Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• marlajscottmarlajscott Member Posts: 4
    so who could look at or fix that problem if you didnt want to bring it to Nissan? Anyone who is able to perform service on a car?
    I have the same issues, and have had my car for a couple of months. I have an SL 2006. I called the dealership and they initially told me it was a station problem. I called yesterday and they told me to bring it in today but I was not able to. I would like to have someone else look at it other than Nissan but dont know where to bring it.
  • theopenskytheopensky Member Posts: 2
    Chances are its not random, its a 'feature' of your key fob! If you are parked relatively close to where you sit, and your key fob is in your pants pocket, the buttons will get pressed against something. If you press and hold the unlock button, your windows will go down. If you press the panic button the alarm goes off.
    I've been parking farther away from my office and I don't keep the key fob in my pocket any more and I haven't had any more windows / alarm incidents.
    I've been searching for a key fob guard of some sort, but in the mean time I keep it on a badge clip in my shirt pocket. Another fix if you're wearing only shorts, keep nothing but the fob in your shorts pocket so theres no chance a button will get pressed.
    Pretty stupid design, I think.
  • theopenskytheopensky Member Posts: 2
    So I gather from the lack of ideas in the forums that there's really nothing that can be done to improve the horrible FM Reception? Reception is easily half what it was in any other vehicle I've driven. Might there be an adjustment near the antenna outlet on the back of the radio to 'tune' the antenna? What about a coil to increase the apparent wavelength? How about a longer antenna? That would destroy the cute look of the stubby antenna but do you want cute or do you want music?
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Two thoughts: I believe, but am not totally sure, that the stub antenna is AM only, as when I remove it only AM falls away and FM is fine. The FM antenna could be elsewhere, such as in the window. Why don't you take it to the dealer, park it next to another 2006, and let them hear your FM and then turn on the new one to the same station....that should be the proof. I live in the Calif mountain boonies, and FM can pick up San Francisco 180 miles away...Just a thought.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    well, you really should trust your servicing dealership - and if you don't change to another. part of it is being well prepared with information before you speak with the service writer, relating what is happening, listening to questions, responding while being assertive but not pushy or dramatic... you want to be communicating confidence that they'll find and correct the issue.

it isn't normal, and they know this. if they know you know this - they'll not attempt to pull the "it's the station's pumps" line on you a second time.

i don't know your vehicle, but my impression is, a Nissan center will have all the information and parts to do the job so give the dealership the opportunity to show you they know what they are doing. you can ask your friendly mechanic what they'd do. hey - your car is under warranty right?

this situation can be tricky. it most likely is because air is not being displaced from the tank at a rate equal to the fuel which is being added.

it could be the tank, but more likely is a crimped filler tube (goes from the cap to tank), or an issue with the vent solenoid/valve or the lines going to the vent valve.

be clear about it not being a station pump issue. i presume you fill up at more than one location with more than one brand and experience it no matter where you fill. if so, tell them this.

good luck.
  • duke28duke28 Member Posts: 5
    I called Nissan Corporate to report this recurring problem. I am on the third gas tank in less than 2 months of having the car and still having problems. Sometimes it works, other times it stops and gas splashes out. They told me I should hear from them by tomorrow as to how to proceed. I really like the car, but I'm tired of the constant issues filling up. The dealership originally told me it was the gas stations I go to and they made me go to the gas station by the dealership that they always use. It happened there too. Then they were confused. They then said it may be the way the tank is designed and that I may have to "work with it" in order to pump the gas. I don't think so.....
    Can you let us know what happens? I am scheduled to bring my Murano in on the 29th for a repair on the same prob...I dont want to waste my time if they are not prepared to fix it the first time....this is a very annoying problem.
    Thanks for the advice. I will bring all of this to their attention when I bring it in, nicely of course. If my dealership corrects the issue I will be sure to post the manner in which it was repaired. ;)
    when you have to partially remove the handle from the filler hole, or if you have gas slashing back, you have an issue which i believe besides representing an inconvenience issue, it represents an environmental and safety issue combined.

duke28 - did you try another dealership?
  • nikeshoxnikeshox Member Posts: 4
    My 06 Murano's brakes squeak after sitting for a few hours. Usually after sitting for a few hours first time I pump the brakes when backing up it makes a loud squeaking noise. My dealer says it's normal and by design. Has anyone encountered same type of problem?

