Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Does anyone know if the new 325xi will be equipped with the new x-drive systems of the x5s and x3s.
  • motowneermotowneer Member Posts: 25
    YES.
  • coloradovrscoloradovrs Member Posts: 7
    OK, where are the 3-series factories? Do they all produce sedans/coupes/convertibles together? Or are they specialized to a type of model. Does the US market get their cars from multiple factories (due to special safety equipment vs. Europe)?

Thanks for any assistance on this.

Bruce
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    bmws are built in germany and south africa, both sold in US market, as far as i know some 325s (sedans and coupes) are built in south africa.
    theres also an assembly plant in Thailand, but i think its only for Southeast asian market.

if im not mistaken any bmws with VIN numbers starting with W are german built, so you might wanna check it out before buying, since im pretty sure theres different quality between s.african and german built bmws
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    There is. The South African plant if I recall correctly earned a gold JD Powers award.
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    Can someone give me an idea of what wouldbe consider a good deal on a 2005 325xi?

Only options are paint, automatic, and heated seated.

List is 33,995.

thanks
  • coloradovrscoloradovrs Member Posts: 7
    South Africa, Germany, possibly Thailand? Anyone have a non-german made BMW 3-Series in the US?

This multi-factory thing is surprising -- I think VW does a good job of hiding Pueblo Mexico as the main assembly factory for most everything, and touts them as "German-engineered," except the higher model Passats.

I'm guessing BMW wouldn't want the US market to think there are non-German assembled car here.

(Yeah, I know about the Z4 and X5, but those are pushed as US assembled and that a reason I don't have a high regards for them like MB M-series, I'm thinking the latest models are better than the first year though...).

Sounds like the South Africa facility is respected, but the whole point is to get a REAL german car, eh...

So, anyone have a non-german 3-series? Can't wait for those 2006 models : )

Regards,
    Bruce
  • psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    peakpro,
    You may find it helpful to check the pricing forum rather than this forum which is designed for discussions of the new e90.
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    I had a 2001 325ia which was built in South Africa. It was the best built vehicle I have owned. The plant in South Africa is known as one of the finest automobile assembly plants in the world. Remember the engine and trans are shipped in from Germany and all the pieces are assembled there. You are still getting the same German engineering, style and powerplant as anyone else. In fact I believe I read and article stating that the reported number of defects per car was lower in the South Africa plant than in any of the other German plants building the E46.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'm guessing BMW wouldn't want the US market to think there are non-German assembled car here.

It's no secret we get South African bimmers.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I also have a 325i from SA.. an '03 model... Virtually no problems at 20K miles..

I'm not sure, but I think they only make 325i sedans at the South Africa plant...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    Psyan1,

thanks...i was cruising so many forums i placed the question in the wrong one.

regards
  • ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    E46 coupes/convertibles are built in Regensburg, about an hour NE of Munich. The Munich factory builds sedans (and maybe wagons too).

During my ED trip last June, I was booked to do the Munich factory tour, but missed it.

The BMW Group website (not BMW NA website) has the factory information.
    BMW is getting ready to open a brand new assembly plant in what is now the former East Germany. It will asemble the new 3-series. The other plants have been designated to build the 1-series. It kind of makes me nervous about buying a brand new re-design built in a brand new plant. Sort of a double jeopardy whammy.
  • novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    I've seen references in this discussion at times to the E46 or the E90, etc. What do they mean? Being fairly new to the BMW world I need a little education. Thanks.
    e46 is the model designation for the 3 series within BMW (and among gear heads).

e90 refers to the next generation 3 series coming in 05 as an 06.

The generation before the e46 is also known as the e36. Before that is the e30.
    Does anybody have any spy shots of the new e90 touring?
    http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3460

OK in response to my own question here is a photo of the e90 touring. Appears this board is on snooze mode or that members view BMW touring vehicles with as much interest as Pinto hatchbacks.

I know I am being quite solo in saying this but I think the E90 touring looks amazing. Cant wait!!
    You realize that is a photoshopped image, right? I hope it looks that good, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oh well, hopefully the person responsible for this image has ESP.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    You guys think that the 06'330i quoted 0-60 in 6.3 sec is for manual or Steptronic?
  • wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    To see the official BMW 3 Series informational video just click on the following site. As rumored, the 2006 3 Series will be available in March, not next fall as some people previously assumed. Enjoy!

http://www.bmw.com/3seriessedan/
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    I second that. It appears that the E90 will be available around the March timeframe.
    "As rumored, the 2006 3 Series will be available in March"

True, it is likely to be available in March just as in March 1998, when BMW introduced the then new 3series. That is fortunate if your are European. In N. America we usually receive the 3 series 6 months after the European Intro date.
    Dont set yourself up for disappointment---expect it during Fall 05.

At least we fellow BMW driving N. Americans do not have to wait as long as VW customers. Can you believe the new Golf was introduced in Fall 03 and will not be seen on our side of the Ocean until 06. VW is one screwed up company managed by a bunch of inept executives, who are still scratching their heads wondering why VW is not successful in our continent.
    My dealership in the Boston area is already taking deposits for the 2006 3 Series which they say will be here by Spring, so I am going by the March date on the BMW site as well. According the dealership (whatever that is worth) the last of the 2005s will be built in December of this year so the Spring date makes a little more sense.
    WSTEVEC

That is a great video, thanks for the find and passing it along.

I personally thought the car looked just okay in the early unofficial released brochure but this video really shows the car and how nice it really is. I am very surprised!

One thing tho, with a 0-100km in 6.3 does that put 0-60 around 6.1 for manual and Steptronic around 6.6 then? And it didn't mention the option for SMG either.

