Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Auto Tranny Problems

Comments

• bhillsbhills Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2000 xcab 4x4 with auto tranny, heavy duty service, etc since I want to tow a
    heavy trailer camper (approx 3000lbs loaded).
    Any one have any experience in this kind of
    situation?
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Please take a moment to visit Kenny Brown Talks About Women And Performance Cars! in the Our Turn, Women's Automotive Research Conference. Kenny Brown will be available all this week to answer your questions.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • 39928243992824 Member Posts: 5
    My experience with trans trouble occurred at 17k miles on my '97 Ram 1500 club cab. After towing a 27', 6500 GVW travel trailer for 300 mi., and parking it overnight, the next morning during an hour trip w/o trailer it wouldn't shift into O/D. After parking truck for a couple hours, the trans resumed using O/D. Nothing further was noted during for days, until towing the trailer home. The trans then slipped when starting from stop, and occurred at every stop.

On return home, scheduled service at the 5 star dealer I purchased truck from. They asked if I towed in O/D, which I didn't. Mechanic told me the 1500 was marginal for towing a trailer this size. This surprised me greatly as the truck is rated for 8100 lbs. with the towing pkg and heavy duty service group, which I am equipped with.

The results of this visit was an "overhaul" which included an updated front clutch pack (From a 3 disk pack to a 4 disk) per Chrysler bulletin?

I am taking the truck back next week, due to a hunting problem between 1st and 2nd at slow acceleration, (W/O trailer) and hunting between 2nd and 3rd under load (with trailer).

I love my truck, but am disapointed with these problems
  • springbergspringberg Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 dakota back in April 2wd club cab with the auto trans. Love the truck but the transmission doesn't like to downshift when I make left hand turns. Does it when the A/Cs on or not. Everytime I'm ready to take it to the dealer, the problem stops. It's got 6,000 miles on it now. Any ideas?
  • 388589947388589947 Member Posts: 2
    I have a story to tell you about my 1996 Dakota
    2wd ext cab. I bought the truck used this summer
    at just under 36,000. About a month ago I had a
    transmission tune up and shortly after that (about
    40,500) experienced problems shifting from 2nd to
    3rd only when the tranny was cold. In Wisconsin,
    the mornings are getting colder now and the colder
    it got, the more problems the tranny had shifting
    from 2nd to 3rd. Once warm, I had no trouble at
    all.
    The Dodge dealer from whom I purchased the truck
    had it a few times and determined that a seal in
    the transmission needed replacement. I was worried because I knew I was out of the warranty period. The service manager volunteered to check with his service rep to see what Dodge would do. I didn't even need the considerable testimonials from the wonderful people on this web site indicating that Chrysler covers transmission repairs within a reasonable amount of time beyond the warranty period I was armed with.
    The transmission was overhauled and Chrysler
    picked up all but $200 of the tab. I feel this is
    very reasonable. The dealer was excellent in
    trying to make things right. He did mention that
    transmission tuneups should be done religiously every 24k if you don't trailer and every 12k if you do. He also emphasized that if you trailer, TURN OFF the overdrive while towing. This is not only true for Mopar, but I know several cases in which GM tranny's were cooked towing while in overdrive. Finally, he confirmed other recommendations on this web site about only using Mopar 7176 tranny fluid.
    I know there are a lot of negative posts about
    Mopar transmission, and I'm sure they're happening, but I'm pleased with how Chrysler stood behind their product in my case.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    i have been told many times, when you get your tranny serviced dont pull the pan to drain and do a service, when you change the tranny fluid that way, you still leave half of the original fluid in there and when the new and old mix there is a chemical reaction, i have learned that if you flush the system you get all of the old out, and as far as using the mopar fluid, i have heard it is the best to use also, and as far as towing, everyone i know with tranny problems over the years is usually from towing in overdrive. i use to work at a tranny place and that was our experience
  • nab123nab123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 Dakota with the 4sd auto trans. It recently kicked over 149,000 and still going strong. I pulled a trailer for 3,000 miles last month and didn't use the o/d button except on two occasions. I used Slick 50 at the beginning and at 50,000 went to Duro Lube.I use Duro Lube in the trans every 50,000 when I change fluid and filter.Tires, brakes, and exhaust have been changed. The rear end was changed because of a whine at 70,000 and has been fine since. I change oil and filter at 2500-3000 miles and of this time I use about a quart of oil in 2500 miles.
    Did I get an unusual truck? Maybe, I don't know.But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and I'm thinking about a 2000 quad cab with the 4.7 and 4spd auto. I have the 5.2 and love it with heavy duty everything and trl pkg. I'd go the same way again and may do it soon.
    Good luck to you other folks with the trans prob. Hope it gets resolved to you satisfaction.
  • keg3keg3 Member Posts: 14
    what octane fuel do you feed your truck when its thirsty? owners manual says high quality 87 octane? thats sounds a little low for a v-8. any experiences, comments on the type(s) of gas your're using for this new engine in the dakotas and how its performing?
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    No problem here on the regular gas. I too was sceptical, but it seems that one of Jeep / Dodge's key goals of this engine was to allow it to run on regular gas.

