Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• gogglespiasanogogglespiasano Member Posts: 28
    tex62 and others,

I was actually quite surprised at the discounts available on the new 2006 3 series. I don't think dealers will be giving much in the way of discounts but I have had several dealers mention that they would knock $1000 off MSRP. I attrribute this to the fact that they have sold so many 2005 3 series with the incentives that they are worried that may have absorbed alot of the demand. Also, they are getting lots of 3 series in May, June and other competitive cars such as Acura TL and RL, Lexus and Audi are being discounted.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    They can easily "say" they will cut $1000 off MSRP if they feel like it, then make up the money elsewhere in so many other parts of the transaction or just plain not do it when the time comes.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Nail on the head my friend. Whats absurd is that one can deal in NY/NJ and not TX. My example:

I briefly looked a month ago at a rare bird 2005 with CWP. As you can imagine not many to be found here in the South. After not such a great offer (with incentives)I made a very fair (and probably too high) offer. The response was "we offer good pricing up front to avoid the back and forth" your getting a great car,at a good price" "we stand by our offer" . dont let the door hit you..... ect ect

Guess what ? said vehicle is still there, with 2006's at the port. Come July in TX will they move it with heated seats ? BTW another poster from NY bought exact equipped car last week for $1500 less than I was offered.
    Regards,
    DL
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    I have been dealing with all the 4 dealers in the Dallas metroplex and yes it's hard to bargain with them. One dealer in particular seems like he will sell for close to what I want(about $33K for a $40K vehicle). But all this has only been done on email. I have not gone to the dealership to try to purhcase one yet.

I am waiting for the new models to come out. So, I am in no rush to buy...also the feeling of driving a paid off car is sweet for the time being! I will buy one right away, only if I got a deal that was hard to resist!

I spoke with a dealer in Temple/Bryan, and he has agreed to do ED with only a resonable profit. So, seems like I do have something lined up if I like the new models and do ED.

There is a site someone posted here for rating dealers...I think it was dealerater.com or something similar. The dealerships in Arlington and Fortworth had very excellnt ratings. The ones in Richardson and Dallas had very very poor ratings.

AMT-
  • pisciottapisciotta Member Posts: 54
    Hi
    I saw the new 2006 3 series at the new york auto show and to tell you the truth I didn't care for the new styling, looks alot better in pictures!!!!
  • qtowne46qtowne46 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone here heard of if and when Bavarian is going to add the performance package to the E90? I realize the E90 will have more ponies then the E46, but a ZHP E90 would be radical.
  • dlw314dlw314 Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    I saw the new 2006 3 series at the new york auto show and to tell you the truth I didn't care for the new styling, looks alot better in pictures!!!!

Funny, I though the exact opposite when I saw it at the NY auto show ...

I felt it looks better in person than it does in pictures, and I definitely like the new styling...

I guess it's just different strokes for different folks... :)
  • tex62tex62 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on the dealers in Dallas. Collusion in this area would not be that far fetched. I'm going to test the waters in Temple and see if these guys are hungry enough to sell me a car....
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    You say someone told you that "there is a BMW purchase policy not to discount the new 3 series beyond MSRP for the next 6 months"?

Isn't this called price fixing, conspiracy, and all those other nice illegal things? Call your state attorney general.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm prognosticating here, never-the-less, here goes...

