Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Future Models

Comments

• robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    Honda Article begins on pg. B1 July 10,2003 paper.

Article "New Honda CEO Faces Big Drop In Japan Sales."

Reference to Ody is in 7th paragraph of article.

It appears on second reading that reference is to Japan Ody. Sorry about this.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I hope it doesn't play the option games that Nissan and Toyota play. Why would I pay $4K for an extra power door, a power liftgate, a power seat, tri-zone climate control, and a center console? Why doesn't Toyota and Nissan let people order another power door on a Sienna LE or a Quest SL? It just bugs me that I have to buy a Sienna XLE or a Quest SE just to get 2 power doors. I hope this next Odyssey also brings an Acura version to control pricing. It'd be nice to get an 05 Odyssey loaded for about $33K, and then have the Acura version start from there. (Then again, you'd be competing against your own MDX)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I doubt you will see Honda go to options like the Toyota. They have had so much success with offering different trim levels and limited options, why change? Plus I would thin it helps with reliability. If you are building the same car with all the items with very little variance, you tend to be able to pick out something that is out of the ordinary and you perfect it sooner.

Just some thoughts.
  • rosey4rosey4 Member Posts: 42
    I did read the article in the Wall Street Journal. I took from it that the new redesigned Odyssey will be released in the fall. I would think that Honda sales will increase, regardless of what Toyota does with its new Sienna. I haven't driving the new Sienna, but I'm seeing more and more of them on the roads. I don't think I'd purchase one. I'm satisfied with my Odyssey, I just liked to see Honda add a few more amenities, such as a automatic lift gate. Besides, a fully loaded Odyssey, is much cheaper than a fully loaded Sienna. According to TSX who posted some of the changes Honda will make with the new Odyssey in this board, I look forward to. However, the question I ask is, why are there so many Honda salespeople who don't know anything. Some believe the redesigned Odyssey will be out in 2005, while others say fall 2004. College Hills Honda in Ohio, on their web site say the 2004 Odyssey will be arriving in August. I can't imagine Honda releasing the 2004's next month, and then launching the 2005 a few months later. I gather the redesigned Odyssey will be out in the fall, which I am very eager to see.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    IMO, I doubt that Honda will make a minivan more expensive than the Sienna XLE Limited and I doubt, for the sake of all future Odyssey buyers, that they will make an Acura Odyssey. Why?
    Well, it would be good for people buying the Acura. But, if that happens, they will make the Honda Odyssey less attractive on purpose to get seperation for it's luxury line.
    Noticed how the current Honda Odyssey looks pretty attractive, but the Pilot doesn't look quite as good as the Acura MDX?
    I think they will jack up the price about $500 to include side curtain airbags and the power liftgate. I don't think they make it AWD or create another model line with AWD for cost reasons. Besides, if people want AWD, they would get an SUV. But that's just my opinion.
  • tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    Despite of what the other sources are reporting, the Odyssey will be a 2005 Model but could be released in early 2004 (Just what Toyota did with the Sienna). The Detriot auto show could be the official release for N.A.
    Other than MotorTrend.com (Future Vehicles) - I don't see any major news source reporting anything on the Odyssey.

I did see the 05 Honda Pick up in the C&D, it's basically what every other company does - basically a cut-off of the Honda Pilot with a Bed. Very similar to the Chevy Avalanche.

I will keep you guys posted as soon as i find something.
    Usually Honda follows a 5 Year period with any model before a full redesign. The last Accord Debuted in 1998 and went though 2002 in total of 5 Years.

The 2nd Generation Odyssey made it's debut in 1999, 2003 should be the last year. Concluding that the new 3rd Generation should be a 2004 Model.
    Around this time, there is usually lot of reports on the net/magazines about the upcoming models. Honda always keeps their info release up until the last minute - We even knew about the New Accord last year. Edmunds-C&D-Motor Trend were reporting lot of info. It's amazing how there is nothing about the Odyssey.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...notes that Honda "will this year revamp at least two vehicles in Japan, the Life minicar and the Odyssey."

