Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Hi:

Does the Edmund's invoice numbers include TDA? Or does one add TDA to it to compare with the actual dealer invoice. I am negotiating an 04 build order for $100 over invoice but the dealer's invoice is higher than Edmunds by roughly the TDA figure. I seached through the message threads but most don't clarify if TDA is included. Also, any comments on if this is reasonble for an 04 would be appreciated. I am looking for a Titanium Sport V8 4x4 in the pacific northwest and can not find one, so pursing an order (if you know of one, let me know). Thanks in advance.
  • om73mlnom73mln Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a horse and needed to trade my 2003 VW Passat GLX for a Toyota 4Runner. After doing my research on Edmunds, I visited two dealerships. The difference was incredible. At Toyota of Dallas they had a 2004 SR5 model with leather, moonroof, etc. MSRP 31,237. They offered to trade for my 2003 Passat plus $8,000 difference. At Toyota of Plano they showed me a closeout model 2003 SR5 with leather but no moonroof. MSRP 29,827. They wanted my trade-in plus $14,500 difference for the older model with fewer options. To make matters worse, when I said no thanks and asked for the keys to my car to leave, they refused to give them back to me, and were highly offended that I didn't want to negotiate with them any further. Talk about high pressure. Frankly, it was the worst experience with a dealership that I have had in my 30 years of trading cars. Needless to say, I prefer Toyota of Dallas.
  • theman1971theman1971 Member Posts: 4
    No. No 3rd row seat for me. I wanted the NAV, X-Reas, and Sunroof. Having 3rd row would means none of those things.

Edmunds price does not have TDA included. I haven't seen a site that includes TDA in the invoice price. $100 over inv + TDA is pretty good I think for an 04.

Thong
  • efontaineefontaine Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone out there know of any good dealers for the 04 4Runner in MA? Live in Western MA but heard that the dealers out near Boston are offering better prices. Any truth to this? Looking for a black V6 SR5, 4X4 with 3rd row seating.
  • coppermine2001coppermine2001 Member Posts: 8
    Bought a 2004 V6 2WD Limited Edition 4Runner w/FE, EJ, SR, GY, RF, RL, CF. MSRP $36,654. Bought it for $32,908, which was $100 over the dealer's invoice price.
  • aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Hello,

I am going to buy an 04 4Runner Sport 4WD V8 this xmas, and I was wondering how low do you think I can get the price? Just a few questions. I live in Omaha Nebraska, but I have family in Mississippi, so I will buy in either of those areas. I am also going to buy on the 31 of November, December, or January b/c I'm told thats the end of the month and dealers are anxious to make there quota.

1. Is it possible to get into any of the holdback for this vehicle. Its like $600 below invoice.

2. Whats the biggest rebate do you guys think will be available around this Xmas. I saw in Mississippi that there was at one point a $2500 rebate
  • cheelycheely Member Posts: 2
    Dealer here has quite a few 2003 4WDs in various trim levels that they claim come with $750 rebate. Toyota website lists no rebate. Edmunds shows a $400 cash to dealer. Has anyone purchased lately in this area (upstate)? Does anyone know current rebate picture? Their ad price is a few hundred over invoice including the $750 rebate, which seems high. I'd like to have the real story when I walk in for the game. If rebates are higher elsewhere I have no problem driving 5-6 hours.
  • barbed_warbarbed_war Member Posts: 5
    Advise Wanted:
    Just returned from a local Dealer in Houston. I have requested to order a 2004 Limited 4x4 and offered $500 over invoice. The reason for the order to to avoid GST added items that are of no value to me. Print out from the dealer showed the following prices:
    Base Price $31,904.00
    Jbl 6 disc changer $544.00
    Side Curtain Airbags $559.00
    Carpet Mat Set $112.00
    Freight $510.00
    Deliv/Proc/Hand $575.00
    TDA (advertising I think) $265.00
    The total for above is $34,469.00 which I believe is close to invoice. In addition to this the following were added.

Base-Veh-HB $739.00
    PIO-HB $11.00
    Finance Reserve $369.00

If believe the first two items are Hold back they are charging me and the last, even the salesman did not know what was.

