Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Of the European brands, I might add the W208 CLK430. I'll never forget seeing a bright red CLK430 at the Atlanta Auto Show in 1999 and thinking that it was the best design out of MB in years. Any angle looked good! Had to have it and bought a black/oyster one. Purposeful, but elegant. Nice interior design with flow of center stack and console.

Needed 4 doors and have a 2003 e39 SP and agree that it is a timeless design with performance to match. Definitely a keeper!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    That's a good list Shipo but there is one other 4 door sedan that makes my personal list of enduring classic lookers--

The Jag Mk.II sedan, which like the E39 was a compact sedan with good performance and I've never tired of looking at them. It was a pretty good race car in it's day too.

--A fellow E39 owner ('00 528iA)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Oh yeah, I forgot about those old Saloons. ;-) Yup, they would certainly make the list too.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I don't think the interior of the E90 is going to look anything like the E39, at least not from the pictures I've seen.. Like the new E60, but not the E39... The cockpit interior is gone...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Likely you're right about the E90 interiors, they look rather plain to me in photos but at least you can avoid the hideous double hump (as in the E60) in you don't order the I-Drive, based on photos I've seen.

• planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Great list. Looks like I'm in good company. Let's not forget the one that made it all happen-the 2002. My cousin just reminded me with his 1969 2002. It has about 350k on it, & he drives it all over the country. BMW missed out on bringing the 2002 back two years ago. What a kick that would be. Although I am planning to buy the E90 next year, I don't have the same feeling towards it as I would say an E39 or Porsche 356B, or a 1989 911. I know this is not an "apples to apples" thing, but just my little list.

Shipo-If you don't mind my asking, when are you planning to get yours?
    Yes, the 2002 is a very cool car, however, for my tastes, it is relatively low on the "Lust" scale. ;-)

Regarding a new E90 im my future, hmmm, given that my current priority list goes something like this:

1) Turn in (or sell) the 530i next spring.
    2) Start driving our spare car, a 1998 Dodge Caravan.
    3) Launch a new business that has been in the planning stages for quite some time (with all of the associated reductions in income for a while -- errr, I hope).
    4) Finish my flying lessons.
    5) Buy a small plane (probably something like a 1968 Cessna 172).
    6) Upgrade the avionics (same price as a 330i).
    7) Get my instrument ticket.
    8) Take the family on another ED trip and pick up a new E90 330i.

I'm figuring that I won't actually get the new car until sometime in 2006. :-( Until then, I'm going to have to live vicariously through y'all. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I had a couple of occasions to drive 2002s back in the day and they were wonderful cars indeed but their styling (derived from 60s Corvairs) was the least impressive thing about them.

Wonderful to drive/own but not exactly eye candy IMO. I think the E36s were the first small Bimmers to really look good.

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    So when the E90 is introduced to the U.S. in the fall of 2005 we will get the sedan first, if I'm assuming correctly? I remember when the E36 and E46 were launched in America (1992 and 1999, respectively) and the sedans were introduced before the coupes.

Now, if the pattern at BMW continues will the E46 convertible go on with the older style for 2006 as the E90 comes on line? (My guess is that it most likely will)
    I think you are correct.. except that last word had dealer demo cars on the lot by May, with stock cars arriving in June... So, a little earlier than this fall for the sedans.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ - December 10, 2004…"The all-new 5th generation BMW 3 Series will make its North American debut at the 2005 New York International Auto Show and going on sale in the U.S. in spring of 2005." By the way has anyone placed an order yet? I plan on placing mine mid January but would like to have some pricing/ordering information. I imagine that they are currentyly being built in Germany rather than the 2005s. Thanks
    '05 production continues through January.. I think they start production on the new ones in February, with them going on sale in Germany in March..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    Talked to a salesperson at local BMW dealer today. Stated that the new 3 would be in showroom in February with delivery possible by May.
    That's great news! Any price/order information? My dealer is pretty useless, it seems I have to keep him informed. Anyone got an American brochure? Thanks.
    The German prices are floating around. Compared to the 2005 German prices, there is a very small increase. As the options list is not available yet, we don't know what the net-net configuration price will be.
    Please stop back and tell us if this happens.. North American debut of the E90 is supposed to be at the auto show in March.. I'd be surprised if any dealer has one in February, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Salesmen at dealerships are usually the last to know the correct info.... but, stranger things have happened..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    had a front page artice last week on the decline of the Dollar to the Euro, Yen ect..

hopefully the E90 wil not follow suit IE Audi A6, LandRover LR3, and have had enormous new model price increases.

