Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    if you fully depress the accelerator, and the RPMs only get to 2000 and you aren't going anywhere, I would think you need to have a new Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) put on your vehicle. In otherwords, the replacement TPS (assuming that is part of the whole Throttle Body which was replaced) could also be defective. It happens.

Or - perhaps there was a calibration step they missed on the new TPS.

if on the otherhand you fully depress the accelerator, and the RPMs shoot up to almost full scale (say 7-8K RPMs) but you go almost nowhere, I'd say your issue is the transmission.

here's another thought, if you fully depress the accelerator, and the RPMs barely increase, if it isn't the TPS, then it could be the accelerator pedal assembly.

have them put an OBD-II reader or what ever electronic maint. tool they use to look at system parameters. they should be able to track the problem down.

thank them for diligently working to get to the root cause.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I would add here that the Murano will NEVER "accelerate properly" as you seem to be using the term, due to the CVT. It does take some getting used to....completely different "feel" from ordinary transmissions....
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    whitall; My 04 MO has 34,000 miles W/ no sun roof leaks. The air deflector has a weep hole at each end at its low point. If these two holes get blocked up water will pool at ea. end and could leak thru the gasket where the hold down strip of metal goes past the gasket on each end. Those chopped up leaves could clog the holes.
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Thanks, but those holes are clear, I checked that. It spent the day at Nissan, but at 5:00 I was told they "were having trouble locating the leak" and are keeping it another day. I didn't get to find out if they duplicated the problem or not because the "tech" working on it had left at 4:30. I do have a photo of it wet, so they will know I didn't dream it. (plus there is that water stain). I wasn't happy that they gave up on it at 4:30, yet I didn't find that out until I initiated a phone call at 5pm. I am in a rental...a Hyundai Tuscon. It's no Murano, but it gets me from point A to point B.

The leak worries me because it is traveling through the roof until it leaks out the pillar. I don't like the water inside my sheet metal. I got a good lease deal with a plan to buy it out if I liked it....looking like leasing it may have been very wise indeed.
  • katkatokatkato Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a Nissan Murano 2004sl used. Loved the car until it wouldn't start. Dealer told me faulty key and reprogrammed it. Car contintued to not start, just turn over. On the third time, Dealer made me brand a new key and told me that key was very sensitive, has a chip etc. etc.and should not be kept up against anything magnetic (i.e. gas cards, etc). I'm still having trouble starting it....battery also went out, dealer claimed it was because of the 101 degree temperature. Anyone have the same problem or advice for a frustrated murano owner.
    I have a home near Palm Springs. 120 is quite common from June through September. I have never had a battery fail. Keep in mind "maintenance free" isn't, and will still occasionally need distilled water.

Me, I always go to the top. Speak to the Service Manager or dealership GM. I have also had occasion to make a new key twice, on my original Mo and my new 2006. Never a problem there. Sounds like your dealer is handing out large plates of BS.

Is there another Nissan dealer, within a reasonable distance, you can take it to?
  • njmedicnjmedic Member Posts: 18
    Just got some very disconcerting news about the price for replacing my Murano's Xenon headlight! I know they are in demand - lots of theft of same - so I expected they wouldn't be cheap, but now I'm being told that whatever turns them on (something behind the light itself)is also broken/defective. My question is, should I ask to see the old bulb and if so, is it clearly visible if it is "burned out?" My thinking is, how did they know that the second issue wasn't the cause of the headlight not working? This whole project is costing me over $600. HELP!
    Hi, I should have read your message before asking if anyone else had this problem. My headlight just plain went out and when I took it to the dealership they replaced the bulb, only to find that the control unit had caused the problem. Now I want to know if the bulb itself really was dead or if the faulty control unit was always the problem. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
    Hi, I had the sunroof leak that I was so worried about. On the second day at the shop they discovered a kink or a crimp in the drain hose. (Where I told them the problem was likely to be). They had to overnight a part in so it should be done today.

