Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Transmission problems with Lexus ES?

Comments

• bikegalbikegal Member Posts: 50
    Never, ever buy a car without driving it first. When I told an Infiniti salesman I had to drive the actual car I was thinking of buying he told me some crap about they don't let the new cars be driven, try this one. I got my keys and proceeded to leave. That changed his tune.

When I was considering buying an used Lexus from Carmax they wanted me to pay a non-refundable transportation fee, since the car was in Houston. If I didn't buy the car once it arrived I lost my money. I told them to beat it.

I never would have my 2005 Lexus if I hadn't driven it first.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I believe the 2007 ES will get the new 3.5L 280 hp V6 engine currently being used in the new Avalon. Like the new Avy I think it will most likely be released in Spring of 2006 rather than Fall. The new Avalon has what is called a solid state electronic throttle control system and judging by the reviews it has no hesitation problem. Just about all the reviews from owners and magazine reviewers have been very positive.
    There is a review in USA TODAY, see earlier post for link, that says there is a hesitation in the Avalon at slow speeds.
    That seems to be the only review that mentions about the transmission anomaly. However, I have read at least 5 other reviews that doesn't mention anything about the transmission problem. The overwhelming majority of the reviews praise how smoothly and effortlessly the new engine and the transmission works. So I will have to the USA TODAY review with a grain of salt. Also, if you check the Avalon board you would see that new owners are starting to post their ownership experience. Just about everybody is very happy with the car.
  • kreativkreativ Member Posts: 299
    "That seems to be the only review that mentions about the transmission anomaly. However, I have read at least 5 other reviews that doesn't mention anything about the transmission problem."

The same statement could be used concerning initial reviews of the redesigned 2002 ES300.

I pretty much expect praise when reading car reviews, especially in cases in which the publisher wants to remain on the manufacturer's good side (for advertising reasons, etc.). But I think as long as 1 review mentions an issue, it should be duly noted if you are one that might be seriously bothered by the mentioned issue. After all, there are many people happy with the ES300 5spd transmission and are oblivious to any "issues" with it that others are experiencing.

Seeing user reviews from those who couldn't stand the previous 5-spd transmission but find the new one in the Avalon to be silky smooth after daily driving would be most convincing.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    You mean an ES faster than a more $$+performance 2006 GS (245HP)? Mmmm........ Why bother spending $10K more on a GS then, just RWD?

I thought Avalon is more like Toyota's LS, not ES.
  • icrmanicrman Member Posts: 23
    The fly by wire control for the accelerator sounds pretty dangerous to me.(Just page up some and read about pushing the gas pedal and no responce) Wait till some people get killed because they had no throttle responce on a high speed freeway. Like the return to rear wheel drive, engine and transmission control needs to go the other direction. That is eliminate the electronics. Not only does it cost more to fix, but it is like the old TV repair of years back, a .50 part can equate into a $4000. repair bill. Only way to stop it is to stop buying the cars with the crap on them.
  • jragosta1jragosta1 Member Posts: 49
    It's actually not the drive by wire controls, per se.

Lexus wants their car classified as an ULEV vehicle and wants to maximize MPG. The concern is that when you step on the gas, you don't want the fuel injectors dumping lots of fuel into the system until the rpms are high enough to get enough air to burn it properly. If you just dump the fuel in instantaneously (which the dbw system should be able to do), a lot of it ends up flying out your tailpipe unburned.

So Lexus inserts a delay into the programming - which requires that the fuel addition never exceed the rate consistent with proper burning. IOW, you can't get a fuel-rich environment. The lag is long enough that the delay is noticeable. it seems to me that they should be able to do this with a much shorter delay - and still meet their economy and emissions standards.

Evidence for this is found in the fact that the Canadian versions are reported not to have the same problem (at least, this was true in 2003) - presumably because the Canadian emissions and economy standards are different, so they can allow for a faster fuel injection response.

But I agree. Someone is likely to get killed - and given that Lexus has had many, many warnings (as well as many dozens of complaints to NHTSA), they could lose big time.

