Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    All Aveo's come with power steering, although not variable assist.

As far as GMDAT doing a good job, I'm not sure I would agree. This is a car that's far better than most small cars of the 70s and 80s, but is a good 10 years behind the best in its class. With the Toyota Yaris due out and new Rio/Accent models, the Aveo is an oxcart by comparison in its niche.

Having nearly 50k on my 2004 now, its just basic transportation, nothing more. Performance, handling and the body structure are only so-so and fuel economy is plainly sub-standard for a 2300 lb. vehicle with a 1.6L engine -- there are mid-sized cars with V6s that can match or beat the Aveo in MPGs.

Reliability is still a gigantic question mark -- I certainly know that the dealers don't pay much attention to it since they make little to no profit and probably figure that Chevy will drop the model shortly. Parts, except for the most basic filters, are totally unavailable.

I've heard that the current Aveo will remain unchanged through 2008 and then be dropped in the US. It hasn't made any mark on the buying public and would have to greatly improve to compete with much newer and more desirable models from Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Scion and Hyundai/Kia.

Nov. 2005 sales are down 44% from 2004 to 3600, less than the Hummer H3 sales of 4400.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    The people that are getting bad mileage, is that the automatic? I have a 5-speed and I am still getting 29-40{city/highway}.
    I was wondering if you bought a Aveo and if you got a 5-speed or an autobox? It seems in the past year or so of people complaining about mileage it has always been the autobox they have had problems with. I do have a 5-speed and now that the car is broke in {over 10,000 miles} I average about 27-31 city and 37-40 on the highway. I am a pretty easy going driver though. mixed mileage by the way is about 34.
    I have the automatic. The mileage is very erratic depending on driving style and type of roads. I've seen just shy of 40 in the summer on a run to NYC at fairly sedate speeds or mileage in the 20s on hilly country roads.

The car seems extremely touchy that way. My last few cars (all automatic 4 cylinders) barely varied more than 2 MPG while filling up no matter what type of driving was involved. The difference between urban or highway driving didn't cause 10 MPG swings from tank to tank.

Until the cold weather set in (Northeast), my average overall was about 32-33 MPG.

I always top off the tank and calulate from fuel used.
    I guess that seems kinda normal for an automatic maybe a little bit to much of a swing for my taste. I haven't drove an automatic in years because of the lower mileage they give.
    No, it's not normal for an automatic. Had a Voyager minivan -- always got between 22-24 mpg, no matter what. Same for 2 Kias I drove for several years -- except for winter, they got 32 mpg rain or shine, give or take 1 mpg.

The older automatics were considerably worse than a manual trans, but have improved in the past 15 years or so due to 4-speeds with overdrive and locking torque converters. I spend most of my time in overdrive, so there's no slippage and the final drive ratio is actually higher than the 5-speed Aveo.

Basically, a 2350 lb. car with 103 hp should be solidly mid-30s for gas mileage and that seems to be one of the biggest complaints from Aveo owners. It's also mentioned in professional reviews -- Car and Driver in their road tests only got actual fuel economy of 24 mpg with a 5-speed, the same as a V-6 auto trans Malibu Maxx that weighs 1100 lbs. more than an Aveo.
    24 m.p.g. for a 5-speed Aveo sounds awful. I don't drive that fast but I do have a lot of stop and go and short drives here and there. The worst I got was 27 and that was when the car was new not bad for the city and with less than 300 miles on the odometer. Now I am getting really good about town and on the highway. About 31-40, better than the 27-35 I was suppose to get. I do run mid-grade in my car.
    All I can say is that I haven't had anything happen to my Aveo. I will keep my fingers crossed.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The new Aveo was unveiled (today?) at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Looks like a big improvement over the current model, but the engine may be a carryover--103 hp.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/AutoshowArticles/articleId=108750

Host, do we need a new discussion for this new model, or just carry forward in this one?
  • caiocaio Member Posts: 1
    My sister-in-law has a Chevy Aveo 2004 with 26K miles. She was complaining that her car was not moving while in drive and making a cruncky noise when closing to a stop. She took the car to a dealer and they said, "Nothing is wrong". This week she is driving my car and I'm driving the Chevy Aveo.

