Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I could ask the dealer, but I always think they would like to charge me big bucks to do it, so they wouldn't want to help. I was in for 17,000 oil change (car just turned 2 years old) and they checked off that it needed changing. Don't know for sure that I believe they even looked....but I wasn't going to pay markup and labor when I thought it was a do it yourself. Maybe I'll ask Jiffylube or somewhere else. Maybe even AutoZone. Thanks
  • homeouner2homeouner2 Member Posts: 14
    My 04 MO has 60 K miles and a few weeks ago the very quiet engine has a little " purr" under slight accellation around 35 MPH. I find nothing rubbing or leaking in the exhaust system, and the motor mounts seem to be supporting the engine O K. Has any one out there come across this happening. Thanks.
  • jodell1814jodell1814 Member Posts: 10
    I havent had the problem, I was just locked out of my gas tank. They say that the lid door gets stuck. and it cost $100.00 to have the sensor replaced. the gas cap comes off its just the door doesnt open. the only way to get inside it to take apart the backpanelling ( by the hatch back section apart and pus the door open. Why cant the have a manual lever like most carrs. My next car wont be a nissan,unless its simple.....My murano 04 trying to trade in I want a Honda accord
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Anyone here know why the climate control would stop working?

The outside temperature says -22°F outside, when it was about 70°F outside.
    So I can't get the AC to work. Anyone else experience this and what the fix was?

My CEL light is also on again right after I had the dealer fix it for $500. Transmission might be going again as well. Only 70,000 miles.

Not sure if my next car will be another Nissan.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    if you search other message boards, its the accuator. my dealer first replaced the relay and then when it occurred again, they finally replaced the accuator.

you can buy a honds accord, but don't think they are perfect. just read the threads written by those who purchased an 08 accord with automatic tranny.
    they are screaming about enging surging due to the cylinder deactivation program. I'll take a stuck gas door any day of the week. in general, nissans with the v6 and cvt have been very reliable.

and yes, I have an 03 and i put up with a lot of repairs, e.g., recall on alternator, seat repair, clicking from front wheel (front wheel adjusting nut not tight enough) etc. still, given all the problems people have with cars, its has been ok, since the dealer has mostly been reasonable. I don't think that nissan corporate is worth a dam though. rr70
  • christhefistchristhefist Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 marano and i got abot 50K on it. When i step on the brakes, it makes this clicking sound? and its only when i step on the brakes and it happens about 80% of the time. Does anyone know what it could be? Thanks C
  • totalylosttotalylost Member Posts: 4
    I have an 06 SL with only 18K miles, well taken care of. I started experiencing with car feeling sluggish, no power at acceleration. I was told the throttle needed maintenance and was not covered in the warranty. This is my first and probably last Nissan. Always owned toyota's brand new and drove them for 10+ yrs and never experienced any problems. Any repairs are also very expensive in comparision to Toyotas,or Am I being ripped off because I am a woman. :mad: :( :sick: what's next :confuse:
  • jenahljenahl Member Posts: 3
    No, no, you're not being ripped off, I have an 07 Murano SL with 44K miles and the throttle service is part of the maintenance schedule. Expensive I must say but I just get it done all at once and they charged me $200, which included an oil change, tire rotation, new microfilter, and the usual inspection.
  • d1aned1ane Member Posts: 6
    Recent Murano owner, (2005) and having some key fob issues. I think the battery is dead. How can I open up the fob and replace the battery myself??

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The manual says to open the fob lid with a suitable tool. Usually that means a quarter or other coin. The coin fits in the fob opening where the key ring is and twisting the coin should pop it open.

