Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    "Do you have a Nissan dealer within 50 miles or even a car shop?"

I know I wouldn't drive 50 miles to change a light bulb. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Yes you would if the shop was next to a Denny's with an all you can eat special for forum hosts. :P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Well, with incentives like that ...! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    I went in for an oil change and there was a recall for the in-take valve. I had it replaced. Has anyone heard about it or have this done?
  • totalylosttotalylost Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I received notification from Nissan a few months ago regarding the recall on several models. I have a murano sl 06. The replacement was perform free of charge, it only took a few minutes.
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    What is it? Am I doing damage by waiting? I have no symptoms of anything. Only 25,500 miles on my 2006. Due for oil and rotate, but don't want to pay the $ to rotate at Nissan when local tire shops do oil and rotate for free.....If I NEED recall done, then I'll just let them do it all at once.
  • totalylosttotalylost Member Posts: 4
    According to my rep at Nissan and the card I received in the mail, there is a possibility of the valve malfuctioning causing you to loose control of the vehicle and crashing. You should check with Nissan to find out why you have not received your notification in the mail. You are supposed to take the card to your nearest dealer for the repair
  • kikoman333kikoman333 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I had exactly the same problem with my '07 SL and brought it to the dealer more than 3 times and nothing had been fixed. they replaced all the remote keys, switch on the windows and system control module. It just happened again 2 wks after I broght it to the same dealership. Both windows came down all the way by itself parked in front of the garage.with the car locked and both remote keys are kept inside the house. I called the dealership and they suggested I leave my car with them for a week to see they can duplicate the problem. Personally, I think this is a manufuring defect and hope more car owners write to Nissan directly so they can look into this issue seriously.
  • no_startno_start Member Posts: 2
    My '04 Murano has same problem. It started @80,000 miles. First noticed problem when starting the engine...it was slugish. This got progressively worse resulting in a failure to start at all. Someone jumped it with their car and the Murano started immediately with no problems for about 2 months. THe same simptoms happened a second time, so I had it towed to the Nissan Dealer. It sat at the dealership over night and when they started it theree was not problem. When they put it on the computer, there were no error codes !!!! They cleaned the air intake sensor and all seemed fixed. Three weeks after the dealer repair, the simptoms started again with the same results, "Dead in the parking lot". This time I got another jump and it started with no problem. I like my Nissan but this problem doesn't seem to be "fixable"!!!! What the heck are owners supposed to do when no error codes are recorded and the dealers only resolve is to replace the wiring harness and/or the engine of a 5 year old car that hasn't even hit 100,000 miles ????? I guess my only solution is to buy some other car that is reliable.
  • scheckscheck Member Posts: 8
    My 2006 Murano is much quieter than my previous vehicle in terms of engine and road noise, and from the side windows. It kind of makes the noise from the wind/air going over the windshield seem so much more noticeable from about 40 MPH and up. Has anybody ever installed a bug shield/deflector and noticed a change, maybe some air being deflected up and over the vehicle? I usually don't drive with the radio on or a CD playing, so I thought this might be an option. Has anyone had a particularly good or bad experience with the installation and/or use of a particular brand of deflector?
  • homeouner2homeouner2 Member Posts: 14
    On my '04 Marino just yesterday, the gas door latch would not retract, door would not open when pushed on. I tried every way of getting the latch to retract. After many trys, today it began to retract. I had bent the metal tang back so I could gas up when it finially worked. The dealer quoted me apx. $200.00 worth of parts that may be necessary to fix it. Today its working fine???!!!!. I went thru a fit of this same problem several months ago. Now the latch retracts like new. Does any of you posters have a certain sequence to follow when this happens? Loose wire, bad relay or what?
  • howlinpupshowlinpups Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem and posted on here how you might be able to get it open. I got tired of dealing with it and had Nissan fix it. I think it was about $200-250.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Does anyone know how to turn off the airbag flashing light? It has started flashing since last week whenever I start the car.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Take it to the dealer! Something serious could be wrong with the system and the air bags might not deploy in an accident. It could be just a sensor malfunction or an electronic gremlin BUT you can't take a chance.
  • 320driver320driver Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a used 2003 Nissan Murano SL. SInce I've had it, I have noticed that the DTE (Distance till empty) has only showed an asteriks in the readout. After refering to the owners manual, I read that this would be the case if fuel level was too low to compute. However, after numerous fill-ups, this feature still has not worked. Is there a "reset" that somehow I could get this to work. If anyone has had to have this fixed at a dealer, what would be the ballpark estimate. This isn't a huge priority for me, but I would like to try and figure it out. Thanks for any help.
  • mreimermreimer Member Posts: 3
    I just installed a new power window motor on my 2003 murano and it has a hard time coming up i think i have lubed everything what else can i do
  • jodan3194jodan3194 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to me tonight. I drove to school in the pouring cold rain (which means there was no way in "H" that I had my windows down) and when I came out 3 hours later my front windows were down. It was a dark parking lot and I was scared to death that someone was in my car. I came home and Goolged my question and this web site came up. Thank you sooooo much!!!! I went out to my car and tried it by holding the unlock button down and sure enough the windows opened! At least your answer saved my a trip to the dealer. Thanks for saving me time and thanks to this web site!!!
    This has happened to me in the past 2 or 3 times already.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    i have a 2003 and the seat is one of the reasons i bought this car. very comfortable.

