Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• Sorry to join in a bit late. Had a 2000 Boxster for 3 years. Had a full size, but not tour bag. If I took the driver out of the bag everything else fit in nicely.

Time to go and drive an '05 "S" to see if I want to delay retirement a few years and get back into the Porsche program.
  • Found myself at the local Porsche store yesterday. Figured it was time to visit my money. Drove a 2005 base Boxster, nicely, but not outrageously equipped. A noticeable and marked improvement over my 2000 base Boxster. Interior materials are vastly superior in feel, appearance, & quality. Body seems tighter. Gearbox has clearly shorter shift throws. Always outstanding Proche brakes are now even better with the cross-drilled rotors. All in all, a very nice evolution of the breed.

According to my sales guy, Prosche has tried to do something about golf clubs. He says that the right rear fender wall has been hollowed out a bit more so that clubs will fit without having to be taken out of the bag. Did not get a chance to try it as I did not have my clubs in the car I was driving.

All I have to do now is to see if I can justify $51,000 on a summer toy.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,591
    I subscribe to AutoWeek and in the classified section towards the rear they have dealers advertising quite a few leftover '04 Boxster & Boxster S models. While many don't list pricing, it has got to be pretty good with the 987s out already. I guess then the (rhetorical) question becomes...how good of a deal are they going to give me that would make it worth my while not to get an '05 at say $2K under sticker.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,733
    One of the dealers here in Cincinnati has been advertising $8K off MSRP on their leftover Boxsters.. I think they only have 4-5 left... Just for a reference point..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

online inventory. Shows a beautiful Dark Red/Black/Black 5 Speed 2004 Boxster. His advertised price on the website is $42,500. I'll bet they'd definitely sell that car for well under $40K just to get rid of it. We've had eight straight days of sunshine and NO RAIN here in the NYC area. Driving around after work today, I got bit by the convertible bug (envy those that have them and use them, want to take away the cars of people who drive around with their TOPS UP on a day like today). Too bad there's no money in the budget for a 3rd car :cry:

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Stop complaining!
    Just purchase a set of golf clubs with collapsible shafts.
    Why does everyone insist on running down the beautiful Porsche Boxter?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    ......the boxster look really personifies this nice looking vehicle.........ez
  • Just purchased my new boxster. Its silver and its a 98...I really really like it. I am not current with the cleaning methods. Anyone? Thanks ..ME
  • OH ya, my wife also purchased a boxster. It is a 2001 boxster S. It rattles in first gear, just upon engagement of the clutch and giving it gas. After total release of the clutch the sound goes away. What do you think this could be? Throwout bearing? This particular boxster has the 6 speed tranny....Any ideas, please advise....
    you've got a 98 Boxster and you're wife has an '01 Boxster S? Call me old fashioned, but shouldn't it be the other way around? LOL! All kidding aside, I wish I could be in that position (any Boxster is better than NO Boxster). How many miles does each car have? Did you purchase them from private parties or dealers? Are these your daily drivers?

• cc12359cc12359 Posts: 31
    Hi,

Anyone know how much is the hardtop and the wind deflector?
    Do they works well?
    How's the wind noise with the hardtop and just the deflector?

Thanks
  • I'm in the market for a Boxster, but don't know enough about them to decide if I want a Boxster or Boxster S. I'm currently looking for a used 2003 because I figure I can get it at a better price and I really want the glass rear window. I've read that the S is a little faster and handles a little better, but am I really going to notice the few extra horsepower? Am I better off saving my money and just getting the standard Boxster (especially since the S models seem so hard to come by?) Should I just get a 2002 model and have the dealer install a glass window in it?

Appreciate any insights you can share with a newbie. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_confused.gif
    confuse
  • I have a 2003 Boxster S with the optional 18" rims and the Porsche crest. Unfortunately while driving in New York City, I hit a pothole that caused a sizeable bend in the rim and made the tire go flat. I was able to limp to a gas station where the rim was hammered back to a point that the tire could be mounted and there apperared to be no leak. The car, which is a weekend vehicle, is resting quietly in a garage out of town. If after 6 days I notice that the air is low in the tire and want to get a new rim, can the crest be removed from one rim and put on another and what would happen in the case of the new Boxsters with run-flat tires? In my case, the tire was fine but the seal between the rim and the tire was broken. At least I had the doughnut in case all else failed.
  • dbthdbth Posts: 9
    Any info on when porsche will have bluetooth technology.
  • I'm looking at used Boxsters and S's, too. Probably in the $20-30K range.
    Seems to me for the same price you can get an S that is a year older or with more miles. I have a couple of general questions.