If you need a manual, check Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online for a link.
  • butterworthbutterworth Member Posts: 1
    Today I experienced a problem with my drivers seat. I just started my car and my seat collapsed. Luckly I was not driving at speed as this could have been a lot more serious. My car was registered in Sept 2005 and I am now waiting for Nissan to respond. However, notwithstanding whether they cover the cost or not it would appear there have been several more people suffering from the same problem. It is my opinion that Nissan should consider this problem seriously as it could lead to a significant accident.
  • totalylosttotalylost Member Posts: 4
    Got Ripped off!!! I was charged 312 for the maintenance, and then a week later 310 for the throttle. Microfilter was not changed I was told it was not needed and was not part of the maintenance. OH!! The joy of being a female in Miami!!!!!
  • jenahljenahl Member Posts: 3
    That is rediculous. I don't think that's even normal, and the microfilter is part of the maintenance as it does build up dust and could be harmful and lead to your climate control not filtering air contaminants from outside. The throttle service shouldn't even be close to 300 at all, and the service? wow
    You may want to file a complaint with your local consumer protection office or the BBB.

And please tell the world about your experience - visit Dealer Ratings and Reviews.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Hey Steve, our host, is it possible to have one for us Canadians here @ Edmunds?
    Hi Easy,

It's unlikely that Edmunds will set up a review service for our good neighbors to the north anytime soon; we're pretty US centric and unfortunately don't do TMV or invoice pricing for the Canadian market either.

But we can set up a forum where you can post the winners and losers and maybe save someone from getting jacked. Here's the link:

Canadian Dealer Ratings and Reviews

Lots of Canadians visit the various Prices Paid forums here to try to figure out what to offer for a new or used car - there's one of those for just about every make and model that's common to the US and CA.

See you at Timmy's?
    Thank you, we'll see you there!
  • pbergnpbergn Member Posts: 4
    I agree - the seats in Murano are highly uncomfortable.

I bough my Nissan Murano 2008 SL in October 2008. It took me a whole month of tweaking, re-adjusting, experimenting with the leather seats... Nothing helped...

The main problem I have identified is the seat design - it is slanted upwards, and you cannot do anything about it. There is absolutely no way to level the seat, so one keeps sliding towards the back of the seat, which creates pressure points on the lower back...

I took it for the service, they told me that the seats are fine. This is by design, they said, and advised me to use a back pillow (can you believe that?! I've paid in cash $5K up-front and am paying $460/mo, only to find out that I still need a pillow)...

I am trying to get used to the new seat design, but it gives me a lot of back pain...

And the most upsetting part about it is that it is a really great car!!! Such a pity that they could not design the seats well...
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Sorry about your seat problem but you fell for the old seat switch scam. After the thorough test drive you took,while you were doing the paperwork on the car, they took it back in the service bay and switched the more expensive seat for the cheaper version. Looks the same but very uncomfortable. Unless you caught them in the act you will never be able to prove a thing because they look identical. My seat is fine because I never let the car out of my sight after the test drive. Live and learn.
    An hour test drive rarely gives one a true indication of how well the seats are going to perform day in and day out. Renting would be a good option but it's difficult to find similar cars to rent like the one you want to buy, and lots of dealers won't let you take a car home for a weekend.

Pbergn, try an auto upholstery shop. A good one should be able to rebuild the seats with different types of foams (depending, perhaps, on any side air bags in the seats) or recommend a less invasive solution.
  • eric_leric_l Member Posts: 7
    I had the same thing happen on my Murano too. I have an 03, and the seat first failed in 2005. Repaired under warranty. Then 3 years later, it collapsed again. This time, I was hit with a $900+ bill. Nissan refused to cover any of it, and a call to Nissan Consumer Affairs got me the same answer. My only recourse now is to file a NHTSA report and hope at some point they start a recall investigation. I agree that the broken seat creates an unsafe driving position.
    Steve, I'm not sure but it sounds like Pbergn may be leasing this vehicle which might make rebuilding the seats problematic.
    That would be an issue although if it's just the foam that's changed, no one would necessarily know.

My wife has car fever and seat comfort is a concern. Seats that feel too firm initially sometimes wind up being great on longer jaunts. But unless you can get some long sit time in a car before buying it, it's hard to know how the seats are going to work out, unless they are really bad initially.

I've had to roll a T-Shirt up and stick it in the lumbar area on a couple of our cars. But if the seat length is wrong for your thighs, you may never get comfortable.

