Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Yeah, CS has the same figures available here as well as kbb and other places on the web. Invoice figures varying by about 130 dollars are pretty meaningless when depending on how smart you work it you are shooting for $10000-13000+ off a truck
    Figure in how smart you work your trade in another $800-3000. And of course financing ($500-3000 over 4 or so years).

Don't spend too much time wondering why some different sources vary $100-200 on the invoice price of a certain vehicle.

Good luck
    --jjf

Why waste the money? The figures are just as easily obtainable here on edmunds. Consumer reports is just looking to soak you for the $15-$30 to get their "advice". Or just as easy, when you're at the dealership, ask to see the invoice. If you're working with any sort of reputable dealership, they should be willing to bring you the invoice to look at. Toyota doesn't have volume incentives like many other manufacturers, and if you're working on a vehicle that has rebates or special financing, the invoice is the accurate amount that the dealership paid for the vehicle.

Just my $.02
  • donselldonsell Member Posts: 27
    From what I read, there is a lot of information that isn't on the dealer's invoice. That's why a dealer can give you invoice + $1 and still make a killing. I wouldn't mind spending a little if it told me how low the dealer would really be willing to go.
  • lilelvislilelvis Member Posts: 82
    Another thing we haven't mentioned is the other ways dealers make money even when selling a car at "cost."

Processing fees - Why don't they just call this what it is - profit. These seem to range from $99 to several hundred. They can call it a firetruck for all I care, but it is just profit for them. I also tend to think the "transportation fees" they are adding on nowadays is full of profit as well. I think it is around $675 for a 4runner.

Extended warranties - these are cash cows for the dealers. Figure several hundred dollars for them right there if you take their extended warranty.

Financing - I'm not sure if they make money when using the mfr 0% deals, but when they use their in house financing for your loan they get money for that as well.

Undercoating, VIN etching, floor mats, etc - besides the dubious value of these in the first place, they are profit heavy for the dealer.

And then any servicing you have done at that dealer.

There are several other items too, but you get the point. Even if a dealer sold you a vehicle at their true "cost" they could make a tidy some elsewhere.
  • donselldonsell Member Posts: 27
    I pulled the trigger on a new 4Runner SR5 V6 yesterday. MSRP: $32,799, Invoce $29,240 Paid $25,279 before trade. $7,520 under MSRP, $3961 under invoice.

This was in from Omaha. There had been slight hail damage which the dealer repaired and was not evident. I imagine he made some insurance money there.
  • biker123biker123 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a new 2008 4runner next week. Can I get some input from the folks here who got a 4 runner recently? like the price paid? how much off the invoice? I am in texas. Thanks in advance!
  • leileileilei Member Posts: 1
    We bought the brand new SR5 V6 4WD yesterday at Chicago area. SR5 value package 1, real spoiler, tow hitch, day time running lights and mats set. Only 2 miles. Invoice is around $29612. We got the price $25050 + TTL. This is more than $1000 below the invoice after the rebate. Thanks to my wife, she was amazingly good at negotiation of the price. The only extra option we picked is leather seats upgrade for $1395.
  • bamafan7727bamafan7727 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at getting to Toyota this month. Pricing at the first dealership was:
    30217 Invoice
    +600 Mark-up
    30817 Total

-2500 Rebate (September)
    Price 27300 + TTD

The dealer said that there may be some wiggle room and I don't have to buy a car now. I have seen some posts that are down in the 24,500 range. So I have 2 questions.
    1. Where do I find the MSRP or calculate the invoice-incentive price?
    2. What should I offer?
  • biker123biker123 Member Posts: 2
    Where do I find the MSRP or calculate the invoice-incentive price?
    edmunds.com
    I made an offer today using the guidelines that I saw online in this subject. The first question asked by the sales guy was "Here is our invoice price, how much above invoice would you like to pay?" My reply is that I do not want to pay over invoice. He then asked "Do you want to pay invoice price?". I said no and I wanted to pay below invoice. He gave me a strange look and I then offered about 3500 under invoice + the rebate for a total of 23884 vs invoice of 29884. He said that his dealer does not sell below invoice. Not even a second offer back to me. I have now emailed 10 other dealers similar to a suggestion here. I have no trade and will pay cash. Any other suggestions that anyone may have? Does my offer sound reasonable? :)
  • lilelvislilelvis Member Posts: 82
    It's a tough call in this market since 4runners are sitting on lots. That being said, asking a dealer to eat $3500 or so is a lot.

