Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Here's another flash for you: the new coupe will have plastic front fenders -- just like my kid's Saturn! ;)
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"The gearbox uses a dedicated electronic control unit that permanently monitors the position of the gas pedal"

Actually, that kind of pushes me more towards a manual (which doesn't require much of a push, to be honest). I'm a programmer, so I know how much can really go wrong with code. ;)

I'd rather have my feets, brain, butt and gut making the choices... but that's just me.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Take a look at audi's DSG. That's the only tranny other than a straight manual I will consider.

BTW, how does this tranny help with downshifting before turns? I'm often heel-toeing (actually in the current e46/e90 it's more rolling my foot on the brake and throttle at the same time with my foot perpendicular) before corners - makes the exit heaven.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Is the Audi's DSG the same unit as that in the new GTi? If so it's very impressive: much, much faster and more accurate than I could ever hope to be with the traditional manual. However, it gives a slightly video game quality to the driving experience. At the end of the drive I felt less satisfied than with the traditional transmission, and I think that, day to day, the transmission would end up in auto mode much of the time.
  • owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    Is it really plastic? Or is it composite My Camaro has Composite and it works fine. BTW the the SR-70 and some of our other recon aircraft are Composite and scream through the Atmosphier and take a beating.

owner6 ExUSAF
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    The big problem with Saturn was that the plastic body panels expanded and contracted due to temperature more than metal, and the body gaps were quite wide as a result. I wonder how BMW avoided this problem.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "BTW the the SR-70 and some of our other recon aircraft are Composite and scream through the Atmosphier and take a beating."

Assuming that you are referring to the SR-71 "Blackbird" and not some old TI Calculator, then I'm a little puzzled. According to all of the information that I have, the airframe and skins of the A-12, YF-12A and SR-71 series of aircraft was constructed out of a Titanium Alloy (Beta-120/Ti-13V-11Cr-3A1). I have seen a few references over the years referring to "High temperature plastics", however, it is my understanding that said plastics (composites in your lexicon?) were used for non-structural internal components.

In your post were you alluding to "composites" being used for either the airframe or skin? If so, could you please point to any references that support that? If this is indeed true, I may just have to re-write a few things that I've written on the subject.

Best Regards,
    Shipo (ExUSMC)
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Does anyone know if there is a simple way to decrease the sensor sensitivity that turns on the automatic headlights on no-Idrive cars? Not that this is a really big problem, but my 325i turns the the headlights at almost any shade, even during the brightest Florida days, which is not cool... Please, let me know. Thanks.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    IIRC, the skin on the SR-71 had a few issues with expansion and contraction too. Leaked like a sieve on the ground and had to get up to speed and generate heat off the skin for it to expand and close the gaps.

I sure would hope you wouldn't have to do that on a BMW. :)

-Paul
    "IIRC, the skin on the SR-71 had a few issues with expansion and contraction too. Leaked like a sieve on the ground and had to get up to speed and generate heat off the skin for it to expand and close the gaps."

I don't know that I would call designed in gaps specifically to deal with the expansion "issues" per-se. Kelly needed to design a plane that could tool along at Mach 3 all day long, and it did. The fact that it leaked so much that it needed to be fully refueled shortly after leaving the ground was a small price to pay for that amazing level of performance. ;-)

As a side note, I remember watching a video of a Russian pilot talking about the USSR's efforts at forcing a Blackbird down. Apparently the Mig 23 (IIRC) was purpose built for the task, and could actually achieve a similar top speed. That having been said, he also noted that after every flight in the Mig that achieved Mach 3, even for a short duration, the plane required a complete ground-up rebuild.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Yours seem more sensitive than mine. The only daylight effect I would get is if I pull into my garage.. ..

DL
    Mine will come on and stay on if you drive through a few shadows on an otherwise bright day, but if it's overcast and pouring rain, with the sun nowhere to be seen, I have to turn them on manually.
  • blingnbags23blingnbags23 Member Posts: 9
    First off, I appreciate all the great and useful information you provide and discuss in this forum. With that said, I have a question. I have an automatic '06 330i with 12,000 miles and I was wondering about the transmission. I notice that the first two gear shifts come really quickly after one another from zero/rest and that those shifts sometimes feel a little "harder" than I would expect they should be on a car of this caliber. It seems like if I accelerate fairly quickly from zero/stop, it shifts really smoothly, but if I'm just sort of putting along from stop those first two shift are a bit stiff. I do have the sport suspension and most every available option, so i'm wondering if the relatively rougher ride is because of this. I had always noticed the first two shifts happen really quickly and maybe this is just how it is. This is my first bmw so I really have nothing to compare it to. Anybody else feel like this or had this experience? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Jaron
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Amen to that. And now I'll convince Shipo that it's a manual. :P How ? at a stop light I let off the brake and began to roll backwards... :surprise:

DL
    ;-)
    I've heard that the auto in the upcoming 335 coupe will have a lot of new technical features. It might even be a 7-speed, but I'm not sure. The main thing is that it shifts very quickly (<100ms) and can detect not only the throttle position, but how hard and fast you're pressing it down. In one example, they said if you're cruising along at 50mph in top gear (which is very economical) and really mash the throttle fast, it will immediately shift right into 2nd gear! A less quick throttle movement will downshift you, but not to as low of a gear.

Overall, they seem to be narrowing the performance gap between SMG and torque-converter automatics.
    Call me an old stick in the mud. Call me a throw-back. Call me a moose's hind quarters. I don't care, I want to stir my own and use a clutch doing it. As such, Automatic transmissions of any kind (Slush Boxes, DSGs, SMGs and even hyper fast hydraulic boxes) need not apply. ;-)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, until the automotive transmission is neurally wired into my brain so that it can know what I'm about to do and shift accordingly, then I won't even consider an Automatic. Even then I probably won't want one simply because it won't be as fun. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    I couldn't agree more!!!

I'm actually selling my 525i (AUTO) becuase it isn't a manual. I should have never listened to my husband. Not when it comes to cars.

So, I went back to a 330ci with the performance package...6-spd MANUAL ALL THE WAY!!!

Stacy
    Hey Stacy, long time since we've heard from you. Where are you hailing from these days? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    So nice to here from a female that understands the nirvana that is 3 pedals :blush:
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    Oh, I've never left. I just "read"...

Still in Texas. Now on 4th BMW.

Had the 330i, went to a 325ci, then the 525I (still have, but hopefully it will find a loving home), and now a 330ci.

NEVER NEVER an AUTOMATIC...NEVER!!!

Stacy
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    Just wondering, is there anyone here that knows how to drive manual, but prefers automatic or SMG?? If so, please explain why.

Is it truly a unanimous consensus that manual is more fun to drive? Or are we simply hearing from those who speak the loudest for whatever reason.

Joseph
    in San Diego
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    are fun to drive except in the heaviest of LA traffic. :)

My wife's car is an auto, but does have a sport mode and a manual mode, but it isn't the same. When I want to row my own, I have a car for that. :)

-Paul
    This topic has probably been beat to death, but eventually we might only be able to defend driving manuals strictly because it's a "personal preference" or because we're stubborn, and won't be able to justify it on the basis of better economy, better performance, or other rationalizations. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the other transmission technologies are almost sure to catch up some day.

Take the issue of number of gears. IMO, 6 speeds is the limit for a gated shift lever. I mean, how would you ever hit the right gear in a shift pattern for 7 or 8 speeds? But more gears can be a big benefit for combining performance and economy. I often wish there were one more gear for me to shift into on the highway in my 325i (yes, I only have a 5-spd, but you get my point). Shoot, my bicycle has 24 speeds to choose from. ;)
    I wouldn't mind a 7 or 8 speed manual. I feel like a need a taller 6th gear so a tall 7th would be fine. I want the car at 2k rpm at 80-85 mph.

Also, manuals are cheap to maintain. A rebuilt automatic tranny = $$$$$. A new clutch is less than a grand and that's at like 120-150k miles. A new or rebuilt auto is at 100-120k miles and I know some bimmer people who paid 4-5k on their e39s and e46s. I can only guess what a 6 speed automatic will cost?!
    This topic has probably been beat to death, but eventually we might only be able to defend driving manuals strictly because it's a "personal preference"...

I don't know that that is much of a problem, afterall, Automatics have sold extremely well for decades due to "personal preference". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Dude, just get an automatic. It seems like that's what your more comfortable with so to each his own. If you don't think your missing out on anything then your probably not. I think for most of us manual freeks we grew up with it, and raced on the street with it [not that that's a good thing to do] and we feel a connection with the car because of it. It's an extra step required in the function of the car that the car can't do on it's own [when equipped with the proper third pedal] Plus you can control the amount of rev's at all times.
    You will find a lot of people who can drive both but prefer an automatic. You will probably find less of the opposite. Don't let anyone tell you what you like to drive. Figure it out for yourself then suffer the consequences if you end up with the automatic :P
    A car with an automatic can still be fun to drive. Having a manual does not, by definition, make a car fun to drive. I learned to drive a stick on a GMC Sonoma with the 2.2-liter Cavalier engine in it, and I can assure you, that car was not fun to drive.

