Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier

Comments

• soggydogsoggydog Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2001SE/CC V6 4X4 Automatic with 4000 miles. Checked around town mileage yesterday, it came out to 16.5mpg. I recently took a 2k from FL. to PA. and back all interstate running at 75+ mph, best mpg was 19.2. That's when I found out about the speed limiter, engine will spit and sputter at 95 to 100 mph. It might get a little better now that it's broke in a little and if slowed down to 65 mph. Actually it gets about what the window sticker says, 15 mpg city, 19 mpg highway. That is still better than my 83 king cab 4X4 5spd which averaged 13 city 16 highway, and the only way to get above 75mph was downhill.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Anyone able to find a shell that will work with the bed extenter, by that I mean the extender is still able flip between both postions and maybe even be able to be removed. I've talked to couple of shell places and they say there aren't any made that'll work. If you know of one please tell me the brand and where you got it. I hate to put the extender in the rafters, we love the way it captures things at the back, and for that reason I'd love to have it and a shell!
  • mpruittmpruitt Member Posts: 18
    ...when you say "shell" I'm guessing you aren't talking about a hard (flat) tonneau cover. I too, have the bed extender, want a hard tonneau cover, and have wondered if the lift on the cover will allow complete operation of my extender.

Am I going to have a problem with this, also?
  • mpruittmpruitt Member Posts: 18
    ...and putting another to see if the inaction here is reflective of the last date showing on the link page, which is December 26. Maybe if I update it here, others will think this is current enough to look at and will revive it some...
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    I test drove a 2000 CC last year and decided to wait and see what the new SC engine would do for the Frontier. The first time I saw a commercial on TV for the 2001 model, I thought the updated design looked good. Then I went and looked @ one. I couldn't believe it. Disappointed to say the least. I'm sorry but those little things sticking out of the wheel flares look cheap. The little black piece on the tail gate looks like it will fade badly in time. You know sometimes when your driving down the freeway and you'll see a large piece of plastic on the side of the road that someone forgot to clean up after an accident? Well, that big piece of plastic looks like the front end of the 2001 Frontier.

I'm also sick of every car/truck and SUV having white faced instrument panels....they've made the Frontier one big design gimmick...

If I could take the 2000 CrewCab, put in the new engine and locking tailgate from the 2001, I'd be ready to buy...

Like the new Tacoma CC, but it sure is pricey!
  • cgnotgrasscgnotgrass Member Posts: 1
    Given the lack of attention to this board in awhile, I begin by wondering if I'll ever see a reply. . .
    I've been following the CC since it first came out and I expect to be in position to make a purchase sometime in the next 9 months, or so. I have a couple of questions, though. Has anybody heard what might be in the works for 2002? Any interior/exterior/engine changes? They will probably be out by the time I'm ready to buy, so I'm just curious. Anybody with comments about buying a 2001 model truck when the 2002s come out? Pros, cons? Also, I live relatively close to Smyrna, TN. Any thoughts/ideas about whether or not I'd be able to pick up a truck myself at the factory?
  • jeffghsjeffghs Member Posts: 11
    To cgnotgrass, I too am looking at buying a new truck in the next few months, and have been eyeing the Frontier CC's for some time now. Some info I have heard on various boards including freshalloy.com, nissanfrontier.net, and pickuptruck.com states that at the Chicago Auto show Nissan will show the 2002 model with a longer bed. The only other big change I've heard is the improved relocation of the parking brake to a normal place. Don't give up on the board, and good luck shopping.
  • infiniti_lemoninfiniti_lemon Member Posts: 21
    Maybe you guys can help me out, seeing that you are either Nissan customers or potential buyers. I appreciate any support you guys can give me.

Here is the website detailing my problems with Infiniti/Nissan over my lemon QX4. Putting the finishing touches on it this week, and I'm thinking about buying an appropriate domain name for it.

read all about it:

http://sleepwalk.home.mindspring.com

• mediawest1mediawest1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My new Frontier Headliner is pulling out at the rear window. The Dealer, Nissan of Buena Park, CA tells me they are all this way, sure makes you feel better to know there are thousands of them defective. Of course he tells me this isn't a defect, but it was built this way, I guess a built in defect is something to brag about, or maybe since I wear flannel shirts I look like I just fell off the "Turnip Truck". Has anyone else had this problem, also the side panal upholstry on the drive's side door is coming apart, but hey I got almost 500 miles on it, what should I expect? You can contact me at mediawest1@aol.com or Bill Bastian, c/o Media West, 14130 Alondra Blvd., Unit "B", Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670. Tel:562/802-1022 Fax: 562/921-4886.
  • d121544d121544 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Nissan Frontier - 4 wheel drive.

