Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• pjtpjt Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the information. Can you provide the March Lease rates (MF & Residuals) for the 330Cic as well? (36-month Lease with 15k miles/yr)
    Thanks.
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Depending on where in the Country you're in, you will be able to actually sit in one in the next few weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers till then.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Timeline for E90

March

Official 3 Series Sport Wagon photos to be released March 21
    US Auto Show Debut - New York March 23
    Official 3 Series Sedan Pricing to be announced March 23
    Denver Auto Show March 30
    April
    Atlanta Auto Show April 8
    Dallas Auto Show April 12
    May
    3 Series Sedan Demos arrive at BMW Centers Late April
    Official Retail Launch Date - MAY 6... :-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    My dealer told me they'll be going to a 3 series Ride and Drive event toward the latter part of May. This is for San Fran area dealers.
    I was considering March 23rd as a few weeks (3) away. I'll be going to the one in April. Considering we first started seeing E90 pictures in August-what's a few more days (that would be 19) :)
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    I was fortunate enough to drive a 2005 g35 6mt for a few days and it was so interesting to me how I walked away from it. I was very strongly considering buying the car as a replacement to my 2003 330i as it is bigger and a little more family friendly. Here is my opinion.

1. I know the g35 is faster on paper but it sure does not feel faster. I guess it has to do with the overall size of the car. But the BMW simply felt like it had more pop.

2. I do admit the G has the bimmer beat in some areas. Back seat, stereo, and you can even argue it has a more modern look.

3. But I am here to tell you that everything people say about BMW's is absolutely correct. The biggest difference for me was behind the wheel and the connection you have with your surroundings and the road. It is truly amazing to me.

So in conclusion I decided to stay in my 2003 330i and wait to see the 06 3-series.

The funniest thing to me was I walked away thinking that it is either a BMW or it is not. And I will look again in time at the g35 and the new lexus IS but in the end I believe that if I do not get a BMW I am going to load up a Honda Accord and be Mr. family guy.

Really whats the difference, because if you want the best, get it. Sports sedan-BMW, family sedan - Honda... eom
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    That's a good point. I don't understand providing a detuned 3.0 in the 325i.

Now I'm not mechanic by far but if I recall correctly the Motor Trend article states that the difference btwn the 2 is a different intake and more aggressive software on the 330, so what is to stop a tuner such as Dinan from offering a software and intake upgrade for the 325 for a few grand less than the cost of a 330?
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    can anyone tell me what you have heard about what is going to be standard features on the 330i that will be additionals for the 325i aside from the engines?

trying to figure money invested
    Everything I've seen points to almost the same differences as there are in the current model... One addition I've seen, is standard xenons in the 330i...

Not much other info... but, all that will come out on March 23rd, I think..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Per the "Ordering Guide":

Audio System:
    325i: Upgraded BMW audio system
    325i: Logic7 Surround Sound audio system (Optional)
    330i: Logic7 Surround Sound audio system

Transmission:
    325i: 6-Speed Manual
    325i: 6-Speed Steptronic (Optional)
    330i: 6-Speed Manual
    330i: 6-Speed Steptronic (Optional)
    330i: 6-Speed SMG (Optional)

Wheels and Tires:
    325i: 16x7.0 Style 156 wheels & 205/55 R16 All-Season Run-Flat tires
    325i: 17x8.0 Style 161 wheels & 225/45 R17 Performance Run-Flat tires (Front Sport Package)
    325i: 17x8.5 Style 161 wheels & 255/40 R17 Performance Run-Flat tires (Rear Sport Package)
    330i: 17x8.0 Style 159 wheels & 225/45 R17 All-Season Run-Flat tires
    330i: 18x8.0 Style 162 wheels & 225/40 R17 Performance Run-Flat tires (Front Sport Package)
    330i: 18x8.5 Style 162 wheels & 255/35 R17 Performance Run-Flat tires (Rear Sport Package)

Headlights:
    325i: Halogen high and low beam headlights
    325i: Xenon high and low beam headlights (Optional)
    330i: Xenon high and low beam headlights