I think that, 90% of the time, I'd be just as content driving a car with an automatic. And there are definitely occasions when I hate driving a manual. But there are also times when the manual is much better. And, although the fuel economy may be too close to judge, a manual E90 is measurably faster. Buy and drive what you like!
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I'm one of those people who doesn't mind driving a stick in traffic. I just don't see why it's hard. In an automatic you're always working the brake in traffic. Is working a clutch any harder? I think driving a stick is fun(except perhaps in a truck with a 2.2L cav engine :) ) and the fact that it saves money, fuel, and adds to performance are just bonuses. I think i'd prefer an auto 1% of the time, such as when i'm parallel parking on a hill.

If i had to accept an auto, i guess i could, but i'd have to have a heck of a good reason, such as someone donating a 911 turbo tiptronic to me.
    I'm one of those people who doesn't mind driving a stick in traffic. I just don't see why it's hard. In an automatic you're always working the brake in traffic. Is working a clutch any harder?

Amen. I've always driven manuals and in traffic I actually become annoyed in automatic rentals (work trips for instance). I like having a clutch...even in stop n go.

I think i'd prefer an auto 1% of the time, such as when i'm parallel parking on a hill.

e90 solves that with the new clutch braking stuff. It's a little weird for the car not to roll on hills.

If i had to accept an auto, i guess i could, but i'd have to have a heck of a good reason, such as someone donating a 911 turbo tiptronic to me.

I'd feel like I was dating Jessica Alba wearing a chain mail suit in that instance. We saw a gorgeous 997 Cab in OB on Saturday. I got up close and surveyed the interior. Two things screamed at me at one time - an automatic and a tony robbins book. Egad!
  • rwollerrwoller Member Posts: 3
    I'm being told by my dealer that the upgrade for daylight running lights and key remote memory settings will not be available -- that there was no September update, nor is it likely that there will be one. He this true or is the dealer out of the loop.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Latest Autoweek has the new 3 coupe; article mentions a 328 version with 230hp/200lb torque. Does this mean that for 2007 the sedan versions will also be 328 (basically dropping the 325)? I am finalizing a 325i sedan; would hate to buy now and realize after a couple of months that I oculd have got a more powerful car for the same price. Does anyone have any info on the 2007s?
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    The similarity in our tastes continue. ;)

dave
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Does this mean that for 2007 the sedan versions will also be 328 (basically dropping the 325)? "

I have seen nothing official from BMW regarding the 3 Series Sedans for 2007. What they have said officially (talking about the new Coupe) is mostly here:

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futurevehicles/new3coupe

Speculation seems rampant. My ** GUESS ** is that (for several reasons) the Sedans will offer the same drivelines for MY 2007.

If this proves true, a 335 Sedan (ED next Spring) will be on my 'Short List'.
    - Ray
    Always looking for a "excuse" to visit Europe - and save a few $$s on a cool car . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Most are saying 328/335 sedans will occur at lastest in 2008. A guy on bimmerfest swears he has production dates in 06 for the 07 328/335 sedans.

Some coupe lovers insist the bmw will have 4 different drivetrains for the 3. Doesn't seem likely.
    If memory serves, DRL and auto locking doors should be available with a software update, car and key personalization will not.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    All depends on the car. On the Acura TL I recently got out of, I had to consciously think about shifting properly, even after 18 months' ownwership. The clutch was like an on-off switch, and it was hard to match revs to shift smoothly. The 325i is intuitive; within a few days shifting became more or less a fluid and unconscious process, except when the car is coming up to operating temperature. Again, with cars, numbers don't tell the whole story.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 328i sedan very soon, unless BMW wants to maintain a distinction between the sedan and the coupe. The normally aspirated engine can clearly be tuned for different outputs without much hassle. I read, though, that the 335i loses the magnesium/aluminum block and moves to straight aluminum. I wonder how the F/R weight distribution/handling balance, so sweet on the 325i, will be affected by the block and accessory change. The 328i may end up being the better car. All the above could benefit from losing two or three hundred pounds.
  • yankees338yankees338 Member Posts: 28
    Anyone have any info/pics regarding the next generation 3-series convertible? Will it be a soft or hard-top? Due to the increase in use of the hardtop among competition, it'd make sense to go with a hardtop, especially from a consumer point of view. ;)
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    Simply search around on google. I believe Autow**k and some of the other car mags are reposting Autobild pics of the Cabrio being tested which is a hardtop ala Merc SLK/SL cabrios, peugeots etc. Don't buy it for luggage space!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Autoweek? Why would you mask that?

