Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• sciguy1sciguy1 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2004 RX330 without the navigation and upscale stereo, but it has the other goodies like leather seats, sun roof, heated seats, etc. For the price of this "luxury" car I have been somewhat dissappointed. We have already had several problems with the car. It had to be taken in four times before the dealership would finally replace that power mirrors that weren't working properly. We have also had trouble lights come on, requiring the dealership to need to hold on to the car for a few days. I beleive it was called the VSC light. The plastic shielding on the front fender came loose and was sliding on the road in front of the tire while the car was being driven on the freeway. And we've only had the car for less than 2 years!
    My sister has a Toyota highlander, and riding in her car I couldn't notice that much difference in the ride or noise level. I've never heard her mention having any problems with her Highlander.
    I'm also not happy that although Lexus advertises a base model, I couldn't find one. Living in the Palm Springs area, I didn't want to pay for extras like sensor wipers and heated seats, and I didn't want the sunroof. But I got stuck with them just the same. I'm afraid I got sucked in by the marketing. Next time I'll just go with the Highlander, rocommended by Consumer Reports over the RX. Or I could just buy 2 Hyundai Santa Fes.
  • simplemindsimplemind Member Posts: 8
    It would be good to know where yours was manufactured. What are the first three letters of your VIN ?
  • richardb4richardb4 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to protect the headlights from being stolen? It just cost 7M to replace and repair the headlights which weerre stolen in NYC. The police say this is very common with dozens stolen recently
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's getting to be a bigger problem with several makes of cars. See the Stolen Headlights!! discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • sciguy1sciguy1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. First few Veh. Id. numbers are JTJHA3
  • simplemindsimplemind Member Posts: 8
    Well, so much for my theory....JTJ = Japan. :mad:
  • hyiuhyiu Member Posts: 18
    Anyone have any pics on the mulitpanel moonroof ?
    They mention it in the website, they mention it in the brouchure, but have no pics of it.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    that the 2006 Lexus GS300, a "sports sedan", passenger car, gets a truly functional AWD system, planetary gearset center diff'l plus a "wet' clutch pack 50:50 torque split unless the yaw sensor indicates 30:70 F/R to be appropreate, dynamically ("shades of" the old Ford Aerostar AWD system), and the RX330 SUV, Sports Utility Vehicle, still comes with a wannabe AWD system, and front torque biased at that.

And I'll bet that snow chains can be used safely on the GS300 AWD to boot. Unlike the unsafe, hazardous recommendation of snow chains only on the front of the RX330.

I see the new RAV4 is getting a new 4WD system, maybe adapted from the GS??
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Just began looking for an RX last week and have a couple of questions. My local Lexus dealers want to sell what they have on their lot but will special order if I want a configuration they do not stock. Initial interest is in the (Navigation System - Mark Levinson Package) but this package is something they do not stock on their lots. With the RX now being built in Canada I was advised that to special order this may take 4 to 6 weeks. Plus they want a $5K deposit to do this – no way. Has anyone placed a special order with Lexus?

How do the folks with the Navigation System like or dislike controlling the heat and a/c on the touch screen? This RX will be for my wife and she very much prefers simplicity. The Navigation screen on my 4Runner also has settings for my radio and has not been a concern to her. On the 4Runner you have the choice to change volume and channel selection on the steering wheel so you do not need to touch the screen for most audio needs. Of course you have the same radio controls on the wheel of the RX but you need to touch the screen to change HVAC settings. Her first impression trying this on the RX has not been totally positive but we would like some feedback. Spending 30 minutes in the car with a salesperson is not her idea of becoming familiar with an option like this. I told her with climate control you set and forget and not to be concerned with it. Perhaps this is very easy to use, just like to hear some opinions.

She will not be purchasing until mid-November at the earliest so we have time to shop around.

Thank you.
    system controls are nothing but a pain in the butt.

The only display you can get to remain constantly up is the stupid and distracting moving map display. If you want to know the current status of the clmate control you need to thwittle some control knob first just to bring up the appropreate display.

Idiots.
    wwest

Appreciate this information, just what she is looking for.