however, i have never heard of anyone ever having a seat removed and reinstalled. can anyone confirm that this was reallyt done. rr70
    this is a heads up to all murano, and even all nissan owners with the 3.5 engine.

on another message board for nissan owners, there is a thread about coolant smells in new muranos. i had this problem with my 2003 murano, but they never found the problem and it eventually went away.

i also have a 2008 altima coupe with the 3.5 and there is a very strong coolant smell. while researching this issue, i found that there are quite a few others with this problem.

stay tuned. rr70
    dear best for less.
    i have a 2003 and over the years, one in a while, the car would not keep running. you described it perfectly.

the fact that it would start and not run, and they say it sounds like a back pressure issue because it will keep running with 2 plugs, make me think that the computer is messing up the valve timing.

any way, was it ever fixed and how?

how about pulling a computer from a wrecked 2004 for your car.

for my car, it only happens on the first start of the day or after the car has sat for 8 hours at work.

usually, it cooler or cold weather.

how cold was it when this happened.

let us know, this is a big issue.

thanks,
    rr70
    perhaps no one has mentioned it, but often the rattling from the door(s) is nothing more than the plastic inner panel which has a tiny gap from the steel. put a folded business card in there and it will stop. a very low tech issue and problem.
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    I have owned many different types of cars and trucks. This “2003 Murano” has turned out to be for me one of the most unreliable and repair intensive cars I have ever owned.

The short list:

• Recurring brake and strut problems.
    • Engine oil leaks (valve covers; seals; gaskets; etc.).
    • The engine now is burning oil (I have changed it every ~3K miles).
    • Catalytic converter system and O2 sensors replaced.
    • Failed power door lock solenoids (2).
    • Cup holder ears broke with little pressure.
    • Bose CD changer problems (disc player skips; speakers cut out).
    • Gas cover door sticks preventing access to fill tank with gas.
    • AC system coolant leaks repaired and system re-charged.

These issues have made the experience of owning this car very sour. I have spoke to other owners who have expressed the same dissatisfaction. See my posts in the CVT issues section.

By anything else. Don't buy Nissan!
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    Mike: Really sorry to see that list of pain. My 05 has been bulletproof now at 80,000. And still original brakes that look good. None of the above. I wonder if in the two years between 03 and 05 certain flaws were fixed, or, if like the story goes, you got a car made early on a Monday or late Friday afternoon.
  • ljetteljette Member Posts: 19
    I bought my '05 Murano brand new and have put more brakes on this car than any other car I have ever owned. I also have had to replace ball joints twice. I don't drive fast or stop quickly or take the car off road so I don't know what the problem with the brakes is. I have 100,000 miles now and am a little worried because it is now starting to burn a little oil. I have had the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles too. The exhaust flanges rotted out at 99,00 miles, but the muffler was in perfect condition so I had the brackets welded. Like many others I had the rocking front drivers seat but luckily my husband fixed it.I also had an real problem with the air bags sensor and had a total of 16 visits to the Nissan service center before they finally fixed it. I agree with you...this car is very expensive to maintain and I would not buy another one.
  • szamprognoszamprogno Member Posts: 1
    Two weeks after taking my 2006 Murano to the dealer for the air intake recall, I started to hear a humming noise coming from the front of the car. I took it back to the dealer suspecting that they had caused some other problem and they gave a quote of $1600 to replace the front wheel bearings, a bunch of parts from the front suspension and the drive belt. Then I took it to another dealer further away from home to make sure it was really the wheel bearings and they got to the same conclusion but gave me an estimate of $750 to repair the two front wheel bearings only. I ended up taking it to a small shop that I know and ended up paying $550 for the repair. To have a problem of this magnitude with 40K miles is not a good thing for a car in the Murano class and after finding out through this forum how many other people had similar problems, I’m really disappointed with Nissan.
    I also experienced the brake issue which ended up being the least of my troubles.

