Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jettafacejettaface Member Posts: 15
    Additional Question: Has anyone seen the X-SP Leather Faced Seats which is included in the XSP Package Option? I can't find pictures or a detailed description and am wondering if these seats are all leather or what? I am hoping to visit a dealership this weekend to see if I can view them.
  • piaoliangmmpiaoliangmm Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys":
    I got a quote from local toyota dealer for 4 runner base model SR5 4x2 4 door.
    Vehicle Base Model $ 27635.00
    50 State Emissions
    Tonneau Cover 90.00
    Black Roof Rack & Cross Bars 220.00
    17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires 100.00
    Driver & Fr Passenger Seat Side Mounted 680.00
    Airbags, First & Second Row Roll Sensing
    Side Curtain Airbags with Cutoff Switch,
    Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
    Weight Carrying Tow Hitch and Ball Mount 430.00
    Kit (V6 Models Only) .
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo 199.00

Total Accessories $ 1719.00
    Destination Charge $ 685.00
    ---------
    Total ...... $ 30039.00

the e-price for me is 24730.00 includes dealership discount, factory rebates, and on-line savings certificates. Price does not include tax, title, license or $299.50 processing fee.

finial price is 24730 + TTL.
    I want to know if you guys think it is a good deal or not?

thanks a lot
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The average deal on a 30k ish 4runner is 5000-6000 off MSRP, so you have an average deal.

--jjf

Hi guys":
    I got a quote from local toyota dealer for 4 runner base model SR5 4x2 4 door.
    Vehicle Base Model $ 27635.00
    50 State Emissions
    Tonneau Cover 90.00
    Black Roof Rack & Cross Bars 220.00
    17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65R17 Tires 100.00
    Driver & Fr Passenger Seat Side Mounted 680.00
    Airbags, First & Second Row Roll Sensing
    Side Curtain Airbags with Cutoff Switch,
    Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
    Weight Carrying Tow Hitch and Ball Mount 430.00
    Kit (V6 Models Only) .
    Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo 199.00

Total Accessories $ 1719.00
    Destination Charge $ 685.00
    ---------
    Total ...... $ 30039.00

the e-price for me is 24730.00 includes dealership discount, factory rebates, and on-line savings certificates. Price does not include tax, title, license or $299.50 processing fee.

finial price is 24730 + TTL.
    I want to know if you guys think it is a good deal or not?

thanks a lot
  • i30rlsi30rls Member Posts: 28
    Hello, everyone. I need everyone's feeling on the following price.
    I registered with CarsDirect.com, requested to get the price on Toyota 4Runner 2007 4x4 auto, Sports Edition, the website notes $28,207(??), rep calls me and tells me they have one available for $29,805, with taxes, documentation fees and registration fees it would come up to $32,500. Do you think this is a good price, should I go with it or try to play negotioation games with dealers and hope to get a better price.... Let me know, my email is i30RLS@aol.com. thank you.
  • mtpulsarmtpulsar Member Posts: 10
    If you're considering getting a 2007 4-Runner (no trade in), your target price should be invoice less any current Toyota incentives. I'm on my 3rd 4-runner, and I've done ALOT better selling on my own, than trading in (one less point to negotiate). Know your market. In Northern NJ, there are Toyota dealers a plenty, so they want to move whatever 07s they have in stock. Prestige Toyota lists the invoice on their website. I did everything over the phone: invoice - rebate + 7% NJ tax + $7 tire tax + $149 doc fee + 4 year registration ($351). No other costs (window etching is a scam: you can do it yourself for $15 via internet). Also, if you have excellent credit, you should opt for cash back, and negotiate the TMC financing. I was given a ridiculous finance rate. Then I got my own financing, and all of a sudden the TMC rate came down. There was still a few $100 difference (over the life of the loan), so they threw in a dealer accessory to make up the difference (I guess they get "points" if you finance through TMC). I don't get into "holdbacks". Although car dealers created this market place where consumers can negotiate final cost (try doing that with an expensive item from Niemman Marcus), they should be entitled to make some money, so I don't get into the holdbacks (which, from what I've read, are in the 2-4% range).
  • danellegdanelleg Member Posts: 2
    In Sacramento CA I paid $100.00 below invoice before incentives, for a 2007 4-Runner Sport 4x4. Maita Toyota was very prompt to answer my emails so they won my business. One of the dealers in the area tried to sell me a 2007 4-Runner at MSRP. I laughed and explained I wasn't paying MSRP for any vehicle. He said Good Luck and hung up the phone.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I'm in Sacramento too. Which one was the bad dealer?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I have 500 miles on my new 4-Runner Sport w/V-6, hitch and a couple other factory installed options. I'm pretty pleased. I picked it up the week before the Labor Day weekend. $300 over invoice and $2000 cash back from Toyota. Total price was about $30,365 out the door or $5,149 below sticker. No trade.
    Hey, everyone. Thanks for your responses. Anyone had any positive experience in New York - Westchester or upper westchester area?
  • welldonewelldone Member Posts: 15
    I am planning to buy an SR5 4x2 in San Antonio/Austin/Dallas/Houston area. Anyone recently bought one? What should I aim?
    Thnx
    hey, mtpulsar