When the car is cold, it goes to 3.5 to 4K RPM before start moving. It just not responds, or takes a while to get traction. I took the car to the same dealer and show them what was going on. They heard the noise and the feedback I got next morning was: "we will change the transmission fluid".

Today a got the car. It still not responding well but it is a little better. If I put in drive (D4) and do not step on the gas, the car does not move 1 inch.

According to my sister-in-law, it was not like that before. Any clues, suggestions, recommendation are very welcome.

THK, Caio

When the car is cold, it goes to 3.5 to 4K RPM before start moving. It just not responds, or takes a while to get traction. I took the car to the same dealer and show them what was going on. They heard the noise and the feedback I got next morning was: "we will change the transmission fluid".

Today a got the car. It still not responding well but it is a little better. If I put in drive (D4) and do not step on the gas, the car does not move 1 inch.

How cold are we talking here? If it's way below freezing, most automatics will barely move until the engine and transmission warm up. I have the same year Aveo with auto and it's a bit sluggish if cold. It's designed not to shift from 3rd to 4th until the engine reaches a certain temperature.

I believe that it's normal not to move unless the accelerator is pressed, but revving to 3 or 4K rpms is a sign of some greater problem with the transmission.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a or have already purchased the new subcompact cars because of the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are considering.

---------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have traded-in their larger SUV for a smaller vehicle, because of the high cost of gas. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and car you traded-in and the current car you own.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    Howdy Freinds, This here's Tubb Bilford Jr speaking

I have devoted a lot of research into the Aveo due to low price and how it sips gas rather than guzzle. However, I have read in the Edmunds roadtest of the 2004 LS hatch, that Chevy/Daewoo engineers used wide gear ratios on the mauaul tranny. They said it was to cut down on the shifting around town, but also that it forsed drivers to downshift to 3rd on freeway driving. I know that certainly there are Aveo owners here who own the stick shift so can any of yawll inform me if this is really the case. Any input will be appreciated.Thanks!

Tubb Bilford Jr
  • barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    The '07 Sedans are out !!
    Does anybody have the specs ?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Specs are here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/17/chevy-launches-2007-aveo-sedan/

The press release notes that the standard side torso airbags also provide head protection, something I did not know before (or maybe they were upgraded from '06). There are currently two major approaches to head protection: side curtain airbags which drop from the ceiling, and side torso airbags with an extension that also protects the front row heads.

Integrating head and torso protection into side airbags (Ford also does this on the Focus, but the are optional there) provides complete side body protection, but only for the front seat occupants. Separate side curtain airbags can easily extend to the rear, to protect rear seat occupants as well - that's how it works on the Impala, which has them standard (but not standard torso protection) and on this year's Malibu.

I think Chevy made the right decision in the Aveo. Most cars have single occupants anyway; and with a car in the Aveo's class size, adult rear passengers are much rarer. Kids in child seats won't benefit much from rear side curtains, and even a little bigger kids are usually too low in the seat for side curtains to help. So Chevy did a smart job of triage and gave front seat occupants full protection. Thanks!

The Aveo has now proved it's no "flash in the pan" for Chevy. This is the second full year of production with a much upgraded model. I would probably now recommend this to my friends instead of the Scion xA or Toyota Yaris since it is a better supported model, and would even recommend that friends on a budget consider it over a Fit, since the Fit is so overpriced in my opinion (a subcompact car with a compact price).

I see a lot of these around San Francisco. Chevy has hit a home run with the Aveo!

