Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Murano Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    $500 over invoice is what cars used to sell for -- minus any factory rebate or dealer cash.Over 3k off sticker doesn't seem bad to me if I wanted a murano. The recent car market crash was unprecedented. Thousands under invoice is unlikely to happen anytime soon -- maybe never. You can get a nice ford escape for thousands less. Great reviews and reliability.If that price is way too high for you, I'd cross the muano off your list because I doubt if your going to find a much better deal anytime soon. They are in the business of making money now that people are back wanting muranos.
    Had my murano since october. 8k miles. Very nice car. Would have been just as happy with a ford escape/honda crv/subaru forester for thousands less. It's safe comfortable transportation not a religious experience. My life has not improved one iota by having it in the garage or on the road. Use your head more than your heart when buying. Hindsight is 20/20.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    That's too bad for you.... Since I got my Subaru last year, I could swear that I'm better looking and chicks dig me... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You Subaru dudes impreza all the babes. Putting one on my next look list.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mdb78mdb78 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a Murano LE this weekend, details are below

Saraha Stone/Beige leather interior
    Illuminated Door Sills
    Black Roof Rail Crossbars
    Splash Guards
    Floor Mats
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Cargo Area Protector
    Navigation System
    Dual Panel Moonroof

MRSP of 41,990, I was able to get two dealers to go back and forth until I got one down to $36,393 (+$780 for freight, taxes of $1,115, tags $60, and processing of $359) with an OTD price of $38,207. I also was able to get 2 years of free oil changes. I had the option of another $500 off, but chose the 2.9% financing. I had the option of Platinum Graphite with Black leather interior for $150 more from the other dealer (same offer of 2 years of free oil changes). This deal was done in northern virginia.
  • manontherunmanontherun Member Posts: 5
    Same type of color and model I'm looking for in CA. I would have paid what you did but no one was willing here. I think you did pretty good.
  • squishles10squishles10 Member Posts: 45
    do you mind telling me the dealership w the other vehicle?
  • mdb78mdb78 Member Posts: 2
    Rosenthal Nissan, it looks like its still in stock according to their website. They don't list the color in the description of the car, but its definitely platinum graphite (the dealer I bought from pulled up the VIN and had all the details out).
  • ocelot4arkocelot4ark Member Posts: 9
    I've been offered an 09 SL FWD with leather installed by dealer for $25,997+TTL. It's in the sapphire blue color. This doesn't include rebates because I'm taking the financing. That seems like a pretty decent deal to me. The MSRP for this one is $28,935 but that doesn't include the leather. What do you guys think? Good deal?
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Price is right, BUT just because it has leather doesn't mean its a great deal. When you get leather from the factory it has the same warrenty as the new car, but having the leather installed at the dealer, your basically S.O.L... Stay away from dealer installed leather...
    Well leather is a deal-breaker for me. If it costs me an extra $3K to get a model with leather I can take the risk that it will go bad. Worst case scenario? Go back to the dealer and get them to install it again for $1500. It's just self-insuring, basically. I just have no desire to ever own another vehicle that is cloth.
    The new vinyls are so close to leather -- I would be very sure you are getting what you pay for. Check auto custom shops and price a leather swap -- just to be sure.
  • iolo72iolo72 Member Posts: 29
    And, I think you also don't get the power passenger or heated (MUST here in Chicago!) seats.
    Thanks for the concern. I went ahead and contacted the dealer about the leather warranty. The do not do the install themselves. They send it to a place in town and they have a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty on the leather. The same place would add a sunroof for $1500, which I just thought sounded funny. Wasn't aware you could do that, but I guess it makes sense.
    Well that's not AS big of an issue in Texas ;-).
    The dealer doubles the charge they pay for leather. Go to the installer on your own.
    Pinstriping at the dealer is $95-175. The shop near me does it for $35 + tax. Same stuff.
  • soylentgreensoylentgreen Member Posts: 62
    Dealers are still fierce here in Texas. A couple of dealers here are offering $27,900 for an S with Convenience package, no rebates applied, from sticker of $29,440. I'm about to bite. What do you guys think?
    If you have thoroughly researched and test driven 4-5 competitive vehicles and still really, really want the murano then bite. The mazda cx-9, ford edge,subaru forester& outback,honda crv,and hyundai santa fe come to mind. Happy trails.
  • kilrbkilrb Member Posts: 6
    Well, after hanging out on this page every day or two for the last month, I finally pulled the trigger on an LE. I was dead-set on the beige interior, and I wanted a moon roof, with no Nav. I wasn't overly picky about the color. I thought that wouldn't be a big deal; boy was I wrong. There was one LE in Kansas City with tan interior. That's it. I searched all the neighboring states, and could only find a couple of tan interiors without nav, and they were one of the two colors I didn't want (tinted bronze or the saharan stone). Oh, there was a grey LE with DVD and no moon roof in Oklahoma, but I really wanted the moon roof.