Thanks
  • murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    I have an '05 and I have the same thing. It is not really a squeak but more of a rubbing noise. It happens the first couple times I brake while leaving my complex then it goes away. It just might be moisture, especially if you live somewhere warm. The breaks get hot, then when you stop , they sweat from the heat and humidity so it takes a couple of stops for them to lose that water.
  • sinlaysinlay Member Posts: 2
    I have a Murano SL 2003. Recently, the Service Engine light came on. I checked the gas cap and it seemed to be ok. Does anyone have any problem like this?
  • sinlaysinlay Member Posts: 2
    Any Murano owners have the same problem? Mine came on a few days ago. The car seems to run fine.
    "seems to run fine" is the operative word. when our vehicles throw a check engine light, they have been designed to bring something important to our attention.

ignoring it is not advisable.

if it were me, if putting on the gas cap tightly and going through a number of start cycles (i'm not sure how many but you can google it) the light does not go out, i'd bring it to autozone to have the codes scanned. i'd then research those codes, and i'd bring it in for service, unless the codes and what the research turned up proved to be something i could tackle myself.
  • duke28duke28 Member Posts: 5
    I ended up bringing in the Murano to the Nissan Dealership Service dept. for the third time on Tuesday. I was trying to put gas in the car on Saturday and was only able to get $2.22 worth of gas into the car. Gas spilled out of the tank all over me. I ended up driving right over to the dealership and the Svc Mgr rode with me to the gas station to help me get gas into it. He FINALLY said that this is really messed up. So, I ended up dropping of the car yesterday and they are goint to document everything and I am filing for the Lemon Law. They suggested I do so as well. Nissan Corporate never called me back until yesterday and the person who called was new and said they are working with the dealership to see what's going on with it. So all in all, I'm still in the same situation.
    this is definitely a safety situation. a vehicle's gas filler tube / gas tank is not supposed to spill fuel all over the vehicle or you, the ground...nowhere.
  • aymanzaymanz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Murano . Since I bought the car i have been facing the same problem the A/C cooling and bad smell . I have been trying with dealer to admit the problem , but each time they come up with different excsue . Did anyone face the same problems ?? :mad:
  • murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    I have had the same thing. At first I wasn't sure what it was, but when I start my car and the AC kicks in it has this musty sweaty smell, sort of a gym locker room smell that comes out for the first minute or so. I didn't think anything of it, but now knowing that I am not alone I want to find out why. What is the problem with the A/C cooling that you get?
    you might wish to try running your unit with the A/C off for a period of time before shutting down the vehicle. perhaps you could ask your dealer if there is any obstruction / debris in the evaporator pan which is allowing water to sit for an extended period.