I am a mechanical engineer and worked in the auto industry so I feel I carry an astute analysis of this car.

My observation is that the original brake design is a little meager when you ocnsider the weight and design of the car. That is usually why the pads wear out so fast. I tried different types and grades and never found anything suitable that lasted long.

I did start buying the better Duralast pads from Autozone that have the lifetime warranty. Brake pads are relatively easy to replace for a shade tree mechanic and typically don't require machining the rotors.

Mine also started to burn oil. The dealer told me that the PVC (built into the valve covers) could be clogged, etc. I replaced them and saw no improvement. However, the oil burning casued my catalytic converter to clogg up and fail. The dealer estimated ($1200) to fix. This is not a cheap fix either. I did find the mfgr. of the CAT though; bought one direct; took it to a MIDAS shop and they replaced for a total of $300 labor + $250 (CAT & gaskets) = $550.

This did not change the fact that the oil still burned. I just sold the car last week.

Murano's are still valued and prized as a great car. If you can afford it, I would unload asap.

I just bought an '05 ACURA TL & a '99 Toyota 4Runner and feel like I made the bast car decisions in 10 years.

Please read all of my other posts.

Best of luck. Write me anytime.
    I never had any problems with my wheel bearings.

But, I am not surprised. As I mentioned in the previous post, Nissan under-engineered a lot of things in this car.

I am surprised that they still were not getting it right as late as 2006 models.

I expect we will be seeing Nissan's management in front of congress in the future.

They have injury related issues witht he Murano that can be found on the NTSB's website.

Also, another topic to keep in mind. The Murano has a drive by wire acclerator. There is no cable. The gas pedal has an encoder that syncs with a small electric motor mounted to the throat of the throttle body. The motor opens the butterfly on the intake/T.B. while the fuel pump receives a signal from the ECM via the encoder.

There was one instance where a woman's ECM/encoder went screwy and the car accelerated upto 50 mph before she crashed and flipped on its side. The engine and wheels were still racing. I am waiting to see if a lawsuit is going to be issued.

Weird stuff!
  • jg2003jg2003 Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Murano just failed the state inspection because of the left ball joint and outer tie rod end. I'm pretty sure I've already replaced the ball joints once. Anyone else having this issue?
    I had my struts replaced when getting new tires last year.

There was a creaking sound from the front wheel assemblies. The ball joints checked out okay, but I live in the south where the car saw little snow and salt.

I have heard and read about a lot of instances of this problem in the Muranos. It's a heavy car prone to suspension issues.

If the delaer is proving too expensive, try a quality-reputable tire shop. They may be able to give you a better deal with better parts.

The shop I used gave me a life time warranty on the parts and labor.

The dealers don't always know best and are usually more expensive.
  • marciannomarcianno Member Posts: 5
    Good evening~

I have been working with the Consumer Affairs department at Nissan and have been so disappointed . . .

The struts on my 2006 Nissan Murano are toast . . . about an $800.00 repair, I am told. The hatch latch is also locked up, which will be additional $150.00 to diagnose and repair. How can it be that a vehicle that costs upwards to $27,000 can have such issues. Over the years, I have owned a few different vehicles: Toyota, Honda, Jeep, and Chevy to name a few. I have never experienced the repair issues with these other brands, as I have with my Murano. Even though Toyota is experiencing its own difficulties at this time, I will likely go that route in the future. And Nissan, well they haven't heard the last of me.

Buyer beware.
    I feel your pain.

I had to replace my struts also along with many other parts. I agree with your assessment about the quality of the car.

I recently replaced my '03 Murano :lemon: with an Acura TL. I also bought a used 4Runner to boot.

No more Nissan's for me! If you can afford it I would suggest getting rid of the car as soon as possible before something really expensive happens. Read my other posts that are under my name.

I paid $25K for my '03 and spent another $11K in repairs over the years.

Good luck.
  • njmedicnjmedic Member Posts: 18
    Against my better judgment I bought a "first model year" Murano in '03. Love the size, etc. but OMG, this vehicle has been a problem since I've owned it! I've had four (4) alternators in six years which Nissan didn't seem to think was unusual...The first one was replaced at no charge since it was defective (a recall) but I've paid for the others. They won't admit that there is some kind of electrical problem which is causing them to fail among other electrical problems.

