Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Future Models

Comments

• Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    If those who post here are any indication, they have never even considered any other brand. So they may not even KNOW color-matched interiors exist.
  • Options
    gjay1170gjay1170 Member Posts: 67
    I actually had to log in. It worked!!!! I loved the video. It's like watching my new baby being born. I just love the flip down Nav that inside is a 6 CD-player. That's not in the EX-L, isn't it? I change my mind, I want the touring. This is the coolist minivan ever!!
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    How much do they cost (to replace) and how long before they wear out? More specifically, the Michelin PAX system. Especially curious since it sits on what appears to be a dedicated rim (17.5").
  • Options
    mndavemndave Member Posts: 7
    One of the articles put the estimated price at $150 to $160 a tire. That isn't too bad. I forgot what I paid for my Mich. HydroEdge tires but they were probably around $110 each.

Here is another spin on this...Pax tires are cheaper in the long run. My reasoning? They include a tire pressure monitoring system. One of the photos shows a display in the bottom of the speedo that shows the pressure at each tire. Most people unknowingly drive around with under-inflated tires. Improperly inflated tires wear faster and reduce fuel economy. Having the car gently reminding you to fill the tires *may* improve tread life and gas mileage enough to offset the tire cost. (12,000 miles / avg 24 mpg x $2.00 a gallon = $1,000 in fuel cost per year. Save 5% over three years = $150)

Regarding availability, the Honda press release discussed the nationwide availability of pre-mounted replacement tires. If you need a replacement and you have more than 50% tread remaining you get not only a free tire, but a new wheel as well.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Never thought about it (as ISELLHONDAS pointed out), but Honda does lead the way here. In my opinion the wheel looks good, and it does not show dirt. I did not own a Honda until 2002, but I have owned a few cars with light gray and tan interiors and the steering wheels got pretty ugly with age.
  • Options
    3bebe3bebe Member Posts: 18
    My husband and I "ordered" a silver touring with nav and res and were also hoping for the +one seating. I kept thinking it has to be an accessory. After looking closely at the +one seat, I can not seem to spot the seat belt. which unfortunately means it may be in the roof like the back middle seat which means that the touring probably won't come with the seatbelt in the roof.
      I hope I am wrong about this I have been counting on that seat being an accessory on the touring. Why would Honda do this? I really wanted this seat and touring, especially since that is the model we ordered. I am so upset, please someone tell me I am wrong and the seatbelt is built into the seat like Sienna. Why can't we have top of the line luxury and 8 passenger capability??? Are you listening Honda and Toyota for that matter!
      Sorry for the rant!
  • Options
    madabout1269madabout1269 Member Posts: 14
    After looking at one of the links about the Touring,one of the journalists mentioned that this trim level will be at $38000,so I am reworking the numbers on 2003 EXL with DVD for tradein or private sale to maximise my return on my investment as this trim level is worth every penny after looking at all the info we have gotten in the last 2 days.I have already spoken to my dealer about allocation mix they are getting.
  • Options
    After looking at one of the links about the Touring,one of the journalists mentioned that this trim level will be at $38000,so I am reworking the numbers on 2003 EXL with DVD for tradein or private sale to maximise my return on my investment as this trim level is worth every penny after looking at all the info we have gotten in the last 2 days.I have already spoken to my dealer about allocation mix they are getting.
  • Options
    ace1000ace1000 Member Posts: 151
    Your reasoning is wrong. You assume that all of the tires are significantly underinflated for three years, which they aren't for most vehicles. Most tires lose air very slowly and will be within an acceptable range of pressure most of the time. In addition, tire pressure is checked every time the car is serviced, which will usually be about twice a year. My experience has been that the tires are usually overinflated when the car is serviced.

My experience also has been that tires get nails in them when the tread is past the 50% wear point. This has happened frequently to us, resulting in a slow leak that needs to be fixed to avoid the hassle of pumping up the tire every few days. With conventional tires it's cheap and easy to fix these leaks and get the full life out of the tire. It's probably a lot more expensive to repair a PAX tire.

