Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 66bigblock66bigblock Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at an 05 V8 4runner Ltd with the following options 6 disk CD , moonroof,side air bags, rear spoiler, NH (X-REAS), RL, SR, Conv. Pagage, SPort bumbers, Wh/locks, pref. [non-permissible content removed]. package.

MSRP $42,581.
    Dealer Disc: ($5,081)
    Rebate on'05: ($3,000 cash back)
    Net price to me before TTL: $34,500

Should I bite....or pay a few grand more for the '06?
  • bartel3bartel3 Member Posts: 6
    :confuse: What would be a fair monthly payment to expect when leasing a 2006 SR5 2WD? The only options that I am adding will be the power moonroof and post factory leather. The MSRP will be approx. $30,000, while the AAA/COSTCO Fleet Manager will sell me the vehicle for $28,500. Zero down, approx. $1500.00 drive off, 36 months, 12,000 miles.

Thanks!
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    I'm in Colorado. I paid 34,411 + taxes
    I also got Toyotathon $1000 cash back and $500 college graduate cash back. From the info I had, I paid $500 over invoice then got $1500 in rebates.
    Added:
    6 disc 10 speaker in dash stereo
    Double Decker Cargo
    Rear view w/ compass
    Moonroof

What does everyone think of this deal?
  • t6matrixt6matrix Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what kind of discounts are they given on the 05 4runner. Invoice plus rebate?
  • bkbynumbkbynum Member Posts: 8
    When I called and talked to the dealer they told me the special Costco price is 38,600. This seems to be about 1,400 above invoice. I was surprised. Usually I have found 'fair' prices using the Costco program.

These prices do not include the 1,000 rebate and my state taxes, but do include everything else.

And advice? The model I want has sunroof, upgraded stereo, side airbags, etc. but NO NAV or DVD.

Thanks, Barbara
    Should I negotate the price first? Or find out if they can get what I want?

I am 100% certain on the model/options/color that I want. I understand that Toyota packages these things and I'm okay with taking a certain package of options that come together. But I will not add Navigation or DVD or switch colors. So which comes frist? the chicken or the egg? (negoting a price or finding if it's avaialble?)

FYI, There are 4 dealerships within 1.5 hours of here -- but they are mostly all smaller dealerships.

Barbara
  • comancoman Member Posts: 11
    I'm going to be buying an 06 SR5 in the next two weeks. Does anyone have a Toyota dealer they recommend in the Denver or Colorado Springs area? Any place I should NOT deal with?

I test drove a 4Runner at Liberty Toyota in COS and was not very happy with the high pressure salesman. He drove us nuts with his obviously memorized sales pitch. I'm hoping that all Toyota dealers are not like this one!

Suggestions appreciated.
  • wrsbearwrsbear Member Posts: 4
    To all:

This is my experience with the sticker price vs negotiating:

The sticker price was 32.4K plus some change. I was able to negotiate the price down to 22.4K. They did give me about 3K less than Blue Book on the trade-in which was ok by me. I was also able to negotiate the extended warranty down. It can be done.....I was there 6 hours.....but well worth it...
    What's a fair markup over invoice? None? $600? 3%?

The invoice for the 4x4 Limited V8 is $37,210 including the $605 distination charge. But the dealer has a holdback of $768. So if I paid 'invoice' the dealer would still profit $758. So should I negotiate up from invoice? Or up from 36,442?
  • run1bk46run1bk46 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Milwaukee. Worked with Wilde Toyota here in town-negotiated all online. I am waiting on my blk 06 Limited V8 4x4 w/gray interior. It should be in around X-Mas. MSRP was 43386 w/Nav, Sunroof, Side curtain, daytime running lights, rear spoiler, floor mats. I was able to get $36950 which included the $750 rebate. I put $500 down and they began looking for my vehicle. I was going with one of the common builds for our region, so they felt they could land one before the end of the year. I negotiated with them 12/5, they called the next day finding one on the boat coming from Japan with my exact request. They said it would be in a California port on 12/11. Be to Chicago within a week from there, and then on a truck to Milwaukee around X-Mas. They are the largest volume Toyota dealer in the MW area. Claim to be pushing 400 new ota's a month. So far, they have been outstanding.

