Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I would test drive another manual Aveo just to verify the dealer's comments. That being said, I have heard of this occuring on other manual tranny equipped cars in an effort to reduce the emissions the engine releases. By holding the rpms up briefly during shifts (instead of dropping them immediately), it supposedly burns off some of the emissions that normally would be released out the exhaust. I know my former 2000 Hyundai Accent manual would do the same thing when pushing the engine to the upper rpms. The slow rpm drop did make shifting odd and seemed to cause more clutch wear during hard acceleration. These tactics are often used on engines that aren't as modern and clean burning in order to meet stricter emissions guidelines, which holds true for the dated engine in the Aveo.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    The current Aveo engine is inherited from the old Lanos, right? But I've heard things like, "Suzuki worked it over," or, "GM provided it," etc. Know anything further about it?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Yes, the Aveo's engine came from the Lanos. It's a GM engine built by Holden in Australia. There is nothing wrong with the engine; it's just not a very modern design. It dates back to around 1997, with very few if any updates since then.
  • fuelmiserfuelmiser Member Posts: 26
    Thanks to Intonge18 and Muffin_man for your comments.

I guess there is no fix for this problem, right?

I wish I had known of this before I bought the car, because it is very annoying and I am sure that it is causing excessive clutch wear.

I would advise anybody who is thinking about buying a manual transmission Aveo, and who has any concerns about all about smooth shifting or clutch wear, to investigate this problem thoroughly before making the purchase. Maybe there are implications for the automatic transmission, too...
  • jojomonkeyboyjojomonkeyboy Member Posts: 43
    I've test driven 2 stick-shift Aveos.

I thought the clutch was a bit soft and it seemed like it had way too much travel - And I think the shifter is like a broomstick in a bucket. But the cars I drove didn't rev up after I took my foot off the gas. I would have noticed it. And I wasn't shifting smoothly or quickly -(I think it takes A LOT of practice to get to the point where you shift quickly and smootly in an Aveo -IMO).
    That really stinks - I would insist that the dealership let you test drive another Aveo to see if it is the same way. Don't take their word for it. Or try another dealership, one advantage to owning a Chevy is that there are plenty of them.

What you're describing doesn't sound normal - don't let them screw you.
    Today I had a phone conversation with Wendy at the General Motors' complaint line (800-222-1020). I called 12 days ago and explained the problem of the rpm's rising during the shift. Wendy informed me today that she had researched the problem and that it is "design-intended", and that no fix was under consideration or even necessary. She offered to send me the address of the Better Business Bureau so I could take my complaint to them!

GM may try to explain this away by saying it was "design-intended" but it is still a defect. No one who drives a manual shift car would want to have the engine work like this, and if some engineer intended this to happen, then he or she is just plain stupid. This is a defect and it is inexcusable. It may have come about because of the reasons given above by Ingtonge18 or Mufffin_man; I cannot shed any light on that. Whatever the reason, this car has a problem. If any of you out there are considering purchasing a manual shift Aveo, I would strongly advise you to stay away. Don't get stuck with a problem like this one!
    Had you test driven this car before you bought it? (I have yet to drive a manual) Sounds like you are in a very unfortunate situation - I wonder why I've never heard it mentioned in a review.

Maybe you can get used to the shifting? Is it at least consistent? I mean, do you think you could start timing a pause into your shift?
  • talldriver1talldriver1 Member Posts: 16
    I have the automatic hatch so don't have this rpm 'problem' but my other car is the SVT Focus which also do the same rpm rising thing whenever I step down the clutch. This is not only to my car; if you could find all the road tests for the SVT Focus from different magazine they all mention this. Most believe this is for the emission control; I am not sure but I am sure there is a reason other than defect; I believe this is mostly a "design-intended"; like GM said. I got use to this and it doesn't bother me that much now. FYI I have that car for 20000 miles and no problem at all so far.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it is to minimize emissions. That's all...it won't adversely affect performance nor fuel consumption. Now, to tune it out you would probably have to mess with a sensor or timer of some sort and nobody from GM with half a brain is gonna help you with that project. Just try to get used to it or get rid of the car. I know what you mean, though, it does seem like it would get annoying. Why doesn't it happen on everybody's Aveo? Does it happen on all of your Aveo's?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• weckageweckage Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2004 Aveo 4-dr sedan yesterday. Last night the car would chirp when I pushed the 'lock' button on the key. Today it no longer chirps. Is this a problem? Is the chirp controllable?

