Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think it's ridiculous to change oil just because it's been in the crankcase for 3,500 miles. I run dead dino 7,500 miles, just like my manual recommends, and synthetic is used for the extended drain intervals.

Best would be to run it until an analysis said it was time to replace it....

Steve, Host
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Steve,
        With most engines I would agree with you that 7,500 miles is conservative for dino oil, and synthetic is used for longer drain intervals. However the Lexus RX300 had a bit of an oil gel (sludge) problem with a few engines. Lexus made a minor change to the size of a part in the PCV system, and I have never heard of a RX330 with oil gel. Still, I would not be comfortable going longer than four months or 4,000 miles before changing the oil in a RX330.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    Saw this subject as I was wandering by and wanted to correct a small error. BMW's maintenace program does provide for oil changes however it is NOT at 15k intervals. The car's service indicator (a series of green, yellow and red lights) and the "oil service" message will let you know when it's time for fresh oil. If you're a low mileage driver ( < 15K/yr ) the maintenance program covers a yearly change.

And I'm with the host on this one...in my early years I probably threw away more good oil than the Exxon Valdez. Old habits die hard.
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I like the idea of the lights staying on for a while, as you get out of the car and into the house. Seems like a very civilized thing.

I change the oil in my RX300 every 5000 miles with Mobil 1. If I have to have tires rotated, I go to my trusted local shop to do that and bring my own Mobil 1 for him to change the oil.

It is a bear to get at the filter in the 300. I do it from the front and and use one of those suction pumps that gets about every drop out of the crankcase.

Lexus charges an outrageous price for oil changes. You're better off at your Toyota dealer.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Yes, if you are a lower mileage driver, BMW does provide for an annual oil change. Otherwise, I believe 15K is a good estimate of how frequently the service indicator provides for a free oil service, at least for the newer BMW models.

The 1999 and newer 3-series cars have a service indicator that counts down the number of miles until the next service. (No more green, yellow, and red lights.) In my previous '99 328i, my service indicator went 17,000 miles before recommending an oil change service, which is always performed with synthetic oil. (Personally, I was not comfortable with this long of an interval between oil changes. I paid for a very expensive oil change service at midway -- about 8000 miles.)

My 2000 528i uses colored lights for its service interval indicator, but it still required over 15,000 miles before indicating another oil change service. Again, this is performed with synthetic oil. And, again, I paid for an additional oil change service at about the midway point.

I've seen that Mercedes oil change intervals are very similar to BMW. On the other hand, Audi and Volvo seem to be a little more reasonable on the frequency of the free oil change services. I almost purchased a new Volvo XC90 instead of the RX330 (horrors!). During the process of researching the XC90, I found out that Volvo provides their oil change services every 7500 miles. I'm guessing this is with dead dino, as Steve puts it!
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I prefer the "old" style wiper controls. I do not like the rain sensing wipers. Seems to work very erratic.
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    When I took a test drive in the RX330, the periodic sun reflection off those two vertical aluminum pillars in the middle of the dash board were sort of annoying. It would come and go with the position of the sun, but it doesn't seem to be the best place to use reflective materials. I haven't seen this mentioned before. Anyone else bothered by this? I am in FL where the sun shines every day, so perhaps I notice the situation more.
        Any ideas on how to minimize the reflections? The salesman didn't have any.
  • clburtonclburton Member Posts: 14
    I don't know if it is offered everywhere, but the dealers here (Houston) offered a free two year service plan which included the 1000 mile check, oil changes each 5000 miles and the 15000 mile maintenance.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...235x55x18 tires - at least for the Michelin MXV4 18s -is just 35 psi?

Probably a reflection of the cheaper construction of OEM tires - less tread depth, perhaps shy a ply...but still a Michelin dat gum it!

Inflate these puppies cold at 31-32 psi and you could easily exceed 35 psi when they get to operating temp. Add a hot summer, a long trip, a heavy load..Exploder/Cheapstone all over again?

The Volvo XC90 T6 with its slightly different Michelin Pilot MXM4 has the same 35 psi max rating - also an "OEM" version tire. Even worse - the driver door jam shows a recommended psi for full loads of 39 psi...huh?