Does anybody know what they have to do to replace a sunroof drain hose?? Do they have to tak eout the sunroof? Also, due to the fact the headliner is stained in the corner and the A-pillar liner is stained too, they decided to replace those liners. They say they want me to be happy. A good cleaning would be sufficient if the stain wouldn't reappear (as happens to me with carpet cleaning). I am worried that they won't do a good job and that it won't fit tightly etc. Does anybody out there have experience having a headliner replaced?? They better not create any new leaks around that sunroof when they replace the drain and headliner. All this with less than 1000 miles...makes me so uptight just imagining my poor car all taken apart. :sick:
    Best advice is: "Don't worry, be happy!" ;)

That is alot of worrying for one very small problem.
  • newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    We are considering ditching the Odyssey and getting into a Murano. Regarding color, although we are considering the Sunset Red, I've read quite a few horror stories on the Infiniti G35 Coupe board (my car) about severe paint chipping on red G35s. Is this a problem with all Nissan cars, or is it unique to the G35 coupe? Anyone out there having trouble with paint chipping? Also, I think I like the Hazelnut leather interior, but I've never seen one in person, and in searching on line dealer inventories within a one hundred mile radius, have not seen a single one. I know the brochure says late/limited availability, but how late is late, and is rare equal to none? Anyone seen one of these rare creatures?
    I have seen the Hazlenut leather... and late may be later than any of us think, as it still hasn't made it onto the Nissan website, when you look at Murano's or try and configure one. You are never bound by the dealer inventory, however, and could just order one, made the way you like it, you know. ;)

So far as chipping is concerned, I have owned two Mo's and never had the horrible problems people have reported on the G35 board. Bear in mind people tend to be overly-dramatic and picky at enthuasist forums. Chipping would be more a product of the roads one drives on, and the area than color. I live part of the year in rural Northern Nevada, and there are certainly more rocks and stones on the rural roadways, due to lack of curbs, wide-open spaces, etc. There are lots of gravel driveways that pick up small rocks and deposit them onto the neighborhood roads.

If your needs are immediate, either of the Red colors, with the Latte interior look stunning! :)
  • newfrontiernewfrontier Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the quick reply. And I agree that the forums can be overly dramatic. Although there were many, MANY posts about chipping red paint on G35 coupes (I was beginning to think that the board should have been renamed "the G35 Paint forum" because that's all that the posts were about), they were all reported by only a handful of folks. It sounded like it was a universal problem where in reality it was probably only a problem for a few loquacious individuals. But I can't blame them - I'd be upset too if I paid that much for a car to have its paint chip off so easily. Regarding the hazelnut interior, although ordering is an option, its likely that the dealer will be much more willing to deal on a car that is on his lot than on one that he has to order. So I guess its a matter of what premium I'm willing to pay for it. I'd still like to see one before I commit.
    No.

That is the "retired" Mo color, called Brick on the G-45 Infiniti. :)

