Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...the term "Soccer Mom."

Guess there were about 10,200 Soccer Moms that bought RX330s in August. Or 7,000 more than popped for a FX35/45.

Guess they appreciated the better build quality, better interior materials, the higher residuals on leases, no need for premium fuel, better cargo capacity, top rating from new Consumer Reports, etc.

But you already knew all this. And, it must be said, the FX35/45 DOES offer two things that the RX330 can't touch -

1. Better handling & acceleration (not real high on the must-have-in-my-SUV wish list with us Soccer Moms)

2. Immediate delivery plus lots of colors to choose from at each dealer's overflowing lots.

My local Lexus dealer sold so much new inventory in August and early September that he borrowed H2 Hummers and Land Rovers from dealerships down the block to put on his new vehicle lot because all that was left was his used Lexus vehicles.

Ya pays yer money and...
  • george80george80 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a RX330 with premium+ and nav for under 42K. The dealer said there's a towing package included but I could not see anything, not even the wire harness mentioned in the option description. Is the towing package supposed to be invisible like that? I searched the forum with no clear result. Could anyone help please? Thanks.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    sounds like you have a little fx envy. You can't compare these two cars a better comparison to the RX is the murano no the fx. The fx is for real drivers. posers need not apply!
    "Real drivers" in a SUV? lol

You must be the guy with leather gloves, helmet, and goggles when you take that Monster out to cruise the mall...Note: that flame-retardant Nomex suit on your shopping list usually isn't available at the regular mall stores; try "nascarwannabe.com."

No envy - the FX is a good vehicle, just a niche choice for folks that don't use their SUVs in this market segment the way most of us do - space to carry stuff, luxury ride so the canines in the back don't die of concussions before they get to the park, etc.

Hey, Nissan/Infiniti realized that they couldn't go head-to-head with the RX as a high-quality, general purpose midsize SUV and I believe it was a good marketing decision. My particular favorite is that ugly bronze color with the 20" rims; looks like a Conestoga wagon on fire.

So try to enjoy the overly stiff ride in your 2003s (so much a prospective buyer turn-off that Infiniti supposedly has it fixed in the '04s), the higher gas cost for premium, the lousy emergency handling according to Consumers, etc.

Question for you - do you clean and oil that leather helmet every week or bi-weekly? Gotta get me one so I can be a Real Driver too. And some "R-Type" or "Turbo" decals.
    I must admit your posts are absolutely hillarious. It would be a waste of time to argue with you but I will say that you brightened my day. Please enjoy your mobile couch in comfort and I wish you the best. It is now time for me to go wax my driving helmet and take the beast out for a drive (and no I'm not talking about your wife :))
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Well, all I can say is that variety is the spice of life. I looked at the FX, but didn't drive it. It looks too much like a clown car. :-)
    thats why all us drivers have this huge grin painted on our faces :)
  • morenikemorenike Member Posts: 12
    Can anyone report on what gas one is supposed to put in the RX and the highway milage one is getting. Thanks

ps still trying to decide b/t FX and RX :-((

The war on both boards is really helping tho :-)
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    While talking to our local (upstate NY)Lexus dealer sales manager I inquired about the Canadian plant and he said that they will not start shipping until the first of the year. Also, they will, at first, only ship to the North East.

Suggest taking this with a grain of salt.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The FX has a much more capable AWD system but it's looks always remind me of the car with the wagon wheels attached in "Back to the Future".
    Always a sure sign of "higher" intelligence when posters attack somebody's family. Perhaps next we can throw spitballs at each other?

Guess my FX weak points hit home - ouch!

I can accept Soccer Mom and Mobile Couch for RX owners - I'm at an age where the Soccer Mom thing is over with but I certainly appreciate a comfortable couch.

And, Chris, I do appreciate YOUR new acceptance of "Clown Car" for your FX. Can you please spread the word on the FX board that their vehicles have a new name? In advance, thanks.
    I admit the family shot was cheap and I apologize for it. but you must really quit your day job and start writing comedy the rx is nice for what it is but way to tame for my tastes. Even my wife won't drive one I'm only 28 I won't be in the lexus demographic for another 20 yrs or so I'm afraid.
    I just turned 63 and own both an 01 AWD RX and an 01 911 C4.

Demographics, I guess I just don't fit, never have.