check also that your floor mats (front and back) and even the material in the trunk are not wet.
  • kariukikariuki Member Posts: 4
    I am sorry to hear this, but you should definately file lemon and they need to compensate you for that. God forbid if there was lite cigarette on the floor when you were gasing we would be talking of something else, that is a safety issue that needs to be attended to. Keep on pushing it until they do something, don't let them walk all over you.
  • howisteinhowistein Member Posts: 1
    I've read a lot of postings about people having the engine surge when coming to a stop or when accelerating from a stop, but I haven't seen any with the same "problem" I have.
    When at highway speeds approx 65-75 mph, it doesn't seem to matter if I have cc on or not, I notice the rpm's surging between ~2100 gradually up to ~3000 then back down. It does this about every five seconds, even when on flat terrain.
    Any with similar or any guidance/suggestions?
  • suzeqsuzeq Member Posts: 2
    Had check engine light a lot. The gas cap had to be replaced as the "seal" was damaged. Quite expensive gas cap!
  • suzeqsuzeq Member Posts: 2
    The dealer fixed this for me at no charge. Said something about a technical service bulletin on this.
  • ram383838ram383838 Member Posts: 5
    My less then 1 year 2005 Murano has a hole in the Air Condensor, which Nissan says was caused by a stone coming in through the front grill (the big holes at the bottom of the front grill). Thus the "damage" is not covered by warranty. With the size and numbers of the grill openings, and the condensor right in the front, has anyone else experienced this issue? Seems to me if the unit is that fragile a "protective" mesh should be in place to protect the condensor. I'm contacting Nissan Consumer group to get this covered under warranty. Cost of condensor repair = $850., a drive on the interstate, NOT priceless.
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    Next time buy a Hummer. :)
  • kbarrettakbarretta Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I own a 2004 Nissan Murano with 28,000 miles on it. Yesterday while I was driving, I noticed that my car was not driving right. It felt like what happens if you try to back up out of your driveway with the emergency break on. It became worse and then when I stopped at a stop sign the car died. I restarted the engine and drove slowing directly to the Nissan Dealer to have them check it out.

When I pulled in to the shop and explained to them that something serious seemed to be wrong with the car, the said it smelled like my brakes and that I probably needed new brakes. I told them that when your breaks are going out, it doesn't just happen quickly and it doesn't act like your brakes are on. It was 2pm and they said they didn't have time to look at it until first thing in the morning. This meant I would need a rental. They told me I would have to pay for it myself. After much arguing and calling the manager...they told me that there were 2 recalls on my car since January 2006. They would use them for a one day rental coverage. Today I find out that I need a new transmission and that I would need to leave my car there for 2 weeks or more. They said that Nissan would not pay for my car rental. I became very upset and spoke to many people and had to threaten picketing there dealership if I did not receive a free rental until my car was ready. The manager called this evening to tell me that the best they could do was 10 days. I asked him if the Murano had transmission problems and if this was going to be yet another recall on the car. He said no. Now after searching the internet it looks like there are a lot of us with the same problem. If anyone else has this same problem, please contact me so that I can show the emails to Nissan. We can't let them get away with this.
    Hi,

I just had my transmission quit yesterday. I have a 2004 Murano with 28,000 miles. It will be covered for the new transmission, but they tried to tell me Nissan would not cover the car rental. They told me that they would need my car for 2 weeks or more. I threaten to picket in front of the dealership if they did not cover my rental. This evening they called and told me they would cover only up to 10 days. They also told me that Muranos do not have a transmission problem. After reading all the complaints, I disagree with them and don't trust them. I plan on making copies of all the comments about failed transmissions and taking back to the dealership and sending copies to Nissan to demand full coverage for my rental until my car is fixed. I will never buy another Nissan.
    Hello,

I have a 2004 Murano with 28,000 miles on it. Just yesterday my transmission went out. It will be covered by my warranty, but the way I was treated by Nissan was awful. I decided to check on the internet if anyone else is having problems. Now I see that the Murano has had several recalls and I think the transmission will be next. I too, love the look and comfort of the car. My plans are to trade it in and get something that I do more research on before making another purchase. I do know that it will not be a Nissan.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    I'm not sure what it is like where you live but I don't think that it is normal for Nissan to pick up the tab for rentals. Even with warranty work. I believe that they will if you purchased an extended warranty though but without the extended warranty you are left to pay for rentals yourself. There are not very many manufacturers in this area that do cover/offer free rentals. I would suggest that if they are offering 10 days free rental that you should consider yourself lucky.
    Hello,

Owning a 2yr old car that has had 3 reacalls and now the transmission is shot...I would not consider that lucky! I owned an Acura before. That company gives you top notch service. When you bring your car in for schedule service or if you have a problem...they don't call Enterprise for a rental...they give you a new Acura to drive while they work on your car.