I wonder if the Honda or tire dealer will recommend replacing rather than repairing the tire when it has less than 50% of its tread left. And you have to replace at least two tires at a time when they are more than 50% worn. So you have to consider the possibility of higher repair cost and more frequent replacement with the PAX tires.
  • Options
    I'll accept your challenge and say that what I described was a theoretical best case (savings) and worst case (maintenance) scenario. I do think that a lot of tires are out there incorrectly inflated. Example: my sister-in-law asked me to check a tire she thought was low. It had 35 lbs of air in it. She thought it was low due to the slight bludging in the sidewall. I checked the other three - they had 55 lbs in them. She said she filled them until the sidewall was perfectly flat. At least I got to teach my five year old nephew how to take air out of tires!

My overall point was that there may be some added value to the PAX system to offset the cost of the tires, i.e. the TPMS. What may get pricey is taking a chunck out of the RIM by hitting the curb the wrong way.

As for repairing the leak, my impression is that the PAX tire is more like a conventional tire and a normal zero-pressure run flat, and therefore may be more repairable.

One more thought - let's hope that the PAX wheels have the same lug pattern as the other models. In the event the PAX product line dies 7 years down the road and replacement tires are $500 a shot, you could always get used wheels off of an LX / EX. Besides, nothing beats snow tires on steel rims come winter time.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Wow, max psi on most tires are around 44psi. No kidding. That is dangerous. A long drive may build up enough heat to blow up the tires. Luckily you caught it early.

Too me, tires in vehicles are the low hanging fruits for DIY. Constant checking is essential. It affects handling, braking distance, noises, comfort, safety.. etc.

Yes, all middle seats (2nd or 3rd rows) have 3-point seat belts with shoulder belt stretched from the ceiling (like current 3rd's design).
  • Options
    indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    Sounds alot like the TRX tires I got on my wife's 1979 mustang custom rims tuned suspension and tires ala Michelin. Three years later the tires and rims were dicontiuned and ended up very expensive junk. Did not sweep the industry then because other mfg's had their own ideas about handling.
    Move up in time! Michelin's going to sweep the industry again. Only this time you cannot mount any other wheels or tires on the ODY with screwing up the suspension dynamics.

Yeah last time Goodyear and others were suppose to support TRX
  • Options
    Again, just because a black steering wheel doesn't show dirt, doesn't mean it isn't dirty. I clean my (color-matched)leather-wrapped steering wheel with Lexol cleaner every time I clean the leather seats. Takes about 30 extra seconds. No problem at all.
  • Options
    How much are they going to be to replace? As much as Michelin (& Honda) want to charge you! Run-flats in-general are expensive enough, but this is PRIORATIVE TECHNOLOGY. You will have no other alternative. Just like owners of cars requiring Michelin's TRX tires in the '80's, you'll be shopping Ebay or TireRack for a set of smaller, universal wheels and tires when this van gets older. Don't get sucked into this PAX system just because you want everything else on the 'Touring.' Buy a loaded EX-L instead....Trust me.
  • Options
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Dang...I knew someone would beat me to it. :-)

For everyone's convenience, I've provided a link to the article. It is located under "Helpful Links" to your left.
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    "Ody interior to the Navigator...?"
    As far as looks goes(interior & exterior), IMO nothing beats the Lincoln Navigator, not even a Lexus. But when compared to the Sienna, there are goods and bads with both vans.

The Ody's illuminated controls and electrofluorescent instrument panels are awesome like Acura, while the Sienna is typical Toyota cheap vs Lexus.
    The Ody's 8" NAV screen and NAV functions beat even the Lexus LS430, so the Sienna is absolutely no match.
    The Ody's 9" DVD RES looks much better than Sienna.
    The Ody's Steering wheel controls/buttons look much better than the Sienna.
    The Ody's front panel layout with 6-CD changer/NAV/Radio/AC controls/DVD player is much better than Sienna. Plus the Sienna only has a single CD player in the NAV model.

I do prefer the Sienna's synthetic woodtrim and gated shifter in the Limited, but that's it.

The Ody's exterior is much better than Sienna IMO.