Would you recommend an older S or a newer Boxster.
    Would you recommend an S with higher miles or a Boxster with lower miles?
    Are there any model years to avoid for the Boxster or the S?
    What models have glass rear windows?

Thanks in Advance.
  • fantomfantom Posts: 211
    Don't be confused..........

Buy the newest, lowest mileage Boxster you can afford, S or base.

With some work, you should be able to find an '03 car, which was the first year of the glass rear window, in the very low $30K range.

Yea, you can use the center Porsche cap on a new wheel, but first try finding a wheel repair shop either through your dealer, PCA if your a member, or the yellow pages. They car usually be fixed. Another very good reason for 17" wheels, IMO.
  • chanderchander Posts: 21
    A dealer is offering a 02 S for 38.5K with 12.5 K miles-a resonable deal?
  • contadino2contadino2 Posts: 2
    Are you happy with the mid range stereo?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I'm more in the market for a new 911 than a Boxster, but in answer to your question regarding a used base or "S" Boxster, I would strongly lean towards the "S". I drove both back in late 2001 (2002 models) and the base Boxster was noticably underpowered, IMO. I ended up with a Honda S2000 at $32k instead of the Boxster S at $55k+, but there was no way I could have settled for the base Boxster over either of these two.

I'm not sure if the new Boxster's increase in horsepower diminishes the difference, but the added power of the "S" in 2002 was very noticable. Even the handling improvement was very noticable. And I am not a professional driver.
    The new Boxster with the 2.7L has just about the same straight line acceleration as the older, 3.2L Boxster S. These cars are much more about balance, smoothness and handling, than off the line "power". Both handle just about the same, as any professional driver will state, IMO, of course. The S2000 is a very nice, and VERY different car than the Boxster.

The only way to prove it, is to go for a looong test drive in each yourself. Good luck.
  • upononeuponone Posts: 4
    I'm looking at buying a used Boxster S and I'm wondering what the general reliabilty of Porsches are. Are they up there with Lexus, Acura, etc, or are they down there with the Chevy's and Chryslers? Also, if you get a hardtop replacement, does it actually replace the softtop or does it fit on over the softtop when it's down? I live in Oregon so it would be nice to have a hardtop for the winter, but not at the expense of convience during the summer.
    No nonsense reliability was a major factor that steered me to a Honda S2000 over a Boxster S in 2002. From my Porsche owning friends, they would claim there is no substitute and that Porsches are very well made. My neighbor tried to continue to contend this as he had his 1999 base Boxster in the shop at least 2-3 times a year for "little things" like a repetitive power top failure. In 2.5 years and 18,000 miles, my S2000 needed 3 oil changes, period.

I'm now casually shopping for a 997, but I'm in different circumstances today than in 2002. I can deal with a hassle or two without blowing a gasket on having spent top dollar for a Porsche and expecting Honda reliability. And there really is no Honda/Acura substitute for the 911.

On the hardtop, I strongly suggest you drive one before buying one. I almost dished out $3k for the S2000 hardtop. At 47 lbs, it fit over the (lowered) convertible top. But it made the 9,000 rpm engine feel like you were sitting in a blender set at the highest speed. The person who let me try theirs actually used it 3 times before retiring it to their basement. The Boxster is much less high strung than the S2000, so that might make a hardtop less offensive on the noise front. But it is not convenient to use or store and, IMO, of little value. I never regretted not getting it and I did drive the S2000 throughout the year (except in snow) in the DC area.
    You can get a used hardtop for the Boxster for about $1,000 on ebay, if you keep an eye on it.

Like the S2000, the hardtop goes on after the ragtop is folded down. The good news is you still don't lose any trunk space, and the car gets much quieter. All newer Boxster's, since '03, and the S model, since '01 I believe, have a multiple layered soft top that's quite good.