TIA
  • tabbyjtabbyj Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to drive the Aveo in snowy conditions. If so, how did it handle, if not, would anyone care to make a prediction of how it will handle.

The Aveo is currently at the top of my list, but winter driving is a major consideration since I leave for work before most plow/salt trucks are out.
    I've driven the Aveo in about a half inch of snow, with stock tires, but I don't think that helps you.

For the record, I'm not used to driving in snow, and I slid once. But no other significant incident.
  • tabbyjtabbyj Member Posts: 6
    for the reply. It helps some. We can wake up to anywhere from half an inch to six inches of snow here in PA. Since I'm still not sure if I would want a sedan or a hatch, I think I'll post this on the hatch board as well. Seems that board is a little more active.

Thanks again.
  • talldriver1talldriver1 Member Posts: 16
    I haven't see you post the winter driving question on the hatch forum yet so I post my 2 cents here.
    I haven't drove this car on snow yet but I am sure I will as I live in NJ which is not too far away from PA and will have about the same amount of snow. I believe this car with stock tires (mine is Kumho 722) will not do that well in snow. The problem is on the tires; if you go to tirerack.com and do research on that tire you'll see many people give a bad mark on snow performance. When a car without a stability control (like Aveo and every other car in this class except Scion XB) then all the snow traction will be depend on the tire. One good thing with Aveo is that it have a not so wide 185 tire (185/60R14); the less width of the tire the better in snow. If you look at the FIAA World Rally car you would see even those rally car use a 'thinner' tire when running on snow track.
    I like this car, just not yet sure if this car is reliable (but it's nicely build!). If you worry about the snow traction, just change the tires to a nicer one like Bridgestone Potenza G009 ($51 each before install) and you'll be happy!
    Hope this help!
    It seems to me the most important factor is the percent of weight on the driving (front) wheels. I had an 87 Chev Sprint (that was a great car - got 50+ mpg and lasted 17 years, 209,000 miles) that did unbelievably well in the snow. I have not yet tried out my Aveo hatchback in snow conditions, but I will let you know how it goes. What about snow tires in the front? Will that help and is it advisable with stock tires in the rear? Does anybody know the percent of weight on the driving wheels for the Aveo hatchback?

Will the thinner tires referred to above by talldriver help the fuel mileage? I am getting about 32 mpg in spite of very careful driving, most of it at about 45 mph.

