Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    16" wheels won't clear the brakes on a 330i....

Really? Good to know.

But, I would encourage you to use 17" for the snows... cheaper than 18" (tires and wheels) and you can use a tire that isn't quite as wide, which will help with traction....

A little less likely to get dinged up, too, I suspect. Any thoughts on winter tires (brand/model)? Better winter or AS, do you think?
    Thanks! This discussion board is great! You and kydfx have been very helpful.
    Right. I thought about trying to get them thrown in, but by that point I was tired of haggling. Actually, I was pleased they included the carpet mats. I know sometimes that's not the case.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I have Goodyear Ultra-Grip GW-3.. My tire guy recommended them, and they have been great.. V-rated, and they handle very well, compared to a basic winter tire.. I might give up just a little bit in snow traction..

However, I can't find them on Goodyear's website any more, so they may have been discontinued....

I like the H-rated and V-rated winter tires for 3-series, because, after all, you will be driving on dry roads at least 90% of time, and you'll want to be able to use the superior handling of your car..

So... The Dunlops and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 are both good choices, along with the Michelin Artic Alpins..

Models change about every other year, so there may be something new out soon, as well..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Think it's worth getting the cradle for the phone? I think it's $130.
    I had very good experience with W-rated Michelin Pilots, but that was on a MT 6-speed FWD (vs. the AT RWD in the 330). I feel inclinded to go that way again, but wonder if the overall performance I enjoyed with those AS would be compromised in the 330's RWD. Plus, they aren't run-flats. Is the GW-3 run-flat?
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    Geez, you mean to say that I might not even get carpet floor mats with my car? I'll kick up quite a fuss if that's the case, maybe even use the quote that kyfdx provided the other day. I don't want to pay for mats. I had a hard enough time paying $475 for having selected a color other than red, white or black. First time I've ever paid extra for metallic paint. If they hit me up $100 or so for carpet mats, that would really put me over the top. This is by far the most money I have ever paid for a car. It is aggravating that they nickel and dime you.

When I got my G35, I could have had any color with no extra charge. I picked black. In the case of the new 3 (and the old ones too), you can choose from only white, red or black at no extra charge. I picked Sparkling Graphite, for an extra $475. Go figure. I picked black one car too late. I love black, but I wanted a change. I came close to getting white. Thought I might tire of red. I wasn't going to do it, until I figured out that it didn't add a heck of lot to the monthly payment on a lease. I'm only paying for 40% of the $475, which is peanuts over 36 payments. So I rationalized that I should just get whatever color I like the best, extra charges be damned. Yet another rationalization!
    A big difference between all-season and winter tires.. If you have to swap out tires, you'll want to get winters, not all-season..

The whole run-flat deal is definitely problematic... also, the TPMS system has to be dealt with, as well...

I'm going to guess that a lot of people will be running normal winter tires, even though they don't have a spare.... Of course, you'll have four other tires you could use for a spare, though not much of a place to store it..

It will likely be October before you'll start to see a lot of availability of run-flat winter tires..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "The whole run-flat deal is definitely problematic... also, the TPMS system has to be dealt with, as well..."

I did a very careful perusal of the E90 Owner's Manual and have yet to find anything that suggests that one cannot mount GetsFlat tires on an E90. It seems that Run Flats are recommended but there were some oblique references to cars not so equipped.

My take on this whole thing is that (per the manual), if you make sure that you reset the TPMS each time you make a change to the tires (meaning something as simple as adding some air to any number of the tires), you should be good to go.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm positive you can run regular tires... The only obvious problem is the spare..

Not sure what is involved with re-setting the TPMS.. hopefully, you don't have to buy new sensors every time you swap out....

You can always throw one of your regular tire/rim in the trunk as an emergency spare, if you want to go that way..

Chrysler Crossfires don't have a spare.... and they use regular tires...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I think the carpet mats are standard on BMW. Other cars/dealers are not always so. Acura wanted a few more bucks. MB did, too, when my in-laws bought their car. I am sure yours will have mats.

I thought about getting black, too -- but every tiny scratch shows! That's the case with my current car. Still ... nothing looks better when polished than black!
    "Not sure what is involved with re-setting the TPMS.. hopefully, you don't have to buy new sensors every time you swap out...."

IIRC, it is a simple push of a couple of buttons. I'll check the manual when I get home and report back.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    TPMS - you mean the car alerts you to pressure variances, right? I assume this is set/configured for the wheels the car comes with, but can be adjusted, no?
    Can I do the reset myself, or is this an off-to-the-dealer-for-repair matter?
    I'm not sure how BMW's system works (but, I bet Shipo does).