I saw the Chestnut on one of the auto sites recently...check Yahoo/MSN and Edmunds reviews, etc.
  • katkatokatkato Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I live in Texas, temp about 100, certainly didn't make sense to me. Im going to have another key made and then I will defintely take it to another dealer next time around,plenty of nissan dealerships around.I love the car but was becoming pretty frustrated with this key issue, not even my 97 ford taurus had this problem.
  • lisa05lisa05 Member Posts: 6
    Here's my TPS story: My 05 MO has cut out on me twice in the last year. Took to dealer both times - once was told it was battery related b/c I "must have left my lights on" and other time told I "flooded the engine"-no repairs done either time. Today I was driving home from a lovely 10 day vacation and was tooling down the NJ Turnpike at a high rate of speed when I had a total loss of power with all warning lights coming on. I managed to coast to the shoulder safely (miracle!) -shut the car off and restarted in a few minutes but "service engine soon" light remained on. I called my home dealership (in MD) from the shoulder of the NJ highway and was told it was unsafe to drive a long distance and I should go to the closest Nissan dealership to have it looked at (how convenient!). Nissan Roadside Assistance directed me to a dealership about 5 miles away. I called and spoke to the servie dept who told me to come right in and asked if I'd ever had my TPS replaced! He knew even over the phone that was the problem! John at Sansone's Auto Mall in Avanel, NJ took awesome care of me and my Murano. In less than 2 hours (on a Sat with MANY others waiting!) he evaluated the error (a throttle code he told me) and replaced the TPS and I was on my way safely home. My home dealership could take lessons from him on customer service and respect (Victory Nissan, Gaithersburg, MD). My symptoms over the past year were classic TPS and I pointed this out at my home dealership. I was very lucky today - this was an accident waiting to happen. When will Nissan take this seriously? If you are having these symptoms PLEASE get the TPS replaced before you get hurt.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Well, good for you, Lisa. These postings over the past two years helped me discover the TPS problem in my 05 MO and I owe a debt of gratitude to those who showed me the way. In the interim, many CVTs and Transfer cases have been replaced because, under warranty, this makes much more $$$ for the dealer than replacing the faulty TPS (Throttle Position Sensor device). Your MO is probably a great car, but this passion to be "up-front and modern" and eliminate the accelerator cable in exchange for electronic sensors, has almost got some of us killed. TPS failure, on the freeway or wherever, is for real...I do not believe that beyond 2006 models, you will see problems...the 2005 was the zenith...and hopefully, that is about all that is wrong with this otherwise great, but VERY complicated car. Nissan has never, however, bitten the bullet (as it did with the tank shields) and admitted TPS failure. They replace them as they happen, fortunately, under warranty...
    Good for you!!! John B...
    Well, you had better not think about this TPS deal next time you fly. All modern jets fly by wire.... :P
    Terry: bad enough with guys blowing up the plane, but if they have Nissan TPS units in the cockpit, I may carry my old parachute next flight. JB
    *GROANS* :surprise:

Hisssssssssss
  • silvermuranosilvermurano Member Posts: 15
    Hi Baldwin3,

I had the tank shield recall service on 31 March 06 for my 04 Murano. Looking at your 28 July posting, looks like I screwed up by having it done as soon as I received my recall notice. So I have the ugly plastic drop curtain shield. Had I waited longer and not had the recall service, I could have the metal shield. I just call my dealership and voiced my complaint. They know nothing about the metal shield. I gave them the part# you supplied. They are checking. Let's see what they say tomorrow.

If I have to contact Nissan Motors directly I plan to raise h___ and demand better service for a 21 year Nissan only buyer.

Thanks for your posting.

Larry (Silver Murano)
  • soh2soh2 Member Posts: 3
    Your reply sounds just like the mechanics at my dealership - they kept trying to tell me I just didn't understand the transmission. If your Murano is doing this, you know when it is misbehaving. If yours doesn't, you will not understand! Mine does the same thing now- after driving perfectly for the first 300 miles. Once it started happening, it has just gotten worse and worse, but because no codes or lights, the dealership will not touch the TPS.
  • karenwilsonkarenwilson Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 has 36,000 mi. It is about to get a complete transmission replace (under warranty thankfully). It was acting like it was in neutral at stop signs, then it would kick in. At first they said if there is no dash light then they had no reason to believe anything was wrong of course they couldn't duplicate the problem. When I brought it back they were able to find out that the computer was providing codes to diagnose the problem. So this is something to watch out for. If it wasn't covered I wouldn't be saying this: I happen to LOVE my Murano; it rides great and looks cool.
    I wasn't lucky nor was I a pest, I just told the OWNER of Central Valley Nissan that I would not have a plastic hang down protector. Lo and behold, the shield is steel, it fits like a glove, it took from arrival at 7:30AM to out at 9:30AM, including seat belt recall and Oil, lube and filter. So it wasn't "complicated". The part #s I put in that post came from my service bill (N/C warranty) and I stand behind them. PUSH PUSH PUSH...especially when you know YOUR ARE RIGHT and HAVE THE FACTS. Good luck. JB
  • silvermuranosilvermurano Member Posts: 15
    I spoke with my Nissan dealership as well as Nissan Corp. My dealership agreed with my displeasure concerning the hang down shield and has been in contact with Nissan and is awaiting a response. Nissan Corp. at first said that if the recall had been completed that it was final and that the parts installed were the only ones available. I then explained that after I had had the ugly shield installed I knew that they had changed the recall part and gave them your part numbers. The rep suddenly started to listen to my complaint and agreed with me. Nissan said that they would contact my local rep as well as my dealership and try to resolve the problem. I spoke with my dealership this morning and was told that they have, in stock for recall replacement, CC25B, a plastic shield that replaces CC25A, the metal shield. So, Nissan has made a 3rd change in the recall replacement part. They continue to help build my case for replacing my ugly hang down shield. Had they stopped with the hang down replacement, I would have no grounds for complaint. Since my recall service, they have made two changes in the recall part.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I think everyone that is dissatisfied with the hang down shield should raise the issue with Nissan. It makes no difference to me whether the shield is plastic or metal, just as long as it doesn't hang down and look really ugly.

