Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    Hats off to nkeen for a perceptive analysis of the 3 (post #6469). Does anybody from BMW read these posts? How can we convince them that simple is always better? That need not mean cheap, just straightforward design, using quality materials and assembly. That's how BMW mde its reputation; shame for that reputation to be lost through superficial indulgence in electronic gadgetry. Leave that for GM, et. al.

Bryncerdd
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Kinda goes without saying. A spin in the e90 proves they're more into making luxurious cruisers with gizmos than performance sedans.

Which is why my next BMW will likely be an E46.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I'd probably try to sell it after it's fixed. But, any dealer worth his salt is going to notice that the car had major repairs done to it. No way around that. They may really "ding" you on trade value.

A good repair shop should get it to "pre-accident" condition, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    Blue, by now we know of your preference of your former e46 zhp versus e90, performance wise. Now, what were your impressions of your former e46zhp vs e46m3? Would you say the m3 is the zenith as far as performance goes, a notch above the zhp? Would you agree these 2 are the last warriors of this new self annointed "company of ideas"?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I never got into the E46 M3 - I find the BMW coupes (or really any coupes) aren't my thing. Sorry. Can't pass judgment fairly as I am miserable in an e46 M3. My coworkers love their M3s; to each his own.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    re "Kinda goes without saying. A spin in the e90 proves they're more into making luxurious cruisers with gizmos than performance sedans."

I'm glad mine has a sparse options list for that reason. In the UK the base 325i (the SE) appears to be optioned similarly to the SP optioned car in the US. There is also a harder edged M-Sport version over there. The 330d is also available with M-sport. The base US config 325i seems to be roughly equivalent to the setup of the 320i in the UK.

In my local PA dealership, many of the shoppers were not what I'd call car people -- just after the perceived status of a BMW I think. That's probably where most of the company's massive increase in sales over the years has come from.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    My BMW experienced starte in Dec. '05 with the 330xi moving from exclusively US brands. I can not say if the performance experience has suffered at the expense of the techno limelight but the entire package outshines anything I have driven before. I have always admired BMW and needed 4X this time. I have tired of the Home Team failures.

My problem with all of this technology is like we experienced when sensors first found their way into engine bays to change performance dynamics to meet climate laws. Now we need geeks to figure out what the heck is happening with all of the new systems and they are training even after the technology is installed.
  • bbydadbbydad Member Posts: 58
    sorry guys - i am a newbie to BMW (and this forum) -- can someone explain to me what the nomenclature eXX refers to? I've seen people use this BMW and try as I may, I cannot seem to decipher -
    tx
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    The xx in Exx is the car model number. The 3-series from 98-05 was the e46. Now it's a new chassis, etc, so the 2006+ is the e90.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    I guess $15k is nowhere near the totaled value of the car?

So insurance company won't consider the car totaled?
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I will not sell to the dealers as they are hard to deal with. I was thinking about selling the car to private party. However, with Carfax, they will still know the major repair ;) At least you have a better chance of selling the car.
    proe.....Carfax will show the accident. I suppose if you don't want to disclose that the car was in a major accident AND the buyer doesn't pull a Carfax. you may get away with asking big dollars. But, if any of the above isn't true, you're going to have to reduce your expectations of what it will sell for compared to one that hasn't been in an accident.

What would keep you from getting it fixed, seeing how good the repair job is, and then driving the wheels off it....in which case, resale won't matter as much?

A dealer will spot a repait of that magnitude from a mile away, anyway....no matter how good the repair job is.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Another option would be to get a check from the insurance company--make sure all of the damage is identified--and sell the wreck as-is at a salvage auction.
    As I said before, overall I love the car. Just think some in the showroom are overstuffed, and the options are expensive. Controls could be simplified. I feel that my 325i with manual and ZSP and minimal non-performance options is fairly close to the vision. But it's my baby, so I'm biased. Order your own is the best answer.
    Yes, automobile mag owner of one of the world's most idiotic stats - the top gear acceleration test:

Have a look at the top-gear acceleration figures. In sixth gear, the M3 needs 14.7 seconds to get from 30 to 70 mph – but the 335i does it in only 12.5.

What kind of raging knuckledragger tries to accelerate from 30 mph with a 6 speed manual in 6th gear? Well, beyond the 'tards at Automobile that is? That's a drop to third, second if you really want to get on your horse.
    I think they're not implying that you necessarily want to accelerate from 30 in top gear. I think the point of the test is what kind of acceleration you can get without dropping a bunch of gears. For example, if i want to squirt past someone on some side road at about 40 mph, can i just put my foot down, or do i need to drop to second and wake people up?

