Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Forenza

13»

Comments

• morganrenmorganren Member Posts: 5
    I brought my Forenza (05)to the dealer two weeks ago. They changed some parts. So now, it seems like that the steel wheel sit at 12 O'clock. However, the car keeps run off the road for only about 100 feet (even not on high way). They have done allignment.

The dealer told me this is due to crown. I understand crown can affect this. However, it can cause such a severe drifting problem?

So the dealer let me test a new Forenza. I feel the same thing. Run off the track for about 100 feet. Now, they claim that "drift to the right" is the characteristic of the Forenza.

Are there anyone with the same experience?

:cry:
    Morganren
  • morganrenmorganren Member Posts: 5
    Finally, the suzuki forenza's engine break down on high way last week.

It is still in PA (I am in NY).

:mad:

Morganren
  • mac625mac625 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Chev Optra (Forenza). In the cold weather and while the car was running I heard the A/C compressor cycle on, the defrost wasn't selected and the a/c switch wasn't on. The dealer tells me that this is normal for this type of compressor (variable type or something like that). Anyone ever hear of this?
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    I saw a Long Term report on MotorWeek, 1 year report, and they had no problems with the 2005 Reno.
    All they said was MPG was low(and from my test drive, the car with the automatic felt slow up to 45, but once it got out of shifting gears, basically, it kept up with traffic with fair amount of ease).
    I had read a report Suzuki had some (minor) words with GM about these/this car this past year(some survey said they ranked last for IQS? JD Powers?), and they are gonna re tune these GMDAT vehicles themselves(separately from the factory, or how GMDAT does it? Heard Suzuki has a part of this factory?).

Anyhow.... in-laws had/have 2 suzuki's(trackers, made by suzuki) a 92 and a 97.
    92 was traded in 2001, at 213,000 miles. No issues.
    the 97 is still at their house, running, no issues, 80,000+ miles.

Maybe because these cars were "new", they had issues?

I dunno.

I will monitor this thread more closely. I have a few years yet before trade in time.... hopefully, all issues will be ironed out by then.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I read the same thing. Actually the CEO of Suzuki, who's last name is Suzuki had heated words at a meeting with GM. Suzuki has had a hard time with quality impression to begin with. They build good cars but they are not luxurious at all. Some people equal hard plastic with poor quality. Our Suzuki, a 1996 lasted over 300000 miles before it needed repairs. I hope Suzuki uses the profits from the Daewoo cars to improve them.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    News from Suzuki is that the next Forenza will be of Suzuki design. They will be removing the Daewoo product from their line up.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115623
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi, all. . .
    Can someone please explain if the "Hold" feature of the Forenza's automatic transmission really does help when one needs some extra traction in slippery conditions, such as snow for example. I know it doesn't take the the place of a true traction/stabilty control, but still I find this hold feature intriguing. I'm condidering the purchase of an '07 Forenza after seeing a brand new '06 yesterday, in Cobalt blue, just glowing under the sunlight (so to speak).
    It's very attractive, and I liked what I saw. :D

How does it run, normally, in snowy/icy conditions though?
    This is the one thing I'm curious about.
    Anyone willing to advise/inform?
    I'd sure appreciate it. :)

Many thanx!

Peace. . .
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There are a couple of new discussions on the Suzuki Forenza board. Come join in.

If you click on Track this Group, you won't miss anything else that shows up there.
  • mazdalvrmazdalvr Member Posts: 16
    I previously owned a 2004 Forenza with the auto. Ok the Hold button allows you to put the car into the gear you want, so press the hold button and you have to pull the shifter down into the gear you need. Start in first the car will take off a lot faster this way watchout for the rev limiter and 1st gear takes a second or two to actually shift into second so watch out for that. Press the shifter into second gear and you wil pick up more speed, move into third and then into 4th. Thats it
  • mal6884mal6884 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all I got a 06 Forenza and now I can;t find any performance parts for this car. It got me thinking I am taking it upon myself to make some parts for the Forenza. Here is whats on the drawing bord as of now "The parts that will be made is going to be CNC high quality made parts" I have my own shop so its only the best. A cold air intake, performance header, cat-back exhaust, and im talking to some guys about pistons. This is just a start there are alot more parts to come if anyone has any ideas just let me know.
  • bwstylesbwstyles Member Posts: 3
    That's what I'm looking for bud. So far I've got a cold air intake, exhaust, and plugs and wires. Other than those I haven't been able to find any performance parts for these cars. Everyone says it'll be a couple of years before they come around. Anyway, I'd love some performance headers on my '05 Forenza. Let me know how much they are and how to get them and I'll be all over it. Thanks!
  • jurupajurupa Member Posts: 1
    mal6884 and bwstyles there are aftermarket parts for the Suzuki forenza/reno. Goto http://www.suzuki-forums.com and goto the forenza/reno section and you should see a good amount of info there. Its a small community but its pretty active tho.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi all...