By the way, everyone should make sure they complain to NHTSA at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/. They're apparently starting an investigation of the hesitation issues on the Lexus ES model.
    It seems like the cars under investigation are the 2002 to 2004 MY cars. Does that mean that the "problem" has been fixed for the 05 model ? Someone posted that he doesn't have any hesitation on his 05 ES but felt the hesitation for the 04 ES. Edmund's ownership experience survey also seems to confirm that although it is a highly unscientific survey. Incidently, my uncle who is hardly an aggressive driver often complained how sluggish the tranny on his 02 ES felt. He didn't go the lemon law route, rather he traded it in for a 2004 Avalon XLS. He is very happy with the Avalon which I think has the pre 2002 ES powertrain.
    I have hesitation when driving betwen 1-5 but not consistently, so I guess ALL hesitation issues haven't been resolved for the 2005.
  • cluelessmomcluelessmom Member Posts: 7
    I have a 99' RX300 and haven't seen this question asked yet. Recently, I have been experiencing a problem with a high idle (RPMs). I am driving along and notice that at 40 MPH my RPM gague is at 3. The faster I go, the hight the RPM gague goes. It feels like that engine isn't shifting down. The ck enging light also comes on. It will correct itself sometimes while I am in the same drive cycle and sometimes waits until I turn the car off. I have taken it to be diagnoised, but they can't seem to find the issue (they thought I was driving around with my over drive switch off - not the case). My gas mileage has been going down. My transmission fuild is full and looks good. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas what could be causing this?
  • alfromnyalfromny Member Posts: 1
    You are not the only one with this problem.
    I was accusing my wife of messing with the memory
    but now I believe her. The memory seems to last for about a week, and then it moves alittle here and there.
    I also have a creaking problem, I thought it was aloose seat, but now I think the problem is in the passenger headrest being too loose, and that is something that cant be fixed.
  • shocasershocaser Member Posts: 36
    Have you had the dealer look at the creaking issue? The bolts that secure the seat have pins that guide the bolts into place during manufacturing. These pins have no use other that assembly and tend to "bind" and cause a creaking sound. I had this problem when I got the car and thought that it was the steering column. The pins were removed and the creak went away.

By the way, replacing the seat did no good. I set memory 1 AND memory 2 to the same setting. 2 months later, I reset memory 1 to the correct setting. I showed the Lexus tech the difference in the settings 4 days ago. The seat moves forward from the original setting by at least 1 inch, if not 2. The techs response was to suggest that someone had changed the setting. I am pretty sure that this is just an example of a piece of equipment on the car that will never work properly (all though I am pretty sure that I will be told that it operates within design specs).
  • stretchkjstretchkj Member Posts: 4
    Go to this address to see the TSB: http://www.mycgiserver.com/~nonlinear/TSB.pdf

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about transmission problems - hesitation when accelerating and rough shifting. This TSB, titled "ECM Calibration: Shift Feeling Enhancement" - is a recalibration of the Engine Control Module. It is supposed to:

- Reduce downshift lag when accelerating
    - Reduce gear hunting when driving on/off accelerator pedal between 10 and 20 mph
    - Improve response rate during heavy acceleration from a stop
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    I spoke to a service advisor at a California Lexus dealership yesterday who informed that there was a new TSB for the ES 330 line, model years 2002-2005.

The TSB number I was given was: TC 004-03 for "ECM Calibration". I understand that it was issued for April, 2005.

I believe that the transmission in the RX330s are similar or the same as that of the ES330; whether the TSB may apply to you depends on when your car was manufactured.

I hope that this is helpful to those of you who are experiencing hesitation problems with these cars.
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    I had the update done on my 2003 es300, on thursday. I can definitely feel the improvement. The car shifts at higher rpm's and also doesn't search for gears at lower speeds.
  • bkinblkbkinblk Member Posts: 198
    Please update us after 500 miles. It will be interesting to find out if it has reverted back to it's old ways. WE HOPE NOT!
  • avalonkittenavalonkitten Member Posts: 20
    I have been having the shifting problems detailed in this discussion thread with my 2005 Avalon limited the past month. I bought on 4/5/2005. I have contacted the dealership who says they have no knowledge of the problem. I had diagnostics run on my car and the service department says there is no problem. However, I am still experiencing the same rough shifting, uncertain starts and hang time revving in the lower gears. There has also been dead time after I press the accelerator and when the car moves. The problem is none of it happens on a set schedule. I am wondering if the computer upgrade provided by LEXUS will also be applied to the new 2005 Avalons?? Anyone know??
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    You may want to check the Engine Hesitation Forum for more discussion on this topic.

