Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• dorothykdorothyk Member Posts: 31
    Where did you see elevation and altitude information? If it was in the upper left hand corner of the map view screen, that number is the map scale not the altitude.
  • adamhoadamho Member Posts: 32
    No it was on the top right hand corner. I was asking the salesman to show me the new navagation. I have an 04 with the older nav in it. As he was showing it to me it made me think of a post on here where someone was asking if it showed altitude & elevation. He showed me it when we were looking at it. Trust me it does show it. If you question what I am saying call up or go to a local Lexus dealer and see it for youself. Im 100% positive it has it.
  • dorothykdorothyk Member Posts: 31
    Sorry if you misread my tone. I own a 2005 RX 330 and have read the navigation manual a few times. Obviously, I missed this nice feature. Do you by chance remember what screen the information was on? I still cannot find any altitude data on my system.
  • elixiselixis Member Posts: 1
    Prodn starts in Sep 06. The engine is likely to be bigger - 3.5 liter is what the journals say. Expect to hit the market soon after.
  • gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Hey, legendman. Great helpful info on the complete TSB's and tire choices.

About AWD, I would get it. Whether you get snow or not in your area, I know that even in SoCal, it rains. I know this year you guys got drenched! AWD is great to have on slippery asphalt when it's raining. Besides, it's better to have it and maybe not need it, than to need it and not have it. So, I'd get it! ( I did.)
  • sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    This morning, while doing about 75 on windy I-10 in the Palm Springs area, I heard a sudden loud metallic banging noise coming from the right rear. On stopping for inspection, I found that the black plastic trim piece around the far aft triangular window had come mostly loose and was banging against the upper fender. The trim piece is positioned by three plastic studs and fastened by double-sided tape. I've replaced it using new sticky tape, but am wondering if I should have the dealer look at it. Any experience or opinions on this?
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Doesn't that quote also apply to horsepower? ("Better to have lots of it and maybe not need it...")

Hey, gardencar! Good to hear from you after all these months.

Whether AWD or FWD, I wouldn't want to drive an SUV without dynamic stability control. (I believe Lexus refers to this feature as "VSC".) I've read several reports that conclude Dynamic Stability Control plays a major role in preventing single vehicle accidents and, most importantly, rollovers. I'm sure AWD helps further, especially in circumstances when controlled acceleration is required on slick surfaces. Here in AZ, I think we're ok with 2WD.
  • louiein99louiein99 Member Posts: 33
    Quick question. I have checked the Lexus website as well as several others trying to determine whether the RX330 is supposed to get premium or regular unleaded fuel. I thought I had it figured out...the FWD receives regular and the AWD receives premium. But, then during my search I found sites that contradict each other and even themselves. Edmunds even mentions that it is regular in one spot, but then a review says that it takes premium. Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our Standard Features pages say both 2005 models require regular unleaded fuel and you should be able to confirm this by reading the label on the fuel flap or looking in the owner's manual. (AWD link)

The 2004's required premium - maybe this is the review you saw that mentioned this.

I'm sure actual owners in here can verify this as well. (hint) ;)

Steve, Host
  • macarshoppermacarshopper Member Posts: 12
    '05 RXs specs call for regular unleaded.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Here's what my 2005 RX 330 owner's manual says, verbatim:

"GAS STATION INFORMATION"

"Fuel Selection:
    Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended."

My manual has "2005 TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION" printed on the back cover. The letters "kU-4" are prominently printed in bold black letters on the upper right portion of the back cover.

Do they mean that we are to "select" (choose) an octane rating of 87 or higher, or does "select" mean something else in this context, like a technical term?
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "Anyone know the difference between a "Select Octane Rating and a Research Octane Rating"?"