In any case, if something is unacceptable, it's also unacceptable masked. :P

But there's no reason to be shy about mentioning Autoweek!
  • uscbabeuscbabe Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about purchasing the 325i sedan, but I don't know whether or not I should wait for the 2007 models. Will they be any different than the current 2006 model? I am really anxious to purchase and want to do so as quickly as possible, but don't want to miss out if the 2007 models are better.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    How much to get it installed by the dealer?
  • nivki89nivki89 Member Posts: 15
    In July at your local BMW Dealers
    Oh, i just didn't know if it violated any forum rules posting the name of another online automag. I wrote out "autobild" since it's german and i'm not sure how many other forum members here read it as well.

Oh and to the post above..unless you really want to spend the money on that factory aux linkcable. I've used the monstercable version (around $60 at your local consumer stereo market) and a little less on the ebay..It does work on the FM modulation tech but it really isn't a detriment unless you get a bleedover freq on the band. One of the advantages is that it's obviously not confined just to your bimmer if you want to take your music collection with you. Not that the HK system in the car is completely audiophile-grade fantastic but that's just my opine. IMHO the ipod sounds as good as a cd through the stock speakers and anyone who also feels the bmw headunits do sound a bit "flat" in the soundstage and imaging should take solace that using the ipod will sound the same albeit slightly better..the difference is you can tweak it with it's (ipod's) onboard DSP settings.
    the monster cable will not do a full interface in the e9x 3 series cars. And if you're talking about an FM modulator system, well those are just hardcore garbage. Especially considering e90s have an aux port built into the car...why would anyone use FM to listen to their mp3 player if they can get the higher audio quality of a direct connection?

BMW's upcoming solution will work with the MOST electronics bus interface allowing you to see playlists, song titles, and you will be able to use your wheel controls. additionally, the system will recharge your ipod and you should be able to set it to continue charging for a set amount of time after turning off the car.

Dension's next IceLink should also interface with the MOST electronics bus in the e90s. They hope to have their system out in the next few months. It will have the same feature set as BMW's system and it should be more portable to other bmws.

oh and an one more thing regarding ipod sound...get your songs at 256 kbps not 128. There's a massive difference in sound quality. Massive. Yes, that means you can't download from iTunes...I ripped all my CDs to 256.
    The monster cable solution is a simple suggestion to those not willing to spend the money for the bmw interface. It is true that you will not have full interface (steering wheel controls etc. just put the thing on shuffle or prearrange your tunes in folders before you set out.) It also re-charges the unit while driving in addition to the sound quality (as i stated in the disclaimer that even though not audiophile quality, the sound quality is as good as the stock premium oem system) being on par with the "garbage" HK setup (my opinion but any car stereo guy will tell you the same thing) used in BMW's since the E46. (not the bekker, blaupunkt units). I'm sure that the majority of the public who are forced into opting for the factory "premium" stereo. (i.e. not an aftermarket head, amps, speakers etc.) will not be able to discern the difference in sound when using the monster cable or unless you replace the entire system with a custom setup.

It is your opinion that the FM modulation doesn't work well and granted depending on how many radio stations are prevalent in your area, it may not be an elegant solution due to interference from mobile phones or the chatter of the umpteen signals competing for freq's on the radio dial (if you're in a congested area). I recall when i first started making the rounds in the IASCA comp circuit, fm modulation was considered a joke but that was about 18 yrs ago. It is however, cost effective and more mobile than the BMW interface.

Regarding the Aux port. on the E90's, i've had the worst luck with those. The system is similar (or most likely the same as the navteq based dvd units are also used by BMW AG and Ford PAG ) to those on the Land Rover Disco 3 with the HK logic 7 system and the sound wasn't even on par with using the monster cable. While i am NOT an audio tech for these companies, i do own vehicles from the respective marques and can substantiate my observation.

I still stand by the recommendation to try the monster. Especially if cost or mobility are concerns.

You are right regarding iPod sound at 256 but it's logical statement. I was never a fan of any type of lossy compression and encoding (something about those missing freq's) and even iPod's usage of AAC (i believe it's AAC) for lossless. Some details get lost in the translation. Read up for yourself and let your own ears make the decision for you.

http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/aac-mp3-vq.html

Essentially, don't dismiss it until you try it. I initially did but was surprised at the results..I'm sure other's would agree that it's subjective.
    it is your opinion that the FM modulation doesn't work well and granted depending on how many radio stations are prevalent in your area, it may not be an elegant solution due to interference from mobile phones or the chatter of the umpteen signals competing for freq's on the radio dial (if you're in a congested area).