I am sure someone with far greater knowledge than me can look at the engine specs and tell you what they consider the best octane rating to be based on them - but for me 87 works fine.
  • schureschure Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 1999 dakota 4x4 club cab with all the goodies in june 1999 when i turned 7000 miles my engine light started to flash i also developed a knock when going up hills and loseing power the truck goes in the shop tomorow they tell me its a flash module problem?anyone else encounter such a problem????
  • tlynn1tlynn1 Member Posts: 24
    have 2k club cab 4x4 4.7 auto. when cold and for about 2 to 4 miles until good and warm, the trans will slip about 500 rpm when at cruse then giving a little gas. this goes away after that. any others doing this or any answers as to why ?
  • gsx750fgsx750f Member Posts: 32
    i have a 2000 Dakota Quad 4.7L auto. I have noticed that when the engine is cold it sounds twice as loud as normal. Sounds like its reving higher than it actually is. It only last for 2-3 blocks and I never go over 25 in that period. After that everything seems ok.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You are simply hearing the 'roaring' of the engine fan as it sucks air through the radiator. This fan is connected to the engine with a viscous-coupling that contains silicone fluid. When cold, this fluid is THICK and forces the fan to be solidly connected to the engine. After spinning for 5-10 minutes, centripetal force throws the fluid to the outside and the fan starts to 'freewheel' as it becomes disconnected from the engine. The 'roar' subsides at this point.

This is a normal function of the viscous-coupling on the radiator fan. I agree with you that the 'roar' makes the engine SOUND to be working extra hard. Rest assured that it is simply the sound of air through a fan. (Much like an airplane propeller)

The only other time you will hear this 'roar' is when the engine is VERY hot and the air coming thru the radiator is warm enough to 'activate' the viscous-coupling. This will 'engage' the fan and pull additional cool air through the radiator. The 2000 Dakotas also have an additional electric radiator fan that is much quieter which is controlled by the engine computer and is engaged under various conditions based on engine temp and AC being turned on.
  • duey2duey2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dodge Dakota with a 5.2 engine and auto tranny. It seems that almost everytime I want to backup, it drops very hard into reverse. I come to a complete stop, and as always bammm into reverse. Has their been issues with this?
  • hiattwhiattw Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering purchasing basically a fully loaded Dakota Sport w/ the bucket seats. I want the 4.7L v8. How's the performance of this engine? How about gas mileage compared to the v6? Is the v6 enough power for the truck? Any pros + cons about the truck? Thanks for all your help
  • cover1cover1 Member Posts: 3
    98 Dakota CC, 3.9 w/auto. At 34,000 miles it started slipping before going to 3rd at about 3,000 RPM. Took it to Dodge, they found no problem, but problem disappeared. Now a year later, at 71,000 it's doing it again (35k out of warranty) Dealer looked into the problem, prescribed new tranny, and asked only that I participate in the cost to the tune of $100. The tranny may not be the greatest, but their customer service is sterling! With that kind of response from a dealer, I would not hesitate to buy another Dodge.
  • hemi4hemi4 Member Posts: 3
    Jim, What are the maintenance schedules like? I have heard that the new generation powerplant doesn't have spark plugs, it has individual coils (if you will) for each cylinder. Any info you can share will be appreciated. Thanks Rob
    I think you would find much more info on the new 4.7V8 in forum#1318 (00 dakota 4.7l)
    You are correct that it has iundividual coils for each spark unit. Also, as your name implies, this is essentially a true HEMI and, as such, is peaky
    (Ref http://www.4adodge.com/glossary/torque_charts/index.html?quad)