I believe they are telling you to"select" octane rating 87. This is the pump Octane (M+R)/2

This may help also..it explains the way octane #s are calculated

link title Scroll down a couple of pages to see the calculator
    The What about fuel types & gas mileage? discussion may also be of interest. Check out this post if you don't want to skim the whole board:

shipo, "What about fuel types & gas mileage?" #136, 2 Apr 2005 11:42 am

Steve, Host
    Thanks for all of the info guys, and Steve you were right on with the review I referred to. Not to beat a dead horse, but in reference to the guy with the manual. So by using regular, we should not expect to attain Lexus' performance claims? Or should we expect to exceed the performance noted by Lexus and others if we choose premium? Finally, isn't the RX330 basically the same mechanically from '04 to '05, so why would the fuel recommendation change from one year to the next...marketing ploy??? By the way, I am in the market for an 04 or 05 luxury SUV and naturally I am trying to learn as much as possible about all of my front runners (BMW X3 and X5, Volvo XC90, MDX, Treg...would check out the Infiniti FX, but my brother already beat me to that one) first.
    OK, I followed the link thanks. But, I still don't know which fuel to use because we don't know the MON number they tell you to plug in to their calculator.

So, bottom line, will this 2005 RX run ok on 89 octane (at the pump) or do we need 91 for performance AND mileage?
    Here's a link to a very helpful article explaining gasoline and octane ratings:

http://www.omegamotors.com/enjoy/gasoline/gasoline_06.html
    Next Question. I am debating on the upgrade to 18" tires. Do these size tires affect miles per gallon? Also, what about the the air suspension option (sport package). Bottomline, do either of these features increase or decrease gas mileage when compared to the 17" tires or a vehicle without the air suspension package? If anyone has a quick explanation of the best way to utilize the air suspension option when driving, I am all ears as well. Thanks in advance.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    Technically speaking, the larger the tire the less the rpm that it would require to travel the same distance (tire rpm, not engine rpm). Whether it would actually reduce gas consumption or not, is anybody's guess!

I believe the air suspension system will improve mainly the handling of the vehicle, then secondarily the gas mileage (depending on how you drive). The suspension has basically three settings for traveling: LOw, Normal, HIgh. The LO will offer you the best handling, and probably the gas mileage as well, because it lowers the vehicle by about 0.6" than the normal height (even though when the vehicle goes faster than 62 mph, it would lower itself automatically by 0.3" anyway). Hope it's helpful!
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone removed the cross-bars on the current RX330? Additionally, can the rails be removed; and is there a replacement part for the attachment points?

Is there a significant reduction in wind noise with removal of these accessaries?
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    I solved the cross-bar question. The endcaps of the rood rail snap off by sliding longitudinally. I removed the cross-bars from the rear after removing the endcap and removing the remaining screw from each side. I have not driven the RX330 , but I have noticed a significant reduction in wind noise with prior minivans.

Has anyone removed the entire roof rail?
  • icantthinkicantthink Member Posts: 7
    All,

Is this option available in the 2005 models at all? It would be a shame if Acura and MB have it but the Lexus doesn't.

thanks
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    Just bought an RX 330 this weekend. Have a very unimportant question but am curious about this. There is an "adapter tray" in the center console box between the two front seats. It has very unusual partitioning inside it and there is no mention in the owners manual as to what it is for. Just says to remove it, pull up, which I did. Salesman didn't know what it was for (surprise, surprise). Anyone know what this is? Perhaps something to do with the DVD entertainment system which I didn't get? Thanks. Thanks also to all for the helpfull info that I read prior to buying. Replaced an RX 300. Good move.
  • kenlex41kenlex41 Member Posts: 18
    Hey mmm1, I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't really fit anything well. I figured out the the low shallow try fits my gas credit card well, though.
    A couple years ago when I had another model of Lexus someone posted a link to get the Cbest settings. Does anyone know what that link might be. Need settings for 2003 LS 430 and 2005 RX 330. Thanks.
    "Seeking to build customer loyalty, upscale brands Lexus and Mercedes-Benz last week unveiled their new affinity credit cards."