The problem of engine rpms going up during a shift (see my earlier postings here) is worse in cold weather. It is very annoying and I would advise potential buyers to stay away from this car because of it. It is very difficult to do a smooth shift, and I am sure the clutch will wear out prematurely. What a stupid way to solve an emissions problem!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    GM is focusing more of its attention on China -- and that's why the debut of the new Chevrolet Aveo sedan took place last week at the Shanghai auto show. The new Aveo four-door is again built in South Korea by the GM Daewoo joint venture; a version for China will be built and sold by Shanghai General Motors, a joint venture between GM and Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. Group (SAIC). The new Aveo gets revised styling, with distinct trim to differentiate it from the hatchback model. Foglamps and 15-inch wheels are standard. GM says the Aveo's overall length of 169.7 inches and width of 67.3 are the largest in its segment. In China, power comes from a 1.4-liter four or a 1.6-liter four, teamed with either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic. There's no official on-sale date for the U.S.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    The only way I can get my car to do the same with the engine rpm's going up like yall describe is to not take my foot off the accelerator before I hit the clutch.
  • foeevervike61foeevervike61 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know this. Car is 1 yrd old with 6k miles on it and its in shop today, sound like shock or real bad front end problem occured. Does anyone know the maximum weight this car can carry. We sometimes have like 3 big adults and 2 kids in car.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    An '05 sedan LS on our lot shows maximum capacity for people and cargo to be 858 pounds. I don't have any '04s to check.
    the 2004 is the same as the 2005 on payload .
  • hayesbcajhhayesbcajh Member Posts: 3
    Can you be more specific on your problem? What were the symptoms? When it was cold I had a creaking in the front end and never got it checked out. Doesn't do it in the warm weather now.
  • lemon2lemon2 Member Posts: 3
    Aveo is nothing but problems. My Aveo has 19,000 and has been to the dealer 10 times for one problem after the another. Clock problems you bet. Front bounce at 60 MPH. Rack replaced, arms replaced, rear seat belts defective, cuts tires, stearing problems and it goes on and on. Dealer is dumb founded and says maybe you have a lemon here. Thank you GM, I guess you get what you pay for right.? Get yourself and Aveo and you'll nerver let go " the stearing wheel that is" hang on folks when the wind is over 10 MPH don't drive it "WALK". lemo
  • lemon2lemon2 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like a problem I have all the time.If thats the sound you are hearing "Good Luck" that's all I can say. You problems are just starting. You tires will start to cut next and the dealer will want to replace eveything in the front end, but nothing he will fix will ever stay fixed.
  • melba2004melba2004 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking about buying a 2004 Aveo sedan. Does anyone have any advice for me? Any significant problems I should know about? Would you recommend it?
    No, I have not had any problems what so ever. Great mileage and good ride.
    ...and perfect so far.
  • ratsoferrariratsoferrari Member Posts: 20
    I am also looking at the aveo's and have been asking the owners how they like their cars.Two owners said they were very happy with the aveo, and the other owner complained about a cracked windshield, a radio that had to be replaced, and a headlight that was out.She also was not happy with waiting a long time for the dealer to get the replacement parts.Since her 2004 aveo is under warranty I guess it didn't cost anything to fix it.All three problems don't sound like major mechanical troubles which is the most important thing.I will be holding off buying an Aveo until the 2006 model comes out, hopefully it will have the 15 inch tires like the new model just introduced in China.
    well the windshield is usually caused by debris and what was wrong with the headlight and the radio?
    well she told me the headlight just went out no reason given, I noticed as she pulled out the drivers side headlight was out. the radio she really didn't say what was wrong with it but she said it was taking a long time for the parts to come in.The windshield could have been hit by a stone while she was driving or maybe during transport to the dealer. By the way there is a lime green aveo on the lot at the local dealer. It has been here for over a month.Most of the aveos at this NJ chevy dealer are loaded with options bringing the sticker price to over 15 thousand dollars.Guess I may have to order mine if I decide to get a 2006.
    Oh, I if the bulb was out that shouldn't be a big deal that happen even on new cars sometime. parts for the radio that sounds strange....they usually just pull the unit and change them out. Anyway.....
    Fifteen thousand for an Aveo damn I would order mine too. Mine was marked down below $10,000 plus the march madness deals and such I paid about $7,900 for mine. Y'all sure get ripped off up north alot on car prices.....why?
    So what does everyone thing about the 2006/2007 Aveo pics that have been floating around?
    Everything is more expensive in NJ car insurance, tolls (it costs 6 dollars to cross major bridges up here) and the general cost of living.The aveo I want can be ordered for less then 13 grand,I will not buy one with options that are not needed.
    The only thing that is cheap in NJ is gas and self service is not allowed.
    The new 2006-7 aveo pics look good to me the style changes look good.Just wondering what the hatchback will look like and if the same old mediocre gas mileage engine will be the same in the 2006 aveo.
    By the way has anyone added motorsilk to their aveo engines? This stuff coats the engine and is supposed to increase gas mileage, it is used in the military but is now available commercially.
    I have not heard of motorsilk. I will check into that.
    6dollars to cross a bridge that is just screwed up.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    C&D magazine or MT, I can't remember which has an article on the next Aveo sedan. It says that the Sedan we get here in the USA will be built in China. The chinese market will get leather and wood trim....gag....
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The chinese market will get leather and wood trim

Do I hear a Saab 9-1X coming soon? :P :surprise: :cry:
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    That is both very funny and very sad......
    I agree. A Korean built car can never be a Saab. Neither can a Japanese built or American built car be a Saab. A Saab is wholly European, or more specific, Swedish. (But isn't the 9-3 Convertible built in Austria though?)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, Saab disagrees with you on that. Just as not all Volvos are wholly Swedish, or even European. The car market is world wide now. "Korean" cars are being built in Europe, the U.S., and China. Mercedes and BMWs are being built in China and the U.S., in addition to Europe. VWs are built in Europe and Mexico. It's a complex world.
    But those VWs built in Mexico feel like a VW, drive like a VW, and look like a VW. Those Saabs being built in Japan and Moraine, Ohio look like a Saab, but they don't feel or drive like one.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In terms of quality/reliability, I'm not sure that's a good thing (about the VWs).