I like revving the engine as much as the next guy, but it's even better if i don't have to--if i can make that choice.
    For example, if i want to squirt past someone on some side road at about 40 mph, can i just put my foot down, or do i need to drop to second and wake people up?

I like revving the engine as much as the next guy, but it's even better if i don't have to--if i can make that choice.

If i'm going 40 mph i'm already in 3rd - perhaps 2nd if I know I want to blast past someone. It's that simple. Traffic slows, I change gears. I bought a manual so i can always control the engine, not drive around with the engine lugging. The top gear 30 to 70 test is worthless for exactly that reason. Any M3 or 335 owner lugging their engine in top gear at 30 deserves a sound beating. That's like wearing lead boots when you swim and then complaining you're not very bouyant.
    Shrug. As i said, i like revving the engine, but sometimes i want to be a little more relaxed in my approach, and pass at 4,000 RPM versus 6,000. If someone wants to give me a sound beating one day because of that, i'll just have to deal with it.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    OK – I admit to fitting your description: Some kind of a “raging knuckledragger” . . .

I have ( more than once ) driven my current sedan from below 30 to over 80 in top gear. I have also driven from below 30 to over 80 in second gear.
    Each has a place in my driving.

There are times when I want the experience ( sound & acceleration ) associated with a run toward the redline. Fun. Rarely necessary. And certainly not my only choice.

And there are times when I willing allow torque to pull me along at ( relatively ) lower rpm.

If you only drive your car one way under any and all road & traffic conditions – well, enjoy.

- Ray
    Happy with choices & options. . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    ..to measure engine flexibility.. (gearing, torque, etc.)

CR and C&D have both been doing the test for years..

It makes for a good comparison, assuming both cars have a manual transmission.. Essentially useless if one of them is an automatic..

Nothing about the test says you should actually drive that way..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I just think it's a bogus test. I know many mags do it...I always laugh at how worthless their numbers are. Ditto the top gear passing from 50-70. They act like a car should be able to pull from 6th. Imho, only poorly geared cars like a Mazdaspeed6 move quickly in top gear (6th). Too many manufacturers gear 6th wrong. It's a cruising gear - thus at 100 you shouldn't be pulling over 4000 rpm. Likewise 6th gear and 30 mph should mean the engine is sputtering - barelt running.

Again, it probably is related to my driving style but 6th is used exclusively for 70 and above and even then if I need to pass it's a drop to 4th. If it's a need to pass quickly then it's a dip to 3rd.

:)
    Not sure I agree, Blueguy. Top gear acceleration is a good indication of torquiness and flexibility. Haven't driven one, but I'd bet the 330d pulls pretty strongly in 6th from 50 to 70. 369 lb-ft at 1750 rpm doesn't hurt. For European driving conditions (manual trans on UK 2 lane "A" or French RD roads, 50 to 70 cruise with frequent tight and off-camber corners) this matters. Also, figure in a 155 top end and 40 mpg at $7 to $8 /gallon That's why the motoring press over there, e.g., Car magazine, raves about the diesels.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Yes! Bring us the diesels.

Apparently it's necessary to first get rid of California (&/or the legislature). Many of the OEM's aren't willing to bring anything to the U.S. unless they can sell it in all 50 (sadly, including CA) states.

Oh boy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Having driven through italy, germany, switzerland, france and austria this year in my 330i...I still contend top gear passing means nothing. There's no reason not to shift. Even at 100 I'd still slip down to 4th when I wanted more go.
    But the day to day reality of driving in Europe is not 8/10 or 9/10, but in the UK at least, frequently 4/10, and in heavy traffic. In that country the government plans to gradually implement 40 and 50 mph rural limits in place of the 60 mph national speed limit on undivided roads, with the support, evidently, of the majority of the population. Speed cameras are sprouting up all over the place -- I've read of people getting two tickets from the same camera in one day. Three, and that's their license gone. In the South of France on the A8 Provencale in May, I was passing many more cars than not at 140 kph, and saw what looked suspiciously like a speed camera adjacent to the right lane when coming off the Esterel into the Cannes area. Relative to people's income the fines are heavy, and licenses are lost after three offenses. This, unfortunately, is the reality in many countries, and I think, in Germany, the 130 kph limit is being more widely introduced. I asked a German colleague how he found driving back home -- he said that there were very few de-restricted stretches of autobahn left around Hamburg. The ability to drive fast and flexibly, at 50 to 80 mph, on roads where conditions vary is key
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I agree with BG on this. Having driven a stick for 12 years (split between the 405 and 495) accelerating like a jack rabbit to make a quick manuever I always downshifted. Top gear is a cruising gear, which hopefully causes the engine rpms to drop at high speed while conserving fuel. I never attemped a passing maneveur in top gear unless it was a s-l-o-w passing manuever.