Another thing to watch out for is how the seat edge lines up with the floor pedals - if that's cockeyed, it can strain your legs.
    We are in the process of selling our 2002 chrysler concorde ltd and the seats are the best I have found in any car. The new chrysler models seem to be skimping on size and support --- must save a few bucks. We will miss the chrysler seating but the murano is just fine.
  • pbergnpbergn Member Posts: 4
    Guys,

Thank you for your concern and advice... By the way, I had a typo - it is murano 2009 and NOT 2008... The car is greate, I love it, it is just the driver seat that I am not able to get used to (the passenger one, and the rear ones feel not to bad)... The cushion is a little short and is slightly slanted upwards on the driver side. The seat cannot be entirely levelled... But I assume this is not a major flow. From what I understand, most of the people find the seat pretty comfortable, so it could be for some reason I can not get adjusted, or something... Can be an individual thing, I mean...

Anyway, slowly getting used to the new design... I repeat, it is a great car! Probably the best I have ever had, except for this problem... :)
  • etrelleetrelle Member Posts: 2
    Yes! We just bought a new 2009 Nissan Murano. On a road trip on the highway with no one else on the road the windshield cracked horizontally about 14 inches. When we took it in we were told there was evidence of impact. We had the windshield repaired. Parked the car and left town for a week. Just came back and we have a crack (no impact visible) vertically! These windshields must be defective!

Mo Hyde
    That sucks the company should of replaced the windshield well both and refunded your money back to you.
  • oilynailsoilynails Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Murano. It is in pretty good shape except for a missing antenna mast. Does anyone know where is the access point to the antenna? Do I have to remove the inside front ceiling light trim? Is it easy to pop it?
    Thanks
  • gulfsentinelgulfsentinel Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here.
    I have a 2006 Murano thats covered 80,000 miles, and have a transmission shaft problem. Audible noise/rattle comes on at low speeds of around 40mph.
    No noise during normal acceleration, but only when I put my foot off the gas/coast and start to step on the gas gently.
    Problem is that the item is out of stock for the next month or so.
    Will this problem damage the differential if not replaced soon?
    Should I also change the bearing?
    Steve and all posters, My 04 MO W/ 61K has developed a low sounding "purr" like an exhaust or air pipe leak upon light acceleration. Has anyone out there encountered this noise coming up from the caul of the engine compartment. Also how many quarts of trans oil to refill the the trans after a drain. Thanks
  • shirneenshirneen Member Posts: 5
    Had the same problem with my 04. The "purr" was a small rust hole where there is a bend in the pipe coming out of the muffler itself. Nissan said the WHOLE thing needed to be replaced at a cost of over $500. I found an "old fashioned" garage and they cut the piece out, bent a new piece of pipe and welded it in. They charged me $35 (yep). Works great...passed inspection with no problem!
    Steve,I posted a few weeks ago on how many Qts.of oil needed for s trsns. refill on a 04 morano. Has any one answered yet. A service writer at my dealership said the oil was develeped by NASA and is good for 300,0000 miles. There is no paper filter filter as there is on regular trans. Maintennence people at my dealerdhip said the sump holds from 2 qts, to 5 qts . He said to drain and replenish.??? Any comments
    I don't see an earlier post from you about CVT fluid. Maybe it got lost back when you were posting about your tires?

Anyway, I don't think NASA is developing transmission fluid for automobiles, but maybe they contracted with Pennzoil or some outfit for research and it spilled over into the Murano CVT fluid. (link)

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide says to inspect the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. I don't see a change interval for it. It doesn't wear out like motor oil.
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    Dear Murano Owner,

The CVT oil needs to be replaced ~60,000 miles. You can do this yourself. The plug is on the bottom of the CVT case (like an oil plug). Remove the dip stick up top to allow air to flow through. Purchase the oil only from a Nissan dealer; use no substitutes. You will need about 10-12 quarts ($21.00 ea.). Drain out as much as you can (~6 qts.); replace plug; replace the same amount that you removed through the dip stick throat. Run the car for 1-2 days to cycle through the new oil. Repeat the drain & fill process (best if oil is warm). The 2nd change gets out the oil stored in the torque converter.

