Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• rudikamprudikamp Member Posts: 34
    I thought you were going to Munich ?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    The price does seem a bit high for a car that stickers a little north of 33.6K. He's selling me the car for something like $800 over invoice. I have to check the selling price on Tuesday when he gets in. The .0025 mf (6% interest rate) is what makes the price seem high. My Mom has an '05 530iA that she pays $642/month (only $142/ month more for a $50K+ car) for a 3 year lease w/ 15K per year. The mfs were incredibly low when they leased the car in December.

There are a few good reasons to wait and a few reasons to buy now, rather than later:

If I wait (say a year as you propose), the mf will surely be lower and I will have the oppurtunity to purchase the car via ED next July (my wife and I are planning to go to Europe for our vacation anyway). The selling price of the car would be approximately $2100 less (give or take a small price increase around January '06 and for model year '07 if I'm picking it up in July).

The flipside of waiting are: I rack up 20K miles per year. So figure 5 oil changes not bad about $50 each. I provide my own Castrol 5w30 Syntec and they charge me about $18 to change the oil and filter at the Honda dealer (they also provice loaners :shades: ) Figure at least 2 alignments (maybe more if I can't avoid one of the craters we call pot holes) at $79.99. I'm also going to have to have the timing belt changed (read: MAJOR $ERVICE) when the odometer hits 60K (it could last longer, but when the car has a 7400RPM redline you don't want to chance it. I'm also going to have to put new tires on next spring when I take the snow tires off the car. The Potenza RE92s are showing their age (they were garbage from day one). I can also get a decent amount for my Prelude if I sell it now. I'm sure Some college kid will snap it up before he/she goes back to school. It will only depreciate more within the next year.

The biggest reason of all is that you never know if you're going to be around next year. I lost a good friend on 9/11 (amazing father of 4 and a wonderful husband), had one of my best friends drop dead of a heart attack at the age of 27 (he was perfectly healthy), and some guy was killed about a half a block from where I work because he refused to buy a bum some cigarettes (stabbed in the neck while pumping gas).

Thanks for complementing the Prelude :blush: It is pretty awesome :shades:

Sorry for the long post!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bmqbmq Member Posts: 18
    "The selling price of the car would be approximately $2100 less (give or take a small price increase around January '06 and for model year '07 if I'm picking it up in July)."

Are you saying that the price of E90 will come down next year? or that the 2006 model will be cheaper because the 2007 model will be coming out? Interested in your thought process, since I am in a similar situation. I have a perfectly fine car, and can wait a year or so, but these E90 are soooo pretty...and waiting will be hard.

Thinking of ED spring/summer of 2006.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The .0025 mf (6% interest rate) is what makes the price seem high.

That's the exact reason I'd hold off. MF of 25 is pretty high.

If I wait (say a year as you propose), the mf will surely be lower and I will have the oppurtunity to purchase the car via ED next July (my wife and I are planning to go to Europe for our vacation anyway). The selling price of the car would be approximately $2100 less (give or take a small price increase around January '06 and for model year '07 if I'm picking it up in July).

Some college kid will snap it up before he/she goes back to school. It will only depreciate more within the next year.

At this point, the worst is past you on depreciation (years 1-3). I doubt you'll have any trouble moving your vehicle.

Thanks for complementing the Prelude It is pretty awesome

Always had a soft spot for that car. Super fun and not appreciated nearly enough. Regardless, do what makes you happy...I just see $500 for a 325i a month and I feel a little queasy.
  • selmselm Member Posts: 122
    I agree with you 100%, but who is to say that BMW will have to lower the mf in 10 to 12 months. Per Car_Man on the leasing forum, I believe the Acura TSX has never offered any lease support since it has been out and has always used the standard program. Does anyone remember when BMW gave support on the E46 for the first time?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    It's the "rings" that are around the headlights.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Bradd, thanks for your post. Now i know im not the only one around here that obsesses :). My vote would be for the ED , then again at $800 over id run not walk to place an order I. n my part of the country people would be happy to even get $800 off. And that has nothing to do with negotiation skills but more so what i belive our friend Mr Shipo refers to as collusion. Best of luck on your decision.

Plano: did you make the UDE? I wondered if very many E90's showed.