Unless you're into off-roading, SERIOUSLY, an SUV "comfortable couch" is likely the best fit.
    The FX actually replaces my sedan. for real SUV duties I plan on getting a sequioa or armada. The FX gave me more performance than my current sedan with the addition of raised seating position, more toys than found on a sedan of similar cost and IMO better styling then most sedans. So I don't care if it isn't as cushy and doesn't hold as much crap as most SUV owners I will have a vehicle that does that well enough. People who like and bought the FX really wern't looking for raised minivans or the quietest interior. They saw a very competitive sport sedan on an awd/rwd platform and with more style and features than say a 530 or audi wagon. Seriously those that cross shop the fx and rx are very few. The RX is a very nice vehicle but if I am going to sacrifice handling, acceleration and breaking power for space and comfort. I am getting as much space and comfort as I can namely in a full size suv.
    I bought my RX for a sedan too. I bought it because it was a new model, and one of the few 2004 available at the time. I like all the features and the Lexus resale and reliability. Since I had the accident, I may go back to a sedan.

I have a Dodge Ram truck for utility and a 911 for sport. The 911 is a "garage queen," and has 1,400 miles.
    You should be ashamed....

Like having a beautiful virgin wife...
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    This forum isn't very helpful. Some of you are so busy chipping away at each other that many questions go unanswered.

I for one, am an RX300 owner and have questions about the 330. I have posted questions here, but no one bothers to answer them. I think some of you should get on a chat line someplace and leave the rest to communicate with those who want some help and information.
    Sometimes we don't know the answers. I don't use my sunroof much, but I don't recall the deflector causing lots of wind noise. Have you test-driven the RX330?
    I haven't driven the 330 because the nearest dealer is 60 miles away. On the 300, when the sunroof is opened, a deflector pops up and while it isn't isn't very big, it causes a lot of wind noise. So, I usually just reach up and hold it down. I was wondering if this problem had been corrected with the 330. All is forgiven if I get an informed response. Thanks.
    to hold my RX330 wind deflector down.

I'm sure WW has a better Home Depot solution.

Seriously now, if that wind noise bothers you, you can install an inexpensive after market plexi wind deflector; good ones are around $50 or so.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Don't have the Tow Pak on my RX330 so no 1st hand knowledge.

But, since your question of "Where's My Tow Package?" demands an in-depth response, why don't you simply ask the Lexus Service Manager when you drop-off the vehicle for its 1000 mile service?

And please post the results here for all the other Tow Package Owners that don't know what it is exactly that they bought.

And by the way, not that I don't appreciate unwarranted criticism as above, but....have YOU contributed any general or specific RX knowledge tidbits to this board?
  • laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    I did ax the service advisor (and the 1-800 person) about the "tow package" which comes with virtually every 330 and was told that it meant that the RX330 was "prewired" for a hitch and included a larger transmission and antifreeze cooler unit. later, ldf

RX330 Black Forest Pearl, now at 8k and doing great (except for the damn navi system)
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    What seems to be a problem? Can't find the way home? Seriously, many say this is a good system except that you can't input anything while the car is in motion. Isn't it true that you can watch DVD movie on the nav. screen (if you have the factory installed DVD player) when the car is in "P" or "D" with emergency brake on.
    I opened my sunroof up this morning, and didn't have any wind noise. My speed didn't top 40 mph though. I really don't use the sunroof much.

I also have the DVD player, but rarely use it. I am always the driver. :( But you can watch the DVD on the navigation screen when the car is in park. The sound (ML) is incredible.
    Is there any buttons to push for watching the DVD on the nav screen? I assume there is a switch to select DVD movie, navigation system and back up camera feature.
    You press the audio mode button to switch to "AUX"

The backup camera only comes on when the car is in reverse.
  • 4253442534 Member Posts: 1
    The understanding I have regarding the tow package is that the hitch receiver had to be redesigned (or something) due to the new location of the spare tire. I was led to believe that eventually the towing package option will cost more when it the factory will have the receiver component ready.

If you need the receiver for something like a bike rack that requires no lights, etc you may be able to find a non-factory option that costs less.
    Thanks, laterldf. That is what the sales person told me when I posed the question to him, bigger radiator, transmission cooler, etc. under the hood. But he could not explain what "wire harness" is and where it is. I had thought the wire harness should be something one can actually see but I could be wrong.

The sales person also said that the manufacturing of RX330 in Canada started sooner than planned and there would be no more Japanese-made RX330's. That led me buying the RX330 with a lot more gadgets than I would have needed or wanted, my first Lexus. I have driven it only once -- from dealer back home. Since then I have been glancing through the 600+ pages of the manual so that I don't break anything with any stupid move. The car is very quiet as I expected. However, I did notice what I suspected to be wind noise when the speed reaches over 40 mph, which I don't remember hearing during the test drive. I have just moved the frontal cross bar backward a little and don't know the result yet.
    I suspect, like me, most owners NEVER open the sunroof, and when I do open it it's usually in the rear tilt-up position to get more exhausting airflow.