After doing all this I advise that you replace the car with a Toyota or a Honda; I am. Mine has been a maintenance nightmare ('03 Murano SE owner).

Good luck.
  • howlinpupshowlinpups Member Posts: 5
    I have had a CD stuck in the player for quite a while...it won't play and won't eject. I read on a forum to try removing the fuse to the CD Player, waiting and then replacing it. I have located and opened the fuse box, but I cannot determine which fuse controls the CD Player. Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
    bj
  • ronw10ronw10 Member Posts: 2
    I had a similiar problem with the windshield on my '04. No reason for the crack. I asked the repair shop iI use for all repairs(I do take it to a dealer) and he suggested it was a defect in the glass production. I have had the new one on for over 9 months and no problems.

Regarding the transmission issues I have been reading about, I have had none. "0". Maybe we were lucky, but we have changed the oil at 50K and will again since I am approaching 100K.

Unlike some writers, we have owned 3 Nissans and will own another one if we live long enough.

Ron
  • njmedicnjmedic Member Posts: 18
    From the time I purchased my '03 Murano I have had problems with my "Service Engine Soon" light coming on. It's been to the dealership multiple times and I got several "reasons" for this; gas cap too loose, computer issue, etc.

Took it in for service about a year and a half ago and spent nearly $2K. Was told "it's like a new car under the hood now - you shouldn't have any more problems." Within just a couple of months the warning light was back on. Took it in "can't replicate the problem." Long story short, when problem continued and my local mechanic got a reading on the computer about a possible catalytic converter issue I took it back to the dealership. They diagnosed a crack manifold but told me that when removing the manifold from the CC, the bolts are often rusted/damaged and sometimes the CC gets damaged during the process. Of course, this is what happened with mine. My $800. repair turned into $2K! Needless to say I am really unhappy - why should a design flaw be my responsibility to pay for?
  • jayhawk70jayhawk70 Member Posts: 56
    In some states (like here California - and maybe its a federal requirement) there are much longer warranties on emission equipment. I would think the Catalytic Converter would be part of the emission system. You might want to complain to Nissan corporate (Nissan Consumer Affairs?) Your dealer should give you contact information for Nissan for a complaint like this.

Also, when a "check engine light" comes on, you check the codes yourself if you think the dealer is trying to pass the buck on the problem. Some auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, others?) will lend you a code reader (to plug into your ODBII port) to read the code and get the plain language description of the problem. I use a handy gizmo called a Carchip I bought on eBay which you leave plugged into your ODBII port, and then attach to your computer to read the codes and other paramaters it logs. Very handy.

--jayhawk
  • pro7pro7 Member Posts: 5
    Remember, it's not libel if it's true. My 2005 Murano's front wheel bearings went kaput today with the car under 47,000 miles. Covered under warranty; however, I honestly think the Murano is one hunking piece of junk. More rattles than a colicy baby, MPG sucks, and really no versatility. The car has never left the pavement and is driven very gingerly. Also a clamp to hold the exhaust needs to be welded ($160 from the dealer Harte Nissan - rip off of course, but you pay when you you don't want to do two trips). This AWD I feel is only going to be a disaster (with the transfer case, etc). DO NOT BUY A MURANO UNLESS YOU LIKE TO HAVE MANY REPAIRS (I NEVER HAD A FRACTION OF THE REPAIRS ON MY OLD 1993 Honda del Sol). In short, Murano looks sporty, BFD, you pay for the nose with POOR engineering and POOR quality.

As one writer said, fix problem and then sell this piece of crap.

