Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    In a recent interview Don Romano, the head of Mazda Canada, said he is anxiously awaiting the redesigned Mazda3 this January.

"We're poised to set another record this year [in sales]. We're on track for about 90,000 sales for the fiscal year, which ends in March. We're going to get 89,000 for the calendar year, so there's not a whole lot of difference, but the new Mazda3 comes out in January."
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    The S is selling at the lowest price ever now. :shades:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Man, I simply can't wait that long. Was interested in purchasing an '09 3 with the 170 horse I4. I have to have a new car before the winter. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a Mazda6. Man, they are soooooo awesome looking!!! :shades:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The 09's are already out. They are still the 156hp 2.3L and 148hp 2.0L
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    He's talking about the 2010.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
    I read somewhere that Mazda is suppose to come out this January with the 2010 Mazda3 that is suppose to be a smaller Mazda6 with the 2.5 170 horse I4 as the optional engine. Does anyone know if this is true? I was disappointed that the 2009 Mazda3 is a 2008.
    Yes, the next generation of Mazda3 is coming in January/February to North America. Check out the Paris Autoshow coming in early October for a preview of new Mazda products.
    Yes, the next generation of Mazda3 is coming in January/February to North America. Check out the Paris Autoshow coming in early October for a preview of new Mazda products.

See the Mazda3 Real World MPG forum in Edmunds for more information.
    Perhaps insurance premiums will be cheaper buying the '08/'09 than the '10 in Jan/Feb. I assume that there is NO difference whatsoever in the drivetrain in the '09 verses the '08. tyvm :shades:
    Do a yahoo search: 2010 Mazda 3 and you will come to the "All-New 2010 MAZDA3" from www.MazdaUSA.com As popular as this Mazda3 vehicle is, I'm surprised that there isn't too much discussion here at the forum! It will be interesting to see when we are actually able to order the car. Man, it looks awesome! :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with satisfied owners of a 2005-2007 Mazda 3 who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 21, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jonathan Wahl
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• zoomzoomgrlzoomzoomgrl Member Posts: 1
    I love my Mazda 3 but for some reason when it's idling it makes a squeeky noise and sometimes it even shakes a little bit. Also when I first start it in the mornings it makes a buzzing sound...I've taken it to the dealer and they say there's nothing wrong with it :confuse: So is that normal and I'm just being paranoid or what??

Thanks.
  • dollarbill457dollarbill457 Member Posts: 1
    Found online in Florida. Pics make the car look almost "mint". Owner is an Air Force LT about to ship out to Iraq (god protect him). 59K miles and appears to have the bells and whistles Mazda offered that year. KBB says the car is worth about $10k and he asking $3900. According to him he has all the maintenance records and a clean CARFAX print out. I'm in OHIO and do a lot a driving on a daily basis (about 100 a day). Also, I'm not a lil guy (6' and 250 with broad shoulders). Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not this would be a safe (and/or reasonable) investment for me or should I just buy it and give it to my 18 y.o. daughter (college student)?
    Thanks in advance
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    just be careful there have been a lot of scams this way recently. At least one where the soldier had been killed and their car put on the net by someone as for sale at a really cheap price and the family finding out about it, the cars were always somewhere else and they would ask for the cash up front, so just be wary, most of the time if it is too good to be true it is.
    Scott
  • qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    So weird, I was just looking for a used 17" wheel on craigslist and saw a Mazda3 with the words FRAUD! in the title. The explanation was that this is a scam, and a pretty common one at that. Steer clear my friend.

Dave
  • wzxchangewzxchange Member Posts: 4
    I'm currently in the market for a 2012 Mazda3 i Sport Auto. However, I am aware that the 2013 Mazda3 is expected to have much better fuel economy and SkyActiv engines in even the base models. Do you think it's worth the wait for a 2013?
  • woochiferwoochifer Member Posts: 32
    Mazda's drivetrain options for the Mazda3 are too complicated, and I doubt they will continue like this for much longer. If I were to take a guess, I think the Skyactiv drivetrain will be deployed across the entire lineup next year (except the Mazdaspeed3) and at least one (or perhaps both) of the current MZR engines will be pulled.