silvermurano
    SM: agree. Metal is nice, but form-fitting plastic would do just fine. After all, we are preventing the 1:500,000 shooter nail from the front tires that blows up your Silver Murano..and plastic will work. I am glad my parts # helped bolster your case, and all the "Hang Down" guys out there should perk up and bug their dealers..."Once completed, it is final" is not good enough, particularly when that which was completed was junk. JB
    Exactly.

Many plastics are more durable and stronger than aluminum. :)
    Gee, this site is filled with information. The first thing that struck me when I saw the hangdown shield installed for recall repair/compliance was how dang ugly the thing was! I had no idea that there were other less unsightly options.

Sandi
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    if it hangs down, it reasons that it presents more wind resistance, and thus lowered fuel economy. :surprise:

also, if it hangs down, conceivably in winter areas, a part to catch snow and ice, or get damaged or detached by same.
    Perhaps this is also an intended "snow plow" attachment.....

:P
  • murano_ownermurano_owner Member Posts: 64
    Can you please repost the part number for the tank shield.

I got duped with the snowplow shield and want Nissan to put the new shield on.

Thanks
    My original post on the tank part was 1427. The one they put on my Murano actually looks like a separate shield for the left and right side, as there is driveshaft or something that "splits" the tank. My shield is steel, not aluminum as I had originally implied...shiny and hard and form-fits. The work order has this #: A7285-CC25A.
    I see from previous posts that plastic form-fitting is being used: and that is CC25B. Either would be fine, and better than the snowplow. Good luck. Hey...this site pays off for M owners. JB
    "this site pays off for M owners." JB

It sure does! Thanks Edmunds for providing this service! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We provide the venue but all you posters are making it happen. Keep the posts coming. ;)
  • mbnbf_4mbnbf_4 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the exact same problem for my 2006 Murano. It's been in 2 times, soon to go back for the 3rd time. The last time it was in, it made it better, now when I have the problem I can get about 5 gallons in until it stops (versus 2-3 gallons before).

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to pinpoint what's changed since the 2005 model (Assuming it hasn't had these problems) and correct the problem.

I am going to pursue the lemon law as well now.
  • duke28duke28 Member Posts: 5
    Well, I decided to puruse the lemon law and sent in to Nissan Corporate the defect notices after having it in the shop 3 times. This week the Rep from Nissan came in from Texas and evaluated the car and told me that this is completely normal for this car and it can only take so much gas at a time. He said they are being designed this way and there is nothing wrong with the car. I'm so disgusted over this. I think I may trade the car. I really like the car, but this gas situation is really getting old. I hope you get resolution on this.
    I have had this problem in the past, with several makes of cars, but I do not have it with my 2006 Mo.

