Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• barry1939barry1939 Member Posts: 6
    John
    Look closely in the area around the oil dip stick tube. That's where mine was.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Merry Christmas and thank you for the little trip down memory lane. I remember seeing one of the turbine cars in the 1960s here in San Diego.

ULSD:
    I have used only BP ULSD in my Passat TDI since buying it new in April. No static that I have noticed in filling. Less foam than regular #2 that I bought on a trip in my Mercedes Sprinter. According to the BP ECD website this ULSD they are now selling in CA is the stuff that is mandated. I have no real point of reference as to mileage as that is all I have used since the dealer provided #2 diesel in Oregon. According to the BP web site any diesel that BP or ARCO sells is at least LSD less than 30 PPM sulfur. If you have a BP station in your area you may try their diesel. It should have an ECD posted on the pump.
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I don’t know if anyone from Jeep reads this, or any other forum, nor do I know that they even care about what problems/suggestions owners may be talking about. In any event, after 15k miles and 8 months of a positive experience with my “sport” CRD (build date 2/05) I thought I would use this forum to make suggestions to Jeep. So, here goes my list:

1. Get rid of the stock ST tires. They not only under perform, but also they are dangerous in even just the rain.
    2. Stop jerking people around about the EGR valve. Just replace the damn things and don’t force the dealers to go through hoops to order replacements. Clearly, a large number of them (possibly all) are defective in some manner and need to be replaced.
    3. How about some additional electric power plugs in the front. My XTERRA had 2 in the front and 2 in the back, certainly Jeep can provide same.
    4. Build more storage areas into the Jeep. There is a definite lack of places to put thing.
    5. Under rear deck storage would be good too.
    6. Be more clear in the owner’s manual concerning both oil type and turbo cool down requirements. These two areas are very confusing and have caused many posts.
    7. The sun roof inner cover should not fully close unless the sun roof is closed as well. All my other cars have this feature which prevents leaving the roof open by mistake
    8. The auto lock system should not beep (locked) unless all doors are actually closed.
    9. Certify the CRD for at least B-20. It is clear that the vehicle will work with higher percentages than B-5 and, if Jeep really believes in bio-diesel as an alternative, the vehicle should be certified at the highest amount of BD possible.
    10. Include cross bars on the roof racks as a standard item. Buyers should not have to spend extra on such from Tule, or Yakima, or Jeep.

That’s my list. Maybe others have different suggestions.
  • feltoncfeltonc Member Posts: 6
    I haven't been reading the post lately, but am now ready to replace the OEM Wrangler ST tires. My spouse drives the CRD primarily and 99.9% of the miles are highway. I would prefer to stay with the 225/75R16 size and wet road traction and low road noise is the main concern. Any help?
  • anomiousanomious Member Posts: 170
    Hi! Check out the Bridgestone Alenza They are rated very highly on the Tire Rack.com chart. My wife loves hers, especially in the rain. I upsized to 245-70-16 they have good clearance and only change the speedometer by 0.7%. The dealer can correct this with the computer.
    Best of luck! LK
  • rnaborsrnabors Member Posts: 25
    I went to the Bridgestone Alenza's. They are very quite and excellent in the rain and light snow. I decided to go up 1 size to 235/75/16 which gives a little more rubber on the road and gives more ground clearance.
    The speedometer can be adjusted by the dealer to compensate for the slightly taller tire.
    I also added a skid plate under the transmission---with the taller tires and skid plate the exposed oil filter is much better protected.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The 235-75-16 is off by 2.0% At 60 on the speedo you are going 61.2 mph.

The 245-70-16 is only off by 0.7%. At 60 you are going 60.4 mph.

Both have good clearance. The dealer can correct the speedo with the computer.
    Cheers! LK :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    General Grabber AT2 are good tires. They are not the optimum tire for 99% on highway use.
    If you do any off road or off pavement driving they are the best tire for the price. $70 each at tirerack in OEM size and not much more for larger sizes.
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    With the diesel the Liberty can be a real work horse on a ranch. It's not a two and from work vehicle. Don't expect it to get great miles on the road just because it has a diesel. Put the diesel in the right place it will out perform a gaser all day long while getting better mileage.

Don't look for diesels except in large work trucks. The guys on that little island say no to diesel and that is the way it will be.
  • knockout18knockout18 Member Posts: 2
    I'm new the forum but I have found the postings very helpful and interesting.

I'm interested in purchasing a 2006 CRD.

Does anyone have any advice on options or packages they would or would not order.

I'm considering either a Sport or Limited, but leaning towards a Sport.