Anyway, I decided to see what I get on the local one (Murlot; not my first pic in colors, but I could live with it). I wound up with what I think is a reasonable deal, considering there wasn't much else to choose from. I got invoice plus $500 less the $1,250 rebate, and I got free oil changes for life. I had a competitive for invoice less the rebate, but it was with the black interior, and it didn't include the free oil changes. Fortunately, the dealer I bought from was the one I plan to use for services, so the freebie oil changes are worth something. Probably halfway close to the $500 premium, even after discounting for the time value of money. Good luck to all of you who are looking for tan interiored LE's in specific colors!

I should probably state that the price out the door (including all fees except tax/title) was $35,950, which was exactly 750 under the invoice for this Murano that had moonroof, lit door sills, floor mats, and the trunk protector thingy.
  • sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    It seems your deal is about 700-800 above invoice. I think it will be somewhat difficult to get much less than invoice - rebates at this time. I still think if there is still decent inventory in your area then it would be possible to shave another 500 off the deal. Just be careful that they are not increasing fees in other areas in the deal. It also seems that used 2009 Murano's are going for a premium also. You might also want to look for the manufacture date when you open the door. That will give you a good idea of how long the vehicle has been sitting around.
    Stay alert on the free oil changes. They will try to upsell you a lot of extra service stuff. Any oil change should include a thorough inspection at no additional charge. Tire rotations $20-$25 and the cabin filter $?. They have a long list of "recommended" items that can cost 2-400 dollars a visit -- not in the manual. They sucker enough folks to improve the bottom line way beyond what they get in profit for the car.
  • kilrbkilrb Member Posts: 6
    Solyent, I missed a couple of options when I posted yesterday... The car also has splash guards and the cargo area cover. Edmunds shows the invoice at $36,719, less the $1,250 rebate, which takes the number to $35,469, which is $481 less than what I paid.

Good point, Jayrider. The sales guy mentioned that there were free inspections along with the oil changes, which makes sense. Of course, they charge for tire rotation, but I'm used to that (at Acura dealer prices). I will be careful about letting them sell me bogus services when I'm in for an oil change. If it isn't in the manufacturer's list of required maintenance, I'm going to be highly sceptical...
  • stevegaatlstevegaatl Member Posts: 1
    Murano 2009 SL 2WD. Saharan Stone Metallic..
    splash guard, 360 value pack, premium pack, mat, door sills, leather. plus destination.

MSRP 34605. invoice 31680
    Paid 30700

I was going to use AAA buying service and took the print (price gurantee certificate..).
    Actually i went to another dealer (due to location), the dealer matched the price.
    it might be because of end of month or the dealer just (today) unloaded 7 murano from the truck.

I appreciate this forum for helpful information.
  • mufc4memufc4me Member Posts: 6
    A newbie here and have a few questions, hopefully someone can provide answers.

1) I'm almost set on a choosing the SL 4WD (Color preference is Graphite or Silver with Leather.) with 360 value package, Leather pkg, Premium Pkg. Is it worth getting the Technology pkg? because it seems like most of the items listed in the Technology Pkg are already included in the 360 Pkg. Exceptions are rain sensing front wipers, heated exterior mirrors, bi-functional xennon headlamps with auto on/off. Or will these items be part of the 360 package, althougth I dont see it listed? Its almost paying 2K for these few exceptions isnt it?

2) I read the 2010 Murano is out in October. Is it a bad idea to buy 2009 version now when in a month a new model will be out? How much more expensive is a 2010 model likely to be vs a 2009?

3) I read somewhere in the forum that the inside door has the manufacture date of the car, how short of a time length should a car have been in a dealer lot to be considered "new". i.e. I don't want to take home a car thats been on the lot for several months.

4) What kind of mileage should you expect to see on a new car? Is every new car test driven by Nissan or anything like that? The reason I ask is that when I bought my Maxima in 2000 (new out of college) I saw that my car had several hundred miles(or maybe 200 odd miles) on it and the dealer said they drove down to southern NJ to get it for me. To this day I feel like I was slightly cheated or that the dealer pulled a fast one on me.

TIA
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I'm shopping for a similar vehicle and I think I can help with some of your questions:

1. You can't get both the 360 and the Tech package. It's an either/or. So if you go with the 360, you won't be able to get the HIDs, rain-sensing wipers and heated mirrors, but you will get the iPod interface which isn't available with the Tech pkg. The only way to get it all would be to go with an LE.

2. '09 vs. '10 depends on how long you're going to keep the vehicle. Personally when I buy a new vehicle I keep it for 10 years or more. So I would go with the older model year every time and save the upfront $$$. Resale value is irrelevant to me - the car isn't going to be worth much in 2019 whether it's an '09 or '10. But if you plan to trade after 3-4 years, I'd say go with the 2010 because obviously money isn't much of a consideration if you can eat the horrible new car depreciation every 3 years.