email me at i30RLs@aol.com

I have couple of questions to ask you regards to Prestige dealership experience.

One of the questions is after they provided you with the invoice, was it different from what they show on their website?

Did you negotitate?

Email me.
    Hey, all. After a month of research finally purchased my 4Runner Sports with extra options it comes. Haggled the salesperson at Rockland Toyota, New York to $30,499, rebate was not included because I took special 1.9% financing for 48months. Took the car the same day. Negotiation process was brutal, we spent 4 hours from the time we walked in to the time we drove out. Before going to Rockland Toyota, we went to Ramsey's Prestige Toyota in New Jersey, they had the car we wanted, the salesperson gave us the price they gave me over email and they wouldn't budge on the price. And in the end when we were about to leave, he told me to stop, and I am thinking he will give me a better price, instead comes over and tells me to buy the car for lower price at the DisneyWorld. They were very unprofessional, so me and my wife just walked away. Anyways, I am happy with price that we got from Rockland Toyota, since it seems to be average value for the car.
    I used carbuyingtips.com to do all my research and used their scenario excel spreadsheets to double check numbers, and everything worked fine. So if you are looking for 4Runner, go to Rockland Toyota and talk to the salesperson Marc L. he had a good attitude and was willing to negotiate with us and the manager. Oh, and finance manager wasn't trying to sell us anything additional, so the paper work Any questions, let me know.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    In the future, drive over the bridge and go to Toyota City in Mamaroneck. Simple negotiation for a reasonable price we could live with. Also the service department is real good. Would definitely go back.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    This must be a regional thing. Are you in the Gulf states region or Southeast Toyota region?
    Mackabee
    What are you doing asking people on this board if it's a good deal? Go buy it now!
    ;)
    Mack
    "And in the end when we were about to leave, he told me to stop, and I am thinking he will give me a better price, instead comes over and tells me to buy the car for lower price at the DisneyWorld."

Really? He said that to you? I would have called the General Manager and reported him.
    Mack
    Hey, Ponytrekker...

It's funny you mentioned Toyota in Mamaroneck.. we went there 2 weeks before we went to Rockland Toyota. Mamaroneck toyota had a pleasant salesperson, he seemed respectful, went on a test drive with us, but they didn't have the car we wanted in stock. They had SR5 which we didn't want. And they offerred to get it from another dealer or location, I said no, because doing so would be raising price on us. So we just saig goodbye. I don't regret my purchase from Rockland Toyota. I played my cards right and I got what I wanted.
    Hey, mackabee

I went to that dealership because of your post. Well, anyways, wife didn't mind driving up there once she saw Ikea nearby.
    After we left there, they're telemarketing dept rep called us and asked us why we left, so we explained the whole experience, they wanted us to come back, but we didn't do it because the price was still not what we were hoping.

This is what I learned from visiting all the toyta dealerships, they all say they sold 400-500 cars during the last month, they all say they are number one when it comes to awards, and they all say they provide #1 service. After a while it was hard for me to believe what all of them were saying was actually true.
    Hi i30rls,

I have been looking for an SR5 and I would like to know your target price if you do not mind.