(Be aware that the 5 door hatchback continues forward unchanged this year, it has none of the sedan's improvements.)
    I dont understand what you mean about driving in 3rd gear on the freeway.....I dont. It is just about like every other small car with a manual I have driven for the past ....28 years. Automatics downshift by themselve when you pass, and on a manual you have to do it yourself. It just depends on how fast you are going, and how fast you are trying to pass. Sometimes you might have to shift into 3rd. ;)
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview 18-25 year olds on what type of car they are looking to purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalatiedmunds.com no later than Thursday, August 24, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A tv reporter seeks to interview sub-compact (Aveo, Fit, Versa, Yaris) drivers who live or work within 25 miles of Manhattan. Please send your daytime contact info, location and vehicle make/model to alex_cohen@businessweek.com and/or jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, August 29, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• photograntphotogrant Member Posts: 2
    Well my '04 aveo just cost me 1600 dollars. The timing belt went and the values bent. Got a value job done and asked my mechanic when the maintenance on the belt was required. The owner's manual says 60,000. My car has 93,000.I did some research and California law requires timing belts to last up to 105,000 miles. It looks like GM went cheap and did not upgrade the belts. My car was checked the last time I bought it in for service and my mechanic said all my belts were fine. I am thinking about filing a class action lawsuit against GM. This could be a huge problem for aveo owners. I commute over 100 miles per day that's the reason for the high mileage.
  • scaveoscaveo Member Posts: 2
    my 04 sedan zips around town from 1-3, but it has no power on the freeway. occasonally I have to hit 3rd up hills, and passing is downright is slow. my only complaint is i wish it had more power, Im thinking about getting a chip, you can find it on ebay, but the gas milage i get it insane.
  • robw27robw27 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I feel your pain,
    My Aveo just cost me $2,000 for my timing belt and head to be replaced, i wish i heard about the problem before mine went. my car only has 74,000 miles on it, i have a long drive to work as well, how did you find out about the law suit? i need to check on any in my state, i am in Michigan, i have had alot of problems with my car my throw out bering went right off the bat like 6 months old.
    hope things works out with your Aveo
  • potvinbpotvinb Member Posts: 2
    :sick: My son just had the same thing happen to his car while he was driving. The car just died and he had to have it towed to a shop. They just called and said they won't work on it because the valves/pistons might be bent. The car is 2-1/2 years old and has less than 50,000 miles on it. This just shouldn't have happened! His gas cap and manual door locks have also broken. The car is crap! If there's a lawsuit out there, I'd like to know about it.
  • willyt3willyt3 Member Posts: 2
    Accidentally posted an earlier message in the hatchback stream. I need to know if an 07 sedan front bumper cover will fit an 05 sedan. They loo :) k really close.
    A reporter from a large national newspaper is looking to speak to anyone who has purchased a small car in the past couple of months. If you purchased this car as an additional car for the family versus a replacement, please note that as well. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 10, 2007.
  • alchemist1alchemist1 Member Posts: 2
    I heard a strange hissing sound when accelerating in my '04 Aveo sedan (auto trans, 56,700 miles)and decided to have my dealer check it out. At first I thought it was a tiny hole in the exhaust system. Bottom line was that the dealer's mechanic stated I had a stretched timing belt and it should be changed. They had another Aveo in the shop whose timing belt just broke resulting in damaged/bent valves. I agreed to this repair after having read multi-complaints of timing belts breaking prematurely. They also recommended changing the water pump and would take 3hrs labor to perform. They did not stock these parts but were able to finish the repair the next day. I think GM needs to install longer lasting belts or switch to the timing chain for future models.
    I think GM needs to install longer lasting belts or switch to the timing chain for future models.

I agree -- it'd be a selling point. Most people will spend $1000 or more with belt changes and water pumps over the car's lifetime. In essence, the Aveo loses some of its price advantage when compared to Yaris, Corolla, Fit or Scion that use timing chains.

Unlike other cars I've owned or driven, this model has no margin of error with belt changes. Many have had problems before the 60,000 mile interval.