I have 33,800 miles on it. The tires still
    look great and I have done nothing but lube
    and oil. Absolutely fabulous truck.

I recommed one if you need a very good truck.
  • lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I work for the supplier that is making the new Park brake release. I was just in Smyrna yesterday and saw a 2002 being test built on the line. It has an all new dash. The gauges have 3 round pods, instead of the one large plastic lens that is there now. The gauges have a silver backing that fades to blue, reminds me of a snowmobile.
  • z71josez71jose Member Posts: 22
    My friend's 2001 Frontier crew-cab that she only has had
    for a month died on her in the middle of the road...and was
    almost rear-ended by another vehicle. Has anyone
    else experience this probem?
  • tman_aztman_az Member Posts: 3
    Well, after "lurking" in this forum (and amongst others) for some time, I finally decided to purchase a 2001 Frontier CC SE 5spd 2wd, w/Deluxe pkg, util pkg, Sand Dune color, bed liner, bed extender. Paid roughly $100 under KBB invoice (including installed options). I think that this was a fair deal.

I had it narrowed down to two finalists: Toyota Double Cab or the Frontier CC.

Toyota: More expensive, no dealers willing to discount/deal to invoice. No 5 spd in Double Cab. Safety ratings and standard brakes stink.

Frontier: Just right for my needs. Price was right, configuration was exactly what I was looking for. Dealers much more pleasant (relatively speaking, of course). Good brakes and good safety ratings.

Thanks to all forum participants for the useful commentary and information which helped me, in so small part, to make an informed purchasing decision. This is the first automobile purchase that I knew EXACTLY what type of vehicle I was getting into before plunking down the money.
  • mysticgoldmysticgold Member Posts: 2
    I hope you didn't pay for that option, I just double checked and the limited slip and roof rack are standard equipment on the SE. I wanted to get the black fender flares on the SE model. (I think the look better) I was told this is not possible on and SE. Anyone have an SE without the color coordinated fender flares?
    You're right. The SE comes standard with the Utility package. I was just referring to it since, at one point, I was considering an XE model optioned up to a pseudo-SE level. Didn't pay extra for it on my SE.
    I think that your only option would be to order / find an XE model with most of the SE options added on (minus the color-keyed flares).
  • easoneason Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what the release date for the 2002 SC Frontier is? I emphasize SC because they are usually released later than the the SE.
    Thanks in advance
  • thirdgearthirdgear Member Posts: 5
    I've posted here before that you can get more power and better mileage by adding a K&N air filter. Stillen , out of California, now has a Cat-Back exhaust system available for crewcabs.They claim that testing showed a 17 h.p.increase and 3MPG better when used in conjunction with a K&N filter and their Cold box induction ( Cold Box not really required unless you live in a hot climate). And it won't void your warranty. It only took me 45 minutes to install, 4 bolts and 2 clamps. I believe their claims after installing. And the throaty but mellow sound is nice, too. This is in no way an advertisement for Stillen, but it's hard not to recommend this set up as it really works. At less than $400, and at today's gas prices, it wouldn't take long to recoup your costs, and you'll have a lot of fun getting there. Easy web site to find, lots of cool stuff for these trucks. Thanks.
  • lilly2000lilly2000 Member Posts: 25
    HI!! GUYS, WHAT IS GOING ON, NO IS REPORTING ANYTHING ABOUT THE CC, ARE THEY DOING THAT WELL, MINE IS AFTER 11K MILES IN 6 MONTHS, I LOVE IT EVERYDAY MORE. THE 4/4 IS GREAT, THE ENGINE SOUNDS BETTER NOW THAN IT DID WHEN NEW.. IF YOU ARE THINKING GETTING INTO ONE, LOOK FOR A GOOD DEAL, THE ENGINE IS GOOD. THE 3.3L USE TO BE THE PATHFINDER ENGINE FOR OVER 10YEARS, I THINK, I COULD BE WRONG, BUT YOU GUYS CAN LOOK INTO IT........ KEEP DRIVING THEM... ADD A 12 CD CHANGER BEHIND THE BACK SEAT.. AND DON'T WORRY, KEEP FRESH OIL IN IT
  • trippinglizardtrippinglizard Member Posts: 56
    I test drove a nissan "crew" 4x4 and a dodge "quad" 4x4 . . . their is lots more room in the dodge . . . the v8 engine in the dodge flys even compared to the jumpy sc v6 in the Nissan. The dodge has a much better sound system and the ride is more car like than the nissan, yet has better off road capabilities and can tow Babe the blue ox!! Yes dodge isn't AS reliable, but that's what warranties are for . . go dodge you won't be sorry!!!
    HI! DODGEEEE GUY, THAT' WHAT WARRANTIES ARE FOR..
    FIRST, DO YOU OWN THE TRUCK OR ARE YOU PAYING RENT ON IT. LEASING A MEAN.. IF YOU LEASE, TRUE YOU DON' HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT TRUCK, BECAUSE IS COVER UNDER THE WARRANTIES, BUT IF YOU BUY A TRUCK BECAUSE YOU LOVE IT. YOU WANT THE MOST RELIABLE TRUCK. NISSAN AND TOYOTA ONLY, ANYTHING ELSE IS JUST PLAYING CASH UP.. I HOPE I AM CLEAR ON GOOD AND DEPENDABLE TRUCK. KEEP YOU 80K IF LUCKY DODGE TRUCK,, I AM VERY HAPPY HAPPY WITH MY NISSAN FRONTIER, AND BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE THAT BOUGH ONE IS TOO. THANK YOU.. ILL BE HERE!!!!!!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    lilly2000... in general, people take what you have to say a bit better if you can avoid posting in ALL CAPS. Sometimes folks tend to take it as yelling and react to it as if you are yelling at them. It's also easier on the eyes for those of us who live online...LOL