Thanks
    Hey, welldone
    The price that I paid for my car SportEd 4Runner was very close to SmartTargetPrice from cars.com, I was very surprised to that. Edmund's price was a bit off, lower than dealers would actually sell for.
    According to cars.com, smart target price for SR5 2007 4Runner is $26,109, so haggling the dealer to $26,500 would be appropriate. But you should hurry up, because this is the time to do it (great financing rates or 2000 cash back). Go to carbuyingtips.com and download their free excel spreadsheets for your carbuying, it helps tremendously. It also helps to email dealers asking if they have SR5 in stock, what color and so on. I think they are more willing to negotiate with you if they have a car in their lot.
    Also, sign up with carsdirect.com, they give you the price on the spot, however, that spot price may differ from the actual price when their rep calls you. Either way, you'll get some idea what to ask for.
    Use tips from carbuyingtips.com, as I wrote earlier, that's what helped me to play the game with them, some dealears would be willing to negotiate and some would tell you to go to DisneyWolrd and buy it from Mickey Mouse (from my experience), so you may have to go thru couple of them. But email would be appropriate start, email them and ask them the price that they would be willing to sell, and then once you go there show them emails and start negotiating from the prices they emailed you.
    hope that helps
  • kenlee1820kenlee1820 Member Posts: 4
    I GOT A QUOTE FROM A NEW YORK AREA DEALER $29,000 FOR A SR5 4X4 WHICH STICKER PRICE IS $32,897. IS THAT A GOOD PRICE? OR CAN HAVE A LOWER PRICE?
    Hey, kenlee1820
    what year is it?
    I think you can get that car for lower.
    Email other dealers. And email the new york area dealer asking if that is the best price they can do? You may want to haggle with them. Read my post #1585. Use carbuyingtips.com, cars.com, carsdirect.com to come up with the price. do your research and good luck.
  • mooyou123mooyou123 Member Posts: 2
    I received a quote today for an 07 4runner sr5 model for only 23k in southern california!
    That is a good price, mooyou123.
    I hope this is the new car you got the price for.
    this is the 2007 SR5 4X4 WITH OPTIONS and sticker price $32897. how much you paid for your car? and what's the sticker price? let me know so I can compare the price... thank you!
    Hey, kenlee1820, my car was 2007 4X4 Sports Edition, that comes with options, their MSRP price was $34,695 and I haggled them down to $30,499. Use cars.com to check what would be the suggested smart price. My price was very close to their estimate. Also, use carbuyingtips.com to help you in your negotiations...
    I think for SR5, they should bring down the price below $30,000... depending on the options, (what options does SR5 has?) you can also see actual prices for individual options on edmunds.com. When I was doing my negotiations, I presented them with all the material, so they knew that I knew.
    thank you for reply i30rls. your price was less MSRP $4196. so I still can haggle them down few hundred bucks. no matter what option the car have, just haggle them down $4000-$4500 from MSRP should be the good price .. right? and still have the $2000 rebate and low APR.
    4000 off msrp and the 2000 rebate (6000 off msrp) and the low apr would be a very good deal. Especially if it is exactly what you want on a 30,000-ish model.

Good luck
    --jjf

thank you for reply i30rls. your price was less MSRP $4196. so I still can haggle them down few hundred bucks. no matter what option the car have, just haggle them down $4000-$4500 from MSRP should be the good price .. right? and still have the $2000 rebate and low APR.
  • tyttyt Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know the factory-to-dealer incentives, if any? edmunds does not list the factory-to-dealer's incentive, so I'm inclined to believe there aren't any
    Hi i30rls,
    Thanks for your detailed reply. Buying a Toyota is extremely difficult comparing Honda. 2 months ago, I easily bought a Honda at the price I was looking for.
    I put together all options I like and found invoice prices of all. Unfortunately, since there are lots of options, locating one with all the options you like is not easy. I checked out www.toyota.com/4runner for availability in my area and there are some. Some dealers did not bother to reply, I am still looking. As I said, buying a Toyota is too much work.
  • stormylolostormylolo Member Posts: 3
    Quoted 32,600.00 out the door price. Is this a good deal?

My other choice is a '07 Lexus RX350 program vehicle, that is certified. has 14,100 miles. out the door is 34,200. Not certain which is the better deal.

I could live with either car.

thanks, stormylolo
    Stormylolo

Toyota Limited price is good. Does that include rebate. I hope not, I hope you opt for 0% financing. If that is the price with rebate, then it is not as good. It's ok price, they would be making load of money off you. So you should provide more detail on that price you received.
    hey, welldone.

buying toyota does seem to take a lot of time, but time is money, so if you are going to save thousands of $$$$, why not, if they don't respond to your emails, i think the best thing would be just go to the dealership and inquire if they have the vehicle you want, color, options... and then start negotiating, because it is easy to negotiate on the car that is just parked in their lot and wasting space...
    Hi i30rls,