It makes so little sense to build an engine that'll last hundred of thousands of miles, but can experience catastophic failure due to a $30 rubber belt breaking.

C'mon GM! Ditto for any other automakers using them.
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    I drive the freeway to work and back home everyday and I've never had to downshift into 3rd gear with my 2007 Aveo Sedan. I've shifted into 4th a few times to get upto 120km/hr on a hill, but never 3rd gear.

Last night I was in 5th gear and floored the car to 160km/hr (100mph), the car was totally quiet and very stable.
  • jeep_cj8jeep_cj8 Member Posts: 4
    OK - I am in the market for a replacement car. I have a 2000 Focus wagon with 110k on it. Not a bad car, but now driving over 420 miles per week and want something with a warranty, etc. I am 6'2" and 270 lbs - how will this car be driving every day for a guy like me? I sat in an 07 Summer Edition 4 door last week and the car seemed a lot bigger on the inside than it looks. Also, am I going to get at least 25 MPG or so. I sort of beat cars up and hope that this car will last. Is there anyone out there that has over 50k miles on their car and can report how it is holding up? 1 last question - is there anyone that has bought a sedan version and wished they got the hatchback? Sorry for all the questions - but if I am going to spend a decent amount of money on a newer or new car - I want to do it right the first time.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    If you look at the regular Aveo forums there is a post or two with people with a few extra pounds, and people with over 100,000 miles. One has over 150,000 miles. The car does have a pretty roomie interior for its size. I'm really not sure how it will hold up compared to other cars this size available.
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    The owner's maintaince book says to replace timing belt at 100,000KM or 60,000 miles. I don't think you have a chance in heck of trying to go after GM when it was your fault. Good Luck trying. :P
  • vbitterxvbitterx Member Posts: 3
    My car just hit 50k and I had to replace the timing belt, head and 3 valves. Thank god I got the extended warenty. The only thing that is costing me is the rental.. but I still say it should not take 2 1/2 weeks to get this done.. Maybe you have a lemon.. or hes hard on the car? I just got lucky I guess that this is the worst problem Ive had other than the thermostat housing going on me in the middle of Arizona. Its to be expected when the hottest part of the car is cheep plastic.
    What year is the car? I had the original Daewoo (Pontiac Lemans-1988) with a similar engine-1.6 L, though a single cam. The new engine with the dual cam has a beefed up block and other parts though, and is supposedly quieter. My 88 model had 74 hp I believe, which was enough for most driving situations with a 4-speed. I too had an extended warranty that worked out well. Though the car got very good mileage, its first year or more had electrical problems. Every time it rained or there was moisture in the air, I had to worry about it not starting. They put the ignition coil on the bottom of the car in a stupid place to collect moisture. I also had the starter go bad and as expected for a foreign car, it was expensive to repair. Lucky for the extended warranty or the part alone would have been $425 + labor.
  • shelbyfshelbyf Member Posts: 1
    Did you have a law suit against them yet? My car did the same as yours!! Please reply I really would like to know.
  • tabbycat22tabbycat22 Member Posts: 1
    Please do not buy this car for it almost got me killed in traffic, when the engine misfired shutting my car down. I was very lucky that another car did not crash in the back of my car. I had to get someone to help me push my car to the side of the road. My Aveo is a 2005 with 41,000 miles on it and has never had any problems or troubles until now. I had my car towed to the local Chevrolet Dealer in Gainesville Florida. I had been advised by a friend that there was a tecchincal service bulletin by General Motors for all 2004,2005,2006& 2007 Chevy Aveos for a intermittent Misfire. The misfire may ocur under any operating condition and may or may not be noticed. We a asked about this problem and the service guy denied any thing about the problem. The following are some of the various driveability problems- extended crank time, hard to start, mil/ses illuminated with DTCs,lack of power and surge or chuggle, rough idle, intermitting misfire. Yet the cheverolet service technician told me that I needed new Platinum spark pluge, which generally last up to 60 thousand miles and a new coil along with having the fuel injector cleaned, because the fuel injuctor was very cloged and every thing was so badly corroded. How could things be this bad on a car with 41,000 miles, that has regular maintance done on it. The pluges are platinum, which should last up 60 thousand miles and I have had no problems until my car misfired shutting down on me. The Cheverolet dealer refused to acknowledge that there was this problem with Aveos Misfiring along with other problems such as the belt on these cars. When all was said and done, I ened up paying to have the car fixed, because the dealership refused to do any thing about these defects. My husband has since emailed my concerns to Cheverolet main corporate office. I would not buy another Cheverolet car after reading all the reviews on this car for safety. (What a nightmare)
  • ilaveoilaveo Member Posts: 26
    Sorry you had car trouble tabbycat, but clogged injectors are usually caused by bad gas and can happen in any car. The problem is pretty common. It is not unusual for a car to have a TSB concerning best practices for cleaning clogged injectors. Similarly, intermittent misfire is a fault caused by a number of possible conditions in any car (bad plugs, loose plug wires, clogged injectors,....). Again, many (most?) cars have a TSB that outlines best practice diagnostics for misfires. It sounds like your tech probably was going down the standard troubleshooting list and replacing everything until something worked. He may have replaced some parts that were still good. Most likely you need to blame the bad fuel that someone sold you rather than the fuel injectors.
    I agree with the other poster in that it is likely the gas that caused the problem. I have watched the forums for a couple years now and I have never seen the hesitation misfiring issue here before. The spark plugs will foul out with bad gas.