There was an article around April 12 in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette that stated that the software fix was for all 2002 - 2005 Toyota and Lexus models with the 5-speed auto transmission. However, as far as I know, the only TSB issued so far is for the ES300/330. Someone (was it you bkinblk?) spoke to their dealership and was told that the software upgrade was intially being tested on the ES300/330 and would slowly be released over the summer, I think, for the other models. Also, bkinblk who posted above was told of a solenoid upgrade/repair for the hesitation problem.

Sounds like Toyota is doing something. If and when it will be applied to the '05 Avalon, I don't know. You could try calling the Toyota corporate customer service number. I answered someone's question in the 2005 Avalon discussion forum in regards to hesitation and the other posters there are pretty sensitive about discussion of a potential problem in the Avalon, LOL, and adamantly insist that the problem does not exist in the '05 Avalon. Could you describe your symptoms in more detail?
    -------------------
    Editting to add link to the referenced article:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05102/486687.stm
    USA TODAY had mentiond the hesitation problem when it reviewed the new Avalon. I posted a link in the Avalon forum but everyone dismissed it because they said the Avalon was perfect. :P
  • richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    Does anybody know if Lexus is going to fix transmission problems on the ES300/330? This problem is really annoying to drivers and can be potentially dangerous in heavy traffic. Who would spend 35k-39k for a car like this?
    Please advise. Thanks
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    My opinion is that they will not fix the problem before 2007, Here is why:

1) Toyota does not admit there is a problem.
    2) If there is a problem, it does not have an inexpensive solution. Lexus has tried using firmware to fix it, and it does not work, implying a system hardware/firmware redesign, which would be prohibitivly expensive for Lexus/Toyota. The fact that many drivers do not admit a problem does not help here.
    3) Lexus owners have been complaining about the problem for three years and no response from Lexus regarding a real fix.
    5) At this point, with fewer than two model years to go, I can't see a complete redesign of the drive train system, with Toyota replacing the system in all existing vehicles. I just don't see it, particularly since it has not been verified that it is a safety issue.

As a potential owner who cared significantly about the problem, I would wait until 2007 to see if the problem resolves itself. Even then, if I were a betting person, I'd guess the problem would be there in the 2007 vehicle, for another five years as well.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I agree with atoews on all points.
    It may be premature to assume that the recently released updated TSB: TC004-03 firmware upgrade won't be effective. Only time will tell. Based on the prior TSB update released in late '03 which didn't work, I assume that we will see a repeat and it won't cure the problem.

The real problem, imo, is atoew's point #1 "Toyota/Lexus does not admit there is a problem. Owner's have complained for three years and still nothing is done to "solve" the problem." Just band-aid firmware upgrades that attempt to appease the unhappy owners.

I have to agree with atoews that there must be a serious system hardware problem that would be costly to fix and Toyota/Lexus is unwilling to do so in the absence of proven safety problems. Notice that all of the new models (GS, Avalon, etc) are avoiding the same drive train.

The ES continues to slide in rankings against the Acura TL, BMW 3 series, and Infiniti; I believe because of the drive train issues with the ES.

I am scheduled to have the TSB update done during my next service visit. I will share my thoughts then. I will admit that I am biased and not expecting to see much improvement.

At this point, I wouldn't even consider the ES as an option if I was looking to purchase an entry level Luxury sedan. ( I have been a loyal Lexus / Toyota customer and have owned 2 prior Lexus and 2 prior Toyota vehicles ). This experience has been unacceptable for me to be a return customer again.
    The reason that I don't think the TSB is will solve the problem is that (as toydriver points out), 2002/2003 ES300 owners have had the opportunity to install their equivalent software, and most who have had this done said it helped a little but did not fix the problem.