Seating:
    325i: 8-way manual front seats (includes 2-way headrest)
    325i: 8-way power front seats with 2-way manual headrest and driver memory for exterior mirrors and seat position (optional)
    325i: 12-way manual front sport seats (Sport Package)
    325i: 8-way power front sport seats with adjustable back bolsters, 2-way manual headrests and thigh support; driver memory for exterior mirrors and seat postion (Premium Package & Sport Package)
    330i: 8-way power front seats with 2-way manual headrest and driver memory for exterior mirrors and seat position
    330i: 8-way power front sport seats with adjustable back bolsters, 2-way manual headrests and thigh support; driver memory for exterior mirrors and seat postion (Sport Package)

In addition, traditionally the 3-Series has come with larger/more capable brakes and a stronger transmission on the model with the more powerful engine. This may not be the case with the E90, I wouldn't bet against it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mix1mix1 Member Posts: 1
    Please post just the price and date you believe the new 3 will be released at..
    If you would review the last week or so of posts, you will have your questions answered as well as can be at this time.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Has anybody taken notice of the Lexus IS board?

There seems to be a perception that once the new IS comes out that it will be the end of the 3 series. The impression I get is that this is not a theory, but an eventuality. Some of the responses are almost gleeful at the demise of BMW.

There is speculation regarding a new Lexus 3.5L that will come out and demolish the BMW 3L, but this new engine may not appear initially but eventually…perhaps when the speculated 3.5L from BMW is released.

Not to start a “versus” conversation, but there does seem to be a great deal of “BMW envy”. I see BMW mentioned there almost as much as I do here.

I can’t recall the last time there was an in-depth discussion about an IS here; perhaps everybody knows the BMW is superior (to date) and consider it insignificant.

I’ve “sat” in the previous (or current) IS300 and thought it was ok, but that is as far as my interests went.

FWIW
    I'm sure that our Hosts would probably jump in here and suggest a quick demise to such a "vs." thread here in the "2006 BMW 3-Series" discussion. You might want to start a separate "2006 3-Series vs. 2006 IS" discussion, however, keep in mind that such a topic usually brings the "Crazies" out of the woodwork and usually degenerates into a contest to see who can project colored water the furthest.

FWIW, when the original IS came out, the same noise was heard from the Lexus camp, and to the best of my knowledge, the 3-Series is still thriving. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bsureshrbsureshr Member Posts: 5
    Is there anybody booking for 3 series 2006 in advance? If yes, what is the discount dealers are giving? can I ask dealer for 3 to 4 percent discount on MSRP?
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    people are ordering without pricing info...basically putting down deposits...

3-4% off MSRP....the dealer would be crazy to give you that at this time.
  • wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Saw the Lexus IS on the GENEVA MOTOR SHOW web site, looks like a sweet ride and perhaps something to consider for the 3 Series market, but since most of us already have decided on the 2006 3 Series, I am sure BMW is not overly concerned about their loyal followers. However, for those on the fence, it would serve BMW well to get their meal ticket to the market place in a more timely fashion. I am getting tired of waiting since I put my deposit down in January! I am sure it is not a coincidence that Lexus picked the Geneva Motor Show to introduce the new IS.
  • psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    You sure can ask, but don't be surprised when he/she smiles coyly and chuckles. You might be lucky to pay MSRP.
    Lots of people booking advanced orders. Most don't even know what the price will end up at, so forget the discount. No discounts at this point, & I wouldn't expect any for some time.
    Hmmm, that's odd, I ordered my 1999 328i in late 1998, right about the time the E46 was released, and while I didn't get a $1,000 over invoice deal or anything, I did get $1,500 below MSRP. Given a little shopping, I suspect one could find a dealership that will offer a small discount, even before the car is out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "Given a little shopping, I suspect one could find a dealership that will offer a small discount"

Absoulutely correct! I managed to only get a 3% discount on my 99 323i during August 1998. That 3% is nothing to boast about, but when I placed the order there was a 3 month waiting list.