The MZR 2.0 found in the Mazda 3i Sport seems like the likeliest candidate, since it shares an identical displacement with the Skyactiv 2.0, and in North America, the Mazda3 is the only car that uses that engine. Meanwhile, the MZR 2.5 is also used in the Mazda5 and Mazda6. I don't think that the Skyactiv 2.0 has enough torque for those heavier models, so it would seem that the MZR 2.5 won't disappear until a more powerful Skyactiv engine comes out.

Currently, the price of stepping up from the 3i Sport to the 3i Touring is about $1,600. In addition to the Skyactive drivetrain, the Touring models add alloy wheels, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, trip computer, cruise control, and six-speaker audio. If the Skyactiv drivetrain indeed trickles down to the 3i Sport models, then I would guess that either the list price goes up, or equipment currently standard on the 3i Sport becomes optional or thrown into a package.
    Where I'm living right now, the difference between the i Sport and i Touring trims is about $3600, before even mentioning tax. The i Sport is about $16000 while the cheapest Touring is pushing $20000. Which makes me wonder if the additional MPG I might get from the Skyactiv engine is going to be spent on the initial purchase anyway.

My biggest concern is that the worst-case scenario occurs: 2013 Mazda Mazda3 base model has the Skyactiv engine, priced the same as the 2012, with almost the exact same features. Then the 2012 Mazda3 which I hypothetically purchase would be a really bad deal, in that light. But is that likely to happen?

Also, the i Sport gets about 24/33 MPG, which is not too shabby, but certainly not close to many of its rivals in the compact car segment - Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, etc. In the foreseeable future, I would think the value of the 2012 Mazda3 would be primed for a freefall. Unless someone thinks otherwise?
    Do you think it's worth the wait for a 2013?
    Yes. If there is no compelling need to buy now, I would wait until the fall for two reasons:
    1- Let the kinks work out of the first year of the Skyactiv implementation;
    2- Compare the new 2013 to the original 2012 models to see which offers the best deal.

In the meantime, you can always collect information and get a "preview" of the negotiation by visiting showrooms. You might even find a sales person that you can work with for the eventual purchase.
    The i Sport is about $16000 while the cheapest Touring is pushing $20000

MSRP of a 2012 Mazda3 i Sport automatic is roughly $18,350 and the Mazda3 i Touring (Skyactiv) is about $20,095. Where do you get $3,000 from?

Mazda does have a $2,000 dealer cash incentive on "R" code Mazda3s, which there are very few, if any left. There is also a $750 delaer cash rebate on the Mazda3 i Sport and $250 dealer cash on the Skyactiv models. Of course, you cannot get any of these rebates if you lease or take the special finance rates.
    That price sounds like you're looking at the 3i SV model, which is a strippo price leader that only comes with a manual. It's on Mazda's website, but I've never seen one and my local dealer hasn't either. I think the 3i SV exists so that Mazda can quote a lower base price, but that doesn't mean that they will be easy to find.

If you opt for the Skyactiv, you're getting a more refined drivetrain. So, it's not just the fuel economy.

For the 2012 model year, Mazda lowered the MSRP on the base model Mazda3. But, they also shifted around the option packages and standard equipment.

If Mazda moves the Skyactiv drivetrain into the 3i Sport models for 2013, then I would expect the MSRP to jump as well. As I mentioned, right now the Touring model adds $1,600 to the MSRP, and if you disregard the Skyactiv drivetrain, the added features on the Touring model IMO are not worth $1,600. Last year, the difference was $1,400 -- same equipment upgrades, except with no change in the drivetrain.
    Actually, the prices I quoted were not the MSRP, but rather, the actual dealer prices. Cars might be quite a bit cheaper here in the Midwest than, say, in San Francisco or New York.

Just wonder how much more Mazda believes the SkyActiv is worth. I'm going to take a look at some vehicles this weekend, and test-driving a couple of them. Thought I might get a few opinions on the Mazda3 (my current first choice). If they weren't going to roll out the SkyActiv on the entire Mazda3 line in a few months, I wouldn't be so concerned.
    edited January 2012
    MSRP as far as I know does not vary by region. Here's the link to Mazda's MSRP sheet. Keep in mind that the MSRP, as posted on current inventory, seems to have gone up by $350 since this price list was first drafted.