A few other URLs about this engine are:
    http://dodgeram.com/technical/cammer/4_7_v8.html
    http://www.wardsauto.com/best10/99info/dcc47v8.htm
  • hemi4hemi4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the links, it answered all my questions and then some. Didn't realize that it was close to being a HEMI due to the fact that I hadn't read anything on it or actually saw one until yesterday. I own a street HEMI and am very partial to anything close. Thanks again.
  • mailman54mailman54 Member Posts: 111
    I don't know if I have been lucky or what, but I have not had any trouble with the automatic transimission on my 91 5.2 liter Dakota. It has 100,000 miles on it and the transmission and motor are still running strong. My only problem has been getting rid of the maintenance required light that stays on all the time. After I went off the warranty, I started to take my Dakota to a garage to save money on the periodic maintenance. When they performed the 90,000 mile maintenance, they were unable to turn off the maintenace required light. It seems that you have to hook it up to the Dodge computer to reset it after the checkup. Thank god they no longer have this requirement on the new Dakotas. I asked my Dodge dealer if they would turn it off for me and they said they would only do it if they performed the entire service. Big Bucks! I just put a piece of tape over it and forgot about it, but I am thinking about selling it now and would like to reset this light. Anyone have any ideas?

I ordered a 2000 4.7 auto Dakota in October and received in December after a 10 week wait. It is a regular cab with the short bed and runs great. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no lock on the glove box. I have no idea why they stopped putting locks on pickup glove boxes, but I think it sucks! Does anyone have any idea how I might get a lock on the glove box. Thanks!

Dakota all the way,

Mailman
  • niklis2niklis2 Member Posts: 1
    I had to have my trans replaced after 3,400 mi. I was in TX on a trip from NJ to AZ. The automatic trans started making noise occasionally when it up shifted. Called the local Chrysler (Don Johnson) dealer and he said come right in. drove into his lot and it would not move again no forward or reverse. Received a loaner for the week it took to replace the trans. Chrysler covered everything except $100 dollars to ship the trans to TX.
    When I got to AZ (7,000 mi.)it started again the rear seal was leaking and a noise from the rear end. I also was haveing trouble with the cruise control it lets the speed drop as much as 7 mi below the setting on hills. The dealer in Tucson (Jim Click) fixed the seal and replaced a bearing in the rear. The problem with up shifting and cruise control didn't show up while he had the truck for TWO WEEKS. I did have a loaner for that time.
  • raptor01raptor01 Member Posts: 45
    Last night I bought a Dakota quad SLT, V-6, Auto. This morning I found a small puddle of transmission fluid on the garage floor. The leak appears to be from where the trans bolts to the engine. I returned it to the dealer this AM and was told they would have to pull the trans back and replace a seal and would need a couple of days or I could pick out another quad on the lot. Upon inspecting the other quads (2) I noticed they were both leaking in the same area. I've asked my CU to hold the payment check until I release it. Anyone else having this problem?
    Not a happy camper
  • rwillhomerwillhome Member Posts: 5
    I just bought one in early December also. I have not noticed trans fluid on the ground. However, I have the 4X4 with the 4.7 liter and multispeed trans and I have it in the shop for the second time due to shifting problems. In particular, shifts from 2to3 gear are very harsh at times. They have been reprogramming the electronic module to try and deal with the problem. I hope it works but think something else is at fault(sensor, etc.)
  • sack16sack16 Member Posts: 2
    Duey 2, I have a 95 Dakota 5.2 v8. Had the tranny replaced with 37000. Dodge put in a rebuilt tranny and they said they would only cover half. All in all i shelled out about $1000 to cover the tranny and the rental car, the dealer wouldn't give a loner (Mente, in Kutztown, PA) I have the same problem with shifting. I asked a Dodge mechanic what that could be and he said that it was normal because the tried to insulate the tranny so you could hear it. personally I think something is still wrong. Now I have 63000 on it and it still does it, but now the damn thing is slipping when I first pull out.