How long have you had your Frontier?

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News and Views Message Boards
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Trying to buy a 2001 CC, 4X2, SE w/leather, automatic. Dealer offerred me $400. over invoice and all accessories @ invoice. What do you think?

Thanks!
  • hydrogeekhydrogeek Member Posts: 10
    I bought a 2001 SE CC 4x2 (no leather) with the Deluxe Package, Under the Rail Bed liner, Bed Extender, Floor Mats and the Micro Filters for $300 over invoice. If you fell comfortable with it I would say okay but since car sales are a bit slow I would try to shop his price around or ask him to knock off a hundred or two. It can't hurt. Good luck and you won't regret the CC, I love mine and my kids thick it is the coolest thing to ride in dad's truck.
  • nissan4me1nissan4me1 Member Posts: 1
    Just traded my 1999 Dodge Dakota ST Crew Cab V6 for 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew 4x2, SE model 5 speed. I love this truck. This Dodge had a history of too many problems for a new vehicle, computer failed, over-heating and broke down several times. Had to be towed in for repairs while out of state on vacation. Now at 35k miles, already into brakes, new tires and motor had no power, already had transmission adjustments. Dealer did little to help, would not even get me going into a new Dodge to "try again" and was the lowest trade in, below what I still owed. After all the on-going problems and filing a complaint with Chrysler, I had to move on as I was near out of warranty. As a previous Nissan owner twice before, I checked the new Nissan again and was pleased with the vehicle, options, dealer and the ride.
  • goreds2goreds2 Member Posts: 1
    I own the 01 DE CC. I just sold my 87 Nissan Pickup to a person that has a ewer Dodge truck like you had. The Dodge truck is giving him the same trouble that you experienced. He just wanted some reliable transportation while he tries to sell his DODGE truck. (He will probably lose money on it) I had my 87 P-U for 12 and 1/2 years. The only thing that went wrong with it (besides brakes etc.) was the water pump. It never once had to be towed ! I will miss that truck. I bought the Crew Cab because I have a family. My little boy loves the back seat! Congrats on getting rid of the Dodge. I could write a book with the trouble we had with our 89 caravan. I am sure you can imagine.
  • lee80lee80 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a Frontier CC and recently bought the side window louvers. The problem is to properly mount the front louvers it appears that I need to loosen the side view mirrors. This is where the problem is...it appears that I need to remove the door panels to gain access to the screw securing the side mirror. Has anybody out there installed louvers on their CC yet?
  • goreds3goreds3 Member Posts: 3
    This is a good chat area but try www.nissanfrontier.net Go into the FRONTIER FORUM. I hope you find your answer.
  • lee80lee80 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the site!!
  • daryl_jdaryl_j Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a 2001 Frontier Crew Cab earlier this month and had to write how pleased I am with the vehicle. I too considered a Dodge Dakota but didn't take long to decide NOT - after hearing all the bad reports. I have also heard many bad things about Chrysler/Dodge transmissions. We own a Mercury Villager and have been very happy with the Nissan engine it has. More on the CC... it's a XE, silver, deluxe package, under rail liner, bed extender, hitch, floor mats. I am getting a little over 17 MPG on the first 2 tanks of gas in a mix of city and hwy driving. Have to agree with hydrogeek that my kids love riding in this truck too. Still breaking it in with a little over 500 miles on it. The finance guy said I paid $50 over invoice, but I don't believe the $400 advertising fee that was on the invoice. Still got the price I wanted. This forum is great. Thanks Edmunds.
  • bmsorybmsory Member Posts: 17
    Gang,
    I just bought 2001 frontier CC-SE and I wanna
    dress up my new toy can some body give me some
    websites that offers accessories and performance
    parts for frontiers ?
    Thanks
  • azsazs Member Posts: 3
    I purchased the 2000 King Cab SE 4WD, I didn't get it with cruise control. I want to now get it installed. Does anyone no if I can get it. When I went back to the dealer to see if I could get it they said no. Is that true
  • nissancrewcabnissancrewcab Member Posts: 12
    Good luck with your purchase. I have my crew cab for 1 year now ZERO problems. Nissan does a fair amount of advertising , they assign a value of the
    dollars spent per car on the invoice. We know that nothing in this life is free. Fair is fair, with the tremendous costs involved in running a new car dealership the dealer is entitled to make a profit.
    He has a lot to lose too.
    nissancrewcab - i'll have to agree with you on the "fair is fair" issue. with Edmund's advise, i went in hoping to get a fair price and believe i did. i was told that the demand for nissan vehicles in this area is not as much as in other places. this CC was on the lot for about 3 months. i said to the folks at the dealership i wanted them to make money, which i think they did since they said yes to my second price offer. i want them to succeed since they are conveniently located a mile from my house. :-) Anyway, nearing 800 miles on the truck and seems to be getting better by the day. BTW. the heater in this truck is awesome! warms up very quickly.
  • solarcrewsolarcrew Member Posts: 1
    asz,I bought aftermarket cruise from jc whitny for under $100.installed myself.There,s also a co.called Rostra that sells them.Mine is audiovox,works fine.Initially had problems with tech info,but called audiovox tech line.Also,does anyone with xe crew cab have problems with the non-elctric windows rattling when cracked about an inch down.Minor nuisance,still luv my truck!
    Has anyone add any stereo's into the cc.
    this past weekend I add a 12 ad changer jvc, behind the back seat. I love it, the ad controller was put right under the 4x4 shift. my cc has 15k an counting, ... NO PROBLEMS AT ALL....
    ..... HAS ANYONE THOUGH OF ADD DUE MUFFLER TO THE V6 CC... WOULD THIS HELP THE IN ANY WAY?
  • donleungdonleung Member Posts: 22
    I'm interested in buying a 2002 Crew Cab this fall with the long box and apparently different frame (maybe all new) noted from the location of the rear wheels in the pictures on Nissan's web site.