You have to remember the the JDM Odyssey is a minivan with 4 swinging doors. The NA Odyssey is called the Lagreat in Japan. IMHO, the article refers to the JDM model.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the NA Ody hang around another year. Yes the intro of the Sienna has cut into it's market, but it isn't like Honda can respond to Toyota in less than 6 months. Changes to auto design and manufacturing cycle in years - not months. I expect an 05 Ody to be introduced late next summer.
  • pimp4pimp4 Member Posts: 13
    i think that honda will introduce its new oddysey at the frankfurt autoshow and probably be on dealers on late october or early november.

ok guys just keep 0n sending in info and so we can be informed about the 04-05 honda oddysey
    Hey guys I got good and bad news the bad news is that Honda will hold on until Fall 2004 with its current odyssey the 2004 one would have little or no changes, no color changes but the good news is that it will have a Surfboard Carrier, and a Snowboard Attachment as an option.
  • dangusdangus Member Posts: 1
    The following link is to a German website. Located on the bottom RH of the page is a picture of the *new* Odyssey?

http://www.prelude-fan.de/odyssey.htm
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    It's great for the consumers to see the new Sienna leap the Odyssey in features - it's the first time I've read people negotiating off the invoice for the Odyssey.

The next leap for the Odyssey sounds great too. Only I will time my next buy for the car that gets lept over to avoid buying at MSRP like I had too for my 2002 Odyssey - which I love BTW.
    The Odyssey pics look like that the Odyssey has a strange resemblence to the Nissan Quest. Oh, and by the way, if I wanted AWD, I would buy a Pilot. It costs a little less than a Sienna AWD, seats one more person, and I may be able to bargain a little.
    Not to mention the Pilot is "cooler" since it is an SUV and not a minivan.
    However, the Odyssey or Sienna would offer more space. The CE and SE Sienna also offer 8 passenger seating.
    It's LE Sienna, not SE. I would like it if Toyota offered an SE, however. This next Odyssey is going to blow the Sienna's Socks off! (The Quest too)
    I cant wait until the all new Odyssey comes out and see all the car magazines comparing the 2004 Nissan Quest VS. 2004 Toyota Sienna VS. 2005 Honda Odyssey. that is going to be a bomb!!!!!!!! and of course seeing the 2005 Honda Odyssey beating those two losers with 2nd and 3rd place while the Odyssey gets #1!!!!

I JUST CANT WAIT!!!!!
    for the Odyssey to kick Sienna and Quest's butt!
    In my view, when the 3rd Generation Odyssey debuts. It will be like comparing the '03 Accord vs. '03 Camry vs. '03 Altima.