Dont let a BMW sales rep make you feel like his doing you a real big favor by allocating you on a waiting list at full MSRP . Dont feel awkward about asking for a discount.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Ditto. Thanks to this board in Spring 99 I was able to get INVOICE on my E46 with carsdirect.com. What was that guys name from KY Shipo ?

DL
    If uve been a member of BMWCCA for a year you are eligible for 500 on the 3er and 1k on the 5er unless that has changed.

DL
    If I'm not mistaken, his name was/is Frank Rizzo, known for the "Rizzo Method" of E-Mailing/Faxing all dealerships within a given radius and offering a fixed price above invoice.

A bit of background; back in 1998 when both Frank and I were looking to replace our then current mounts (mine was a 1995 VR6 Passat GLX 5-Speed), we were both looking to get a 1999 Passat GLX 5-Speed, however, VWoA in their infinite wisdom cancelled the manual transmission for that model year (after offering it in 1998 and again in 2000 (I think)). He and I were both incensed, so much so that I wrote letters to both VWoA and VW in Germany, to no avail. :-/

Given that I've never learned to drive an automatic transmission (that's a joke son), I was forced to look further a field. When I inquired about the new E46 328i at my local BMW dealership I was shocked to find that the monthly lease price was something like $10 more per month in spite of the ~$8,000 price difference! When I pointed this out in a post here in the TownHall, Frank immediately shifted his sights to the E46, and in the end, procured one as well. ;-)

Interestingly enough, VWoA is at it again. The next generation (B6?) Passat GLX (or whatever the high end model will be called) will once again not be available with three pedals when it reached our shores sometime later this year. What's up with that?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    In my opinion, tt's laziness within this country not to drive a sports sedan like a sports sedan - with a mannual transmission. When I was test driving cars during my spare time (i.e. before my wife moved in with me), I was shocked at how many dealerships lacked stock with a mannual transmission (Mercedes, Acura, and BMW to name a few).

I am shocked that Audi is shooting themselves in the foot by taking away their mannual in the A6 and the new A4 (specifically the 3.2L). That's why the new E90 is rapidly becoming more attractive to me and has become my number one target to get.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that laziness is a huge factor in the decline of the manual gearbox in this country. Having said that, I have always maintained that given the "Keep up with the Joneses" mentality here in the U.S. that there was only one sure fire way of making folks want a Stick Shift more than an Automatic transmission, simply, make the Manual transmission an EXTRA COST OPTION! Gasp, what am I saying? Relax, hear me out, I have told this story here at Edmunds before, however, I think it's relevant once again.

In the mid 1980s there was a period where the only 5-Series available here in the U.S. was the anemic 525e, which, if I remember correctly, was a low HP peak, high torque (relatively speaking) motor, and not too much fun to drive. BMW finally got the message that the "e" motors were not very well received by the enthusiast crowd (although another friend of mine (who considered himself an enthusiast) with a 325e was very proud of his), so they started offering the 533i, with an honest to God, high revving BMW motor in it (I am giving BMW the benefit of the doubt, thinking that maybe some old Rambler I6 motors were put in the "e" cars by accident ;-)).

I was on a business trip to Los Angeles shortly after the 533i was released, and much to my delight, a friend of mine who I had made lunch plans with, showed up in his brand spanking new Black/Black 533i 5-Speed. This car was fully decked out with every other option that BMW offered on said car, and when I came out of my clients' office, he simply tossed me the keys and said, "Let's go!" Needless to say, "Away we went". I drove up to the "Valley" and then down Mulholland Highway into the town of Malibu. Wow, what a great car that was, easily as great as the 525e was mediocre.

Once in Malibu, we found the restaurant that he wanted to take me to, and as we were turning into the parking lot, there, right in front of us was another brand new Black 5er, however, this one was a 525e (further examination revealed this to be a 525eA). The lady driving said 525e parked, and I parked right next to her, and as we were all getting out of our cars, she looked over at me with a very haughty, disapproving look, deliberately walked past the 533i giving it a quick once over in the process, turned to me and said, "[Sniff!] Couldn't you afford the Automatic?" My friend and I were so stunned that all we could do was laugh at her, so hard in fact that we almost fell to the ground. Wow did my stomach and smile muscles hurt after that.