Any thoughts?
  • planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    That brings up a good question-will both the 325 & 330 have SMG.

By the way, here is another link:
    http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futurevehicles/new3

Be sure to read the "press release." I found it very interesting.
    Production for U.S. cars begins in December. It will absolutely be in showrooms in March. Mark it down, slam the hammer!.. I have my deposit in now for my 330i.
    MOTOWNEER

How much did you have to put down for a deposit? Did they give you any idea of pricing relative to the 2005 330i?
    $500.00. No word on pricing.
    Press release for this site shows Summer 05' for release.

It seems they are intending to release in summer but there are conflicting advertisements for March. Maybe Europe will get it in March and we are destined for the summer.
    How are they guarantying you a March delivery schedule? Kind of odd that all BMW material is stating Summer for release, I don't doubt they will get people to put down a deposit but there is a big difference between March and August.

When did they mention an order guide would be available?
    is for BMW AG... The March availability is for Europe.. Figure at least eight weeks later for the U.S., just for shipping.. and that is assuming we get it "at the same time".

Spring '05... March 21st to June 21st.. I wouldn't expect it before late May or June.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Great scott that's a bland car. Sigh...BMW may have lost me.
    "My dealership in the Boston area is already taking deposits for the 2006 3 Series which they say will be here by Spring"

Your dealership knows more than I do. But I do know some sales reps do on occasion provide mistaken info. This is definitely unprecedented---usually European intros of BMWs are months before intros in N. America.
  • psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    blueguy:
    I guess we all have our own perceptions. I certainly do not see this new 3 as bland. Besides, There is much more to the car than the looks I am certain. I know many 3 lovers may have trouble with the change, but what is expected. It is time for the change.
    Regards
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I find myself liking the design. There are individual elements of it i'm not sure i like, but overall i think it's very attractive. I never really warmed to the e46, but i still like my e36 very much.

I think the kidney grill is a bit too "pontiac", and think the hood eyebrows above it are a bit silly. However, i really like the hood bulge ( lifted up from the quarter panels ) that travels down the grill to the bottom of the air dam. Not overpowering, but it definitely guides the eye. Like the strong crease along the side and the subtly uplifted trunk--vaguely reminiscent of the new a4, but boxier ( good ).

The new engine sounds fantastic, really a fantastic design.

I like the looks of the idrive-free interioe but i wish they'd leave the window switches in the middle, where they ought to be. I am dissapointed that the interior is becoming less "driver focused" over time though.

dave
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    isnt bland at all for sure, i dont hate it as i used to but i certainly dont like it that much either. funny thing is the car is much better looking now than the previous pictures i saw, i moved on from hating it to accepting it :)
    true it has agressive character in it, but i still hate the taillights, they just dont match with the cars profile.
    what i still really dont like is the interior, looks darn cheap and the design is plain awkward, looks even worse than previous pics showed
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Not bland at all. I thought the old ones were bland. (ducks)

I like that it doesn't look as tall and round-boxy as the last one. It's sleeker, like the early-mid 90s 3-series was - the only BMW I've ever really found attractive.

This one's gonna be expensive though, huh. And barely a "compact".
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2041026.001/bmw/1.ht- ml

Actually it doesn't look good from a 3/4 front view. Not at all. It's either the transition between the shoulderline and the windows, or the roofline that's bothering me.
  • cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    I am wondering if it is just a personal problem, but I can't get over the new interior. It is ugly. The mixture of curved and square features really ruins it. Is it just me?
  • superphilsuperphil Member Posts: 6
    If i wanted to purchase a 05 330ci in about a year, will they sell it to me or will there be only 06's???
    Thanks in advance!
    Most likely (depending on who you believe) the last of the 2005s will be built before the end of this year. I don't think BMW wants to have an overstock of 2005s which they could have to discount big time like VW is doing with the Passats as they are discounting those more than $5000, as many are waiting for the redisigned (and improved) 2006s become available. If you want the 2005 you might have to buy it by late Spring, but you might save some big bucks since the 2006s may be there too. Good Luck!
    As long as I can buy a 2006 sometime around the start of the summer I will be happy since I want to trade in my A4 before the free service and warranty ends (especially since the dealership bills at $90 per hour!) Thanks for you input.
    I hope the Touring 325xi will be introduced shortly after the e90 sedans. Crossing my fingers that I will drive the new Touring 325xi before the winter of 06(I love my 99 323i sedan, but my commute becomes quite unpredictable during Canadian winters)
  • andyandy Member Posts: 21
    In all these pictures, all i see is an interior that has the I Drive. I thought the I Drive was only going to be on cars optioned w/ navigation and all others would get the basic radio controls without that 2nd middle binnacle.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    I was thinking of getting 325 next summer.
    '05 3-er is probably the last chance to get a decent looking BMW, so I am worried if the current model will be sold till next september.
    Change is fine. Just don't make it look like a Ford 500.

I don't buy based on looks. i've owned many cars I find plain ugly in appearance - my Protege for one. But the last 3 was about as close to perfect as a car could get. To go from nigh perfection to cheap, bland assembly line is quite a drop.

Imagine dating Salma Hayek and then going to Katie Couric. Katie's not bad, she's just bland.
    OK it does look bland, despite this I intend to buy one anyway(325xi touring--you dont expect spice from wagons).

The Ford 500 is one beautiful car and not bland at all. The beauty of this Ford is that it is unpretentious ( does not pretend to be a sports car). Sporty styling for cars that are underpowered seems to be quite a common sight on the roads today.

Oh and by the way I would pick Katie any day.
This discussion has been closed.