The tests the mags do to test the 40-60 at top gear are bogus. The journalists doing the testing would never pass a car the way they are testing.
  • ctmaxctmax Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 325XI in March 2006 and just noticed that the horn only works when the ignition is in the "on" position. Is this a common trait? I find it rather peculiar.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    "Apparently it's necessary to first get rid of California" We can get rid of them but unfortunatly they are buying up half of TX,OK and TN...... :sick:
  • sitsit Member Posts: 16
    You crack me up! You are absolutely right. If people have to cruise or acelerate from 30-70 mph and they are not willing to downshift "on a sport sedan" they should go with automatic transmission like I did.
    SIT
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some recent posts have been moved to a new discussion, BMW 3-Series: Tires and Wheels. Come join in!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Okay, I've drunk the "don't be a Luddite" kool-aid & signed up to follow the BMW 3 "group," all 39 "discussions" of it. Oh boy. Not all bad -- there's stuff I didn't know about that I won't mind following, & I guess I can just pitch the rest as they update.

Anyway, is it appropriate to ask why there are now two tire discussions -- the new one and the run-flat one that has been around for quite some time?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I figured why not? They are different subjects and there were a lot of posts here that deserved their own topic.
  • brianm4brianm4 Member Posts: 33
    Just a note regarding Carfax.
    I just sold my car, which was in an accident with about $7,000 in damage a year prior to selling. I purchased the carfax report to see what potential buyers would view, and the accident was not listed. I, of course, told buyers (when asked) about the accident.
  • owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    Your new tire and wheel subject contains RFT tire problems. I feel you made an error in splitting them or didn't parse them correctly.
    There is not a perfect way to accomplish what we're trying to do. Sorry.
    re: You are absolutely right. If people have to cruise or acelerate from 30-70 mph and they are not willing to downshift "on a sport sedan" they should go with automatic transmission like I did.

I expect that the one thing you'd be struck by when first driving the 335i is the real world performance derived from all that low end grunt. There's a place for that in any car, manual or auto. Certainly was one of the things that endeared my manual VW GTi to me (something had to -- it spent much of its life in the shop).
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    I am close to taking delivery on a new '06 325i (my first BMW!). Am wondering the value of an extended warranty on a BMW.? Having had Lexus' and Acuras in the past, I never bought one and never needed it. Interested in comments on the value of it, people's experience with it, price vary from dealer to dealer and can it be bought later at the end of the 4 year warranty. Thanks- these forums helped a lot with my purchase!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I am close to taking delivery on a new '06 325i (my first BMW!). Am wondering the value of an extended warranty on a BMW.?

How much is the extended warranty being offfered for? I would buy it, if not too expensive, if you're definitely going to keep the car over 4 years.

BTW, you'll love the car.
    Do the math, but I think these warranties are typically high profit add ons that charge far in excess of the anticipated cost of repairs. Better to "self insure" if the risk is acceptable to you.
  • mathew1mathew1 Member Posts: 42
    Hi,

I have driven an 05 325xi for the last year. I recently sold it and signed up for a new 06 325xi. When I test drove the 06, (did it twice to confirm), the immediate feedback I had with the automatic was when I floor the gas from a standing spot, 05 had a better pickup and torque than the 06. I was surprised as the 06 was having an extra 30hp. But does anyone have any opinions on this. This was the only disappointment for me on 06 as compared to 05 besides others like plastic interior lights etc. But low gear torque was a major selling factor of BMW 325 compared to tsx for me. I am assuming the 6spd auto has something to do with this as well.
    Thx.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Are you comparing an E46 325xi 5-Speed Manual with an E90 325xi 6-Speed Automatic? If so you've got your answer. If not and both cars are Automatics, then my guess is that the E46 feels different due to either shorter gearing and/or a different operation of the automatic. Maybe I'm getting the 325xi confused with another car with an automatic, however, is it not true that the Automatic in the E90 starts out in second gear unless you've "Manually" instructed the transmission to use first via Steptronic mode?

Of course I could easily be blowing smoke as the last (and only) BMW with an automatic that I've ever driven was a 1999 323i SP (and this was back in 1998).

Anybody else?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mathew1mathew1 Member Posts: 42
    Shipo,

Sorry I am comparing a 2005 325 xi with 5 spd automatic vs 06 325xi with a 6 spd automatic. If what you said that the 6spd automatic starts in 2nd gear is true that explains a lot. But sounds counter intuitive to me. If that is the case, can we change the settings at the dealership.

Thx.
    From looking at the tech specs, the '06 should be quicker, even from a stop.