This comes to $35,588 plus $50 doc fee, $50 Texas vehicle Inventory tax, 6.25% sales tax, and $135 for title and tags. My question relates to the last three items. Why should I pay hold back and what is finance reserve. Also is it customary to pay the deliv/doc/hand fee of $575.00.
    Thanks in advance.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Incentives by geography: I looked around a bunch at this while shopping, and have followed it since buying. My conclusion is that it varies by region and it's tough to get a larger-scale sense of it. For the 4Runner, for example, there were times when some regions got no rebates while others got rebates (of varying amounts) on the units without the appearance package, and still others got rebates on units with the appearance package. I have a subscription to a service provided by checkbook.org which only gave incomplete, non-region-specific data. I tried using another online buying service (don't think I can mention them by name here) and was able to ferret out the information roughly by inputting various configurations and zip codes. Other than watching local and out-of-area papers and contacting dealers, that was the best I could do.

barbed_war, it sure looks to me like they're trying a snow job on you. You probably know what holdback is, and you should consider financial reserve to be essentially the same thing. You shouldn't be paying either one, as they are actually money the dealer is going to get back from the factory. Also, I can't see why they should charge you freight+deliv/proc/hand+TDA. TDA is indeed advertising (Toyota Dealers Assoc.) and is a legit. charge. There is also a legit. destination fee that's listed here at Edmunds.com. Maybe Gulf States Toyota has more leverage there than dealers have here, but I'd resist these charges.

I consider legit. dealer invoice to be factory invoice (vehicle+opts.) plus destination charge plus TDA. Then subtract any factory rebates. I'd try to deal from there, keeping in mind that the dealer will eventually get back the holdback and financal reserve amounts from the factory. That's how dealers can (in theory anyway) sell you a vehicle at dealer invoice and still make a profit.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    TDA varies by region so we don't include in invoice pricing around here.

Gulf States and Southeast Toyota are big distributors that have a lock on certain areas of the country. This means that you may be stuck with dealer added options or fees that other markets don't have.

If your local dealers won't deal, about your only option is to shop in another state.

Steve, Host
  • ucscucsc Member Posts: 48
    Hi,

I live in Philadelphia area. Have you got a good deal of 4Runner in Philly? Thanks!

UCSC
  • sonossonos Member Posts: 1
    I just got mine!!! its a Dorado Gold 2004 SR5 with:

leather steering wheel
    roofrack
    17" aluminum wheels
    dealer said he would throw in the floor mats

msrp=$28,905

paid invoice plus $500
    which according to the dealer worked out to be $26,801

The dealer added another $598 dealer fee on top of that. I put $5000 down and financed through the dealer at 3.50% for 60 months. I live in Orlando, FL and believe that I got one of the first 04' models in the area, since I've been checking the inventory nearly daily for the past two weeks (my 97' accord's A/C has been bust for the past 3 weeks and its been like hell......got stuck in an awful traffic jam during lunch hour in about 90 degrees of Florida magic. Had enough and called the dealer and told them I wanted to buy today and they gave me the offer I just mentioned.

Tom
  • kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    coppermine - where did you buy your 4runner?

anyone else know of any good dealers in the LA/Long Beach area?
  • coppermine2001coppermine2001 Member Posts: 8
    I got mine at Claremont Toyota. It comes with life time oil change, too. Let me know if you need more info.
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Looking at 03 limited. Msrp is 38,100. Dealer claims he is giving me 300 over invoice less 750 rebate. Invoice 34,300. My price is 33,919. Would you think its a good deal on the v6? Or can I get them lower? Is limited they way to go or should I consider sport? All dealers in nyc area are in the same ballpark.
  • smark1smark1 Member Posts: 2
    Ready....Here we go...03 Limited 4Runner 4wd, 6cyl loaded(w.o. nav syst)for 33,800 with financing in the low to mid 3's....or 03 P.F. le, loaded for 30,900 with 0.9 financing. Leaning towards the 4Runner. Is this a good, great or lousy price? I live in the Boston area and most dealerships wont go below 34,200.
     Is there a sulphur issue with the 6 cyl? Thanks, steve
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    I considered and drove both the Pathfinder and 4Runner. The Pathfinder is nice enough and drives very well (it's less of an offroad machine), especially with that nice Nissan 3.5L 6-cyl. However it's significantly narrower and also less sophisticated, especially in the driveline. I think it's significantly less of a vehicle at a price that's only slightly lower.