You can negotiate prices. Good luck everyone.
  • kysersose4kysersose4 Member Posts: 25
    I got the deal you'll find on the last page at Toyota Stevison West. They will deal between $500-750 over invoice if pressed. I had a couple issues with salespeople, but their finance department is great and the sales manager was good. The other thing I found is that they stand behind their word. First they took my word for what I was promised by my salesperson even though he was sick and not there (he had promised the $500-750 over invoice). Next there was a mixup with my sales contract and I was charged less than I should have. They stood behind the price as they legally should have. But, a lot of dealers might cause a stink with you, they just took it in stride.
    They're in Golden. I assume you'd get the same treatment at Stevison East in Aurora or any other Stevinson dealers I'm unaware of.
    Good luck!
    By the way, love my new '06 Sport Edition...just a great ride.
  • need_4x4need_4x4 Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading this board for a while, what a great place to learn and discuss. Here is my first question to all of ya'll leasing experts.
    I am in the process of leasing a 06 V6 Sport 4x4 with sunroof and towing option. The dealer offered me $313 plus tax with $950 down (includes some doc fee and first month lease payment), the residual after 3 years of 12,000 miles/per year is $20,990. The dealer claims that they are only making $200 over invoice, since MSRP for this truck is around 34,000, he is selling it around 30,000. I have always been the traditional buyer, put ton of money down to get a loan, and bargain the best price possible. I decide to give lease a try, consider the lease payment will only be ($313+tax) X 36 = 11880 over 3 years. Please give me your thought on this deal, or post your number if leased the similar 4runner. I am looking to close the deal by the end of year. thanks in advance
  • pab5pab5 Member Posts: 20
    Just negotiated but not finalised a Drive out price $30516 on a new 06 Titanium Metallic 4WD 4 Runner with Sport Package, Double decker cargo system, JBL Homelink, Spoiler, Electro mirror and Daytime running lights. Also agreed on $700 trade on my 86 4wd truck. I will sign on the dotted line for $29816. Is this a good deal?
  • need_4x4need_4x4 Member Posts: 2
    I assume that's V6, if it doesn't include tax, that's the same deal I am getting
    No that is a V8 and includes tax and fees
  • se4runnerse4runner Member Posts: 1
    dude, pab5, that sounds incredibly good. I'll be shopping for a similiar Sport. What did your tax and fees amount to? and also, if you please, what is your invoice cost on that one- so I can figure a similiar discount. Negotiating strategy?

Nice work, as far as I can tell, best deal I've seen on a '06 w/zero mileage :surprise:
  • jasxxjasxx Member Posts: 14
    Can u tell me what was the MSRP on that vehicle? Thanks,
    Jay sends!
  • rfa5rfa5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm now negotiating for a 06 4runner Limited with Nav here in NY. I also have a dealer in Florida that has what I want at a much better price. It seems the NYC area dealers don't want to deal...they quote a price of $750 off sticker...big deal! They are also bad mouthing the Florida dealer stating that it isn't the same car, it has a cheaper battery, the radiator isn't as good and even the tranny is different as it's a Florida car. Sounds like bull to me. Do they make any of the cars differently for various parts of the country? As it stands right now it's worth it for me to take the drive south for a little R&R and a new car!
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I dealt with Toyota City in Mamaroneck, NY. They dealt right from invoice straight away.
  • locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    All 4unners are made in Japan. Battery is possibly different, but no way the radiator or tranny are different. I'd check out the Florida deal. Better weather this time of year anyway.
  • houseindahousehouseindahouse Member Posts: 6
    I have been looking for 2004-2005 4-Runner Limited editions with:

Navigation system
    V8
    Sun Roof
    Leather interior
    Dual climate control
    4 wheel drive
    Rear bumper sensors and camera

At this point, I have it narrowed down to two dealers with two options:

2004, 27,000 miles for just over $30,000 - Beige
    2005, 9,000 miles for $35,000 - Silver

The only two differences are color (my wife likes silver) and the fact that the 2004 has a built in DVD player, which is not worth that much to me, as I can get a portable DVD player for $79. How much premium should I put on the milage difference in the two?

