Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Why can't you use a strap type rack? Doesn't it just hook on the top and bottom of the door?
  • susansjsusansj Member Posts: 3
    No, in the new model the rear spoiler is attached directly to the hood, there's no space underneath (like our old RX300) to put the strap hooks. And you can't put the strap over the spoiler.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 and I just never had the spoiler put on. Can it be removed?
  • susansjsusansj Member Posts: 3
    No, it's part of the car, period. I didn't think to ask this time (I did when i bought the old one since it came with the spoiler), but the spoiler on my 2000 wasn't a problem. You'd think they'd improve the design. I posted this on the consumer reports website and got blasted when i said reviewers should have mentioned the fact that no bike rack that you can put on yourself -- and that costs less than $1000 -- fits it. It's an SUV for god's sake, not a Corvette! I complained enough -- calling customer satisfaction and the dealer -- that the dealer is charging me cost -- $600 -- but still...
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I put a tow hitch on my 99 rx in like 20 minutes and for $140. It was a simple, six screws to put the hidden-hitch in (etrailer.com). If your not using it to tow you don't need the wiring for lights. Another 80 for a bike rack for a 2" receiver and It would only be a little over $220 to carry 3 bikes. I looked on the site, you can get 3 different models for under $155.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    drill a small hole in the spoiler so a hook can be attached when you are hauling the bikes? Doubt if you would be noticeable otherwise.
  • wrahnwrahn Member Posts: 45
    I currently have a 2003 RX300 and I'm considering trading it in for the 2005 RX330. Based on what I read on the posts on this forum, I'm not sure if I'm trading up or down. So would you please help me by answering these questions:

Can the roof rack cross slats be removed to reduce the wind noise if it becomes a problem?

Since my deal comes with the 18" wheels, are they better than the 17" wheels as far as noise and stability?

Have the engine noise and transmission problems been solved?

Would it be better to wait for the 2006 or take the 9% discount off 2005 sticker price I've been offered?

Last but not least are there any questions I should have asked, but didn't?

Thanks for you answers,
    Wes
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    Anyone know a good price for the A/C filter, the one in the glovebox (at least it was there in my RX300).

Thanks for your help.
    I already have my name on the list for an early 2006 (AWD, air) but I will cancel if the hesitation problem isn't clearly fixed by then, early November. Considering the RX400h as a viable alternative.

Currently driving a 2001 AWD RX300 and babying the transaxle.
  • jay_man2jay_man2 Member Posts: 5
    It is behind the glovebox, and the best price I've found was at http://www.irontoad.com

It was $24 plus shipping, versus about $50 from my local dealer. They're Thompson Lexus in Doylestown, PA, and provide great service. They shipped only 2 items of a 4 item order, and actually called me after I'd received the shipment (before I'd opened the box) to see if I got my entire order. I hadn't, but they were quick to ship the other two items (two more cabin filters, as it turns out.

--Jay
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    What was your experience putting your name on a list so early? Is it common to do that before the changes are even announced? Did they take a deposit, etc?

I would like to do the same.. I am hoping they add just a *touch* more power and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the RX gets the Audio input that the '06 IS got.

Currently driving an '03 Passat, and 9 warranty issues later I have had it.
    much like the endless preorder list for the RX400h.

Dealt with the same dealer since 91.....
    Thanks, Jay. I think I'll take a crack at making up my own from a good house filter. Do you recall at what interval they're supposed to be replace? 25,000 miles?

Jim
  • jay_man2jay_man2 Member Posts: 5
    I don't recall what the maintenance schedule recomends, but I just replaced both the engine and cabin filter at 10,000 miles. The engine filter looked usable for another 5-10,000 miles, but the cabin filter was filthy.
    Based on information from the web and from the Lexus salesman, the 2006 will have no changes and the price will increase by about 1%. In 2007, the lexus will have an increase in horsepower and some other minor changes, but not an overhaul in the design.

The salesman down played the problems some on the people have posted on this forum. In his experience, there are no transmission or engine noise problems nor increased road noise. I'm sure he talks to the maintenance guys.

As I indicated in post # 3517, I can buy a 2005 at discount or wait for the 2006 which will be the same car as the 2005. The salesman was up front in saying I wouldn't get a discount on the 2006 until it's been out for some time. Decisions!Decisions! Decisions!

:confuse:
    Can you really believe that Toyota will continue building 3.3L V6 engines for some models of the product line but 3.5L V6 engines for others?

