Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• ab1ab1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I've just received my BMW X3 3.0i, and the dealer tried to sell me their protection packages:

1- a thin film to protect from bugs and road dirt

2- a glossy coating that covers the whole car to protect pain from acid rain etc.

The dealer said Lexus offered these packages before BMW did. Has anybody tried thoese? Any recommendations? Do you think I should go for them?

Thanks.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Waste of Money....

Protection packages are a way for the dealer to line his pockets and nothing else.
  • lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    We have the digishield (thin coating to protect from bugs but more importantly from rock chips) on the front bumper, front part of the hood and the adjacent sides and the back of the side mirrors on our RX330. We've had it for over a year and we love it. Not a single rock chip to date.

As a said in an earlier message, my husband now wishes he had put the digishield on his Mercedes. Our package cost around $300.00 from the Lexus dealer if I remember correctly.

I would agree with wwest that the glossy paint protection is probably a waste of money.
  • zoomazooma Member Posts: 19
    We just picked up our new 2005 Rx330 with Navi. today, and it does not seem to be as current as it should be. For example, my home address is not recognized, even though we have lived here -- on a real street(!) -- for over 5 years. Our Acura MDX Navigation system recognizes this address just fine.

Is there some update that our new RX330 should have installed, or should I just not expect the Lexus Navi. to be as awesome (i.e., detailed) as my MDX Navi.?
  • hage57hage57 Member Posts: 24
    I just had the nav update completed on my 04 LS 430 and it is much improved. However, my wife's 04 RX 330's nav system is equally as bad as the LS 430, is there an update for the 04 RX 330, or can we use the same dvd as in the 430?
  • springspring Member Posts: 7
    Just took my AWD RX330 two weeks ago. Good price, just $200 over the invoice and no documentation fee.

I love the control and the interior, but am so so disappointed by the wind/road/engine noise. My wife and I had a Corolla and both of us agree that the noise insulation of RX is not any better, if not worse. I just sent the car to the dealer to check for leak. We took a loaner and it is equally noisy! I already tried tapping the windows down a little bite as suggested by some discussions; nothing happened.

How many owners have the same problem? Can you share your experience of fixing the problem? Thank you.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    I don't notice any unusual road noise from our '04 RX330. It doesn't have AWD though.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    To Lexus owners who have owned both versions. Which vehicle is your preference? I own a 2001 RX300 and, aside from the large turning radius, I absolutely think itis a great car, but give thought to trading. Some owners of the 330 I have spoken to who have owned both, prefer the older model. Any thoughts?
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I have received the recall notice to replace the brake light switch on my 2004 RX330.

Does anyone have a thought on the urgency of this? Could I wait a couple of months?
    I have owned both and the 330 is far superior. The turning radius is a noticeable improvement, but also the extra power and power back door are obvious. You will agree if you buy a 330.
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    I agree with finch3 - our 2004 330 is a much better car than our 2000 300. In addition to the power rear door and smaller turning radius, the radio and air conditioning controls are much improved. If you get the nav system, the backup camera is very handy, particularly at night. There are many other minor improvements that demonstrate to me that Lexus engineers did their homework when they updated the RX design.
  • rx330ownerrx330owner Member Posts: 16
    I have an 04 rx330, thinking of trading it for another with a Navigation system, Mark Levinson audio and Laser cruise control. Are they worth the extra money? Would like to from those that have these options and your experience with them.
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    Hey..we have an 03 LX470, and an RX 330...both have Navigation. I would NEVER have a vehicle without it. Well worth the money, and very easy to use and understand. Go for it! From what I understand from my salesperson (take with a grain of salt), the Lexus navigation software and display has won awards. (maybe, maybe not)

But despite what he says, we really like the navigation.

Best,

Alan
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Does the 330 seem much larger than the 300?

Thanks
    Can't say the 330 is noticeably larger than the 300. I like that size and call it "just right".

I could pass up the HID headlights. Mostly, they are a bother. Have no need for Nav, would be a bother. Also, I like that you can select either 3rd or 4th gear and stay there. I call that a Driver's Option.
    are a great help at night if you're amongst the older generation like me.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    This is my third RX (previously '99 & '01), and by far the '04 is much more superior. Other than what finch3 and sandiegotom have described, I opted for the Performance Package and especially enjoy the air suspension with the sequential shifting which make the handling much more sportscar-like and more fun to drive. I'm hoping the new 400h would have this option as well.
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    My '04 RX330 hit the 10,000 mi mark, recently.

