Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 ram 1500 towing???

rwb4usrwb4us Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Dodge
We are looking to purchase a vehicle to tow our 24' travel trailer camper. 6100 lbs max. weight loaded. we have spotted a 2000 ram 1500 truck quad cab with a 5.9L V8 5 spd. would this have enough pulling power and umph to tow this type of trailer. We currently have a 94 ford explorer and are needing a "bigger" vehicle to use. Also the asking price is 16,900 is this reasonable - it has 62620 miles. Don't know much more as far as specifics on it. Please advise!!!

Comments

• Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The truck has plenty of pulling power, I have an 01 w/360 auto 3.55 gears and 265 75 16 wheels. I tow a 21' river boat that weighs 6000# and I dont have any problems. The price is a little high, with the new style out and 65,000 miles I would expect a price around $15,000.
  • Options
    dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    If the truck is a 1500 with the 5.9, it would have to have an auto transmission. If this is the case, get receipts to show that the maintenance was performed on the transmission.

Dave
  • Options
    rwb4usrwb4us Member Posts: 8
    We went to the car lot and didn't actually see this vehicle on the info we got is from the companies web site. All it says is: 2000 Ram 1500 Truck Quad Cab price - $16,900 cost doesn't include any other fees or taxes. Also says 5.9L V8 5 spd, 62620 miles. it's a 4X4, anti lock rear brakes and it says how much room is inside the cab as far as seating goes. Thanks for all the input on this vehicle.
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The 5 speed manual was available in the 5.2 V8 and the six. It has never been available with the 5.9 in the 1500 series. The 2500 series can have a 5.9 and a manual 5 speed.
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>If the truck is a 1500 with the 5.9, it would have to have an auto transmission. If this is the case, get receipts to show that the maintenance was performed on the transmission.<<

I'm not trying to second guess Dave, but I think I know why he made his recommendation (post #3). Evidence seems to indicate that this engine/transmission combination in the 4x4 seems to have a higher than normal failure rate, approximately 6%.

The automatic transmission in a RAM 1500 4x4 with the 360 motor is the 46RE. This is a very strong and durable transmission. Versions prior to 1998 had a marginal lubrication system in the overdrive unit. Problems surfaced for people who carried or towed loads above 60% of the rated vehicle GVW, or about. This was exacerbated in vehicles operated in cold climates as ATF flows are greatly reduced in lower temperatures. Snowplow service made the situation even worse. Chrysler even issued a cold weather kit that basically bypassed the transmission cooler in order to heat the transmission fluid. Those that allowed the vehicle to come to operating temperature experienced far less transmission problems, or switched off the overdrive on steep hills when carrying heavy loads. Those who neglected to follow "schedule B" service intervals suffered even greater failure rates.

In 1998, Chrysler upgraded their entire transmission line to improve fluid flows in colder temperatures, especially to the overdrive unit. In addition, sensors were added to lock out overdrive until a certain temperature was reached. There were other improvements as well (early shift solenoids were sometimes troublesome), and pre-1998 transmissions can be upgraded with the same improvements.

In general, transmission problems are higher for most truck lines in 4x4 configuration. In this, Dodge is not alone. Dave's suggestion is a good one, especially when buying a vehicle that you don't know how was driven or maintained.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • Options
    I couldn't have said it better myself...:-)

As a 2001 Ram owner with the AT, I've heard enough AT failure stories that it's going to be Schedule B maintenance for me on ALL areas.

Dave
  • Options
    jimpat65jimpat65 Member Posts: 4
    What is schedule B?
  • Options
    In the manual, Dodge gives two different maintenance schedules to use depending on the conditions you've used on the truck (i.e. towing, stop and start driving, high temperature, low temperature, dusty conditions, etc.). By Schedule B, I meant the heavier duty maintenance.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.