Pretty sad on a $40-50k vehicles that tout passenger safety as a major selling point.
  • tsmith67tsmith67 Member Posts: 19
    I am trying to purchase a rx330 in my region, but most come stocked with 17 inch wheels. I am set on getting 18 inch wheels and a couple of dealers have told me they could switch them. My concern and question is: wouldn't that affect the speedometer or odometer? Those with knowledge and expertise please comment.
    Thanks.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I agree with you that 35 PSI maximum does not sound very high. Some cheap tire guages could be off by a couple of pounds, and then you are over the max. Years ago I asked an engineer at one of the American tire manufacturers in Akron, Ohio what was the typical burst pressue of an OEM tire? He replied that it is twice the maximum rating listed on the sidewall. In this case it would be 70 PSI. If the Akron tires were at 70 PSI, you should be in real good shape with Michelins!
    It's the overall diameter of the wheel + tire that affects the speedo/odo - not the individual components.

To simplify, the 17" combo has a smaller wheel or rim and a "taller" tire. The 18" combo has a larger wheel and a "shorter" tire.

So, if you measure the diameter of each combo, bet they are the same overall. You could exchange the standard 17" wheels & tires for the 18" optional set and there would be no difference in speedo/odo readings.

If you want a more technical explanation, check out www.tirerack.com under "plus 1" sizing.
    You can calculate the approxiate sidewall height of a tire by multiplying the tire width by the tire's aspect ratio. For example:

225/65R17: 225mm x .65 = 146.25mm

235/55R18: 235mm x .55 = 129.25mm

Add the additional 0.5" (12.7mm) RADIUS of the 18" wheel (versus the 17" wheel), and you will see there is roughly only a 4mm (.16") difference between the overall height of these two wheel/tire packages.

Note these calculations are approximations. The actual sidewall height is sometimes specified on the tire manuacturer's web sites. I've seen examples of where the calculated height was different by a few millimeters from the manufacturer's specified height. With this in mind, we may discover that the two RX330 wheel/tire packages are actually within 1mm of each (or less), as opposed to the calculated 4mm differential. Either way, 4mm is very insignificant.
    I am trying to purchase a rx330 in my region, but most come stocked with 17 inch wheels. I am set on getting 18 inch wheels and a couple of dealers have told me they could switch them. My concern and question is: wouldn't that affect the speedometer or odometer? Those with knowledge and expertise please comment.
    Thanks.
    Thanks for the information. It will set my mind at ease.
    Tsmith
    Jeff:

Our RX330 came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires on the 18" rims. "V" speed rating with a "260" treadwear rating. The maximum indicated psi on these tires is 44psi.

Hmmm, I wonder why the Michelins MXV4s are rated to only 35psi? And the Pilots on the XC90 T6 are no better?? Very strange. As you mentioned, they must be cutting costs on OEM tires.

I never thought I would be glad to get Goodyear tires instead of Michelins. (And I never thought I would say that with a straight face.)
    Rob,

You're right; neither 18" version is what I would call Great Rubber. Hard to believe they cost about $160 each discounted at tirerack.

Tirerack's reviews, comments, surveys etc. on both of these tires is not very encouraging. RS-As don't see to last too long and they have a bad rep in the wet and this particular Michelin - and I'm a big Michelin advocate - ain't near the top of their food chain either.

Three years ago I swapped the El Cheapo Goodyear Integrity's ($60 tire on a $40K Lexus?) that were standard on our '01 RX300 for Cross-Terrains - what an improvement!

Problem on the RX330 is that I could not find a single alternative tire brand other than GY RSA or Mich MXV4s in the factory OEM 235x55x18 size. And I didn't really want to experiment with the RX330 steering and handling by fitting a different size.

Oh well...time will tell.
  • 46494649 Member Posts: 24
    HELP, My dealer in Maryland is offering me the Platinum 7 year 100,000 extended warranty for my RX 330 (with NAV) at $1600 with $0 deductible. This offer is supposed to be for today only. Does anyone know if this is a good deal? What have others paid who purchased this. Any information would be appreciated. If I could have some responses today if would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    sounds like high pressure sales tactic. My guess is that the offer would be accepted tomorrow.
    HELP, My dealer in Maryland is offering me the Platinum 7 year 100,000 extended warranty for my RX 330 (with NAV) at $1600 with $0 deductible. This offer is supposed to be for today only. Does anyone know if this is a good deal? What have others paid who purchased this. Any information would be appreciated. If I could have some responses today if would be appreciated.