Thanks.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    The thing is that the '05 is used and doesn't qualify for any factory incentive or rebates. I don't know what rebates are available but you can check. Can you find any new '05- V8s out there? They are discounting them like crazy. I paid 26K for an '05 Sport (2wd) with just 5,000 miles on it. It was a dealer demo so it qualified for all rebates and incentives. The only options were a sunroof and daytime running lights.
    Chuck,

Thanks for the response. The 2005 actually "qualifies" as new, since it is a distributor or dealer demo. They didn't offer me any rebates, but they did offer the 1.9%, 5 year financing, which would save me about $1,000 over the 2004 at 5.9%. The NAV system and other perks are driving up the cost of the models that I am considering. I am still negotiating and will try to leverage the other incentives. I love playing hardball with these guys. It's almost like a sport. I will also look at some other new models next week.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "I love playing hardball with these guys. It's almost like a sport. I will also look at some other new models next week."

Yes, I didn't get the deal I got until my hand was literally on the door of the showroom ready to go home after negotiations hit an "impasse". They really tried low-balling me on the trade, and wanted to use my good credit against me by asking me to finance the difference on the trade. Yea right!
    They are not going to sell many cars between Christmas and New Years, so you are in a good position!
    Good luck and let us know the deal you get!
    I went with the 2004 Limited V8 fully loaded (NAV system, DVD/Entertainment, Rear bumper camera), with 27,000 miles and negotiated down to $29,000. Not too bad, considering the features, I don't think.

Any feedback?
  • nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    Offer feeback requested from all of you. I'm in New England and I'm being quoted $28.5K for an SR5, 4x4, 6 cyl with the following options AW (Al Wheels), DR (Rack & Cross Bar), RL (Daytime lights), NE (Leather steering wheel with cruise and audio controls), SR (moonroof), TH (3rd row seat), TO (tow hitch). How much lower should I be able to go?? Dealers are trying to maximize their sales by end of 2005 so that they get the best allocation in 2006 (it's part of how the game is played) so if I don't score now, then I'll likely wait until February for President's Day sales.
    Is it new or used?

What is the mileage (if used)?

What model year (if used)?
    I just had the biggest screw job pulled on me that I've ever seen at Toyota on Nicholasville, near Lexington, KY. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking at two cars: one was a used 2004 Limited 4-Runner (at another dealership), and the other was a new (dealer demo) 2005 Limited 4-Runner (at Toyota on Nicholasville). To make a long story short, I underestimated the interest payments on the used 2004 model last night while closing on the car and wanted to reinvestigate 1.9% financing options on the "new" 2005 model at the other dealership. The dealer with the 2004 gave me until noon today to hold the 2004 for me while I did some due diligence investigation at Toyota on Nicholasville for the 2005 model. Earlier in the week, Toyota on Nicholasville's used car manager offered the car to me for $34,500 at 1.9% financing, which seemed too good to be true. At around 11:30 AM today, we made the decision to go with the 2005 model at Toyota on Nicholasville for $34,500 at 1.9%. At that time, the other dealer called me saying that he needed a decision since he had someone ready to buy the 2004 model. Since we were filling out paperwork at Toyota on Nicholasville (which took nearly 3 hours), I released the 2004 model. After 5 hours at Toyota on Nicholasville today, the used car manager comes in and says that he made a mistake and that they can't offer the 1.9% financing on the 2005 model since they miscalculated their costs and would lose money on the deal. The problem that I later learned was that he hadn't cleared it with finance upon his initial offer. They would not work with me on a fair solution, even though they cost me a 4-Runner at another dealership while giving me the run around today. I have a call into their owner, but I will never do business at Toyota on Nicholasville again. I would suggest that anyone on this board follow suit and be very careful if you do negotiate with them.
  • wkeyswkeys Member Posts: 3
    The dealerships do not set the interest rate, the banks (or lenders) do. If you agree to a certain price for a vehicle, that plus fees and tax is all the dealership gets. The dealership does not make more money by charging a higher interest rate, and does not lose money with a lower rate. That 1.9% is not for everybody. Usually you have to have a beacon (credit) score of 750 or higher.
    Are you more concerned with the monthly payment, or the interest rate? I would pre-qual at the bank or credit union if I were you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    That isn't exactly accurate...