DL
  • bamaboybamaboy Member Posts: 5
    So what are the "rings" around the headlights for? Do they have something to do with the adaptive headlights?
  • timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    Very good, I think. My final price for virtually the same car (different exerior color) was $42,800 (no mats!).
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    When you do a European Delivery [ED] (actually taking delivery of your new BMW in Germany), the purchase price is less expensive. Of course, you need to get over to Germany, and you also need to ship the car overseas, but the vehicle price is lower.
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    dl,

Went to the Autocross. Had a blast. They had Audi's, G35's, & 330s all lined up. We got to drive them all, hard. Guess which one came out ahead. My friend got a 330 up to around 130. So much for the 30/40 mph theory. They do make you sign your life away.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    It is just decorative... Look at an E39 ('97-'03) 5-series.. They all have them..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

and you also need to ship the car overseas, but the vehicle price is lower.

This is something people commonly state but the transport cost is exactly the same as picking your car up at the dealership: $695.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Nice, my Center told me the Sunday event was for beginning teen drivers around a few cones, Grr

DL
  • michaeln1michaeln1 Member Posts: 24
    tim-

see if your dealer could throw in the mats for you upon arrival. i have read at other forums that dealers have given free accessories when they came to pick up the car to their clients. i saw that these gifts ranged from polo shirts to key chains to mats

mike.
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I'm taking delivery of my first BMW on Sep 2. Are these free accessories something you work out with the salesperson in advance as part of your deal (in which case I blew it) or are they gifts that a particular dealership may or may not give to its customers (in which case I have no idea what to expect from my dealer)? Mats would be nice.
    Try this:

"Uh.... there are no floor mats in this car.. What do you mean it doesn't come with mats? (insert number here) $*&#@*&# dollars, and it doesn't even come with floormats? You've got to be kidding!!"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Probably those dealers that are throwing in the mats are doing so to avoid that very kind of reaction from customers at the time of delivery. Whatever their reason for doing so, I hope that my dealer is among those that throw in the mats for "free" on a 40k+ car.
  • michaeln1michaeln1 Member Posts: 24
    from what i read from other customers the gifts were from the dealer and he had no idea that they were giving him free stuff. i worked the mats in at time of the order.

id call your salesperson and see if he would throw them in. i mean your shellling out $40,000+ on a car the least they could do is throw in some mats.
    bmg: I'm not saying the price will come down next year at all. The purchase price of the car if you pick it up via European Delivery the way I have it optioned is approximately $2100 less.

blueguydotcom: My somewhat low optioned 325i isn't sitting on a dealer's lot and will have to be ordered. My salesman told me to expect it to come in early October. Maybe the mf will drop by then. This guy doesn't mess with me :P and will give me the lower mf. I called him the day before we were supposed to take delivery of my Mom's 530iA and "reminded" him that the mf dropped from the time we ordered the car. You also got a super cheap lease deal on your ZHP when you put down the MSD. What would your lease payment be if you didn't put down the MSD? Just curious.

dl7265: You're not the only one. We're just the only 2 who admit it :surprise:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

You also got a super cheap lease deal on your ZHP when you put down the MSD. What would your lease payment be if you didn't put down the MSD?

The MF was originally 0.0013. I bought it down to 0.0003. So it would have been $557 a month instead of the 485 a month I pay.

Turn in my ZHP May of 06 and get my MSDs back....sort of a downpayment on my next car. :)
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    i mean your shellling out $40,000+ on a car the least they could do is throw in some mats.
    You would think..........
    Doesn't always work that way unfortunately. Some times you run in to a dealer who is "doing you a favor" by selling you a car..............
    practicality prevails. I'm going to hold off until next year and try and do ED next summer. $500 is quite a payment to stomach for a $33,690 car. I've nevr been one to stretch my budget too thin either. Who knows what will be out in a year...2 series? Z4 Coupe?

Anyway, thank you all for listening, for your suggestions, and advice.

Thanks for your info and suggestion. I was clueless about the no mats issue at the time of the order. The salesperson probably should have said something one way or the other - either tell me that they're throwing them in or ask me if I want to add them to my order.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    MSD?
  • goldenskygoldensky Member Posts: 9
    I picked up my 325i a couple of weeks ago and received a choice of one of about 50 coffee table books and a $25. gift certificate to be spent in their accessories department. Did choose a keychain but there were hats, shirts and other accessories as well.
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I'm looking to lease a 2006 330i for 36 months w/ 15K miles per year. What MF should I expect? One dealer is offering .0029, which seems very high. Any thoughts?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Multiple Security Deposits. By placing the extra deposits you are loaning BMWFS your money for the term of the lease. In exchange, they lower the money factor. You will get the deposits back at the end, unless you trash the car...
    The current base MF is .0025. I just got it the other day from the famous Car_Man, Lord of the Leasing Forum.

