Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lrspatricklrspatrick Member Posts: 5
    Are there any parts of the country where you can a Limited without a sunroof? Northeast region is sunroof only and I'm starting an online search to all points south and west! If anyone has insight into this I'd greatly appreciate it!
  • pmschneidaupmschneidau Member Posts: 6
    The current design came out in the 2003 models, so I wouldn't expect another redesign until 2010 models appear (7 years is typical).
  • darambodarambo Member Posts: 5
    rosiebeach - never thought of a Solara drop-top for the pups - too wild! good luck to you too... :shades:
  • gpkaralisgpkaralis Member Posts: 5
    I can't speak to the 2W drive 4Runner. But I can tell you that my 4X4 V8 07SR5, is absolutely unreal in the snow. And I'm comparing this to my previous 4X4 Blazer, my wife's 4X4 Durango and our 325xi AWD. I have never driven a vehicle that makes snow such a non event. Really for the price it's such a steal anyway, plus they have the 1500 cash back till the end of the month anyway.
  • rengawrengaw Member Posts: 22
    A good friend of mine is in the market for a new 4 Runner. A good price standard to go by is Fitz Mall on the east coast. We live in the Pacific Northwest and he is thinking of going back east to buy it. My question is whether there is a place on the west coast, or more specific the northwest, that is known for giving good deals on Toyotas like Fitz Mall is on the east coast. Any help would be appreciated.
  • sam11199sam11199 Member Posts: 6
    How much did you pay (Invoice price)? Did you have additional options on it other than 4Runner Limited (comes from factory)? I am plannig to get some quote on it and just wanted to see how much others have paid on it.
  • c5t4rc5t4r Member Posts: 13
    I'm in Texas and just starting looking at the '07 4Runner SR5's - we've held off on getting a 2nd vehicle about as long as we can so I'm looking at buying by the end of this month...here are the 2 deals I have. Thoughts opinions? The more expensive one doesn't have $600 value in added options to me...(wheel locks, FA Kit, Window Tint, Fabric Guard) - and don't the tires come with a warranty anyway???

#1 $30,375 MSRP/ $26,532 Sell/ $28,436 OTD with $1500 rebate

17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires
    Tonneau Cover
    Double Decker Cargo System w/Cargo Net
    Black Roof Rack & Cross Bars
    50 State Emissions
    Leather Steering Wheel and Shift Knob:
    Includes: Cruise Control & Audio Controls
    Power 8-Way Driver and 4-Way Passenger
    Fabric Seat
    Daytime Running Lights
    Nightvision Mirror Upgrade
    Includes Compass
    Carpet Mat Set (5 pc)
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Rear Cargo Mat
    Security System Upgrade

#2 $30,998 MSRP/ $27209 Sell / Approx $29,100 OTD
    50 State Emissions $0
    17" Alloy Wheels W/P265/65r17 Tires $100
    Tonneau Cover $90
    Black Roof Rack And Cross Bars $220
    Daytime Running Lights $40
    Double Decker Cargo System W/Cargo Net $125
    Leather Steering Wheel And Shift Knob:
    • Includes: Cruise Control And Audio Controls $220
    Power 8-Way Driver And 4-Way Passenger
    • Fabric Seat $635
    Window Tint $179
    The Extra Mile Option Package A
    • Custom Tape Stripe
    • Nightvision Mirror Upgrade
    • Cargo Net
    • First Aid Kit
    • Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc)
    • Fabric Guard
    • Security System Upgrade
    • Wheel Locks
    • Road Hazard Tire Warranty
    • (3 Years / 36,000 Miles)
    • Roadside Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles
    • Extra Mile Extended Life Tires
    • (6 Yrs/100,000 Miles)

Any advice you could provide would be helpful! Thank you!!
  • smcgeesmcgee Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a '06 4 runner sport edition last spring with cloth seats. I have two kids under age 8 who are constantly spilling stuff. My take is that "fabric guard" is a waste of money. My seats are just fine 10 months into my purchase, and I could not be happier with the vehicle, it is very high quality. The best way to keep seats and carpets clean is to rent a steam cleaner once a year. These dealer add ons are really just a profit center for the dealer and do not add value to the car. good luck with your purchase, and buy a 4x4 version of this car if you are going to bother, as these really can go off road.
  • jeffthegreatjeffthegreat Member Posts: 7
    Hi there,

Here is what I did. I started with Carsdirect.com. A reputable website. I got great pricing. But they just couldnt find the exact 4 runner I wanted. So, I went to two local Toyota dealers - mossy toyota and kearny mesa toyota in san diego. Mossy was a joke - really shady. Kearny Mesa was straight up honest with me. They charged me invoice price + $500.00 with the car on the lot or + $900.00 if it has to be ordered outside. The pricing ended up being within $200.00 of Carsdirect.com. I ordered an 07 sport v8 4x2 in shadow mica. It is set to arrive in 8 days. What I would further suggest, is pick exactly what you want from Edmunds. Print out the page showing the invoice pricing. Take it to the dealership and stick to that when you go to the dealer. If they wont dance, take your business elsewhere. Remember - you hold the cards - not them.