Anyway, long story short, if the auto manufacturers make the manual transmission an extra cost option, then folks couldn’t say "Yep, I got her fully loaded, every option", unless they popped for the third pedal as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    New A4 3.2 will offer a manual in the 2006 model which is slated for this fall.
    But, I think that 5-series model was called the 528e, even though it had the same engine as the 325e..

A friend of mine bought an 87 325e for his wife (it only said 325 on the rear.. that is how maligned the "e" had become, by that time), with the automatic.. Even though it had the handling of a BMW, it was worse than anemic.. I had a girlfriend with a '79 320i, 4-cyl, 5-speed, and it could dust that 325e with the automatic..

I always told my friend that the motor in his wife's BMW was outsourced to Allis-Chalmers..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You are probably correct as I never really paid too much attention to the "e" cars. ;-)

"I always told my friend that the motor in his wife's BMW was outsourced to Allis-Chalmers."

Hmmm, I didn't know that Allis-Chalmers built engines for Ramblers. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Tranny-I may end up going to a marriage counselor, because of the stick vs. auto debate. I think it's a godsend to have the new 6speed standard, but the wife "can't" drive the manual. I was hoping to compromise with the SMG, but that's on hold till September.

Pricing-You guys are probably right about the discounts available to clever shoppers. If you work at it, it should be possible. I am probably lazy.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Quite simply, help her learn how to drive stick. If it's gonna be your car (as in daily driver), I can't see any logical reason you should be miserable.
    "I can't see any logical reason you should be miserable."

Really... this is the funniest thing I've read all day...

Then again, maybe it isn't...

I'll lay odds that you aren't married.. ;-)

regards,
    kyfdx
    (who agrees with you wholeheartedly)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Wow, I sure am glad that Mrs. Shipo would prefer to drive a stick, and certainly would be doing so every day if a Dodge Caravan could still be had that way. Back when our growing family forced us to consider getting a van, she was driving a Neon Sport with a 5-Speed and loved it. I said to her one night, "Dear, I think it's time for us to think about getting a minivan."

Her, "Yeah, I suppose you're right. Which models come with a stick shift?" Honestly, that was the very first question she asked me.

Me, "Errr, well, to the best of my knowledge, none that are big enough for what we need."

Her, "Well then I'm not driving it, you are."

Me, "Sweetie, I have a two hour commute through NYC traffic everyday, you have a five minute commute to the train. There is no way I'm driving a slush box for two hours every day."

And that was that. We didn't revisit the topic for another year, until it became obvious to her that a minivan, even with an automatic, was an absolute necessity.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    The Stick shift debate is the most contentious debate in our marriage.

In fact second most contentious debate. First one is how I surf TV channels during my wife's prescence.
    This is a great story. While I don't have the years of experience in car knowledge as most of the people on this board, I will say that what I have noticed in the metro areas like in DC and Charlotte, most people own a BMW for the sake of owning one, not because it offers great performance and handling. So as I enviously peak inside BMWs parked in my work garage and see the automatic transmission, I just think "What a waste of a great performance vehicle." And that's not to say owning an automatic is a waste, I just personally think you're not maximizing the car's performance in a manual.
    Thanks for clarifying. When I saw on the Audi website a non-mannual option, I flipped. It is bizarre that they would release the mannual after the automatic rather than intandem. But the new exterior design of the E90 still wins out for me over the new A4.
    Hmmm, thinking out loud (sort of).

Given Audi's lukewarm support (and waning) of those of us who like to stir our own, I find myself wondering how long it will be before an Audi dealership somewhere lacks even a single technician that can drive a stick let alone work on one (not that they need much work).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'm not but the girl I dated for 8 years didn't do a number of things when I met her. She didn't eat sushi and couldn't drive stick. I rectified both deficiencies.