Mazda3 2012 Price List

The dealer price doesn't mean much because you don't know the value of the incentives that the dealer might be getting from Mazda at any given time. In the last quarter, the average value of incentive spending from Mazda came out to around $2k per car. Of course, the incentive value will vary from model to model, and judging by Mazda's financing programs (1.9% APR on the Mazda3, and 0% on the Mazda6, CX-7, and CX-9), the Mazda3 doesn't seem to need as much incentive subsidy as other models. And from what I have heard, the Skyactiv models have been in greater demand than the other Mazda3 trims.

If anything, Mazda has held the line on pricing with the Skyactiv rollout. By limiting it to the higher margin 3i Touring and Grand Touring models, they have a little bit more maneuvering room on the pricing if the Skyactiv drivetrains currently cost more to produce. The 3i Sport has lower margins, so it makes sense to keep the tried-and-true 2.0 MZR drivetrain for this year at least. By next model year, the Skyactiv drivetrain production will ramp up to much higher volume (if for no other reason, because of the CX-5 debut) and presumably the cost per unit by then will also drop.
  • dartmouth5dartmouth5 Member Posts: 1
    Love the 2-tone remark. Grey colored seat covers would be an ideal solution. They should be machine wash and dry. proseatcovers.com is where we got ours.
    Easy to install and maintain, we wash them once a month and the truck doesn't smell like wet dog any more!
  • alex_oalex_o Member Posts: 3
    I heard that the next year's model will be assembled in Mexico.
    Where did you hear that?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    "The Mexican plant is expected to supply the Central and South American markets."

"Eventually, cars from the new Salamanca plant are likely to be sold in the U.S."

So it seems unlikely that 2013 Mazda3's sold in the USA will come from Mexico. But down the road... very possible.
    edited June 2012
    Thanks Alex, I missed those stories completely!

Exporting vehicles, especially compacts and subcompacts, half way around the world must substantially cut into a manufacturer's profit margin. And then to face a negative currency exchange must make the Japanese auto manufacturers doubly desperate.

On the positive side, "made in Japan" has meant a quality vehicle in my experience. It will be interesting to see how the new plant in Mexico will rate in production quality.
    Cars.com's Kicking Tires blog has posted the first info on upcoming changes to the 2013 Mazda3. The biggest news is that Mazda will upgrade the 2.0L MZR drivetrain, currently found in the Mazda3i SV and Sport models, to the 2.0L Skyactiv. This is big news because up until this point, the lowest priced Mazda3 with the Skyactiv drivetrain started at ~$19.5k (including destination charge). The current 3i SV starts at ~$16k with 5-speed MT and no AC, but next year's SV model will add AC as standard equipment.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/06/2013-mazda3-whats-changed.html

The blog entry doesn't spell it out, but it seems that the 3s models will soldier on with the venerable 2.5L MZR drivetrain.

Also, all 2013 Mazda3 models will come with the multi-information display and add a USB connector as standard equipment.

Other changes look like the usual juggling around on the various trim levels. The 3i Touring and Grand Touring models will add keyless entry, push-button start, and automatic climate control (none of which are available on the 3i models right now).

Remains to be seen what will be available and not available with a MT. Right now, if you want a fully loaded Mazda3 with a MT, you have to go with the 2.5L MZR-engined 3s.

On the whole, the trim levels will be a lot more logical than they were this year. I've always thought that 2012 was more of a transition year as Mazda ramps up production on the Skyactiv components. Keep the predictable and reliable 2.0L MZR drivetrain around, while Mazda irons out any teething pains with the Skyactiv drivetrain.

Now, Mazda can go all-in with Skyactiv since it seems the Skyactiv launch was successful -- >70% of N. American sales, no recalls or TSBs so far, continued improvement in the JD Power IQS PP100 score despite the introduction of an all-new drivetrain, and Mazda3 now ranked 4th in initial quality among compact cars. Logically, it would make no sense for Mazda to keep both the 2.0L MZR and 2.0L Skyactiv engines indefinitely, especially since the Skyactiv engines are more powerful, more efficient, and purportedly cost less to produce.

The big question will be how much of a price increase Mazda will implement. Hyundai has already decided to do some profit-taking with the 2013 Elantra by boosting the price points and equipment levels across the board. They can no longer quote a $15k starting MSRP, but the base model will now come with more of the equipment that people actually buy.