The banks set the base rate... but, if the dealer can sell the contract with a higher interest rate than the customer qualifies for, then they most certainly get a bigger commission for selling the loan.. The same as a mortgage broker would on a house loan..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The problem is the net spend over 5 years. Toyota on Nicholasville initially offered me the 1.9% financing as part of the end of year Toyotathon promotion. At 1.9%, my total five year spend on a car that costs $34,500 (excluding tax and licensing) is around $36,600. At 6.25% (the rate through my credit union), my total five year spend on $34,500 is around $40,500, which is more than I want to spend on a car. I just have a fundamental problem with a shady dealer offering a price and a rate for a week and then pulling it off the table at the last minute when I'm ready to buy. People make mistakes, but this joker had a week to verify this deal with his finance manager and didn't do it. I suspect that it was part of a bait and switch tactic. They thought they could wear me down over five hours to the point that I'd give in to them.
  • 3ems3ems Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 4runner SR5 with moonroof and I'm looking to upgrade to a 2006,v8,4wd sports, 4runner with moonroof, rear spoiler, 6 disc, dbl cargo with net.

The best deal I''ve found is from CarsDirect for $31,589 plus tax and tag after $1500 rebate.

A dealer has one with leather seats(TMV$1,120) for $33,828.

It seems to me that the dealer is not including the rebate in his price quote since the CarsDirect price plus leather would only be $32,709.

I'm I wrong to expect a dealer to be able to do this deal at $32,500 plus tax and tag?

Since I will be paying cash and have a trade (high miles so expecting $13000), does that hurt the deal?

Does anyone know if Toyota rebate will be extended since it ends Jan 9th?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

3ems
  • tiger93tiger93 Member Posts: 57
    This past Saturday I took delivery of a new 2006 4Runner Limited V6. I made the purchase from Wilde Toyota in Milwaukee, even though I live in the Minneapolis area, five hours away.

Wilde Toyota accepted a price $900 lower than any dealer in the Twin Cities. Negotiation began with email on 12/27 and was soon followed up with phone conversations. I conversed with two different sales people in the internet department at Wilde...both very easy to work with.

I did have problems with the process because on two occasions, Wilde told me they had located my 4Runner and asked me to make the trip to Milwaukee to pick it up. Of course before making the trip, I had them fax me the vehicle detail sheets for each vehicle. On both occasions, they had secured (through dealer trade) the wrong vehicle...wrong options or color.

Now, I am quite sure this was not done intentionally, but was rather an oversight. Apparently, Wilde sells between 600 and 700 new and used cars a month. With that much volume, it seems they sometimes loose a few important details, like making sure they have found the right car the customer.

So, I really ended up doing a bit of the work myself in double and tripple checking options, colors, financing terms, etc. But, I did get the exact vehicle I wanted so for me, it was worth the effort.

Even with those hiccups, I am very satisfied with the price and the service. All the staff I interacted with was polite and helpful. Overall, it was a good experience.

Here's the details:
    Lease 3yr/25k mile per year (that's right, I drive a ton :sick: )
    Toyota 4Runner V6/Limited
    JBL Synthesis & 6 Disc, DRL's, Tow Pkg, Moon Roof, Spoiler, floor mats.
    MSRP = $39,651
    Cap Cost = $34,850
    MF = .00045 (with Tier 1+ and Encore discount)
    Residual = $18,843
    Payment = $468/mo before tax.
    I'm now the owner of a new white 2006 4runner,sport,v8, 4x4, moonroof, spoiler, leather seats, valor tip, weather mats and 6 disc for $32119 plus tax and tag.
  • kd232kd232 Member Posts: 5
    Great Vehicle. From what dealership did you purchase? Sales price?
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Is $38,500.00 (including 3% tax) OTD price a good deal for ordering (30-60 days) the following 2006 4Runner?:

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD V8 (5 Speed) Shadow Mica/Stone Leather with the following options:

DVD Navigation System w/JBL AM/FM/CD and Backup Camera (NV)
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade (SR)
    Daytime Running Lights (RL)
    Toyoguard Protection Group (XY40)
    Carpet/Trunk Mat (Req. DD Cargo System) (PV60)
    Wheel Locks (WL)

If anyone has done any better deal, please let me know.
  • 4everlooking4everlooking Member Posts: 1
    What's the lowest price that I can expect to pay for this?

