Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• fastdriver2fastdriver2 Member Posts: 19
    caesarslegion-

I'm getting it thru my brother who sells them. I have NO idea how much yet. It has every option except the engine heater. He had to order it. I'll let you know.

dindak-

For some strange reason, it seems to me that most cars in Canada have longer warranties than the cars in the US. I THINK I've seen long warranties listed in MILES and not Kilometers.

fastdriver2 aka fastdriver, but having trouble signing in as fastdriver, so I had to create a new user name for now.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Fastdriver, please report whatever problems you are having in the Our Software discussion. Apparently there were some changes made last night ... who knows if that is related to your difficulties, but you should report it.
    pat HOST-

JUST tried that, but when I hit SEND, I got a message that said my session expired! Signed in again, but I have NO clue if my message went through or not. I did send someone an e-mail last night about this problem, but have heard nothing.

I wish that when they change something there they send us a message or put a FLASHING warning on the sign in page. Everytime they change something we get all screwed up on our end!

WHY would I be able to have EVERYTHING work under a new profile using the EXACT same computer, browsers and settings as my "old" screen name?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it! :-)))))))))

fastdriver
    You can redisplay the discussion to see if your message posted, and if it didn't, please try again. You can also try the "Help" link at the very bottom of this page. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you ... except this is not the place for this conversation. ;)

Hosts are hosts, webmasters/programmers are webmasters/programmers and never the twain shall meet -- IOW, I don't have any idea what might be wrong nor do I have any control over it! ;)

You know how to email me if you want to talk to me further...

:)
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Sorry, it's 100K kms, not miles. Most warranties are 3 / 60K kms, about the same as 3/36 down there.
    pat HOST-

Done. My message was not there, but it is now.

fastdriver
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    not bad, if you can get past the fact it is a 20 year old design, dating back to the J-Car and the Cimmaron.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Saw my first Aveo ALONE commercial today and it looked great. It was the one where the announcer says it may look small..pirhana small and then the Aveo moves forward and reflects its image onto an aquarium. Looked very sporty, though I wish they did offer a "tuner" package with a ground effects kit and 17" wheels. Oh well, go Aveo!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    yesterday. It was a red or burnt-orange color and it was the Aveo hatchback. It had "$1000" marked on it's windshield so that must be a $1,000 rebate offer already. The little import looked pretty sharp.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I picked up an Aveo brochure while at a Chevy dealership for GM's Hot Button game. In the brochure, I would swear that the side of the seat in the interior picture of the car has a label imprinted on the fabric that says "AIRBAG". So, whats the deal? The photoshoot car had side airbags, but we cant get them? This, and the rather poor fuel economy hold me back from thinking this car is the best of the minicar class (Aveo, Accent, Echo, Rio).

~alpha
    on the Aveo, anyway? 25 city and 34 highway?

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Rio and Accent aren't stellar on fuel economy either--the ECHO is the champ there, but will cost you thousands more than the Aveo comparably equipped. The Accent comes with SABs standard but they aren't available in the Rio, and extra on the ECHO. Still, for a brand-new model I think the Aveo should have SABs at least as an option.
    iluvmysephia1-

That's the current rebate from GM for the AVEO- $1,000.

alpha01-

LOL... I saw the same thing. You saw it in the "cheapy" catalog where I saw it. However, in the bigger and better catalog, there is no sight of the side airbag logo on the seat. If you read the SMALL print in the catalog, it does say that these were preproduction models shown in the catalog and that production models may vary!

fastdriver
    To compare the 25/34 ratings of the Rio, Accent and Aveo, here are the following comparisons:
    Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder: 28/33
    Hyundai Sonata GLS V6: 19/27
    Honda Odyssey LX: 18/25
    The cars above are much larger than the Accent, Rio and Aveo, yet the Accord gives you just 1 MPG less on the highway and three MPG more in the city. The Sonata is a V6, giving 19 in the city and 27 on the highway, and the Odyssey van gives 18/25, just a little less than the Sonata. I guess Korean cars just get lower MPG ratings than the Japanese and even some of the domestic cars. (Malibu V6 gets 26 MPG in CR testing)
    backy and fastdriver-

I didnt even know there was a "better" brochure. One important note though, is that the Accent side airbags are seat mounted head/chest inflatable restraints, whereas the ECHO's optional are inferior chest only units. Of course, the Rio and Aveo don't offer any kind of supplemental side protection....

Indeed, the Koreans do lag behind the Japanese and Domestics in terms of fuel usage. Heck, the FWD 230hp Toyota Sienna matches the Sonata V6s EPA ratings, and CR tested overall MPG.