The cost of a 10,000 mile service, oil $ lube, rotate tires, inspect ball joints, and various other inspections at local Lexus Service: $139.99 plus complimentary car wash. No loaner.

The cost of same 10,000 mile service at a local, trusted service garage: $40.39! No car wash, no loaner, no problem. For this particular service, I can "rough it"!
    Your dealer already won this round, second service should be at 15,000 miles.
    I called my dealer about the brake light switch recall and they said they need to order the part. Will take about a week. They seemed to think it was something that should be taken care of ASAP.
  • ildriverildriver Member Posts: 7
    I just had my 10,000 mile check at my dealership for $75 ($100 minus a $25 coupon they sent me as a Holiday gift). I also had the recall done at the same time. They gave me a loaner car but I really didn't need it as they called me after 90 minutes that both were done. GREAT SERVICE from my Lexus dealer. I've had my RX330 for almost a year and I just am 100% pleased with it.
    Brake circuit electrical is used to "kill" the cruise control when you step on the brakes. Additionally I presume that it might fail and provide no warning to the driver behind.

I wouldn't use the cruise control in the interim were I you.
  • silvereagle2silvereagle2 Member Posts: 23
    I own an'04 RX330 with the premium package, NAV, 18" wheels, HID lights and more. I traded an '01 RX 300 with premium, NAV and HID and we think the '04 is so much more car. The NAV screen is larger than the '01 RX and about the same size as my wife's '01 GS300. I don't know about problems that other RX 330 owners have had, but we have not had any problems with 4000 miles on it now. I did complain about poor gas mileage and they adjusted the computer. We now get a combined 19-21 mpg city/highway and 23mpg strictly highway. It handles much better than our 101. BTW, this is our 5th Lexus -we've had 2 ES 300s, 1 RX300 and now the 2001 G300 and 2004 RX 330. We will never own any other car but a Lexus.
    I just purchased the new mud guards for my RX330. The retail price is $122.10, outrageous for four pieces of molded plastic. However, got the parts tech to give me a 20%, good customer discount and paid $97.68, instead. (I know http://www.irontoad.com has them for $88. But, plus shipping and handling, and the wait, and I was already at Lexus...)

At first glance, they looked pretty puny when compared to the ones on previous SUVs I've owned. Heck, they looked puny when compared to the ones on my neighbor's Civic! They seem to drop down for only 2" both front and rear. It made me wonder just how much mud they could actually keep away from my vehicle! After I inspected them more closely they seemed better made and more sophisticated than other mud guards. I decided that maybe those Lexus people knew what they were doing when they designed these wee guards.

I haven't put them on yet, might put them on myself or have a nearby garage do it for $35.

I'd like to hear about experiences from anyone who's had them installed already. Like, do they really work? They seem a wee bit puny.
  • dorothykdorothyk Member Posts: 31
    We just purchased a 2005 Lexus RX330 2WD a few months ago. I was riding in the back seat (behind the driver) and noticed some strange marks on the carpet in the front passenger foot wheel. When I took a closer look, I discovered that Lexus had actually stapled the carpet in place leaving staple marks on the carpet. The floor mat covers about half of the staples.

Do all the RX330 have staples in the carpet?
  • tolexustolexus Member Posts: 2
    My wifes 2004rx is now into its second winter in Canada. The mudguards are small but effective in keeping snow and dirt off the sides and rear.

Like post 3331 we have "staples" through the carpet on both the driver and passanger side. Strange to see on a luxury vehicle.

My wife loves her rx but we've had the transmission shift issues, multiple squeaks in the dashboard, and now cracked windsheilds from stress cracks. The lexus dealer in toronto has been excellent resolving all the issues except the dash rattles which are getting worse. My 2003 MDX is prooving to be a higher quality and more durable vehicle.
  • ildriverildriver Member Posts: 7
    I had to check mine, but didn't see any staples. My vehicle was manufactured in Japan, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
  • dorothykdorothyk Member Posts: 31
    Our car was also built in Japan. The dealer has indicated that this is the normal way all RXs are made but offered to have their carpet guy take a look to see what he could do. This is so blatantly cheap you have to wonder whether Lexus has forgot their motto "The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection". Oh by the way, we also have increasing levels of squeaks and rattles.
    Hi,

Thanks for the feed back on those mud guards. It's good to know that they will work because they aren't much to look at.