As much as I like the Murano, I see future recalls and problems that will not be covered by Nissan. I believe that they also lie about what really is happening with their cars. Yes, I will be trading it in for another Acura.

Thank you for your response.
  • timbo4timbo4 Member Posts: 30
    Seems to me that if Nissan could replace a transmission in a reasonable time that a free rental wouldn't be appropriate. I had a Lexus before my Murano & they always gave me a car when the car was in for repairs or service. I think that is what you can expect when buying a premium brand car which Nissan isn't. But when Nissan doesn't support their dealerships with parts to fix a car within reasonable time, 2 weeks isn't reasonable, then they do have an obligation to offer the customer some sort of help. I like my Murano but Nissan's lack of customer support will keep me from purchasing another Nissan product. Be careful Nissan..........you are slowly destroying you customer base. They say a dissatisfied customer tells at least 6 people. Word gets around!
    Nissan in NC, replaced the air condensor for $800 but I had a quote at an Ohio dealership for $567. Can anyone provide insight on why the huge difference in cost. Also, the condensor unit it is still exposed as it sits right behind the grill openings, so my question is what will prevent this from happening again. I'm going to pursue with Nissan Consumer affairs, so if anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate any insight.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    I read a lot of friends here are having problem with their transmission. I would encourage everyone to call NHTSA. This is the only way Nissan will act on your concern. My Murano is my first Nissan car and I hope it's not the last. I hope that Nissan will be a pro-active company regarding our concerns. If not, they don't deserve our business. We may not mind our problems with the car but if we are being jerked around instead of getting support from them, it may be time to consider other company. We have friends and relatives and our friends and relatives also have friends and relatives and so on. Our power of words cannot be underestimated.

I have told many of my friends and colleagues to join the forum here before they decide to buy Nissan. I advised them to keep an open mind and balance the pros and cons on any info they read but I have the power to pull them either way bacause I own a Nissan. My words are the difference between a Nissan sale or not.
  • sbrowne01sbrowne01 Member Posts: 5
    Yes i have had 2 yes 2 with stone holes, each time the dealer replaced under warranty. His response is with such a big opening it will happen again, they have replaced 15 with stone damage. This time they put a metal sheild with tiny holes in the opening, they made it up on there dime.
    After 2 years of living with a miss in the engine at idle and up to 80 mph i have had it with my problem. The dealer has stated Nissan has run out of items to check and replace, they have given up and told me to get them to buy it back.The following items have been replaced. all coil packs 2 times, spark plus 2 times, maf sensor and every sensor in the vechicle, fuel injectors and fuel rail, regulator and fuel pump. It does it every time it is in the shop even for a Nissan tech from head office that spent 8 hours on it.Never has the service engine light come on.Has anyone else had a simular problem ? :lemon:
  • platinumbird1platinumbird1 Member Posts: 25
    I have a Nissan Murano 2005. Recently I cross rotate my tires since its over 7500 miles. I reset the tire rotation message alert back to zero (0) miles BUT since then, the miles on the message alert are not increasing the mileage and it still remain zero. Why is that?. Anyone can help about this issue?
    just out of curiousity: why don't they replace the engine control unit (ECU) and check the wiring to same?
  • aneeseaneese Member Posts: 7
    I tried to reset my maintence reminder per the instructions in my manual and nothing happened. It still kept flashing and the miles didn't reset. O had to turn the reminder off.
    Thanks for the response. Could you please send me your dealers name as mine is very relunctant to replace per warranty. I have installed a mesh protector per some postings on the murano.org site that I also review (great site with specific Murano postings).
    I'm talking with Nissan consumer affairs and it would be nice to show this has occured before. Given the design, I can't really believe they haven't heard of this(or so that is what I'm being told).