After it warms up it stops, but I wonder why it is slipping? Checked the fluid, it's OK, anyone have any ideas on what this could be. Thanks
  • myersedmyersed Member Posts: 102
    I have mine about 2 weeks - with almost 1K miles. Probably too new to teel but so far I have no leaks or shifting problems.
  • raptor01raptor01 Member Posts: 45
    I believe the V-6 trans is different from the 4.7 trans. Dealer replaced the trans seal and so far so good. I also negotiated a 7/75000 extended warranty at no cost. I hope your dealer can trouble shoot and fix your problem...Good Luck
    The transmission with the 4.7L engine is definitely different from the 3.9L. The 4.7L and multispeed transmission were designed to work together. After two TCM (trans control module) calibrations, I still have some harsh shifts. It seems to be less with Overdrive off, for some reason. Maybe there is a sticking valve??
    The dealer's best trans mechanic is in training all this week on this transmission. He is going to pose questions relating specifically to my vehicle and see if they can figure it out.
    Thanks for your feedback...
  • kwiktripkwiktrip Member Posts: 2
    I have 150K on my 1988 Dakota 4X4. The transmission has been rebuilt twice and front pump seal replaced recently. New engine is fine with only 50K now. It is a nice truck, has lots of options, is clean, no dents, and everything works. I have been told that, now, the transmission housing has a crack! So I guess it's time to start with a new one, not rebuild again since this one has been out so many times already. Any ideas on how to go about this? Is the dealer the best (or only) option? I would appreciate hearing any advice or about any other experience, good or bad. I'm OK driving my '99 300M until the truck is better but it's winter in New England and, well......you know the rest! Thanks for reading.
  • kupalkupal Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading all the posts here, and I've also heard a multitude of stories (obviously all anecdotal) from elsewhere about Chrysler's quality control (or lack of it).

Are we getting a skewed view because of the topic?
    Does anyone know (and can back it up with objective data) what the real story is? My feeling is that Chrysler products (and their transmissions in particular) really do suffer in quality and reliability, in view of the frequent negative observations noted by a multitude of magazine reviewers.

Can anyone refute this, not with anecdotes, but with data?
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    I can tell you what DaimlerChrysler are doing. They have set up a very high level task force to address their transmissions. This is led by someone with a wonderful title - something like Vice President in charge of Powerplants and Transmissions or similar.

They have been tasked to design new DaimlerChrysler transmissions. They have specifically been told to start with a blank piece of paper, not redesign anything that already exists.

All of the above is fact, not anecdote. I have heard, but cannot back it up, that the Ram redesign will see the first results of this task force.

I do not know why this task force, I could speculate that it is an acknowledgement of problems but I can't back that up either.

I will tell you some facts that may allow you to draw your own conclusions.

