Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stoesstoes Member Posts: 9
    2003 SR5 V6 4x4
    Gold
    Appearance Pkg
    Moonroof
    17" Alloy Wheels
    Rear Spolier
    Front Bug Shield
    RS3200 Plus Alarm
    Mats and Cargo Net
    Roof Rack
    Some other little things that I can't remember.
    MSRP 32,000
    Paid 27,700 plus tax
  • jackj42jackj42 Member Posts: 6
    LTD 4X4 V8 loaded incl. Nav. MSRP $42.8K Paid $38.3, or invoice. Cash deal

Love it so far.

Jack
  • jorgjorgjorgjorg Member Posts: 8
    Well after being unable to find a Sport V6 anywhere in the Colorado 7 state area I was resigned to waiting for an 04 build order. However on a recent business trip to California I inquired through CarsDirect, found, purchased and drove home a new 4runner. I would recommend Carsdirect.

2003 Sport V6 4x4
    Titanium Metallic
    All std options for Sport plus....
    Moonroof
    Spoiler
    FloorMats
    (I believe the running boards are now included in std sport appearance package as they didn't show up on the window sticker as options.)
    >>>>>>>
    $28,344 out the door
    <<<<<<<
    ($30,810 after tax and doc fees.)
  • dmcypresstxdmcypresstx Member Posts: 6
    Stoes -
    What dealership did you execute your SR5 purchase.
    You described what I've been looking for at the right price.
    Thanks in advance.
    This was from Preston Motors in New Castle, PA
  • renshorensho Member Posts: 42
    Got it from Toyota Sunnyvale in CA.
    The guys were fantastic. They have an amazing offer right now of $4800 off MSRP on ALL 4wd 03 runners. They are flying off the lot. They sold 3 while I was buying mine. No one else would match their offer. No other silly fees either.
    Highly recommended.
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Is it realistic to buy an '03 4Runner LTD for invoice in Metro NY area? Does anyone have any first hand buying experience (good or bad) for
    area dealers?
    TIA
    metmdx
  • 4runnerrunner4runnerrunner Member Posts: 7
    2003, Sport Edition, Sunroof, spoiler, JBL, Double Decker Storage, 17" wheels,V6; MSRP was 33,094.00. Purchased for 29000.00. Had to haggle the bejesus out of the sales guy but happy with the deal. This is the 4th Toyota that i have owned (the 1st 3 were pickups). This is my first 4Runner. I have wanted one for years. I love this vehicle, and am very satisfied with the deal. Dealer was McGeorge Toyota in Richmond VA. This is the second Toyota that i have purchase from this dealer and I highly reccomend them.
    Thanks to Edmunds.com for all of their info. I could not have done it without them.
  • kfp1kfp1 Member Posts: 2
    2004 4Runner V6 Sport, 2WD, galactic gray (still in transit) every sport option except for JBL, got for $30,000 total out the door (includes 4.16% HI tax)
  • coppermine2001coppermine2001 Member Posts: 8
    kft1:

How did you pre-order the 2004 models? I can't seem to find a dealer who is willing to even give me a quote on the 2004 models in southern California.
  • kfp1kfp1 Member Posts: 2
    they probably can, but the manager probably told their sales to get rid of the 03 models first. because my dealer was kinda pushing me to get the 03 model, and even offered me the same truck, only in V8 and 2003 for a little less than what i paid for. but i was set on getting an 04, and they are supposed to arrive in mid Sept. they don't even have the VIN and the MSRP yet, but they let me buy it based on the 2003 prices. i guess since i just bought an 03 double cab last month, they treated me well.
  • meemo87meemo87 Member Posts: 17
    Got a 2003 4Runner Limited with msrp of $39989 for $35689. Black, X-REAS and all the other goodies. Got this price over the phone. Very impressed with this buying experience.
  • gretschgretsch Member Posts: 7
    I am in the market for a Toyota for the 1st time. I have decided I want the 4runner, but I will kick myself if I buy it now and incentives come out soon after. Of course the dealer says there won't be any EVER for the 03...even though I asked why buy 03 when 04 is just about out....he basically said "because Toyota's are so great." Do any of you, more familiar with Toyota, have your opinions/guesses as to whether incentives will be offered for 03's in the near future? Thanks!
    FYI-I am not interested in the non-AP package, I know there is a rebate on those.
  • doshiaadoshiaa Member Posts: 3
    If he tells you he's not dealing on '03 he's got no clue what's going on. I just got a v8 Limited fully loaded with X-reas, premium audio, basicall everything except navigation for 35,200 (MSRP 41,200), and great financing; they're dealing!
  • 4runnerguy4runnerguy Member Posts: 3
    Recently purchased:

2003 Toyota 4Runner
    SR5
    V8
    4WD
    Appearance Package
    Roof Rack
    Carpeted Floor Mats

MSRP: $31,194
    Dealer Invoice: $28,400
    Paid : $28,000

Purchased at Miller Toyota in Culver City. Used the Internet Sales Department, and had an excellent stress-free, no haggling, buying experience. Highly recommend using Internet Sales to purchase a vehicle, and these guys at Miller were great in every way.
    Very satisfied with my new Pacific Blue 4Runner.
  • davit_62davit_62 Member Posts: 10
    Price did not included title, tax, and license. Final check payment is $28.3K.