Some use the ABS system to measure differences in rotation (I think this is the way BMW does it). Some actually put some kind of sensor on the tire/wheel assembly itself..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well ... my first forey into BMW-land is certainly proving interesting (and costly!). hahaha
    I meant foray
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    My 6er loaner was equipped with run flats and the manual specified a sensor reset procedure. No replacement is necessary, though a brain-dead tire tech can wreck a sensor by not dismounting/mounting the tire correctly.
  • dcandis1dcandis1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for your frankness.

Any leads on your next ride? Nothing that I have driven has been a "wow" experience in this space. The E90 3 has been the best so far, with nothing else left to drive (the IS250 was under consideration until I saw it's performance numbers, way too slow). My second choice at this point would be the A3, but with an aftermarket suspension, tires and stereo.

I guess that I should go with the 3 and hope for the best. At this point, I see no other sport sedans with manual transmissions worth consideration (that I fit in).
    Per the E90 Manual:

Flat Tire Monitor FTM

The concept

The Flat Tire Monitor monitors tire pressures while the car is being driven. The system reports any significant loss of pressure in one tire in relation to another. If a tire loses pressure, its rolling radius changes, and this in turn alters the speed of rotation. This change is detected and is reported as a flat tire.

Functional requirement
    In order to assure the reliable reporting of a flat tire, the system must be initialized for the correct tire inflation pressure.
    Note:The system must be reinitialized each time a tire inflation pressure has been corrected or a wheel or tire has been changed.

As for resetting the system, the manual gives the instructions for the iDrive reset, which is via a menu, however, not a word on how to reset the system if you don't have iDrive. Hmmm, that's weird.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    On non-iDrive models (iDon'tDrive?), there is an "INIT" option on the list of things in the body control computer. I think it disappears after the car has been driven a few miles.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I went up to NH yesterday to test drive some cars in this order:

2005 530i SP AT
    2006 750i SP AT
    2006 325i SP AT

I currently have a 2003 530i. But I was dissapointed with the 530 supplied for this drive. The engine in that car is just not enough and I found the suspension a bit jarring and abrupt. Also, when pushed the tires on that car just don't cut the mustard. I felt that my non-SP 530 does much better with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on 17" wheels. The interior of the car did not at all feel like a step up from my car.

The 750 was a great ride. I think the interior is very nice. The controls would take some getting used to. But the ride is very luxurious. And when pushed it takes off its Cadillac ride and gets down to business. The juxtaposition of handling vs. luxury is amplified here to the nth degree - probably more than other BMW product ever made.

Th 325 was the biggest surpirse to me. The new 6 in combo with the new chasiss is well executed. The fun factor is a 10 even with the smaller engine. The interior is a much better execution the the current 5. You just can't help tossing this baby around. The convertible should be a hoot. If anyone is looking to spend $35K on a car you have to drive this if you are an enthusiast. Homerun for BMW. Hopefully this will generate enough revenue for them to get them to the next 5-series design

Based on these rides I would recommend to the BMW designers that they:
    1) Put the new six in a 7-series i.e. 730i.
    2) Upgrade the 5 interior a lot in 2008 re-do (closer to 7-Series) along with a re-styling to the front end bumper - take the "frown" out
    3) Get out performance packages for the 3-series ASAP
    4) Hurry up with the 3-series hardtop convertible.
    5) Put a bigger sunroof in the 7-series - like the 6-series.

All in all a fun experience that you folks should take advantage of without a salesperson along for the ride
    Thanks Shipo... I knew you would come through..

Pretty good info, from a mini-van driver... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If you would use the phone on a daily basis, then I think it would be worth coughing up another hundred bucks or so for the cradle. Otherwise, your phone will be floating and it could be an annoyance - bulking up your pocket, on the passenger's seat, on the floor after it falls off the passenger's seat on the first good turn or sharp braking, or rattling around in a storage compartment.
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Congrats on the ED! You will love it. What the ED service advisor said appears to be consistent with the manuel-80mph/4k rpm/1,200 miles. He actually told me to stick with that for 1,500 miles.This topic has been debated many times. Some feel that BMW has the knowledge and experience to give good guidance, while others feel that modern engines don't need to follow a 30 year old policy.