(A talked with a DC mechanic and he didn't recommend the leather seats, from a comfort standpoint on long trips)

Does anyone have any other opinions on the extra options or things to must get or avoid.

thanks for the info
    looking forward to driving one on a regular basis.
  • whitgallmanwhitgallman Member Posts: 121
    At Christmas Dinner yesterday I asked my Dad about the Wrangler STs on my Jeep CRD.
    He's worked with mostly truck tires at Goodyear (retail) for 50 years. He agreed that the ST is a glorified passenger car tire, but added that if you want a Goodyear of that specific size they can only offer the ST.

What size Wrangler GT is standard on the '97 Chevy Tahoe? 245/75/16 That's where I'd go next if it fits. (employee coupons ;)
    Previous note said the dealer could electronically correct the speedo.
    I just got my '06 CRD and got the Limited (22G)(yes heated leather seats) with towing package.
    I agree w/ DC mech, some. Leather is kind of slippery. But the seats in general are uncomfortable because they are so short (I'm 6'-5") and give little support under the thighs.
    I didn't want a sunroof because I feared it would take up head room and may leak or quit working someday.
    Some said the HD radiator in the towing package may lead to problems w/ warm up with some relation to clogging EGR valve.
    I liked the other toys on the 22G pack like average fuel economy data.
    I'm selling a perfectly comfortable and much more fuel efficient 2000 Impala for my diesel fettish.
    We got this fancy "Remaining Useful Life Evaluation Rig" RULER at work. Maybe I could sample some Mobil 1 0W-40 from a CRD when it gets above 8,000 mi to see what we get. It only checks remaining oxidation stability, not measure soot or pentane insoluble content.
    I put on 245/70/16 Michelin LTX M/S and am very happy with both the ride and traction. They are about the same price as the Bridgestone which alot of people put on, but I won't buy tires from Bridgestone/Firestone due to their corporate irresponsibility on defective tires, but that is just me. With the 245/70 size you won't have to change out your spare.
  • synlubessynlubes Member Posts: 184
    sorry folks but k@n filters pass lots of dirt and also are wiping map sencers probably no more oil filters any more
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    More here too:

K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?

Steve, Host
  • lightnin3lightnin3 Member Posts: 153
    Hi Whit ,
    How did you come by these findings?
    Are all diesel fuels created equal here in North America?
    or ,Are some better ?

If I use Shell more often than not, I have been faring better than other brands, but I have heard with the new Exxon refineries built they will be a better grade.

Are you saying That Regular diesel will give better mpg's?

Speak Soon
    Lightnin3...
    Hi Knockout ! I am glad to hear that there is another interested Jeep buyer.
    I got the fully loaded Limited.I find the leather seats very comfortable.
    My suggestion would be to get what you want.
    Try it out for a ride with leather seats.
    You make the decision.
    I'll tell you the heated seats are very nice in the cold winter.Escecially if you have a women companion.

2/Get a good set of All Terrain tires for her.At least while at the dealer trade them for the Michelins',or get your own and put them on.
    I have seen the Goodyears',and B.F goodrich Allterrain T/A as very good as well,but for noise factor I would get a Kevlar belted version that just came out.They are very quiet.These have maximum traction.
    3 /I would suggest not getting the Satillite radio unless you really want it.But myself I suggest rather get a Garmin GPS that is portable,and use your own CD's,at a 1/4 the cost.
    4/ Definitely spend the $300 for a class 3, 2 inch sleeve towing packeage,with a 1,7/8" in ball .These are most common for for trailers.
    You never know when you might want to tow a trailer,or bike rack /and ski rack.
    But this gives some options for you,where it makes the vehicle more useful for you.
    4/ Jeep seat covers and rear area cover to keep her clean.
    Thats it .
    Happy Holidays and Happy hunting.. ;)
    Speak Soon ..
    Lightnin3..

I am very satisfied with a set of Sport kings T/A 's, for snow and Ice.But I have a second set of rims just for winter use .
  • jarlenejarlene Member Posts: 3
    My dipstick in 05 CRD is marked Minimum and Maximum-at what level is more oil required? Oil level is presently at "Minimum" marking-Does it take 1 Quart to get up to maximum or do I wait until level goes below Minimum before adding. The amount to go from Minimum to Maximum-does anyone know??

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Jay">link title
    Corporate irresponsibility ????

You did buy a CRD :shades:
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    1 quart at minimum line. Your sales person and the shop foreman should have taken time to explain this. Go back and ask for a full tour, or get your dime back.