In Car and Driver's recent long term test of a Frontier Crew Cab there was a picture of the left rear door area of the body (at least that's what I recall) that showed some rust under a painted weld seam of the cab. They surmised it was due to cab and/or frame flex.

I've seen a similar problem on the old full size Ford Bronco's with the fiberglass back half (think OJ Simpson vehicle). They would all rust at the roof seam right behind the doors.

Have any of you Frontier owners noted similar rust or any other signs of lack of rigidity in the frame/body assembly?

Thanks
    Don
  • mahimahimahimahi Member Posts: 497
    Don,
    I don't know about C & D's truck (that's what you get with car guys playing with trucks :)) but I've had mine for a year exactly on March 6th and at this point have 35k miles on it and have no rust(anywhere, not even on the undercarriage), paint fading, cracks in the paint... no problems at all. But then again I take care of my truck, who knows what the idiots at a CAR magazine do to any of these vehicles that their editors drive when they want. Plus I'm curious if the Nissan CC is as bad as the magazine said it was last year this time why do they still have it?

My suggestion to you Don, don't worry about it, especially if you take care of your truck (like wipe the door jambs once in a while... wax mine every now and then). I would be very, very surprised if anybody responds to your post saying their new CC is rusting. Have a Good Day.
    I'm a new poster to this thread, I'm usually over in the Mercedes areas, not trying to be a snob! LOL
    Anyways, thought you guys might be intereseted in some of our experiences with our 00 SE crewcab. We got ours in June of 99, right when they came out. We've had 21k absolutely trouble free miles! We've installed a matching silver shell and are able to still use our bed extender! I just took a little Makita grinder and took a little metal off of the metal things the extender fits onto. I can't flip from one postion to the other like it's designed, but I can use it in both positions. I just have to lift it up an inch and pull it out and then reverse it and put it back in, less than 1 minute! Everyone told me it couldn't be done, but it can. I even took it to the dealer and showed them the modification and they were very surprised it was so easily done. I like the Nissan over the competition because it's shorter, it fits in our garage while none of the comp. would. I have read that the 01s are 3 or 4 inches longer, probably the big plastic nose. I really prefer the chrome bumpers and fender flairs of the 00s to the 01s, but I like the the tailgate and the grills of the 01s better. That's it for now!
  • equimanequiman Member Posts: 12
    I also have an 00 SE CrewCab silver with a matching ARE tonneau cover. Thanks for the tip with the bed extender. I have been unable to use my bed-extender because of the problem you mention. I will try your fix. Do you have an ARE cover?