I hope this helps!

Jeff
  • beachgrosiebeachgrosie Member Posts: 6
    Hi, everyone! I just got a call from one of three top Toyota dealers in San Diego...I was offered $800 under Invoice with another $1500 from rebate...I haven't followed thru, and don't know what they will throw to me at the dealership, but a reputable offer, and I'll let you all know if I buy it.. (Limited V6, roof rack, 4wd, beige...2007). Whatever happens, invoice price, LESS rebate, can be BEAT!!
    Hi -

Thanks for the info. I wonder - which dealership offered you such a great deal? That pricing is really attractive....

Jeff
  • beachgrosiebeachgrosie Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Jeff and others! The $800 below Invoice, plus the additional $1500 rebate, came from a phone call from a large San Diego dealer. I have not bought the car yet, as it is STILL too much money for me, I think. and I LOVE my 2005 Solara SLE Convertible...must I trade it or sell it just so my dogs have a "room with a view" in a 4-Runner. So sick of slime in the back seat!!I won't name names until I close the deal...but when I tell a delaer I will buy from lowest price, and will only ask ONCE for their lowest price, I think they respect me, and sense I won't be back if they offer something dumb. I buy right away, and I don't negotiate back and forth and back and forth...get the best deal, and buy!! (or DON'T buy!!!!)...I would have them send it in a written e-mail first, and then GO!. Amnd I'll let you all know the final final price if I do. But if the Acura MDX had a back window that rolled up and down, I would've bought that already...love that car!
    I ended up going with this one:

#1 $30,375 MSRP/ $26,532 Sell/ $28,436 OTD with $1500 rebate

17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires
    Tonneau Cover
    Double Decker Cargo System w/Cargo Net
    Black Roof Rack & Cross Bars
    50 State Emissions
    Leather Steering Wheel and Shift Knob:
    Includes: Cruise Control & Audio Controls
    Power 8-Way Driver and 4-Way Passenger
    Fabric Seat
    Daytime Running Lights
    Nightvision Mirror Upgrade
    Includes Compass
    Carpet Mat Set (5 pc)
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Rear Cargo Mat
    Security System Upgrade

They are "throwing in" (I know I'm paying for it somehow)

Hood deflector, wheel locks, and window tint for $28,000 out the door...probably did "ok" - may have been able to do a little better, but I don't feel ripped off either.
    Seems like you got a pretty good deal there. Can I ask what color scheme you got?
  • suv4betsysuv4betsy Member Posts: 38
    I'm in PNW area interested in potential group buy or share feedback on dealers. I'm interested in 4Runner Limited V6, online inventories look short, like 1 of this model, prefer this design over Highlander.
    I got the Nautical Blue Metallic with the Stone interior.

It came in about $150-$200 under the Carsdirect.com target price and about $1200 under Edmunds after rebate TMV. I asked for the hood protector as an add in, then asked for the wheel locks, and window tint to bring it in line with the other 4Runner I was considering from a dealer who who told me they would go no lower than $28,500 out the door.

They tried to sell the extended warranty and hook me up with their financing - but I declined both.

I say I probably could have done a little better because they said yes to $28K out the door pretty quick.
  • erichochmanerichochman Member Posts: 16
    hi everone,

i got a new sr5 v6 4 x 4 with the following

17 inch wheels
    tonneu cover
    power moon roof
    leather steering wheel
    daytime running lights
    tow hitch
    $28,900.00 which is invoice price.
    mius 1500.00 cash.
    I paid $27,450.00 plus tax, tag, title.
    ALL in was $29,990.00 (i live in the most expensive place on earth)NYC. Ouch. 8.375% tax here plsu tons of other fees..

Anyway, how is $27,450? Essentially it is a loaded 4runner sr5 for 1500 below invoice.

Any thoughts?

