Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• drhotlunchdrhotlunch Member Posts: 8
    Jinwang, I'm in a very similar situation and got quoted 32,200 (plus tax, title, etc = 34,400) for pretty much the same options on the SR5 (minus cargo deck). Yet, I see on this forum that people are getting Limited's w/NAV for 38,500 ---TE's for 34,500 ---and prices at or around that....I guess it's all supply and demand, but I've got to get tough. I was driving my current car and got lost this weekend in "Philthadelphia", and told myself that my new car will be loaded and have navigation. Rand McNally and my wife just aren't cutting it (sorry, honey...) After test driving, the 4Runner will be my next car. But if I can get a Limited for just a few K more, I'm all for it.

I've done my internet research, and I'm really looking for a black (or Grey) Limited with Beige Trim (charcoal with the Gray color) and NAV. They tell us that in the northeast, the third row won't be available for awhile. Dealer website lists the MSRP at 42,300 - so what to offer???? I'm thinking 38,750???? I just want a no hassle experience, but if I offer a price like that, should I just stay firm? I can afford to wait a few months, but any help or shared experiences would REALLY be appreciated. Folks, let's share our experience and help each other out, here!!!
  • fastkarfastkar Member Posts: 2
    Toyota Rental rents the 2010 4Runner SR5. This one had Blizzard Pearl, sunroof, 5 speed, electric seats. Texas title registration receipt was in the glove box, said it was purchased for 27,500. Based on the prices here that is some mark up. I think I will wait to buy.
    I offered the dealer 38,500 online for a Limited, 4x4 w/nav online. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow...

I'm wondering if the recall will help or hurt this. After all, what else does Toyota have left to sell right now? The dealership has tom make money. I'm offering a little over invoice, right?

Does anybody have any definitive answers as to whether the 2010 4Runner has the same acceleration/braking system as these other Toyotas that were recalled? I know the 4Runner isn't on the list, but it's a new generation...should we be concerned????
    I offered 38,500 for much the same vehicle today online...we'll see what happens. (Black Limited 4x4 with Nav, list was like 42,200 or so...)

With this recall and suspension, I'm really hoping they're desperate to sell anything. I'm in no hurry anyway...
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    It depends on what state you get the 2010 4Runner from... I got my Magnetic Gray Metallic beauty 2010 4Runner Limited with NAV and floor mats from NC and the invoice is higher in the states of NC, SC, GA, AL and FL. In addition the color does make difference in pricing... So, one should know how to use the Edmunds TMV Price Report tool correctly...
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    Edmunds TMV is a reference point - it's not the end-all, be-all of vehicle pricing.
  • xpoxpo Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, new to this forum. I just purchased a 2010 black limited (RWD), with nav, carpet mats and toyoguard for $37,700. Was just curious what you guys think on whether that was a good price or not. I live in FL, and it took about 2-3 weeks to get the 4runner the way I wanted it, so i didn't press the price too much after other dealerships said they wouldn't go lower than 38,500 and it would take just as long to get it in.
  • fxoffroadfxoffroad Member Posts: 67
    Congrats on your new 4Runner. The invoice price for your vehicle was probably around $36,500. With the Toyoguard looks like you paid 700-1000 over invoice. But under what Edmunds says most are paying.

I guess its all about supply and demand. Yesterday a dealer gave me a price of $500 over invoice on a Limited w/ nav and 4WD. I told him no. :-) I'm going to wait a month and see how Toyota deals with its current issues. Hopefully I'll be able to do better.

Congrats again!
    Edmunds invoice (not including floor mats and toyo guard) is $37,300 ... so $400 more for floor mats and toyo guard you did fantastic and very close to invoice ... congrats in your new purchase... the 2010 4Runner Limited with all the goodies and the 20 inches wheels is a superb vehicle to own for many years (btw, I own the 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV and floor mats).
  • xpoxpo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys :) I would have thought more about 4WD, but that would have taken even longer to get and living in FL and not doing much off-roading didn't make it a high priority for me. It's only been 5 days, but I love my 4runner.
    I'm trying to negotiate a 2010 4WD Black Limited w/NAV, and they almost seemed appauled when I offered 38,500. Said it was well below invoice. They're reluctant to move below 39,975. Supply and demand, or should I just keep pressing? (I'm in the Northeast, need the 4WD, lots of snow...)