Farout
    Thanks for the info-my car is still new with 800 miles on it
    Jay
    Yeah, twice that I know of: once in the mid 70s and recently with the explorer fiasco Bridge/Firestone initially denied a problem and later pitched a fit when they were forced to replace them. Their actions cost people their lives. I won't deal with that company anymore, but again, as I said, thats me.
    I had a 05 Liberty Limited that I bought in Jan. 05. I traded it in on a Sport CRD on Sept.29. I like the Sport much better. The cloth seats are so much more comfortable. The 17' tires on the Limited are much higher in price.

The first thing I would and did do is put on tires that match your driving conditions. I went with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 245 70 16 and had the dealer make the correction for the oversize tire. There was a $34. charge. There is no rubbing and the tires are very quiet I am pleased.

Then have the dealer put on the molded Liberty mud flaps. If you don't expect mud and water and other wet junk to even be on your drivers and passengers front door handles.

Something I thought would be a big waste of money, but the Sport came with it is the rear cargo organizer. The sticker price was $250. and to my wife and my surprise it is really worth every penny!

We enjoy the power sunroof. The 6 CD stereo is a nice extra.

Now for me this is not an extra but a must. I always buy the Daimler Chrysler Service Contract. I get the 5 years Max care $0 deductible. The dealer can with some real insistence on your part get you a 3 year interest free contract as I described for $1,540.00 They will try every way to tell you they can't do it. But they don't get any money until you pay all the money off. They do get $100. at the end of the payments. This is a very good bargaining tool when you come to closing the deal.

See if you can get your dealer to give you as many free oil changes as possible. They run from $69. to $90. depending on the dealer.

So go forth and find the American Dream..... Nothing compares to a JEEP.

Farout
    You might check it at every fill up until you use a quart. I used my first quart at 3,800miles, now at 7,400 it still says full. Happy new year and Peace on Earth.

Farout
  • feltoncfeltonc Member Posts: 6
    After driving a gasoline 2002 Liberty for 117,000 miles I traded for a 2006 CRD. After 7700 miles I like the switch.

I have leather seats and wouldn't trade them for anything. Especially the heated seats in the Minnesota winter. I did not find the leather uncomfortable in the summer. The six way power seats are most important. My sons are 6ft 7in tall. They don't take mom's Liberty too often! Just be sure you have enough leg room. Also enough head room. The sun roof does take out some head room.

The biggest disappointment are the Wrangler ST tires.. They are fine on ice and snow but there is very little control on wet roads.
  • johnloehrjohnloehr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I finally found it today; I had seen the cord, but the plug was buried and I was afraid to cut the zip ties and look for it until I got a chance to look at another CRD today. (The owners manual says it is on the left side of the engine attached to the heater hose, in the 3.7 litre only!) Thanks again for the help and Merry Christmas.
  • johnloehrjohnloehr Member Posts: 4
    I've had my CRD for seven months and about10k miles, with no trouble other than a checkengine light early on that the dealer said was an EGR problem and fixed. (I think it was replaced because they had to wait a week for parts) The car has plenty of power, accelerates well, and is fun to drive, and I say this from the perspective that my other car is 1999 Porsche Carrera. I live on 90 acres on the east slope of the blue ridge mountains and do quite a bit of off road driving. The CRD seems to similar geometry to my 1997 Wrangler, and so far has performed well in mud and snow on the trails; I would say it is the equal of my old Wrangler, and superior to my 1992 Range Rover, although as a pure off roader maybe not quite as good as my 1988 Comanche. I also towed our 22 foot Airstream camper this summer and the CRD performed well. It was very stable while towing on the highway and the short wheelbase made maneuvering the trailer into tight campsites a breeze. I've been consistently getting 20-22 mpg in local driving and 25-27 on the highway, which I consider excellent for a vehicle with theses capabilities and definitely an improvement over both the Rover and the 2000 Durango we traded in on the Liberty. It also gets considerably better mileage than either of my Wranglers (one was a 2.5l 4 cyl 5 speed manual and the other 4.0l auto; I was never able to get 20mpg with either, in the same type of driving as the CRD) Oh yes, while Virginia is not the great whit north, we have had a number of 16f mornings already this winter and the CRD has always started easily and with no use of the block heater to date.
    Sorry to be so long winded, but the Christmas holiday has left me with some leisure time and I thought this forum could use some specific good news about the CRD performance. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Thanks for all the answers

Jay
    Welcome to the Forum. Stories like your's make me think I could use a Jeep CRD. Have a great new Year.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    I stay here, get lost a lot lately, i don't seem to be going to the forum or researching unlimited as much.
    Somehow, I linked to

thedieselpage.com/mileage.htm

I was considering a Renegade with the 3.55 rear end before the first jeep we drove was the crd and purchased it. This article, although about gm diesels, clears a lot up about the torque curve, rear end gears, speed, and mpg's.