Many automatic transmissions in trucks and SUVs are claimed to fail - regardless of manufacturer. In many cases these failures are caused by improper towing - especially using overdrive while towing heavy loads. Dodge trucks have more of these complaints (in percentage terms) than other manufacturers.
  • fishkidfishkid Member Posts: 1
    I am ordering out a new Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7 liter engine and a auto transmission. Now I hear that there are problems with this setup. Can anyone help with info on this? My son has a 99 Dakota with the 5.2 engine and a auto with no problems in the l 1/2 years he has owned it. The dealer is not very informative on the subject. Thanks for any help.
  • mnevarezmnevarez Member Posts: 3
    I am an extremely satisfied Jeep Cherokee owner who likes the new Dakota Quad Cab. I was hoping to get an auto trans with the 5.9L V8, or the 4.7 V8.

I am told that the 4.7 is the same engine as on my Jeep automatic, which has 200K miles with no major problems. However, I was hoping to tow a large boat, so I am looking at the 5.9. Does anyone have any bad stories/experiences with either of these? Most of the problems I've seen here relate to the 5.2.

Also, I was hoping that the Dakota's shift-on-the-fly part- or full-time four-wheel drive was the same transfer case as Jeep's Select Trac, which is outstanding. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your input.
  • sharp6sharp6 Member Posts: 3
    The 2000 Dakota Crew coupled with the 4.7 V8 sounds like a great truck. I'd love to have one, but the auto trans stories concern me. I've read that new owners have experienced slippage and leaks. My use would be mostly light, but someday I might tow a 3000 to 4000 lb boat a short distance from storage to ramp. I'd like to hear more owner stories, especially about the transmissions.
    sharp6, i have a quad 4.7 auto with 4600 miles, i tow a 5000lb 20ft walkaround incl trailor toys fuel and water. the truck does a great job, it has a towing of 6100lbs, and its alittle slower off the line but its still very peppy. from what i understand the slipping and shifting problems are mostly when the tranny is cold, and most all trucks i have owned were harder shifting when its cold, this one is no where near what im use to, i think most of the problem is it shifts so smooth a little harshness seems like a big deal cause your use to a warm smooth tranny most of the time.

all in all i love the 4.7 auto, it tows great and i think its a great package, it tows my boat better than my friends 2000 chevy 5.4 z71, my truck has more passing pep than his does when my boat is behind it.

good luck iwth your decision,

robert
  • sharp6sharp6 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your comments Robert. I've been shopping for a pickup for some time but, did not want a full size. The little trucks are all too small and ride rough. In my opinion, the Durango is too expensive and would not be ideal for hauling lawn mowers, firewood etc. My bud's new 99 SLT Plus Durango (5.9L auto) is a 4X and has a choppy ride. The reports on the new 4.7L turn my crank. I think once I get used to the stiffer ride of a small truck, I'll like the agility, versatility and acceleration of the Dakota QC. Hopefully, if there are quality issues with the auto trans, they will be addressed.
    as far as ride, mine rides great, and it only 2 db louder in the cabin that a friends 99 lincoln. i think youll be very happy with the truck, very fast and nimble, and it tows fantastic.

robert
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Even without the sway bars (no, I'm not that stupid - dealer did it to me) I've towed a near 4,000# Porsche 928S + the 1,300# trailer with no problems (o/d off) - other than the 12 mpg it got.

As for driving in general, I cruise to one of three oil leases I operate (roundtrips of 100+ miles) at speeds of 75 - 105 mph (speed limiter's off) several times a week. Mileage is the only negative (about 18 mpg @ 85 mph ave.), but hey, I AM in the oil business - can't have it both ways.

My only current wish is to get the truck set up to run CNG (compressed natural gas): cleaner, much cheaper fuel with lots of benefits and NO downside (about 85% efficient BTU equivalent - re: power) for you politically correct (oxymoron?) EPA types.