MSRP $32,310 (includes $1,795 options)
    TMV $29,813 (includes $1,542 options)
    Inv $28,750 (includes $1,436 options)

There is a $2000 rebate being offered 'til 1/31/06.
    Options include: power sunroof, roof rack, leather steering wheel, cargo, 17" wheels, AC power point, tonneau cover, running lights
    I got it from AlHendrickson in Coconut Creek Florida.
  • skifunskifun Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. This is my first post on this forum.
    I live in Ontario Canada and I have been looking at buying an SUV for the past several months. I have decided on a V8 4Runner Limited because to me, it seems to be way ahead of the competition. I have a 5000lb+ boat to pull and I need the room because my wife and I are expecting our first child.
    A dealer not too far away has a new 2005 V8 Limited 4Runner with less than 100kms on it. He is asking $44,750 + 1810 frt, PDI, gas & air tax. After all the taxes we pay the drive away price will be $53,750.00.This price is about $2000 below the dealer's cost.

This is about $4500-5500 less than buying a 2006 V8 Limited. Does this sound like a good deal?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
  • dpiddydpiddy Member Posts: 1
    I've been in the market for a new 2006 4Runner Sport for a couple months now. I'm looking for some very particular options. It turns out that Toyota does not ship the vehicle the way I want it... or even close to it. No worries, I just need to special order this puppy. Problem is, all the dealers I talk to are pretty reluctant to place the order and/or to negotiate the price... then they tell me that it's going to take 4-6 MONTHS to receive.

I'm clear on all of the issues with dealers preferring to sell off the lot and all that... I'm not clear if 4-6 months is accurate or if they're just trying to discourage me from placing the order.

I know I'm going to order the vehicle. I'm OK with waiting (although I'd prefer it not be up to 6 months!) I know some of my bargaining power is gone since I'm basically looking for a car that doesn't exist. So here's the deal... this is what I'm looking for:

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport V6 4x2
    DVD navigation system
    Garage door opener
    Auto-dim mirror with compass
    Parking sensors
    Power outlet, 115v
    Security system upgrade
    Trailer hitch (and wiring)

This all comes to an invoice price of $30,477. The dealer is offering $32,500. I said I'd go to $31,000, period. He's now "checking with his inventory manager" to get the latest invoice pricing and to see if "he can do that deal."

So, long story short (if it's not too late), my question is two-fold:

Am I being fair in sticking to my above-invoice price on this special order vehicle?

Is 4-6 months really how long it will take?

And just FYI, going to the Limited is not an option since they tend to start at around $38,000 in my area and still would require a special order for the nav system.

Thanks.

Danny
    I am also going to special order a 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD V8 (5 Speed) and one of the dealers in NC told me it will take 30-60 days...
  • gs08bssgs08bss Member Posts: 1
    Offer to pay invoice or a few hundred over. The rebate will take you to $2,000 below. No reasonable dealer will walk away from this.
  • badburrobadburro Member Posts: 2
    I am wondering if anyone can tell me a fair dealer price for a used 2005 V6 Ltd. with 18000 miles on it? Aside from the standard V6 Ltd. stuff, it also has the x-reas suspension.

Thanks for your input.
    I just purchased a 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD V8 (5 Speed) Shadow Mica/Stone Leather for $36,500.00 OTD (including $2,000.00 rebate and MSRP $41,498.00) with the following options:

Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade
    JBL Synthesis AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD
    Sunroof Wind Deflector
    ToyoGuard Plus Protection Group
    Daytime Running Lights
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    Wheel Locks

Also I noticed, I got the awesome Michelin Cross Terrain tires.

The dealership was Modern Toyota in NC.
  • josephd05josephd05 Member Posts: 46
    I was at a dealer yesterday and test drove a 2006 limited V-8 with NAv and the special shocks. I believe MSRP was 44k. The manager said he can do a 3 year lease at 15k per year in the low to mid 400s a month. I have 9 lease payments left on my Accord and they knew that. They said they could incorporate the remaining payments of my Accord into the new 4runner lease. My two questions are, 1. Do you think they were legit with that lease quote? Sounds a bit low to me. And 2. if I do roll my remaining payments into the new lease, am I still responsible for any excessive wear and tear on the vehicle?
  • gordo259gordo259 Member Posts: 2
    I'm close to purchasing a Limited 2wd V8 and am curious about an extended warranty. Any input of what can I expect the dealer to offer and what is a fair price?
  • mminkousmminkous Member Posts: 6
    Which warranty program are you looking at?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    With Toyotas, don't bother.
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    I was lucky and got an SR5 with these 5 extra options already on it.

17" wheels
    trailer hitch
    tonneau cover
    carpeted mats
    roof rails and cross bars