Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The AVEO looks great!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    frenchcar-

In reference to your message #550. I didn't realize that my message was deleted again. Anyway, here's the revised version!

frenchcar-

Thanks. I imagine that was the delay- the sunroof and the engine immobilizer. It did say "late Spring availability".

One question- I am sure that I read somewhere that with the appearance package on the LS, you get FOGLIGHTS? Is that only for the hatchback with the spoiler or was I looking at the specs for the Canadian AVEO?

I will definitely give you my impressions of this car. It is replacing a 1994 Toyota Corolla base model that gave me ZERO problems until last year when the starter and alternator had to be replaced within several months of each other. Other than oil changes/tires, NOTHING ever had to be done to that car. Sold it to a friend of mine who loves it. It will be very interesting to see how this loaded AVEO compares!

fastdriver
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Does your Aveo have ABS? Have not seen one with sunroof AND abs yet.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    We had a chance to drive a hatchback that had ABS and a sunroof but that is the only one I have seen with that combo.
    We enjoyed your pictures and first review. Im not sure about fog lights but I know the mudguards are only standard in Canada. I didnt miss a center armrest- did you? I dont care for them that much but many cant live without them. Let me know some time if the Aveo is blown off course in a stiff crosswind at highway speeds. I only had one chance to drive one at 75 to 80 mph on the highway and there was no wind that day. Does your owners manual call for timing belt change at 60,000 miles??
  • fastdriver2fastdriver2 Member Posts: 19
    moparbad-

I have every option except the engine block heater.

frenchcar-

I wrote to a Canadian Chevy dealer. He told me that the foglights are standard on the LS model there. As for the mudguards, I see them on the car in pictures, but not offered as an option. HOWEVER, I went to the http://www.gmfleet.com site and looked up the complete specs for the AVEO and see something called "SPORT APPEARANCE PACKAGE" which includes wheels 14" aluminum, fog lamps and mudguards(and rear spoiler on 5-door only) which appears as AVAILABLE for the LS Sedan and LS Hatchback??????????

I called the GM Fleet number to inquire. They're just like Chrysler "customer service"- they had NO clue! I then called the Chevy "customer service" and came to the conclusion that they were former Chrysler "customer service reps" too! As soon as I can, I'm going to call Chevy in MI and find someone with a brain who can answer my question.

The owner's manual does mention foglights. It shows where the light would appear on the dash when they are on. It says that they turn off when you turn on the high beams. It shows you how to turn them on with the light stalk. It just doesn't tell you HOW to get them!! :-))))

As for the timing belt replacement, I did not even check it out because I'm sure I won't have this car that long to get anywhere near that mileage. My 2001 Acura is 38 months old and I only have 30,500 miles on it! The lease is up in September. I have NO clue what I'm getting then, but I'm almost positive that it will NOT be anything that requires premium or mid-grade fuel because I am not going to supplement the coffers of those playing games with these gas prices!

With all the storms in the NE, I'm sure I'll have a chance to drive it in some strong winds. I would assume I would feel it rocking and rolling. It's not a HUMMER! ;-))

Stay tuned. More pictures to come when I have a chance and after I get the Zaino job done on it. Maybe this weekend?

The room inside this car continues to amaze me. Maybe that TV commercial with those 7 ft. basketball players getting out, isn't too far from the truth! You do NOT get a feeling of claustrophobia in this car despite what it looks like on the outside.

fastdriver2 AKA fastdriver- once that account starts working again!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Interior looked very well designed with nice quality materials.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I have been trying to find out some info on the mud guards and fog lamps. I am pretty sure the 14" wheels are the same as you got on yours.

I found the mud guards here:

http://www.chevrolet.com/aveo/accessories.htm

Here is info on the 04 Aveo:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2004&- amp;butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=3&vehicleID=474&amp- ;type=0

Here is info on the 05 Aveo:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2005&- amp;butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=3&vehicleID=1129&am- p;type=0

No where do I see any mention of fog lamps.

And you are right the Canadian site shows models with fog lamps.

Here:

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevrolet/aveo/aveo_over- view.html
    Any Chevrolet dealer should be able to get the mud guards for you. As far as the fog lights go, if you are willing to pay I am sure you can get them since they are available in Canada. You can get GM parts at a pretty good price here:

gmpartsdirect - don't know if I can link that site.

You do however need to know the part number. Any service department can give them to you.