Current Odyssey has set the standards when it first came out - beating out all competition.
    Thew new one will once again will be the benchmark of Minivans.
    Sure will give the Sienna a run for its money. The Quest could stick around and compete. It has the same amount of HP as the current Ody. As soon as this Odyssey comes out, the Sienna will be selling for pennies over invoice and have cash back attatched to it, just like the Camry. (Do you see Nissan and Honda stickin' $1200 cash on a new midsized sedan?!)
    Yeah, but by that time, the new Ody will be more expensive since they will offer less discounts. By then, it may be better to get the Sienna:-)
    I bought the Ody this year only because it's so cheap compared to most Siennas. But if it were the other way around, I would buy the Sienna.
    Wouldn't you?
  • ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    No, Ody will not be very expensive when released (no where close to MSRP) because there will be enough competition by then. Initial hype for Sienna and Quest will be over and not to mention production #'s for Ody were to double sometime soon, if they have not already. Last few years Ody was selling at MSRP because there was no real competition. Now there is (and will be more). I am waiting for redesign.
    The Odyssey wont be more expensive than the Sienna or Quest because the Ody will have lots of amenities, or standard features that the other two wont have and if they have them is an option and that would bring the sticker price almost to the same of the Ody or even more expensive while for that money that you spend buying those options in the Toyota and Nissan you can get even other better options that the Ody would have.
    That's just my opinion dont you guys think the same thing too??
    I would agree that the new Ody's MSRP will be less than the Sienna with comparable model. However, I don't think you will be able to buy a 2005 model at invoice price like you can now with the 2003 models. Am I right or am I right? Even with stiff competition, it would still be new and not, right? Yeah, it won't be at MSRP, it may be $1,000 off MSRP.
    Yes, that is right, about $1,000-1,500 off MSRP for few months, after that it is anybody's guess.
    I agree that the new re-designed Odyssey will be cheaper than the Sienna. Is there any indication as to whether is will be available next year? Will it be mid-year 2004 or next fall as a 2005 model? Recent articles have been conflicting. Some have indicated it would be available as a 2004 model, while another recent article says 2006.
    There will be no redesign for 2004 (it will have to out in Sept./Oct. of 2003 for that, and that is not happening). Spring 2004 or Fall 2004 as release date is again a guess at this time, but it will be called 2005 model. BTW it was due this (2003) fall, but they kind of stretched it because it was in great demand (milking it as much as they can).
    The Honda Odyssey cannot be a 2006 model because if it is it would be out in the 2005 so it just cant be 2006 i think and im maybe 100% sure that it'll be a 2005 model coming out in fall of 2004.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    pricing on the odyssey has always been to the actual value of the vehicle. a loaded '03 ody stickers for $30860. a loaded quest tops $38000. loaded siena can get into the $40's. granted, there are additional features that honda doesnt have, but not $8-$10k worth! i think if the honda adds lots of cool new stuff, that it will be in the $33-$34 range for a loaded EX. this van will go back to bringing sticker, or you just wont get one. competition doesnt matter, even if they were the same price. honda will build what they know they will sell...no more. unfortunately, it will not be in the buyers control what price they have. it'll be back to: "sign up or dont sign up".
    You get what you paid for if you pay close to INVOICE. Notice how the difference between MSRP and invoice of the Sienna XLE Limited is a lot more than the Ody EX w/NAV? Thus, unless it is a brand new hot model, you can get a better deal on the Sienna XLE Limited than you can with a top-of-the-line Ody. For example, some people in California are getting close to $4K off MSRP now on the Sienna Limited while a lot of people are getting $3K off MSRP on the Ody EX w/NAV or RES.
    By next year when the 2005 Ody comes out, you can probably get $5K off MSRP on the Sienna Limited. However, you can probably only get $1K to $1.5K off MSRP on the 2005 Ody when it first comes out.
    A topped out Sienna with everything is about $41K MSRP. $5K off would be $36K.
    You can't beat that! Laser cruise control. HID headlights. Fog lights. Wood trim with wood trim/leather steering wheel+ shifter knob. Parking Assist. Powered liftgate. NAV. DVD RES. CD Changer. 10 Speaker JBL w/Subwoofer. Side curtain airbags. Rearview Camera.
    Let's say you want to add factory original equipments on the Ody w/NAV which you got for $28K. That's $2K for the RES. That's $1K for the rearview camera. That's $1K for wood trim w/steering wheel. That's $300 for subwoofer. That's another what $500 for CD changer? That's what another $300 for cassette player?
    Man the Dealer add-ons will kill you, bringing your total to more than $36-$37K.
    Of course, if you don't need all that fancy james bond equipments and stuff, then you got yourself an Ody with a lower paid price.

But if Honda adds all those fancy stuff, the MSRP will climb too.