Thanks
    What type of Warranty did you get for $1,100? Was it a Lexus Warranty? Gold or Platinum?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The extended warranty I purchased was the Lexus Platinum. I would not recommend buying a warranty from a third party since many times they won't cover thngs and sometimes they even go out of business.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Reputable, customer oriented dealers will offer you the same price today, tomoorw or next week, unless there is some special incentive to the dealer which might expire. I do not like high pressure-"today only"!!!
  • knockknock Member Posts: 10
    I just got this from a friend:

"Lexus just released this new software for the RX330 to improve the shifting. Here is the TSB#TC005-03. Contact your Lexus dealer for this ECM update..."
  • ccheckercchecker Member Posts: 3
    I&#146;m currently trying to decide between an RX 330 with the regular audio vs the Mark Levinson upgrade. Although it&#146;s clearly a matter of personal preference and the ML does sound better to me, do any of you who have the regular audio regret not upgrading? Are you happy with the regular system? Thanks!
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    Wanted the ML, but couldn't get it with package I purchased. Still quite happy with the standard system.
  • passater1passater1 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone advise if the power outlets can be easily converted to "retained" power. According to the owners' manual, the only are powered when the key is in "acc." or "on". I travel with a 12V refrigerator for medical supplies and need to leave it powered when parking the vehicle for an hour or two. My Passat wagon had two such outlets in the rear.
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    Too Funny. I just asked the same question on the RX300 board. The 300 has 3 Outlets, how many does the 330 have?

I would be interested in this question and agree that you should be able to have power there without the key in the ignition.
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    I also would have liked the ML sound system, but it wasn't available for me either. However, I've been happy with the standard system, and it's vastly superior to Audi and BMW systems I've lived with.
    I am trying to get a list of C-Best options that can be changed on the RX 330 and the dealer says this list is not available. I was able to get a copy in 2000 when I purchased my RX 300.

Has anyone received a copy of the C-Best tables?

Any suggestions?
  • lamkenlamken Member Posts: 19
    There is definitely a list cause I have gone thru it at the dealer. Bug your dealer again or go to a different dealer. When I am a little bit less busy I'll see if I can get the list, scan it and put it in one of the forums.
  • rycaryca Member Posts: 17
    I recently had the software update to improve shifting in the lower gears. It did improve the rough shifting particularly in 1st and 2nd gear. It still feels like stepping on a sponge sometimes as previously mentioned but the shift points are much smoother.
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    I compared the RX330 standard audio and ML audio along with the BOSE system in the 2003 Acura MDX (easy to do 'cause I own the MDX). I concluded that the ML audio slightly, but noticeably, better than the BOSE in the Acura. And the Acura/BOSE was better than the standard RX330 audio by a greater margin. Still, the standard audio system is pretty good - better than the standard audio in most luxury makes. Many will not regret NOT getting the ML audio. But I am one that would have. (That's why I now own an RX with ML audio.)
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    Can't see the point of an upgraded expensive audio system in a car. Does one try to be an audiophile in an automobile? With all the road and wind noise? Who's kidding whom? Unless you're going to be parking in some quiet location, listening to a CD, what's the point? Put that money in the system in your living room!
  • laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    Jeffmust2: How much was the sunshield? Thnx later, ldf
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I guess you have never heard the poor sound produced by the system in the Bimmer or a regular Honda.
    Around $45 or so plus tax.
    The difference between the standard Lexus audio and the upgraded Mark Levinson audio CAN be heard - even on a rough and windy highway at 75 mph. It's true that some people won't be able to hear the difference (finch3). But some can (damormino). That's why this is a very personal choice. It's not about trying to be an "audiophile". It's about choosing an audio system and being satisfied with your choice. So go listen to both and decide for yourself.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If we were talking LS430 then I might agree that one could discern the audiable differences between ML, Bose, or whatever high end system may be installed. But "at speed" in an RX, no way!