So that dealer is marking it up by .0004. You could negotiate for the base MF.
  • inqinq Member Posts: 10
    thanks. i'll take my phone back fist before contacting the dealer. You may have saved me a lot of time. By the way, how's iDrive; I passed on it only because I couldn't wait for delivery and took the first 330i that was delivered to the dealer "as is".
  • innhitmaninnhitman Member Posts: 7
    There are high end headphone amps, that you can plug the ipod into... before plugging that device into the audio adapter of your 330i. Cost range from 2-300... however, the increased sonics ( especially if you have premium sound) are worth it... especially if you did not get the cd changer......

Yes, it costs as much as an ipod.... but I am talking about maximum sound quality..... ALSO, when you record onto the IPOD, go to preferences and choose WAV. This copies the song, bit for bit.... and retains the purest sound from the cd... you lose a little space on your ipod... but who really needs 5000 songs on their ipod.... I'd sacrificed the space for sound quality every time.

In addition, Monster Cable has come out with icruze..... a product that enables true integration of the ipod... and even has a display so you can see the songs....

I am really pissed that BMW didn't include true ipod integration in the 2006 330i... they always seem to mess something up...

Did you see the cupholders.. that protrude from the dash board.... my wife can barely reach hers.... and she has to buy a small cup of coffee and dump 1/2 of it onto the ground before she puts the 1/2 cup into the holder.... there's an idea... call them "1/2 of a cup, holders"
  • innhitmaninnhitman Member Posts: 7
    I have seen the electric red in person... it's kinda bright... wish it were a little blacker... but you may love it.

As an owner of many BMW's you will become very friendly with the techs.... but I got used to that.
  • dcandis1dcandis1 Member Posts: 16
    If you don't mind me asking...how have you liked your ZHP? I almost bought one earlier this year with closeout pricing. However, I am now seriously considering a 06 325 sport/premium,etc. I would welcome your comments.

Thanks.
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I'm looking for lease figures Angelinos are paying on a 2006 330i. Please include the following:

MSRP:
    Negotiated Price:
    Down Payment:
    Residual Value:
    MF:
    Term:
    Monthly Payment:

Thanks in advance.
  • meangene3meangene3 Member Posts: 6
    anxiously awaiting delivery of my 330i which should be re4ady this friday. I was hoping to take a nice long drive, and i am wondering how long the break in period is. Ultimately, does it really matter? I can remember how long I waited to open up my Aero, but i kind of remember driving fast, early and often. The car runs fine now with 40000 miles on it.
  • kasperghostkasperghost Member Posts: 72
    "ALSO, when you record onto the IPOD, go to preferences and choose WAV. This copies the song, bit for bit.... and retains the purest sound from the cd..."

Not true, uncompressed data from a CD would be 650 megabytes-a 25 year old format doesn't have that built into it, about 50-60 albums on a 40 GB iPod. Try the AIFF or Apple Lossless, superior formats.

Also, the stated max. of song storage is stated at a fairly high sampling rate- I don't know what though. I changed mine to 96 kb. To me 128 is overkill.

...Then there is hearing the engine above 4k for an even better tune:)
    Fun.

Pros: Tight handling but when requested the car can be docile and luxurious. Fun exhaust (that also quiets down when not pressed). Eager, high revving engine...keep it over 4k rpm and it's a blast. Super fun on twisties and long drives, great mileage on long drives even averaging 95 mph.

Cons: Engine stutters at 4k rpm and BMW hasn't been able to fix this (returning for trip no. 4 on this issue Tuesday), electric locks/key fob will stop working for no apparent reason, chassis/interior bits squeaking/flexing a lot over uneven pavement, six speed's notchy and slow to respond. Ignition coils went out (fixed) and e-brake arrived from the factory broken (fixed).