The Pathfinder is due for a redesign, but I'm not sure of the timing. The new Pathfinder "Armada" is not a Pathfinder replacement. It's a full-size SUV, while the 4Runner and Pathfinder are mid-size.
  • markyiimarkyii Member Posts: 1
    I've bought two other Toyota's in the past and dealing with the dealer was always the most Gawd
    awful experience. I'm in upstate NY and two weeks ago, I bought an 03 4Runner SR5 4X4 with sunroof, 17 inchers, etc. Sticker: $32,500. Purchase Price: $28,600. It appears that there is a $750 rebate from Toyota to the buyer (at least I have it deducted on my purchase order). Mine was manufacted in July and has the appearance package (no cladding), running boards, etc. Oh! As a point of reference, it REALLY helped to have the Carmax advertised cars and discounted prices from the internet. Once I let them know that I could easily avoid all the unpleasantries by driving to Maryland and get what I wanted with no haggling, the dealer changed their approach with me ("how much do you want off the sticker, sir?") VERY fast and brought back the above deal within minutes.
    So far, only 600 miles but a very nice vehicle.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Although I posted on 8-30 that I didn't buy, on 8-31 I had a change of heart & purchased a 2003 V6 SR5 4X4. I didn't get the one killer deals I've seen posted here, but I feel I did ok. Options were mats, spoiler, roof rack & 17' wheels. Sticker=$30,544. My deal was $1804 off MSRP + $1000 rebate + 2.9% 60 month TFS financing. So far so good. Only 400 miles up to today & no complaints. Averaging 17.7 MPG per computer, but like other posters the computer# is inflated by about 1 MPG. I just wish Toyota packaged their vehicles differently, cuz I coulda got any Limited for $4000 off MSRP but my head touches the stupid sunroof. Without the sunroof I would have spent more $. Toyota, are you listening?? Build us some high end vehicles w/o the sunroof please.
  • dpalaudpalau Member Posts: 20
    I just signed the papers for a custom order of a 2004 4Runner SR5 4x4. Options included:

AW - 17" Alloy wheels
    TH - Third row seat
    DR - Roof rack
    RF - Rear spoiler
    PN - Anti-theft alarm
    NJ - Homelink
    EC - Auto-dimming mirror
    NA - 115V AC
    NE - Leather wrapped wheel

MSRP: 32055, invoice: 28489. No TDA charged or any other fee (besides the $540 destination charge which I included).

My price: $30350 with the dealer throwing in the all-weather floor mats.

This falls right in line the Edmunds TMV price (although the MSRP/invoice price Edmund's lists for the 3rd row seat is incorrect - they list $1195/$956 which is the price of this option when purchasing the Limited style, not the SR5 which is really $735/588; the difference being the Liimited is in leather).

Given that they threw in the floor mats, didn't charge for TDA or anything else, and gave me several hundred more in on my trade than what Edmunds recommends (and a little higher than KBB), I think I got a pretty good deal being this early in the season.

The salesperson mentioned to me that the sticker price already includes the TDA and that some dealers try to charge this again to the customer. I found this to be true for two other Toyota dealers I talked too.

The dealer I went through is Le Mieux Toyota in Green Bay (Wisconsin). Bergstrom Toyota in Oshkosh would do a custom order but they were several hundreds more in price, $700 less in on my trade, and tried to charge me a TDA of ~$325 plus a 'documentation' feel of $65. Kolosso Toyota of Appleton wouldn't even call me back to say if they would be willing to do a custom order.

I really feel like talking up the dealer I got this from. Returned my phone calls, very quick in determining if they could even do this, and proactive on making suggestions and explaining the whole process. I think they are a much smaller dealer than the other two and don't have much of a presence in the Fox Valley and Wisconsin that made them a little more customer orientated.