I, too will have the TSB inplemented at my next service. I will also let folks know how it goes.
    Biased? I don't think so. "Biased" means that you have some opinion with no supporting evidence. In your case, you have 3+ years of observed behavior to support your belief. And if you don't believe you have been cognizant of three years of data, you can still go back that far on this thread to see for yourself.
    If not "biased", lets just say that I am SKEPTICAL that the firmware patch will provide a definitive correction to the problem.
  • gsb300gsb300 Member Posts: 2
    I just had the ugrade done today. Big difference. But the upgrade I had done last year worked well for about 2 weeks. It's like a different car. The dealer replaced the front warped rotors and pads. No charge. I'll know more in a couple of weeks after the computer picks up my driving style.
    That's very encouraging. Please keep us updated. The recalibration fix will only be proven after time, milage and differing driving conditions have taken place. Good luck!
  • bettersafebettersafe Member Posts: 92
    Why are there no reviews posted on Epinions.COM about these problems ?
    Yes, please keep us posted. I heard of cars reverting to hesitating ways within several weeks to months after having the previous upgrade. So even if all remains perfect, keep coming back and tell us so.

You also may want to consider reporting your results in the Engine Hesitation forum here at Edmunds ( http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4cdbd/1070 ) which has nearly 100% of the posts about the Toyota/Lexus problem. This is a good forum to discuss the problem and solutions collectively with owners of the other Toyota/Lexus models having this trouble.
  • sandiegodriversandiegodriver Member Posts: 16
    I had the transmission software updated about three weeks ago on my '05 330 -- so far, so good. It essentially eliminated the lag, but did not fix the sudden surge. So when I'm in stop-and-go traffic (which is nearly all the time), the car is more responsive than before, but still lurches forward rather than gradually. I share the negative feelings that others here have expressed about Lexus's response to the problem. The new software is an improvement (so far), and I feel lucky that it came just 4 months after I started complaining to them about the problem. I really feel for all you out there who have been fighting this for the past couple years. Well, I have learned my lesson, and will never buy a Lexus again. Back to Acura, or maybe Infiniti.
  • smirrorsmirror Member Posts: 3
    I asked a service representative in a Lexus dealer and also called Lexus customer service about the recent TSB. They all said only ES330s with certain VIN are in the list for the TSB and my 05 ES330 (bought in 11/04) happens to be not in the list, although it has a very serious hesitation problem. For the people who have the update done, how did you get them to do the update for you? Was your VIN in the list? Thanks for your input.
    A poster on the Engine Hesitation forum just had a solenoid replaced and tranny fluid level reduced and his first day results are no hesitation. He previously had the software upgrade to no avail.

About the tranny fluid, some owners were noting that the tranny fluid level was well over the maximum line when hot. Excessive tranny fluid could cause it to froth and end result could be hesitation. It would be very strange if this was the cause of the problem all along, but I doubt it. It would be interesting if others with hesitation could check the level of transmission fluid.

Will never know if bkinblk's (on the Engine Hesitation forum) results are due to the fluid level being drained or the new solenoid since both were done at the same time..
    I never had a software upgrade on my Toyota, since none is yet available. However, by process of elimination, I would first check the transmission fluid. Turn off the engine, wait about 5 minutes and pull the orange dipstick. Do this 3 or 4 times to be sure. If it is 1" over the hot-notch on the stick, (like mine), then you better get some drained. After day -one with a new solenoid and lower fluid, my car seems fine, but I am very cautiously optimistic- only time will tell. In case this "fix" doesn't work, I now have documentation from Toyota that my fluid was filled too high at the factory. BTW, it's a new 05 V6 XLE with 2500 miles.
    Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction.
    My dealer told me the same thing regarding VINs. That is, there is a VIN list of vehicles to which the upgrade might apply.

This indicates to me that some cars have the upgraded firmware out of the factory. It makes it difficult to do apples-to-apples comparisons of the problem on this board, because people generally won't know whether or not their vehicle has the upgrade version of the firmware. Another irritant.
  • amf1932amf1932 Member Posts: 79
    This is a post I made to the Lexus Owners Club:

"I started this thread on May 20, 2003, so if you go back to my first post it'll explain why I absolutely hated this ES's performance, from the time I picked up this brand new car from my Lexus dealer.

Well, I can finally tell you that I'm completely satisfied with this new transmission calibration. Gone is the hesitation! Gone is the transmission hunting for the proper gear to go into! Gone is the lagging feeling as you go from a standing start.