"cassette as an option?"
    On Autodeadline.com, they listed about 43 accessories and among them are Cassette Player, Woodtrim, MP3 Player, 3rd Row sunshade, and PlusOne Console.

Hey, I just now notice the MP3 Player. I think I'll get this over the Cassette player since MP3 is the new deal.

But in terms of just pure looks, nothing beats Navigator IMO.
    Only bad thing is Ford makes Navigator, and reliability is an issue.
    Plus, the NAV screen on it is only like 6", not 8". And the voice commands are about 175, not 700!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    It's hard to sort through all the links, etc., but is XM optional on the EX-L w/o navi? I assume the radio is all set, and it is a matter of adding the antenae, but I wonder if it needs a tuner also?

I want XM, but don't want an external head unit added on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    OK,

I live in the New Jersey, and my wife really wants AWD. I think given the choice on a Sienna ltd vs. Ody touring, i'd go with the ody hands down as i'm not real keen on the looks of the sienna. HOWEVER, now considering the cost of the touring at 37K (and not much discounting if any) vs. an AWD limited sienna (i can get for 39 w/ navi), i'm leaning to teh sienna. Someone change my mind! damn I wish honda put AWD in the ody!!!

Aceman
  • Options
    st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    Just got official email from hondacars.com with images and specs you know already... http://www.hondacars.com/info/prototypes/2005_odyssey.asp
  • Options
    Not to start a religious war, but why do you need AWD? I live in Minnesota and don't consider it a necessity. Neither of my current two cars have it and I don't miss it at all. Traction control and good tires (Blizzaks on one car) take care of the snow driving.

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death in other threads.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I guess I don't understand your desire to have AWD. Here in the midwest we get winters as bad as anyone. Several of my friends have Odysseys and Siennas and have never felt the need for AWD (even here Toyota sells very few AWD Siennas). Driving a rear-drive sports car in the snow is one thing, but a FWD minivan should not have problems in bad weather. If the roads were truly that bad I would not want to be driving even if I had AWD for fear that another car would skid and hit me. But how often are the roads that bad in the winter, maybe 2-3 times at most? I personally would not get that hung up on the AWD.
  • Options
    I think it's conservative and modern at the same time. looks very well balanced in design. I like bold powerfull front, great exterior trim/finish, and features inside are awesome. Toyota sales most likelly will go down..... ?
  • Options
    Toyota will probably still sell the same amount (basically all they can make). Street (dealer) prices might come down though, and Toyota may have to throw some incentives into the pot.

Other makes (DC, Nissan) will probably feel the heat more.

Actually, the Ody capacity won't be too much higher than it already is (up from about 160 to 180K/year), and since they already max out, it can't rally skew the market too much. Someone has to sell the vans Toyota and Honda can't produce.

The total minivan market IIRC is running about 1.2 million units. Honda and TOyota together can produce =/- 350K, so thats a lot of units left for Ford, Nissan, Kia and DC to split up.

• Options
    If you are living in areas where snow is often and big issue, them AWD will be really needed. Advanced drivers will be fine on little amount on snow just with forward drive. I didn't have any problems with my Ody 2004 last winter, however if it will be blizard-blizard I'll skip... Without snow stability bar + traction are working very well for me. During last year I didn't have any problem. Traction controll switched on just couple times during acceleration-braking on bumpy/slopy areas. Probably 3-5 times during entire year.
  • Options
    fbearfbear Member Posts: 117
    Of course, nothing can beat AWD in deep snow, but we also live in NJ and we have found that FWD cars (including our 2000 Odyssey) do okay here...generally speaking, the traffic on the road has smushed the snow around a bit and you can stay in the packed snow tracks of other cars...I even drive my RWD BMW through NJ snow each winter without much trouble.