Now I just have to wait 2-6 months.
  • smark1smark1 Member Posts: 2
    Bought the 03 4Runner Limited 6cyl, Loaded (w.o. Nav Sys)! Sticker was 38000, Final Price......33,595. Dropping off the 01 Pathfinder LE lease next week and picking up the new vehicle! Not a lot of fun playing the "game", but i think i did ok.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    Thinking about a special order, too. But you say: "Now I just have to wait 2-6 months. " Were you given a reason for the four month difference? Were you told anything about the timing being more likely closer to 6 than 2? Were you actually told there was even a reasonable chance of 2 months? Also, surely you were in a bad negotiating position. Wasn't there pressure on you just to pay MSRP?
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    I just ordered a 2004 Limited 4X2 V6 with all the goodies and was told 8-10 weeks, so I don't know where the 6 month time frame is coming from. Personally, I think that the dealer may have been discouraging the special orders and trying to sell what's on the lot, due to their floor plan (which is usually 90 days). Just my opinion.
    The sales manager gave the time limit of 2-6 months to me. They actually listed a delivery date of 4 months from time of purchase and seemed reasonably confident of getting it within that time or maybe a little sooner.

Regarding the 4-month window, I will try to reiterate what was told to me by the dealership. Whether this is all true or not I have no idea and regarding the process explained below I also have no idea if the limitations are put in place by the dealer, regional Toyota sales, or the headquarters. Also my memory could be a little faulty.

Since the car I wanted with the options I wanted was not available for the region I was in (Chicago) or any of the regions that were serviced by the same port of entry (I believe the port was in the northwest and the regions served by this were the NW region, Chicago, and Cincinnati?), a custom order from the factory had to be initiated rather than trying to get something from a different region in the US (due to cost or a Toyota 'rule' they did not say).

Toyota has in place some pretty stringent rules regarding placing a custom order. It basically has to be a done deal by the customer with a deposit. Once this has been verified the dealership said it takes about a month to get all of the paperwork squared away and the factory actually ready to look at building the custom order since the manufacturing capability is full up to that point.

At that time they actually fill up the manufacturing 'slots' for each region with the 'standard' vehicles that they normally build taking into account if certain dealers are requesting certain vehicles (that fit the standard options that they would normally get). Each dealership gets allocated a certain number of cars and within this allotment can try to switch around with other dealers' allotments to fulfill a need (either the dealership or a customers). I think this is done regionally.

Once all of the 'normal' manufacturing slots are taken care of, there is some capability to build custom orders from the factory. Normally the stock vehicles would be built in these places. Whether or not a custom order gets accepted is based on a couple of different factors, the most important one seeming how close the custom vehicle requested is to the stock vehicles that are normally built. With my order there was nothing really out of the ordinary about it. But if for some reason I wanted a 4x2 with out A.C. there is much less chance that the factory (or dealer) would accept a custom order.

Once the order has been approved they see if they could fit it into the schedule (which I believe is on a 2 week rotation). If it can, the dealer gets notified that the car is being built and what allotment it will be a part of. So if the factory can do the custom order right away and by the time it is built and shipped, it would be right around two months.

But if the factory for whatever reason doesn't decided to build the custom order for the current manufacturing period, they would take a look at it next time to see if they could fit it in. This process could go on for several months, hence the 6-month timeframe. They could even ultimately reject it, which would really stink.
    The salesperson I ordered from mentioned that it was a big deal for the dealer to go through the hassle of placing a custom order due mainly to the effort and time involved on their part.

Before they determined that what I wanted was a custom order (which I knew beforehand from talking with other dealerships), I let them know that I was talking to those other dealerships in the area. After they determined that it was a custom order I let them know that their main competitors would also do a custom order (which was a little white lie - only one of them would and they were much higher in price).

After they made sure I was a serious buyer they came back with their offer of 30350 (from an MSRP of 32055). That was when they mentioned that they might not be able to do better than that due to the effort involved. I didn't really argue the point since they were so much better in price than the other dealership and just asked for the all-weather floor mats and I would purchase from them for sure. So the deal went through.

I can definitely believe that it is a hassle for them based on what I saw from how the other dealers responded to me once they knew it was a custom order. I just think I lucked out that there was a dealer in my area that seemed to want to go the extra mile to please a customer. The other dealers are much bigger (having other locations selling other makes) and I can only assume that they make enough money just selling the 'normal' stuff.