I can't.
    From all the rumors, I think the '07 will come out early, in March - which I *think* I will wait for.

In peoples experiences, will they add small features even if there is not an overhaul in the design? I know it's petty, but I really would like to see the Audio in cable added that the '06 IS got (all of our CDs went into storage when we both got iPods). What are the chances they will add it for either '06 or '07?
    Save $$ by making your own interior air filter, as follows:

1. Open glove box

2. Note thumb screws on each side of he glove box (inside the box"..

3. Turn each screw as far as it will go and pull each down. You might need some pliars.

4. The glove box will drop down and with a flash light, looking to the back behind where the glove box was, note the filter housing. It's white.

5. That filter houseing will pull straight out.

6. Take out the filter and note it's similarity to something you use in the house.

7. At WalMart, the Lysol Elite filter looks like the same material.

8. Match up your A/C filter to the material in the house filter and cut a filter out.

9. Just install in the housing and repeat the things you did.

Change every 10-15,000 miles. If you bought a large enough house filter, you'll have enough material to take care of several filter changes in the car.
    Does anyone have a good idea on when the '06 will actually be released? I have heard August, I have heard "autumn", and a few other variations.

If any dealers are reading... are there any chances the Audio input cable will find it's way over the the 330 before the change over to the 350? I am hoping this is minor enough that they will just throw it in early. ::fingers crossed::

Thanks!
    audreym

Have you checked with any of the auto-audio techs about a modification to your sound system? I'm not an expert, but I know the CD player has to have an audio input to the sound system. Therefore, there has to be a way a tech can modify your system to replace or add an audio cable for your ipod.

Wes
    Thanks wrahn, maybe I will hop over that forum and check if anyone has been brave enough to try this yet. From what I can tell, the job would entail taking apart the dash and somehow bypassing the Nav system, which I am not comfortable doing as a DIY job.

I was *hoping* they would add this our of the factory so I would not risk voiding the warranty or putting a huge gouge in the dash. In our VW, we just got a cable that connects to the CD changer hookup which was clean and easy.. No such luck in the RX.
  • encinoadamencinoadam Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone tell me what they are getting out of the 330... the AWD... the FWD... and the hybrid.... what kind of real gas mileage are you seeing... and do you have to put super unleaded in it? What happens if ya don't? Thanks!
    I know in the FWD and the AWD the dealer told us it takes regular 87, but I am also curious what kind of actual MPG people are seeing.

If anyone who answers could also give us a sense of if their normal use is more towards highway, stop /go, or somewhere in between?

Thanks!!!
  • lekmbmplekmbmp Member Posts: 3
    Just got 2005 330 w/ AWD. Getting about 21mpg with aggressive highwy driving and about 18 city with past weekend.
  • rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2005 RX 330 AWD that I got in February. I average between 21 and 22 mpg with a combination of city and freeway driving. Higher if it is all freeway (at around 60 mph) and less if it is all in town driving. The mileage really starts to drop when you go 70 mph.

I started out using a mid-range gas, since that was what I used in my 1999 RX 300. I saw some posts on this site about only needing 87 octane, so I switched to regular and I can't tell any difference. With the gas prices these days, I have stayed with the regular gas. The switch to regular did not seem to change the gas mileage.
  • ionelionel Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 Rx 330, AWD with 21,000 miles and I use 97 octane. The average gas mileage in the city is 16 - 17 mpg , on the highway 24 - 26 mpg. On the highway I try to keep the speed between 60 - 68 mph. I use cruise control a lot, if I have the lights off, a/c off , I get 26 - 27 mpg. I'm very please with the mpg for this SUV.
    Does anyone have any guestimates on what will happen to the MPG when they change the engine over for the '07 model?

My theory was that currently the Avalon gets 80% of the MPG that the Camry does.. I was guessing that the '07 RX would get 80% of what the '05/'06 gets.. Not sure if that will hold true or not.
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    fyi...Toyota and Honda just got caught inflating horsepower numbers and are being forced to come clean and report the true HP numbers.

Toyota, Honda inflated claims of engine muscle; new tests force automakers to come clean with buyers.
    I don't care so much about horsepower.... but interesting that no one seems to get the miles per gallon that they quote. Is that just sort of an industry thing? Anyone with FWD want to chime in with their mileage?