NAV is not really important to her, probably more for me plus I was suggesting it for the rear backup camera feature like I have on my 4Runner. Being a gadget person I actually like the moving map display. Do agree it is distracting and should not be viewed while driving.

Thank you
    I rarely use the nav but when I do I turn the display off and rely on the voice only. If that leads me astray then I pull over and turn the display on to fine my way.
  • hyiuhyiu Member Posts: 18
    I heard this somewhere, is it true ??
    are all 2006 RX330 made in Canada ??

Thx,
  • schwingschwing Member Posts: 5
    RX330 - 2005 - 5200 miles ... averaging 16-1/2 MPG driving suburbs ... trying to be efficient driver ... best mileage was about 19-1/2 during a time that my speed averaged about 40 MPH with a few stops and starts ... normal routine driving back and forth to work and the stores about 2-5 miles each way gets me the 16-1/2 MPG .... Lexus service says this is normal ... if my mileage gets down to only 10 MPG bring the vehicle in for service .... COMMENTS PLEASE
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    It may sound silly, but be sure your tire pressure is correct. My wife's 04 RX was driving around on 24psi ( no clue why, she is religious about servicing her car and only at the Lexus dealership). The door says 30 and I filled them to 32psi. It raised her trip computer's milage by 2mpg (from 17+ to 19+ around town). Never verified it, dividing miles by fuel purchased, but my lowly Chevy Tahoe's trip computer (often checked with my calculator) is darn accurate. I'd guess the Lexus computer is at least as good. Keep those tires inflated!
  • mo6mo6 Member Posts: 7
    No, I just purchased a 2006 RX330 last Friday and it was made in Japan. The salesman told me the RX400's are made in Canada now so they have started producing some of the RX330's in Japan again.
  • catovacatova Member Posts: 4
    hi all -

I was interested in the '06 Highlander, but fell out of love with it on the test drive (too noisy on the freeway, and I'll be doing lots of interstate driving). But am digging on the 330 but still need to know some things.

I am moving to VA in an area with rains and occasional snow. Since I come from an easier weather area (SoCal, so this means my driving skills for nasty weather are very rudimentary), I really want to have a safe ride. Budget takes a back seat to safety for me here.

I heard that the AWD is worth it. But I would like to hear from anyone w/info on the performance package - i.e. do the larger tires and variable suspension make for a safer driving experience that you find worthwhile??

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you -
    :confuse:
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    We have the performance package on our '04 RX. Personally I don't see any advantage it would give you in terms of safety. The main benefit is that it handles slightly better when set to the lowest level, and if you tow anything the air suspension keeps the vehicle flat at all corners. You also get the option of selecting gears manually if that's something that would interest you. While this won't improve your 0-60 times, it does feel sportier and more responsive when driving on twisty roads.

When we bought ours the wheel and tire package was also more attractive but I don't know if that's still the case. All other things being equal, wider low profile tires are worse for winter driving than narrower taller profile tires, but we have a separate set of wheels and winter tires to drive in our Minnesota winters (I doubt that you would need them in Virginia where either set of wheels/all season tires should be fine).

Hopefully this info helps.
    Keep in mind that there can be a very radical handling difference, dynamically, between various AWD systems. Many of the Toyota and Lexus AWD systems are derived from FWD vehicles and are therefore front torque biased AWD. FWD and front torque biased AWD systems can fail you when you need that extra traction the most.

One of the best, honest to god truly functional, modern day AWD systems is in the new AWD GS300. The GS uses a planetary gearset and an electrically controlled wet clutch for the center differential so that the engine torque can be dynamically allocated based on signals from the VSC's yaw sensor.

Basically the yaw sensor is used to determine when the front tires' traction should be allocated, mostly, to maintaining directional control of the vehicle rather than engine driving torque or even engine compression braking.