Incedently, the general speedlimit in Western Europe is 80 mph. I stuck to that, because I was driving in an unfamiliar car, on unfamilar roads. I also had my family with me. The other issue that we overlook is that the views are very distracting. It's funny that you say that you are not accustomed to driving fast, yet you will be driving 100 mph. I think most of the board members have speeding problems-we need professional help.

This was my first ED. One of the agreements with my wife was that I would keep it under 80. I hope to do another ED soon, & will probably do the same. On the other hand, if you don't have any earthly responsibilities, don't mind going to jail or worse; get a ZHP and drive out of the parking lot at 155 & don't lift your foot until you reach your destination. Best of luck mate!
  • rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 23
    I turned down the floor mat offer, having kept mine from my M. Got a car cover instead.
    New 3 owners out there, which functions are among the programmable personal preferences in the new 3? Is this something I should be discussing with my salesperson prior to delivery so that everything is set up for me right from the start, or is this something the owner can or should do by himself/herself? In case it may matter, my car will be a 330i equipped with automatic transmission, premium package, heated seats, satellite radio and metallic paint. No i-drive. My delivery date is Sep 2.

My wife and I will share the car, and my preferences could be different than her preferences in some instances. How to cope with that?
  • selmselm Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for the input, I think I will follow the advice of BMW. When I was 16 on summer break I was pulled over for going 70 in a 45. Fortunetly, I had my girl friend and her 3 friends in my car and we all were coming from the beach. 4 high school girls in bikinis talking to a police man certainly helped me get out of it with as he was not older than 23. I remember I couldn't talk and all I could think about was how my parents would be so disappointed and upset that I put others in potentail danger. From that moment on I decided that feeling of getting a ticket was stronger than the thrill of fast speed. Now that doesn't stop me from getting up to the speed limit +5 as fast as humanly possible. That is kind of why I want to go on the autobahn, I have years of repressed driving I need to work out!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    One thing about the autobahn is that if there is an accident speedlimit-free section, the party who was going faster may have be partially responsible for the damage incurred, even if not at fault. Oh, and as of 2004, use of highbeam is illegal on the autobahn. For everything you wanted to know about the autobahn:

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm
    Good idea. Don't know about your trip plans, but a round trip might help where you loop back to Munich so that your 1,200 miles are done before you hit the Autobhan. That way you would be familiar with the car & roads before you gun it. As luck would have it, I was stuck in a traffic jam 40 miles outside Paris, when the odo crossed 1,200.
    I am doing a round trip, but I don't think I will get to 1200 miles. Unless I get seriously lost, always a possibility, I am thinking that I will put on about 1000.
    My wife and I deliberately "got lost" so we could do some spontanious sight seeing. :) What I accidentally forgot to mention to her was anything regarding the 1,200 mile break in period and the ability to stand on it while on the autobahn on the way back to Munich once that period was over. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Come on mate. Bump the trip to where you just cross over 1,200 and happen to be on an unlimited stretch of the Autobhan, on a Sunday morning. Listen to Shipo. The German roads are fantastic.
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    I am very close to replacing my 2003 330i with an '06 3 series. I do have 2 questions and am looking for some help.

1. What were the impressions any of you had when and if you test drove the 330i behind the 325i. This is something I am looking to do, but before I do I would love any input, and the choices many of you made.

2. Anyone know when the smart key option comes available to do away of the key fob?

Thanks,
    djocks
    1. I test drove both the 325i and the 330i, both with AT. In my opinion, the 325i was very nice and the 330i was awesome. I ended up splurging on the 330i. Although the 325i now has a 3.0 liter engine, just like the 330i, I judged that the 330i was worth the price difference. In terms of acceleration, while I found the 325i to be peppy, I found the 330i to be fun to drive. Also, the 330i comes with larger wheels/tires and brakes. I also like the chrome accents on the 330i. I wanted power seats, zenon lights and upgraded stereo anyway. So for me, the price difference between the 325i and the 330i was really only about $3K i/o $6K.

2. I heard that the smart key option will be available on cars built when production resumes in September.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I drove the 325i and 330i 6-speed MT (both with SP) back-to-back last month. My impression was that the 330i definitely has more power, but it is in a "breathes better" sort of way. It's not significantly quicker - the 330i just feels a little more robust.