We really can't speculate and make exact comparisons. For one thing, finding the exact model you want can be difficult. In the end, based on personal experience, you buy whichever has the better deal at the time of purchase.
    I bought the Ody for 2003.
    Oh, wait, this isn't the Ody vs Sienna forum. Sorry, Steve :-)
  • fondofhondafondofhonda Member Posts: 1
    There was one very special feature omitted from the vast list of "extras" Toyota provides to select customers and you don't even have to buy the XLE Limited... "Jello"... Many of their vehicles have this very special ability to produce jelatinous SLUDGE in their engines... the only problem with this feature is that it seizes the engine... but they give you a rebuilt block if you ask nicely.
    look at what honda did with the accord...added all that neat stuff, AND 40 HP, and the price only went up $520!!! dont tell me what honda will charge, i worked with the products almost 2 years. let me ask you this, also...if you add all that happy stuff to the honda, why is it STILL (according to your figures) $4000-$5000 less?
    Honda should not bring the price up too much the example that bowke28 just said its true and so honda wouldn't boost the price much. changing the subject did u guys niticed on the picture of the 05 odyssey where its green and small you can see that it'll have mirror integrated turning signals as the Mecedes' you know on the mirror but facing to the front of the car not the rear isn't cool???? guys lets admit it the odyssey that its on the lil picture is gourgeous so lets hope its that on with the HID headlights, LCD intrument cluster, 3 rows roll down power windows, 3 row automatic climate control, heated 2nd row seats, full size spare, ETC!
    Well, I did not add prices for other things like HID, Laser Cruise Control, Back up Sensors, Parking assist, closeness/proximity sensors, side curtain airbags, and some other things.
    My point is it's cheaper to have all those "happy" things added from factory instead of at the dealers.
    The NAV+rear view camera on the MDX is $2,200. The Ody NAV itself is $2,000. So that tells me the rearview camera coming from factory only costs $200, not $1,000!
    The RES from factory is $1,500, but if you get the Honda dealer to add that, it's $2,200 (that's what the local dealer told me when they charge people for their RES including parts and labor).
    See, just those two items alone save you $1,500 if you got it installed at the factory instead of at the dealer.
    Honda would probably charge another $1K for back-up sensors, another $500 for fog lights, another $500 for side curtain airbags, another $1,000 for HID, another $2,000 for laser cruise control, another $1,000 for parking assist, another $1000 for 6 disc CD changer, another $1,000 for upgraded stereo system, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc.

With that said, I'm sure the new Ody with a lot of happy stuff will not be more expensive than the Sienna XLE Limited.
    actually, in a way, you DID add all that stuff, because with the stuff you listed, it only came to $33100. you said it was up to $36-37k. that leaves $3-4K for the remainder of stuff you didnt mention. limited?!?! the limited model ranges from $38000-$42000!!! the odyssey will never get to $40k. they'll come up with something else before it does.

back-up sensors are about $600-700.
    probably will never reach $40K.
    Now the Odyssey starts at about $24,000 and loaded for about $32,000 right??? whats do you guys think that the prices would be for the 2005?? i think itll start around $25,500 and loaded for about $35-38K thats what i think maybe itll start a little bith higher than $25K but it just cant go any higher from $38K.
    Here's my price ladder for the 05' Odyssey:
    New DX model: $22,995
    LX: $24,250
    LX-i: $24,750
    EX: $25,995
    EX- i-RES: $27,995
    EX-NAVI: $28,250
    EX- NAVI w/ i-RES: $28,995
    EX-Sport: $26,750
    Leather is a $2250 option on LX-i models and a $1595 option on EX models. Sport Leather is a $1500 option on EX Sport.
    Yeah, I don't think the '05 Ody will be more than $35K loaded, but I don't think it will have everything offered in the Sienna Limited either, not that you need any of that stuff, of course.
    Some of those features are not even offered in the Lexus SUVs.
    Personally, I would not pay that much money on a minivan unless it has that Lexus or Acura logo on it:-)
    whats the difference if it has an acura logo or a honda logo? both designed and built by the same people, and with the same technology.

one thing you can count on is honda raising the bar even farther, even only a year after the siena and quest. they always do. look at the camry/altima/accord rivalry...
    load up a camry or altima, and you have a $28-29k car with less equipment than the $26260 accord. the ody. will be no different.
    Of course, I did not mean just the logo. I meant the entire luxury package that comes with the name badge. See the luxury difference between the MDX vs Pilot or Lexus GX470 vs Toyota 4Runner?
    They may pretty much be the same vehicle and engine, etc., but the luxury and looks are different. Everyone knows the Pilot and 4Runner are more cost-effective and perhaps more practical than the MDX and GX470, but some people must have the luxury to make them happy :-)