Thanks!
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    I get horrible gas milage. But maybe it is because i drive 80 on the highway. Our family uses our RX to travel because we love the feeling of riding in a SUV but, i drive 85-90 on the highway so the gas mileage is horrible. Maybe i can get 25 on the highway driving at 80 with the lew hybrid
    In theory, the Hybrid only helps with MPG in stop & go traffic.. you probably won't see too much of a difference on highway because after a certain speed the engine switches over from electricity to gas..
    While this might be slightly off message, I thought it might be interesting as it relates to mpg. I'm trading my 2003 RX-300 FWD for the 2005 RX-330 and after almost 29,000 miles my RX-300's average mpg is 21.7.

Wes
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    I recently made a 500 mile trip and was getting near 24mpg at 74mpg ... which is VERY rare for me. It was a flat drive and little to no wind ... pretty consistent the whole trip. Generally if I drive all highway (at 64mpg) I get just over 24mpg with little wind or elevation changes. Otherwise interstate driving is about 22.5mpg. All city -- 18.5mpg or so.

I should also note that these are computer readings ... the actual fuel economy is generally about 0.8mpg less when I calculate it myself.

I have a 2005 AWD 330 w/15,000 miles on it ... after this last oil change is when I've noticed the better MPG figures.
  • tomzpritomzpri Member Posts: 33
    When Hyundai had a Horsepower problem (less than advertised) they gave money back to consumers. If a manufacturer advertises one thing, then delivers something well short of that (whether they were exploiting loopholes or not), then you think they would be reputable enough to make amends with the consumers.
    Well yesterday I picked up my new RX and it came with Goodyear tires. I asked the salesman if I could swap for Michelin tires and after searching other FWD RXs on the lot he indicated there were no Michelins except for the AWD 400i RXs.

He indicated the parts department had some I could swap out at the price difference plus labor. I was conflicted because I was not sure after all that trouble they would be better or worse than the Goodyears, and I'd kick myself for making a dumb decision. I stayed with the Goodyears and have crossed my fingers.

There were some comments on this forum about the difference between the max psi for the different tires. I'm not sure it's that important since the recommended psi is 30 which is in the limits for both brands of tires
    What's wrong with GoodYear?? GoodYear and Michelin are both great tires, no?
    My first RX-300 had Goodyear tires. I had a lousy ride the car pulled to the right so bad I strained my arm keeping it going straight. I finally convinced the dealer to swap them out for the Michelins. I hope I don't go through the same drill again with my 2005 RX-330.
  • aaatttaaattt Member Posts: 22
    My car has 1200 miles now. The report card A- :blush:

I do not have wind noise problem. my is AWD with 18" Michelin tires.
    The engine sound is quiet but not quiet as I thought.
    The ride is smooth.

2 interior assembly defect found but acceptable.( my is build in Canada)
    (one dealer warranty repair visit already) :mad:
    Japan build normally is 0-1 defect. the national average is 1.5 defect per car.
    I read from some place else.

The hesitate problem people talk about it.(someone's post said almost get crash with other car on highway) I also do some test ! :)

Because this car is "Drive by Wire" design, like the airplane & jet.
    So u are not 100% control this car. some time the computer program will take over your control. :cry:

For example: I have the long downhill road in my town. my old car if I need engine brake that I need to switch manually the over-drive off to lower gear.
    But I found out the RX330 u don't need to switch from D to 4th gear manually.
    U only need slightly press the brake petal when on the downhill road. the transmission computer will detect it and auto switch from D to 4th gear to get engine brake. :)

If u need to pass other cars on the road that you need to press gas petal to "kick-down" gear to get accelerate.

My old car will respond quickly after I hit the gas petal.
    The RX330 hesitate problem happen during on high speed (my experience)
    I try different speed to "kick-down".
    In low speed it will respond quickly 25-55 mph.
    But above 60 mph on highway, the engine respond will slow about 1-1.5 second
    (hesitate)to accelerate. I think the computer take over control !

Why the Lexus computer design like this???? :confuse:
    (my car was build in July/05 should be the up-to-date computer driving program)

to protect engine?, transmission? because it's the SUV u don't need drive that fast ? etc.....??? :confuse:

So u need to know your car's computer program ! "drive by wire" :surprise:

I remember around 10-15 years ago when the "drive by wire" method start to use in the airplane . 2 Airbus A300-600R jet crash , because the pilot did not familiar with the computer. the pilot action conflict with the computer. so the plane stall.
    after 2 accidents that the Airbus & Boeing re-program the software & notify all pilots for the new tech!!!
  • triflintriflin Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anyone has switched to either of these tire sizes could give me your experience.