I bought mine in December 1999 and have about 13,000 miles without the slightest of problems. I considered the Dodge Dakota Crew Cab but went with Nissan for the following reasons:
    1. Perceived quality of Nissan vs. Dodge
    2. Price. Similar equipped Nissan a couple grand less than Dodge.
    3. Size. I liked the shorter size of Nissan for garage fit.
    No I don't have an ARE cover, I have a cab high shell. It looks really sharp on the truck, gives it more of an SUV look, plus tons of storage back there now. As far as modifying to make the bed extender work, look at the brackets that hold it, and the nylon/plastic pieces on the extender that slide into the brackets. You need to remove only a little bit of metal from the brackets so that the extender can be installed without being stright up. I'd say you only need to remove about 1/8-1/4 of an inch from each side, it took about 15 seconds with the grinder, I tried a file first, it didn't work! Borrow a little grinder if you don't have one, or rent one, don't try the file. If this doesn't make sense let me know, I'll try to explain it again. It's easy and very worth it!
    Thanks for the advice. I thouight about filing down the nylon/plastic piece on the extender but thought that, being plastic, it might be destroyed in the process. I am going to try your fix this weekend.
    I tried to file the nylon/plastic piece first and spent a good hour filing/trying it/filing/trying it etc. etc. No good!! Grabbed the Makita and about 30 seconds later I was done! I don't know why I didn't think of it first. I did the grinding right in the back of the truck, it's kind of sharp on the edges now, but it's not an issue with the extender installed. Let me know how it goes and good luck!
    I removed the brackets and used my bench grinder. I don't have a portable grinder. Finished in a few minutes and it works fine now. Thanks for the advice.
    Happy to report good gas mileage on a recent journey I took. Drove about 285 miles one way (mostly highway) and got 21 MPG then on the way back got 22.8!!! (maybe less wind or something) . Have about 1900 miles on my 2001 EX CC (auto trans) and still very happy.
    Congrats on the finishing your project! I'm sure yours looks better having taken the time to remove the brackets and do the work on the bench! It was pretty difficult doing it in the back of the truck. I installed the brackets myself, as the extender wasn't available when we bought our truck in June of 99, it's an early CrewCab. We bought the extender about 6 months later. It was sort of difficult with the bedliner being in the way.
  • g8torlennyg8torlenny Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

After much reading here on the boards, I went to the local Dealer this past Saturday, and picked up my 01 CC SE 4x2. I am very impressed with the truck so far. Comfy, holds a few forends, and my trips to Home Depot just got a LOT easier. Made what I thought was a fair deal with the dealer. I went in loaded for bear, had my Palm downloaded with all the Invoice prices. Told my sales person, to not even bother coming back at me with MSRP, or I would walk. They immediately came back with invoice in everything, no fuss, no muss. There was a strange fee of 267 for the infamous administrative charges, but since everything had gone so well to that point, I just let it go. This is my 2nd Nissan truck, the first was a 1984 King Cab, which I sold after 10 years of trouble free service. I can only imaging this will be as good or better.
  • mrheemrhee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Frontier Crew Cab EX that blows hot air through the vent. I measured the outside air while driving and the difference between the air outside and vented air is around 21 beg. F.
    The service guy at the dealership says it's normal, but I never had a vehicle with that much of difference before and was wondering if all Crew Cab EX's have the same problem. I would like to hear from other owners to see if their Frontier is behaving the same way. Thanks.
  • nissancrewcabnissancrewcab Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 Crew Cab and have the same thing. There are many of us noticing the same thing. I turn off the fan as the warm air gets very annoying as the weather gets warmer.
    I also have a 1999 Quest and a 2000 Maxima they don't do it.
  • rcar1rcar1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 crew cab and I noticed the same thing about the hot air. There seems to be no way to stop it and I have never owned another vehicle that has done this. Also this is the first automatic transmission vehicle that I have owned that will not hold on a hill. If you don't keep your foot on the brake pedal or gas the vehicle will roll backwards and keep building up speed. The dealer said that this is normal.
This discussion has been closed.