If you get a Toyota and you keep going to the same gas station you will have the same issues but will you keep buying Toyota's after that?
  • hobo1940hobo1940 Member Posts: 3
    can you specify where you found calif.law on timing belts,statue no.etc.
  • dsm_97gst_t3t4dsm_97gst_t3t4 Member Posts: 4
    my girflfriend bought her Chevy aveo brand new and has had her 2006 Chevrolet aveo for a good while now almost has 49,000 miles ok.... we were leaving from target and this new light comes on in the car of course me being the male noticed it right away by my girlfriend didnt ..... im thinking what the hell is this [non-permissible content removed] so im like put your seat belt on so she does and then i do cause i mean airbags are made to help save lives but can take lives ..... so im like lets just go and park at walmart so we do ..... so i get her owners guide out and i find out what this disturbing light means ....are you aveo readers ready for this ..... THE AIRBAGS READINESS LIGHT WHICH MEANS......THERE IS AN ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION, DIAGNOSTICS MALFUNCTION, ETC.... WHICH ALSO I HAVE COME TO FIND OUT CHEVROLET AVEO CARS HAVE BAD AIRBAG PROBLEMS AND PEOPLE HAVE DIED BECAUSE THE AIRBAGS DIDNT DEPLOY EVEN AT 70 MPH AND THAT TO ME DESERVES A RECALL ON ALL AVEOS THATS A REALLY BIG DEFECT AS FAR AS YOUR SAFETY THATS LIKE SEAT BELTS THAT WILL COME LOOSE WHEN HIT BY ANOTHER CAR YOU CAN GET SLUNG OUT THE WINDOW BUT IN THIS CASE WITH NO AIRBAGS YOU CAN BREAK YOUR NECK AND ETC I DONT WANT TO GET INTO THE FINER DETAILS .... so if anyone knows what the warranty or anything about the chevrolet aveo airbags or gm's policy on the airbags like mile/year warrenty on the airbags please let me know by contacting me at ..........shark_zombie@yahoo.com.............think of it like this if it was your loved one driving a car like this wouldnt you want chevrolet to do something about it please go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/index.cfm and make a complaint onlineif you have the same problem theres gonna be more people with this problem i would bet money on it because its korean made with a bow tie on it
    dont buy an aveo my girlfriend has had hers a little over a year and half and it has 46,000 miles on it and the car just yesterday put a light up and i looked in the owners manuel and it says the airbags , electrical, and diagnostics system has a malfunction so my friend i dont know you but i weight 255 and im 6'0" its a comfortable and roomey car but the downfall is it doesnt have any upgrades for it your stuck with slowness and everything will have to be custom made and now the second bad thing about it chevrolet puts sorry tires on them my girlfriend had the car 2 monthes and the tire on my side blew out costing her 125 dollars because the tire to fit her rim is pretty much a special order item we went to about 9 places like tire kingdom ,tires plus, walmart etc finally we found 1 place a family owned store that just happened to have 1 and now this with the airbags i just dont know what to think about this car and my friend the 100,000mile 10 year warrenty is bs i have proof http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm i mean i dont know what else to tell you but dont buy a chevrolet buy a mitsubishi man ive had a mitsubishi that i have had for a long time and only thing that went wrong is because of me not a defect and my friend switched the boost controller to high and drove it for 7 hrs in high boost and the turbo blew but the turbo was from 1990 and this was 2004 so if i was you go with a japanese car and mitsubishi will deal with you better believe me by the way my girlfriends aveo is a LT which means it was top of the line aveo and its still not on my list for buying looks i give it a 6 out of 10, engine performance i give it 4 out of 10, durability 0 out of 10 its not gonna last