I'm on my 5th Porsche, and second Boxster, and they go in the shop once a year, for scheduled maintenance. Most of my Boxster friends will tell you the same story. When you need work, it's more expensive than a Lexus or Honda, but if you treat them well, they return the favor. Yes, I agree an S2000 is cheaper to maintain than a Boxster, but then it's a cheaper car, isn't it?
    Yes, I agree an S2000 is cheaper to maintain than a Boxster, but then it's a cheaper car, isn't it?

Actually, in some ways it isn't. The S2000 would have a fully amortized cost of over $45,000 if Honda did not write off virtually all of its ground up development costs as a "corporate marketing" expense. The base Boxster, on the other hand, yileds Porsche in excess of 25% profit on the car; the "S" even more. Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world, measured in gross margin; and they are far from the most efficient. It was guessed that the S2000 would cost Porsche more than $45,000 to produce. This information is from a confidential industry report by a business school buddy who is a senior director with a top strategic management consulting firm. Can't name him/it, but you can take a guess at Boston Consulting, Bain or McKinnsey.

At the suggestion of several, I am now considering a new Boxster S. I have a test drive scheduled for this Thursday, weather permitting. I expect I will like it very much, based upon the improvements made since I was last seriously looking in late 2001.

Just curious, why are you on your second Boxster? The resale value of the $60k Boxster S that I considered in late 2001 is now about $35k in the DC area, for a $25k hit. The resale value of the $32k S2000 is about $23k for a $9k hit. So it doesn't seem like a good car to buy and sell/trade as opposed to buy and hold. Perhaps you are leasing? Also, how have your other Porsches been in terms of reliability?
    What is a decent price relative to invoice or MSRP that one can expect to get a Boxster S?

The base MSRP is $53,900, with an invoice of approximately $47,100 a $6,800 (14% mark-up). The configuration I am looking at comes in with an MSRP of about $61,500.

What are the best prices buyers are getting?
    Man, are you gonna be a convert in a day or so. Many PPBB folk are reporting that 8% off MSRP can be had on an in inventory Boxster. A large number of cars are custom ordered, so a car with exactly the options you want may be hard to locate. If you order now, you'll get an '06 in about September.

I moved up to get the more powerful engine and glass rear window in '03. I had someone who wanted my '99 and I got a heck of a deal on the flip. I really wasn't actively looking to sell it. The only problems I've had, knock wood, were with my first Porsche, a 911T, because I didn't know how to treat her. Even then the problems were minor. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Far be it from me to argue with either your confidential sources ;-) or resale values which vary wildly. Good luck with your test drive.
  • cc12359cc12359 Posts: 31
    Year:2004
    Miles:5,829
    Price: $32,995
    5 Speed Manual, RWD, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Telescoping Wheel, AM/FM Stereo, Single Compact Disc, Dual Front Air Bags, Front Side Air Bags, ABS (4-Wheel), Leather, Alloy Wheels

If its clean
  • boxster1boxster1 Posts: 18
    I bought my first Boxster last October. It is the standard Boxster with a number of great options that brought the original sticker up to almost $50K, but I purchased it from the dealer as a year-old car with 5,000 miles on it and three years of warranty. I paid $35K for it and like having the extra $15 in pocket. Great car.

One question to throw out to the long-time owners though. The dealer charges $200 for an oil change. Is there a safe alternative to this, or is there a good reason for the big charge?
    about $55 in materials...9+ quarts of Mobil 1, Porsche filter and crush ring. Takes them 10 minutes. Dealers seem to charge anywhere from $100 up....$200 is high, even for a Porsche dealership.

If you don't know much about your car, it's a small investment to keep in their good graces, and it can't hurt to have an experienced eye check the undercarriage, if they do. If you want to save $100+ do it yourself. A web search will get you pictured instructions, it's easy, you don't need a lift, and after the first one, all it will take you is 30 minutes. Plus, you will feel good about it.

I wouldn't bring a Boxster to any Jiffy Lube type place, and I won't get into how often you need the change the oil. Check you Owner's Manual.
  • chile05chile05 Posts: 2
    I am new to Porsches, I have the chance to buy a Boxster S, 2004 (not the oldest version) with about 5M Mi or buying, for a few dollars less, a brand new Boxter, which way should I go?