~alpha
    I'd like to mention that the Hyundai Santa Fe LX 3.5 is rated at somewhere around 16/22, which is worse than the much larger Honda Pilot EX, which seats 8 and gets a rating of 17/23.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Well, St louis had its auto show this past week. It ended today. I must say it was the worst show I have been to. Very few up coming models and just one or two concepts. The Chevy stand was dominated by the Pickups and SUC's er ah, SUV's to most mid-westerners. They had one Aveo and it was only a four door. No options. No hatch to be found. The info person was unable to answer any questions (Some flunky from a local dealership) and just handed me a chevy full line booklet. GM and Chevy, I am insulted.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Side airbags, cruise control and other things are reserved for markets other than the US. The Aveo is being sold here in the States as a cheap car. In the rest of the world it is a main stream car. Your average person in Europe would be buying this type of car and expects more in the way of options. Here in the states cars like the Toyota Camry sell but Toyota can't give them away in Europe. There, Hatchbacks and MiniMinivans or as they say "people movers" are what sells. Also something like over 50% of new cars are sold with diesel engines. It is not going to be your average american that buys these cars. Most Americans are still waiting for the new 1975 Ford LTD to come out.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    cavalier 5 speed and aveo have similar mpg and right now, similar pricing.
    buy an Aveo hatchback then settle for a Cavalier.
    Who wouldn't!?! LOL
    the hatchback design of the Aveo will allow me to carry more stuff in a smaller package.
  • irishbobcatirishbobcat Member Posts: 6
    Had a dealer give me a price quote of $11,400 plus tax and title for a hatch with air and automatic transmission...

will look to test drive it once the freezing rain leaves Ohio....
    if this is how Chevy dealers are going to deal then they will accomplish their goal of taking a bit of business away from the Koreans. irishbobcat-if you don't mind, will you come back and post the TOTAL including tax and license for us? I just think that the hatch especially is a very desirable body design and I think the mechanicals will be sound but not perfect. For example, I would question the trim material or power window regulators or something like that with the Daewoo product(which, BTW, would NOT stop me from buying an Aveo). That is one area that will keep me purchasing Kia or Hyundai. That is the Long Haul Warranty, concerning which I read a quote from HyunKia execs in the fall that they intend to keep the Long Haul through 2008, or something in that ballpark. Your comment on the freezing rain(which we have here in Missouri as well)makes me wonder...does the Aveo offer any traction options or is it just the standard FWD?

coworker has an Aveo in our lot! (as a rental)

I will have to see if I can check it out.

TINY CAR!
  • dave989dave989 Member Posts: 21
    The Aveo got into the market way to late in typical GM fashion. Most people by now have bought there Focus and Civic i dont think this car will sell well
    The Focus and Civic are one class up from the Aveo. The Civic costs thousands more than the Aveo. The Focus can be had in stripped form for about the same money as an Aveo LS, but you'd get more equipment on the Aveo. The main competition for the Aveo will other subcompacts like the Accent, Rio, ECHO, and xA--a fact that Edmunds.com noted in their first drive report that was posted today on the home page. The Aveo came out pretty well, except in the warranty department.
    I think U.S. Aveos now have a 5 yr powertrain like they do here.
    aveo has a spacious! interior and what looks to be a 'focus' type seating position with a higher hip point and really good plastics and fit and finish...dash layout is very cool and interesting...lots of nice play between textures that look better than the car's price....interior is big but outside is TINY. wouldn't wanna get hit in an Aveo.......and only 103hp on tap. But still, the cabin of the Aveo is a real nice place to be(by the looks of it). Very good presentation. It seems to be a car similar in spirit to my old Prizm (99) but actually looks bigger and more comfortable and nicer inside.

I didn't get inside my coworkers rental Aveo yet. Maybe I will before she turns it in. 4 could fit in there comfortably. It almost seems as big as a Focus inside but is much smaller outside. Hatch needs about another 6 inches of length/storage/crush space.

If there was a way to get 130-140 hp out of the thing and put 16 or 17 inch wheels on it for summer it would be a good around town car.

Its too small a car to take on trips, it would get pushed by the wind and would not ride good I don't think.

Nice job, Chevy......definitely an appealing car, much more so than Accent / Rio. Makes wanna go check out the Daewoo Suzuki Forenza.
  • bmcclainbmcclain Member Posts: 39
    30-40 extra horsepower, only to blow it on gigantic wheels?
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    to actually have some dealers with the aveo on the lot. I still wait :( Even if they called me today I doubt I could go because of the massive snow storms we keep getting. By the way $11,400 plus tax seems reasonable to me, I hope we get the extra warranty just for the extra peace of mind.
    I saw a Chevy Optra up here (Forenza twin) and it's pretty nice also. Price tag is unbelievably low and they have 0% for 48 months. Optra has 4-wheel discs standard.
    $11,400 for a hatch with the automatic transmission and air conditioning doesn't seem bad. The Forenza doesn't have 0% attached on it here in the states.
    forenza might be the real deal.......
    Chev dealer. This one was the metallic blue(looked nice in that color)and the $1000 was on the window.

Forenza isn't a bad car- under $16,000 you get leather...
    Just published is Edmunds First Drive of the 2004 Aveo. You can get to it from the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page.