If you conservatively figure their cost as invoice minus hold back (let's say $500) minus any mfr to dealer incentives (currently $1000 marketing support) then they break even at about $1500 under invoice. Of course that assumes they are getting the holdback and not using the marketing support.

Now, maybe they would be willing to lose some money to clear some inventory - maybe not.

An earlier post said he got $1000 under invoice and that seems real good. Also don't forget those additional fees (processing fees, transportation, etc). That is really just profit for the dealer. If they insist on charging you those, your offer should be that much lower.

So the answer is: "Who knows" I would guess $3500 under is way too low, but in this market maybe not. There just isn't enough data points in this thread to get a good idea on an exact number. But you have given us one more.

Have you tried e-mailing dealers outlining the exact truck you want and stating if you get me that truck I will buy today for $XXXXX? I think I would try that at $1500 or $2000 under and see how it goes. Please post your results - this thread is sorely lacking hard numbers.
  • harshvedaharshveda Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking to buy a 4runner limited in Atlanta area. Please share your experience, if anybody bought in Atlanta Area.
  • i30rlsi30rls Member Posts: 28
    Here what you need to consider before purchasing 4Runner.

It starts to rust under the hood in the first 4 months, Toyota says it is rusting from the outside in, so they don't fix it or cover it under warranty.

Audio system starts to go crazy during hot humid days. CD player starts to spit out CDs in the cd changer, words on the stereo are all scrambled

And of course, gas milege is not the best...

If you don't believe me, google it and you will see what other problems 4runners have.

All my statements are based on the 2007 4runner Sport (purchased in Sept 07 as new). The car started having above issues in Dec 07 (rust) and July 08 (audio).
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "It starts to rust under the hood in the first 4 months, Toyota says it is rusting from the outside in, so they don't fix it or cover it under warranty."

No rust on my 2003 4Runner, and I take it out on the beach for 2 weeks every year.

"Audio system starts to go crazy during hot humid days. CD player starts to spit out CDs in the cd changer, words on the stereo are all scrambled"

No radio/CD problems on my 4Runner.

"And of course, gas milege is not the best... "

Agreed. Of course, it is just about what you would expect from a heavy, body-on-frame, SUV.

I've had put 73,000 miles on my 4Runner since new. In that time, I've had the following replaced:

- brake disks and pads
    - AC condensor clutch solenoid
    - rear hatch motor and strike plate

Other than that, I've just done standard maintenance. Mine has been very, very reliable.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Wow. These aren't perfect, but in the long run you'll be happy with your vehicle. At 1100 miles the radio died. At 11,000 miles the VSC died. Both were promptly repaired and no problems since 2004. Mpg = 14 city, 18 highway.

Vehicle > 2003 4Runner V6 4WD
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Does anyone have experience with any of the dealers budging in the northwest for a sport v8? Except on a few certain models, dealer do not appear to be reducing prices below $3000 under MSRP + the $2500 rebate. So $5,500 off MSRP. Comparing to invoice is worthless, since dealers have difference invoice prices for the exact same vehicle; whereas, MSRP is constant and determined by Toyota. I see posting for phenomial deals, but I can not seem to locate them. Or are the good deals primarily for used 4Runners?
    I have been working with about 4 different dealers. One has finally agreed to sell at invoice, although I know they are still making holdback + options cost. ANother agreed split the holdback ($600 so $300 under invoice) and a third said that they would give to me with most of the holdback to get the vehicle moved. That is about $600 under invoice. He said Toyota is not giving any dealer cash yet and he only makes money on the options and holdback. THe interesing thing is that the dealers are NOT moving them off the lots and should be more willing to deal, but not yet. I am waiting in SEA area for another month and then try to see which 4Runners are left.