Growing up in my household my parents had very clear lines drawn regarding the cars. My mom always had a convertible or sports car and dad always had sedans/big trucks and his show cars. They'd drive each others cars but would readily admit, "god this car is horrible." when talking about the other's cars.

I have feeling it'll be the same in my household one day. She can drive anything she wants but don't expect me to like it. Not that it should matter. :)
    I hear ya, I think I'm jumping ship from Audi to BMW.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Not coincidentally, the topic of my post is identical to the topic of this discussion. Let's stick to it. Thanks!

(if you need a manual v automatic discussion re-opened, give us a shout)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Shipo

I am sure you already know this but the 2006 version of the B7 ( A4 )will have the manual option as well as the S-Line package in summer of 2005.

IMO, shoppers will have a nice choice between BMW and Audi for both manual or auto options if they can wait until Aug/Sept.
    1998, wow has it been that long ? It's all comming back to me now. Im glad you brought up the manual issue here ,I wont have to post on the Passat thread :).

The other evening waiting on my salesperson I walked the entire lot and back lot pining to see one manual 325 or 330! Finally I located a Jet black/Sand leather Sport 325i.Now what important about this is one of the larger BMW centers in Dallas and nationally high sales numbers I understand. And.. I was told they were having trouble moving it....

To stay on Topic my 1st BMW ride(not ownership) was a 635CSI I was sold on the Ultimate Driving Experience :) My opinion as an accident investigator is Manual driver stay focused more on the road and are more safe.I mentioned on one thread about a guy eating a Chicken Fried Steak on a plate at a Red light..

DL
    to not get us Booted.. I just read the article on the E90 in April Motor Trend. Looking at their statistics the Legroom/headroom is the same. The longer chassis results in a slightly larger trunk and slight rear shoulder room. I would have appreciated slightly more legroom but less so than 5er size of course. Also they estimate the 330i at $37500 a $1800 increase.

DL
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    All the press I've read mentions less rear headroom....
    Front headroom is up 0.4"
    Rear headroom is down 0.3"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This is going to be "her car." I would have gotten SMG, but that's not available till September-can't wait that long. Regardless of whose car it is, I just can't stand to see the waste of a good 6 speed-probably the best in it's class. There is a preference difference between US & UK buyers. Brits prefer standard. I think it also has to do with the price of gas. My mother warned me that our cultural differences would come between us one day :)

On topic-Got the brochure yesterday. The E90 is beautiful in Sparkling Graphite. I'm going with that, now I just have to figure out if it's a 325 or 330. Why is it that everyone has a copy of the April Motor Trend, but my copy hasn't arrived yet :(
    Did you go to the dealership and request a brochure or go through BMW's website?
    Hmmm, interesting, I had sort of assumed that the E90 lost an inch in headroom. Why? Because I had compared it to the interior measurements of my 1999 328i, consider the following:

1999 E46 328i Headroom: (Fr) 38.4" (Rr) 37.5"
    2005 E46 330i Headroom: (Fr) 37.0" (Rr) 37.4"
    2006 E90 330i Headroom: (Fr) 37.4" (Rr) 37.1"

After thinking about this further I seem to remember someone mentioning that the E46 now comes standard with a moon roof whereas my 1999 did not (but I did order one). Yes, no? If that is the case, my bet is that the headroom measurement reflects the car in base trim, and that means that the E90 does in fact offer an extra 0.4" of head room compared to my 328i.

Errr, did that make any sense? I think it's time for another cup of Oolong. ;-)

Best Regards
    Shipo
    You've got it.. the '05/'06 figures are w/sunroof.. The figures for '99 are likely "without".

Have you seen the 3/1/05 pdf press release? A lot of good info in there.. It is amazing the number of changes that have been made.. Or maybe it isn't, since it is the first redesign in 7 years...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hmmm, nope, haven't seen it/can't find it. :-/ The only BMW press release that I've been able to find dated 3-Mar-2005 is the one about the "Lifted" 7-Series.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.