Buy the standard OEM system and if you really MUST spend more money, then upgrade the speakers alone.
  • knockknock Member Posts: 10
    That's not true.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I remember some cars (American models I think) are set up so that when the transmission is shifted from Park to Drive, the parking brake would release automatically. I don't suppose this can be done via C-best since the operation of the parking brake is mechanical, and not electronical?
  • grampajoelgrampajoel Member Posts: 13
    what does the sunshade do and where is it installed?
    Whether or not the upgraded Mark Levinson audio is worth the price is certainly a valid topic for debate. But as for whether or not the difference can be heard at speed, the answer is yes.
    But not all will hear it. The various posts illustrate this. So again, go experience both and decide for yourself. Make sure you turn on ASL on the Levinson system and experiment with the settings for "All", "Front" and "Driver" to see what the system can do. The decide if it's worth it for you.
    Grandpa - the sunshield is that folding foam-board + cover fabric item that resides inside the vehicle just behind the windshield and keeps the car cooler by reflecting outwards. These are custom-sized to fit a specific vehicle and if you check the RX windshield - it's a Whopper!

Re the ML sound system - true, it's value is solely in the ears of the potential audience. The standard system also has the "driver-front-rear-all" settings operated from the tuning knob on the right side.
    Let's put this argument to rest! One simply CANNOT discern the sound quality differences between the standard audio system and the premium ML audio system within the RX330... while driving at 90mph... with all the windows rolled down... while listening to AM Talk Radio.

On a more serious note, I have a decent ear for some of the finer details presented by better audio systems. I rate the standard RX330 audio system as decent, but just slightly lower than the sound quality I remember from the standard audio system in our '99 ES300. On the other hand, I would rate it slightly better than the standard system provided in the MDX (not the Bose system), if nothing else than because of the ASL with its various settings. I also like the CD player providing additional information not normally provided on typical OEM systems, such as track time or CD text.

I'm guessing this standard system could be given a little more "punch" by upgrading the rear speakers.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I thought it was against the TOS to post those types of messages with specific names and phone numbers of salespeople.
  • rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    Are there any noticeable visual difference between FWD vs AWD? Is the AWD taller? Can one tell just by looking, that it is a FWD vs AWD?Also, if you get the TO (towing package), is there some kind of towing thing installed under the back bumper with that trailer hitch square hole thing? Or what exactly does the towing package consist of and what does it look like?
  • clburtonclburton Member Posts: 14
    Finch, it all comes down to personal preference. Is the ML stereo worth the money? I say it is for me. I have a nice home stereo, but I listen to the one in my RX330 more than I am able to listen to my home stereo.

You can argue (and some will) that the RX330 isn't worth three times as much as a Kia. I believe it is. We all have different tastes and priorities. The car stereo is high priority with me. If you don't wish to upgrade to the ML, that's fine. I am glad I did.
  • hoggrahnhoggrahn Member Posts: 7
    I had a 2000 RX 300 and now have a 2003 RX 300 and I'm thinking about "upgrading" to the RX 330. I've read about the differences on paper and did a quick test drive, but would like some real time experiences from people who have had an RX 300 and now have an RX 330.

I've noticed a different feel to the driver seat and it appears to be not as easy getting in and out. I've also read about the blind spot. Any comments would be a big help in making my decision.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Only had the new RX330 for a week but since we still dirve the 2001 RX330 while it's up for sale it's easy to compare the two.

Improvements in RX330 -

1. Lot more legroom for driver - I'm 6'2" and I never could get comfortable in wife's RX300
    2. Handling is firmer - FWD with reg suspension & 18" rims & Mich MXV4 rubber
    3. 5-spd trans = less rpm on freeways = less noise
    4. Less noise overall at 70 mph highway cruise
    5. Power rear hatch is very handy - not just cool
    6. Gen 3 Nav system better than Gen 2 in our '01
    7. Rear camera - jury still out on how useful
    8. Audio controls a LOT better than '01's touchscreen - no need to take your eyes off the road
    9. Standard non-ML audio better than standard in '01 - no magazines req'd for multi-CD load
    10. Better interior materials, leather, etc.
    11. HID lighting big improvement over non-HID '01
    12. More power - nice, but with dogs we drive at 5/10ths anyway so it's not a biggie
    13. Besides more legroom for me: Biggest Improvement - turning radius! No need to carry a foghorn to signal 3-point turns.

It was also nice to see that competition has kept the RX pricing down to the point where we are actually paying less for the 2004 than we did for a comparable 2001 - even with all the new features we did not have before.

Jeff