Those of you smarter than me may find this boring.
    Santa is getting us an aero turbine 2525 muffler tomorrow.
  • crd4me2crd4me2 Member Posts: 26
    I have an order in for the 2006 Liberty, 22G package also and most all the bells and whistles. (Ordered 10/05 and expected 02/06 now!) Anyway - I'm considering dropping the Sirius radio option and getting the GPS navigation instead. I read somewhere that you can add Sirius to the GPS system, since they are both satellite. It seems that would work, that I'd just have to sign up for satellite radio service after the fact. But I'm curious to know that it does indeed work as I'm thinking it should. Has anyone done this?

I know I could just use my handheld GPS and my own CD's, but I'm in the position to be able to get all the options if I want and I just may! Would help IF I ever decided to sell it someday down the road.
    Anyone who knows if this would work, please let me know soon as it's getting close to build time!
    Thanks all!
    Michelle (crd4me2)
  • patentguypatentguy Member Posts: 45
    I have the GPS navigation system on my CRD and I was hesitant about getting it at first. But now, after I have used it, I can't imagine not having it. It is great.

You can easily add Sirius to the RB1 radio at any time. It is strange why they do not make the GPS and Sirius available together from the factory.

To add Sirius to the RB1, you will need to add an antenna and some wiring. This is not a do it yourself job for most people, but it is easy for any Sirius or Jeep dealer installer.
  • sailormonsailormon Member Posts: 48
    Some time ago I mentioned going south to fl. I found interesting results on mileage. At first results were as most are getting in cold weather, about 23-25,this with less than 4000 mi. I did use additives and as I went along, I finally got mileage results which were very good. In fact after getting to GA. and on we got 32 at 60 mph, 30 at 65 mph and maintained 29 at 70. For those who wonder about possibilities, good results can be abtained. I may go off the fuel additive and see if there is a diferance other than power service. I would still like to make a trip at 55 to see what the results would be, we seem to be in a hurry most of the time however. Of note, we are like others here in Punta Gorda traffic, getting 22-23 is all in city driving.
    In short we are very happy with our 06 and it's performance. Happy sailing, BR
  • sgrolsgrol Member Posts: 1
    Am looking into the Liberty CRD. One quick question: What is the oil capacity of the 2.8 CRD engine.
    Way to go Sailorman !!
    Yahhhh Baby ! Well it's about time you got some results..
    Just keep track of those tire pressures.

They should be chacked periodically and kept at 35 psi.

.. And stick to a premium diesel fuel at a higher cetane.It's worth the extra 30 cents,as that will give an extra 90 miles out of that tank full.
    Ya ! go ahead and experiment without using the cetane improver.
    But what you are going to really notice is as I expect.. ,

a reduction in Mpg's over a tank full.experiment with regular and premium over a weeks time...
    You'll also have better mileage at a 45 mph range as well if you can find a side road to travel on at that speed.

A lubricity additive will be important when travelling from a warm climate , to a colder climate as the chance of getting water in fuel will be higher when filling.

Adding this will ensure an averagely higher percentage of burnable fuel .As it changes the water composition chemically to something similar to Kerosene.
    This is worth every dollar or as I say .., BANG ! for your BUCK ! for mpg's,and a cetane improver is a BONUS,as this will help get you up to cruising speed faster and minimal rpm's for cruising for Max efficiency of mpg's.
    Well I 'll be heading down that way myself in April to test her out,and whack ! some balls on the greens ..
    Happy Holidays...
    Lightnin3 ...
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    To answer you about the fuel sulfur levels in Europe:
    I clearly say we are not documented sufficiently to give a formal statement. The only info I can share comes from local experience and colleagues from eastern Europe. Going to LSDiesel is underway, and to ULSD is related to procurement of the necessary lubricity improver, ie methylester. The ULSD Bio-diesel I'm buying is a swiss-blended french refined crude oil mixed with german grown canola oil methylester. Prices differ quite a bit between normal and ULSD, but I've never heard of repeated mileage improvement from any user.
    The oils used in the common rail engines are 15-40 semi-synthetic and 5-40 full synthetic. The 0-40 grade has not been recommended for diesels or 'boxer' type engines (Porsche, Subaru, etc).
    Oil change interval was 12,000 miles using semi-synthetic and is now 15-20,000 miles using full-synthetic.
    Fuel filters are usually changed at ~30,000 miles and are not the fancy Parker-Racor type I have now on this Jeep. I should be able to keep it 50,000 miles at least.
    What needs be looked at seriously to my opinion is the air filter that I find undersized for someone living in a dusty environment.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    The oil fill capacity according to the owners manual is 6.4 quarts, including the oil filter.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Funny thing about the air filter. I had an Isuzu diesel car over twenty years ago with a 1.8L diesel engine. I remember the air filter being a bit larger than the air filter in the CRD. It was an oiled filter, but there was no MAF. I do not recall an oily film inside the tube running from the air filter to the intake manifold. I change the air filter yearly, unless it is a K&N. It is cheap insurance. I will not be using the K&N in the CRD because the engine pulls way too much air for that filter to handle. If K&N built a filter strictly for the CRD,I would consider it.

