Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Hey guys, is it true that the plant shuts down in August to retool?

If so, if I order a 330i at the end of July will it be built in September?

If so, will all the software bugs be worked out by then?

Thanks
    bmwccc
    :confuse:
  • bmwboy29bmwboy29 Member Posts: 12
    Hey guys! does anyone know if the comfort access for September production will have the option of lowering all the windows and opening the moonroof from remote? Its std on the Mercedes C-Class that I was looking at as well...
  • kasperghostkasperghost Member Posts: 72
    1. My sales person told me that a blue color holiday occurs during the last 3 weeks of August across Germany (now there's an idea :shades:). He also said it only takes about 4 days to build a car- so in theory- it could be pinched out. The majority of the time is spent waiting for a full ship load of cars and moving them across the water.

2. Comfort Access is keeping the fob in your pocket and just pressing the start button for turning on the engine. The key fob already has the all windows down option built in- I think it is press twice and hold down the third time.
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    Anyone have any comments on ataching I-Pods to the AUX in the center armrest? (ease, sound, convienence)? And, if you have the nav package, does that help or hurt the capabilities of using the I-Pods?

Thanks for the help.
    djocks
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Anyone purchased their 330i from a No. Ca. dealer and received a great price around $1000 - $1200 over invoice?

If so, where and who is CA?

Thanks
    bmwccc
  • kbhockeykbhockey Member Posts: 29
    Hey djocks-
    i have attached an ipod in the armrest, all that i required is a small cable you can purchase at best buy,etc for around $6--

then connect it up,select AUX and hit play on the ipod.
    it worked great on long trip-

i wish it had the 2005 feature of real ipod integration--not quite sure why they would remove that capability in the e90-

cheers
    KB
  • odessitodessit Member Posts: 140
    It is available as an accessory
    http://www.ipodyourbmw.com/
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I am on the verge of ordering a 2006 330i for my wife and I to share. We figured out exactly how we want the car to be equipped, except for one thing. In some way, shape or form, my wife wants to have Sirrius satellitte radio in the car. BMW will either install satellite radio for $595 or prep the car for satellite radio for $75. Factory installation seems costly, but it does include the first year's subscription fee. Factory installation seems convenient in that satellite channels would be right there in the standard radio without having to plug-in a separately purchased portable satellite radio unit and play it through the radio's aux system. On the other hand, plug-in portable units seem to be a cheaper and more flexible way to go. Rather than having the satellite radio confined to our new BMW which we will lease for 3 years and then return, we could possibly use it in our home, our other car, our next BMW, etc. We are new to satellite radio. So any information and advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    dl,

Yes, it is at the TMS. I'm attending July 31st. If you haven't received an invite yet, call 888-344-4BMW/866-892-4BMW.

Cheers
  • rbmw60rbmw60 Member Posts: 8
    There are three minor design issues which only slightly impact driving comfort, certainly they should not detract from anyone considering purchasing\leasing a 3 series. To restate the obvious, those cup holders need to be changed. The outside mirrors could be a little larger yet still be designed to be aerodynamic. Lastly, the cockpit is a bit cramped with the intrusion of the console on the drivers leg.

As to road noise, I don't seem to notice it. Perhaps it's because I'm so concentrated on the fun I'm having at 100 mph! My opinion is that this machine comes into it's own on the highway. Downshifting from 6th to 5th to pass while going up hill is one of the finer pleasures!
    Regards to all
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Well get this. I called and she said sorry all 3 days booked up. Do you not have a invitation ? Good question since i attended the last 3 events been a BMWCCA member for 6 years and took the 1st delivery of a 2006 in Dallas im not a very happy camper right now. Not including i took the 31st off allready. She said well i call you if we have a cancelation, yeah right.

DL
  • cindy17cindy17 Member Posts: 3
    Dear folks,
    I need your help here. I just bought a BMW last month and negotiated to have compass installed for free( I don't have the premium package which includes the compass). Now I was informed that they can not install the compass as my car doesn't have alarm system or another system I forget the name to support the compass. Is that true? I am so depressed to hear this as I am a dummy lady with no sense to the direction at all !!! What shall I do then?
    Please help me!
    Sorry to hear that. The compass only comes with the Premium Package. Don't know why the dealer said they could, and later changed their story. If you have problems with directions, an OEM GPS system may be the way to go. You will get voice-guided direction and maps of where you are; all for about $500-700.