Almost since I purchased the car the "Service Engine Soon" light has been on; the dealership(s) diagnosed various problems - to the tune of several thousands of dollars and the light REMAINS on.

There is some kind of shield in the front underside of the vehicle which, if one pulls too close to a cement parking barrier or accidentally bumps hard snow, is easily damaged. The part is $150. PLUS the exorbitant labor rates the dealership charges! I've replaced THREE of them and need to do it again.

When I called Nissan corporate and complained about all this their answer was "It's a he said/she said thing. There is nothing we can do." I told them that after owning Nissans since I bought my first Datsun B210 station wagon years ago, NEVER AGAIN would I buy another! What happened to "make the customer happy?" If I could I would get rid of this albatross tomorrow but can't afford a new car until next year.

WAKE UP, NISSAN...or you're going to be in Toyota's shoes!!!
  • scheckscheck Member Posts: 8
    I'm afraid I got top all that. I bought a beautiful 2006 with low miles on 12/1. Within days and well within the used car dealer's warranty period, it started putting out white smoke. Since then $13,000 dollars worth of work has been done during 82 days in the local dealership and the problem still exists. Every engine part has been replaced except for the heads which have been to a local machine shop twice. At least now I have a free rental, but the used car dealer is threatening to bail out on me. Help!!! Where does Consumer Reports get good data on this vehicle?
    Hi Mike,

After my last round with a rude and inefficient Consumer Affairs rep, I requested to speak with a Manager. I will say, the gentleman who followed up with me was kind, understanding and took my disgruntled opinion with grace. It turns out that against my normal mode of operation, I had purchased an extended warranty to 100,000 miles 4 years ago . . . this saved my bacon. (Wouldn't it have been nice if the original rep I spoke with researched coverage?) Ultimately, the struts were repaired, a boot that had shredded apart, and the back trunk latch (locked up permanently) was repaired for a $50 deductible. I will take my vehicle in one more time over the next year for a major look-over before I hit 100,000 miles.

Hope to drive this car another 80,000 miles . . . not sure that it will make it . . . but I am hoping it will be a vehicle for the sole purposes of work transportation. As for my next car . . . in spite of Toyota's recent repairs, I may return to being their customer.

Good luck to you as well, and thanks for the feedback on your experience.
    Marcia
  • bikercrze1bikercrze1 Member Posts: 1
    We had our 2006 Nissan Murano S serviced for the recall on the air vent issue apparently they just come loose and cause all sorts of problems. The same week I received my recall notice in the mail the cars engine would sometimes vibrate violently and had poor acceleration and finally it would not run more then 5 seconds before stalling. I found out when I took a look under the hood it was in fact caused by the air vent duct completelly off the air MAF. Now a month or two after the rapairs the left CV boot is torn and there is a leak coming from a hose on the rear of the engine. With 75,000 miles there is no daought it was caused by the violent shaking of the engine before I got my recall notice. Now shouldn't Nissan be responsible for these repairs as well being they were caused by the very problem that prompted the recall in the first place.
    Well, one would think so, right? However, I'm guessing this will depend on the dealership you are using. I've had FOUR alternators in my 2003 Murano and the dealership refused to cover #4 saying "it was out of the warranty period" - like having this many alternators replaced in such a short time was normal in any way! Any dealership can make a good deal on a car. For me it's the SERVICE - or lack thereof which is provided afterward. Don't count on Nissan backing you up either. I tried calling corporate with my problems and their final decision was "this is a he said, she said thing so we can't do anything..." What happened to customer service? Sorry you are dealing with this and best of luck resolving things.
    My 2003 Murano failed inspection for emissions, something I didn't thing COULD occur. Anyway, since I DON'T do dealership maintenance/repairs because of the outrageous labor costs I took it to my mechanic who told me that they could not tell exactly what was wrong with it because the "codes" which came up on the computer were proprietary to Nissan. They knew only that something needed to be adjusted/fixed regarding the engine system. The dealership wants to charge me $125.00 just to provide the key to these codes! I am furious! Anyone else have this problem???
    I posted an earlier concern relating to struts that needed to be replaced at 73,000 miles. When I contacted corporate, I was contacted by a surly young service representative that really had no desire to provide customer service. After about 6 weeks of phone tag, she stated that the car was out of warranty and a repair would not be honored. I politely asked to speak with her Manager, which she was none to pleased about.

