Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Is $41200 the out the door price? They quoted $39262 for one without DVD player. For the DVD player, I would like the factory one. What color did you order/buy?
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Yes it's final price.
    Black forest pearl w/ivory interior
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Why not just skip the DVD and have your kids read or play games. That's what we do (3 kids) and it worked for me as a kid as well. Saves a ton of money.
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    The current issue of a leading consumer magazine looked at both factory and aftermarket entertainment units. They recommend factory entertainment units. I do too. I have on in my 2003 Acura MDX and will get one in the RX330 should I decide to purchase it as a second vehicle.
  • cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    Not a bad suggestion, but our 10 year-old takes after me and gets horribly car sick if he tries to read or play any games that require looking down (like his Game Boy, travel checkers, etc). I was actually a bit nervous that watching a DVD would have the same effect, but so far it hasn't. I suspect that it is because the screen is on the ceiling and he has to look up to watch it.

Craig
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Kids should be enjoying the scenery anyway. That's what vacations are for. They've got plenty of time for Game Boy, PlayStation, DVD, books, etc. when they are at home.

Or, call me crazy, but how about just some old-fashioned quality interaction with the parents?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Do any owners of the 330 miss having a key entry for the trunk-meaning a "hard" key?

Also, any comments from 330 owners who have, in the past owned the 300. Is the updated version really much better as far as ride and handling, etc?
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    No.
    Yes & Yes
  • dcrozdcroz Member Posts: 4
    I have had my RX since the beginning of Apr. Bought the Bamboo Pearl off the showroom floor at night (thought it was silver). When I went out the next morning, WOW!

The wife had been riding me since I traded the LS for a supercharged big block Suburban a while ago.

Only got 500 off retail (I've NEVER paid retail for a car); took a bath on the Trooper that I traded in to get it; and I didn't get Nav and backup camera that I wanted (they weren't there yet).

But every time I drive it, it all doesn't matter. This is one SWEET ride!
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Obviously, OEM systems can be integrated and built in better.

But after market brands like Alpine can bring some specs. that OEM equipment lack. For instance, one LCD screen they sell has 3 times the number of pixels that most mobile LCD displays have.

Of course, it may be hard to install such units as well as they're installed at the factory.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    typically have horrible ergonomics.

With a small and light portable you can view the screen from any position you like.

I try not to book flights on airlines that have the screen mounted in a fixed position. The ones with swivel/swing arms are so much more convenient.

Not likely to EVER buy a "captive" DVD system, so I must use the airlines as my example.
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    The DVD Entertainment system in my 2003 Acura MDX works very well. It can be controlled from the radio in the front, or from the buttons on the roof-mounted LCD in the rear. There is also an infrared remote that can be used - but remotes are the worst ergonomically speaking. The dash-mounted controls and roof-mounted controls are used the most. That's partly because they are always where you would expect them to be. There are no exposed wires. There's no need to reach under the seat or go to the trunk to load DVD's (DVD player is in the dash below the radio). If a small child falls asleep on a long drive watching SpongeBob, the driver can just turn the rear unit off with the press of one button. Hit the FM or CD button and your listening to music. On button controls whether the rear speakers play music (handy if you want your kid to stay asleep) so there is no need to fiddle with the balance. No aftermarket system I've seen comes close to the ergonomics and easy-of-use of the OEM system. If you have a car without an OEM system, it's probably better to get a portable, removeable system than it is to get an aftermarket system permanently installed. But there's one catch. Portable DVD players are very dangerous in an accident unless they are secured EXTREMELY well. There has been at least one fatality reported when a unit crushed a persons skull in an accident. How will you feel if the next fatality is in your vehicle because you chose the portable DVD player over the OEM system?
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    is all depend upon your personal. For me, if my kids are 5 years of age or older, I would not buy DVD. I rather have them enjoy the scenary while riding. Catoon, movied, games is enough at home, plus it can cause headache reading while riding (happen to me). My kid only have 16 months old and expecting another child soon, my wife and I think it is wise the have the DVD to keep the kids busy while waiting at the grocery or during traffic hours. Indeed, it's expensive option, I rather spend 1,840 on a laptop then get this little 7" screen DVD, but because of having young kids, therefore I buy it.
    It seems to me that I always covered the greatest distances at night when the kids were asleep in the back.

Can you imagine two kids NOT arguing over which one gets the choice of DVD entertainemnt and/or which one gets to set directly in front of the screen for the best view?

