Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Forenza

lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
Here is the new place to discuss your thoughts on the upcoming Suzuki Forenza "premium compact" sedan. This car is set to come out next spring as an 04 model and is basically a rebadged Daewoo. Here's a link to specs and photos:

http://www.media.suzuki.com/auto/media.html

Personally, I think the interior is beautiful. A real surprise for such an inexpensive car. It looks very VW. The exterior has a nice European style. Leather, ABS, traction control, and power sunroof are options (side airbags seem to be missing). 4 wheel discs and 8 speaker CD/cassette is standard as is the usual power accessories. Prices are expected to be between 12-15k. The engine is a disappointment though. The 2.0 liter DOHC 16 valve four only makes 119 hp. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The car does look very promising. But Daewoo had the same 119hp, and no one went for them. They need to beef up the power for the US. We are all power hungry. :)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Actually, the same engine in the Daewoo Nubira made 128 hp. I'm wondering why it lost so much power. A DOHC engine should be capable of 130 without any problems.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    yes, nice job on the interior....is Suzuki on its way up? The Aerio has found a niche, the Vitara has nice new dash, and now these two cars....Suzuki also has a killer warranty.......
    The Aerio is still a little too cheap looking inside for my tastes. I sat in an SX at the car show. I might be a little snobby though, because I have a VW.
  • dmundy1dmundy1 Member Posts: 37
    This car is coming to Canada as well, not as a Suzuki, but rather a Chevy:
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/030213-6.htm
    The Aerio is not grade A on the inside, but for a vehicle with that much space and nice tall seating position, compared to say, Neon and Cavalier? Its nice enough......the big problem with it is the digital dash. The door panels are pretty nice.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    when I was car shopping.... sure didnt feel like 145hp to me. that, and the interior was very... bleh. I did like the radio up high though, and the steering wheel, albeit ugly, felt good.

~alpha
    I sat in an Aerio SX at the car show, and found it pretty comfortable. The interior was a little blah though, and the door panel flexed when I pushed it with my knee.

I know the Aerio GS beat out the Neon, Cavalier, the all-new ION, and the Hyundai Accent in a recent CR test, ratings wise...
    Aerio is a good buy...not top dog but for the price makes a good showing. Needs to trash the digital dash. Almost more lame than gauges in the center.
    A year ago, I would have agreed with you. I used to hate digital gauges. Now, however, I think the digital dash works quite well. It's bright, easily readable at a glance, looks sort of futuristic, and does not intrude on your forward visibility thanks to its compact design. It definitely doesn't look classy like analog gauges, but at least the Aerio has a tachometer unlike the early digital guages of the 80s. I think what makes people not like the digital dash is the odd dash design.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Somebody posted a pic of a disguised test mule Forenza over on the C-- and D----- (isn't this "don't mention other boards" rule supremely annoying?) message board. They thought it was a 2004 Nissan Altima, and people were agreeing! I had to post a pic of the Forenza to clear things up. Considering that the Altima's styling seems to be well received (though I'm not a big fan myself), I guess that's a good omen for the Forenza.

-Andrew L
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Andrew, it's not that you can't mention them, you just can't promote or link to them. :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Will The Forenza push the more expensive AWD equipped Aerio out of the market? Will the Forenza have AWD?
  • arg11arg11 Member Posts: 5
    of the Suzuki Forenza was found when using the "Browse by Vehicle" selector. Maybe kirstie can take care of that...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Got it!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Not a bad looking vehicle in person. I wonder how it will drive? V6, on paper, does not seem strong enough to compete with other V6 models. Still think the name is too close to the Olds Firenza of the 1980s.

~alpha
    I think you have your cars confused. The Forenza doesn't have a V6. You must be thinking of the Verona.
    Heck, I can't even *remember* the names Forenza and Verona off the top of my head.