DL
  • psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    kyfdx,

Actually, the sales person called me I believe to entice me into a x3; talked about new pricing for the 3.0 for 2005. I drove a 2.5 at his dealership a couple of months ago (2004) and just was not impressed. He then stated that they would "probably" have the new 3 in the showroom to "look at only" but could begin taking orders about then.

Anyhow, how do people think the new 3 will compare to the new body A4 (audi). I am partial to the BMW, but don't want to be set on the 3 if the a4 has comparable equipment and performance for a perhaps lower price. Any thoughts?
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    well the new 3er is a complete redesign for sure, while the new a4 is just an update-facelift from the previous one.

but the fact remains that audi is always better equipped, and comes w/ better material quality. engines on both cars will be practically the same, somewhere around 250 horses, the thing is a4 is heavier (current ones), making it slower in acceleration, so im looking forward to see if the new a4 will use lighter frame.

and since the new a4 is more of a facelift id say the price wont rise as much, compared to bmw w/ its complete redesign.

one thing thats gonna be a real pain is 330is will come w/ i-drive, itll make me think twice before buying it, though i think its quite easy to use its still a distraction the road.
    "but the fact remains that audi is always better equipped, and comes w/ better material quality."

Kind of subjective, and also depends on the specific models of cars being compared.

"engines on both cars will be practically the same, somewhere around 250 horses,"

On paper maybe, however, stat for stat, the BMW engines have always seemed to significantly out perform similarly rated Audi engines (except for the blown versions at altitude).

"one thing thats gonna be a real pain is 330is will come w/ i-drive..."

It is my understanding that iDrive will be an option on all E90s. Left to my own devices, it would make sense to me that BMW would only require iDrive on cars equipped with NAV.

Since I certainly can live without NAV (unlike my directionally challenged wife), that would leave me with the option of not ordering iDrive, assuming that after a test drive or two I decide that I don't like it.

Best Regards,

Shipo
    I will not buy the car if i-drive is not an option I can opt out of. I have a friend that is on his third 745, due to i-drive related issues. This may be a very limited issue, but his second car caught on fire on his way home from the dealer. I have been a BMW owner for the last 10 years, and love everything about the car except i-drive.
    Well, assuming my logic proves to be correct, unless you REALLY WANT a car with NAV, you will probably be able to opt out of iDrive. ;-)

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "but the fact remains that audi is always better equipped, and comes w/ better material quality."

People kept saying how superior the Tourareg interior is to the BMW and competition. When I test drove it I was totally underwhelmed both inside and out. If people think of that as being heads and shoulders above the competition, I'm going back to cloth seats.

I now do not believe Audi interiors are better than BMW interiors.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    The Touareg is sold as a VW.
  • sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    Sure Audi's interiors are nicer than BMW's. Acura's new interiors are nicer too. You have seen the new X3 you call that high quality at a BMW level and price? Honda's $33K Pilot has better effort and execution than that.

The new 5 series interior has been hit with the cost cutting pen also compared to the previous model. The new 3 series surely is not going to top the 5 series in materials since the 5 's a more upmarket car. Sorry, others don't live in the perfect utopia, find nothing at fault with BMW because your an owner of one. BMW has learned that I-drive has to be optional or they will be in deep doo-doo.
    "Nicer" is qualitative not quantitative. I think the new 5 series interior is nicer than the previous, the cockpit issue not withstanding.

But after driving a Tourareg and hearing about how people rave about the interior I was not impressed. To me the VW/Audi/BMW interiors are on par, with the BMW being the most driver oriented.

The X3 is in a different market. To me BMW wanted people to thing the interior could take some punishment. There is absolutely nothing worse than buying a vehicle such as a SUV and being afraid to rip the leather. There are no such worries with an X3 and I can appreciate that due to the "tougher" interior. The worse punishment an RX330 could have is a cold yogurt container on the leather.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Also the 2005.5 A4 has a new engine as well. A 3.2 FSI engine producing 255hp with 243 lb torque. This version will be out in the 2nd qtr with the 2006 model coming out in the 3rd/4th qtr with the S-Line package available and new options for interior etc. The 2005.5 version will not offer a manual, only Tiptronic. Maybe the 2006 will offer manual.