But each dealer didn't really have that many on the lot (one had 2, one had 1, and one had 0) so maybe that was a little incentive for them to try and make a sale on something they didn't necessarily have. The dealer I purchased from did actually have one that was going to be as close as I could get from my region but I was pretty adamant and they stopped trying to push it (probably realizing they could sell it to someone else pretty easily).

coolpop36 - maybe the Limited you ordered was one that would be produced at some point in the future or was close enough to one that was going to be built anyway. Or maybe that is the actual time frame. The other dealer that offered to do a custom order actually quoted 8 weeks so maybe they knew that what I wanted was easy enough for the factory to build. They only mentioned 6 months I think just to prepare me for the fact that it could take that long, although they seemed pretty confident that it would take less than 4 (and put that date in writing). Who knows, they could still have been trying to convince me to purchase the one they had but we were pretty far in the process and I think that they knew I would not take it. Maybe I was hoodwinked, but it seemed to me that they hadn't done a lot of custom orders on the models produced in Japan and they were just trying to be honest but doing a little CYA. Like I said they seem to be a smaller dealer in the area and were a little more customer oriented.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    Wow, great posts. Thanks for writing all that stuff. Two fast questions: did you try to search the country for what you wanted (and if so, how), and, what were you told about changing your mind, either because you could not wait and got something else, or, because you just did not like something about the car that was built for you, e.g. sulphur smell?
    I didn't realize my posts were that long, I tend to ramble. I guess I have things to say to me. :)

I didn't try to do a national search by any means. I did at one time try to custom build a car through Toyota's web site by entering a zip of different areas of the country (I tried Atlanta and Los Angeles) but I still couldn't seem to get exactly what I wanted.

The dealer only did a search in my region and maybe the other regions serviced by the same port of entry. I do not believe they did a national search (a different dealer said that they could only do a locate in the region they were in).

The dealer wanted to be pretty sure that I wouldn't change my mind after the car came in and I would be willing to wait for it (hence the $500 deposit). But they said that if something major happened like a job loss they would understand and refund my deposit if the car was in the process of being built. Mostly due to the fact that the particular car I ordered with those particular options they thought they could still probably sell in the area.

In the contract it said they would keep the deposit if I changed my mind but like I said, at the time they at least talked like they would let me out of it if something happened. I made pretty sure to them that it was a 4Runner I wanted and nothing else and that I would wait for it (I have been looking at these since late spring).

I guess if something was wrong with it like the infamous sulphur smell, I assume it would be handled as if I had just picked one off the lot; nothing was stated in the contract concerning this.
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    I would get a written statement from the dealership for the refund of the deposit if the vehicle was not delivered in a timely manner that way there would not be a hassle getting the deposit back. Infamous sulphur smell, it's in the gas, hopefully your in a region that has low sulphur gas. Windows up and put the A/C in recir will help.
    The dealer did have something in the contract stating that I could choose to walk away if they did not deliver the vehicle within 15 days from when they said they would - which they wrote in as being 4 months from the time I placed the order.

I guess they were reasonably confident of being able to deliver it by then. They only mentioned the 6 months as a not-very-likely scenario I think.
  • bmannerbmanner Member Posts: 3
    Well, I made the plunge and I'm glad I did. This thing is as smoooooooth as silk. Really wanted the V6, but could only find a V8 SE in white. Anyway, sticker was $33,692 (major option was the roof and rear spoiler) and dealer sold for $30,900. Not the best deal, but I got the SE and color I wanted. Great machine! This is in West Tennessee.

Bob
  • mm3051mm3051 Member Posts: 10
    Another option to getting the 4Runner exactly the way you want it is to go thru a broker. After playing the dealer game in Bend, Oregon and getting resistance over ordering/pricing what I wanted, I decided to look into working with an auto broker. All said, he spent 45 minutes in his office representing ME, and had a faxed confirmation in two days of exactly what I wanted. No deposit, no dealer hassel. Ordered a 2004 4Runner, Limited 4WD, 4dr, V8 with following options:
         Navigation, Power sunroof, Curtain & side airbags, X-REAS shocks, Rear spoiler, Running lights, Federal emissions, Floor mats, Hood protector, Galactic gray, Taupe leather; (8688, O1E9, LB42, FE,GY,NH,NV,RF,RL,SR,CF,HP) $38,922 delivered.
         Just another way to get what you want. Some people may enjoy wrestling with the dealers and may or may not get the price or product they want, but having been thru that many times before this time was by far a MUCH BETTER experience!
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    It also seems to be a more expensive approach than haggling yourself. $39K is kinda high for a Limited with your options.