I would take my chances with portables, one for each kid.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I am sure this is a good item to consider. I first looked at SUV and minivan with DVD player. But my wife don't like it. It is too much for a kid or anyone. And it is only benefit to the rear passengers in a long trip. Second, can you imagine having two kids arguing over a different DVD movie they want to watch or who is blocking the view. And I think they are already fighting about who get the window seat.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against it. I do have an infant kid. But there are many ways to make them clam. I will still consider this option if the dealer is willing give me a good price on it. And I will not consider an aftermarket or having install the factory unit after delivery.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    What do you like so much more in the 330 vs the 300. Also, how do the radios compare? thanks
    Doesn't have an always flaccid VC, it uses brake modulation for AWD torque distribution, and it has, can have, air suspension, both really big plusses IMMHO.

And unlike My RX300, My RX330 will not have an utterly useless gps/nav.
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    Better handling, better road feel (I have the performance package), more luxurious, separate audio & Nav controls, and more gadgets, gadgets, gadgets.

I have the stock audio system, so the audio sound is similar, which ain't bad.
  • sp007sp007 Member Posts: 3
    I like the way adb3 was asked a question and Willy stuck his 2-cents in. Some things never change, hee hee.

Hey Willy, still don't understand how the center-differential setup works on the RX300, do ya?? Maybe I'll explain it to you AGAIN someday.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    lol
  • vasu_21401vasu_21401 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Any body has seen the RX-330 with multi-panel sun roof option!? I could not find any pictures with multipanel sunroof!! Can some on post a link or a site where I can see how the whole set up looks like. Local dealers does not have one with this option. If I chose the multipanel sunroof, can I get the rear seat entertainment system option?
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    I'm sure the 330 will appeal to many. I find it to be very over done. I like the understated nature of the 300. The 330 is gawdy. Center console is useless compared to the 300. Gauge cluster just looks odd to me. Power liftgate is useful for what? You tell me. Glad I could find a used RX 300 (2003) as I wouldn't purchase the new version.
    I think they turned the SC430 (butt ugly outside, god awful on the inside)interior designer loose on the RX330.

One of the first things I will do is powder coat the aluminum pieces some matching color.

Otherwise I think the RX330 is a real beauty, fully open center diff'l (front and rear too) and all.
  • skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    The coolest things about my RX 330 are the air suspension and the power liftgate. Actually I probably like the way it drives at freeway speeds the best. I came from an 01 Denali that was the worst high speed frwy vehicle that I have ever owned and I have bought over 25 new cars. Only downer is that I am still waiting for the trailer hitch to be released. Skip
    Two situations that I can think off right away.

1. Ever tried raising a trunk or hatch with an arm-full of groceries?

2. Closing a wet/dirty gate without getting your fingers dirty.

They seem insignificant, but, hey, it all adds up!
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    bodble2 wrote:

"Two situations that I can think off right away.

1. Ever tried raising a trunk or hatch with an arm-full of groceries?"

my answer: No. That's why I use a shopping cart to carry groceries. Besides, ever try getting your keys out of your pocket or purse with an arm-full of groceries? Just as tricky.

"2. Closing a wet/dirty gate without getting your fingers dirty."

my take: Never had an issue on my RX300 because the lift gate has a nifty handle/nook inside to utilize to close the hatch. Best part, it quick to locate and I can close it as fast or slow as I want. No searching for a button anywhere.

just my .02 cents. :-)
  • tsmith67tsmith67 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone tinted the windows on the front doors to match the tint on the rest of the car? How did it look? Was it hard to match. Did it cause any visability problems? I plan on buying a crystal white and tinting the front to match the rest. I think it would contrast the white great.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    At least it isn't in CA.

Has tinting gotten better? Cuz in my car, the tint started to bubble up in 2 or 3 years.

The heat from the sun takes it's toll on the adhesive they use on the glass.

Maybe if cars come from the factory that way, they could embed the tinted layer inside the glass.
    I was just using groceries as one example. Other equally likely scenerios are regular shopping, picking up your drycleaning, etc. No shopping carts available for those! What I do is get my keys out before leaving the store. I can easily have the keys in my hand while carrying other stuff and easily pop the trunk/hatch when I get to the car. And with the power gate -- Voila!

And re: closing. I know there is an inside handle. But do you not still have to push on the outside to slam it shut?

You see, the Japanese are masters at inventing devices to make life's mundane tasks simpler and easier. The power gate is one such device. It ain't no cure for cancer, but it will make life more enjoyable.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    You see, the Japanese are masters at inventing devices to make life's mundane tasks simpler and easier. The power gate is one such device. It ain't no cure for cancer, but it will make life more enjoyable.