Not that I would buy another minivan of any brand, but Honda needs to offer both NAV+DVD RES on the '05 Ody. They also need to add the rearview camera, back-up sensors, power back door, and most definitely head side-curtain airbags.
    It would be very impressive if Honda also adds even more airbags like for the rear and body-side-curtain airbags to stay ahead of the game.
    Personally, the Ody still has the good looks on the exterior, especially the front grill.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Curtain Airbags.

Curtain Airbags.

Curtain Airbags.

Side airbags reasonable dimensions (now they are a joke - they cover just the 2nd and 3rd ribs !). Look at the
    http://www.lexususa.com/models/rx/safety.html
    to learn something about airbags.

A transmission able to push that van 300,000 Kms without Ford Windstar kind of experiences.

Put in garbage that stupid grade-logic gearbox design. Just leave that gear box switch like 20 years old gear boxes used to switch. And DO NOT build the throttle control to lower the engine power when switching gears. I don't want a stupid computer to lower the engine power when I push the gas pedal to accelerate !!!

When the manufacturers will understand that:
    *) If I push the gas pedal I want the car to accelerate (not the opposite because the throttle control or the traction control or other computer crap acts against my will)
    *) If I push the brake pedal I want the car to stop (not the opposite because the ABS on a rough road decides it's not safe to stop)
    *) If I don't push the brake pedal I don't want the car to brake (not the opposite because the grade logic transmission crap decides to switch in a lower gear; or because the traction control brakes; or because of Volvo's stability control brakes). If I need a lower gear I will switch it manually damn it !
    *) If I turn the steering wheel to the right it means I want to steer to the right (not the opposite and have the steering wheel turn in my hands in the opposite direction - like the smart Volvo XC90 will do by applying brakes only on the left wheels because the computer would "feel" it was not safe for me to steer that much ! This is for safety ?! But if I am stupid I will crash that car anyway ! And if I am not stupid why I am not allowed to drive the car I paid for ???

The only thing you get is that I will keep my old cars forever and never give you one dollar. After 20 years, if I can't get from you a car who does what I tell it to do, I will buy manual transmission cars only. Or I will buy Hyundais or Kias who will do very well at that time because of your blindness.

I DON'T WANT THE CAR TO TELL ME WHAT I WANT ! If I push the gas pedal to the floor I want to feel the front wheels skid on the pavement and I don't give a damn about what the computer thinks about it ! The computer pays for me, or I pay for the computer ?!?!
  • robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    Looks like it is same as 03.

?????
    the redesign isnt till next year as an '05.

rodut...

i think you should resign yourself to the fact that computers control more than 75% of a car's functions anyway. if you keep that attitude, you will have to find an old car to restore with parts that are just as expensive due to their availability as new cars computer parts. after a serious 6 car pile-up 2 years ago, i firmly believe in the idea that not all drivers have as much control over their vehicle as they think they do. its people like you that cant steer out of the way of an accident on wet pavement. if you are trying to avoid a collision and someone knows a better way to do it...wouldnt you want to know that way? these technologies are not developed to tick you off, they are developed to help folks avoid the accidents that you start with your lack of control.
    Well now that honda is sellings its 2004 Honda Odyssey it makes it 1 less year for the '05 Odyssey to come. It makes me very happy cause i think that the '05 model will be a BOMB!!! By the way dont be surprised if you guys see it at the Frankfurt Auto Show September 9 it may be as a Concept like Nissan did with the Quest or what Chrysler did with its Crossfire, who knows? it may be there as a production van but to be sold until late 2004!
    I was expecting the Odyssey to be released Summer 2004 at the latest. With all the Quest and Sienna are doing to current Odyssey sales. maybe spring 2004 if Honda rushes- we all don't want that after the Accord fiasco. Some of you know better than I do about the Accord fiasco with the tranny. I drive a 99' Civic and the tranny has never crapped out on me. I've used it for about 72,000 miles.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    bowke28

After 20 years of trouble free driving, often in worse conditions that you can find in North America, it's frustrating to read that "it's people like you that can't steer out of the way of an accident on wet pavement".