If you want to take a road trip, a dealer in Alabama offered me $1000 under invoice and a $4000 rebate for a 4WD SR5.
  • skr2skr2 Member Posts: 32
    I am interested in getting the 4Runner 2WD 4.0L V6 in the Dallas Area. Would appreciate if anybody could share their experience, if anybody bought in the Dallas area recently.
    I only every compare relative to MSRP, since that is consistent across all dealers. Invoice varies by dealer and location. 4-Runners continue to set on the lots for months, but I really can not do much better than $3K under invoice on a sport in the northwest. Higher discount are available on certain Limiteds.
  • lka1224lka1224 Member Posts: 6
    I'm new to the whole SUV world but looking to get a 4Runner.

According to Edmunds, a new 08 Sport Edition is 25,149 after destination charge. Assuming no trade, and 0% financing through Toyota, what should I consider a good deal or steal? There are a ton of these on the lots, and I'm quite interested. I'm thinking $25,000 flat would be good + TTL, but any guidance would be a great help, thank you!
  • dumeelpdumeelp Member Posts: 7
    Got it for 24K OTD.

It was priced approx 2K below invoice. Got 4.4K in rebates (4K in usual rebates + 400 for new grads). With TTL + Doc fee ended up being 24K even. I negotiated a little hard on the last day of the month.

Good luck with the negotiations.

Dumeel
  • harshvedaharshveda Member Posts: 17
    Hey Dumeel,

I too like in atlanta area and looking to buy the a 4runner this week. could you please let me know from which dealer you got this deal. Also, could you please post the detailed spec of your 4runner. I appreciate your help.
  • dumeelpdumeelp Member Posts: 7
    The dealer is Sandy Springs Toyota. Email me at dumeel.pandian@yahoo.com and I will provide the contact sales person name and number. He was very helpful in the whole process.

As I said in the previous posting, it is a 2008 4Runner Sr5 V6 2WD with Sr5 Value package ( that has upgraded wheels, steering wheel control, moonroof, etc). It is kind of the basic set of options...

Dumeel
  • sicemnaesicemnae Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a Toyota SR5 4Runner with leather and a moonroof. It is a 2008 demo with 4600 miles on it. The sticker on it is $33K and the invoice on edmunds is $28ish. It is a demo though with alot of miles. What would be a fair price on this? The sales manager made the comment he would love to see it go, like it's been there a long time. I've never bought a demo so don't know how to negotiate on it, but I think it is alot of miles so it shoudl be a large discount, right? Thanks for the help!
  • putridputrid Member Posts: 2
  • putridputrid Member Posts: 2
    I guess return doesn't go to the next field... sigh.

So I just wanted to check with others and perhaps get some re-assurance that
    I've got a decent deal here. I'm getting a 2008 V6 4WD SR5 with the following
    options - not requested, just what they had on the lot in the 2008 SR5s - [CF],
    [QT], [TO], [DJ], [EC], [NJ], [V5]. The V5 is something I don't see on Edmunds but it's on the Toyota website as the VIP RS3200 Plus alarm system with an MSRP of $359. The TMV (without the V5) is $29738. The dealer claims their 'cost' was
    $30134 and they wanted $30800. I subtracted off numbers for the things i
    didn't want (TO, DJ, V5) and came up with a $30000, which is about $260
    over the TMV, but with the V5. Of course, it wasn't accepted immediately,
    but I got a call back accepting that offer. Now since the 0% for 48 months has been extended, that's my bottom line - $30000 + TTL at 0%. Any thoughts on whether that's a good deal? Or should I push back more? Given that the 0% has been extended, I don't mind waiting some more :) Thanks in advance
    for any insight!
    -Karl
  • room707room707 Member Posts: 1
    I just got an offer for a 2008 SR5 with Qt value package invoice price 30.248. 23804 after (2500 rebate) in LA area. Shall i consider it as good deal or still workable in these days. I am not a big negotiator

please respond
  • redsox20042redsox20042 Member Posts: 2
    My dealer in Mississippi found the 4-Runner I was looking for in Texas. Why am I being charged $740.00 to transport it? This seems absurd. Am I responsible for this fee?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I also saw your post elsewhere. The answer is yes, if you want THAT vehicle you pay to get it there. The cost includes transportation, wages, and possibly overnight charges for whoever needs to get back to Texas. Hopefully the vehicle isn't sourced from Galveston.