Reactions?
    until you start the engine and shift its 5-speed tranny. Maybe the automatic is better (if slower), but the engine is very coarse and loud and the 5-speed is rubbery--worst I've used in a long time. Could use SABs too. Too bad, though, because otherwise it's a nice package for the money.
    Forenza is a pretty good car and as jchan2 said in the Forenza forum: "Being a Korean Corolla isn't a bad thing." 126HP is just about right for its target group of the Civic and Corolla. Interior is the best of those three. GMDAT might actually be doing something right!
    In GM's dreams, maybe. IMO the Elantra is far closer to Corolla standards than the Forenza. But the Aveo might give the ECHO a run for its money quality-wise--the ECHO is pretty "thin" for a Toyota.
    maybe the Forenza is more of a Korean Focus.
    backy: "the Elantra is far closer to Corolla standards than the Forenza"

I have to disagree. The Corolla has one of the most luxurious interiors in the compact class, as with the Forenza. The Elantra is a basic sedan that isn't supposed to be luxurious but sporty. Forenza is closer to Corolla because of its interior and comparable power figures (130 for Corolla, 126 for forenza). That's just my $.2.

Back to the Aveo--

Edmunds first drive said the Aveo will get a sunroof and premium audio system mid-year. Anyone have any more information and what is this premium audio system about!?! It's a subcompact car, and 6 speakers should be fine.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    rctennis3811-

"Anyone have any more information and what is this premium audio system about!?! It's a subcompact car, and 6 speakers should be fine."

That's it. SIX speakers as opposed to four. There is also an engine immobilizer available for $100.00 MSRP.

fastdriver
    4 speakers is fine for me.
    I have to point out one thing. The fact that the Forenza has similar power to the Corolla tells nothing about acceleration, or perhaps more importantly in this class, fuel efficiency. Given that the Forenza is heavier by 200 or 300lbs than the Corolla, I would expect both to suffer in comparison, so perhaps the vehicles overall execution isnt quite as strong as you'd like to believe. Certainly, this is how it seemed from backy's comprehensive review on the comparison thread, which is where this convo belongs, and why I'm going to get yelled at.

(Sorry, Pat).

However, my point regarding the Aveo does root in the acceleration/fuel efficiency tradeoff I just mentioned. The Aveo suffers here, as does practically every Korean offering in every market segment? Why? Yes, the ECHO may cost more initially, but its Edmunds True Cost to own is very similar. NO SABs is a big detriment, so if I, or anyone is going to go the Korean power/efficiency but low initial cost route, why should I not go with the Accent, which is ostensibly safer, due to STANDARD side airbags which protect head AND chest?

~alpha
    dealer experience, for a start. The Aveo is a pretty fun to drive car, as I've heard. And if you're looking for a five door hatchback, you could either buy a Scion xA for a lot more $$$ or an Aveo.
    I dont understand when people make the "dealer experience" argument. Who cares? I am at the sales department once, to buy/lease the vehicle, and since I'm an educated consumer and a decently shrwed business type, I could care less whether the guy selling me the car is a sleazeball. If he is, but ends up offering me the best price, I'll still buy from him, but disparage the dealership to anyone else considering it. I also intend to buy cars that see only routine servicing, and again, I know enough to understand someone in the service dept. offering to do a powerflush of my engine at 15,000mi. for $99.95 is a crock. And I'll just service my car at a different dealership. (Part of the benefits of living in the NYC suburbs are, for example, the 5 Toyota dealers within 15 miles of my home).

When you're paying 10 grand for a new car, you simply arent getting the same type of attention and service that would be paid you at a Lexus dealership. NOW, for that type of cash, the dealer HAD BETTER treat me like gold (or perhaps highly valued TIPS, since the price of gold is on the decline...)

~alpha
    even Aveo buyers right in the service department. They still owe someone who buys a $10,000 car good service, a competent explanation at the counter as to just what is being done to their car and why. If they did treat an Aveo buyer like that who only pays $10,000 maybe they'll have a better shot at selling that buyer a Cobalt or Malibu or Trailblazer next time, eh? $10,000 is $10,000, and the car should run like a top or be fixed for free under warranty until it does run like a top for a very long time for even a lowly $10,000. Chevy SHOULD do that and maybe some of their dealers will. Anyone buying an Aveo please keep us abreast of your entire Aveo purchase and ownership experience, in which you should be getting fully completely taken care of by your friendly Chevy dealer.

in 99 i bought a new prizm for 12 grand. some told me to buy saturn for the 'dealer experience'.

well, i never went back to the dealer i bought it from. i sold it about 3 years later. the sales experiece was good, but who cares about after sometimes! i got the oil changed at VIOC, and the car NEVER broke down, not even for an out of place piece of trim ro rattle.

point is, if you are buying a cheap car, get a good one so you don't have to go to the dealer!
    in 99 I bought a Civic, and five months later, I moved out of the state, but I have had to return to a local dealer for some work. (not oil changes, but more like the 30,000 mile service Honda does, and the 60K service..)
     in 02, I bought an Odyssey. The dealer experience was pleasant, but I've never serviced it there, as the drive was just too far from my house to justify going back. But, if I ever buy another Honda, I will consider that dealer.
This discussion has been closed.