But you said delivered, which includes tax, title, registration and other $$, then it might be a reasonable price. Also, try Carmax, the dealer in Maryland sells no haggle new Toyota's.
  • mm3051mm3051 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you Mr. Newman for your comments. Your right that it appears a little high, but then again when taking A L L factors into consideration I think it was very competitive. I've enjoyed your previous postings especially those regarding the Ford "Exploders"!
  • jfn1000jfn1000 Member Posts: 40
    Just picked up a brand new 2004 4runner SR5 4x4 with v-8 engine, 3rd seat package, roof rack, daytime running lights, floor mats, for $28,188. MSRP was $32,514. I also was required to pay $198. doc fee, as well as sales tax and registration. The doc fee is an additional dealer markup for the time in typing up the required forms , registering and obtaining insurance binder, etc. Miserable buying experience (I bought the advertised "Saturday Special"), but seemed to be a good deal. I don't want to mention the dealer by name, but if you choose to "Come On Down" plan on wasting lots of time waiting to talk to finance/manager types (trying to sell warrantees etc). I asked the question "If I'm not looking to finance through you, and I don't have a trade, and I've signed the Purchase Agreement, why do I have to wait and sit with someone?" The answer was something like - 'If you want the car you have to sit with Finance'; so about 1.5 hours after signing everything, I was finally freed.
  • desertmandesertman Member Posts: 30
    Guys - When I look at the options list on Edmunds or CarsDirect, I see a la carte, individual options. However, when I "Build and Price a 4Runner" on Toyota's website, it bundles all the options into Group 1 and Group 2. These groups do not exist on any of the above-mentioned sites. If the options are indeed grouped like this, and not priced individually, then the pricing info on Edmunds and CarsDirect can't be right. Does anyone know the answer?
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    The option groups on Toyota's website are how the vehicles are actually delivered to the dealerships, so all the ones you'll find on the lot will have those option groups. You can do a la carte, but you have to special order those from a dealer that will do special orders, and wait 2 to 6 months.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Anybody bought 04 4Runner or 04 Highlander around Silicon Valley area? How much did you pay? I am looking for a SR5 4x2 with 3rd row seat and curtain airbags. Preferring a leather package too. Similar for Highlander. Thanks.
  • rsiriginrsirigin Member Posts: 11
    I am looking to buy a 2004 4Runner very soon and here in AZ they have a 8.1% sales tax which easily sums up to $3500 (approx.). I have heard that the sales tax is relatively low in some states and NM being on of my neighboring states I was thinking I should make the purchase in NM instead of AZ. Any such experiences? Any idea on how much the sales tax is in NM? Thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Unless you are planning on registering it in another state, I don't think you're going to be able to avoid paying the sales tax when you pick up your tags. Check with your state's DMV.

Steve, Host
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Sales tax on vehicles is always levied in the state where you permanently register it. You may pay originally to the state you purchase (not likely if it's next door like NM - states usually have some sort of waiver if it's a neighboring state and/or they issue you temp tags) but when you register in in your home state, they'll get their pound of flesh (probably give you credit for what's already paid to the other state if it's a lower rate there), but rest assured you'll pay 8.1 in total when all is said and done. It's not like buying something from **Bean and having it delivered to your house without paying sales tax (unless of course your state has a "self-assessment" law). If it were that easy, everyone would buy their vehicles where there is no/little sales tax (if such nirvana existed!)and save a bucketload of cash on a vehicle purchase !

metmdx
    If I go with the JBL 10-speaker (w/6-disc changer) then I would have to give-up the 3rd row seating option. I am now re-considering the idea of going with the original stereo system. Any thoughts on the quality of the original one? Also, is it true that I can't get X-REAS if I go with the 3rd rwo seating option. Please enlighten me. Thanks!
  • stoesstoes Member Posts: 9
    I have the stock stereo in my 03Runner and it is pretty disappointing. That said, I am comparing it to a Pathfinder stereo, that I turned in from a lease, which was fantastic.
  • leonz904leonz904 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 03 4runner SE(odo 207).
    I liked it very much.