Am I the only one to find that ABS is ONLY available with the 2007 BASE model of the Forenza? I find that bizarre corporate thinking on Suzuki's part. Maybe Daewoo's part too! This just doesn't compute, speaking for myself. Instead of improving this model, both Suzuki and Daewoo seem not to care enough to include ABS on ALL their models, whether standard or an option. That's too bad. I've seen two Forenza sedans lately, in my neck of the woods, (in red and cobalt blue) and they seem to be quite the perfect urban runabout. What's up here? Hmmmm... :confuse:

Peace! :shades:
  • jdmcrxjdmcrx Member Posts: 1
    hey was sup guys i have a 2006 suzuki forenza which is very slow to me but i like it alot at the same time but i also have a crx with a 600hp 2.0 ls/vtec turbo engine in it which i happen run a 9.86 in a quarter mile,now this may sound dumb but i had an idea that would make my car run really fast i was thinking about throwing that engine from my crx and put it in my suzuki all i have to do is just make custom engine mounts,custom intercooler piping and have somebody convert my engine harness from my crx and custom make it to wire up to my forenza,after that you will have a 600 hp forenza and nobody will know what you have under the hood when you ask them to race,the only thing that might give it away is that big front mount intercooler but they will just think its just the stock engine that comes with the car
  • jmjedijmjedi Member Posts: 1
    Ditto on the 2006. Mechanic had to do a "smoke test" to see where the leak was in the fuel system after the OBD registered it on the computer. I know they've replaced the cap, but I'm taking the printed message above to have them check the seal around the filler neck. Thanks for your contribution, as it added to my ability to somewhat intelligently discuss my car's problem.
  • a321ndresa321ndres Member Posts: 2
    For my opinion the forenza is a great car 4 wheel disc,abs,ebd. confortable interior, roomy, nice design, and the speaker are not so bad. The only not so good thing is the engine, good 2L but not the same with it´s power. Does anyone have any preformance feature with there forenza that has a good result?
  • crying1crying1 Member Posts: 6
    I called 1 800 lemon law and 13 months later we were refunded every payment into the car minus 1500 for mileage, We got enough back to buy a 2007 Honda civic and are thrilled! That car was a nightmare.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Or is it just generally unreliable? I know it's a GM car, but wow... It's a shame because it is a very handsome, well-equipped car for a Korean, and it comes in a handsome wagon, too.
    we had the wagon too. Stick with a honda.
  • milellamilella Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. Where do you check the transmission fluid. There is no dipstick.
    Where is your owner's manual? Why wouldn't it tell you there??
  • asugirl87asugirl87 Member Posts: 1
    Actually the owner's manual doesn't specify where the transmission is located at all. It shows a picture, but has no written details of where it is. It cannot be located from the picture.
    That's not good...granted, unless the car is leaking, you shouldn't even have to worry about whether there's fluid in it, but still. I suppose if they didn't include it in your owner's manual, they don't intend for it to be a user-serviceable item. I think I'd still get a Haynes manual and see what they said, though.