If you're really miffed, get the dealer to give you something else; but be fair. Best of luck.
    That's pathetic!! I received an e-invite. Call your SA. Given your CCA tenure, and recent purchase, they should accomodate. Not to rub-it-in, but why would you take a Sunday off (7/31)?
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    The Premier package has a compass? Which models?
    This is only accurate for the 2006 3 series:

You can order the compass as a line item from their parts catalog, but like you said, you need the alarm system for it to work (it also needs the rain sensor, but that is stock on the 2006. The good news is that you can line item the alarm system too. It is an additional 300 bucks.

Both items are listed in their accessories catalog on page 24.

It is a irritation for the dealer to make a statement without talking to the service/parts dept. to see if it can be accomplished.

Good luck-
    As a Gov employee , I usually get Mon/Tues days off. :(

Im going to call BMW CS tomorrow. I know they have all my info cause they contacted me all ready to give opinions on future models after my purchase.

DL
  • khucsbkhucsb Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could answer a few of my questions

If i were to order a 330i with the sports package, how long do you think the 18 inch run flats will last? How much will it be to replace these tires and what brands are worth getting? Pirelli? Can we order NON-run flats in the future?

Also, I remember reading some posts about the difference between jet black and metallic black. I'm leaning towards jet black because I want a deeper black. However, im worried that the jet black will leave those swirl marks after a little while. Does metallic paint hold its look longer?

Thanks for all your help. I read this forum everyday and its amazing.
  • wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Can any MP3 player such as the Dell Jukebox be plugged into the center console of the new 3 Series or do you have to use an I-Pod? If so, does anyone new were I can get the necessary accessory/wire to connect it with? Thanks
    Should be able to use most players, unless it's a wind-up grammaphone. I have a dell axim x50v that I use. Works fine. You can get the connecting (3mm) wire from any radio shack, for about $5.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    the problem with NON-runflats is that there is no room for a spare in the car. so, you'd be really stuck if you got a flat.
    Traditionally manufacturers put tires with low tread wear ratings on their cars, it. BMW is no different. The 18's have a treadwear of 140 wich is extremely low. I would expect 1 summer's life 5-10k. Don't know on the other questions...

You could always get retreads :surprise:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Has anybody seen or sat in an E90 3series with Leatherette? How's the quality?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

HEY GUYS HERE IS A SUPRISE!! The owners manual! I found it on another site!
    ENJOY!
    http://www.e90post.com/goodiesforyou/e90_manual.pdf
    Ive driven on it for 2800 miles now. Its the same as the Sensa on the 5er now. Not worth $1450 extra in my book, unless you want the other goodies.. Are you ready to trade your prelude ?

DL
    Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. I apologize that you were not able to register for the upcoming Ultimate Driving Experience. Regrettably, spaces are limited and fill up very quickly. I have requested that your contact information be added to our invitation list for future events.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,
  • selmselm Member Posts: 122
    I ordered my 325i with the leatherette. I cannot tell much difference except leather has a strong odor and is slightly softer. I think the ette is better quality that the real leather in my Infiniti so I wasn't going to pay the premium.

Then again I will be one of very few owners who does not have power seats (I will be the only one driving the car.) I think the best bang for the buck is base + ZSP. If I wanted a moving sofa, I would get a lexus!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I've had both; the primary difference is the Leatherette is more durable and is easier to care for. 99% of the people who say leather is MUCH, MUCH, better couldn't tell the difference were it not for the distinctive smell of the leather.
    I must agree with dl7265 and selm – the quality of ette is perfect. Before buying I tried two cars- side by side –with leather and with vinyl (ette). I could not tell the difference. In my opinion – doesn’t worth extra $$$.
    All of my friend who drove the car say "...and the leather is very nice..." and then I say to them "...well, its not exactly leather :)" It’s not only me – many people simply cant feel the difference
    The great cars make up for the lack of customer service at BMWNA. I'm sorry for you, man.
    Darn now I dont know what to do,I already ordered my 325xi with leather and not ette. UGH :(
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Love it, all of a sudden leatherette is hot.
    How long ago? Look, try to approach you sales person and see what he can do about it. The car is not actually build with your name on it. It has a set of features/options that you ordered. I ma sure there are others who will be happy to get the same package as you order sooner that usual 6-8 week. I think it’s up to the sales person to do some extra work and try to find who else ordered similar package/color and try to shift the car towards that person and you’ll be able to re-customize your order. Just give it a try.
    Not hot. Just cheaper:)
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You don't have to convince me. It's just that people think they will lose their life savings and all of the equity in their homes if they don't get leather.
  • fsuboosterfsubooster Member Posts: 1
    I didn't see any mention of an acquisition fee in these numbers. I received a lease quote on a 2006 330i and it included this "fee" to acquire the car in addition to a disposal fee to get rid of the car. Does BMW FA always charge both up front and back end?
  • wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    You still should be able to change it. I also ordered a 325xi and production is not scheduled to begin until September with final orders due in by the first week of August. This is what my salesman told me last week when I asked him for a status report. By the way, I was originally weary of Leatherette myself until I sat in it and found it more comfortable and a lot cheaper than leather.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    My guest for the friday 3:30 slot in chicago can't make it.