I looked at and drove many hundreds of miles in '99 & '00 demo and rented versions of: Chevy Silverado V-8, Nissan Exterra & Crew Cab V-6's, Expedition & Explorer V-8's, Montero XLS V-6, F-150 SuperCab V-8 & a diesel, Ram V-8 & various cars. I have a spiral notebook full of notes for my efforts. The only competitor to the Dakota that I could find for my needs was (oddly) the Ford Crown Victoria. If it was an El Camino style car with a bed, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. But it isn't, and I didn't. The nasties in the oilpatch must stay out of the cab, please. (I do think the Crown Vic is a Best Buy, though.)

By the way, I got to ride in, but not drive :-( a new Ford SuperCrew. Very nice, but a little large for me, and a whole bunch of $$$. I don't believe it will be the Dakota's competition; it will be STIFF competition for the full size Super & Crew Cabs, however. Much nicer than the 'biggies' in my opinion.

"The Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 is" in my humble and fairly experienced opinion, "the most complete new model this country has produced during my lifetime." Side by side. Point by point. It's a slam dunk. ---Any specific criticisms invited.---
  • daveknightdaveknight Member Posts: 1
    Im thinking of buying a dakota quad cab and now im seeing all these Horror stories about the tranny and the problems.... just how big is the problem.... should i go back to a GMC or Ford????
  • chadc777chadc777 Member Posts: 54
    sharp6, perceived smooth ride is mainly a result of longer wheelbase and lighter springs. The Durango is built on the short Dakota platform (regular cab/shortbed). The Dakota Quad is built on the long Dakota platform (extended cab or long bed) so it has a longer wheelbase.

My 98 Dak Extended cab 4x4 has what I consider to be a very smooth ride (with 1450 lb payload setup). I've even gotten comments on it from passegers (mainly those used to riding in short wheelbase cars). No doubt the 1800 lb payload option would likely not ride as smooth. From what I have read, only the 1450 payload is available in the Dakota quad. That might have only been for the 4x4 though. If not, it may have changed since I last checked.
    You may want to find out what payload the Durango had, too. A combinatin of higher payload and shorter wheelbase would make a vehicle seem to ride more stiff.

Chad
  • busenitzbusenitz Member Posts: 3
    From what I understand, you should get the higher
    (3.91) axle ratio if you have an automatic. The
    reason for this is that the amount of torque the
    automatic transmission can handle is proportional
    to the input (engine) speed. The higher the speed,
    the more robust the tranny. Most of the problems
    occur with the lower axle ratios. Also remember to
    turn OFF overdrive anywhere but highway speeds.
  • kwiktripkwiktrip Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading these posts for a few weeks now and am not surprised about the number of tranny concerns. I have a '88 Dakota and need a new or re-manufactured unit. The story I'm getting here in SE Connecticut is that there are no re-man. trannys available for the Dakota. With all the problems we have been discussing, it seems almost impossible. Any way...my truck is stranded, I have had the tranny rebuilt 3 times already and won't do it again so I still need a new/different unit. If anyone out there knows of one, or has an other idea of how to resolve this problem, please respond to this post. The truck is 1988, V-6, with 4speed-OD transmission. Thanks
    I have had my truck in 3 times for harsh shifts. Sometimes the trans just "grabs real hard" and sometimes it feels like it is slipping and then grabs hard.
    2 times they re-calibrated the shift points. I have a copy of the procedure, it is pretty simple. The 3rd time, they decided to compare my truck to others like it(3 others to be exact). They say it shift similar to the other 3. They only drove 8 miles total and the problem does not occur everytime. The first 2 times in they acknowledged a problem. The 3rd time seems like they do not know what to do except hope I quit complaining.
    Well no way, they now have a call into Chrysler to have some "expert" come out and drive my vehicle to diagnose it further.
    I asked the dealer why they do not have experience with this tranny since it was on the Grand Cherokee last year. He said the 4.7L and Auto are the same as the Grand Cherokee, but the TCM, Trans control module, is different. The architectural system is different(communication protocol or ?). sorry so long....
  • robnjrobnj Member Posts: 11
    My '89 Dakota with 216,000 miles is still on the original transmission. Just do the regular fluid and filter changes. But, that is not why I am replying to your question.