Personally I don't think the Suba-Saab or Satur-Saab look like Saabs (I think my Hyundai hatchback looks more like a Saab than those vehicles), but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, I don't think anyone needs to worry about the Aveo becoming the next Saab. Much too small a car for the market Saab is in.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    for getting the subject vehicle back into the topic ... :-)

Folks, let's don't get too far afield from the Aveo here, please.
    I am more and more impressed with my car every day .....

Has anyone seen those chrome rings that fit about the instrument panel ...the circular part..I saw them in an Aveo and the dash trim was different on in the middle like carbon fiber is was nice.....I mean the middle of the dash like where it is black and the clock is at.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Yes, But I don't know where you can get them in the USA. The Aveo is sold in Canada by Suzuki as the Swift+. If you go to their web site and look under accessories they show a huge list of things to buy for the Aveo/Swift+ . Chrome rings and dash kits too. Aluminum , wood or carbon fiber. They also have body kits, shift knobs ect...I just do not know how you could buy them. I have heard Canadian Dealers will not sell to Americans . Some sort of stink the US dealers put up because the Canadians could sell cheaper than the US dealers. Funny how Corp' America can control things... In England the government is doing the opposite. It is much cheaper to buy a car in France. The government is trying to make it easier for the consumer to buy from France. The only problem there is French market cars are left hand drive and England is right.
    Really....well let me see. I have a friend in Toronto I wonder if he could ship that stuff to me.....
    I will check out the canadian website.

Thanks
  • fire1557fire1557 Member Posts: 1
    This engine run-on when you go to shift is caused by a device called an anti-backfire valve. When the engine detects a lean engine condition, like when you let off the gas, the anti-backfire valve opens and air is injected into the manifold to prevent a lean fuel-air condition from backfiring through the carbs or injector ports. It is annoying, but the only way to stop it, is to put a plug into the manifold where the injector is located. But when you do that, the valve then makes an aweful racket.
    I have a 2005 Aveo with the same condition. I'm going to see what the dealer will do but I believe there's nothing he can do because it's related to emission controls.
  • bolton323bolton323 Member Posts: 6
    Ok, I ordered the Rostra Cruise Control from MNL Electronics. It says an hour to install...it took me 6.5.

Part of it was the battery tray bolts were so tight, I broke a couple of sockets on them..that was frustrating.

The directions could be MUCH better-more detailed and listed step by step.

Bottomline-it works now and I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself. Definitely better now that I can rest my right foot for the most part. Being 6" with size 13 feet makes it hard to stay on a pedal at a consistent speed in a small car like the Aveo.
  • hayesbcajhhayesbcajh Member Posts: 3
    When my car was new I was getting mid 20s for mileage. After about 5k miles it really increased. Now, if I drive no more than 70 on the highway I will get up to 40mpg. Overall I'm at about 36/37mpg. Not bad considering the car had a decent amount of power. BTW, I have the 5 spd.
  • bolton323bolton323 Member Posts: 6
    I received a recall notice on mygmlink.com page this morning. The site won't tell you what the recall is, so you have to call the dealership to find out.

The service department told me the recall is to have you bring your Aveo in so they can upgrade the onboard software ECM. It is supposedly so they can better diagnose issues with the computer when you bring it in.

They had to have the last 8 numbers of the VIN to determine if I needed it or not. Maybe it's just me, but it is strange to recall a vehicle just to upgrade how dealerships can diagnose your vehicle.

Glenn
    I have a 2004, and haven't heard of a recall - but don't belong to mygmlink. Please let us know what happens at the dealership.
This discussion has been closed.