BMW automatics do "learn" driving patterns. It's possible the tester has been driven gently on test drives, and its automatic was not as primed to jump off the line as yours was/is.
  • amiramir Member Posts: 115
    my 06 330i driver side side outside mirror has some water marks which i am not being able to remove.i tried a lot of glass cleaners.any sujjestions of what i should do cause dealer says its $370 to replace it and its not covered under warrenty.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    According to the ETK the glass only costs around $136(I'm assuming your car is fitted with the reverse "auto dip"). I haven't changed the mirror glass on an E90, but if it's like most BMWs it takes all of about five minutes. Here's how one person described the job on an E36:

There is a lock ring on the backside of the glass that must be turned to unlock the glass, then it just flops out. Buy the new glass first and look at the backside, you'll see the ring and how it unlocks. Stick a skinny (but long...) flat blade screwdriver in behind the glass to get to it. Put a towel on the mirror body to keep from scratching it up. Some mirror bodies have a special slot hole on the bottom just for this purpose, so you can stick the screwdriver up into that slot hole and reach the locking ring. You have to rotate it about a 1/2" turn to unlock it. If your mirrors are heated there will be some small wires to detach.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I've been kind of hoping that some folks with Automatic equipped 325i and 325xi models would chime in and let us know. As for the whole starting out in second gear thing, it is only counterintuitive until you look at it from a fuel economy perspective. These days there are many cars that start out in second gear in an effort to keep the RPMs lower and thus gain extra EPA mileage poings.

Unless you hear from an Automatic owner first, I would suggest another test drive, this time using the Step mode to force first gear.

Keep us posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I attended the BMW 335i Coupe drive event near Atlanta on Sunday.

[ Pics & a short video clip posted here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/BMW%20335i/P1110769crop.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/BMW%20335i/P1110770crop.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/BMW%20335i/?action=view&current=- P1110772.flv

The video was shot with my digital still camera & further compressed on upload ( sigh ) but may give some idea of the 335i’s exhaust note \ tone. ]

I drove the 335i Coupe for 2 quick ( waaaay too quick ) laps of a very tight cone course on a large parking lot at Stone Mt. Each 335i Coupe was STEPtronic & Sport.

My current sedan = 303 \ 323 HP \ TQ and similar weight. Big differences are:
    1 - Mine = FWD and the BMW = RWD
    2 – Mine = 4 speed manumatic w/paddle shift and BMW = 6 speed

Also, the BMW has implemented the paddle up \ down as the reverse of mine and the Corvette ( another primary contender for my next acquisition ) but is otherwise similar in execution. Since the course was tight and short and I wanted to focus on the car, not time, I launched each time & upshifted to second quickly, staying in second the rest of the course.

This sort of event can certainly be fun & a few impressions gathered are interesting. But it is so far removed from most any real street driving that I draw few conclusions. That would have to wait for a test drive at my dealer.

Here are my few conclusions:
    1 – The improvement in acceleration over a 330i is clear. TQ is excellent.
    1A – No discernable turbo lag. Kudos.
    2 – The exhaust note from outside seemed OK.
    3 – The interior looked & felt like a quality piece.
    4 – The STEP automatic worked better than the one in the last 330i I drove.
    5 – Traction control (activated several times) worked well.
    6 – I will probably drive a Sedan, when one becomes available at my Dealer.

I would have much preferred a venue and schedule more like the last 5 Series introduction, held at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Where there was both much more room and more time to gather something like real world data. ( sigh )

I could not judge ride at rural or highway speeds. I could not tell how it would sound with the sunroof in vent, as I drive 95+% of the time. I could not evaluate several aspects of the STEP that I’d care about.

It was fun – and as long as BMW offers to allow me to drive ( abuse ) their new cars while they pay for tires, gas & any other wear and tear, I will drive their cars. I was pleasantly surprised at the exhaust note, as a couple of turbochargers in the stream sometimes cause an odd tone. And it was loud enough at WOT to be noticed. But not too loud.

I know that I’d miss my HUD. Having a tachometer & MPH display in a HUD would have been very interesting during this exercise. As it was, I could not closely monitor either, while driving on an unfamiliar course & almost continuously turning. I also could not judge such things as the STEP rev match on downshift. Oh, well . . .

Fun time.
    - Ray
    Impressed but undecided . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I've got an automatic '06 330i. While I had not driven the e46 vs the e90 back-to-back, I had driven an e46 last year. Just from seat of the pants and my memory, the 330i felt significantly faster than the last e46 I drove.

Don't know about starting out in 2nd gear. One thing I did note, the e90 was much smoother in the automatic version than the e46.

I drive mine aggressively and more often than not, have the tranny in "sport" mode. I lose about 1 MPG by driving in sport mode, it's significantly faster than when I have the tranny in "normal" mode.

Can't comment on the 325 versions in each model since I never tested one.
This discussion has been closed.