They better be flatbedding or using a carhauler for that amount. If they're driving it then forget it.
  • redsox20042redsox20042 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding! I believe it is being transported from San Antonio. Yeah, wouldn't want a car from Galveston right now, just like I wouldn't have wanted one from here (Mississippi) after Katrina. I am almost certain it is being delivered by truck.

Thanks!
  • nhdriver2nhdriver2 Member Posts: 3
    2008 4 Runner Limited V6, with extra val. package, JBL, daytime running lights, tow, mats, wheel locks. MSRP= $39,940. paying=$34,987 ($3000 rebate not included yet).
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If you look up the used trade in value of an 07 version of your vehicle on kbb.com I doubt if it books for more than 28000 with avg. miles. (this is what your 08 will be worth in 12 months). So yes, you would want at least 8000 off msrp for your new 08.

Good luck
    --jjf

2008 4 Runner Limited V6, with extra val. package, JBL, daytime running lights, tow, mats, wheel locks. MSRP= $39,940. paying=$34,987 ($3000 rebate not included yet).
  • stewdystewdy Member Posts: 17
    There is a dealership a few hundred miles from my house that has a leftover '07 Limited 4X4 with a sticker of about $42,500 and a leftover Limited 4X2 for a hair over $37,000. I'd probably prefer the 4X4 because it has navigation on it. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do as far as a vehicle is concerned, but the 4 Runner is one that I'm thinking about. Toyota lists 0% for 2007 models on their corporate web site. Would $8,000 off of sticker and the 0% financing seem a reasonable offer or should I go for more off and the 0%?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    I dunno an 07 is probably going to be worth about 25 grand IF YOU ARE LUCKY when you toll it out the door.

I'd be hesitant.
  • mlot51mlot51 Member Posts: 8
    Hello everyone,

A local dealer (in CT) has a 2008 Sport 4x4 V6 on lot for $35,017 sticker. It has several options (6 CD, Xtra Value PKG, etc..) and a few dealer add-ons (exhaust tip,wheel locks, etc.) Invoice, according to KBB is $31,118.

Dealer quoted me "internet" price of $31,755. None of the prices include $3000 back, as I will probably be looking to do the 0% for 48mo. So what do you folks think of that price, and if I should counter lower, how much should I go?

Thanks!
  • carmdcarmd Member Posts: 1
    wow u guys got a great deal, I am also looking for a 4 runner with same options but the lowest offer i have got is 26100 including destination charge can you please tell which dealership you bought this vehicle from in chicago.Would really appreciate it
  • FlaGuy4runnerFlaGuy4runner Member Posts: 4
    I am negotiating a 4runner deal in Florida. The truck is a 4x4 Limited V8 with NAV, EVP1, RLAT and carpet mats. The truck is on the way to the port and not at the dealer.

The dealer I am speaking to indicates that we might be able to get a price close to invoice. I plan to do the 0%/60 months so the$4k rebate is, I guess, off the table. That would leave him his holdback as profit.

His invoice, however, includes BOTH the $745 destination fee AND the $750 Toyota Southeast distribution fee He also says that the dealer is stuck with these fees and they can't really be negotiated.

So far, I have found this dealer straightforward and honest. He was straight about being able to delete "options" like the bogus ToyoGuard so long as the cars have not been allocated to the dealer, and other similar things.

Please let me know if both these fees are mandatory to the dealer. If so, I will try to negotiate deeper into his holdback, but that will make closing the deal harder.

I expect this has come up before, but I need some current information and I am new here (this is my first post).