Do you guys enjoy the NAV features? I'm also considering an SR5 with premium/leather (can probably get for 33,500 or less) if I can't get the price I want on the Limited. Are the extra features on the Limited worth it? Is the 4WD system 6K-7K better?
    Assuming no other options, besides NAV and you live in one of the NC, SC, GA, AL or FL states, then the invoice for the 2010 Black 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV is $39,153 and makes your deal about $822 above invoice, which is not bad deal knowing the high demand/popularity of the beast :shades:
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    Anyone?

I offered to spend so much over invoice for a TE, and the salesman produced a printout that claimed an invoice price of at least $1000 more than the 33287 no-options value I see on Edmunds.com or cars.com, or any other place. It can't be explained away either by dealer or port added accessories.

The only thing I can think of is they haven't ordered a TE before and maybe double added some of the options that would normally be covered in the price of a TE.
  • rjsdrjsd Member Posts: 5
    The price of the TE is being inflated simply because "it can be done". At least to me it seems TE's are currently being delivered at a rate of about one TE for every three dealers or so. A month ago it was one or two to a region.
    So there is going to be some initial "got to have it first" demand but in this economy how long will that last? How quickly will production/delivery be ramped up? SR5’s are starting to sit for a while & offered at a reasonable discount the TE is following by two to three months.
    Since I am frugal, I will wait four to six months then go make a deal on one that has been sitting on the lot for a while, kind of like those previously in demand hard to find FJ cruisers.......
    I'm inclined to agree. There seems to be no TE's around here (northeast), or they're few and far between, although I did get to drive one, and it is SWEET. I'm debating a nicely equipped leather SR5 vs. Limited. Like you said, I seem to be getting better deals on the SR5, and I'm not sure if the Limited is worth the extra 7K in my situation. I don't plan to "off-road" too much, but I do live in the country, and navigation and full time 4WD would be cool. But since it will be my first 4Runner, if I can score a decent price, I think I may start with an SR5 and work my way up in a few years...if I had the money, I'd love to go Limited, but the SR5 seems to be a very capable vehicle, and the reviews on this forum have been very positive.
    I did some math, it indeed looks like the dealer added the invoice price of the so-called options that are standard on a TE (CP, EC, DJ). They did say they have never ordered one before. I will give them the benefit of the doubt (for now).
    After trying dealership after dealership, I was finally able to nail down a 2010 Limited 4WD w/NAV for under 39K sale price. (tax, title, etc. will bring it back up to around 41-42k though). Salesman was great, smooth transaction, and I'll be driving by the end of the week. I definitely recommend asking every place for their "best internet price" and go from there. I'm pumped to get on the road! Good luck everyone.
  • agjake01agjake01 Member Posts: 6
    Getting quoted $31,743 +ttl on a MSRP of $33,293 for a 4WD SR5 (price includes destination/delivery) in Dallas, TX. The dealer is also offering an additional $1000 off for Toyota loyalty for current Toyota owners. I don't own a Toyota, but if I can get the 4Runner at $30,743 +ttl would that be a good deal. What are most people getting these for? Thanks!!
    I have seen "internet sale" prices or had gotten offers anywhere from $33,200 - #33,500 on SR5's with the premium leather (MSRP around 36,500 or so). ALso got quoted 32,200 on a less equipped SR5, so 31,743 doesn't sound too bad. Especially with the extra $1000 off. If leather seats arent an issue, then getting a 4runner for just over 30k is very tempting. I wonder how much prices are trending down since Toyota's recent troubles, even though the 4Runner isn't on the recall list, and everyone I've talked to insists there are no safety concerns.
  • lmbeanlmbean Member Posts: 5
    I have a quote for $40,377 on a Limited in Houston. Is this fair? It does not have NAV and really need opion if anyone has this and is it worth to get. Appreciate your help.
    According to Edmunds in Houston, TX the invoice for the 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD without NAV (no specific color choice) is $37,018 where the TMV that others are paying is $39,159. I have the 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD with NAV and I will tell you that the NAV is a must have for me, so it does worth the extra dollar to have it...
    Thank you for your help. I do need to NAV. I will keep looking. Sales people via Internet price seem to not be willing to negotiate lower than $40,377. This is Dallas and Houston.
    I was deciding between SR5 and Limited, and wound up with the Limited because of a really good price up here (just under 39K). I gotta say, I didn't think I needed the NAV, but I'm really loving it. The whole stereo system in general is very intuitive and makes it that much more fun to drive. Are you looking to get 4WD in Texas, do you need it? I'm in the Northeast, and we're getting pummeled with snow. So far, so good for the most part in regular 4WD. Once you lock in the 4H, it feels much safer. I never thought I needed heated seats, either, but MAN what a difference...I haven't really gotten the hang of the bluetooth yet, but someone told me I sounded too quiet, which is a complaint that other people seem to be voicing as well. I also think the rear cargo/sliding door is pretty useless, it just takes up some square inches of cargo space, and keeps the cargo area from being completely flat. Happy hunting for your 4Runner, though, hope you find a good deal. It's really fun to drive.
  • jdog6973jdog6973 Member Posts: 3
    I’m looking to get a 2010 Blizzard Pearl Limited with nav and auto start and paint protection I was quoted $38,457 from my local dealer is this a good price? Should I jump on the deal or are there going to be big incentives with all the media hype?
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    I don't think anyone other than toyota knows if they will begin to offer better deals or incentives. I assume the vehicle you are quoting is 4x4. If so, that appears very reasonable. If two wheel drive, it is not.