Someone said (I forget who) that the Forenza is a 3rd update of the Nubira, which is based on an old Corolla platform. Maybe someone can verify if that's true, and what vintage Corolla, and how much it remains a Corolla design under the skin, or if it has basically all been updated piecemeal.
    As far as I know, the Nubira has no ties whatsoever to the Corolla and yes the Forenza is what the redesigned Nubira would have been had Daewoo stuck around. I'm not sure what the Nubira was based on but I seem to remember it had ties to an Opel platform, which is GM's European arm.
    my apologies!
    ~alpha
  • davidd5davidd5 Member Posts: 79
    In Canada we don't get the Forenza,we a car called the Swift. Very small,but also a Daewoo car. I think it's a mistake to bring these cars here. Daewoo tryed here and in the U.S. Both FAILED. Suzuki already makes cars for others markets that are not sold here. Why not try them first, instead of cars from a FAILED company in Canada and the U.S.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I was all ready to laugh, but this car actually has a chance here. A new name and engine wouldn't hurt though. The interior is pure VW and Ford Mondeo, the Ford being patterned after the VW in the first place. This has to make all those former Daewoo dealers irate.

M
  • hbrow00hbrow00 Member Posts: 31
    from Suzuki, here.
  • hbrow00hbrow00 Member Posts: 31
    As was stated in msg 6, Canada will get the car as a Chevrolet Optra. There is a problem in the article, though. The picture is of the small sedan (Kalos/Aveo), but the stats are for the Lacetti/Forenza (such as the 2.0 liter engine). Maybe the Aveo hatchback will be called the Swift and the sedan is the Optra? Or maybe the Optra is the Forenza. Unclear.

Anyway, the Korean model is the "Lacetti," (a 3rd iteration of the "Nubira.") The U.S. model is the Suzuki Forenza, and the Canadian model is the Chevrolet Optra (maybe).

And similar naming acrobatics were performed on the smaller Kalos/Chevrolet Aveo/Suzuki Swift and the larger Magnus/Suzuki Verona/Chevrolet Epica.

H.
  • jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    Actually that canadian article had the wrong photo attached to it. The Chevy Optra is the Suzuki Forenza is the Lacetti is the 3rd generation Nubira. The Kalos is coming to Canada as the Aveo and the Swift, and the Magnus/Leganza as the Chevy Epica and the Suzuki Verona. From what I saw at the Toronto auto show there is a difference between the Chevy and Suzuki models. It has to do with the quality of the trim. The Chevy's were more cheap and had an ugly plastic grille. While the Suzuki's seemed more Daewooish with better trim, and kept the original daewoo Grilles as they appear on the Korean models but with an 'S' in the middle of the Grille.
    The new Nubira/Forenza/Optra will use the same existing Nubira powertrain. The Nubira was not based on anything GM makes. It was designed from scratch at the worthington technical center in the UK. The only GM heritage in it is the powertrain being identical engine to the Holden/Opel/Vauxhall Vectras 2.0L DOHC, and using the GM4T40E auto tranny.
    The only Daewoo car that was fully based on an Opel platform is the Lanos which is an enhanced Opel Kadett.
    somehow, those cars have a relation to Kevin Bacon somewhere.......
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    I would appreciate it if you stoppped making rude comments about cars. These cars are VERY nice looking IMO and I'm sure many other people agree. I find it very nice that leather is available on such a cheap car. GO SUZUKI!
    http://media.suzuki.com/auto/ has great info about the Forenza. I saw this a few months ago and noticed there was no link to it here.
    Message #24 has a link. :)

Not precisely the same link, of course. . .
    Very cool commercial.
    i don't think you got the joke........six degrees of separation from kevin bacon...its a popular cultural phenomenon....not implying the car is fat.........chill buddy
    Sounds like these cars might push the Aerio AWD out of the market, as there's no one interested in the Aerio anymore. (I still am. Cheap AWD and that killer warranty to boot)
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    jchan-

Why would it push the AWD out of the market? The Forenza is FWD. If anything, it will clash with the FWD Aerio sedan. However, I think Suzuki might be right that they will attract different types of buyers. The Aerio is more of a funky looking car for people who like the JDM look, while the Forenza is more classy and conservative. They may be in the same segment size and pricewise, but they are at opposite ends of it.

-Andrew L
    If just for its MUCH more powerful engine. Is Suzuki/GM/Daewoo serious with the output of the Forenzas engine?

The Aerio drives reasonably nicely, not a home run, very different, but nice. I test drove one when they were first introduced (a Sedan not the SX) and was fairly pleased, but IMO, I'd rather have an Elantra if warranty is paramount.