Lexus and Mercedes-Benz Launch Credit Cards (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I assure you that 87 octane, regular gas will work fine in the RX330. Don't waste money with different formulations, especially with these high gas prices.
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    Yes - 87 works. I just find that the car runs much, much better with a higher octane. Seems to like Chevron. Depends on my (finacial) mood when I pull up to the pump I guess!
    Speaking of high gas prices, what kind of mileage are owners getting in the AWD version. I know what the EPA estimates are for the AWD, but lets get real. I am pretty sure the 2004 RX330 road test said Edmunds observed 16mpg.

In city and mixed driving, what are you guys getting?

Also, Lexus claims 7.8 seconds 0-60, but is anyone actually attaining this?
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Interesting. We use 87 also but don't notice any difference when trying 91 here in so. CA.
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    www.lexus.com/home/faqs/lps.html Then click on # 1
    "We all know that driving a fuel-efficient SUV is a good thing to do for the planet. If you can get the math working in your favor, as well, it can be a good thing for your wallet as well."

Hybrid and Diesel SUV Roundup (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • happirockhappirock Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have the laser cruise control in their car. Two local dealers told me that they have never seen one on an RX330.
  • spgullspgull Member Posts: 2
    I drove from Boston to Ft. Myers on 89 octane with my RX330 and got 22.5 mpg.
    My brother drove his RX330 from Hilton Head to Ft.Myers using 93 octane and got 25 mpg. Pretty good test that all things being equal, the car performs better with premium.
  • crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    Happirock, I was told the laser cruise control is found in only 1% of 2005 RX330 sold. This was according to a dealer I spoke to (in southern CA).
  • lexusguy311lexusguy311 Member Posts: 10
    Well folks I thought I would share my experiences with the RX330 after three months of ownerships. The first three months have been great, as expected. I feel that the amount of money paid for the car is well worth it and it could be priced higher IMO. I have not experienced any of the problems posted in the problems and solutions board, and the ride has been flawless. A couple of flaws that I would like to point are 1) this car doesn’t have a coin holder; I can’t believe this! 2) I wish the navigation were more user friendly. My wife has a 04 Accord with navigation and the Honda navigation is a lot more user friendly. The biggest flaw in the Lexus navigation is it prevents users from accessing the phone pad and destinations menu while traveling. I know that Lexus has this as a safety issue but when there is a passenger in the vehicle I see no reason on why they shouldn’t be able to access those menus. Other than those minor grips I am very impressed with the ride, looks, and refinement of the vehicle. The interior of the vehicle is the best in its class. The leather and interior materials are very high class. I had an opportunity to look at the X5 last week while my brother was buying a 05 M3 (lucky!!!!) and I was not impressed at all by BMW’s interior materials, especially the leather which looked very cheap (however, the nappa leather in the M3 is very nice). The cabin in the RX is extremely quiet, I don’t know why this gets so many complaints in the boards. Wind noise is very minimal and the engine is very quite; I have actually tried to turn the car on twice while it was already on. In all I am very happy with my purchase and look to post future findings in the future. :D
  • ttontton Member Posts: 1
    try http://www.autoaccessory4u.com/index.html they have it for $356 and they also have also have pre-paint for an extra $160...this is whole lot better then the tube.

let me how it's turn out!

br,
    tton
    I am trying to decide between sticking with the standard 17" wheels or upgrading to the 18" wheels before I purchase an AWD RX330. Other than what some consider a more sporty appearance (and 18" tires being more expensive to replace in the future) do the 18" wheels improve performance, handling/cornering, safety or mpg??? The safety, performance and handling/cornering being the most important for me.
    Hi, Can someone tell me how the wheel lock works for the RX330? I remember I got a key for the wheel lock for my Toyota Avalon. I did not find any wheel lock key with the package I received in the car. I also cannot locate any info in the Owner's Manual (did I miss it somewhere)? Any info would be appreciated.
  • gottlsgottls Member Posts: 21
    When I received my vehicle the wheel lock key was located in the small tool kit next to the jack. This was pointed out by the salesperson
    Gottls, Thanks for the tip. I will look for it there. Crystal2
    I brought this up in the RX330 vs everybody forum, and I got some good responses. I was hoping by throwing it in this forum, I might gain even more perspective.