Murano = proof that the Japenses can build crap just like Detroit!
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    My 2005 Murano had a TPS problem at 5K fixed under warranty. Now, with 55,000 miles there has NEVER been another problem. The only time back to the dealer was for a 30K; otherwise JiffyLube every 4K. The "failure" blogs have decreased greatly over the past three years I have read these pages...limited to seats, gas lid and now the bearings. One wonders if different sources supply some of these parts, making variables like this...front wheel bearings should go 60K or more and be virtually trouble free. Rattles, squeaks, etc as mentioned...I just don't have them, and we drive High Sierra roads which are crummy and often covered with ice and snow. Remember those days when the rumors were that cars made on Mondays and Fridays are often inferior? Anyway, I send pro7 my sympathy and honestly, the variables don't make a lot of sense...why mine has been bulletproof so far, and others aren't. The inconsistency is disturbing.
  • george78george78 Member Posts: 13
    It's good to hear some "positives" regarding the Murano. I would love to hear from other owners who have had the car long enough to rack up some serious mileage and have not experienced the multitude of problems that some of the contributors to this forum have.
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    I have over 80,000 miles on my '05 SL. I have had several problems with it, including the rocking seat syndrome,which my husband fixed, after being told by my service department that it was an $800 job. Turns out it was a $0 job because some screws had come loose in the tract that holds the seat in place. And I also had to bring it in for service 16 times because my air bag light kept coming on. That was finally resolved after a regional tech arrived and replaced the computer module. But I love this car. We travel in this car long distances and get an incredible 26 miles a gallon on the highway, and about 19 to 20 around town. It is a very comfortable, roomy interior. I will certainly be looking to buy another Murano in the future, but given the economy I'm hoping this one lasts a long time.
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I have a 2006 SL with 20,500 miles and warranty time runs out in July.

I'd like to get extended warranty. How? Where? Cost?

At end of 35 months, what items should be checked because they have great potential to fail soon after? I'd like to get any potential items checked and fixed under warranty.

Any thoughts or experiences?
    Re : 2004 Murano SL

I turned my engine 4 days ago and the 'service engine soon' light appears on the RPM instrument panel. Since then, it's always ON everytime I start my car. My car runs OK and don't show any problem and I'm up to date with my maintenance. Can anyone tell me what's causing this and how to turn this thing OFF.
    Yeah I had the same problem, it was some thing that was recalled.You should had the done already other than that I dont Know..
    Sorry
    Can you clarify the recall?
    Just an update on this situation, I phoned the Nissan dealer her and was advised to get the sensors checked and the cost is about $90. I was about to take it yesterday abut I noticed that the SES light did not go ON. Since then, is seemed OK. I'll update here if this issue re-occurs.
  • kt32685kt32685 Member Posts: 1
    I have '03 Murano with 25,000 miles on it. And all of a sudden my A/C started blowing warm air. I took it too the dealer and they replaced the fuse box and a modual for the A/c and still the A/c blows warm air. Has anyone else had this problem, so maybe I can advise the dealership of the problem, because they have no idea what is wrong with it.
  • ronw10ronw10 Member Posts: 2
    We have owned our 2004 new and have almost 80K miles. Only one problem with the trans linage that I believe was caused by my wife. I did replace the trans fluid at 50K. No issues is wheel barrings, rattles, seats, or any of the problems that have been posted. I guess we are lucky.

My mechanic cannot believe how many miles I have on the front breaks and they still do not need replacing. Just replaced the rear breaks at 77K. I am lucky that my mechanic employs a person that worked on Muranos at a dealership and he knows his stuff. Unless my mechanic says he cannot fix, I will not go to a dealer for repairs.
  • sakkiesakkie Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Murano,live in South Africa drive on farmroads. I have had my vehicle at the dealer.They kept it for a week-end, but could not find the same jerking as it just happens now and then. They did put on computer and all was ok.
    2 days nothing, and then just a light jerk, like fuel did not get through for a milisecond..They also did clean the air filter (dusty roads). Sometimes the revs drop low, especially if I drove at high speed and have to slow down. As i start to pick up speed, ussually then the jerking appears. Most of the times the vehicle is fine. But 15000 more k and my Maintenance plan expires, and then I sit with this. What can I do? It sounds like a small problem, but considering selling. But how can you sell knowing this happens.
    Any advise would be appreciated?