Hmmmm. I think a DC minivan was the first with power doors and liftgate followed by the 2003 navigator. Japanese hardly invent anything what they do is study it and make it more reliable and usually of a better quality. Lexus itself has invented nothing everything available on there cars was available elsewhere first they just try to perfect it.
    What we need to learn is that it is okay to copy someone's else's excellent design. If Ford were to set out to copy (and then improve) the LS430 that would be more than fine by me.
  • albdocalbdoc Member Posts: 23
    Well than why FX , which is japanese and is a copy , why not navigator which is original . I bet everyone on this board knows the answer.........
    I guess you're right. What Japanese "invent" is the prefectication and the successfully marketing of someone else's idea, all the while undercutting them in price.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    bodble2 wrote:

"And re: closing. I know there is an inside handle. But do you not still have to push on the outside to slam it shut?"

My answer: No. the inside handle does just fine. No mess no fuss.

I have no doubt gadgets like the power lift gate will appeal to some, but to me it's potentially another item that will wear down or break or malfunction and probably after the warranty expires, too. And that, you see, does nothing to enhance my enjoyment of life.

Regards.
  • trillium1trillium1 Member Posts: 10
    I do remember a Ford CEO once quipped that the only thing the Japanese invented for the automobile was the coin box (which is missing in the RX330). But Ford continued to fail to match the appeal of Japanese cars, at least among us who purchased a Lexus and not a Lincoln. But I also remember reading reviews after reviews on the RX330 that credited Lexus for starting this cross-over trend which was then copied by MB, BMW, and now even Proche. People had written books about the Japanese' art of re-innovation, it is hardly a subject we can easily dissect in this forum.

By the way, Bodble2, to activate the power back door on the RX330 with the remote, you have to first of all press the unlock button twice timed no closer than 500 ms apart or longer than 2 seconds apart, AND then press the power door button for 2 seconds. Not exactly as convenient as you conceived it to be. (Although part of the sequence can be reprogrammed.) And I still have my grouch about having to wait a few seconds for the back door to lower and close before I can lock the car and walk away. I will pass this "innovative" idea to Lexus -- program the computer as such: Received lock door command -- check if lift gate is open -- if yes, close and then lock car, if not, lock car. The Japanese can copy this idea and perhaps improve on it.
    the Porsche Cayenne is a crossover. It seems to be "pure" SUV, (huge, over-powered, heavy, etc, etc.) like the landcruiser, say, and for that reason, and many others, it will fail in the "broader" marketplace.

Porsche should have cloned the AWD RX, added RWD torque biasing, a decent european style climate control, and a 4 banger with excellent cruising fuel economy but with some "kick" using a variable speed supercharger driven from batteries charged from regenerative braking.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    The new styling update for 2004 is just the right mix of sportiness and luxury needed to maintain its torrid sales pace. We all know that the RX accounts for over 50 percent of Lexus sales.

The prior body style very successful in its own right is a little long in the tooth and starting to look dowdy. Especially next to the new RX330.

I am deciding now between buying the new RX and the new Infiniti FX35.

The last Lexus that I owned was a SC300 and the quality was not that great. There were many repairs that I would not have expected based on the Lexus quality reputation.

Any comments on the FX verses the RX???
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Depends on what your goals are...

I've test driven both and we're learning toward a 330 late this year - but we're also biased because we have a RX300 now and it's been great.

RX is more luxurious and the FX is better handling; FX35 also has more power than the RX (280 vs. 230 hp).

For some folks, handling and power are important; for others that carry dogs in the back, you can't use more power or handling or a high dollar stereo...because, simply, The Dogs Don't Like It...and they don't particularly want to discuss the matter!

RX has more interior storage room; FX's rear is more sloped; FX seems wider as well. Fit & finish on RX330 better than RX300 and better IMO than the FX. FX interior materials feel and look less expensive than RX.

Exterior styling is a personal choice for each buyer. Infiniti has gone after a niche market with the more cutting-edge FX's 20" rims, etc. while RX330 is more a revision of the original '99 RX300.

I have a Lexus dealer and an Infiniti dealer down the street where I live, facing each other across the main boulevard. I go by there twice a day and I see 20-25 FXs sitting there and if the Lexus dealer has one RX330 on the lot, it's gone within a day or two.

Which doesn't mean one vehicle is inherently "better" than another; after all, Lexus has a pretty loyal base of customers that have purchased what, 350-400k RX300s over the past 5 years? So they have a built-in advantage in moving more units in this segment.

Unfortunately both manufacturers make you buy expensive packages of options if you want Nav (right, Willard?) but Infinit's pack is ridiculous, up in the $9-10k arena. And with that pack you have to take the harder riding Sports suspension. Cheaper to make cars with less variables, I know, but now manufacturers are at the stage of losing potential sales because of the inflexibility. Too bad.