What caused it in the past is the particular nozzle and pump, not the car. It had to do with the type of vapor recovery/vacuum device they used at that station....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If it's completely normal, they would all do that, and it wouldn't matter which station you went to. This discussion would be full of owners complaining about the same issue.

Next time make the rep pull a couple of Muranos off the lot and demonstrate how they won't fill up either.
    I'd buy a ticket for that! ;)
    I picked up my car Thur evening after it spent over a week at Nissan getting a new sunroof drain and headliner (mainly waiting on parts.) I noticed some scrathces on the aluminum trim that is on the bumper just outside of the hatch. I don't think I put them there as I'd only had the car for 3 weeks, and it sat unused one of those weeks while we were away. I decided not to worry about them as it was only the cashier there anyway in the evening (and figured what could she do, and I was tired of the loaner), though I did briefly mention it. I thought I'd be putting marks there myself sooner or later.

This afternoon (2 days later-after a rain) when I got stuff out of the hatch it looks like the scratches have started to rust! Is that possible? I would think they wouldn't use a rustable material in an area of the car so likely to get scratched. Will they replace it for me if I go back on Monday and say the scratch was there when I picked it up? Are they likely to have climbed in and out of the back when they did the headliner? I am thinking they had to climb in oand out that way, surely more than I've had to. I'm mainly annoyed at the prospect of future rusty marks on that area......Any ideas, suggestions?? I'm getting frustrated here. Thanks
    Aluminum cannot rust.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Aluminum cannot rust.

Some people use the term "rust" generally to mean oxidation of metals though most reserve the term for iron. Aluminum certainly does oxidize. Rusted iron, of course, is reddish in color while oxidized aluminum is white. The original poster may simply have meant oxidation when she said "rust" and I hope she will clarify!

tidester, host
    Indeed, Tidester...and perhaps tell us if she lives within a few miles of the ocean!

Important to keep in mind, Oxidation generally can be repaired. I would be astounded if she doesn't live near the ocean, and it oxidized so quickly. Scratching can remove the protective coatings, but to happen so fast..... :cry:
    I said rust, because it was rust colored, and is only in the scratch itself,not in a big patch or anything. I don't know what else it could be....and it did appear overnight or at the longest in 2 days.

As a matter of fact, I was visiting my parents who live about 2 miles from Barnegat Bay, which of course is near the ocean.

I wonder if this is pure aluminum?

Do you think the service department will acknowledge that their guys are likely to have caused the scratches, and believe me when I say it wasn't there before? They have been very good to me so far.

If it IS rust, would that be considered a defect and warrant replacement regardless? I have 1050 miles on my 06 that I've had since July 15, 2006. Thanks
    They might be able to clean it up. It's only trim, you know, at the worst not a big ticket item to replace.

BUT it shouldn't oxidize or rust so quickly, IMO. Talk to only the Service Manager, and explain exactly what happened. :)
    How is the trim mounted? If steel brackets or screws were used they could rust (though two days still seems very fast!) with runoff accumulating in the scratched areas. Just a thought.

tidester, host
  • homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    When opening the forum and the list of Murano subjects the number of members shows there are 10. Are there only 10 different people responding? Host, please clearify this for me. Thanks. Re. the alum protector on the back bumper was added after the '04 models.

Most SUV s & vans have a rubber or black plastic protector to save the painted surface. The alum is easily marked up W/ items being loading into the back. The shop replacing the head liner should have covered the alum. They should admit there error and give you a new one.
    Are there only 10 different people responding?

No. That refers to the number of people who have "bookmarked" a particular discussion. By bookmarking a discussion one becomes a "member" of the group.

tidester, host
  • gino103gino103 Member Posts: 2
    When reaching speed between 30-40 mmph, I hear a whirring noise similar to a washing machine at spin cycle from the front driver side of my murano 05 with 28,000mi. The dealer said it was a wheel hub bearing and replaced it. The noise still continued and he said he did not know what the problem was. He called tech support and due to time change waited 2 hrs to call. He then told me this was normal to muranos and there was no trouble. Does anyone else have this noise???