But I can understand wanting the security of AWD for the family. For what its worth the general manager at the dealer I am buying from thinks they will add AWD in a year or two- they have the technology from Pilot. He thinks it will give them something to buzz about in a year when the van is otherwise little changed.
  • Options
    carfun888carfun888 Member Posts: 25
    This will cause some fun discussion. When I saw the first clear photo of the 2005 Ody I thought it was a Mazda MPV. The front styling cues are almost an exact ripoff. Likeness is to be expected in the minivan world but to me the Ody/MPV could easily be big brother/ little brother.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any gueses as to price break out yet?

I am primarily interested in EX-L and Touring.
  • Options
    Nothing could beat carefull driving style. Cars with AWD, 4WD will loose traction same way as any other, and YOU will kill yourself and others if you don't understand it. Yes AWD is great feature, but will be very bad if person driving AWD will think that he is 100% safe during blizard or black ice.
  • Options
    ash21ash21 Member Posts: 10
    If new Odyssey 2nd row seats cannot be put together to make a bench seat, I am not buying it, because:
    1. It is too dangerous to put a child close to door with all those air bags and otherwise.
    2. If someone is already sitting in second row, that person will have to get out to let someone else go to third seat, its crazy to think that it will work; I hope Honda didn't goof up on that. I will have to go the Sienna way.
  • Options
    listenerlistener Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I am not sure why do you need AWD in New Jersey,
    Is it because of snow ? I live in Minneapolis and was also thinking about getting AWD but read somewhere that Snow tires makes more difference to snow traction thank AWD (No I haven't tried that yet, but will try it on my Accord first )

Thanks,
  • Options
    You can still slide the right hand seat over to make a bench. Some of the pictures posted yesterday show it configured like this.

I personally find it easier to go through the middle rather than having to move the outside chair forward.

• Options
    spookomanspookoman Member Posts: 7
    Hello, i just joined this, but i have a very important question about the new 2005 odyssey, is it going to be all wheel drive, because if it isnt then im gonna have to go and buy the sienna, i hope it is, because i really need the traction for the northeastern snow conditions, if it isnt then i really have lost respect for honda.
  • Options
    No, Ody 2005 will not have AWD. Sienna is what you want.
  • Options
    I have read some other reviews concerning snow tires, are they that much better than all seasons?
  • Options
    Ok it looks like sienna may be the best candidate at this point, unless if they plan on releasing ody wit awd next year , other wise dont think the 93 previa can pull through for that long.
  • Options
    No, Ody 2005 will not have AWD. Sienna is what you want.
  • Options
    fromsuv2vanfromsuv2van Member Posts: 15
    According to the review, Active Noice Control and Active Engine Control Mount are noise reducing features available for 05 EX-L models or above only (i.e. only on Ody with VCM engine). Does this mean the 05 LX and EX are still as loud as 04 model? This is not good as excessive road noise inside cabin is a Honda weakness. So unless you pay up for the feature, the new Ody won't be as quiet as the Sienna? I hope they are options for the lower models such as LX or EX (non VCM engine).
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    We'll have to wait for C&D Magazine to publish their sound levels to be more official, buy my impresion so far based on the reviews is that the models without VCM will be quieter than the '04 Ody, but not quieter than the Sienna.
    However, the VCM models are quieter than the Sienna.
  • Options
    1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    This just refers to noise reducing tech for the VCM equipped engines that run on 3 cylinders.
  • Options
    Saftey and security of AWD are somewhat of an industry myth. AWD helps you accelerate on slippery roads. It doesn't help you stop, and it doesn't help you steer - the two biggest safety issues (remember we are comparing vs FWD minivan, not an RWD Mustang). In fact, the added traction of AWD during acceleration may fool you into thinking you have more braking traction than you actually do.

The difference AWD would make is in driving in deep, uncompacted snow. If you live in a very rural area or frequently travel to a vacation home that isn't plowed, I could see the value. If you live in a suburban or urban area, it is tough to see the benefit of AWD. Especially given the increased vehicle, maintainence, and fuel costs.

The biggest safety difference you can make are the tires.