I saw some incredible gas milage numbers posted. Is anyone else out there really getting 26+ miles per gallon
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    drove 250+ highway miles, ~ 70 MPH up and down over 3 mountain passes - per the computer got 18 MPG...
    Do to my work, I need 4WD. Appreciate your help. I am going with the NAV.
    I cannot wait to get into a 4Runner. Dealing with dealers right now.
    The truecar.com website is saying there is $1000 incentive for the 2010 4Runner on at least the 4WD SR5 and TE, until March 1, 2010. Have not found it anywhere else, but I haven't tried really hard either. The edmunds.com now says $400, could have sworn it said nothing an hour ago before I was interrupted by work. :) Anyone?
  • jolietjayjolietjay Member Posts: 3
    2010 SR5 4WD Blizzard Pearl including Premium Package with Leather Seats, Convenience Package, JBL Stereo with BlueTooth, Sliding Rear Cargo Deck, Carpeted Floor Mats.

MSRP 36,125 + 220 for the floor mats

Continental Toyota (Hodgkins, IL) out the door for 33,000. (563 above dealer invoice).

Added a 7 Year, 100,000 Mile Extended Warranty for $1,000 good at any Toyota Dealer Nationwide.

We negotiated price via email, through price quotes requested on Cars.com and Toyota.com. This was the only dealer that honored the agreed upon price, and they found our vehicle (color, exact options) in 3 days.

Other dealerships in the area were holding tight to MSRP, some asking for $1,000 over MSRP. It pays to shop around.

We even got KBB Value for our Trade.
  • raknightraknight Member Posts: 1
    The dealer holdback is about $686 and the rebate for my area in KY is $1,000. (Sr-5, 4x4). If the dealer sold it at their invoice (not MSRP) and keeps the rebate. The profit would be $1,686. No trade, no financing, I write a check. Is there a dealer out there willing to take that? I would be willing to buy from them. I am in KY.
  • pfessorpfessor Member Posts: 7
    According to an article in Bloomburgs.com incentives are being discussed.
    The article stated: "Ideas being considered include warranties of as long as 10 years and rebates of thousands of dollars per vehicle that would start in March, said three executives from retailer groups with Toyota franchises. They declined to be identified because the discussions are private."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aM5z4iMAT.oY
  • pfessorpfessor Member Posts: 7
    According to Reuters News on Sunday 2-14-10:

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) – Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) is considering increased incentives and an extended warranty program to combat consumer concerns about a deepening product safety crisis, a source briefed on still-developing plans said on Sunday.