Personally with modern day luxury vehicles climate controls being as they are I really don't see the need for a sunroof that opens. Seems to even defeat the purpose IMMHO.

Some of the wind noise can be reduced by simply removing the mostly useless (75 lb limit) crossbars.

Actually I would mostly op for cars without a sunroof if the manufacturers would supply them that way without losing other bundled or "package" options.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Does anyone know if you can "special order" a 330 w/o sun/moonroof? Because of my height I had to get a 300 w/o a sunroof. I had to special order it. By doing this I could get all the options I wanted, unbundled.
  • arlenfickarlenfick Member Posts: 2
    Is the AWD version of the 330 good on steep hills and driveway in snowy and icy weather.

Have 300 but 2wd, and have moved to hilly area this summer and concerned about getting around.

Any input appreciated
  • rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    I drive with my moonroof open quite often and do not hear much windnoise where it is unbearable. When I took delivery of my rx330, the cross bars came installed toward the back (away from the moonroof) of the roof, so this could be the reason I don't experience as much wind noise as others who have posted.
    arlenfick - I guess you can order one (FWD or AWD) without sunroof. It is a part of the Premium or Premium Plus package or individual option. But I think most RX330s has factory installed sunroof. I can't find any RX330 without sunroof on the road. And it may takes time to order one without it. BTW, what tall are you? Did you adjust the seat when you sat on the RX330 with sunroof? I found some tall people without any problem because of their long legs and not the upper body. They can just simply lower the seat. Hope this is the answer.
  • arlenfickarlenfick Member Posts: 2
    lok88---- Thanks for your reply but think you intended it for someone else, as I was looking for driving in snow on hills input
    Sorry. My answer was for avey1.
    over on the Sequoia thread there are some sad stories about the Sequoia getting stuck while in the RX330 AWD "mode" (use of brakes as LSD) and not being able to shift into true 4WD once stuck with spinning wheels.

The RX330 doesn't have the "shifting" option so you'd just be stuck!
  • rycaryca Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone else noted that the RX 330 leaves a tremendous amount of condensation/water on the ground when the air is in use. I have had to put a pail in the garage to catch the excess water. I have never had this much water/condensation come off my other cars. Is this just a very efficient air conditioner or is there something wrong?
    I guess you could order anything you wanted. I actually special-ordered the RX330 three months and the dealer did not mention anything that I MUST have. However, the special order went astry when the dealer informed me that the car was NOT built in Japan as the original order has asked. That was when I bought my RX330 with more options than I would have wanted. If you place a special order now, my guess is that it will be built Canada.

rx4me: Thanks for your information. I agree that the noise was certainly bearable. The RX 330 is definitely more quiet than my Nissan and Honda. Perhaps my expectation is a bit too high.
  • johnnieliujohnnieliu Member Posts: 34
    Where are you located? My dealer in the Pacific NW told me that the West Coast will continue to get RX330 from Japan, and that the East Coast will get the Candian made RX330's. A couple of other people from another board also heard this from their dealer.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Ditto. I've heard the same thing.

And let's not forget a salesman might say something that isn't entirely accurate in order to expedite a sale off his lot. It's been know to happen. ("Yes... that's it... future orders will be built in Canada. If you want one from Japan, you better buy one off of our lot. Hurry!")
  • rowemowerowemowe Member Posts: 11
    Hello All,

For those of you who are using this board as a research vehicle before purchasing an RX 330, I'd like to share my experience.

We've been proud owners of an '01 RX 300 and were excited when we saw the 330 had arrived. Our lease is up next June and we were excited to purchase the new model.

Our 300 is in for maintenance, so we were given a brand new 330 as a loaner. We've put on about 500 miles, both highway and city. Here's my opinion.

For those of you who are new to the RX, it will be a great car. Nice amenities, cool gadgets and people seem to like the look of it. But, if you are a previous RX owner, as my wife and I are, I think you'll be a little disappointed. I felt that the engine noise was unacceptable. It is well known that this is a problem, but it is REALLY unacceptable for a Lexus. The older model was EXTREMELY quiet and this is a major let down, seeing as that's what I'm looking for in a $40K automobile.

Also a big disappointment is how you can FEEL the engine and road vibrations through the steering wheel. When I was researching our purchase of the RX 300, I remember reading that it had an active dampening system which totally eliminated engine and road feel through the wheel. This plus the quiet engine noise made the OLDER MODEL a TRULY LUXURIOUS RIDING SUV.

The 330, on the other hand, feels like the engineers were looking to give it a more sporty feel. Either that or they were giving themselves room for improvement on future models.