Would I lease it again? Probably. Planning on a break from BMW though when it goes back.
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    1,200 miles. Stay under 80 mph & 4k rpm. I violated this rule for about 2 minutes on the Autobhan. Other than that, I have stayed with it. I'm sure BMW engineers are more qualified than I am, so I just went with the advise. It's your car-do what you feel is best.
  • rbmw60rbmw60 Member Posts: 8
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    Does the BMW 3-Series have SMART KEY? Dynamic Cruise Control? I am not sure. I am asking to see if i should get the Lexus or BMW. And will BMW have a more powerful engine with over 300HP? I dont know what to choose between the Lexus IS or BMW 3. I wish i can get them both but i am in a budget. Lexus is unreliable and BMW has better reliablility (from magazine). Would reliablity matter in a near-luxury car?
  • selmselm Member Posts: 122
    I think I read somewhere to keep it under 100 and 4.5K rpm. Does following the rules during the breakin period really prevent future problems with the engine?

I will be taking ED in September and have already charted out some mountain twisties and less traveled autobahns where the electronically speedlimit usually has the null sign posted. I probably wont travel more than 100 mph as I am not accustomed to fast driving, but I love having my rpms in the higher end of the spectrum when coming out of a turn.
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    I have already read the recent posts. I was just wondering the overall feeling of IPOD's hooked into the aux outlet and how the sound quality has been as well as the overall experience.

I was also talking to a dealer today that says anyone putting in only 93-Oct gasoline in is wasting money. They deliver their cars with 87, and the dealers no that the premium is just not needed? Any truth to this?

--- about to put an order together for a 330i cold weather and idrive/nav only. I know what your saying, but I need the nav for my work! Jet Black, black letherette (I also like the letherette enough to save the money, had it in my '03 330i)

let me know about the ipods,
    and thanks,
    djocks
    I was also deciding between the BMW 3 and the Lexus IS, though the new IS is not yet available to see and drive. I ended up ordering a 330i, because my lease situation is such that I cannot wait for launch of the IS on or about Oct. 1.

Horsepower in the new 3 is 215 for the 325i and 255 for the 330i. In the IS it will be low 200s for the IS250 and low 300s for the IS350. Horsepower is not everything. You should drive both cars, if you have the luxury of time. Base prices will be about the same, IS250 = 325i and IS350 = 330i. I recently saw the IS pricing in the current edition of Automobile magazine.

By the way, which magazine says that Lexus is unreliable and BMW has better reliability? That doesn't sound right. Lexus has been ranked at or near the top for reliability year after year. The same cannot be said for BMW, though I believe that the 3-Series is considered to be the most reliable of any BMW model. That said, we are all taking our chances with the first year run of any new model, be it the new 3 or the new IS.
    I should have clarified. Carpet mats came with the cars -- I assume that's standard. But I am adding all-season mats, which somehow is what I thought we were talkign about.
    Can any relay their experiences with a Verizon bluetooth phone (in the context of BMW bluetooth enabled cars)? Is there a phone model anyone would recommend?
    Anyone have any experience with Dunlop's M3 winter run-flats? I need to buy a set of winter tires for my in-coming 330, since I have the Sport package summer tires.

Also - the car comes equipped with 18". There's no reason that my winter tires couldn't be mounted on 17"s (or, for that matter, 16"s), is there?
    Oh, that's a relief! So are you talking about rubber mats for winter?
    16" wheels won't clear the brakes on a 330i.... But, I would encourage you to use 17" for the snows... cheaper than 18" (tires and wheels) and you can use a tire that isn't quite as wide, which will help with traction....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    By the way, which magazine says that Lexus is unreliable and BMW has better reliability?

I’ve “heard” that the “old” GS and IS did not have as good reliability as the LS & ES; though it still was pretty good…probably close to the BMW

I think this is because people, for the most part, that purchase an IS and GS would want to drive it. When you rev an engine past 2000 rpm it won’t last as long.

My old analogy of the couch comes into play here…give a couch to a frat house, or a geriatrics facility and the same couch will have different “reliability”.
    I am also looking into this, and I am also on Verizon. Compatibility is apparently a major issue - it seems that not all bluetooth enabled phones will work well (or work at all) in BMW cars. The BMWUSA website lists up the phones for each service provider which they have tested and found to be compatible. In the case of Verizon, there appears to be only one way to go - Motorola model E815, which I think replaces the V710.
This discussion has been closed.