Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to weigh in here:

dealer13 "Kia Sorento" Oct 21, 2004 6:21am

thanks!

Steve, Host
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I am glad the RX was the right choice for you it is a wonderful car just wasn't right for me.

I live in Texas now where 7 out of 10 vehicles is an SUV or Pickup. I chose the FX as my "Fun Car" because I liked it every since it was a concept and the crash compatibility with larger vehicles on the road. Also I am A Big Guy so I don't fit to well in a lot of smaller cars. The FX has plenty of room and comfort for my needs. It also served me well on a 2500+ mile tripmy family of four took last year. I am looking at a sedan/coupe (m45, Pontiac GTO) for my next fun car purchase but do not know if I can give up all the features and driving position of the FX.

I like the RX and if they put an adjustable suspension with a good sport setting and a beefier steering wheel on the 400H that may also make the list.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Hey, gardencar. Keep up the good hunt, and please let me know what you decide to bring home to your garage.

For what it's worth, I had checked out a used E-Class and a '99 GS400 before I settled on my '00 5-series. This was back in May-July 2002. Even though it was only the 6-cylinder 528i, it was equipped with the sport and premium packages, and I found it to be more interesting to drive than the other models. I liked its steering, handling, and road manners the best. The GS400 was faster, but, in comparison to the BMW, it didn't seem as fun to drive, imo. For the cockpit, I liked both the BMW and the Lexus GS interiors more than the MB. When you consider other factors, such as customer service and long-term reliability, I certainly see why the GS might be at the top of your list.

We used to own a '99 Miata, which was the best value in a sports car we've ever owned. Driving this with the top down almost always brought a smile to my face. I agree that it probably wouldn't be the same if you equip it with an auto instead of a stick. I also like many aspects of the RX-8, except for the poor fuel economy. I think Edmunds is averaging only 17-18 mpg on their long-term RX-8 tester. I've seen other RX-8 owners complain about poor mileage within these forums. There is something about that little rotary engine that drinks down the gasoline. I find it amazing that a practical and reasonably powerful SUV like the RX330 gets better gas mileage than a little lightweight sports car! In fact, I believe the RX330 2WD model has a higher highway EPA rating than either the RX-8 or the IS300.
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    I'm glad the FX is working out so well for you. In general, my younger friends (early twenties) prefer its styling and agility. A majority of my older friends (late thirties) however, prefer the RX. Seems like you stirred up a baby hornet's nest. Thanks!

It's great when we can agree to disagree.
    Hey, cotmc. Thanks for your helpful thoughts, they are appreciated. I had forgotten that your moniker had come from the fact that you've had so many different vehicles over the years. Seems that we share similar tastes in vehicles.

We were looking at the eight cylinder models because in the used car market, they seem to give you the best bang for your buck. I also think the Bimmer was the most fun to drive, but I agree that in longevity and reliability, the GS400 has a decided edge.

Things have been somewhat hectic around here, so the burn to buy our "fun" car has cooled somewhat. We aren't in dire need at the moment, so we intend to savor and enjoy the "hunt", as you aptly put it. We will definitely let you know what finally ends up in our garage.

Never did hear if you and your family took a road trip to Clear Lake in July, or decided on a different destination. We were there in early July before travelling out of state for the remainder of it. Happy motoring!
    Somebody else posted a similar question regarding the RX, except that they wanted opinions on which of the RX's colors were more feminine and which more masculine. I've never really thought of cars this way. IMO, they are unisex and the person driving them determines whether it is more masculine or feminine.

But FYI, since my wife is a stay at home mom, it was agreed I would be using it more of the time for business or our trips to the lake, when we weren't towing anything. As it turned out, my wife prefers driving our Explorer, and like a good husband, I acquiesced to her wishes and now am the primary driver of the RX330.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Hey Everyone! Just checking in to give an update on my experience thus far. Most of you know I spent ALOT of time (about 1.5 years) lurking on the boards and trying to find the right fit for me. Well I went with the RX and I LOVE IT. I average about 23 mpg on my tank (I have a 2WD), I have grown to love and appreciate the auto windshield wipers, and the quiet ride is UNDENIABLE. So far so good. I have not had any of the problems others had mentioned before (knock on wood), and my husband loves to drive it as well. Although, he is looking at the GS and LS for himself right now. Just wanted to give an update, and I will continue to lurk.
  • hfanghfang Member Posts: 31
    My wife was in a rear end accident about a month ago (her RX rear ended someone) and resulted in quite a bit of damage (about $22K) - front airbags deployed, and the front was pretty much caved in, but no engine issues as far as I can tell. Just got it back, and it looks great and rides as before. Our intent when we purchased this car was to keep it for a long time (7+yr, 100+K miles); would you guys trade it in and get a new one, or keep it as originally planned? We're not upside down on the car, or anything that would prohibit trading in the car-