Today I picked up the car and immediately noticed a vast difference as I drove off the first time. Mind you, the transmission didn't even know my driving habits, so it didn't make any minor electronic adjustments to make it feel any better.

Now the car responds like a good transmission is supposed to.....downshifts at the proper RPM and upshifts at the proper RPM. Like steviej said in an above post, it sorta feels like a manual transmission, where you would normally shift the car. It's beautiful.

There is no more of having to adjust your driving style as you had to do before this upgrade. It now knows!!

Lexus finally got it right!"
    Please keep us updated. It would be great to know if the car DOES NOT re-learn your driving habits and revert to its old ways. Please post also on the Engine Hesitation forum.
    That's great news for all owners of Toyota-Lexus products with the V6. Not to be a killjoy, but we have had experiences of initial excitement turn into disillusionment after time and miles were put on the car (when it fell off the wagon, the computer took over, and reverted back to it's old habits). I wish you much satisfaction with the new fix and genuinely hope it remains "fixed". Please keep us posted with updates.
  • amf1932amf1932 Member Posts: 79
    OK.......I have only driven about 300 miles on my car(2003 ES) since this re-flash of the ECM and so far everything is about the same as the day I picked it up from my dealer......great!

One of the other members(steviej-2002 ES), from from the 'Lexus Owners' messageboard has driven his car approximately 1500 miles, and here are his findings:

"It has been almost 1500 miles since the reflash. (A round trip from Boston to Toronto will do that to your odometer)

1. The shifting is still very pleasing to me.
    2. There is no joggle at 40 mph.
    3. The shifting on the highway is very nice when passing and getting up to speed rapidly.
    4. Only once did I feel the dreaded redline and no shifting. However, it was from 10 mph, I floored it, going up a steep hill while turning right coming out of a mall.
    5. I am in learning mode too, so I am still getting used to the shifting. I keep expecting the old tranny to come back. So far so good.

My travel to Toronto and back was all major highways. I averaged 29.5 mpg for the entire trip, and it was mostly driving 75-80 mph.

I will post in two or three tankfuls the mpg for around town driving.

steviej"

So, at this point I have to say that everything seems to be A-OK.

Alan
    Thanks so much for the update. I hope other Lexus owners with the same upgrade will report as you have. Maybe the "poor mans Lexus" er, a , I mean, Toyota people, will provide us with an effective ECU reprogram in the near future.
    I have posted my impressions of the ES 300 transmission many times on this website over the past 2 years of my experience driving this vehicle.
    I had the latest software "patch" completed about 3 weeks ago and have subsequently driven about 1300 miles. This was mostly highway driving at speeds of 60-80 mph, but at least 300 miles of city stop and go and speeds from 0 - 50.

I will be as objective as I can, since I think this is extremely important given the significant (3+ years) history of documented problems with the 2002-2005 ES 300/330 transmission.

First of all, the service writer at my Lexus dealership (whom I have the greatest respect for) told me that I should expect the car to drive "just like it did when it was new". I have read this comment in several posts above and believe that it comes from Lexus headquarters. He also described that the change is primarily in adding new "shift points" which have been set higher to allow higher rpm and vehicle speed prior to shifting. He also said that it will take several thousand miles for the car to re-learn my driving habits - as before and as is characteristic of the "drive by wire" throttle system on the ES, RX, etc.

My experience is that the shift points are indeed higher. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is not noticeable, but shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th occurs at rpm close to 4000. I believe the car use to shift at around 2300rpm. The result is that I have noticed that the engine tends to "race" a bit when accelerating quickly from stop to highway speed. Personally I don't mind this change.

The other noticeable improvement is that when driving in stop and go traffic below 25 mph, the transmission doesn't "search" for the appropriate gear as much as before. It stays in 2nd longer and therefore the "abrupt" and "rough" shifting that was extremely annoying to me while in rush hour commuting (characteristic of the ES) is significantly improved.

The most noticeable "rough" shifting has occurred while accelerating up hill at around 30-40 mph. This was very rough and "worse" than I had remembered experiencing before the "upgrade".