So, I would say there are some major changes happening on the A4, the first being the 2005.5 A4 for the March/April version but to compare directly to the 2006 330i, you should wait and see all the available changes for the 2006 A4.

I will look at the 2006 A4 if available at the time of release of the 330i but prob. will lean towards bmw for interior and exterior looks as well as performance etc.

my 3 cents worth
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "he 2005.5 version will not offer a manual, only Tiptronic. Maybe the 2006 will offer manual."

In this performance segment of the market, not having a manual is a big flaw for the A4 3.2 FSI. This market is defined by the many who love their stick shifts. Definitely prefer the manual BMW E90 over the new tiptronic Audi A4.

Also I am awaiting the e90s equipped with x3. I am sure the new x3 system is superior to Audi's quattro system.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Are you sure there will be no manual.

As far as I've read only the A6 will forgo the manual.

The new A4 offers a 5 or 6 spd manual with all engines, a CVT for FWD and an optional 6spd auto sport tiptronic for quattro models.
    RE:"not having a manual is a big flaw"

unfortunatly doing a inventory check of Dallas area BMW and Audi dealers they stock less than 1% manuals and for the most part require a special order, which is fine with me.However i can see where 95% of buyer are not driving enthusiast , but rather status buyer types could care less about a manual availablity.

DL
    That might not be a bad thing. Some people just shouldn't drive manuals.

I recently "took" a 330 from a rolling start in my 03 Accord I4 5spd. It was a mutual semi-race...he just couldn't shift into second properly. I felt embarrassed for him.

I’m not delusional to think the I4 Accord should be mentioned in the same sentence as a 330…just to illustrate that for some people, a reality check is in order, and an automatic should have been.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I personally think there's be a lot less problems on the road if everyone drove manuals. You need to know a little more about the car works and think about that you're doing.

I was at a BMW dealer here in chicago, and there wan't a manual 3-series sedan in stock to test drive. The saab and merc dealers had 'em though (9-3 aero, 9-5 aero, and c230SS )

I think the next a4 will have DSG instead of a 3-pedal arrangement. DSG is like SMG.

dave
    Even if manuals are sold to a shrinking minority of North American enthusiasts, they should still exist.

Is it mere coincidence that Lexus realized their mistake by belatedly introducing a manual IS300, the Infiniti's delay with a manual G35 and Acura's delay in providing a manual for the previous TL model.

Germans listen to the Japanese! Dont be contrarians to the Japanese and remove stick shifts . Once the enthusiasts get disgruntled they will flee elsewhere.(Japanese competition)

Although a minority of drivers are enthusiasts, they tend to be opinion leaders. If their opinions turn negative---many of the followers(majority of the population) will follow their lead and buy automatic versions of whatever manual models enthusiasts buy! This is why the Japanese provide tranny options for this specific performance segment of the industry. And this is why hisorically Germans were famous in this segment of the industry(it would be stupid if German automakers change and remove manual versions)
    will consist of a base 6 speed, available on both the 325 & 330. There will be an improved optional step. The 330 will also have an optional SMG. In later models there will be a VW DSG styled trans.

I like the way BMW is giving us a lot of choices. If I could have my cake & eat it too, I would like the very early E90s to have the DSG style trans.
    "On paper maybe, however, stat for stat, the BMW engines have always seemed to significantly out perform similarly rated Audi engines (except for the blown versions at altitude)."

true, cos audi weighs a couple hundred pounds heavier than the bmw

ivan99: well what can i say, stick drivers are minorities nowadays, even lots of teens have no clue on how to drive w/ stick.
    "true, cos audi weighs a couple hundred pounds heavier than the bmw"

2000 A4 vs. 2000 3-Series sedan weights (manual transmission):

2000 A4 1.8t: 2998

2000 323i: 3153

2000 A4 2.8: 3164

2000 328i: 3197

I just chose these two models and that year at random, however, it seems that at least in this case, the BMWs were heavier.

Best Regards,

Shipo
    I should specify I was only referring to the quattro for the new 2005.5 and 2006 model coming out next year.

So my point was they only offer the Tiptronic for the 3.2 FSI quattro. And comparing that specifically to the 2006 330i.
    Maybe on the 2006 model, for sure not on the 2005.5 model.