Thanks-
  • hfanghfang Member Posts: 31
    Her RX truly runs as new (right now), and all the replacement parts were new. But the entire front (fenders, hood, front doors, etc) were all repainted (flint mica). What kind of hit would it take at trade in if that were the course we were to take?

Thanks-
    Check out Pricing used vehicles involved in accidents/reconditioned, especially posts about diminution in value of a vehicle after a wreck.

Oh, nevermind, you found it.

Steve, Host
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The e-brochure for the AWD 2005 RX330 at Lexus.com indicates that the VC, viscous coupling, is back for 05.

True?
  • babysnowbabysnow Member Posts: 48
    what is viscous coupling?
  • battambangbluebattambangblue Member Posts: 11
    I was coming back from a store, and I noticed a nail on my tire. The nail appears to go at an angle, but not into the sidewalls.

So, I drive back home and try to figure out how badly damaged the tire is. I got some pliers and pulled it out. The nail was about and 1 inch long. The surprising thing is that the tire didn't deflate at all. I checked it out the next day and the tire seems to be find.

I will eventually have to get a new tires, my tire tread is showing signs of wear already. Anybody know a good place to get some new tires. I have the 18 inch rims. The dealer charges $215 a piece for Michelin tires.
    Sorta like an LSD, limited slip differential but done with molasses and clutch disks.
    Recently you submitted a question to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 120 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

You may also update this question by replying to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.
    [===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question here.

Subject
    No Summary

Discussion Thread
     Response 10/27/2004 09:41 AM
    Dear Mr. West,

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction regarding the 2005 RX 330. We appreciate your interest in this vehicle.

Per our technical department, the 2005 RX 330 does not have a viscous coupling LSD. The vehicle has adopted a full-time all-wheel drive system. We are sorry for the misinformation.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
    Lexus Customer Satisfaction

Customer (Willard West) 10/26/2004 04:59 PM
    The current 2005 RX330 e-brochure indicates that the 2005 AWD RX330 has the viscous coupling again.

Is this actually true or is this a typo?

Willard West
    www.tirerack.com is currently selling the 18" Michelin tires (for RX330) at $128 each. Considering you'll pay a small additional fee for shipping and for mounting, you might see if a local chain can come close to matching tirerack's prices (i.e., $160 or less, per tire, "out the door" -- after adding all the dealer fees and taxes). If not, have no fear with tirerack. I've used them several times, and they seem to be very popular within these automotive enthusiast forums.

PS: I would never pull out a nail on my own. Most tire dealers (incl dealers that do not sell that brand of tire) are willing to assess and repair a flat. For about $10, they dismount the tire, examine the puncture, and apply an appropriate plug.
    A few of the big chains, at least out West, will do that free - I've had several flats fixed gratis at Les Schwab, and I think Big O does the same.

Steve, Host
    Cotm is right about not pulling out the nail. It is the only thing that might be preventing rapid deflation of your tire.

Nowadays, many places don't even dismount the tire. They simply insert a plug, and off you go. It takes all of ten minutes.
    Hi, ladyofluxury. Glad to hear you are back. I guess you must have been busy keeping us safe here at home, through all that's been happening in Iraq.

Good to hear you are enjoying worry free times in your RX. Your husband can't go wrong with either the GS or the LS. I know the LS430 is a sweet ride. The GS is due for a facelift next year. You might want to wait until you see one. Good Luck.
    Steve: I don't know much about Les Schwab, but it sure seems his brother Charles isn't doing such a great job of keeping things inflated during the past few months. And to add insult to injury, Charles charges $19.95! ;-)
    I think Les's financials are better, but he's selling something tangible :-)

Steve, Host
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Does anyone where to get a good deal on OEM mudguards? The local dealer part dept. price for 127.30 for the set (front & rear mud guards)

Thanks
  • hsandyhsandy Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everybody,

I'm checking into the RX 330 and was wondering if someone could give me a measurement of the cargo floor length when the back seat is folded down. I haven't been able to find this measurement anywhere. I have to carry a piece of equipment from time to time and this measurement is important as to whether the RX330 would work for me or not.