My feelings about these two cars remain the same. If you are intent on having xenons, logic7, and the other goodies that come standard on the 330i, you might as well get the 330i and benefit from the greater HP and larger brakes. If you could care less about the extra frills and want the most bang-for-the-buck, the 325i with 6-speed and SP is the way to go.
    Right now, I only have airfare and I still have to get all my hotels. So I can still rearrange things. Maybe I will tell my wife I really have the desire to go to [insert far European city here] to ensure a 1500 mile vacation.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,261
    I didn't really look at it like a static limit. The manual says that the brakes and tires are broken in after a few hundred miles. Running it to redline a couple of times in the first 1200 miles is not the end of the world. I don't think that a run on the Autobahn in the middle 100's would be a problem a little bit before the magical 1200 mile mark.
    Get up at 0200 each morning... hop in the car and run down the autobahn for an hour, then turn around and come back... back in bed by 0400, with an extra 200 miles on the car... Do this for three nights, and with your other driving, you'll be well over 1200 miles in no time at all..

The last day, you can sleep late, because you can drive back to Munich at 155 MPH...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• amiramir Member Posts: 115
    does anyone know when will the new 3 coupe hit the us showrooms.i am ready to buy the bmw 330i with in the next 2 or 3 months.but if the coupe is available soon then i am gona wait. and for some reason i think 3 series coupes have always been better looking than the sedans. am i right or its just my imagination? please help
  • autodrivenautodriven Member Posts: 16
    I am pondering the idea of purchasing a new BMW 330i (I've never owned a BMW before). However, after reading many different forums, numerous people have stated their dislikes with the "run-flat" tires. I understand that they ride extremely rough.

Would I be able to purchase "regular" tires that are not a run-flat type of tire and replace the OEM equipment. I'd keep the same size but just make the tires non run-flat tire.

This could have an impact on whether I purchase the car or not. I believe BMW should have made these run-flats part of a "tire package option"; not as "standard" equipment. I may not want the "harsh" ride that comes with the run-flats. Also has anyone gotten any good deals off the MSRP? Thanx
    Thanks for the laughs. My wife really liked that one!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    3 coupe = April/May of 07. It hasn't even been introduced yet...

As for what's better looking, well that's in the eye of the beholder. Not a coupe guy. Think they're bland and oddly shaped.
    The run flats on the 330i e90 were far smoother than my 03 330i''s 18s. Night and day difference, actually.

Here's a wacky idea, go drive it for yourself. Only you will know if the ride is too harsh.
  • sajayreddysajayreddy Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

Did anyone order an idrive on the 2006 3 series and what is their opinion ? I heard some bad stories about it when it was introduced initially in the 7 series.

Is there a lot of difference between the ride quality between a 330i with a sport pkg vs one without a sport pkg.

Thanks for the answers.
  • amiramir Member Posts: 115
    does anyone know if the new 3 coupe will be preety much the same as sedan. like tail lights front lights and other major body lines.
  • reefbreakreefbreak Member Posts: 10
    Unfortunately, i cannot get the sport package on this car (i need the extra 1/2" of ground clearance).

But, the style 162 wheels are fantastic. Has anyone tried to order the 162's without the sport package? It does not show as an option, but they will obviously fit, since the 196's are the same size.

Thanks.
  • hawkeye3hawkeye3 Member Posts: 9
    About to by my first Bimmer and I am considering a 05 300ci manual w. performance package and a 06 330i manual with S/P. Looks like the 06 performs much better and has a significantly lower MSRP.

Setting aside any subjective feelings about the look of the two cars or owning a coupe vs. a sedan, is there any reason to get the 2005 rather than the 2006? Am I missing something?

Any ideas about the relative discount or any upcoming incentives I should expect when comparing the two cars?

Finally, for many vehicles buying a sedan with a manual will have a very negative impact on the re-sale value. Is that historically the case with BMWs?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Finally, for many vehicles buying a sedan with a manual will have a very negative impact on the re-sale value. Is that historically the case with BMWs?

Who are you buying the car for? If you're buying for yourself and you enjoy a manual, why worry about the next buyer?

BTW, dealers will tell you autos resale for more and have more takers. It's true. You also pay more uprfront for an automatic. Also, there still are manual lovers out there. I always find a home for my manuals...and rather quickly.

If you're talking about trade-ins, I'm no help. I don't trade in. I'm not going to give away thousands on a car.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Would I be able to purchase "regular" tires that are not a run-flat type of tire and replace the OEM equipment. I'd keep the same size but just make the tires non run-flat tire.

I think, never look in the trunk of a new 3 so not sure, that vehicles equipped with run-flats do not have a spare…or a location for a spare.

So if you switch to a conventional tire, you won’t have a location to carry a spare (which I think is required).
This discussion has been closed.