~alpha
  • bmcclainbmcclain Member Posts: 39
    The Forenza will have the same engine and transmission as the Nubira, yet make less power? The Nubira was already LEV so is something else sapping the power? I hope that it isn't the same GM transmission... while it shifts smoothly, the unlocking torque converter drives me crazy sometimes (a design flaw of the transmission). It stays unlocked for seconds on end when the throttle is adjusted (usually let off of). I really like the note of the engine in my Nubira, but it is loud. It doesn't bother me, but the horn is loud on the outside, yet quiet on the inside. The engine is loud on the inside... even with all of the anti-noise measures (which work - the horn is an example). So, why didn't Daewoo/Suzuki use the 2.0 liter version of its own L6 engine? And out of all possible design themes, they chose to keep the speedometer without markings for 55, 65, 75, 85 and so on!
    because I could buy AWD and be totally different than everyone else. You don't see a lot of Aerios cruising around, do you? But you do see a lot of Corollas, Cavaliers, and Civics. So why not be unique?
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I like the Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback. I think Suzuki should offer a sporty hatch it that flavor.
    They soon will be selling the Nubira/forenza sedan. Why not sell the Lacetti hatch here also. Give it the 155hp 2.3 out of the Aerio and standard leather. It could be a Elantra GT killer. It looks much better than the GT. The rear has an RX 8 look to it. For a look at it go to GM europe at http://www.daewoo-auto.com/
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    It would be nice if Suzuki brings the hatch over at some point. I don't think the engine from the Aerio will find it's way into the hatch.GM Daewoo will have some very nice product. It remains to be seen if the US market will get the goods. For now it seems Suzuki is the only hope because the meger GM warranty will kill off some of their sales.
    Overall, this car looks to be much less competitive in its segment than the newly introduced Verona is in the midsize class. Too bad, I think Suzuki missed an opportunity.

~alpha
    but I looked at the Rezzo/Tacuma and it looks pretty nice. Rebadge it as a Suzuki, and sell it for $16K. I'll be first in line!!!!
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    LOL that was just a joke, but it means well. Why? Consider this: combine great points of the Aerio and combine that with great points of the Forenza! Good idea? I think so!

Engine: Why does such a nice car (Forenza) have a pretty pathetic engine??
    Solution: Put the Aerio's new 2.3L I4 16V 155HP engine in the Forenza's bay! If the Aerio could handle a 2.0L as it did before, why can't the Forenza?

Stereo: They both have pretty good stereo systems..just one thing though - - put the Aerio's subwoofer (which is under the driver's seat) in the Forenza! Voila! Problem solved.

Get rid of the Aerio sedan, but put all of the great things from it and put those in the Forenza. I like the Aerio sedan, but honestly it isn't doing that great! I like the Aerio SX a lot though..and if you put great things from one car to another and the other way around, MIRACLES COULD HAPPEN FOR SUZUKI!!! :)
    the Suzuki web site now lists the Forenza's engine hp as 129. much better than the 119 hp first reported.
    made them change the numbers???? some lost horsepower found at last????
    GM is messing with the power ratings. I guess it is just estimates of before and after they were certified for emissions. The same has happened to GM's other Daewoo,the Chevy Aveo. It has had a change in advertised power also.
    I think it is amazing that they kept the exact same engine in the Nubira. For Daewoo owners this is a good thing, as you can now service your Nubira at the chevy and Suzuki dealerships.
    But this is 2004 model year, and really they should not have used a 1996 model year GM Ecotec engine. At a minimum they should have used the latest Ecotec, and better still they should have used Daewoos 2.0L version of the new Inline 6 in the Verona.
    It does use a GM tranny, but it looks a bit different than the Nubira one. And it still does not have a dipstick.
    I think they did that on purpose to give all those poor Lanos/Nubira and Leganza drivers out there a place to service their cars and maybe be able to sell them onto that Verona, Aveo or some other GM car. At least get them inside the dealer, and then pitch them a Malibu, Grand Prix or some sort of GM car.
    What? the Auto trans doesnt have a Dipstick? how do you know what the fluid level is? I know most manual gear boxes do not have a dip stick.
    Apparently GM thinks car owners should not be worried about the tranny oil level. I am not sure what the reasoning is, but I heard a mechanic say that todays trannies are very sensitive to any foreign material accidentally entering the transmission, so the tranny is sealed completely.
    You can still check the level by raising the car, and removing a particular screw from on the bottom of the tranny. This screw has markers and you can tell if the level is correct. But it is a pain, and I have never done it.
    BTW, it is not only GM and daewoo using these trannies. BMW uses them as well.