Extra options include 17 inch alloy, double deck cargo, running board, leather steering wheel.

It's a white color with cladding.

Everything meets exactly what I want.

7 years ago, I would never get a SUV like this for under $30K.

Cheers.
    Every Toyota ads today show the package is free on 4Runner. What are they?
    I guess I'm feeling like the 4runner is one of the only 03's not giving "incentives" with the 04's coming and all. Several dealers are willing to give me a pretty good price close to invoice, but I guess I'm being greedy and wanting a better incentive to buy the 03 instead of the 04. IMO, being able to buy an auto the edmunds way (pay close to invoice) is standard and not an extra incentive...like I should be able to do the same with an 04 relative to the price of the vehicle. Anyway, sorry for rattling on....just wondering if anyone thinks there will be cash back or 0% coming up on 03's. Again, it would be a bummer to buy the car now and then have them do that in a month or so when 04's come out or have been out awhile.
  • krockygkrockyg Member Posts: 1
    got a 03 limitd loaded with x-reas and navi for $39674.00 which included tax title and plate.
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Gretsch,
    The Houston dealer told me 4Runners have a $2500 incentive/rebate that will drop to $1500 after September 2nd.
    So I don't know if your information is current.
    It seems to me, if you want new, now is the time to buy an 03 since the incentives are at the peak.

For me, I am trying to buy a 4Runner between $15k and $20k but see that the 1 and 2 year old mkt keeps prices high to make me consider the new vehicle.

I guess my question is: what do you all think about the best price point and model year for buying a used 4Runner if I don't have the bucks to buy new?

Thanks.
    I think maybe incentives differ by regions. There is an incentive on the non-AP package and maybe the sport model here in L.A. but not one single dealer will budge on anything else. Bummer, I would buy today if there was.
  • pegasus50pegasus50 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to purchase an 03 4Runner SR5 Sport basic version, and live in Biloxi MS. My range of exploring dealerships is about 200 miles. Anyone have any good experiences along the Gulf Coast, and prices being paid OTD
    When I bought mine 10 days ago, I have to fill out and sign a incentive rebate paper so the dealership could get the money. It's a $1250 directly from Toyota, and it expires Sep 2. The dealership discounted another $1100, so the total incentive is about $2350 below the invoice. The sticker price is 30.3K, I paid $25.5K.

I started my shopping in June, and all I was seeing is that the rebate is getting bigger and bigger ever since. You have to count how many 4Runner on the lot left. If there are still plenty of 4Runner on the lot, the rebate is still coming. If you don't care about color and options, then you should be able to get a better deal in September or October. The new 2004 4Runner is coming out soon. It will have 3 row seating, and air pressure monitor. Everything else will be the same. I am sure they will not come with any discount until next summer. If you don't care for 3 row seats, don't wait.

You can find a 2002 model with 30-40K miles for around $20K. However, in my case, for $8K more, I got a V8, brand new, more space, and drive a hell lot better. Oh, minus one thing, the mileage of the V8 is averaged at16 mpg.
    Thanks, Davit for the info. Sounds like you got a very good deal. Where?

I will be combing the big state of Texas for purchase of a 4Runner.

Anybody know the best city for buying vehicles in Texas?

Anybody know the vehicle market in Texas?

Since I am returning to Mexico with the vehicle, are there any tricks to avoid the Texas sales tax?

All discussion welcome.
    FYI, it's in Phoenix AZ.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    What was the original sticker price? It sounds like you did very well!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a FAQ on sales tax on stuff sold in TX that's exported to another country. It sounds similar to getting your GST back if you buy a car in Canada and take it to the States.

This assumes that an automobile is merchandise - I didn't see anything in the car registration info for TX.

I guess different counties charge different local taxes in TX too, so that my come into play.

Steve, Host
  • elcid535elcid535 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! everyone. logging in from brooklyn ny. I recently purchased v8 sport 4x4 with cladding. msrp 34975 out the door price was 31300 incd txs and fees. x-reas, alarm system, 6-disc changer,spoiler, mats, running lights, running boards, doubl decker cargo and moon roof. good buying experience. Thanks to salesmen at plaza toyota in brooklyn.
    Camelback Toyota responded saying "9 state area" had few 4x4s left.

Don't know if this was sales hype or not, or what the states are in the 9 state area.

Seems like the 4Runner promotion has been a success, and Sept 2nd, today, is the last day.

Tomorrow we move on.

Other readers/posters let's keep in touch on inventories/prices across TX, NM, AZ for the next month.