Appreciate the help,
    ram
    I live in Canada. The only reason my dealer replaced mine 2 times and some freinds. I lease 250 cars for my company and i own 2 FX45.Canadian Nissan and US is two seperate companys i had problems wth US nissan when i needed warranty work for my fly by wire throttle replaced. Nissan US where SOB to me.
  • soh2soh2 Member Posts: 3
    I started having acceleration problems with my 2006 Murano at 300 miles. No codes, of course. After initial visit to dealer was told must have a code or mechanic duplication of problem. Went on to this forum, read up on all your posts, am sure it is TPS, printed off about 15 posts, went back to dealership. They spent the day running tests directed by Nissan engineers, found nothing, said the posts are all by people who don't know what they are talking about. I then said I would pay for the TPS to be replaced because I am concerned about the safety of driving a car that doesn't accelerate dependably. They at first refused to replace it, then said they will only replace the TPS if they can attach a disclaimer to the car stating that they are not responsible for anything other than the part and labor. Also, part not available in stock, must be ordered, and costs $900? I thought someone said theirs was less than $300. Can a dealership limit repairs for a customer in this way? I am taking it to my local mechanic next. Thanks for nothing John Elway Nissan of Englewood, Colorado!
    This is what realy pees me off about Nissan, they know they have a problem with this part.Just talk to any one in a parking lot that owns a Murano and its like you can finish there sentances for them, they have the same problem. And always no service light no can fix, what an attitude? I own 2 FX45 what a different attitude there, i have only had two small problems with a 2yr old truck. The last time they said i am the 3 rd person to mention this problem leave it with us, it took 1 week to find it but i had a car from them and it was fixed. The FX 35 has the same engine VQ and they can fix them all the time,same company different attitude.
    They have replaced it 2 times over 1 year period,also wire harness every wire double checked. I have over 45 pages of parts replaced. At present time truck is parked waiting for buy back,
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    During the hot high country summers, I take off the license plate in front to get better A/C...so I am even more open...the stone-hole stories in the condenser are not surprising, having had two windshields X-d out lately that way. I got an aluminum gutter leaf cover, which is a grille-like deal, in a 3 foot length, cut it to slide in, so thank you folks for alerting me.
    The aluminum, less obnoxious tank shield is at my dealer now, and will install July 28..20,000 miles. I insisted on "no plastic" and they got it..followup to come on just what it looks like. No tank removal necessary, so I bet it is clone of the plastic model, but I am having them bend it back to conform, rather than stick straight down.
    Fortunately, for my 05, only the Throttle Position Sensor failure back at 7K..otherwise, perfect car. Sorry others have had problems. John B
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Hey Jim7689, I know this is the wrong place to ask....but I noticed that you said you got $1500 of for the 3600 miles on the car when you got it. I am negotiating for one with about 2000 miles and he offered 330 under invoice. Most around here seem to be offering at least invoice, but one offer is $500 under invoice for no miles. Based on your experience, how much lower do you think I can get for the 2000 miles???? Thanks.
  • platinumbird1platinumbird1 Member Posts: 25
    I found the solutions for this problem. Turn it back ON the maintenance alert and when you get to tire rotation section or Oil Change. press the MAINT button for a few seconds and will reset the numbers to zero (0) again. Once you drive your car again, it will start changing the number again. Good Luck!
  • aneeseaneese Member Posts: 7
    Is there an alternative antenna for the Murano?
  • augusta2augusta2 Member Posts: 9
    I was having acceleration problems and went to the dealership and told them it was TPS - they ended up replacing my transmission and transfer case - and it has been fine since. I have a 2003 murano
  • augusta2augusta2 Member Posts: 9
    My transmission and transfer case were just replaced - I have a 2003 with 38,500 when it happened. They gave me a loaner for the entire time - 2 1/2 weeks. I paid for nothing but an oil change.