The AAA is currently on a campaign primarily aimed at drivers of FWD and/or front biased AWD vehicles who are inexperienced in wintertime adverse roadbed condition driving. The basic idea is to practice quickly moving the shifter into neutral when conditions are such that lagging engine torque, engine braking might result in loss of directional control.
    Got a link for that AAA campaign? I'm having trouble finding anything other than the usual slow down and keep your foot off the gas if you skid advice from them. There's something about declutching or shifting into neutral mentioned in search digests but I can't get to the link on the AAA site due to their idiotic zip requirement.

[edit] Found this non-AAA link - OSH Answers. Seems like the operative language should be if you have time to react, shift to neutral."

Steve, Host
    I just had the same problem with the zip code issue, dammed nuisance!

So I googled for...

"shift into neutral" aaa

Several AAA documents or authors that way.
    I was so irritated I didn't compose or edit my post above worth a flip, lol.

It's been a while since I've lost it (on an icy road) but having the wits about you to remember to shift to neutral while steering, braking, watching the moose pass inches by your bumper ... seems like a lot to ask. I guess that's why people need to practice in empty parking lots.

Good time to promo this link:

Snow driving!

Steve, Host
    in the wintertime I would often disable the e-brake latching mechanism so that I could e-brake the rear wheels alone when it became necessary. Learned that trick back in MT in the sixties.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I have an 04 with the Performance Package and live in Virginia and have found the handling exceptional in snowy conditions. I distinctively remember one snowy day last year when many drivers were stranded at the bottom of a hill and I passed them by and climbed it without sliding or any hesitation at all! In fact, I don't think I would ever buy another vehicle without AWD (my wife's 04 Pacifica has AWD as well). :D
  • catovacatova Member Posts: 4
    to my3rdrx:

So you felt on that snowy day that it helped to have the advantages from the performance package, not just the AWD alone?? How so?
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    No, that's not what I meant: Obviously, in snowy conditions, AWD helps with traction but I love the Performance Package mainly because it gives me better handling control -- from the manual sequential shifting to the multilevel vehicle heights. Also, the wrapped-around leather steering wheel and shift knob, instead of the wood, gives me better grasp in handling.
  • lxsownr3lxsownr3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all...
    I just got a new Rx 330 not too long ago and I was wondering what your opinions were on how comfortable the seat was. I haven't had mine for long but I guess I thought it was going to be more comfortable. Are your seats comfortable after you get used to them?
  • dpaulknerdpaulkner Member Posts: 1
    I have test driven the 2006 RX330 and I love the car. The only problem is I'm 6'5", and the headroom is a little lacking. If I could just get another inch or so, the car would be perfect for me. Has anyone heard of someone who can custom lower the seat, or offers an aftermarket seat that is lower? (It seems like there is room under the current seat to make one lower).
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Can you still special order one without a sun roof? I am 6'4" and couldn't fit in the '99 RX with a sun roof so I ordered one without. Took a couple of months but was worth it.
  • hobbes4444hobbes4444 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone confirm whether the 2006s are coming from the factory with the "added security" for the HID headlights? Or do I need to ask the dealer to install prior to taking delivery (if I ever get the d**n car)?
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    I can tell you that they added the "security" for my HID's during my last scheduled service - without being asked, so I would be surprised if they didn't do that for you as part of normal prep. But I've been surprised before.
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    I have been told by Lexus's 800 Customer Service and numerous salespeople at different dealers that the 2006 models already have (a) the bracket, which breaks the entire system apart if someone attempts to pull them out, and (b) the data dots. I pick mine up tomorrow, so I will let you know if I see them on there! :)
    In researching details of Lexus new DIS, Direct Injection System, I came across several articles indicating Lexus is dropping ALL FWD models from the line-up. Apparently the IS series is set to replace the ES and the FWD version of the RX series will be dropped.

RWD and/or AWD only from this point forward.

Lexus Canada no longer sells the FWD version of the RX.
  • tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Without any doubt, RX330 has the most comfortable seats ever. It's the best vehicle for long distance trip.
    Does anyone know, or have an idea, as to when the RX will get the extra horses from higher compression enabled by DIS, Direct Ignition System?
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    Is this the '07 RX350 that is rumored to release in March??

