Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• Can I poll the current Lexus/Toyota owners on the comfort and usefullness of the RH armrest on the drivers side?

My concern is that this arm rest is too small to be comfortable for 6" driver. I am used to a console arm rest or a full width adjustable armrest shared between driver and passenger that you can rest your arm in any position. It seems to me that the Lexus armrest is the same chinsy 2" wide Toyota armrest used from the Corola on up wrapped in nicer leather. You would think they could make a wider armrest or a nice shared adjustable rest.

Is this a matter of just getting used to it? Right now when I hop in a Lexus to try it out my arm slips off the thing. :(
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    I am 6'4" and have never had a problem with the arm rest. I've had a '99 RX 300 since '98. I never really thought about it being small until seeing comments here over the years. I guess it depends on ones position while driving.
  • Hi Rich, Thank you for all the help, I was able to get it to work, What a difference it makes....
    Mike
  • Hi, Len

No interruption at all- thank you for sharing your experience! I was leaning toward a Highlander until your post. Now I'm leaning toward the Lexus again :) I'm in no hurry to make a decision. The more I think about it, the more it becomes apparent that the price we're willing to pay for luxury and the driving experience is an individual choice. But it's good to know that you experienced the excellent service in addition to that. Thanks again for your input. M.Davis
  • Agree with you. The RH arm rest for the driver and the LH arm rest for the passenger is a weak spot for comfort, everything else about this vehicle is very good. My Toyota 4Runner and Solara have a very comfortable center arm rest shared by driver and passenger, why that type design was not used on the RX is puzzling.

I am tempted to go to a upholster to have a custom leather pillow made in same color of interior that will fit over the console and be at same height of armrest. This is just an idea, have no idea if it will work but may be worth a try. When you need access to the compartment below just move the pillow. Hope more folks respond to your poll, maybe someone has a solution.
  • I talked to my local Lexus dealer and the sales manager said that I can order my RX with Mark Levinson Sound and the factory installed Rear Entertainment System with one screen in the middle. OR I can order the aftermarket dual screens on each headrest that is in the parts department for the same cost, but I will not have the Mark Levinson Sound System. Any suggestions to people who own RX's with the Levinson sound or the Screens on which setup would be the best? I am looking at buying in the next two weeks. Thanks
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Yes, but the Lexus RX350 is much faster, more luxurious and more sophisticated than the Mazda CX-7.

But I do like the way the Mazda looks- very stylish!

;)
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    According to the info available on tundrasolutions.com, the RX350 does not offer satellite radio. Furthermore, the stated 0-60 time is the same as for the 2006
    RX330. And the turning diameter is 1.4 feet greater. This is progress? It does appear that they may have improved noise levels; this is something that was definitely needed.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Greater turning radius might very well imply that the RX has adopted the AWD system from the IS and GS.

That would most definitely be progressive!
    Correction: after reviewing the RX350 Nav system manual, it is clear that XM radio will be offered as a dealer installed option.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Is this a credible site?

It seems highly unlikely that the 350 is the same as the 330 in terms of performance.

When Lexus tests it, I'm sure it will be quicker. Think about the RX400h- it's heavier than the 350, and has 3 less bhp, but still gets a 0-60 time of 7.0-7.2 seconds, compared to the 330's 7.7.

I'm gonna say 7.0 flat.

;)
    The RX400 is able to combine the torque of the ICE and electric motor(AWD,{s}) for that stellar 0-60 time. With low speed acceleration HP is not the issue, torque is, AC electric motors have a dramatic level of low RPM torque.
  • Production on the RX 350 has started this week. I would expect them on dealer lots by the end of March.

Mullins
  • 2007 Lexus RX 350

3.5 L V6 FWD
    270 horsepower
    251 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.3 seconds
    20 mpg city/25 mpg highway
    U-LEV II

3.3 L V6 AWD
    270 horsepower
    251 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.4 seconds
    19 mpg city/24 mpg highway
    U-LEV II
  • 2006 Lexus RX 330 AWD - $37,770
    2006 Lexus RX 330 Front Wheel Drive - $36,370

2007 Lexus RX 350 AWD - $38,800
    2007 Lexus RX 350 Front Wheel Drive - $37,400
  • 2006 RX 330

3.3 L V6 FWD
    223 horsepower
    238 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.7 seconds
    19 mpg city/25 mpg highway

3.3 L V6 AWD
    223 horsepower
    238 lb-ft of torque
    5-Speed Automatic
    0-60: 7.8 seconds
    18 mpg city/24 mpg highway
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    A few weeks ago the lights went out on my radio/cd/tape buttons as well as the light by the shift knob showing what gear you are in. It turned out to be a 7.5 amp fuse in that fuse box in the driver's compartment. I replaced it and it worked fine for about a week. Yesterday it blew the fuse again. Seems if there was a short it would have blown the fuse right away. Any ideas?
  • I just purched rx330 3 days ago after reading the manual it states you should use premium gas. Does anybody ever use regular; and any pinning?
  • Krigly, I bought a new 330 at the end of January. I have been using the mid-grade with no problems. I haven't tried 87 oct.

Len
  • thanks Len for the info I just could not see why a 6 cylinder needed premium fuel...
  • In the past, the high compression ratio dicated the octane needed. But, with the newer computer controlled engines it seems to be much less important.

Len
  • swiftmswiftm Posts: 68
    Kriglv: I am on my third RX; current have 05; all of them used 87 octane without a problem. Enjoy your new car.
    Lugging the engine, asking the engine to accelerate the vehicle without the proper gear ratio (torque multiplication engaged) will also result, oftentimes, in engine knock/ping.

The piston cannot move downward as fast as the fuel/air mixture flame front is expanding and the resulting "knock/ping" can damage the engine.

If you are experiencing any level of the infamous engine/transaxle delay/hesitation then Lexus recommends the use of premium fuels to help alleviate the indecisiveness of the engine/transaxle ECU regarding downshift gear selection.
  • Well said; or written.

You sound like an ME.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    http://www.lexususa.com/models/rx_gateway.html

Note that with the debut of the 270 horsepower (SAE certified) RX350, the hybrid version has changed name- no longer the rather awkward RX400h, it is now called simply the RX Hybrid.

~alpha
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I think Lexus is watering down acceleration times with the RX and ES. There is no way the RX350, with 50 additional horses, is going to be only 4 tenths quicker to 60 than its 3.3L predecessor...

~alpha
  • We are very happy with our new 330(another 800 mile trip this weekend) but I've got to wonder when the 'stock' 18" wheel is going to change. Looks like '07 will be the third year for the same design. I'm not one to drop over $1K just to have something different but one different model for a modest upcharge would be interesting. We are coming off three Volvos in a row and the Volvo wheel chart is the size of a POSTER...
    many more than they need.

BTW, still looking for anyone with dealer-installed XM...wondering if you are happy with the set-up for the $695 our dealer wants.
    According to the road test results that I have seen, the 0-60 times for the RX330 were something like 8.9 seconds, a lot slower than Lexus claimed. Maybe the RX350 will actually do 7.4 seconds (AWD).
  • hyiuhyiu Posts: 18
    keep in mind acceleration of the car also depends on the gear ratio of the transmission, but not just the hp from the engine.
    And remember that the later FWD Cadillacs with the high HP/Torque NorthStar engine would automatically dethrottle the engine if the driver went WOT from a standing stop to alleviate loss of control from wheelspin/slip and horrid torque stear.

Most Joan Q's, likely the vast majority, don't buy SUVs for their 0-60 times regardless of HP rating.