Toyota, reeling from its largest recall in history, is discussing a range of options with its U.S. dealers to support sales, including $1,000 in addition to the current $1,000 in cash incentives to returning Toyota customers, the source told Reuters.

Toyota's current $1,000 in "loyalty" bonus matches incentives offered by General Motors Co (GM.UL), Ford Motor Co (F.N), Chrysler and Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS) to lure Toyota customers.

Other options Toyota is considering include a free maintenance program -- such as oil changes and regular mile services -- and a new warranty program that at least matches Hyundai's market-leading 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, the source said.

Complete article is here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100214/bs_nm/us_toyota_incentive_1
  • alboldingeralboldinger Member Posts: 2
    Can someone post a difference between Limited and SR5 with Premium and Convenience packages. All I can find is lack of Nav and 17" wheels vs 20" wheels.
    Is there anything else? Price difference is about $4,000.00.

Thanks.
    Oh yes, and as long as you compare 4WD, you are missing the big one full time 4WD (offered only in Limited edition) vs part time 4WD (SR5 and Trail edition) ... in addition you get the Safety Connect (SOS) 1 year free subscription, X-REAS (Diagonal-Linked Relative Absorber Sport Enhanced System) and I am sure there are features that Limited edition has the other editions do not have...
  • agjake01agjake01 Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased a Blizzard Pearl 4WD SR5 with an MSRP of $34,795.00 for $32,201.00 with an APR of 3.9% from Eddy's Toyota, Wichita, KS.

Did all the nego online and will be shipping the vehicle to TX via car carrier for $425
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    A couple of years back I bought a new Toyotal Avalon xls, and ever since then my wife has been so impressed with the quality of the car that she decided she wanted a toyota as well, only she wanted an suv. So after a couple of weekends of looking around, we brought home her new 2010 SR5 tonight. Don't know how "good" of a deal I got, but here's how it breaks down:

Sticker price was 34,329.00 In addition to the standard stuff the vehicle has premium audio system, multi info display, full leather with 8 way power seat ( heated) on the drivers side, 4 way power on the passenger side, turn signals indicators on the mirrors, all around windo tint, aluminum running boards, homelink, rear clearance sonar, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, premium carpet set, wheel locks, cargo net, stainless steel exhaust tip, plus a few other "minor" add on's., including 2 free oil changes ( synthetic ) and 2 free tire rotations And since she's planning on keeping this vehicle well past the pay off date, she also took out the Toyota extended warranty for 1695. It's the platinum pkg for 7 years 100 thousand miles, 0 deductible. So factor in the sticker price of the car @ $34,329.00, the extended warranty @ 1695.00 and other misc. fee's they throw in, plus tax title and license, minus our trade in of 13K, we ended up financing right at 23,500 for 60 months at 3.85% fixed. Would have liked to get 2.9% but after haggling for a few minutes, I settled for 3.85%. Like I said, don't know how good a deal that actually is compared to others, but I can tell you I love the 4 runner, and it feels like it has alot more room and extra bells and whistles than our trade in had ( 06 Gmc Envoy ). If it's as good a vehicle as my avalon has been I'm sure my wife's going to love this vehicle.

Roland
  • alboldingeralboldinger Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much!!! Those options are not important to me, so I would probably go with SR5.
  • bjrhodes01bjrhodes01 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I recently paid $32,332 for a new 2010 4-Runner SR5. This was at a final price of $500 under invoice and a total savings of $3651.