FM is lousy. There's massive difference listening over the aux input and FM. Massive. It's not even slight or difficult to discern. It's like the difference between a cassette's hiss and a CD's quiet.

I recall when i first started making the rounds in the IASCA comp circuit, fm modulation was considered a joke but that was about 18 yrs ago. It is however, cost effective and more mobile than the BMW interface.

Cost effective, yes. A joke still? Yes. FM was cruddy 18 years ago and it's not become any better. It's still OTA analog.

Regarding the Aux port. on the E90's, i've had the worst luck with those. The system is similar (or most likely the same as the navteq based dvd units are also used by BMW AG and Ford PAG ) to those on the Land Rover Disco 3 with the HK logic 7 system and the sound wasn't even on par with using the monster cable. While i am NOT an audio tech for these companies, i do own vehicles from the respective marques and can substantiate my observation.

Mindblowing that any person would push for analog ota on FM over an actual stereo input.

I still stand by the recommendation to try the monster. Especially if cost or mobility are concerns.

I stand by my assertion - never, ever, under any circumstances, not even after midnight listen to anything audio via AM or FM OTA.
    FM is lousy. There's massive difference listening over the aux input and FM. Massive. It's not even slight or difficult to discern. It's like the difference between a cassette's hiss and a CD's quiet

I completely disagree as to the degree of difference you describe in regards to the aux specifically on the in car system. I never stated the sound from the fm modulation was cd quiet but compared it to the output quality of a cd through the stock HK system which is acceptable at best. I believe if you're listening to ripped, burned, compressed music on some sort of device (any mp3, iPod iRiver, archos etc), then convenience was the most influential factor behind your decision rather than bringing along huge booklets of cd's into your BMW (but if audio quality really is your priority...)

Mindblowing that any person would push for analog ota on FM over an actual stereo input.

sigh, analog vs. digital, tubes vs. transistors, LP's vs. CD's. even vs odd order harmonics..which distortion is more euphonious etc. We'll just have to agree to disagree as to the benefits (or as in your perspective, detriment) of the fm modulator vs the factory iPod link factoring cost, convenience, sound quality. Different people will purchase what they want according to their priority.

What's mindblowing for me is that carmakers are able to charge for a "premium" audio system. These days, you don't even really have a choice as it's integrated into a special "package"

(sport, premium, ZHP, M, lighting etc)

I stand by my assertion - never, ever, under any circumstances, not even after midnight listen to anything audio via AM or FM OTA.

By that rationale, the stereo receiver shouldn't even be part of the car.

Whether the signal is modulated or matrixed, i seem to recall that up until now, especially if you've listening to radio, there was "stereo" or come degree of channel separation. Folks, try it out and make your own informed decision. That's why there's more than two flavours of ice cream. I've had a good experience with the monstercable connect image and http://www.blueguy.com prefers the more expensive connection route.

Regarding the iPod, the simplicity and elegance of it's design with the selector wheel is why imo the little device has so many fans. (coolness factor) Unless that can be accurately mimicked (even with iDrive integration) It's still a little clumsy to use the wheel controls even though it may seem intuitive, that's still too much time concentrating on page menus/folders/selection and not driving which is a big concern (and why you bought the bmw in the first place).

btw..the best stereo is actually linear, in the form of six cylinders (soon to be accompanied by twin turbochargers) and located approximately 3 feet in front of your seating position

Oh and to throw a final wrench into the works..the iCruze (also by monster) integrates with the M-bus. (a little more expensive, uses dock connection, charges, connects through your changer aux and you can use your wheel controls and includes a little lcd screen to display your tags)
    iCruze does not work with the e90 (06+ 3 series):

http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2867

The iCruze is for M-bus systems. The e90 uses the MOST interface. The MOST system is the reason Dension and BMW have gone back to the drawing board for ipod integration.

FWIW, I would not be bothered if they removed the AM/FM receiver from future cars. I do not ever use my stereo for OTA music. In my e46 I plug my iPod into the aux input, set the playlist (couple hundred songs) and then use my griffin airclick with rf remote (works with ipod in glove box) to pause/play/skip forward/backward. Easy solution.

In my e90 while driving through Europe I used the built-in aux, airclick and ipod on a playlist. Easy enough solution until the dension version comes out. For now the play/pause/skip is all I need once I set a playlist.

Have a great weekend!
  • timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    I am having problems with synchronizing the universal remote in the E90 with my garage remote (Genie). Anyone have any advice? (I've followed the directions in the manual but to no benefit).
This discussion has been closed.