I averaged about 28.5 mpg on a highway trip of 1000 miles, which I believe is similar to slightly better than what I had experienced prior to the upgrade. My usual daily commute average was closer to 22.5 mpg prior to upgrade, and I'm anxious to see how that compares - post upgrade.

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic that I will see some improvement. To quote Ronald Reagan, "trust but verify".

One other observation: while my '03 was in getting service, I was given a '05 model that demonstrated the same "hesitation, rough-shifting", and "gear-searching" that has been reported frequently in the posts above. I can't understand why some drivers of the ES don't notice these problems, which are clearly present in every ES that I have driven since 2002. I assumed that the loaner hadn't had the "upgrade" completed yet. It had about 8,000 miles on the odo, if I remember.
    Thanks for the informative summary. I just had the upgrade installed on my 2002 ES300 yesterday. I have driven about 100 miles of pure highway (60-75 mph) driving since the upgrade.

I feel as though the experience is rougher on the highway than it was before the upgrade, which is what has been advertised. There was a little bit of slipping/surging but it is not too bad, however.

Perhaps my highway experience stems from the upgraded transmission not having learned my driving style but I doubt it. I have driven numerous ES300/ES330s and my experience is that the "learning" thing does not have a large impact. I do not experience my own vehicle (which supposedly knows my driving style) much differently than I do the loaners I have driven.

When I have driven more in-city stop and go driving, I'll provide an update on that.

By the way, toydriver, I am with you in that I do not understand how some owners do not experience the symptom.
  • gsb300gsb300 Member Posts: 2
    I had posted a few weeks back that I had the new upgrade put on my car. After looking at the work order closely it said it had been installed which I assume was the upgrade I had done about a year ago. I reported that the car was running great. Well it only lasted about 2 weeks. I guess when the firmware level was check it reset the computer.
    Not every lexus owner reports the problem because not everyone has it. My 2005 has 7,000 miles and knock wood, not the problems you all have.

I have driven some with the issue and some without.

I do hope the latest fix is truly that because a lot of folks are unhappy.
    I hope for your sake that your car remains problem free. Many ES owners began to experience the transmission issues after several thousand miles. On the other hand, maybe your car had the upgrade at the factory.
    Well, you have to believe one of two things:

1) This is a Toyota drive-train design issue
    or

2) It is not a design issue, but some individual vehicle issue.

I believe it is a design issue, which means that all vehicles are impacted to one degree or another. I have driven 7 or 8 ES300/330s and have been able to repeat the problem in all of them. The problem does not feel identical in all vehicles, but it is close enough for me to conclude it is the same problem and it is in all vehicles. I am convinced that differences among drivers' experiences are more a result of varying driver perception than of actual design or manufacturing differences from one vehicle to the next. I might take it one step further and say that driver perception depends somewhat on the gap between drivers' expectations of what it should feel like versus what it really does feel like. I recall my sister saying she felt it but did not think it was a big deal.

I agree with many on this forum. It may not be a big deal on a less expensive car, but this is supposed to be a high class somewhat luxurious vehicle. The hesitating drive train should be somewhat of an embarrassment to a company who touts its "passionate pursuit of perfection". Well, they missed the mark on this one and it seems they should take responsibility for it. That they refuse to admit or accept that they missed the perfection mark on this vehicle is almost as irritating to me as is the problem itself and I suspect that a lot of owners share my sentiments.
    I agree that this is a design issue. What I find amazing is that many people on this forum write about how they hope that Lexus fixes this problem because they really want to get an ES-330. I think that any car company, especially a "premier" company such as Lexus, that treats owners the way that ES-330 owners have been treated, is not to be trusted.

I view the ES-330 as an entry level vehicle for Lexus. If this is how Lexus is going to treat me with the ES, there is no way that I will move up the model chain. As the saying goes, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    I think Lexus is merely a division of Toyota isn't it?

FWIW: there are owners in the Engine Hesitation - All Makes and Models forum reporting hesitation in Camry and Highlander vehicles as well for those interested in the topic.
    I agree. Lexus is a division of Toyota. However, Lexus is presented as the luxury division of Toyota, with a "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection". It is difficult to accept the poor treatment that Lexus (a division of Toyota) has given me when realizing that I paid a premium to purchase my Lexus (which I understand is built by a division of Toyota), expecting to receive premium customer service.