Have a great day.
  • suv4betsysuv4betsy Member Posts: 38
    I stopped at dealer today that showed me the list of 500 Toyotas that arrived at Port yesterday, of that group only 2 were 4Runner Limited one V6 and one V8. Is the inventory of Limited trim that scarce? None currently on the lot. I'm hesitant to even bother with an offer near invoice, if they are selling or being kept in very short supply.
  • erichochmanerichochman Member Posts: 16
    hi again all,

follow up to my post. i forgot to ask.

i have heard countless time that the new 4runners should use premium fuel only. YET. the owners manual says 87 octane. i even called toyota myself and asked and they told me 2 times...87 octane is fine..not 91.

im confused...any correct answers. thanks in advance
    I haven't had mine but a week, but it would be safe to say if the manual says 87, the dealer says 87 then 87 is ok.

Some people may notice a difference running higher octane, but ultimately it's your choice.
    Hi -

I think you got a good deal. To bad your dealership isnt in ca. I just got hosed by a local dealer. After waiting a month for a 4x2 v8 shadow mica from AZ - the dealership decided to charge me for the delivery of the truck to San Diego. Stay away from Kearny Mesa Toyota. Way shady. Invoice price less the rebate is really good. Thanks to your post and a few others I will only take invoice less 1500... The car salesman today did the "were losing $" on this deal routine...gimme a freakin break.

Good luck with the new truck!

Jeff
  • cruznxcruznx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 07 4 runner 4X4 Sport from fitzmall in PA. i'm orignally from San Diego and I got burned when I bought my 05 tacoma from (Toyota of El Cajon) in Jan 05. Luckily it held it's value and I broke even with the trade.
    anyway, i drove 6hrs in the snow from NY and i can honestly say that the price i paid was well worth it! no haggles whatsoever! the sales woman (Mary) even had the color I ordered at the shop in 3 days. i love this SUV! it did SO well in the snow... a 4X4 is a must for snow!

MSRP: $35717
    Invoice: $32141
    OTD: $30883
    AND we don't have to pay sales tax where my husband's from so to register the vehicle will only cost $74!

FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS
    (SP ) SPORT PKG INCLUDES:
    - *Contents listed in std equipment*
    (FE ) 50-STATE EMISSIONS
    (DJ ) AM/FM STEREO W/6-DISC CD CHANGER INCLUDES:
    - (6) speakers
    (GY ) FRONT SIDE-IMPACT AIRBAGS & 1ST & 2ND ROW ROLL-SENSING SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAGS INCLUDES:
    - cutoff switch
    (RF ) REAR SPOILER
    (RL ) DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
    (SR ) PWR TILT/SLIDE MOONROOF
    (TO ) TOW HITCH
    (Z1 ) PREFERRED PREMIUM ACCESSORY PKG INCLUDES:
    - carpet floor & cargo mat set, cargo net, first aid kit (N/A w/CM Cargo System) (PPO)
    it also came with a roof rack & running boards
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I've seen the 4runner advertised for about 5-6k off MSRP. Your's seems to be about 4500 which I guess is oK. Most of the 5-6k off ones are the 2wd and I assume that would apply to 4wd also but you never know.

In general the 4runner wholesales about 10k off MSRP after year one. (although high, its fairly good in this regard for this segment) Personally, considering this I would want about 6k off. If you're picky on colors and options you'll probably have to pay more.

And of course it depends on how you finance it, which can make a substantial difference.

Enjoy
    --jjf

17 inch wheels
    tonneu cover
    power moon roof
    leather steering wheel
    daytime running lights
    tow hitch
    $28,900.00 which is invoice price.
    mius 1500.00 cash.
    I paid $27,450.00 plus tax, tag, title.
    ALL in was $29,990.00 (i live in the most expensive place on earth)NYC. Ouch. 8.375% tax here plsu tons of other fees..

Anyway, how is $27,450? Essentially it is a loaded 4runner sr5 for 1500 below invoice.

Any thoughts?

Have a great day.
    Replies to this message:
  • ucscucsc Member Posts: 48
    Hi cruznx,

I plan to buy a 07 4Runner Sports V8 in NJ/PA/DE/MD area, and I am VERY impressed by the deal you got on your 4runner from Fitzmall.

I assume you got the $1500 February Toyota factory rebate, which was gone in March in PA. Was the price you got the negotiated price or the "Delivered Value Price" Fitzmall published on its website? Will you recommend me to contact Mary for purchase? Thanks!