My bet (were I a bettin' man, which for the most part I'm not) would be that we will see the E90 330i remain basically unchanged for the 2006 and 2007 model years. Starting with 2008 we'll probably see a 333i or even a 335i, which will of course boast of a 3.3 or 3.5 liter mill and nearly 300 of BMW's conservative ponies. As for an E90 330i ZHP, I don't think that will ever materialize. Why? Well, the E46 330i ZHP was in reality a Band-Aid slapped on the 330i simply because the G35 exploited a fairly big hole in the E46 line-up, namely no M3 Sedan. Assuming that the rumor mill is even remotely correct, BMW will not make that mistake this time around, as it seems that an E90 M3 Sedan is in the offing in a year or two.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • qtowne46qtowne46 Member Posts: 8
    Bavarian certainly needs a 4 door M3. I mean why not right? With the current horsepower wars going on, BMW can't just sit pat and not release some sort of package for the 330 within a few years. I mean I have a 2001 330 ci manual and the car is plenty quick and agile. However it is somewhat unimpressive from a complete stop. It makes up for it ounce you hit 3rd. It continues to pull. I would love to see the M3 four door, or 330 i with some sort of performance package for the E90. Does anyone know what the new M3 will look like? Hopefully a bit more sexy, cause that's what the E46 exudes.
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    I live in Dallas, & have had the same experience. Looks like you are headed in the right direction by expanding your search further out. Best of luck to you.
  • rocky20nmrocky20nm Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my new bmw and it was discounted by $1300.00 off of MSRP. You can get them to discount it. Get two dealers involed and you might get a good deal.

Good Luck.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Here is a comparison test idea featuring the new BMW 3 series.

Entry Level Luxury Sedans

Acura TL
    Audi A4
    BMW 330i
    Lexus ES330
    Lincoln Zephyr
    Mercedes Benz C350
    Saab 9-3
    Volvo S40

Maybe edmunds could invite the Infinti G35 and the Cadillac CTS back, as they were featured in the 2002 or 2003 comparison test. Both cars haven't been significantly updated since then. Cadillac, however did introduce the CTS-V, but that doesn't belong in this class.
    Other than the stiff winds.. :mad: it was a beautiful day. Im guessing about 20 or so were there, not including those that showed up as the parade was leaving. Got tons of great pics, Unfortunatly, don't know how to post them. However they are the same Monaco Blue,Silver uve all seen by now . As many have said I think its even better in person. I also agree the interior materials even look better than the 5 , which is good news. My only disappointment is the rear seat isnt a smidgin better than the E46.The announcer told us the 500 miles from N'awlins he got 30 mpg at 80mph in the 330i six speed.

The best part was the BMW girl's on the Longhorn ;) , oh yeah and thanks to the South fork Ranch for the free tour.

DL
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Acura TL
    Audi A4
    BMW 330i
    Lexus ES330
    Lincoln Zephyr
    Mercedes Benz C350
    Saab 9-3
    Volvo S40

Uh, the ES330, Lincoln and Saab really aren't competitors to the 3. Why not the IS350?
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I agree that the 330 and zephyr don't fit, but i'd leave the 9-3 in there, especially if they've got the v6 in there at that point. The is350 ought to be in the group as well.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "The best part was the BMW girl's on the Longhorn..."

Ummm, did you get any pictures of the cars? ;-)

While pictures in my Yahoo! photo area aren't URLable (which would allow pictures to be displayed directly here at Edmunds), it can be gotten to via a link. If you don't come up with any other options, I would be happy to create an album over there which credits the photos to you. If you decide to go this route, I'll set you up a login on my FTP server so you can send them to me, I will then post them on Yahoo!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Rocky20nm

Dude, are you going to tell us what model you got and what options? Also, what state are you in?
    But hey, there were more cows than cars ! ;) But I did manage to get some car photo's. I have a new digital, an am fiddling with the software it came with. It was very entertaining to see all the assistant's from NJ/Conn get on the step stool and pose on the Bull! Looked like they had a great time. Funny, I work only 5 miles from South fork but never had a reason to go visit. Myself and guest happen to be touring the mansion when the BMW photo was taken. Should be pretty cool with the Bull in front and the Mansion in the background.....

DL
  • cozmykcozmyk Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading on this forum for some time and let me say you all are a wealth of knowledge. Today I went into a dealer and while the residual(64%) on a three year lease was good the money factor was .0032. The salesman claims that this is the best rate they offer, but on my lease it equates to about 165.30 in monthly rent which would give me a total payment of 536.78 for a 2006 325i. I was wondering what kind of money factors anyone else has been quoted at for these cars.