A manager from the Consumer Affairs division allowed to to share my concerns about my vehicle and the initial rep I worked with. The manager who contacted me was excellent. In my case, I had completely forgotten that I purchased an extended warranty which would cover the costs of repair on the struts and the back trunk that had locked up on me. Please check to see if you had purchased an extended warranty that may cover your repairs. (I am completely concerned that while I am wrapping up payments on my vehicle, I will run out of warranty over the next 10,000 miles (7 months or so) and will be in deep trouble.) If not, I would contact corporate and file a complaint . . . if not resolved by your Nissan contact, request a conversation with Management. Hopefully you will be heard.

In a nutshell, I understand that cars breakdown . . . nothing lasts forever and let's face it, our vehicles can take a beating. When frustrates me, is that a Murano is an expensive vehicle in the first place and I would expect quality if I am spending more money than the average purchase. My car is for utility of safely toting my family to destinations and me to work each day. Style is one element, but safety and reliability are key.
    edited May 2010
    Dear Bewildered Murano Friend:

I have been on this blog for several years and am one many that experienced the same problems you and others in this thread are frustrated with.

I loved my 2003 at first; but, it all went down hill the longer I kept the car. I have been criticized a lot in this blog for my highly critical remarks of Nissan, their lack of customer concern and the poor quality of mfr.

I started a thread "Customer Satisfaction". Please let us know what your experience is with Nissan here.

My advice that I have given to many is to sell/trade your Murano if you are having continuous problems. It WILL only get worse. I waited too long and spent north of $11K is repair bills.

Some say it's only money. I can't afford that anymore. I bought an Acura and another Toyota 4 Runner.

Be smart. Get a different car.
    Please see my reply #2209.

Thanks.
    edited May 2010
    I have not written anything here in awhile. It seems we all communicated before. Just catching up.

I would encourage all to cut their losses and find something else that you can depend on. I know it's expensive to make a move; I just bit the bullet and moved forward.

Glad I did. I could have bought a brand new MDX for what I paid for my Murano plus repairs.
  • camel24camel24 Member Posts: 1
    That's very strange - we just bought a 2010 Murano for my wife and a few long trips in the first month resulted in severe back pain for both of us that seems to be connected to the car. Your post seems identical to our experience.

I'd be really interested to know if you found anything that helps! (Like you, we really like the car except for this one thing.)

Thanks for your help,
    Doug
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I have a 2010 Maxima, but we did test drive a 2010 Murano a couple times and found the seats to be soft, but did not provide that much support. In fact the backs especially, are pretty flat across the bottom and you slide around in them if sitting in the back and go around any kind of curves, even ones that are not too sharp!
    I phoned 2 Nissan dealerships today and asked for the cost of trans fluid replacement and got 2 answers. The first dealership advised me that it's has a lifetime warranty and no need to replace while the other told me that 200,000 km is the time to do it....Which one is right?

I currently have 100,000 on my 2004 Murano
  • no_startno_start Member Posts: 2
    Re.:
    That's very strange - we just bought a 2010 Murano for my wife and a few long trips in the first month resulted in severe back pain for both of us that seems to be connected to the car. Your post seems identical to our experience.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't have a solution. It seems that the front edge of the seat cuts off blood flow behind the knee cap, causing the cramping.
  • matt120matt120 Member Posts: 2
    My 04 Murano SL makes the same noise. What was the problem? I know that others don't make that sound please help.
    Thanks Matt
  • matt120matt120 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 04 Murano SL AWD last year. I have had a noise coming from the suv every time I turn the engine off sounds like a motor running. I've been told that it is the throttle body cycling, I never hear it on any others. Recently my service engine soon light has come on and it has a code p1283, I have bank 2 running lean. calling for more fuel. Why is this? Does any one have any ideas for the fix for each issue? Thanks Matt
  • dotson1dotson1 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned many, many cars in my life but the Murano is Satans creation. Problem after problem. Brake problems. AWD problems that the dealer could not fix! And yes my tranny blew at 100K and cost $5500 to replace. To Nissans credit, they reimbursed 100% without even asking (got a letter) Freaked me out ! But today, went to start the car and BOOM BOOM BOOM. Then no start. Strong fuel odor at the tailpipe (and vapor) Almost starts for a moment, then endless cranking. Sensor? Any help would be appreciated.
  • whitestar16whitestar16 Member Posts: 53
    What year and exact model