The Mazda 3i SV is Mazda's stripped down price leader, but with only a MT and no AC, it's not a car that many people would want. And I've never seen a Mazda 3i SV, either on a dealer lot or in the online inventory. Mazda's supposedly adding AC to the 2013 model, so does this mean that we might actually see on out in the wild?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I'm gonna have trouble deciding between this and the Veloster Turbo. Between BlueLink and that sweet Hyundai warranty, versus that lovely SkyActiv powertrain and Mazda steering and suspension, it's going to be painful...
    Between the Mazda3 and Veloster, I would think the decision's just based on the type of car you're looking for. The Veloster's more like the modern incarnation of the once-popular sports coupe class (i.e., Celica, Integra, Probe, Eclipse, 240SX, Impulse, etc.). The 5-door hatchbacks like the Mazda3, Focus, and Impreza have similarly sporty aspirations, but make more accommodations to practicality.

For me, the decision to go with the Mazda3 was simple because I needed space for a child safety seat and occasional cargo hauling. And coming over from an Integra, I really value the outward visibility, and even though the Mazda3 does not have great visibility, it's certainly a lot better than most competing models. I simply needed a larger car than the Veloster, so it got eliminated early.

Sitting in the Veloster, I was very impressed with how Hyundai styled and appointed that car. But, the proportions are odd -- it reminds me of the old Mitsubishi Eclipse in how the low seating position truncates the visibility, even though it's a small car. And it definitely has a lot more gadgetry than the Mazda3.

On that last point, being first on the block with new technology is a double-edged sword. I suspect that all these tech gadgets getting stuffed into Hyundai's newer cars are responsible for the company's recent slide down the JD Power rankings. If not for Ford's almost shocking plunge from #5 two years ago to #27 this year (due almost entirely to problems with their Microsoft-designed touchscreen controls), Hyundai's recent decline might have been much more noteworthy.

Three years ago, Hyundai ranked #4 -- tops among non-premium brands. Last year, their JD Power IQS ranking went below the industry average, and this year it has fallen to #18 (tie). Aside from the technology features, Hyundai is also introducing new models and new drivetrains at a furious pace, and that also increases the likelihood of reliability glitches.

Recent reviews are starting to note that the Mazda3's getting dated, which it is (USB's only getting added next year). But, the silver lining with an older car is that many of the early production glitches have been ironed out. Mazda did build the all-new Skyactiv drivetrain into most of the Mazda3s sold this year. But, so far there have been no recalls or TSBs issued for the Skyactiv drivetrain and the Mazda3 actually improved its JD Power IQS ranking. It now ranks #4 among all compact cars, behind only the Corolla, Prius, and Civic.

Strange as it might sound, but the Mazda is more like the safe decision, while the Veloster is the riskier one with the bigger upside (i.e., performance, gadgets, adventurous styling, etc.).
    Bet the Veloster's suspension will need a little tuning though. But I can just imagine the Veloster Turbo engine hooked to the SkyActiv transmission and a Mazda Steering system...now THAT would be SWEET.

I'm single and have little need for a backseat except as additional cargo area, so that changes things up a bit. Not that the Mazda3 has wonderful rear seat room, but the Veloster is much more deficient in the area.
  • jay137jay137 Member Posts: 17
    I just turned in my Mazda3 and I was very pleased with it. Mazda has always played tricks with their pricing. Bate and switch almost. I have switched to an American car and I'm very pleased with the decision. Like so many foreign cars the Mazdas are overpriced and very basic. Mazda is one of the better choices as for quality but as I say the cost is outrageous when you ad on a few things. If you don't believe that look up the car dealers inventory and see how much they really cost and you will see they are way north of their price leaders. Then look at the well built American cars. I think we have more older American cars on the road today than foreign cars.
    Right now a person does much better with a good new American car.
    American cars were looked upon, in the past, as good quality and they seem to have returned to those days, so more power to them.
    Cruze, Focus, and Dart have raised the bar for American cars, but right now only the Focus hangs with the Mazda3 (the Dart might when the DCT is released and the R/T version arrives). The Snuze...err, I mean Cruze, competes with Corolla and Elantra. And the Focus has a tiny little 12 gallon gas tank. :shades:

Mazda's big problem is that they make all the Mazda3 models in Japan, and the exchange rate is too high to make production cost-efficient. Given the choice between raising prices and Honda/Toyota-style cost-cutting, I'll take the former. Note that the latter has NOT been well received by either consumers or the media. Toyota and Honda are big enough to absorb any after effects, but Mazda can ill-afford to take that kind of hit to their image right now. Heck, they're already cozying up with Fiat: the next Dodge Dart could be a SkyActiv. :shades:
    (Mods maybe we should remove the question mark?)