3. Why not? You may be able to get a better deal on a vehicle that's been sitting awhile. Every day it sits the dealer pays floor plan interest and therefore may be anxious to get rid of a vehicle that's been sitting awhile.

4. I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule about this. Obviously new vehicles get some miles on test drives or there would be no test drives. 200 miles wouldn't bother me much if the dealer really did locate the vehicle and drive it back. But if the vehicle has been on 300-400 miles worth of test drives or more, you should be looking to get "demo" pricing - in other words at least a little better price than a different car on the lot that has 12 miles on it.
    Thanks, appreciate the quick reply. Great advice for Q1 because everytime i've been choosing options I was choosing the tech pkg with the 360pkg and it was obviously affecting the total price I was looking at (on the AAA new car pricing webpage). Its good to know that its one or the other because now I can get a more realistic price I should be looking at (for the 360 version). I considered the LE but read about some issues people are having also the fact that the tires cost over $200 a piece and I don't think I'd want to spend that much when it comes to changing them.

Excellent valid points on q.2 and 3, 4. I'm thinking the same, keep the car for about 10yrs. I think I may see whats out there this weekend or the weekend after. Thanks again
    Other thing to keep in mind is there's an extra $500 Labor day bonus cash through 9/7. The basic rebate is $1250 in my region so I'm looking at $1750 in rebates if I buy this weekend. Of course, the rebates could be even bigger later in the Fall.
    Thanks for that info too! I just checked the offers in my area (NJ) and I'm only offered $500 until Sep 30 and there was $500 you mentioned as Holiday bonus until 9/7/09 - but it said for qualified models and to see dealer for details :confuse: I'm not sure if I would even dive into a purchase that quick as good as that $500 bonus sounds.

Besides taxes and destination and handling charge (listed as $800 on nissan config page) , what other costs are they likely to tack on? Any rough estimate? Or anyone out there from NJ reading this can give input? I don't want to finance it and am going to hopefully trade in a 2000 Maxima and then pay the rest in cash but I don't want to empty the bank account either.
    Most dealers will charge a documentation fee that I've seen range anywhere from $49 up to $300. These are basically a way for dealers to stick you at the end after you've agreed on a price IMO. I refuse to get into a debate about doc fees with dealers - I simply tell them I want an out-the-door price that includes ALL fees. I don't particularly care what they call the different components of their pricing. The only thing that matters to me is the bottom line (before taxes). In my area taxes are paid at the DMV when you register the car - not at the dealer.
    You've been a great a help loach, thank you. One last question, since I want to put my 2000 maxima in for trade what is the best way to bring this up. I checked the kbb value and I know I should be getting more selling privately but because of the hassle of time and people I'm thinking of letting it go for the value kbb have shown for a trade in. What point should the trade in discussion come up? Before asking for the out-the-door price or after? How would you go about this to make sure they don't screw you over by low balling on the trade-in valuation after making me think I got a good out-the-door price? Car buying and House buying are so aggravating!! :mad:
    Generally you should not talk trade until you have agreed upon a price for the new car. The dealer will want to talk both at once in order to muddy the waters in their favor. Read "Confessions of a Car Salesman" along with as much as you can in the "Tips and Advice" section on Edmunds. It helps to know what they are going to do before they do it.
  • scorzscorz Member Posts: 7
    My company is a Nissan supplier, and we are offered a 2.87% discount off of the invoice price of any new Nissan. Is this a good deal, or am I better off negotiating a better price?

I'm located in the Washington DC market.
  • pmkingpmking Member Posts: 7
    We are looking at a 2009 2WD Murano SL w/value and premium package. We were offered $31,900 out the door, which includes tax (Approx. $1000), Tags ($60), processing fee ($499), destination ($800). My bottom line was $31, 500, so we walked away. We also plan on using the APR incentive rather than the rebate. I really liked the salesperson but I cannot say the same for the sales manager. Do you all think these are fair prices?
    You walked on the deal because of $400 on a 30+k car? Interesting. If price is that important you should look at alternatives for thousands less.
    One local dealer in st. louis has 44 murano's in stock -- don't know whether they deal or not but plenty of inventory. Bommarito.
    Finally the pain has ended. We went to look at a White 360 VP + Leather + Premium on Friday that just came off the truck; wasn't really looking at buying at that time since we were set at buying the 2010s. With the Murano shortage and everybody and their dog wanting one, I don't have anything to lose to talk to the dealer.

To make a long story short (more like <1 hour ), we bought the car for $29850. $29850 + TTL! :shades: That's way below invoice! Once I got that offer I quickly signed the papers before they find out their mistake---it wasn't a mistake after all. I combed through all the paper work and made sure there were no hidden crap.