I live in Saint Paul and we get our fair share of snow. My two current cars are both FWD Volvos, an 850 and an S70. Both have traction control. Both do fine in the Minnesota winters. For the 850 I have a set of Blizzak snows mounted on steel rims that go on around Halloween. The tires are absolutely amazing. They are like claws. The road noise, treadlife, and handling have been great.
  • Options
    dannodanno Member Posts: 114
    I also live in a cold, snowy area - Norhern Ontario Canada. I have a FWD van and a Ford Escape with 4 wheel drive. I have Blizzak snow tires for both vehicles. The 4 wheel drive aids in starting from a start but that's about it in terms of advantages. The snow tire traction for braking, steering and ride comfort! is amazing vs. all-season tires. Snow tires on mounted dedicated steel rims is highly recommended.
  • Options
    beemer4mebeemer4me Member Posts: 42
    Imo, VCM is a band-aid for poor engineering and design. Toyotas and Lexus' are quiet w/out vcm because their designers took the time to build a fundamentaly quiet car from the ground up. It'll be a pity if the sound levels in the EX are the same as prior models as it will not allow me to justify trading in my '01 for the
    8 passenger version.
  • Options
    amc731amc731 Member Posts: 42
    I remember reading an article regarding AWD that said basically what others have said here, in that it's not as effective as it's made out to be.

I have a question for all of you men out there....with the Pax tires on the Touring how does that affect the possibility of putting snow tires on in the winter, if at all? Not that we've ever put winter tires on, but since it's taken me a good four tries to get up our own driveway the past couple of winters, it would be worth considering. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    beagle1beagle1 Member Posts: 6
    I am still hoping someone can advise me on the feasibility of having the 8 way power option installed on the front passenger seat. This will probably have to be done after market as I dont see it listed in the specs. As my wife has back problems this is a "must have" option for us.
  • Options
    I think you missed the point of VCM - it has nothing to do with a quite vehicle. In fact, VCM adds noise, which is why special engine mounts and "anti-sound" are employed when VCM is used. The "anit-sound" has the added benefit of reducing some of the noise not caused by VCM which is why the EX-L and Touring are quieter.

As for LX and EX, if you trust the press release then they are quieter than the 04's due to a new sound deadending material.
  • Options
    VCM is not a band aid for noise. It is for fuel economy. Because it makes the car run on 3 cylinders (instead of 6) those three cylinders must rev higher and therefore make more noise. ANC was added to cancel that noise. I don't recall hearing that Lexus or Toyota even have VCM in the first place. It is VCM that enables the Ody to do better than the sienna in EPA.
  • Options
    Or you can have BOTH. I bought an extra set of 17" Sienna rims for my XLE AWD on Ebay (stole them actually), and I already have a set of Blizzaks on order from The Tire Rack. Snow tires have special tread patterns, as well as softer rubber compounds that afford better snow & ice traction. Added to AWD, they're even better.

To others who are bashing AWD here, it sounds a little bit like sour grapes to me. Good thing you Honda fans think AWD is valueless, since it's glaringly absent from the '05 Odyssey's list of available features.
  • Options
    Here are the 3 things that Honda says they have done to reduce noise:

"Floating front and rear subframes with rubber bushings (new on rear subframe)"

"Advanced sound absorbing material lines majority of cabin (new material technology)"

"Active Noise Control (exclusive to EX with Leather and Touring models)"

Because ANC works to counteract any steady droning noise, it should be able to cancel some of the road or wind "hum" in addition to the noise generated by VCM. In Honda's words:

"the audio system analyzes the sound waves entering the cabin, and then instantaneously creates an opposite sound wave (anti-noise) to cancel the unwanted noise."

It is the same as BOSE noise cancellation headphones if you have ever put on a pair. They cancel the hum in your office or on a plane to an amazing extent.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    As far as I'm aware, you can put snow tires on the Touring model......BUT, you will also need to purchase a set of rims (wheels) to go with them since the Pax tires require a special rim which is incompatible with ALL other tires on the market. This shouldn't be that big of a deal since most people that I know of keep their snow tires permanently mounted on a cheap set of steel rims and switch everything out rather than deal with remounting tires.

I've also read somewhere (can't remember where right now), that Michelin is planning to manufacturer a Pax snow tire but that at this time they are not available.
This discussion has been closed.