This is food for thought...a shame for such an inexpensive yet handsome car.
  • tbeasleytbeasley Member Posts: 4
    My 2004 Suzuki left me high and dry and we put a fuel pump in it and one minute it would fire right up and then it would shut off. We mess with the relay in the motor it would fire up then quit, we check on the wires going to the fuel pump and motor and it has power going to it. Does anyone out there knows what is wrong with my vehicle so I won't have to pay out of my butt to get it fix. Thanks for any help.
    it was never the fuel pump, are you using ethonal gas? we had the same problem, they said we needed a fuel pump,l the car is a lemon, we got all our money back! call a lemon lawyer quick!
    Thanks for answering me but no I'm not using ethonal gas just regular gas. Do you really think I need to call a lemon lawyer?
  • tigger15tigger15 Member Posts: 4
    no offense but i have yad my forenza wagon almost 1yr. and i was wondering what caused to use the lemon law on ur's i a bought our right off the dealer. plz reply? :confuse:
    after 2-4 months of owning the car it had a problem adjusting to the new gasoline. No one figured that out though and it was playing the lottery wondering if the car would start or not. over 10 rental cars in 9 months and my husband could have lost his job. I was told about 1800lemonlaw and got all my payments back minus the money for mileage. I now have a wonderful; honda which we love. the process took about 5 months.
    I haven't used the lemon law. I have replace the fuel pump and engine ignition sensor and it's has run find until yesterday it cut on me again but about 10 minutes it fired right up but I can just be going down the road it it will just shut off. I am lost I don't know what else to do and my husband put the parts on. I think I am going to have to take to the dealership to hook it up to the computer.
    We replaced the fuel pump too and it was not the problem.. you will have more and more problems. get rid of it.
    We have talk about getting rid but I am afraid that I owe do much money on it and I will lose money on it.
  • electechmechelectechmech Member Posts: 5
    A properly aligned car (any make and model) should track straight ahead when you let go of the steering wheel. An excessive crown in the road may affect the tracking. I curious about your description of running off track about 100 feet. Is that running off the road (out of the normal driving lane) within 100 feet?

Your issues caught my eye because I have a 2007 with major electrical issues (caught fire within the first week) and currently has an intermittent problem that it won't shift out of Park without using the shift-lock release. Current tally: four reported; one on video; lemon lot bound. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :mad:
    ">
    Has anyone experienced a "lock out"? In other words, the car will not shift out of Park. The brake switch works, the relay works, and the solenoid works. The shifter acts like it will move to the right, but it will not clear the "gate" to allow it to shift out of Park. It's happened four times on my wife and once on me (camera in hand; got it on video). Reported four times; third time towed to dealership in "locked" condition.

Suzuki and dealer deny a problem exists - can't duplicate the problem. Well, not my problem! Arbitration scheduled for 18 Dec.
    :lemon: :lemon: :mad: :sick:
  • blackjesusblackjesus Member Posts: 3
    ok now i am scared i was playing to go buy an 06 forenza friday suppose to check it out today and stuff but now i dnt think i want to this was suppose to be my first car that i buy wit my own cash but [non-permissible content removed] wit all theses problems i dnt think i should it sounds like it is going to break me in half for like 9,000 wit 23k miles so if anyone has an opinion should i still buy it? :confuse: ?
    No I haven't but I have experienced the gears hanging up when you go to take off from a dead stop. And all I get from the service department is if we can't duplicate it we can't fix it well keep it for a week and then give me another answer is what I say.
    Honestly I wish I had never bought mine in the first place. I have nothing but bad luck so far. The car hangs up in gear from a dead stop,she has this vibrating thing going on an it gets so bad that it feels like it is tickling my foot.Found out that the forenza has very bad ratings from iihs they say the car does very poor in an all around test. So try to avoid any accidents if at all possible. The car rattles like the frame is not in tact.And we went to change our plugs for the first time and found them covered in oil so they have to replace the valve gaskets. And they had to replace my side rocket arm cuz the whole right side of the car made noises like it was gonna fall apart if i hit a bump. A now I think it is repeating the same thing over. I truly wish i can get away from my car but we are still upside down and have only had the car for 1 year. And are being told that waiting 2 years is much better for me. But as sson as I can get this one traded in for something elsewhere I intend to. hope this helps you to decide.
    OK. I'm gonna try to answer two at one time...

I think Suzuki does have issues that can be fixed if they focus on customer concerns instead of jerking them around. From a manufacturing standpoint, everyone will have defective items - it's how you deal with them that make the difference.

As for an 06 Forenza, do your research. I heard today that there is a known problem with conectors in the wiring harness and a recall on seatbelts. My "07 nightmare" was electrical in nature and an underlying factor in our arbitration. I now think that it was an 07 built with the remaining stock of 06 parts.

Now for the arbitration update...

We were awarded a replacement vehicle. That's the decision. How they work it is on them, but beware! Anyone going through the process may be liable for mileage and other charges (i.e.- cracked window). However, we are hopeful that the dealership managers (most of whom are new!) will be true to their word about taking care of the problem (can't fix what has already happened...).