UCSC
  • jk356jk356 Member Posts: 2
    silver limited v6 4x4 with option A
    msrp is 40,155

selling price is 33,900 including rebate + ttl

reasonable price?
    I've seen the 30000 models advertised for 5000 off msrp so you never know until you try. See if you can get their best shot and go lower and work it.

However the dealers may hold onto the high end models so you may just wind up taking it if its just the one you want.

--jjf
    silver limited v6 4x4 with option A
    msrp is 40,155

selling price is 33,900 including rebate + ttl

reasonable price?
  • johnl617johnl617 Member Posts: 24
    I called my local toyota dealership in MA.

Right off the bat, the dealer offered me $29,528 (MSRP: $35,439) for a 2007 Toyota 4Runner Sport V6 4x4.

Its not a big dealership. Do you think its a good deal?
    Check out my message 14394 in the Accord prices paid section for useful resources to learn how to buy a car.

Go to kbb.com and nada.com and get the price of a similar used 06 Sport with 15000 miles. Average the two wholesale numbers together. Add 15-20%. If you can work your dealer tomorrow for 15% more than a used one go do it.

6k off msrp is advertised frequently. The fact that he quoted you over the phone may mean he is an eager beaver trying to make a sale last day of the month. Go in and tell him you've seen other SUV's advertised for 10k off list blah blah. See if you can work the 15% # or considerably more than the 6k off.

--jjf
  • jj007jj007 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Chicago market.

I just purchased a 2007 4 Runner SR5 for $500 under invoice
    plus the $1,500 Toyota rebate. I got this price
    from a dealer via their "internet" sales department.

Any idea how they could sell below invoice? Does the Dealer get some kind of additional kickback from Toyota?

Did I do well?
  • electhorseelecthorse Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 2008 4runners are coming out and what, if any, changes the 2008 models will have?
    Thanks.
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    After reading reviews, blogs, and most importantly information from actual users, I've decided that a 4-Runner will be my retirement vehicle. Looks like I'll probably buy new. The 4-Runners hold their value so well that it just does not seem to make economic sense to buy one a year or two old.

Do any of you have recommendations on a dealer in the Philly/South Jersey area that is willing and accustomed to ordering a vehicle? Have no wish to pay for options that I do not want, but there are some that I do want. Since I'm drivng a company car til I retire, the wait for delivery is really not an issue.

I really appreciate any information. Thanks.
    Go read my message 14394 in the Accord Prices paid section for useful information on how to buy a car.

Hit 10-20 dealers with bid solicitations toward the end of the month. You would be better buying a vehicle from among the stock in your area because most rebates and hidden dealer incentives may only apply to those. Better to accept $400 in unneeded options and get the 1500 rebate and 700 hidden incentive than lose it.

Many newspapers have the 4runner advertised for 5500 off MSRP. Doubtless much better deals are worked end of month. This probably isn't possible with ordered vehicles. Find the vehicle closest to what you want and jump in.

--jjf
    I really appreciate the quick response and information. Went to the local dealer today - when salesman found out that I would not be buying for awhile I got the quick shuffle. It was almost funny when he realized that I had done at least SOME homework. Not a very good experience but at least I got to sit in an SE. Had the sunroof and I can now appreciate why tall people had an issue. At just over 5'10" even I felt that the headliner was very close.
  • newcomer1newcomer1 Member Posts: 15
    ready to own a car.

there are so many different kinds of prices: dealer invoice price, factory invoice price, delivered internet price, delivered value price.... even invoice prices are confusing. Consumer Report has different invoice prices for all cars (basic models) than Edmunds ($355 higher). Fitzmall's Internet price is 15k lower than Invoice price.....

can anyone tell me which invoice price you guys talk about?
    hi,

Fitzmall's internet price may already include the $1500 Toyota 4Runner rebate for April. That's why you see the internet price is $1.5K lower than invoice price. Fitzmall.com has detailed explanation of its pricing structure.

UCSC
  • newcomer1newcomer1 Member Posts: 15
    thanks.