Myself and others have noted that the Mark Levinson system does not replicate FM stations very well, nor does it have much punch (mainly due to its lack of a subwoofer). One person mentioned that since this vehicle is marketed towards 40+ people, that lack of bass response would not be a problem. I was wanting to get some perspective from people with the normal system in the RX, and those with the Mark Levinson version.

I am currently driving a Pathfinder with a BOSE system, and personally, I feel like I am going to take a step down in the stereo department by upgrading to this Mark Levinson system.

I am still in the "about to purchase" stage, and I am under 30, so the stereo DOES factor into my equations.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The ambient noise level, even in the LS430, is in the range of 70db at hwy speeds.

Just what good is it to have an upscale sound system in an automobile, other than bragging rights, unless you plan to spend a lot of time listening to it parked in your nice quiet garage.

"Lack of bass response..."

How much is enough....

Last week in Great Falls MT the car behind us had so much bass response a nearby Corvette burglar alarm was triggered.

A good hi-fidelity sound system has no need for biased response in the bass range.

So, the ML is likely more in the true high fidelity "venue" than a system with a separate bass speaker/system.
    I noted that the ML stereo sounds very flat when listening to FM music. For an upgraded sound system, I felt that it was very underachieving. Yes, the ambient noise may be 70dB, but I don't think that stops anyone from listening to the radio on the highways. The noise level in the RX is quite a bit less than my current vehicle, and I enjoy listening to music at 75mph as much as I do at 15mph. Not too mention, the vehicle was stopped with no ambient noise when I was testing the radio.

I do not want to blow my ears out (or set off any alarms), and by bass response, I don't mean, the teeth shaking bass you get with big speaker boxes that take up the entire cargo area. I do expect to feel it a little though. It was dull in the RX's ML system. Lexus puts ML subwoofers in sedans, so I don't see why a vehicle with more passenger and cargo area wouldn't warrant one as well. Comparable models (BMW X5, Acura MDX etc.) all do.

I have no doubt that this system produces hi-fidelity sound with digital sources/CDs, but I would like to know what owners of the RX330 with ML system think about its ability to reproduce FM signals, which is 98% of what I listen to.
    the front passenger seat for the bass speaker/amplifier.
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    Does anyone have any information about 2006 RX? Is it going to be RX350?
    Not having an RX in my possession right now makes this tough to check. Can you explain what you are referring to? When I checked the Lexus website, it said the amp for the Mark Levinson was under the rear passenger seat, so I am not quite sure what you are talking about. :confuse:

What exactly would I be checking to see other than if it is present?
    In my 2001 RX300 the bass speaker and amplifier are under the front passenger seat.
    " I am currently driving a Pathfinder with a BOSE system, and personally, I feel like I am going to take a step down in the stereo department by upgrading to this Mark Levinson system."

I have a brand new 2005 RX330 with the Mark Lev stereo, and I have also own a 1991 Acura Legend with a Bose stereo. As far as I am concerned, the 14 year old Bose is the better stereo.

While I'm on the subject I will add that last month I rented a Kia Amanti which had, as I recall, an Infinity brand stereo system in it. I think it was better then both the Bose and the Mark Lev.

I think that the Mark Lev marquee is w-a-y over rated. Maybe they build good stereos for home use, but in the car, there are much better manufacturers. That's my opinion anyway.

Ps. For those techno-data types out there, please skip quoting me the watts, amplitude, harmonic distortion and all that other stuff. I don't need a manual to tell me how good it's supposed to sound. I know what sounds good to my ear, and so do most people.
    This question has probably been answered ad nauseum on this forum but I'm trying to not have to review a hundred- plus posts to find the answer. As a very recent RX 330 owner I can't find anything in the owner's manual about the antenna on the roof. Folding it down doesn't seem to affect the radio reception so what's it for?
  • kenlex41kenlex41 Member Posts: 18
    I would like to know they answer to that too. At first I thought it was the GPS, because 330's without Nav don't have it, but I read in the Manual that the GPS sensor was in the dash. Also, I was told the radio antenna was in the windshield.