I agree. I will try my luck this weekend at a few dealerships since it is month end. I appreciate your help.
  • vill1999vill1999 Member Posts: 1
    Was just quoted $37200 for an '07 4Runner fully loaded w/ NAV. Taking the 0% financing for 48 mos. so i lose the incentive and the car is really worth $39K. Original sticker was $43875. Is this a good deal or not? Thanks.
  • msachdevmsachdev Member Posts: 3
    I looked at the same truck in memphis, with the sticker being 39 high, they came back with 38 low, and would not budge. I was sure they would go lower with today being the last day of the month and quarter etc. but no luck.
    check with cars.com and edmunds.com to see what the car's smart price is or average price. I think the price for Limited was too high and if they are not budging, leave, go to another dealership. That's what I did then I was told that the price that I wanted, I had to go to DisneryWorld. and guess what, I purchased it the same day for the price that I wanted at another dealership.
    Don't know if this was an end of month deal but if the factory msrp sticker was 43900 (not with overpriced dealer add ons) and you get 6700 off plus about 4000 off worth for the 0% that is a good deal. The vehicle may wholesale used after 1 yr for about 14000+ off msrp so they are hardly giving it away.

good luck
    --jjf

Was just quoted $37200 for an '07 4Runner fully loaded w/ NAV. Taking the 0% financing for 48 mos. so i lose the incentive and the car is really worth $39K. Original sticker was $43875. Is this a good deal or not? Thanks
  • msachdevmsachdev Member Posts: 3
    talked to the internet pricing people, they are going to beat their own salesman. Told them another dealer was taking 3500 off sticker (39.9) (this is true) and they said they would beat it. Just waiting for the final offer. If it is under 36000 then will take the 200 of as financing is about 6000.

Originally wanted a tahoe, but couldn't get a deal I liked. Have loved 4runners since I wa a kid and had forgotton about them and then looked online and started talking.
    Yes, be careful of those telemarketers working for dealerships, even though they may tell you they will beat the price, make sure to bring your emails to the dealerships, you should have everything documented. Because from my experience, when I got to the dealership, they told me that telemarketer was giving me the price on the lower model, so make sure you mention in the email the model of the car. Don't trust those internet pricing people, all they want is to get you come down to the dealership. You have better chances of negotiating for the car without them giving you a price and getting the best price if they have the car in the lot wasting space.
  • klosekaption2klosekaption2 Member Posts: 1
    Ok. This is my first time purchasing a vehicle on my own. I was quoted the price of $26,885 on a 2007 4Runner which has a sticker price of $29,334.00. I was hoping that I could get a better deal at this late date in the year but I was told that this was their final offer. I only want it in a particular color and I have searched 3 different states. I'm pretty sure I could get a lower price if I considered another color but I'm not open to that. Need advice ASAP.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    That's a good question - you want to get a fair deal. I bought a 2007 Sport just before the Labor Day weekend. It was $300 over invoice and $2000 cash back from Toyota. The net was about $5149 below sticker. A bit over $35,000 sticker and a bit over $30,000 out the door. I was pleased to see that the out-the-door price was within a hundred dollars or so of the Edmunds "TMV" for the same model in my zip code. Check out the Edmunds site and plan to pay about what they have there.
  • ucscucsc Member Posts: 48
    Dear all,

I bought a 07 4Runner SR4 V6 4x4 with side airbags, mooon roof, 17'' alloy wheels etc. in PA in the end of Sept.

MSRP ~$33,600,
    Invoice ~$30,300,
    Price negotiated $29,550 + 0% APR for 48 month,
    Additional college graduation rebate $400,
    Out-of-door $31,000 + 0% APR for 48 month.

I took 0% APR for 48 months because the interest of financing $30K at 5.5% APR (fair market rate) for 48 month is about $3.5K, greater than the $1.8K rebate. So my price is $7.5K below MSRP.

UCSC
    Hey, UCSC

Any tips/suggestions for successful negotiations. How did it go for you?

The price you paid is pretty good with those options.
  • ucscucsc Member Posts: 48
    Hi,

The negotiation is very difficult. Most dealers wouldn't go $200 below invoice on the phone, but I kept on calling/emailing all dealers within 200 miles. I finally got a good deal from an out-of-state dealer, then I asked my local dealer to match it. I think any deal of $500 below invoice is a good one.

UCSC
    Hi i30rls,

I finally found a 4wd sr5 with all the options I like at $30,020 I am willing to pay. It is ~6100 off MSRP with a couple thrown-in accessories. I'll go with 0% financing (so it is actually 4100 off), what do you think about the price?