That would peak my interest and would be a fair direct comparison to the A4 2006 3.2 FSI quattro.
  • jason3jason3 Member Posts: 3
    Do you know if the new engines will be incorporated into the x3, x5 and 5 series? Meaning will the new 215 hp be the new base 2.5L in the x3? I am hoping to purchase a new x3 or x5 but am debating whether to wait to see if the new standard 3 series engines will be used in the x5 or x3. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jason

PS I have a 04 325xi fully loaded and wouldn't trade it for the world! Only regret is not getting the extra hp. (330)
    I learned on a manual. As an accident investigator i would have to say that we are sorley lacking in whats required for a drivers license compaired to lots of countries. Also i have noticed that far less manual drivers are involved in crashes.Its a little harder to put on make up, talk on cell phone, ect ect and try to control the vehicle.Me thinks technology isnt allways good.

ill stay on topic next time, :)

DL
    Hmmm, tough call on that one, I have no more specific information than what we have all read here. My best guess is that the new I6 engines will appear in the rest of the I6 sporting product line as soon as is practical, and maybe even as soon as the new engine is fully in production. Having said that, there is precedence to go either way on this, as an example, just look back at 1999 during the last substantial change in engine architecture. The 1999 528i got the new motor of the 1999 E46 328i, while the 1999 E36 328is (2-Door Coupe) continued on with the older 2.8 liter mill. Does that mean the same thing will happen this time around? A definite maybe. ;-)

Along those lines, BMW will most likely not retool all of their engine factories at the exact time so as to keep engine production up as much as possible during the change over. That means that some cars will initially get the new motor (the E90 and maybe something else new like the E60 AWD version), while others will soldier on with the current engine until some later point (like maybe the beginning of the 2006 model year).

As I said before, I have no specific knowledge regarding the change over, I am just speculating here. Anybody have any more current information? Div2?

Best Regards,

Shipo
    The new engines are supposed to appear in the 5 series in March 05
  • richard2004richard2004 Member Posts: 9
    How long should I wait until most of the bugs and problems are worked out of the new E90? I am thinking of trading in my 2002 330xi for the new E90 330i speed manual when it comes out. How long after the introduction of the new 330i in the summer of 2005 would you wait to allow BMW to work "most" of the problems out of the new model? I was thinking of waiting about 6 months until December 2005 but thought that this may still be a little early. I am not sure though if I can wait though until the summer of 2006 or later :-)
    Why wait?

I bought my 99 323 bmw during intro year and am very satisfied. Sometimes waiting is not worth it. If you waited since 98 for Passat to improve its reliability, your 6 year wait is not worth it.

Other secret is do not buy a BMW with electrical/electronic gizmos options( More gizmos, more likely to have problems).
    Good advice, besides with no charge service/repair for 4 years, 50,000 miles let BMW worry about the bugs, I am sure with that in mind the are not going to release a car with numerous initial problems, that's what GM/Chrysler is for. LOL (J?K) By the way, has anyone placed an order for the 2006 3 Series yet?? Thanks
    Does anyone have information to validate the assumption that first year models have greater defects. I am not aware of significant issues with first year models. I plan to get the very first E90 I can lay my hands on. In an previous post, I noted my friends adventures with a 2003, 2004, & now 2005 745. The 2003 & 2004 had electrical problems. The 2005 hasn't had any problems into it's first month. One thing I have to say is that BMW did back the cars up quite well. At the end of the day, it's what you feel comfortable with.
    I wouldn't expect many bugs. I don't think they are introducing any new technologies; everything has already been in use in other models.

Other than the new engine, which I don't see failing (odd for modern engines to fail), I think the new model may only suffer from rattles etc. not a show stopper in my book.
  • jason3jason3 Member Posts: 3
    Does BMW plan to keep the new "interior" in the 5 series and 2006 3 series? I have to say that in my opinion it is down right ugly. I really love the interior in my 04 3 series but looking at the pictures of the 06 I can't say that I would spend that much money on the new car. The x3 interior is ok, not great. Just wondering if BMW has been hurt by the re-design. They had to mess with perfection and screwed it up in my opinion, I really hope they make some changes and soon. Thoughts?
    i compare the 2003 a4 3.0 (220hp) and 2004 330i (225 hp), im not sure how much each car weighs, i gotta check it again, but audis a few hundred pounds heavier for sure.
    Ugly is a matter of taste. I can't say it's ugly, but I view it as just as functional, and nice as the now outgoing models.
This discussion has been closed.