One thing, the guys who installed them informed me that they had to use their own, larger double sided tape to make the left rear mudflap stay flush on the upper corner. I had to agree that the little strips of adhesive that Lexus put on the inside of the outer edges of the mudguards looked pretty flimsy and Mickey Mouse. They told me that I might have to occasionally replace the adhesive if the rear parts of the mud flaps ever came unglued. I'm hoping the double sided tape can withstand seepage from road splash and regular washes.

Guess I'll have to look for waterproof double sided tape.
  • gizmo2gizmo2 Member Posts: 8
    You're kidding right? The mudguards are double sided taped onto the car??? I'm about to pickup my RX this weekend and thought about getting the mudguards. Aren't they usually screwed onto the car?
    Yes, they're screwed onto the car, in the wheelwell area. However, the rear parts stretch rearwards a couple of inches, and must be stuck with double sided tape, onto the contuored, black, plastic bottom door sills.

If you want the guards, get them to include the mud guards as part of your price, or at least throw in the installation for free. Good luck.
  • philsyphilsy Member Posts: 2
    My wife has fallen in love with the 330 and our new baby in due in 6 weeks. My friend, however has tried to talk me out of buying the car because of the limited storage area for stroller, diaper bag, groceries, etc. He suggested I look at the mdx because of the larger space issues. Does anyone have small children and have any issues like this?

Thanx,

Phil
  • farfigfarfig Member Posts: 4
    I don't think I'd agree on the rear cargo space...with the third row seat, I would expect that the MDX space decreases considerably (whether its folded up or down). I've never run short of space. My sister, her husband and their 2 child-seat kids drove my car for a week and loved it...and they have the Honda Pilot.

One thing to consider though...if more kids are on the way (or already here) the 3rd row in the MDX will come in handy.

As for the MDX vs. the Lexus...its not much of a comparison in my opinion. I almost bought the MDX in '03 but waited for the 330 to come out in the Fall -- the fit and finish blows the MDX away, and I think that the ride is better.
    I ordered the Navi on my 04 rx330 primarily because I was living in LA at the time...and Navi there is essential if you want to get around anywhere outside your own neighborhood. Since then, I've moved to Chicago...and I'm hooked. Whenever I drive another car, I find myself constantly looking over to find the screen! I like to know where I'm going, and if I get stuck in traffic or construction or in an unfamiliar place, its great to be able to look at the screen and quickly determine an alternate route. I only use the actual programming maybe 10% of my trips. It is a pain that you can't use it while the car is moving...understandable, but if I have a passenger they should be able to use it. On our Acura RX the Navi can be used while in motion. The resolution and information is great to have...but I do find that i'm already in need of a new disc as many newer streets are not on the list. As for the sound system, I don't have it, but love the "basic" one I got. Laser Cruise Control: If you drive long distances with cruise control, it would probably be a nice feature...otherwise, I'd skip it.
    If you just picked up the car, I would go back to the dealer. Maybe it sat on the lot for awhile and you got an '04 or '03 disk? I have an '04 purchased 9/03 and am just now getting to the point where I frequently find that I'm missing streets. If I were buying new today, I'd demand the most recent disk.
    No problem! We have a three year old plus a 20 lb. dog. The dog travels in the back in her dog kennel, with the stroller, a large cooler, a medium travel bag, two tackle boxes, several fishing poles, a large box of toys, and I can still see plenty, out the back window.

We also have an Explorer and I would say the cargo areas are comparable.

I also picked up four relatives at the airport and stuffed five large bags in to the RX. This time, I couldn't see out the back window, but everything fit.

We also thought that the quality, ride, fit and finish of the RX were much superior to the MDX. Don't forget that the MDX is a much larger vehicle, as wide and long as the LX470.
  • gottlsgottls Member Posts: 21
    This afternoon I was checking out Lexus's home page re: the RX 330, and the main window showed a picture of a Special Edition RX Thundercloud. Checking their web site this evening is was gone and no where to be found, but here are the statements that were presented.

MSRP: FWD $36,975 AWD $38,375

Exclusive Thundercloud Metallic and Flint Mica exterior color

Exclusive Black bird'-eye maple wood trim and light gray interior color combination.