As to the engine oil, 0W-40 is just way too light and the viscosity spread is just too wide for my taste. I am using a 5W-40 now (synthetic) and will switch to a 15W-40 synthetic this summer for better engine protection. I have a long trip or two planned for this summer to Florida. The wife and I are looking to relocate there by next fall.

The fuel filter will be change yearly too, but considering the poor quality of U.S. diesel fuel, it is better than having a ruined injection system. I will stick with the stock filter system for now.
    amsoil is marketing new air filters that looks good it is made by donaldson they are doing away with all oil air filters k@n passes to much dirt not available yet for the crd
  • indianrefiningindianrefining Member Posts: 102
    You ran only 70mph on I-75 through Georgia and lived to tell about it? That's amazing!
    I ran from the Christmas tree to the Jeep with my K&N in hand. I think I got 0.5 mpg better with it on my standard run from the Flying J truckstop to my exit on I-85. Other factors could explain.
    The original filter has some notes on it like "98%" of something. Maybe more research will show an ASTM test we can get numbers from to show CFM and particle size for the two filters. The original had many tight pleats.
    I was missing the daytime running lights that my Chevy had and researched a solution based on the Canadian version had them so there must be a simple fix.

The dealer got a relay pt.#56042216-AB or 8052328 ($42.60 retail) for it.
    This relay replaces the 4671168E relay.
    You open the fuse cover in the left end of the dash board, pull out the 4671168E relay, put in the 56042216-AB, they are different sizes and go in slightly different holes. The 56042216-AB looks bigger and has cooling fins like it has some resister in it that cuts the voltage to the headlight bulbs when in daytime mode.
    He then went into the "Body Computer" and told it the body was Canadian.
    I'm sure no one else will think daytime running lights are important enough to do this but I thought I'd file the experience.
    How did you guys say you get access to the body computer?
    I could not find a K&N filter for the Liberty CRD. I put one on my Suburban 350 CI and found no improvement in mileage. I went back to the dealer that sold it to me and they said I needed a better exhaust system to take advantage of the increased intake airflow. So about $800 later I had a noisier Suburban and the same 13 MPG around town and 17 MPG on the highway. I'm a skeptic. You can buy a lot of OEM filters for the cost of a K&N filter.

They look kinda cool though.
    Thanks Caribou1.
    Yes Bio-diesel adds lubricity and adds oxygenates that help the fuel burn cleaner.
    Another thing that increases lubricity is the Bio-Bor JF biocide made by Hammonds chemical.
    The big US pipelines have refused to allow lubricity additives in the ULSD to be shipped by pipe because it contaminates the Jet fuel. The Distributor will have to add it. We (at work) can't qualify the distributor but we can take credit for the lubricity of the biocide we add. We'll be calibrating the lubricity of Bio-Bor JF before Fall. Everyone should consider using a biocide in their diesel fuel a couple of times a year.
    Chevron has an excellent booklet on Diesel fuel that can be down loaded
    http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/diesel/
    Stock # 33-2233
    I looked for 2006 model. That looks simple enough to me. I spent about $390 getting one installed in the Suburban. That experience kind of turned me off on K&N. A drop in replacement would not be a bad idea.

Keep us posted on your mileage.
  • chiefusnchiefusn Member Posts: 20
    K & N air filter....Modern day snake oil
    you got it k@n filters pass lots of dirt
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Member Posts: 710
    We got our aero turbine 2525 installed today at Sportscar Performance in Arlington, TX. We are not affiliated with either aero turbine or Sportscar Performance. Click on aero link for picture:
    aero