  • almostwalkingalmostwalking Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a belt routing diagram for an 04 Aveo. I thought most all cars had the diagram shown somewhere in the engine compartment, but I don't see one. Thanks.
    I would rather take a chance with an Aveo than any Mitsu. Mitsubishi probably will not even be around in the U.S. within 5-years. They are the worse of the worst.
  • ilaveoilaveo Member Posts: 26
    Personally, I try to find out what the source of a warning light is before I conclude a car is junk. For all you know a mouse chewed a wire or something like that. The Dodge badged Mitsubishi I owned had a ton of AT problems.
    well you wanna bash on a mitsubishi how bout the 4g63 turbo engine which is in my car which in the import world is known as the worlds best most reliable 4 cyl engine and it is the worlds fastest 4 cylinder that is faster than the worlds fastest 6 cylinder so talk your $#!+ but my experience with chevrolet is that there 4 cylinders arent worth buying my girlfriend bought it the same reason everyone else does good gas mileage and its cheap but thats what they think ..... the tires for one are hard to find and have to be special ordered $92- $169 dollars each ok thats freaking rediculous they act like this car needs v and z rated tires i found some falken h rated tires for my girlffriend for hers but the total still came out to 460 dollars for tires all the way thats with basic install ok and as far as parts for the car you cant buy from chevrolet they dont have them and cant get them on a freaking 2 year old car so dont give me $#!+ about mitsubishi i can go right now and buy any part i need for my car "ANYTHING" alot of times they keep it in stock you can say what you want but you have no clue what your talking about if you knew your information you wouldnt have bought an aveo in the first place either i told my girlfriend not to buy an aveo but her dad insisted she get a chevy made vehicle now see what trouble shes in i just want to clarify that because it wasnt my idea to get her into it my 1997 mitsubishi eclipse gst is the most reliable car ive ever had i will keep it forever i will never sell it it is my baby and at 135,000 miles it hasnt skipped a beat and want because it is a true race car and has a truely race inspired engine that was built to take all the punishment you can throw at it and if you dont beleive me type in "BRENT RAU" or go to http://dsmvideo.vidiac.com/category/Brent+Rau/0/3df54ef0-82c1-49cf-b89f-985e016d- - 5e1b.htm if you wanna take a look at what the engine in my car is capable of YOU ARE A BUSTER in terms of what me and my buddys call people like you i know my $h!+ buddy and a chevy aveo isnt worth 8,000 brand new ......if anyone has anything to say about a mitsubishi please say something i will prove you wrong again and again i have proof mofo were is your proof on aveos oh thats right no one gives a $#!+ cause its a sorry car that my girlfriend bought and has wanted out of it the 2nd month she had it but she cant she has to pay them off cuase no one wants to buy it from her
    If you live in the U.S. and follow auto's seriously than you will know that Mitsubishi as a company is pretty bad. Yes they have a compact WRX car with a high output turbo, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the mediocre company. The companies products from top to bottom are the worst in the industry in reliability except for maybe Kia according to several publications. One fast WRX doesn't make a company the best. Mitsubishi is again on a marketing campaign saying they are the fastest growing Japanese company which they state every few years. What they base that on is weak sales one year and when a new model comes out and brings their sales higher than the previous year they again re-use their old fastest growing Japanese company misinformation again. This company will be the first of the Imports gone from the U.S. and it probably will be within 5-years.