It was equipped with moonroof, 120V outlets, AM/FM/MP3/USB/Bluetooth/iPod 8 speaker system, sliding cargo deck, power front seats, backup camera, remote engine starter, carpet floor mats, and cargo cross bars.

If you would be happy with this deal, please read my advice:

- Plan to purchase toward the end of the month (dealers work hard to meet quotas at this time).

- Go to your closest dealer and test one out. Decide exactly what model, color, and features you want. Then sit down and listen to their best offer.

- Go home and use the "Contact Us" link to email 20+ dealers within 500+ miles of your location. First focus on large cities that you can fly to one-way for cheap (Southwest or Airtran cities). Tell them EXACTLY what you want and that you want to see the full vehicle description, MSRP, invoice cost, FINAL selling price, and ALL associated fees in their reply email.

- Be aware of all existing dealer rebates and other Toyota offers for your vehicle. (For example, Toyota just announced 2/25/10 a $500 dealer cash back on new 2010 4-Runners.)

- Even if you plan to purchase it outright with cash, tell them that you will likely finance some of it.

- Communicate via email or phone from the comforts of your couch/desk for a few days to obtain the best possible offer you can.

- If your best offer isn't close to home, use this offer to attempt to re-negotiate with the closer dealers.

- Purchase the car from the dealer that gives you the best price. They will also likely be the dealer that is the most professional, efficient, and enjoyable.

- Enjoy the heck out of it, use it off-road, and know that you got the best possible price on an awesome vehicle.
  • rjsdrjsd Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2010
    Hi

I have had some buying experiences over the last month and a half so I wrote the novel below describing them.

To date this year I have bought, paid in full then returned one 4runner, after discovering the holes put into the front bumper to mount a dealer advertisement plate.
    I was then able to settle on price a couple of more times, but ultimately discovering damage/holes in the painted surface of the front bumper that killed those deals prior to closing.

My buying experience has been as follows:
    All deals were for a Grey SR5 4x4 third row option no leather with MSRPs of 35.4K to just under 36K
    1. Closed one deal at 900 over invoice this one actually made it into the garage and then was returned. This was just over a month ago.
    2. Worked with a dealer in San Diego & agreed to a price of 700 over invoice this was my initial offer and was accepted the morning after it was made this offer was made yesterday. It was agreed to by the dealer without trying to negotiate for a higher price this leads me to believe the offer may have been too high. I had been communicating over the internet to this point so it is at this point I asked them to confirm the condition of the vehicle before coming down, how many miles on the odometer? And are there holes in the painted surface of the front bumper to mount a dealer plate? There were holes in the bumper & that is a deal breaker for me. I asked about the mileage because the 4runner I bought and returned above was then sold “as a new vehicle” with the 200+ miles I put on it & I am not looking to buy a demo or a return unless the cost is several thousand less than invoice.
    3. Worked with a dealer in Southern LA & agreed to the same price of 700 over invoice this was my initial offer and was accepted within minutes after it was made this offer was also made yesterday. It was again agreed to by the dealer without trying to negotiate for a higher price this again leads me to believe the offer may have been too high.

I also made a couple of offers on the Trail model.
    The Trail deals fell apart after the dealer excepted an offer of a thousand over invoice but when the final numbers were worked they had added costs that where not listed on the Toyota Factory Invoice killing the deal. I found this to be less than honest the dealers where Carlsbad Toyota in San Diego and Desert Toyota in Vegas.

So there are several data points on pricing over time for you to put in your pipe and smoke.