Thanks,
    Hey, welldone. What are those accessories?
    When you priced the accessories with Edmunds.com or car.com, what is the smart price or TMV price on the car? List the accessories. I was actually thinking of purchasing SR5 myself, but I figured, Sports Edition came with all the accessories and options that I wanted in SR5, so I went with Sports Edition, plus it looked meaner and sportier :) Make sure you ask to see the invoice from the dealer. Also, try to price it up with carsdirect as well. $30,020 could be a good price, but you gotta have different sources to agree with you that the price is good. Also, check carbuyingtips.com. Ignore dealer's MSRP price, I am thinking they just put any number there... Hey, another thing is if you ask for too many accessories, and they don't have the car in stock on their lot with those accessories, they have a bargaining power, which means more money for you pay them. It is always better just to go to the dealership, read the sticker with the price and what options it already has and try to negotiate the price on that car, so they can sell it to you without incurring any additional costs at installing additional options. Again, Sports and Limited Editions come with most of the options Toyota offers, so you have better chance of getting a good price on those models if you really want the accessories. And to be honest, one of the accessories that i wanted 6 disk cd player, is the only thing I am not happy about in my sports edition. The sound is awful, compared to Clarion cd player that I had in my old 04 Honda Civic. I can't figure whether speakers are at fault or cd system itself. I was thinking of getting one of those after market ones, but after reading somewhere that there are many things connected to its cd player, I am afraid that they can disable some options or damage some things while installing after market cd / dvd player. So, think about your options, do you need to pay $2500 extra for that navigation system or you'd better off using $300 Garmin. Choices, choices...
    i30rls,

I have been searching all available 4Runners online. I located 5 of them at nearby dealerships. So, I contacted them all, some dragged their feet to respond. However, this vehicle is on one of the local dealer's lot. Last month, I visited the dealership 2 times, I walked away from the deal 2 times. This is an aged vehicle and has been sitting on their lot for a long time. The 4WD sales are slow here. Finally, I negotiated down to this price. The MSRP is $36200 on the sticker. The cars.com smart target price is 31063 without Leather, Vehicle Shield Package and Package B. The Edmunds.com TMV price is $31,080 again without Leather, Vehicle Shield Package and Package B. Yes, I saw the dealer invoice, the invoice price was $32493 that included the holdback of $598 and PIO (port installed options) holdback of $292.

The add-on accessories are all weather floor/cargo mats and homelink and they are not included in the MSRP. The installed options on the SR5 4WD are:

o 17" Alloy Wheels W/P265/65r17 Tires
    o Tonneau Cover
    o Black Roof Rack And Cross Bars
    o Rr Spoiler W/Center High Mounted Stop Lamp
    o Daytime Running Lights
    o Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof W/Sunshade
    o Vehicle Shield Package
    -Lusterizing Sealant
    -Sound Shield
    -Sealant Cleaner
    -Rental Car Assistance
    o Double Decker Cargo System W/Cargo Net
    o Leather Steering Wheel And Shift Knob:
    -Includes: Cruise Control And Audio Controls
    o Power 8-Way Driver And 4-Way Passenger
    o Nightvision Mirror Upgrade Includes Compass
    o Receiver Hitch / Wire Harness
    o Leather Interior Upgrade
    -Includes:
    -Front Leather Faced Seats
    -Liquicell Comfort Technology
    -Power Lumbar Support - Passenger
    o The Extra Mile Option Package B
    -Custom Tape Stripe
    -Cargo Net
    -First Aid Kit
    -Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc)
    -Fabric Guard
    -Wheel Locks
    -Carpet Floor Mats
    -Rear Cargo Mat
    -Road Hazard Tire Warranty (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)
    -Roadside Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)
    -The Extra Mile Service Rewards Program(5 Yrs/60,000 Miles)

Yes, the sound system would be nice, but, you can not have them all. I am not a big fan of built-in navigation systems, either. So, what do you think about the price?

Thanks,
    You want 6000-8000 off msrp for a 33k ish 07 4runner. The dealer add-ons you can calculate and add on separately. They are universally overpriced on the sticker. Good luck.

--jjf
  • ty2007ty2007 Member Posts: 2
    according to edmunds:

SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A) Invoice: $28,508
    SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A) Invoice: $26,709

according to carsdirect:
    Vehicle Shield Package Invoice: $99
    Extra Mile Option Package B Invoice: $455
    Leather Interior Upgrade Invoice: $1,005