I am not sure what you mean by Mitsubishi having the fastest 4-cylinder engine. Previously Honda Civic's had all the records before the Chevy Cobalt came out which re-wrought the Guiness book of World Records in almost every catagory. Asperated or non-asperated the Cobalt took all of the records and is dominate throughout the U.S. in bracket, stock, and modified racing. Also the Cobalt took the Civic's records at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.
    What I meant is they have they Lancer, Suburu has the WRX. There are people satisfied in one way or another with every brand and believe it or not there are groups of people who think Yugo's are the best, all I am saying is some automakers are better than others and Mitsubishi is not one of the better ones. The JD Power 2007 Dependability Study didn't feature any Mitsubishi's though the Chevy Aveo and Hyundai Accent where tops in their catagory.
  • huntmasterhuntmaster Member Posts: 3
    chevy aveo 2004-2007 with vin #6-rpo L91 built prior to vin@7B797231 if the service light comes on intermittently and the hold or other lights come on and then go off later after stopping and parking or restarting the engine-- there is a good chance that the valve guide seals are bad. check chevy dealer service document # T3782 or #2010397. my girl friend brought a certified aveo from a dealer in spokane and had it one year, from 25,000 to 37,000 miles and the dealer replace the ign. coil and said that was it. it wasn't!! the next day the service engine came back! they kept the car for a week and had to fight with GM to warranty the repair! it takes about a week to do the work. they have replace all 8exhaust valves, all 8intake valves all 16 valve seals appleway chevy does good work in spokane. the 1stcompany just change plugs and charge $45-we change dealers!and we are happy with appleway!
    What are the exact symptoms while driving? I have occasional misfires, especially on hills or from a start and sometimes the "check engine" light comes on. The CEL will go off after a stop and will drive well after that.

Mine's an '04 -- I heard about a number of 04 and 05 models having valves that had to be replaced, but the problems didn't appear until I was well out of warranty.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Rental 08 LT Sedan. On I-35W in Minneapolis last night. Less than 8000 miles on the odometer. I was driving under the speed limit as I was trying to figure out where I was going. Oil level and temperature normal.

Loud explosion that I suspect may have been a thrown rod. I know I've never heard anything like that in almost 50 years of driving with 30+ cars. I've owned three Korean cars: an 88 Festiva, an 01 Elantra, and an 07 Optima. Had good luck with all of them. My wife was looking at buying one last year before we got the Optima. This this will keep me from considering anything with Daewoo roots for many years.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    You didn't specifically say it, but I assume the engine died immediately after the loud noise.

By the way, I am no supporter of Daewoo in any way, shape or form, but the engine in the Aveo is made by GM (who now owns Daewoo as well), in the Austrailian Holden division, which supplies many GM engines in other cars and also assembles the Pontiac G8GT auto, as an example.

SO, can't really blame Korea on this one, I'm afraid...
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Knew it had Holden roots but thought it was assembled in a GMDAT plant in Korea. Maybe I should have said it will keep me from buying a Pontiac G8. :P
This discussion has been closed.