Any info is appreciated!
  • txrunnertxrunner Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an 08 4runner for 5000 off MSRP from Champion Toyota in Austin. (3000 off from the dealer and the 2000 rebate) Really would have thought they could do better this time of year but no dealer in Houston would even get close to that discount. Champion was a pleasure to deal with. They gave me the offer by email and stuck to it once I got up there. First time I have bought a car that I didnt get a headache from hours of haggling.
  • kfrohlichkfrohlich Member Posts: 6
    I live in Houston and I'm in a market for a new 2009 Toyota 4Runner. I've been doing research for this vehicle on edmonds.com for the last couple of months. I want a white, limited, V6, AWD model with a rear spoiler and have no interests in dealer's options. The TMV I got from edmonds.com is $35.294. But the quotes that I got from the local Toyota dealers were all higher than $37,000.
    One of the dealers told me that ALL NEW VEHICLES COME WITH SOME KINDS OF OPTIONS INSTALLED. Does it mean I can not purchase a base vehicle (without any options)? The other dealer told me that the vehicle I'm looking for is very rare.
  • i30rlsi30rls Member Posts: 28
    Do not negotiate the price with dealers via email.
    go to carbuyingtips.com
    read everything on how to buy a car and start from there
    then, in the mid of the week, start going to the dealerships and looking for the car on your own, browse through their stock, if you see what you like start negotiating using the tips from carbuyingtips.com, if you don't see anything, go to another one until you see what you like.
    don't go to the dealerships on the weekends, those days are designed for impulse buyers
    emailing them and asking them the price is not the best way to do car buying.

check the price on one of those online car dealerships also quoted on the carbuyingtips.com

I bought myself the car I wanted using tips from that site, saved a bundle...
    Dealer's usually do not like to do it, but you can order your 4-Runner just the way you want it based on the options available through Toyota. If dealers are hungry they will give you a reasonable deal on a factory order. I ordered my 2004 4-Runner and it took 3 months to get it. You will probably get a better deal on a vehicle off the lot, but it may cost more because of all the things on it that you do not want.
  • jganjgan Member Posts: 2
    I've been watching the sales of used 4-runners. In the last month or so the 'Limited' inventory has been disappearing. For example, tonight I searched CarMax for a 2006 or later Limited, and only found 11, at any price, nationwide. I could be wrong, but buying a 3-year-old toyota with some high-end features and knocking the price down more than $10,000, doesn't it sound attractive?
  • pharm30pharm30 Member Posts: 36
    Hi, just starting to consider a 4runner for practicality (future family) over a G37.
    On the Toyota website it lists an Urban Runner which sounds nice. Are these available at the dealerships or do you have to order?

Would be nice to have a vehicle that is very reliable and will last for years.
  • jganjgan Member Posts: 2
  • chee09chee09 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am also searching for a low price for 4ruuner 4wd sr5 v6, and was told each trim has its regional build, and that a vehicle with standard equipment (without options) should be ordered directly from the manufacturer.
    Yes, I have seen Urban Runner in the DC area and Washington state, so they are available in at least some states on the lot.

I ordered my last 4-Runner and many dealers are reluctant to do so. But, some will, but it will take about 3 months and they will only go so low on price since there is no incentive to get it off the lot.
  • sabre364sabre364 Member Posts: 18
    What would be a fair price on a leftover 08 limited 4x4 v6 4runner with the JBL and x-reas suspension (no navi) MSRP 39537?

Dealer has it listed for ~32k. Is there any way they can do better? It has been sitting on the lot a long time and the 2010s will be out soon, plan on keeping it a long time, no worries about resale but want to get the best for the money...on a side note anyone know where I can find a build date for the 4runner on the vehicle? On my jeep there is a placard on the drivers door frame...
  • psidebuddypsidebuddy Member Posts: 1
    Did you end up getting it? Do you think it still might be available? I am trying to get a V8 4x4 limited.
  • chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    32K sounds like a fantastic pric. That's 8K off the sticker! If you really want the car you better move fast.

I just found a local dealer with two leftover 2008 4Runners. One is a V8 that stickers for 33K. Guess it's pretty stripped. The other is a V6 that stickers for 34K. I have not been able to get any pricing from them over the internet, and you cannot see the window stickers on their website. I am more interested in the more fully optioned V6.

You gotta realize that a current year model would only be discounted a grand or two.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I disagree that $32k is a good price. It is a two-year-old truck that has been rotting on the lot for over a year. I wouldn't give $28k.
  • jbuskejbuske Member Posts: 1
    Wondering what kind of deals are out there now that the 2010 has announced a new design ... I like the 08-09 and wondering if anyone knows what they are going for new. I 've found some 2008's new on the lots. What would be a good price to try to obtain?