I am trying my best to wait so the deals above not working out for me so far are not breaking my heart for the following reasons:
    1. I expect the warranty on all Toyotas to be changed to 8-10 years as soon as the congressional investigation/grilling is complete. I also suspect there may be cash incentives offered at the same time.
    2. I don’t see the economy getting better in the short term so I see the price of the 4runner dropping as time passes. I am surprised that they are going for so close to invoice at this soon.
    3. They will be past the low rate initial production phase so there will be more 4runners on lots to choose from.
    4. I have no immediate need to buy. I am buying this 4runner for my wife not myself & she is still perfectly happy with her 99 4runner with 115K on it. I’ve talked her into the new one because of the airbags in the rear seat for our four year old. The 99 4runner we both love & is going no where, we expect our four year old will be driving it when she gets her license. I only hope the 5th gen’s are built as well.
    5. Even with Toyota it is generally best to avoid the first year or two after a major change.
    6. I am a man and a man’s vehicle has a V8 in it!
    Just kidding about number six if you can’t take a joke get off the internet!

Good Luck with that!
  • pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Sticker $42k and change..... paid $39.5K and change and an extra $900 for a 6 year or 100K miles extended warranty
  • alex412alex412 Member Posts: 3
    I'm currently trying to sell my 05 4Runner and hope to purchase a Limited very soon. I have read about the 1,000 incentive for being a continuing Toyota customer. Does the 4Runner qualify for this and does this incentive expire soon? I haven't been able to find anything about it on Edmunds. Do you think they will make the 100,000 mile warranty retroactive if I buy soon? I'm really holding out to see what Toyota does with incentives and warranty. As of now there are no incentives in my area!!
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    ...seem to be fling off the shelves, so to speak. I've been trying to find an SR5 to test drive, but they aren't staying on the lots for more than a day or two. There are a few limiteds available, but they are also moving fast, just not as fast as the SR5s. The dealer I am working with has 10-12 coming in this month, and 1/2 are pre-sold. To special order one he said the wait is 120 days. I'm actually just waiting to test drive the SR5 to see if I want it or the limited.

I'm not seeing any incentives for the area, to include any loyalty rebate.
  • alex412alex412 Member Posts: 3
    I live in South Jersey and was planning to drive down to the dealers in your area to get the best deal. Seems like Darcars and Carmax both have a few in stock, at least according to their website. Just read March incentives will include 0% financing on some models as well as a complimentary two-year "Toyota Auto Care Premium Package" that includes oil changes and other maintenance services, in addition to cash rebates. Good luck in your search!
    My previous post complained about a difference in the invoice of a Trail Edition for Chicagoland between what websites said and what the dealer said.

On the truecars.com website, there is now a regional add fee of $630, it was not there a week ago. According to that website, the invoice price of a stripped TE in Chicago is now $33917, and with floor mats, and it rises to 34043. The dealer said it would be around 34140. Close enough.

The $1000 difference in my previous post was wrong also, I think I forgot to include the invoice price of the floor mats, but I'm not going to try to figure it out, pointless.
    edited March 2010
    I can't find any incentives for my area, but I'm actually looking in Northern Virginia (suburbs of DC), and the new car Carmax dealer I think is on the opposite side of DC from me, in Maryland. I think the 0% is for almost any Toyota but the 4Runner. But BoA has pretty good rates right now.

Tried the SR5 finally. One dealer had a black one, and there was actually a line to test drive it (3 sets of couples). But the salesman I am working with did get the SR5 in and it was nice. We will more than likely go that route as the Limited is $7K more (have to get the nav or special order in this area) and has a few items I don't want like the nav and the sliding rear deck. However none of the SR5's in this area have the CP as it lists on Edmunds; they have a similiar set up that doesn't include the plug in the cargo area. Can't see where I would use it, but I did like the idea of having it...

Now the problem is selling our other car. Anyone want to buy a Saturn Sky in very good condition? :)
  • tay528tay528 Member Posts: 16
    Just signed a deal yesterday on a SR5. Blizzard Pearl, Bisque interior, leather, upgraded stereo, power outlets, carpet mats, cross bars (I was adament about not wanting a moonroof so finding this one is a gem to me!)

MSRP is a little over $35,300. Got it for $140 under invoice after showing the dealer my AAA Auto Buying Program certificate. They weren't one of the "official" dealers but they agreed to match or beat the price I could get down the road (at invoice).

This was after a solid 4 weeks of shopping around- this is the first dealer who could promise me an actual vehicle and send me out the door with a VIN number.