My car came with Michelin 235/55/R18s and they look so SMALL in the wheelwell. I am contemplating going with a lower speed rating (to get more mileage from the tire, possibly 50K?) and a larger tire on the Lexus 18" rims. My Michelins have lasted 26K so far but I will need at least 2 new tires (cornering too fast) within the next 4K.

Anyone happy with a tire other than the Michelins (I'm not happy with the noise and ride)? I was contemplating purchasing Bridgestone Duelers or Pirellis but the tire salesman didn't have great things to say (or was he getting a kickback for pushing Michelins? hmmm). Price is an issue, especially if I wear them out in under 20K miles.

Hard on tires in NC
    Does the Lexus 400h qualify to drive in the carpool lane in California? In the research I did, only the Prius, Insight and Civic owners can apply. If so, why?? Seems like that would be one of the few reasons someone would have to buy it... no?? It sure isn't gas economy or money - the car doesn't seem to pay for its increased price (of about $10k). And the extra gas mieleage isn't that amazing. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I'm a little surprised these hybrids can't get over 30 mpg.
    DMV answered it for me:

Lexus 2006Rx400h HYBRID - not qualified due to fuel economy less than 45MPG and lack of compliance with ATPZEV emission standard.

http://www.carlist.com/autonews/2005/autonews_181.html

-augh
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    at Edmunds "Aftermarket and Accessories forum a go to Ask Connor at Tirerack...he might be able to answer yopur question and give you some recommendations.Why not try Tire Rack .com or if you go to the other forum

Try to go over to the Edmunds Aftermarket and Accessories Forum and click on Ask Connor at Tire rack...he might be able to give you some advice. Hope this helps...
  • triflintriflin Member Posts: 4
    I was hoping to hear actual owner experience. I'm tired of talking to tire salesmen.
  • shorty68shorty68 Member Posts: 4
    Do you know when Lexus is planning on fixing the hesitation problem? I also was hesitating to purchase a RX330 for this reason.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: Ask Connor at The Tire Rack

tidester, host
  • rich18944rich18944 Member Posts: 14
    The Owner’s Manual Supplement that came with my 2005 RX 330 calls for routine maintenance every 5,000 miles. I downloaded the maintenance schedule from the Lexus web site and it says 7,500 miles for normal driving and 5,000 miles for driving on dusty roads, pulling a trailer or for short trips in freezing weather. What is up here? Why the difference? Did the dealership have a special Supplement made up so that they can make more money from more frequent services?

I previously had a 1999 RX 300 and I always argued with the dealership over the frequency and the services that were required. The manual that came with the 1999 showed both frequencies depending on how the vehicle was used. Of course, the dealer used the more frequent schedule and never mentioned the difference unless questioned. It was always a hassle when scheduling service.

Does anyone have any incite that they can share? I’m assuming that a 7,500 mile schedule for routine service is OK. Do all dealerships do this?

I would appreciate any comments.
  • kderobertiskderobertis Member Posts: 82
    For people who live in the Northeast, who have the 18 inch wheels:

1) Which set of tires arrived on your vechicle Michelin or Goodyear???

2) Which do you prefer Michelin or Goodyear???
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    In regards to your question about the RX 300 sound system. I own a 2005 RX 330 with the Levinson Radio, and I am real pleased with it. It comes with eleven speakers and is very clear and no distortion. My last Lexus was a 2002 RX 300 and had the premium radio. I was also pleased with the quality of the radio. Maybe you should have the radio or speakers checked out. I defiantly feel that the Levinson Radio sounds better. The louder you play it the better it sounds, no distortion.
    I've just received my 2005 RX-330 FWD with Nav system version 4.2. and have two questions concerning it's operation.

1.- How can I get rid of the opening screen that requires "I accept" everytime I turn on the car?

2.- How can I turn off the Nav screen if I know where I'm going and don't need it on?

Thanks,

Wes
  • suvsearchingsuvsearching Member Posts: 2
    I live in Texas and am looking to buy the RX 330. However, I am still a bit undecided about whether or not I will be getting the AWD or FWD. Here in Fort Worth, snow and ice are a rarity(probably once or twice a year). We get a ton of rain in the Spring but otherwise our weather is very good. I don't see myself moving for the forseeable future unless it is down south to Austin.

Lexus owners in Texas or the South...do I really need AWD?