Does anyone know that if they release in March, when they will publish any specs?? Do they wait until the last second, or do they give us an idea of the changes ahead of time?
  • maxellmanmaxellman Member Posts: 43
    Will the RX350 get the 6 speed AT?
  • greenhkgreenhk Member Posts: 48
    I'm in the research phase right now of my next car purchase. The RX330 is high on my list but there is no local dealership for us. If I end up purchasing the RX330, does anyone know if I can have the maintenance work done at our local Toyota dealership? Would it be covered? Thanks in advance.
    Quite a few RX owners do this, usually to save money on routine maintenance. The safest bet would be to call the Toyota dealer's service appointment and ask.
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    With the Performance Package that has the Sequential Auto Transmission, can that be used just like a typical automatic? I can't find one to look at and just want to make sure that it can work just like the normal automatic in the regular models. Any help is appreciated!
  • rezultzrezultz Member Posts: 12
    I just spoke to a leasing company to get some info on the 2006 rx330. According to the leasing rep, as of about 8 months ago, US RX's are manufactered in Canada as opposed to Japan. At the new facility they do not build RX's with mark leviston audio or the Performance package. This expains why you can no longer build an rx on the lexus webite with these options. To get the upgraded audio you would need to special order from Japan and most dealers are reluctant to do so. :(
    The answer to your question is "yes" - it can be used just like a typical automatic. Whether you move the shift lever over to the right and shift manually is up to you. The hard part I guess now would be to find one, given that their plant in Canada is apparently not building any with this option.
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    My Lexus Service Manager Reccomends 91 Octane For Best Performance And Millage.
    What does he care, you're not spending his money.
    I am not sure about the Performance package but believe the Mark Levinson system may be ordered through Canada.

Last week I factory ordered a AWD with the Navigation System / Mark Levinson package. The RX will be built on the 28th and is scheduled be delivered no later than Dec. 21st. From discussions with two dealers, it appears they are reluctant to special (factory) order, they want to sell you what they have in inventory. I will not know until I actually receive the vehicle to confirm that the Levinson is possible to get. My dealer said this should not be a problem, will not know until sometime in December.

My advise is to a e-mail or call other dealers. Ask them if you can factory order the package you prefer. Once you know your options, go back to the leasing company and advise them of what is available. Maybe leasing companies only procure out of dealer inventories?

good luck and advise the forum what you find out.
  • sands1sands1 Member Posts: 9
    I currently drive a Sequia. Do about 30,000 miles a year. Need a car that is both dependable and very good in the snow.
    Would love new awd car but think that the RX 330 may be better in snow.
    Anyone have experience with the AWD in RX 330 vs. Sequioa.
    Am afraid that the GX is too rough of a ride

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
    You're kidding us, right??

The Sequoia has a true 4WD part-time system and has a full time backup using brake apportioning like the RX does for its ONLY method of AWD. Besides which the RX series is predominently FWD torque biased.

You would literally be going from the frying pan into the fire itself going from the Sequoia to an RX.

Take a long hard look at the BMW X3, or even the new RAV4 if you really need AWD.
  • sands1sands1 Member Posts: 9
    I am just beginning to understand the differences in AWD.
    What are your thoughts about the Land Cruiser. Is this technology superior to the AWD for the RX 330.?

Also any thoughts on how the new AWD autos would handle the snow

Thanks for the assistance.
    I think the LC is just a Sequoia/LX470 with different badging insofar as the driveline is concerned. But in truth someone else should weight in on that.

If by AWD autos you mean the new GS300 or IS300 then I suspect they will be excellent AWD platforms, not as good as the 4runner, but insofar as traction and safety on slippery roadbeds is concerned dramatically improved over the RX or HL.
    I have heard/read that the new RX350 will be introduced next spring. Assuming the "350" part means what I think it means then it will have DIS, Direct Injection System, to inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber at or near TDC of the compression stroke.

I am very impressed with the AWD/4WD (whatever) write-up on the new RAV4, does anyone have any information, news, rumors, etc, regarding whether the RX350 will get this same AWD/4WD driveline?

Personally I would think so since its hard to image a world wherein the RAV4 has a more capable AWD system than the Lexus RX or even the Highlander.