If you want to contact someone directly at GM headquarters I would suggest using email. They are usually very helpful. I don't really know if I can give names so I would suggest you go to the GM media site and look under Chevrolet and find a email contact in one of the press releases. If they can not answer your question they should pass it on to someone who can. Does that all make sense? I have done this before and have had email communications with people VERY high up in the GM organization. Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

media site:

http://www.media.gm.com/
    The Sport Red Metallic looks nice. Too bad you can't get it on the hatchback.
  • fastdriver2fastdriver2 Member Posts: 19
    bigdaddycoats -

Thanks for all the links. I will try e-mailing GM first before I call them.

As for lask of an armrest- I have one in the Acura. There was none in the Corolla. The only thing I miss about it is the storage area for various items. If Chevy offered one, I would try it out to see how it looks and feels.

fastdriver2 AKA fastdriver
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Isn't it odd how one market will have some options and other will not. Who is the bean head that picks these things. You should see what the car looks like in Europe with the sports pack on it. Talk about sporty!
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Very nice. I'm not a sedan lover but yours looks nice in silver. The lack of an arm rest is odd. Kia and Hyundai have them standard. I only drive 5 speeds because I hate automatics. I can see where a person that has an automatic would really want the arm rest. Hopefully GM will listen to the customer base and have a few upgrades soon.
    My only real moan about the car is I think the top of the dash and the back of the gauge hood should be black or very dark flat gray. Better yet offer a darker gray and maybe a tan interior with black dash top like VW... It my just be me but as it stands now the reflection of the dash in the windshield is annoying. Chrysler had this same problem when it first started selling Neon' s. The angle of the windshield reflected the light gray dash. It was so bad it was dangerous. We put a black dash cover on so we could drive the thing. That is another story...
  • aveodriveraveodriver Member Posts: 9
    Congrats on the delivery of your silver Aveo, fastdriver.

I bought a white sedan in February. We've driven it round trip TX to NY in March (sure wish it had cruise), now have 8000 miles on it. I just did the first oil change and tire rotation. Some South Korean gorilla torqued the oil filter on at the factory - I had to punch a screwdriver through it to get the leverage to remove it. We have been very happy with the aveo so far. The gas mileage is OK, but what really sold me on this car is the interior space, appearance and comfort, and the quiet ride. Also, my wife never did like the monster Dodge truck we traded in.
    You must be saving a lot of gasoline $$$ driving the AVEO compared to the Dodge you traded in!
    bigdaddycoats-

I took your advice and e-mailed someone last night at GM about this "elusive" GM "SPORT APPEARANCE PACKAGE" that comes with 14" aluminum wheels, fog lamps and mudguards. Besides the GM Fleet site, I also found it on one of the links at the GM media sites that you gave me. At the bottom of that page was the name of the same woman that I wrote to! No answer yet!

fastdriver

PS This screename is working again after several days of NOTHING! NO clue as to how it just started working again. I changed NOTHING on this end. Wonder if it has anything to do with how much you post and WHAT you say? Sylvia blocked my fastdriver2 screename that I COULD sign in with because she said I couldn't have two accounts!
    Yep, I am getting about 29MPG average with the Aveo, vs 16MPG average with the truck. The '02 Dodge was a great truck, but I couldn't justify the high cost of owning, running and insuring it. I've always been partial to small cars, and I'm glad I have another one. (I started out with a '73 PINTO !)

I wasn't going to pick white for the aveo until I saw one at the dealer. The only other choices at the time were the light blue or dark blue. The red hatch I first drove sold pretty quick. The wife was NOT going to go for the hatch anyway. Funny how some people are just dead set against hatchbacks. Probably a carryover from the Pinto and Vega and Gremlin days.
    aveodriver-

I have NOT seen a white AVEO or a Lt. Blue one. The local dealer has the red, bright blue, black and silver. The green, I saw at the car show in RI in February on a hatchback. As for gas mileage, I haven't used up my FIRST tank yet! :-)))

fastdriver
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey fastdriver, glad to see your account is working again. In the future if you have any more trouble, you need to use the Town Hall Help link of the left side of the page. If you re-check your Membership Agreement, you will see that registering under more than one member ID is not allowed.

That said, none of this type conversation belongs in our topic-oriented discussions. You are welcome to pursue this via email with me or Sylvia or via that Help link.

Thanks, and I hope your login problems don't return!
    I haven't seen a light blue one at all. I did see a stripped down white one without alloy wheels in front of a Wal Mart parking lot one day while leaving, though, and I did see a silver one pull out of a Shell Gas Station a few weeks back, not to mention those red and blue Enterprise rentals I saw two months back.
    All new owners of aveos - check the tire pressure. They ship with around 45 or 50 lbs, and the dealer is supposed to let down to 35 lbs as part of the make-ready process, but my dealer didn't.
    aveodriver -

LOL.. funny you mention that. I DID bring my tire gauge with me when I went to pick up my car, but forgot to check the pressure. As soon as I hit the first tar strip, I knew they were OVER inflated! Mine did have 45 lbs. in each tire too.