But soon I found lots of scratch under three door handles!!! I spot and bought the truck at night, did not notice those scratch under the door handles. My mistake!

Anyhow, add the fact the truck was out of battery when I tried to test drive it(the saleman said sb left the light on, which casued the batt.)
    I am doubting the truck is demo and acutal mileage is much more than it is.
    Is that possible dealer change the millage reader?

Please get me some insight, what should I do right now??? Thanks a million!!!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Your battery issue is most likely from sitting on the lot awhile. Besides, its under warranty. As for the scratches ask your dealer if they'd be willing to help out, but if its really minor then just live with it. The 4Runner is designed to turn off all the lights after about 30 minutes if they're left on, so the most likely cause once again is your vehicle has sat awhile & the passive anti-theft systems suck the juice while they're sitting. Every vehicle on the lot where I bought was a demo for someone before it was purchased, & two had to be jump started. Enjoy your vehicle.
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    The door handle recess do get scratched up, make sure everyone has short finger nails before offering them a ride unless it's really worth it if you get my meaning. ;o) New vehicles get test drives, lets assume the very worst, the test drive averages 5 miles, so there could have been 41 different drivers with passengers. It's a federal offense to tamper with the odometer and highly unlikely the new car dealer would risk it, maybe a shady used car dealer or private seller might. I really don't like the laws about how they term a new vehicle, as long as the vehicle has not been registered to a owner, a dealer could drive the vehicle as example 12,000 plus miles and can still legally sell it as new, something wrong here. IMO 207 is the original miles and the vehicle has not been driven very much recently to charge the battery as another person on this message thread has stated.
  • aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    I am probably going to buy a 4runner over thanksgiving (special order) and i'm wondering which area of the country gives the most rebates on average. I am in Omaha, NE; but I have family in Jackson, MS, so I will buy from the surrounding areas..ie within a 100 miles.
    I would like to thank everybody for helping me narrow down my choice to a sport edition 04 4Runner. So, I went to the local Autonation Internet fleet department and paid a $500 deposit for them to find the vehicle I am looking for.

Looks like here is the final price I would have to pay, if anybody see that I am being ripped, please let me know.

MSRP (w/options) - $29695 (edmunds.com)
    Invoice (w/options) - $26296 (edmunds.com)
    Destination charge - $540
    Price above invoice - $400 (this is something that I agreed to pay keeping in mind the scarcity of the 2004 sport models with V6)

The dealer also tried to add something called TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising fee) for $665. Lucky me I read the tips from the carbuyingtips.com website, I had him remove that fee.

My final price would be inovice + $400 + tax + fees (Destination + license/registration + doc).

Now my question is, the invoice price that edmunds.com lists, does this include any other "hidden fees" that we should bargain with the dealers? Also the dealer is charging $299 for doc fees and $500 for registration/license/etc, are these fees normal?

Thanks,
    Ravi
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    The last time we bought a new car, it was a 1998 Toyota Camry, purchased in Baton Rouge, LA. The total cost of documentary fees, registration, license, etc was $123. Your quote of $799 sounds like highway robbery to me. Ask for a breakdown.
  • dushma1dushma1 Member Posts: 8
    I am currently looking into 04 limited V6 4X4 and found a dealer in Chicago land burbs giving $4100 off MSRP just over internet. I also made sure the only charges I am paying is Tax, Doc and Title. I told him I have 3 more keeps to research and he is will to nigociate little more on price.
    MSRP $37859, I am getting $33748. Also went to the dealership for test drive and found a very young sales man. I think they are willing to work on the price due to their location. I also talked to friend in Huston TX working at Toyota dealership and he told me that I am getting a very good price even he quoted me $250 higher ( Out the door Price).
  • ohelloohello Member Posts: 27
    Fees, registration, and license can be as low as $49 in MD, usually between $100-150. Their offer is really closer to $1000 above invoice with $200 for fees, etc. Sounds like they gave you the $665 advert fee and then took it back on the other side. But as they always say, concentrate on the out-the-door price and let them split it up. Your out-the-door price sounds pretty good.