The final factor is reliability and service - I've had two Infiniti vehicles and three Lexii - and, while the Infinity dealer service was good, it didn't reach the Lexus level. Of course your location and dealer situation may dictate otherwise.

Good luck - both are excellent vehicles - just different target audiences. Lexus was smart to revise the RX and not replace it; Infiniti was smart to stay out of the RX's way by blazing a different trail.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    A simpler way to solve the hold 2 seconds or unlock whatever first is to have one more button on the remote like the remote for the DC Vans. Lexus should have copied that two.
    When I see the FX on the road it mostly reminds me of a hen's egg coming at me large end forward. And were they really trying to capture the look of the dramatically imposing front end of those horrid looking dodge pickups?

And I have to admit that the large over-sized wheels always remind me of the "back to the future" car fitted with those wagon wheels.

It's a frustrating time for me, I really like the fact that the FX is primarily RWD torque biased but just simply cannot stand the appearance.

So for the moment I'm settled on the new RX, but sorta wanting to see what the new X3 will be like.
    but somehow I always think it really rightfully belongs in some Japanese cartoon.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I bought the infinti for performance, value, service and reliability something I have not received from my american cars. Best I have done on my american cars is 2/4 right now my infinti has satisfied me in all regards. Does not mean that it is "original" but it fits "me". Unlike you I will not come on this board and degrade the rx330. I am sure it is a fine vehicle for those that choose it. Just in no way is it the vehicle for me.
    Which option package did you get for your RX330? Actually, for me the power gate is a so-so feature. I can take it or leave it. Truth be told I'd rather have the Sport Package except Lexus Canada does not offer the 6-disc changer with the Sport Package. So, since I don't want the multi-panel roof nor the ultra-premium package (too much $$$), I'm looking at the premium package (with the power gate) almost by default.

BTW, when you said you have to press the unlock button twice first, that would be to unlock the doors right, not the rear gate. You also said you can't press the buttons more than 2 seconds apart. What happens if you do? The doors don't unlock, or just the driver door unlocks?
  • jjsanijjsani Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone recently purchased a RX 330 in either PA, NJ, DE, MA or DC and gotten a discount off MSRP. I'm in the process of placing a order and wanted to see where the discounts are, if any.

I appreciate any information out there.
  • squacksquack Member Posts: 27
    Unique? Yes. Masculine? Ehhh, The FX looks like something Ace and Gary from the SNL cartoon would drive.
    They look like PT cruiser on steroids , moderate dose (FX35) and severe doses(FX45).
  • trillium1trillium1 Member Posts: 10
    I got the ultra premium package because I wanted the gps nav system, and I enjoy it (indeed according to my dealer, this is the most popular package). The ML audio is very good indeed. I do not care about the DVD entertainment system since I do not have children to travel with. I would love to have the laser cruise control but I do not like the Sports package. I am a lay-back driver and want the wood trim and CD-changer. So I picked the ultra premium package.

Hard to say if the package is good value or not. Like all other extras and luxaries we want in life, they are never of value in the economic sense.

Mind you though, a fully loaded Toyota Highlander actually costs more than the base model RX330.

The rear gate is treated the same as the other passenger doors. It cannot be unlocked by itself. It is unlocked and locked along with all the other passenger doors. That's why you have to push the remote twice to unlock before you can open the rear gate (regardless of whether you use the power function or not). When I allowed too long an interval between the two clicks on the remote, only the driver door was opened. I am going to ask the dealer to reprogram it so that all doors will open with one click.
  • mwertheimmwertheim Member Posts: 7
    Just picked up a Flint Mica with Premium Plus package, 18" wheels, Nav/ML and DVD. Sticker was $46,803. I ended up paying $44,399. $2400 off seemed like a pretty good deal. It was late when we finished the arm wrestling so I'll pick it up in the morning after it's been detailed. Can't wait!
  • lmoraleslmorales Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else had this problem? Over the past 4 weeks, the NAV system has not worked (screen gone blank) on a couple of instances. It usually lasts about 2-3 days and then will start working. When I turn the car on, the screen comes up and then looks like it is continously rebooting. It will then go dark, the only screens working are the non-Nav screens (i.e. Climate, Display, Info). The last time this happened, the screen came back while I was driving (the 3rd day). Thanks
    I have done close to 2000 miles on my RX 330 .I have not had any problem with the Nav.You should take it your dealer.
    Has any one been able to play DVD on the Nav screen while driving, if yes can you tell us the secret.