The truck will be in next week. Very excited!
    That sounds like a geat deal! How much did your AAA membership cost to take advantage of that program, and is the cost set within the program, or on a dealer by dealer basis? Did you end up getting any incentives from Toyota incuded? The dealers in my area can't keep the 4runners on the lots, and their dealerships are always amazingly busy despite the engative press, so I was thinking $500 over invoice was a good deal here. But you did quite a bit better than that!
  • tay528tay528 Member Posts: 16
    My yearly AAA membership costs $35 (I'm in the South region, if that makes a difference) and there's no additional fee for the program. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure the mechanics of it- I can tell you my experience and see what you can get from that:

You "build" the car that you want on the AAA site, just like you would at buyatoyota.com. You submit all of your contact information and almost instantly you are given a Price Protection Certificate. This Certificate lists 3-5 dealers with whom AAA has an established relationship. For each of these dealers it shows X dollar amount over invoice that the dealer will sell you the car at. On mine, for example, I had three dealers- one was $900 over invoice, one was $500 over invoice and one was $0 or at invoice. We chose to go to the $500 over invoice dealer since they were the closest to my hometown (rural area so any dealer is a drive- if you live in a big city you likely wouldn't have this issue). I showed the sales guy my certificate, they searched for a vehicle equipped like I wanted and said they'd sell it at $500 over invoice, no questions asked. We haggled a little on my trade in value and got a reasonable deal (far better than the other offers I'd been seeing). I asked for 48 hours to think about it and get my financing in order.

On the drive home, I called a sales guy I'd been working with several weeks ago at another dealership who could never offer anything less than $1,000 over invoice. I told him the situation, explained how we had just a day or two before stumbled onto the AAA program and asked if he could match or beat the price I'd been quoted. I told him I had a certificate that said I could buy one not 20 minutes from his dealership at invoice (which would be my next stop if he couldn't work out a deal for me). He asked me to email him my AAA certificate. He said he had seen the AAA discount before even though his dealership wasn't an official dealer. The next day he called me back with the quote under invoice and reasonable money for my trade. I had my deal. I ran a deposit up to him that day. I'm not sure his sales managers were pleased but they didn't want to be undersold by a rival dealer.

I'm sure you've seen there are no 4Runner incentives for March so I missed out and I might hit myself over the head if they offer $1,000 or 0.0% APR in March. But I also used AAA to get a low interest rate so I think in the long run I've found myself in a pretty good deal.

The one warning I will give with the AAA program is that they will feed you a line that the AAA discount is supposed to be on "in stock" vehicles. But at the $500 above invoice dealer, their AAA rep told me they were more or less forced to honor is since "in stock" is so scarce with the 4Runner.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I, too, was convinced $500 over invoice was a good deal until I found AAA's program.

Sorry for the novel I've just written!
    Thanks for the reply - and I'm sure the novel will help several people.

I haven't had dealers compete yet now that I have a price. I'm not sure I am going to. There is a dealer 10 minutes from my house, but a much smaller one than the dealer I usually use (i just moved), but I love the service department at the further dealer I am working with. I get a discount on practically everything but oil changes without a coupon, just by asking (but have to ask). Plus they mail oil change coupons often enough that I save them and usually get $5 - $10 off the oil changes as well.
  • fourrfourr Member Posts: 1
    Just paid $400 UNDER invoice for a brand new SR5 in New Jersey. Here is how I got the deal: went to cars.overstock.com, searched for a New 4Runner at zip code 07852. Clicked on Locate Dealer. The first dealer that comes up is Towne Toyota in Ledgewood NJ. Filled out the form and got an emailed certificate for a $400 under invoice deal on any 4Runner in stock. Called up the dealer and they honored the price no questions asked. Total time spent about 10 min on the phone and 1 hour in the dealership picking up the car. They will not ship or swap cars for this price so you have to pick from what's on the lot. Still at this price I really can't complain. Anybody got a better deal?