Thanks,

HS
    HS,

The cargo floor length will vary a little based on the location of the front seats. For my normal seating position (I'm 6 ft tall), I measured 71" along the cargo floor from the back of the driver's seat to the rear door. (In all honesty, I could easily move the seat forward at least another 1", maybe 2", to provide a little extra cargo space, when needed.)

This measurement drops by 3" if the cargo is greater than 3-4" tall, due to curvature of the seatbacks. This measurement will drop a little further for tall (>2ft) cargo, due to the curved rear hatch door.

Hope this helps, and hope these measurements work for you.
  • hsandyhsandy Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply!

HS
  • mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
    I saw a recent post referencing active steering on the RX 330 for 2005. I saw no reference to this feature on the Lexus website. Can anyone tell me what it is and how it affects the drive. I love the look of the car, but when I drove a 2004 I was somewhat dissappointed with the cushy feel. I did not get a strong sense of road feel that you get when driving a BMW. Does this feature (if it exists) change that? Does the optional air suspension add anything to the sportiness of the vehicle. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
    BMW or MB, don't remember which, has added an open differential in the stearing box with a servomotor at the other input, opposite the stearing wheel shaft.

The idea is to use the servomotor to vary the stearing ratio as circumstances warrant. But the big part of this "invention" is to be able to counterstear against your input should the vehicle not be able to remain stable with your wider, unmodified, inputs.

Touted as being faster reacting than the current, VSC, PSM, etc, brake modulation method.

Sorta like that airbus that went down in the french forest years ago, the fly-by-wire system decided that the pilot was asking to climb too rapidly and so it "counter-steared" the elevators to prevent the airplane from climbing above the trees.

Gee, the computer didn't see those trees!

Not saying that Lexus' active stearing is the same as above.....
    You must have missed my other reply about the Airbus Wwest - I think your version is an urban legend.

steve_ "Toyota Highlander" Sep 12, 2004 11:33am

Steve, Host
    It was certainly the pilot's error to have gotten into a circumstance wherein he needed more climb rate than the airframe could produce without be overstressed, having the wings buckle...

But in the end the simulations indicated that although the airframe would have likely been severely overstressed to the point of being scrap metal the likelihood that, had not the firmware limited the climb level, all would have survived was confirmed.

Regardless, I'll always make my own call to recover from a skid, if I crash it will definitely be pilot error.
    If you like I can arrange an interview with one of the Boeing engineers who was key to writing the specifications for the 777 fly-by-wire flight control firmware and/or one of the QA folks who was responsible for confirming that the 777 firmware had no such limitations, intentional or other wise.

No, the airbus firmware flaw is based on actual fact.
    Well, the various web sites are out there for anyone interested in pursuing the Airbus case.

I am headed your way for Thanksgiving, but I'm going to be swamped with family obligations. But thanks for the offer!

Steve, Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    I am headed your way for Thanksgiving, but I'm going to be swamped with family obligations. But thanks for the offer!
    i am headed to my wife's brother's for turkey day. they have two rx330's. we'll show in our explorer for the umtienth(?)time. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tsheertsheer Member Posts: 23
    Actually, what happened was the pilot was eating Pop Rocks and drinking a Coke. I can introduce you to the guy who stocks the Coke machines at Boeing.
    If you should find time to share a moment you can reach me via strobe data inc.
  • babysnowbabysnow Member Posts: 48
    optional air-ride does help the car feel sportier if it's in low mode. however, i believe the air-ride option is taken out of the '05 models so you'd have to hunt down a '04 model if you want adjustable suspension.
  • bronxkidbronxkid Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2004 RX 330 with premium plus package. Everything was fine with the car until I drove it at night on the highway. The HID headlights were not adequate in illuminating the road ahead on the driver's side. I could only see objects about 35 feet ahead. This is not too safe when driving at highway speeds of 60-70 mph. I would check out the car at night on a domly lit street or highway before buying the car with HID headlights. Let me know what you think after testing the car out.
    Adjust the driver's side headlamp upward and to the right slightly so the beam pattern illuminates the right side of the roadbed just forward of the passenger side headlamp beam pattern.