I mean at this price I could be in an 05 5 series for cheaper.
  • cozmykcozmyk Member Posts: 3
    i also forgot to add that they are charging an $825 bank fee and a $45 doc fee on the lease.
    Look forward to the pics. Loved the car. It looks so much better in person. The back looks fine. My friend commented that with the sport package, it looks more like the 7, than the 5. If you're thinking about the SP, don't think-it is great. The wheels alone do it. Loved the silver, black, & alu combo-made it look very sporty. Glad I changed my order from the monaco blue to sparkling graphite, as I caught an MB in the parking area.

The car actually looks and feels about the same size as the E46. The interior is nice. Front space is great for anyone around 6'. The back didn't feel that different than the E46. Lots of cupholders everywhere-don't know how long they will last. The aux input is great. We tried out an ipod, & it fit perfectly. Would have loved to test the stereo out at least. They also had a 1973 2002 with 43k on it. It was beautiful.
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    REgarding the backseat rom, I too was at the Dallas event. I'm 6 foot and I have more room in the back seat than my E46 and as much or more than my E39, so they did an excellent job. It will be my next car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    We'll be moving to the Sedans board in a day or so. If you're subscribed to this discussion or have it bookmarked, nothing will change for you. If not, now's a good time to do so.

You can always locate this topic using the handy search features at the left.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Did you arrive a little later ? They had the standard radio on in he 325i when I got there at 9. I thought it sounded great compaired to my former 323i. The M3 lightweigh (withcloth) was also very nice.
    I checked Owners circle today and my Silver/Black/Wanut is built and awaiting transport. Im hopeing that means about 4-6 weeks.

DL
    PLANOML, AJAYME, DL7265 & others that have been to this event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So living in califonia, I have to wait until the last stop on there road trip to see this car. My question for all of you that have attended is as follows:

The 330i that is there, what packages are outfitted on it. Sounds like Sport is, Premium? Cold Weather?

If the silver metallic with black leather has the sport and the premium, how is the lumbar support on the sport seats? How cushy are the leather seats?

Thanks
  • selmselm Member Posts: 122
    I was quoted .00305. The standard rate is .00265. That too me is still very high, and high enough for me to wait.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    The base rate is .00265.. they are marking up the money factor the maximum .0004, plus adding .00015 for waiver of a security deposit.. Also, marking up the acquisition fee by $200...

IOW, they are marking up all the lease numbers the maximum allowed by BMWFS.... I'd find somewhere else.. I certainly wouldn't lease under this scenario...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

yes Sport,Premium,CWP, I know that cause I folded down the rear seats. I did not run -up per sea the lumbar, But I can tell you the New Sport seats with bolsters fit me Very well. Even more comfortable than my former 323i Sport. Only thing I would caution on the Sport seats If you get a light interior the side bolsters will wear very rapidly. Im going Black ette, just for this issue...

I just made a Yahoo album ill try to get it completed this evening for viewing.

DL
    I didn't otice a big diff. between the E46 & E90, so if you already haven't try them out. For this particular car, it felt good. I still can't get over the combo-it is great.
    I did get there a little late. Waiting is the worst part of this deal. Nice combo.
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    i know this is a 3 forum but i have a question. i am posting this here b/c i presently drive an 03 330i with a lease up in november and an expanding family.

how many of you would consider an x3?
  • psyranpsyran Member Posts: 30
    planoml,
    I am in a quandry re: colors (exterior). Thought I had a couple of weeks at least to decide, but was just informed I am status 112 on my 330. Presently have ordered a SG, ZSP, ZPP (black leather/alum.) Really wanted to see the Arctic and was leaning toward that but ordered the SG as a default. However it looks like I will not be able to see the Arctic in time to change. Which silver did you see? Titanium or S. Graphite? How did it look?
    Thanks,
    psyran
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    If you are looking for more room, I wouldn't go for the X3 nor the X5. Neither has much back seat space and practically no trunk space especially with a full size stroller. I would go with an MDX (about the same $) or the Pilot (much less$).
  • ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    I wouldn't use the term cushy for the sport seats. They are firm and have great lumbar and also power bolster adjustment. As long as your not wide in the posterior, these seats are great! The iPod jack was a nice touch. Enjoy the event when it gets to CA.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Or a Mountaineer, which is the same maybe less and can tow 5,000 lbs.
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    So what you're saying is that for those of us that have to walk sideways through doors because of backside challenges, the seats may be uncomfortable, correct? :) Guess this might be motiviation for me to get to a gym.
    AJAYME & others:

Thanks for the reply, I am 5' 9" 165 so width nor height will be an issue. My main concern is the comfort that this seat will provide with Lumbar support. I am in the car 1 1/2 - 2 hrs a day for commute and although i am in pretty good shape ( I run, go to the gym and surf ) my lower back is sensitive to a crappy seat.

I had a 530i for very short period without lumbar and that was a painful experience.

Thanks
    DL7265

Thanks for the reply. That is actually great news, my personal configuration will be exactly the same as the 3 series across america's demo car.
    Premium
    Cold Weather
    Sport
    Black Leather
    Silver Metallic
    and
    Burl Walnut or Aluminum Trim

Looking forward to seeing the car on the 29th. Kind of silly though because these cars are supposed to be in showrooms 1 week later. I am driving 4 hours round trip for this 2 hour event. I just know i will never see this vehicle exactly outfitted to my specs again.

Thanks
    I thought Sparkling Graphite was a dark color, with purplish tints.. not a silver..

IOW, closer to Sapphire Black than to Silver-Grey..

Maybe, I'm wrong?...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    I thought it was much closer to the "Dolphin Gray" which is offered by Audi and looks great in person, I stil prefer black though.

One a side note, what is the special pricing I'm seeing on Z4s? New model coming in soon or are they just not moving them?
  • derfoderfo Member Posts: 36
    Do all the 325 and 330 BMW's have the French made tranny? My wife is thinking of buying either of the 06 model year. If all BMW's (325 and 330) are made that way, she will not buy a BMW!!! :cry:
    Can you order a 325 or a 330 and request a German made Tranny??
    Thanks in advance!! This is a great forum.
    Z4s have been a tough sale ever since the first one...

$2500 dealer incentive on the 2.5 model

$4500 dealer incentive on the 3.0 model

No new model coming in.. On the '04s, the incentive got up to $6500 on the 3.0 model last fall...

regards,
    kyfdx

PS: I like the Arctic..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Why does your wife care where the transmission was made? The company that makes the transmissions in France, also makes transmissions all over the world, in conjunction with a lot of other companies.. She'll have to do a lot of research to make sure she doesn't buy a transmission from them...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Have you driven an X3? While I loathed my time in that car (3 days), I'd take it in a heartbeat over a Pilot or MDX (eek!). The X3 3.0 with a 6 speed is simply lightyears in handling and performance beyond any other vehicle in that class. Only Mazda's Tribute comes close to providing the handling of the X3 in the under 40k segment of SUVs.

Sorry, if the guy's a bimmer fan, the MDX/Pilot will be a major let down. Totally staid, bland, poor handling and all around flaccid.
    ky, oh, a 6500 incentive on a z4 3.0 makes is sound pretty attractive. Until i priced one. Yikes, that's expensive for that car even with the incentive. I've grown to find them pretty darn sexy though...

I've toyed with the idea of getting one instead of an e90 and then holding out until the e90 m3 is available. Still think I'll end up with an e90 though.
    NP, Do they not load up cars in CA ? For me here as you can imagine the CWP is never seen ,and I wanted the utility of fold down seats. Seemed to make sense to get the whole package. Like you my lower back aint the best, I may use the hot seat even when its not cold out. In the E90 the side bolsters are heated ! What I just learned on the 5er board was with I drive you can even adjust the heat between the seat and seat back!

DL
    not to mention an Exploder, Mountaineer ect is one of the most dangerous vehices on the road. I could not tell you how many roll over accidents with those I have investigated.I could never recommend one.

DL
This discussion has been closed.