We took the 2.9 APR promo and only used the $500 labor day rebate. Good things come to those who wait---and waiting for 2 months have been too long!
    I saw that article too but it didnt include an accompanying story specifically for the Murano.
    I take it you got a FWD?
    Correct that the article didn't really discuss the Murano - it just listed it as the #5 hardest to get at the end of the article.
    Thanks for the info jayrider, but STL is about 8 hours from me and I guess I don't love the Murano enough to go 8 hours for one either.
  • pmkingpmking Member Posts: 7
    Does $29850 include the rebate or was the final price on the car $30350 -$500 + TTL? We just bought a 2009 FWD SL Black w/360VP, + leather + premium+ splash guards, + cargo cover + floor carpets for $30652- $500 = $30152 +TTL. I thought we did pretty well, but I also thought I could push a little more, but my husband really liked how this one was equipped and he wanted black. We don't need AWD in this area and I have always owned FWD vehicles even when I lived in Boston.

I know another poster asked earlier why I walked away from a deal over $400, the reason is simple...every dollar counts! They came back the next day and said let's split the difference. My husband thought that was fair and we did it. I would have stuck to my guns and waited for them to come down the extra $200, but it would have been a risk since inventory is fairly scarce for a comparably equipped vehicle in this area.
    Yup, FWD.
    $29850 is final price after the $500 labor day rebate.
    So $30,350 - 500 = $29850 + TTL.

We got the all the same stuff you all did but our dealer stuffed junk in there we didn't need or could've gotten it cheaper somewhere else (i.e. nitro in the tires, tinting, pinstripes).

I was working with two other dealers so really, I had the balls to walk out anytime and used all those useless add-ons as leverage
    That's a smokin' deal - actually appears to be below dealer cost (not invoice) according to truecar.com. Did you have a trade-in?
    Great deal but how could you pass up the nitro in the tires? As one salesman told me when I scoffed at it " It has real value sir."
  • terrimahanterrimahan Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the board but have some questions about a new Murano.

I have only been looking for a few days but want a Murano LE in White with all the options. There are none here in Arkansas in White and the dealer is looking elsewhere. I am a little leery of the salesguy. He called today to say that he found a 2009 midyear and positioned it like it was a retweaked midyear model...like a 2009 1/2 model...in Texas and the owners wife is driving it and it has 4000 miles on it. Sticker is $42,650 or somewhere close. They want to give me the rebate of $1250 and knock off another $1000 for disounting and then $500 for the miles and that is it because they say they have to go get it and it is really hard to get what I want.

Question 1 : What is up with the mid year tweak thing?
    Question 2 : when I drive the car off the lot and put 4000 miles on it the value drops thousands but for some reason I cant get more than $500 off.
    Question 3 : do you know when the 2010 comes out because maybe I will just wait?
    Question 4 : biggest difference in loaded LE versus trim right below it...a SL I think...that is also loaded...is it just all wheel vs FWD.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    Run, don't walk, away from this "deal" and this salesperson.

1. I'm pretty sure there was no mid-year tweak. There was a midyear price increase but it had nothing to do with added content.

2. Yes, you should be getting thousands off. You could get a brand new Murano LE for much less than what the dealer is trying to sell this demo for. I've received offers of $2-3K off MSRP before rebates for LE's without nav. I don't think those deals are all that great, but they're much better than what you're being offered.

3. Not sure but I would think they'd be arriving by October.

4. You can get AWD in any trim level - S, SL or LE. It's just standard on the 2009 LE. The main things that you get on an LE that you cannot on an SL are:

- Memory seats
    - Heated rear seats
    - 20" wheels
    - Woodgrain accents instead of aluminum
    - Powered tilt/telescoping steering wheel

For the SL, there are other things that you can't get depending on whether you go with the Tech pkg or the 360 value pkg. For example, the 360 pkg comes with the iPod interface and bright 18" wheels and roof rails - you can't get those with the SL tech pkg. On the other hand, the Tech pkg comes with auto headlights, HID headlights, a power liftgate and heated mirrors that you don't get with the 360 pkg.
  • iolo72iolo72 Member Posts: 29
    About Q1, there was a mid year "tweak" but it was only for options and I don't think it applied to LE since it's loaded to begin with. I got a lot of this when I was shopping. Basically, Nissan started out S/SL with Tech pkg. that includes zenon light, powered rear hatch, etc. but dropped the package completely half way through the year and added 360 Value pkg. instead. It's very difficult to find, if any left, 09 S/SL with tech pkg. Some dealers call the latter model 2009.5 for some reason but again, there have NOT been any changes to the car itself.
    All in all, I would pass also on this car as you should get more discounts being it's "functionally" a used car although dealers will say it's a new car because it's never been titled :(