They are now at 30 lbs.

fastdriver
    Can someone tell me what those two little round lens are next to the headlights? What is their function?

fastdriver
    frenchcar & jchan2-

I didn't get my current issue of Motor Trend yet. Maybe it will come today.

I never drove any of the other cars that supposedly compete with the AVEO, but just remember how they made fun of Hyundai the past several years. Now look where they stand in the current JD Power survey! ;-)) Right up there with Toyota!

Besides, they drive so many cars that they never get a chance to live with it everyday except in their long term tests. Testing a car for a day or so doesn't make you appreciate all the little nuances a car may have that they may not notice with a quick drive.

Everytime I do something to the AVEO, I notice something new like the little lip on the trunk and the nice curve at the bottom of the rear bumper that doesn't have a little cutout with a scrawny exhaust sticking out! Little touches that add to its charm. I did a size comparison with the Toyota Corolla and the AVEO sedan and they are just about the exact same inside even though the AVEO is shorter.

So far, so good. Everything works, nothing leaks, nothing fell off and the car goes straight! What more could one ask for? ;-))))

fastdriver
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Interesting you'd mention how they have treated Hyundai. When you look at the few reviews they have done on Hyundais over the past few years compared to other car mags and Edmunds.com, MT has pretty much ignored Hyundai. For example, they did not even consider the Elantra GT in their COTY voting in the year it was eligible. When they do comparos, they tend to exclude Hyundais. Other reviewers, including C/D, CR, and Edmunds.com, have been mostly favorable about Hyundais over the past few years. They have even been saying nice things about Kias lately.
    Now that I think back about it, they haven't tested a Hyundai in a comparison test in a long time. In fact, I forget the isse they tested it in!
    Today was the first time I opened the hood of the AVEO for a minute! I discovered TWO fans behind the radiator. I also answered my question above about those two rounds "lights" next to the headlights. They're NOTHING. Dummies. It looks like you could put some lights in there. It must be a Canadian thing like the fog lights!

I'll have to write to that Chevy dealer again up there and ask him if the Canadian AVEO'S have bulbs in there.

Still no answer from that lady I wrote to at Chevy. Maybe she was away for the long weekend.

Enjoy the weekend all. Happy Memorial Day to all- five of you here! ;-))))

fastdriver
    I read on some website that the top speed of the Aveo is 110 MPH, "drag limited".

Has anyone been able to exceed 110 MPH? I got mine up to 110, and even on a downhill section of interstate, it would NOT go any faster. I only held it at 110 for a mile of so, then backed off. I do not normally speed, but I like to know what the car will do.
  • lbeasmanlbeasman Member Posts: 10
    Hello everybody-new to the Edmund's site. Very good info.
     I' am in a dilemma--Need a good reliable econobox. Got a 10 yr old Windstar to get rid of but also paying on an '03 Dodge Durango. Obvious $$ is tight. Looking for something closer to< $15k
    Issue to debate--What should I get---4 dr base Chevy Aveo or Saturn ION 1.they are real close in pricing.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Are those your only two choices because of a GM credit card? If not, the Hyundai Elantra warrants VERY SERIOUS consideration. A basic GLS offers a lot more car for the money than either the ION or Aveo, and after the $2000 rebate (but before tax, title, license) the 5-speed model is only $11,000.
    Something to consider.

~alpha
  • lbeasmanlbeasman Member Posts: 10
    In fact, I have a $490 "gm car credit rebate". I was trying to use that along w/cash back.
    the Aveo LS, loaded and use all incentives. You won't get much frige options with the ION, but you will be able to negotiate the price and get more options like a Sunroof and Alloys on the Aveo.
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    fastdriver, have you noticed the difference in the paint on your car? Specifically, the rear bumper and gas lid-compare that to the rest of your car--see what I mean? Does the silver paint match better when it's cloudy outside?
    rae52 -

WOW! I never noticed that. I think it was just the reflection and the way the sun was hitting the car. I'll check it out whenever it stops raining around here.

I do know that in many other forums there is a lot of discussion about the paint on the metal and the paint on the bumper changing color over time. It seems as if painting rubber bumpers is still not as good as painting metal. I do know that it does seem to vary by color. This is my first silver car ever. I usually like red or white, but neither one of those colors looked good on the AVEO in my opinion.

