mazda 3 does poorly in winter, at least with the 17" performance oriented tire that came with ours.
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. Would someone who owns a 2008 Mazda 3 WITH Nav, please comment on this. It is an accurate navigation system? It is tedious to use with that controller next to the shifter? I know it may not be worth the price but I like the clean look of a nav system in a car but I need some feedback on THIS particular nav. Please help. Thanks.
    Just get a good set of winter tires . Thats all,but if you want extra safety have them put studs in them. I don't know anyone that thinks your car goes good in snow,as it has low profile performance tires. :shades:
    Use the eraser end of a pencil to punch in your data.
    It's a good system,just upgrade it every year. :shades:
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    If we can expect the new and redesigned Mazda3 within the next 12 months, then why have there been no spy shots surfacing? Isn't it about time to see some?
    Perhaps I am looking in all the wrong places. Can any of you help?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
    oooh, there has been plenty of spy shot's. I have been hearing that we will see a 2010 Mazda3 in less then 12 months. I can't wait!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-3-future.html
  • peddler3peddler3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi gang,
    Trying to decide which one to get. The difference for 2008.5 between the 3i Touring Value and 3s Touring, aside from the obvious engine difference, is the TCS/DSC and map lights are available on the 3s Touring and not on the 3i Touring Value. Everything else seems pretty much the same. Anyone know if this will change for 2009? The gas on the 3i is a bit better, but I would like the TCS/DSC. Is there any major benefit to these systems?
    Anyone know when the 2009 will be out, or at least the specs?
    Many thanks
    The 2.0 goes by more gas stations.I rented a 2.3 and I thought it was lousy on gas.
    Also, for all you people that are annoyed by smoking cigarette lighter Subaru sell a 12V/120w plug. I just bought one for $6.50 at a Subie dealer and it looks sharp. No more ash tray look. :)