New horizontal front-grille desigh inspired by the GX/LX

Exclusive badging on front doors and floors mats

The front grille really made a big difference in the appearance. The other big difference was the Nav was not offered with the Premium Plus package, however it was moved to the Mark Levinson package. For what I remembered it was a price increase of 2 to 3 thousands.
    Took my RX330 to the dealer today to have the recall headlight switch replaced. While there, I asked them to try to adjust the HID lights because they seemed too low. The service person said the mechanic said there was quite a bit of adjustment possible and he did it. Haven't been out to see the difference. There was no charge for either repair.
  • gilk3914gilk3914 Member Posts: 5
    I rode in the GX470 the other day and found the front seat depth way too shallow, hits me upper-mid thigh. Is the RX330 deeper? How about the XC90?

Also any new news on the RX350?
  • lola1234lola1234 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2yr old and a 8yr old and the 330 is the perfect family size suv. Not to big and not to small. The MDX is a bit wider and can fit the stroller,diaper bag,etc...nicely but the 330 fits these just fine. If your looking for quality go with the 330 much quiter and smoother ride. I got out of my MDX and got into my lovely crystal white 330. After driving around town in the MDX, I just found it to wide, to hard to park at times. no compact parking for MDX!!!The 330 just perfect and you can park it just about anywhere. My favorite feature is the power rear door. Trust me you will love it too. Good luck with your decision and congrats with new baby!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You seem to be the only recent poster who complained about excessive brake pressure being required, and that was back in June.

Others have complained:

Brake complaints involving Lexus SUVs investigated (Kansas City Star)

The current Spotlight ad on the main Edmunds.com page is the RX 330.

Steve, Host
  • shawshankmanshawshankman Member Posts: 9
    Echo Lola's comments. Cargo capacity is excellent, plenty of room for family of 4. I'm 6'4" and it feels like I'm driving around in my living room. Very happy with the sound system, and all the bells and whistles, especially the power rear hatch.

I'm sorry, but I feel like a million bucks driving around in a 330. The MDX and XC90 are nice looking, but the RX is one of a kind in my book.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    I think the cargo space could be better, but I'm not willing to sacrifice length. The slope of the back cuts into the total space. Four sets of golf clubs really fills up the back and not much room after that.
  • lexusguy311lexusguy311 Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a 2005 RX330 and I couldn’t be happier. This is my first luxury car purchase and all I can say is this thing is awesome! The RX330 is beautiful; defiantly number in its segment. I looked at several SUV’s including the Pilot, XC90, X3, and the MDX. The RX330 by far outshines all these vehicles in overall value. All the other vehicles had something I did not like: The Pilot was to bulky and frankly to big for my wife and I, the XC90 lacked in rear leg room and headroom (I am 6’3”), The X3 was my second favorite due to handling, but the interior wasn’t as plush as the 330’s, and the MDX lacked in the quality of leather and styling. The RX330 won out due to its plush interior (the best leather I have ever seen and touched), its styling, which I see lasting for years to come, and the quite and refined ride of a Lexus. My favorite things are the auto lifting rear gate and the Mark Levinson audio system. I am very happy with my purchase and I look forward to participating on this board regularly.
  • maxamigamaxamiga Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed that the left front light swings more than the right front light in my RX330 with AFS. Left light swings more to the left (when you turn left), than the right light swings more to the right (when you turn right).

Dealer tried to tell me that it was designed this way. ???? Have anyone else experienced this?
  • gottlsgottls Member Posts: 21
    It should be mentioned in the car manual. I've know about it for some time doing my research on the car. I placed my order 10 days ago and expect to get it the last week of March. As far as the left and right lights being different, this was mentioned in the TV commercial and also at several car shows in the area.
    Clue: In England the right light swings farther....
  • buddhabbbuddhabb Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I'm planning to purchase a RX330 and I was wondering if there's enough room in the cargo area for two large dogs. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a French Mastiff and it's important that both dogs and fit in the cargo area. I also have a toddler so one of the dogs sitting in the back seat isn't an option. Thanks!
    Do you know when the next year's model will be coming out? I'm debating on buying the car now or waiting a couple of months for the next year's model. I know that 2006 400 hybrid will be out in April but I'm not interested in a hybrid car.
    I apologize if this question is stupid or obvious but can someone explain to be the difference between AWD and FWD? I need a car that can perform in snow. Is one better than the other? Feedback is much appreciated.