I guess you could call me an optimistic skeptic. I will be their worst nightmare if we get "hosed" on this replacement. Your best defense is being an educated consumer. Find out what problems a certain car has as well as how the dealership handles those problems. Contact the NCDS for additional info or do a web search for lemon law and disclosure law for your area. Here's to hope! ;)
  • blackjesusblackjesus Member Posts: 3
    yeah dis happen at the dealer ship..... did the radio stay off if so it might have been a faulty fuse....... sounds weird but the one of the fuse controls the radio and shift but they replaced it then it worked but if the radio still came on i dnt know wat to tell u
    Well, sir, you just confirmed my overall suspition of THAT car - it is one electrical nightmare. As a matter of fact, I went back to the dealership to do the final (take two) paperwork and saw the red car at the back of the lot with the word "Sorry! I'm not for sale" written in school bus yellow across the windshield (reminded me of a little rabid puppy!). Our current status: :shades: ! We're happy.
  • faris23faris23 Member Posts: 1
    hey wats up
    i have an 05 forenza s model and i dont know how to make it faster performance wise without blowin my transmission up...any suggestions
  • brettmizellebrettmizelle Member Posts: 1
    MY NAME IS BRETT. I WILL BE TURNING 16 ON OCTOBER 24TH 2008 AND THIS PAST JANUARY I GOT A 2004 SUZUKI FORENZA EX (AUTO TRANS) AND I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT ALREADY. THE GAS MILEAGE ISN'T ANYWHERE CLOSE TO WHAT IT SHOULD BE...EVEN WHEN IM DRIVING LIKE A 60 YEAR OLD WOMAN. THE LIGHTS INSIDE THE RADIO BUTTONS HAVE FADED AND THE CD PLAYER IS MESSED UP. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS? :sick:
  • licallical Member Posts: 1
    I am looking info to guide me replacing the driver side door handle (inside).

1. How to proceed with it?

2. Any on-line sources that contain exploded/detail schemes showing
    how this and/or other car maintenance/repair items?
  • fgh3fgh3 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    Hi. My turn signals and hazard lights have stopped working and the fuse is in tact. One mechanic said it maybe the relay. What do you think?
    Thank you.
  • jonnyboy1jonnyboy1 Member Posts: 1
    When ever you need to reset the code for something simple like a loose gas cap or running your car on too low of gas all you need to do is disconnect the battery for awhile till computer resets itself. you will have to reprogram your radio stations and clock but it is easy fix that wont cost you a diagnostic fee everytime you take it in.
  • joelle_mjoelle_m Member Posts: 1
    latest problem with my 2006 suzuki forenza is that the engine randomly revs when i drive. it happens at a steady pace where im not accelerating. also the scary thing is that sometimes when i put my car into drive on the dash it shows a d with an x through it but the car reverses when i hit the gas. it still works when in 3 and it doesnt always happen, just sometimes. im not a car expert but i think it might be the transmision or the shifter. has anyone else had this problem?

other issues ive had with the car:
    -constantly have to jump it to start it (just replaced the battery and that didnt fix it)
    -the ignition sometimes doesnt turn at all, jumping it makes it start.
    -oil leak (easy fix, it was a defective plug)

:sick: :confuse:
  • cmcgaacmcgaa Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 forenza randomly slips out of drive and will only work in 3rd. What did you do about your car?
  • gallacticagallactica Member Posts: 1
    My car is also doing this, and is also a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. Does anyone know what is causing these problems?
  • kim2hot757kim2hot757 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem that you are having with the transmission slipping, and it was the range switch; Which I had to get replaced like 6 times. I saw that you had an oil leak problem, and I am having the same problem as well.... can you please let me know whick plug was changed?
    Our major problem was the shift lever interlock - couldn't get the thing out of Park. The lever could be moved to the right but lacked less than 1/4 inch to clear the gate. During arbitration I proved the problems were most likely electrical in nature (outcome: new car and several people [to include a regional manager] lost their jobs).

If you are seeing an "X" over the "D" and given the rest of the quirks, you probably have a defective modulator. Oh, it's not covered under the power train warranty (at least that's what we were told). The part is less than $100 and takes about 30 minutes to replace. Problem is that you can only get the part at the dealership and they'll charge a full hour.

Suzuki really does make good cars; they just may have a few "quirks" working on their assembly line...