What say?
    I am in southern CA and the 4runner incentives were only on non-AP packages. Was this different anywhere else in the country? I would have bought a 4runner this weekend if they had the same incentive on the AP package.
    Drove by. Saw it tonight. Sep 2. Don't know if they just arrived today or not, but got to be between 50-60 suv on the lot.

Does not look like a tight supply here. Demand won't be too great until gas price dip below $1.80.

Just my $.02.
    Thanks.
    read the rule. Sorry buddy.
    Hi,
    Have researched the 1996-2002 generation of 4Runners, and unless someone gives me $10k, I probably will buy used and not the 2003.

Are there good discussions about what are the best years for used 4Runners?

Or can we start one here?
  • lorene1598lorene1598 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase an '03 4 runner SR5, 4X4, V8. Does anyone have any recent experiences with any dealership in Oklahoma. I am also interested in doing most negotiating over the phone. Any suggestions.
  • klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    Firstly, you would not need an extra $10K for a 2003 because the resale value on used 4Runners are the highest in the industry. 2002s are selling for $24-26K. A new 2003 Sport costs $30K.

Second, 2003s are much better than previous models because of several important changes. Engine size - now have a 245 hp 4.0L V6 and a 235 4.7L V8. Downhill Assist Control - only found on Range Rovers and X5. Hill start assist, traction control and Vehicle Stability Control. More room - length and width. X-REAS, developed by Yamaha and standard on Sport Ed., - makes the vehicle handle better than any other truck-based SUV. Do I need to continue?
    I agree with your line of reasoning, and I have researched the new 03 4Runner exhaustively.

However, money is money, and if $20k is what is allocated for a vehicle then that is the stake in the ground, and from there I must move to find the best "used" option.

I hope to find a 2001 for $20k.

Can I assume that no appreciable differences exist year to year for used 4 Runners from 99 to 02?

If so, I should buy the lowest mileage, best maintained, least abused for the lowest price.

Is this a fair statement?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's ok to name dealers and the city/state they are in. We ask that names or contact info of individuals not be posted; keeps the shill content down. Thanks,

Steve, Host
    So why buy used?

But if you do, it's your money your choice. Thanks for keeping high resale value for 4Runner.
    I don't know whether this dealer or Camelback is the largest Toyota dealership in AZ. But Tempe Toyota has expanded rapidly.
    this is shown on paper today ..but not on units with appearance pkg. What does this mean? deal, deal, deal.

So good luck and remember don't wait for the old car to break down to visit the dealer.

So long.
  • theman1971theman1971 Member Posts: 4
    Last nite, I bought an '04 LTD V8 Black, Nav, Sunroof, X-REAS, Side-airbags, rear spoiler, DRL, Preferred package (mats, etc). MSRP is $42,656. Paid $38,056 + TDA ($325) + tax/title.

I'm in Chicagoland area. The dealership is Schaumburg Toyota. This '04 was their only '04 4Runner on the lot and it arrived there last Thu.

Upside is that I think I got a good deal on an '04! Downside is that the wife is driving it, and not me. :(:)

Thong
  • nick4597nick4597 Member Posts: 50
    August 25th I purchased one of the last 03 4Runner's they had on the lot. Titanium Silver SR5 V6 4WD (w/ body colored molding), 17" wheels/tires, moonroof, spolier. Sticker was 31,600... got it for 27,700. Of course, I paid a bit more since I was upside down on the 02 Altima I had for just over a year. That thing depreciated like crazy! Oh well, it's only $$.
  • ohelloohello Member Posts: 27
    [I posted this on the 4Runner board a few days ago, but it seems more useful here]
    I was at a no-haggle dealer in the DC area this weekend and was told that they are currently getting $1400 dealer cash for 03 4Runners with cladding and $700 for 03 4Runners without the cladding. They subtract this from the no-haggle price. They had an SR5 with cladding sitting in the showroom that was built in 10/02. Yikes - already a year old when you buy it....
  • marc63marc63 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all

This is my first time posting. I spoke with a dealer last night in southern NJ - he has an '03 4Runner Sport V6 with the usual options - running boards, spoiler, moonroof and appearance package. With a $750 rebate he quoted me $29,523. He's going to look for a Sport with cladding (if so it's $1500 off). Do you think this is a good price or can I find better?

Thanks.
  • slitorslitor Member Posts: 29
    Did you get the third row seat option, and if so how was your cargo space reduce? I curious to see how Toyota managed that third row seat back there.
    Last night I bought an 03 SR5 V6, with no extras..it has the appearance package, not the black cladding. Price before taxes, license, etc. $24,998 (1.9% financing). I tried and tried to get it even lower with all the dealers in my area, but some wouldn't even budge below $25,800 for the same basic trim. I wanted to wait in hopes that an incentive would eventually come out, but the silvers in my area were going quick (I could hardly find a silver/basic trim in my area, as opposed to a week and a half ago). I wanted silver bad enough that I'll be satisfied if an incentive does come out. Hope I LOVE it!
    Was that 4WD?
    pretty basic, huh?