Edmunds' invoice price minus rebate is a good deal or it could be lower than that?
  • i080738i080738 Member Posts: 1
    In the Florida area (and I imagine this hapens everywhere else) you can go to a dealer with the carsdirect.com pricing (a little less than invoice) and as for a price match (otherwise carsdirect.com will find a dealer for you). I just bough a new 2007 SR5 at a couple of hundred bucks below invoice and on top of that the $1,500 toyota incentive. I am pretty happy with the vehicle. I went with a basic model (with sunroof) and bought a garmin Nuvi (navigation). It does not get better that that :-)
  • skirunskirun Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I purchased a new 07 Runner from a dealer in Pennsylvania. I negotiated a price with several options including the side curtain airbags. The dealer located a vehicle with the options I wanted from a dealer in New York and had it delivered later same day. Long story short ... I have the signed agreement of sale that lists all the options we had nogiated and the nogotiated price, but the vehicle now in my garage does NOT have the side curtain airbags. I only found this today out while reviewing the window sticker (which was not given to me until after the deal was made). What recourse do I have, and what would you do? Seems to me a breach of contract.
    Not sure if you have any real legal recourse if none of the documents that you signed did not mention the curtain airbags. Maybe the dealer will help if you approach them nicely. An old colleague taught me years ago "What the big print giveth, the fine print taketh away". Not a knock on you personally - it is something that could have happened to any of us.
  • krochellikrochelli Member Posts: 11
    4x2 V6 Sport in CA:

32.2k sticker
    28.1k selling price

I leased, so did not receive/use the rebate. Came out to $416/month with nothing down but driveoff costs.

Really a great truck for the money! Very happy.
  • drbzdrbz Member Posts: 4

Car: 07 4Runner Limited 4.7LV8 w/NAV, rear seat DVD, fully loaded

Price: ~$600 below invoice + $1250 rebate
  • 98camryv698camryv6 Member Posts: 37
    I'm buying a 4Runner SR5, 2x4, V6 in about one week.
    MSRP 29219
    Inv 26348
    Negotiated sales price 25148. (email confirmed)
    Add tax
    Subtract 1500 incentive
    Add Fees
    Total = 25596
    If that is about 5500 off MSRP sounds like a OK deal. They're advertised for this amount off fairly frequently. If you didn't work hard to get it try for 6000+
    (wifey doesn't like it, etc...) and see what happens toward the end of the month with some other dealers too.

--jjf

I'm buying a 4Runner SR5, 2x4, V6 in about one week.
    MSRP 29219
    Inv 26348
    Negotiated sales price 25148. (email confirmed)
    Add tax
    Subtract 1500 incentive
    Add Fees
    Total = 25596
  • 98camryv698camryv6 Member Posts: 37
    I called the dealerships up again and 1000-1200 under invoice is about the price the dealerships start telling me they can't do the deal. I had about 4 dealerships at 1k below invoice. And one at 1200 below and another I'm waiting on. So I guess 1300 below invoice is my target price. (All this exclused 1500 incentive).
  • ampmicoampmico Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help me out with OTD prices for the SR5 V8 4WD model? thanks
    5000-6000+ off MSRP seems to be it. Plus Tax and Title and Registration.
    Check out my message 14394 in the Accord prices paid section for useful resources on how to buy a car.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Can anyone help me out with OTD prices for the SR5 V8 4WD model? thanks
  • sonny_k9sonny_k9 Member Posts: 15
    I got two dealers to quote me $1200 under invoice (excluding the toyota rebate). SR5 Sport 4x4. This is in the DC tri-state area.
  • brad627brad627 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking at buying a 2006 4runner that i test drove today. It is a gunmetal sr5 v6 2wd. it has the x-sp package with a sunroof but thats all. its a dealer demo and has 8100 miles. I was quoted 580 a month with 1000 down. Is this really high (i think it is). Im guessing it was for 60 months and i dont know the interest rate and other specifics because i was in a hurry. Thanks for all your help.
    Look up your vehicle on edmunds and kbb.com used with 8100 miles. Even though you may be the first titled owner it is almost 2 years old. You want to pay around wholesale to wholesale+1000. Thats probably around 20-22000. Run that figure through edmunds interest rate calculator. The new ones run $5000-6000 off MSRP so keep that in mind for perspective.

Good Luck
    --jjf

I am looking at buying a 2006 4runner that i test drove today. It is a gunmetal sr5 v6 2wd. it has the x-sp package with a sunroof but thats all. its a dealer demo and has 8100 miles. I was quoted 580 a month with 1000 down. Is this really high (i think it is). Im guessing it was for 60 months and i dont know the interest rate and other specifics because i was in a hurry. Thanks for all your help.
    Hi Sonny_k9,

I am in DC tri-state area, and I also plan to buy a SR5 Sport 4x4 V8. Could you please do me a big favor to tell me which dealers offer the $1200 under invoice? If possible, could you please email me the details to tempusage03@yahoo.com? Thanks a lot!

UCSC