You will be able to see significantly farther down the road but still will not be "glaring" into oncoming driver's eyes.
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    Look in the 2004 RX-330 Owner's Manual on page(s) 613 - 614 "....Adjusting Headlamp Aiming".

This shows where the vertical and horizontal screw adjustments are located and a basic description of how to adjust the aim.

Now take your car to to your dealer's service tech and ask them to make an adjustment of the aim. Just a few ticks upward makes all the difference in the world.

If for some reason they won't do it, saying that it's "in spec" etc. just adjust it yourself or have an auto mechanic help you out for cheap. Just don't adjust them TOO MUCH! Just a little bit will go a long way.
    What I generally do is back it straight out of the garage at least 30 feet or as far as possible, close the garage door, turn the headlights on and then mark the center point, or circle the entire beam pattern, of the driver's side headlamp pattern.

Then I adjust to move the driver's side beam pattern to the right just ever so slightly and then upward slightly. Adjust in small increments until the pattern is correct for night driving.
    9,500 preorders

Talk about it in the Lexus RX 400h discussion.

Steve, Host
  • volaravolara Member Posts: 5
    did anybody have any experience with those "clear bra" things and could provide any info regarding whether they are worth the money and what are the good sources to get them?

Thanks,
    While waiting for responses in here, check out the Car front end protective bras & film discussion.

Steve, Host
  • anitamartyanitamarty Member Posts: 7
    If custom seat covers are installed on the rear seats of the RX330, do the covers have to be removed to enable the folding down of the rear seats?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Lexus will be unveiling in Detroit next month the 2005 RX 330 Thundercloud limited edition. It will include:

1. Exclusive Thundercloud Metallic paint and gray leather interior.

2. Special five-spoke alloy wheels with contrasting color.

3. More aggressive front grille.

4. Special edition emblems on front doors and floor mats.

5. Black Bird's Eye Maple interior wood trim.
  • lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    I had digishield installed when I purchased by 330 in August 2003. At the time I didn't get the full package but after I discovered a small rock chip on the front bumper, I had the digishield installed there as well.

I love it. My RX is Bamboo Pearl and on most days I can't even see it. It has provided excellent protection... no rock chips in the places where it was installed. My husband opted not to get the clear bra for his Mercedes and now he regrets it. We will have to spend a small fortune fixing the rock chips on the Benz.

Hope this helps...
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    Morning all! My wife's RX330 has 5k miles on it, and she has recently noticed a rotten egg small from the vehicle after turning the vehicle. Usually after moderate driving. I know this can be from catalytic convertor, electronic emissions problems, etc. The car was at the dealer for the 5K check up, and they went over it from top to bottom and couldn't find anything. (Even the loaner they gave her had the smell when turning it off.) Could this be "normal" for the vehicle? or is there something very specific I need to direct the service guys to check out? Thanks!

Alan
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I had same problem w/ wife's RX330. It's mold coming from the air conditioner condenser evaporator box. Dealer tech didn't have a clue. Someone suggested putting disinfectant in intake vents for air conditioner and running it. Alternatively run the air conditioner on high with recirculating mode OFF so fresh air from outside circulates and will dry out evaporator box.

Why doesn't Lexus have a fix for this?
    The rotten egg smell, sulphur, is not the evaporator.

The odor from the evaporator is that of "dirty gym socks"....

For a permanent fix for the latter see:

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html

More information?

Google search for wwest & demist

Or:

wwest & odor
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I'm not sure I can distinguish a "dirty gym socks" odor but I feel confident that the stink is coming from the air conditioner because it only occurs when I turn on the air conditioner after it's been off for several days. After I run the AC on high (Automatic) and suck in enough air from the outside, the smell goes away.

Good reference to the airsept.com web site.
    The dirty gym socks odor, mould and mildew, is much more likely to develop in the more southern US states. A/C use throughout the day and moderately warm temperatures, 65-75F, during the nights.

Not saying it doesn't "breed" otherwise.