My advice is for you to get a test drive for 24 hours. Drive it on the highway with the radio off, as if you just had a hard day at work and are looking for some peace-and-quiet on the ride home. Then drive it around town with varying degrees of acceleration. If you find the noise acceptable, then you'll be pleased with everything else.

The automatic hatch is a cool gadget, the driver side mirror that tilts down while in reverse is annoying and we just turn it off. Only the outside mirror really needs to tilt down. Unfortunately if you turn off this feature, neither mirror will tilt down. Radio features are a nice improvement over previous model, leather is softer, the map holders in the door fold out for easy access, but if you put something heavy in there like the lexus manuals, then whenever you close the car door, the map door flops open.

We are now waiting the arrival of the '04 MDX so we can compare the two. We just test drove an '03 and were impressed with the quiet and smooth ride the Acura had to offer.

Personally I think Lexus made some mistakes, but who am I? The sales numbers for next year will tell the truth.

Hope this helps,

Mike
    I think that's a sign of an efficient system. Can't see how a large amount of water on the garage floor would be a problem.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    It would be interesting to read other comments from drivers of both the 300 and 330.
    Better to dribble out on the floor rather than remain as a thin moisture film on the A/C condensor vanes in preparation for a huge fog bomb on the windshield about five miles down the road on a cooler morning.

But then it is Lexus so you may still get to experience both.
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    I've driven both

Choices are always made on personal preferences--I agree one must drive enough to decide for oneself

Overall, the 330 exhibits improvements in almost every aspect, and the engine noise is exceptable to me--still very quiet

The sales numbers are already telling the truth
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    It would be interesting to read other comments from drivers of both the 300 and 330.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might find some comparisons in Lexus RX 300/330.

Steve, Host
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    We have an RX330 and for us noise is not an issue. The handling is much improved over the 300, which I test drove several times in the past but ended up walking away and choosing something else. The interior of the 300 is very nice, and it's very well built, but I just found it kind of bland to drive. I didn't feel this way when driving the new model, as the steering and handling seemed much sharper. Just my opinion but I've since read reviews that say the same thing. Any Lexus model update should be an improvement, and this one takes several steps forward. For anyone on the fence, I would suggest driving them back-to-back and see for yourself.
    johnnieliu: I am located in Virginia, and the dealer rep did not mention the situation on the West Coast.

I also kind smelled sales talk when the sales rep told me there would be no more Japanese-made RX 330. However, I special-ordered my car back in June. The rep said he actually got the VIN from Canada and the car would be here in a month. I was first given the choice of getting my deposit back and walk away, and then, if I wanted, buying a Japanese-made RX330 with different (basically more) options and different color. I opted for the latter.

I posted earlier that I heard what seemed like wind noise when the speed picked up and then moved the frontal cross bar backward. Either the trick worked or I got used to it, I felt the noise is now acceptable. I have not driven RX300 and so can not compare. However, I test-drove RX330, MDX and ML450 a couple of times each at one of the Lexus events and found the RX330 quieter and absolutely superior in handling.

The power backdoor is pretty cool, but right now I have to disable it because I park the car in the garage. The thought scares me that accidental mishandling of the key might activate the backdoor and cause it to hit the garage door. I find the backup camera extremely useful but can not say the same for the mirror auto tilt. I guess it would be more useful for those who do a lot of parallel parking.

I have mixed feelings (perhaps a little more positive than negative) about the GPS Nav system. First, it is reasonably easy to operate, shows clear routes, its voice guidance accurate, and can lead the drive to anywhere one wants to go. However, there are several problems that I have not figured out how to solve:

- I wonder why I have to select “I Agree” every time before the navigation can be activated. I ‘d rather sign something and mail it to Lexus to save the trouble.
    - The map database is not up to date. A 4-lane major road in my area has been in existence for at least 2 years but when I drove the RX330 on it, the Nav system showed the car was like “swimming in ocean” and kept asking me to “make a legal U turn.”
    - I tried both the “quickest” and “shortest” options but neither would automatically select two-lane roads over single-lane roads for approximately the same distance. There may be other options that can override this but I could not find them.
    - I haven’t figured out how to toggle between screens. For example, after I select the trip information under the category of “Info”, if I check the map/voice briefly, then I can not go back directly to the trip information screen. I have to push the “Info” button and touch the trip information on the screen. It is just one more touch but I wish I could toggle a little. Perhaps somebody can help?

I have driven the RX330 only about 200 miles (about 1/4 highway driving) and the average gas consumption is 18.5 MPG, within the lower end of my expectation.