The reason I replied to yours is that the '88 tranny (called the 999, think) is internally very similar to the old Mopar 904 torqueflight tranny. Any reputable shop can rebuild these to be fairly bullet proof. If you cracked the case, like you said, then you may have a problem. While the internals are the 904 the 999 has a different case. You may have to hunt the salvage yards to find a core to rebuild.

If you want a serious rebuild, take it (or ship it) to Level 10 transmissions in Hamburg, NJ. These guys know Mopar trannys very well and guarantee their work with horsepower ratings. I know of a few Ram owners that took their trannys their when they died and they were covered under Chrysler's warranty. I also own a '96 Ram, if it dies, they are getting it.

The weak link on any of the 80s and newer Mopar trannys is the overdrive unit. If you are going to tow or drive in stop and go conditions, turn the overdrive off! Repetitive engaging and disengaging of the OD unit will prematurely kill it (guaranteed). If you are going to jump on the truck to pass somebody and it is in OD, pop it out first manually! The stress from jumping from OD to 3rd or 2nd, will grenade the unit.
  • jsbutlerjsbutler Member Posts: 5
    I bought a '99 4x4 auto 5.2 Dakota 8 months ago
    it now has 10,000 miles on it, after hearing
    all of the tranny problems I have been awaiting
    for something to happen and sadly enough it did.
    On only one occasion on a 30 mile trip it
    couldn't decide what gear to be in, but after
    that no more problems. I love the truck
    (except for the mpg) but thinking about a
    2000 4x4 4.7 with a 5-speed, any comments from
    current owners would be appreciated. Thx
    (jsbutler) I have the 4.7 with the 5sp manual and 3.55 LSD rear end. It shifts VERY well at all times. (Even at -20F when some trannies have troubles) The hydraulic clutch is smooth and predictable. If you are comfortable with a clutch... go for it.
  • jsbutlerjsbutler Member Posts: 5
    (bpeebles) Thanks for the info, can you tell
    me what year yours is and what kind of mileage
    you get. Thanks
    I have the 4.7L, this has only been available on the 2000 models. Thus far I have seen around 18 MPG during trips. (Virtually identical to the window sticker claims.)

Keep in mind that the feel of POWER under the toes tends to reduce MPG all by itself. The trac-loc rear end is MANDITORY with the 4.7 and 5sp manual. Just rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear will break the rear end loose on DRY pavement in a straight line when the gas tank is near empty.8-)

My 1991 Nissan PU would NEVER give me that feeling. Would you like to buy a very reliable Nissan PU?
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    I KNEW this Quad reminded me of something from the past. I had an SE V-6 King cab that felt, well, similar to the Quad in (early) acceleration and breaking the tires loose, but it had nowhere near the overall build and quality, etc. of the Quad. It was a fine truck - the Quad is spectacular. And I don't even have the LSD. Thought I'd miss it, but I really haven't - yet.
  • chevyman007chevyman007 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone got tranny problems contact me A.S.A.P
  • jkillionjkillion Member Posts: 2
    At 6500 miles I noticed a slow leak from Bell Housing it was so slow I hadn't noticed a level change when checking transmission fluid. Dealership tried replacing seals and gaskets, they could not stop the leak. I know have a new transmission that shutters when backing very slow and down shifts hard when coming to a stop, also shifts hard when putting in reverse which my old transmission did that as well. A buddy of mine has the '99 Concorde under 20k he is now having transmission problems. I recently talked to a tow truck driver for the dealerships around here he is always towing Chrysler/Dodge cars and trucks for tranny problems. I'm still trying to work with dealership to resolve my problems with the Dakota if it is not what I want to hear Iwill pursue the Lemon Law for whats its worth Dodge Fans.