Hm-hm.
    Yeah, there's a $900 acquisition fee in NY. It is less elsewhere - $625 I think. There is also a disposition fee.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    The reason I was inquiring about the leatherette is because it is cheaper and I remember a few people saying the 'ette in their E46 is pretty darn good. $1450 is $1450 no matter how you slice it, so I'd rather have the money in my pocket (check that, in my wife's pocketbook).

dl7265: Am I ready to trade my Prelude in? It is funny you should ask. The rational side (read: cheap) side of me says that the Prelude is paid for, it is only a few hundred shy of 50K miles, still drives great, and looks wonderful (I run it through a great car wash once every 2 weeks or so). I still get people asking me if my car is an '04 or even an '05. I tell them Prelude production stopped in November 2001 and they look at me in disbelief.

I was planning on keeping the Prelude for another year to do ED next July. But I've been thinking lately how much I love cars in general and especially BMWs. I do a decent amount of driving (20K miles per year), work 6 days a week starting at 7:30AM, and realize that you only do go around once and you never know when your time will be up. The payments will be a slight stretch for me, but I know I won't regret it. So I'm going to see if I can get a $1000 over invoice deal on an '06 325i with a stick, SP, Hot Seats, Sirius, and metallic paint. I'll kepp you guys in the loop.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"Then again I will be one of very few owners who does not have power seats (I will be the only one driving the car.) I think the best bang for the buck is base + ZSP. If I wanted a moving sofa, I would get a lexus!"

Do the manual sport seats have all the same adjustments as the power sports? I am debating on power seats due to this. Thanks-

(I'm a leatherette man too- and no, you'll never hear me speak that sentence in public) :P
  • psyranpsyran Member Posts: 30
    I don't know. i'm only getting about 20.5 mpg with my manual e90 330i (mostly around town).
    psyran
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    99% of the people who say leather is MUCH, MUCH, better couldn't tell the difference were it not for the distinctive smell of the leather.

Must be in the 1% because the ette feels like rubber to me. Way too grippy.
    what's wrong with 20 mpg? sounds fine for around town driving.
    Do the manual sport seats have all the same adjustments as the power sports? I am debating on power seats due to this. </I.

manual seats have about half the adjustments. i loathe the manual seats though...it's one of the elements that turned me off to the e46 325i.
    Thanks you guys are great. But im tryin to save my Advantage miles for another trip :) . Perhaps I can get a closer offer.

NY: if you can do the ED go for it. I really regret i could not this time . Like you im racking up the miles on my Bimmer. The cost savings would help me equal out on the end side,then again didnt i buy it to drive it?

Blue: your right there is a slight rubber feel. ok by me. My last Leather/Sport car side bolsters wore thin way too quick for my taste. When i saw my friends E36 with "ette i was amazed how it looked perfect after 170K Miles !

DL
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    Do the manual sport seats have all the same adjustments as the power sports?

Then manual sports seats in my E46 are 10 way adjustable. I imagine they are the same in the E90, but others can better answer that question.

"So why am I even responding?", he asked himself, rhetorically.
    And also too hard IMO. So I went with leather in the new 330i I just ordered yesterday. My father-in-law has leatherette in his '04 325ci. He has no complaints so far. He had leather in his previous cars. Says he compared the leatherette to the leather and was hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Another consideration is the breathability of leather in those hot summer months.
    I think that's about as advertised for city diriving.

I just ordered a new 330i yesterday. I expect to take delivery on Sep. 1. I'll post my gas mileage and initial impressions after living with it for a few months. My wife will primarily use the car for commuting to/from work, approx 60 highway miles per day (though there is some traffic to contend with). Anyway, I'm hoping for an average mpg in high 20s.
  • cindy17cindy17 Member Posts: 3
    Thank folks. Really appreciate your opinion. The alarm system you mentioned is Alarm Pre_wiring? My 2006 325i includes Alarm Pre-wiring. Will it work for the compass?
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.