I think you had that crash two years ago because of incompetent drivers. This is another direct consequence I forgot to mention of these high tech cars. They create stupid drivers. They think that if on wet pavement at high speed they push their magnificent ABS brakes they will be able to steer doesn't matter what. No they won't. Me, I will be able to steer because in that milisecond I won't even touch the damn brakes and I will steer. They will never develop this instinct. Because we are talking about instincts - there is no time for judgement during that milisecond you have to decide what to do.

Did you ever think what will happen when one of those systems will break ? Because they will break ! A sensor, a wire, a transistor ... there are thousands of possible causes. All those drivers will have no good instincts to save them.

I don't need to restore a car to get a car which does what I tell it to do. There are lots of new cars (mostly manual transmission cars) which won't make me dumb. For instance my 2001 Accord.

At the end you say: "these technologies are developed to help folks avoid the accidents that you start with your lack of control". I bet I am a far better driver than you are and also I have a lot more good sense than you have.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Years ago while in college, I was sitting at a friend's house expounding upon how wise I had become. "Look at that," I said, pointing to a little table-top plaque with the wise prayer, "Lord, give me the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference." "You see how that little metal plate with the prayer on it is off to one side on its mounting?" I continued. "I have always been a picture-straightener," I declared, "but I now have 'the serenity to accept the things I cannot change!'"

My friend reached over and slid the plate to the center of the mount and said with a grin, "Yeah, but you still don't have 'the wisdom to know the difference!'"

You, my friend, have regarded your undoubtedly-considerable driving skill and attributed your stellar, accident free driving history to that. Unfortunately, you have failed to take into account your good luck or, more likely, the invisible protection of one looking out for you. Worse is that you have generalized your experience to condemn some of technological leaps that have made the annual highway/road death total in America (and, presumably, the Canadian portion of same too) to remain almost exactly the same as it was when the population was less than half what it is today and the total number of cars (not to mention the total number of miles driven) was an even lower fraction of the comparable current figure(s).

Consider that, while you may never ever suffer the sort of momentary lapse that can cause an accident, the drivers of those other vehicles hurtling toward, past (we hope!) and around you may not be so perfect. They may opt to make their mistake without giving you sufficient time to react. I would vastly prefer that their vehicles be equipped with every conceivable safety device and accident-prevention system available. Wouldn't you?

I am almost 50 years old and every bit the curmudgeon that age might make you think I am. In fact, my first tendancy is to agree with your assessment. That is, I would have if it weren't for the facts.

Every single test, review, analysis and report that I have read and seen have had nothing but good to say about each and every one of those "intrusive" technologies you complain about. The truth is that those technologies make a good driver, such as yourself, even better and safer.

What's more, many of the technological options come from the realm of arguably the very best drivers on earth: those who drive hell bent around raceways while adapting every single possible improvement they can find to keep themselves firmly anchored in this world for as long as possible. Sharing that desire, I will opt for as much of that same technological assist as I can afford, thank you very much!
  • redlensesredlenses Member Posts: 36
    Gents,

Please save your breath talking to Honda dealers about the new Odyssey. They are focussed in 1 thing, selling the vans they have now. Through research on your own like forums like this you will know far more than any dealer.

The advanced picture still shows the sliding door track exposed and not hidden under the window. No improvement their. Also I have not heard anything regarding an 8 passenger version. At least Totoya listens to their customers and has made that available now.

IMHO, if I had to by now I would not wait for the new Odyssey and get the Sienna now.

Cheers
    will still beat the Sienna. With the 6-passenger Sport version that tsx had mentioned earlier.
This discussion has been closed.