I'll take more pics and let you know what I see. Thanks.

fastdriver
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Thanks for posting all those pictures, all that's left is to give us all a test drive!
    muffin_man-

So far the longest trip(aside from the day I got it) was Sunday- 45 miles one way on I-95. Car is quiet. Almost NO road/wind noise. No trouble keeping up with traffic. Rides great. Tried an MP3 CD in there that I burned with iTunes songs from my Macintosh. Put it in- radio said something like FILECHECK and then it played! Sounded great.

As time goes on, I guess I'll have more to say. Right now, I really like this car.

fastdriver
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    So if those lights in the headlight cluster are dummy lights, what serves as the parking light in the front? Do the turn signals light up as the parking light?
    nice pictures! thanks!
    lngtonge18-

The yellow lights below the headlights light up and serve as the turn signal lights. I just wish I knew WHAT those dummy lights are for. I received a response from a Canadian dealer who said that they are not used on the Canadian AVEOS either!

I wrote to some woman at Chevy last week, but no response yet. That e-mail was concerning the "Appearance package" that includes the aluminum wheels, mudguards and foglights that I have read about at several sites, but one for which the dealer has NO order code! She's probably still looking for an answer too because the Chevy "customer service" people, who must have been hired from Chrysler's "customer service", have NO clue either!

I'll give her until the end of the week before I call her.

fastdriver
    May sales - 4993
    do we have the sales numbers for the Rio, xA, Accent and ECHO?
    The initial goal set last Fall by Chevrolet was to sell 5,000 per month of the Aveo or 60000 per year and that is about what they will achieve after it has been on the road a year or so. They expect the new 2005 Cobalt series to be a large volume seller but keep in mind that the larger the car the better the profit for the factory. One of the purposes of the Aveo was to have a low cost economical entry level vehicle to appeal to young people while helping to offset the gas hog figures of some of GM's SUV truck models in order to comply with the CAFE requirements. Also keep in mind that the Aveo, Pontiac Wave, Suzuki Swift Plus in Canada all have to come from the same GM-Daewoo plant in Korea that puts out the popular Daewoo Kalos (Aveo) for the rest of the world. Sales are way up in Europe and up 40 % in the UK. You have to total up the sales for all of the above if you want to compare to the Scion xA or Rio, Accent, etc. I think they are on target. Eventually they will have increased capacity when the plant in India comes on stream and the Chinese engine plant and the new Italian diesel engine joint venture plant in Korea get going for the 2006 model year. Looking good.
    bigdaddycoats & jchan2-

I found April sales:

CHEVY AVEO: 3,900 WITH YTD 11,783

KIA RIO: 4,773 WITH YTD 12,700

HYUNDAI ACCENT: 3,792 WITH YTD 15,073

TOYOTA ECHO: 356 WITH YTD 1,694

fastdriver
    The Toyota Echo must really be a slow seller if Chevrolet sold more Aveos in the month of April than Toyota sold Echos for the whole year to date.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Im not sure why this vehicle is lingering around. Scion has basically destroyed the ECHO in markets in which it is available, and Toyota pretty well pulled the plug on ECHO fleet sales as well. Actually, I do know why the ECHO is lingering- CAFE standards. Unlike the Aveo, Rio, and Accent the ECHOs numbers are seriously high, and do a good deal for Toyota. Finally, ECHO sales are also slow because there are no rebates that are used to push the vehicle. The Rio, for example, has a $1500 rebate, which is practically 15% of the car.

But yea, the ECHO is superflouous, and I expect you'll see it die ASAP after Toyota's big hybrid push is in full effect (Highlander, Camry, etc.).

~alpha
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Well, here in Canada where gas prices are a bit higher than in the US the ECHO is selling very well (50.000 per year).

The real world mileage you get out of this 10k to 14k car is 41 MPG with the automatic (my personal experience over more than 3 years and 90 k miles) and closer to 45 MPG with the manual transmission.

Not everyone needs or cares (or can afford) a wasteful SUV or truck that only achieves 15 to 20 MPG.
    I just called that lady at GM RE: that elusive "Appearance package", to see if she still works at GM because I haven't heard from her. I did get her voicemail and left her a message. I didn't leave my phone number because she'd most likely call back when I would not be available to talk or have all my notes in front of me. She has my e-mail.

Will keep you informed- all 5 of you! ;-))

fastdriver
    good. we all want to know the latest about this "Appearance Package"
    Sorry you have yet to get a response. This method has worked for me in the past. i hope it works for you as well. Sometimes it does take a little while. If you do not get a reply from her, try Dave Roman.
This discussion has been closed.