We know the 2013 Mazda3 will add SkyActiv to an additional i trim, leaving only thefleet queen bottom one with the 2.0L MZR. Here's a change summary from all the sources I've found.

* SkyActiv engine standard on i Sport trim
    * A/C standard on i SV trim.
    * USB port standard on i Touring and Grand Touring (maybe i Sport also? found conflicting info on this)
    * Multi-info display now standard on all i models
    * Auto climate control standard on i Touring and Grand TOuring
    * Push button start/passive key standard on to i Touring and Grand Touring
    * Blind spot monitoring standard i Grand Touring and s Grand Touring, optional on i Touring
    * Tocuh screen navigation added as an option to i Grand Touring (maybe i Touring also, not sure).
    * Rain sensing wipers standard s Grand Touring
    * Bi-xenon headlights standard on s Grand Touring
    * Alarm system standard on s Grand Touring
  • alex_oalex_o Member Posts: 3
    Will there be any changes to the drivetrain?
    Other than adding the 2.0L SkyActiv to the i Sport, I don't think so. The 2.5L MZR is sticking around on the "s" models, don't know why they're leaving the 2.0L MZR on the 'i SV" model, maybe just to get rid of the last of the engines or something, i don't know.

I don't think they're making any changes to the SkyActiv powertrain, and they aren't putting the 2.2L diesel or the 2.5L SkyActiv yet. That might not happen until the redesign in a couple of years.
    I think the changes that were made to the 2013 Mazda3 are pretty significant.

Once Mazda officially discloses what you get with the nav system, I think people will be impressed and see real value in it.
    I really want to see it, I'm thinking I"ll be grabbing a 2013. I want to see what they do with the center stack and the steering wheel with the nav changes though.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What I'd love to see is red with a tan interior on the i Touring hatch. I wonder if the palette will change any for 2013?
    I heard that Velocity Red might be available on SkyActiv now. Don' t know about the interior but I HATE the way they implemented that beige. They would be better off with a grey, at least the two-tone would look better.
  • wixiepixiewixiepixie Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if the i Grand Touring 5-door will be available with Sky-Active AND a manual transmission? I've used the "build and buy" service for the 2012, and it looks like you can only get the SKY with Automatic on the i grand touring.

I'm hoping I can the 2013 i GT with the SKY and a manual. Or, will I have to get the sport to get everything I want? Thanks!
  • dilandsdilands Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any details on the Nav System - or when the 2013's will actually be available.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Anyone heard where the USB port will be located and if it might be possible to retrofit the 2012? I'm currently looking at the 2012 and one of the reasons I was a little turned off was the lack of a USB port. My 2010 Accent hatchback has this feature and its very nice to be able to control my mp3 player through the stereo.
    Based on the 2013 accessories descriptions, I THINK the touchscreen NAV system goes in the center stack where all the stereo buttons are (the CD changer and MP3 player in the accessories specifically state they are not compatible with the touchscreen nav setup).

I'm wondering what, if anything will happen with the stereo info display. I'm assuming the small trip computer display will remain, but the stereo info might no longer be needed...except that the automatic climate control display is there too.

Someone else asked about the USB port. No idea, that's what stopped me from buying a 2012 also. I would assume it's in the armrest next to the AUX jack, as most manufacturers put it near the AUX jack, but that's based on no actual information. :)

I was thinking of heading to the Mazda dealer to ask them when the 2013s are showing up, but I'm afraid I'll drive off with a 2012. The incentives they've got are REALLY tempting. :shades:
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    The incentives are what have me seriously considering one. I just keep wondering if I will be mad that I missed out on standard satellite radio and USB port. The dealer is quoting $685 to have satellite installed, which is ridiculous. But $16848 for a Touring Skyactiv in combination with 0% for 60 months is such a good deal.....
  • countertop4countertop4 Member Posts: 11
    carfreak09, what setup are you looking at for $16848? What does that figure include? Thanks.